Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Project Cars--You Get to Vote on "Hold 'em or Fold 'em"

Comments

• Options
    steine13steine13 Member Posts: 2,818
    edited April 2021
    Well, "rich older Californian" can't spell 'coeur'... car looks nice, though. I always wonder what the attraction is -- north of ten grand is money to most folks, the car is neither fast nor particularly pretty, nor is it 'safe' by today's standards.

Whenever I think about buying a car like that, I realize I'm trying to capture a feeling, or a mood, or a version of an earlier self... but all I'll be getting is an old car instead. Then the thought usually passes pretty quickly. But for a lot of people, this seems to work out, @fintail is just an extreme example of this, having gotten nostalgic at the ripe old age of what, 19? ;)

Now if I could get my hands on a 3-on-the-tree Chevy shorty van, I might just have to get it. THAT one was my favorite of ever, and it didn't make a lot of sense in 1995, either.
  • Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,558
    I love the NissanPU. doubt there are many around in that condition.

And the El Camino, if nit rusty, looks like a fun project car base. Pricey though for what it is now. But, I think my sense of value now is about 100% lower than what stuff seems to be selling for!

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,928
    edited April 2021
    I like that T-bird. Nicely optioned in all 80s goodness. Stereo with EQ, Ford tripminder and auto-temp.

Good color combo too.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• Options
    fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,175
    80s and 90s nostalgia is a big thing now, even shows devoted to it. And yeah, I often gravitate to older designs. That 123 isn't pretty in classical terms, but it is handsome, a throwback to the time when function defined form. I wish MBs today looked more like this. If it all checks out and has no needs, that's not an insane price for one, they have a cult.

CdA is a prime exodus location for well-off older Californians to escape - the real estate market there is psychotic, and it is a low amenity location in some ways, so workers stream over here for better wages. Wacky places. The newbies are also changing state politics which is really setting some off, but that's a discussion for another place :)

Here's a somewhat unusual van for you - body condition makes me think it might be originally from your area.

steine13 said:

Well, "rich older Californian" can't spell 'coeur'... car looks nice, though. I always wonder what the attraction is -- north of ten grand is money to most folks, the car is neither fast nor particularly pretty, nor is it 'safe' by today's standards.

Whenever I think about buying a car like that, I realize I'm trying to capture a feeling, or a mood, or a version of an earlier self... but all I'll be getting is an old car instead. Then the thought usually passes pretty quickly. But for a lot of people, this seems to work out, @fintail is just an extreme example of this, having gotten nostalgic at the ripe old age of what, 19? ;)

Now if I could get my hands on a 3-on-the-tree Chevy shorty van, I might just have to get it. THAT one was my favorite of ever, and it didn't make a lot of sense in 1995, either.

• Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,950
    I know its not really a Plymouth, but I'm impressed to see anything with a Plymouth badge with that many miles.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,323
    edited April 2021
    That Mustang could be a GLX.
    Verified, I opened my Mustang book that I got for xmas they had a picture of a red convertible GLX.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • Options
    Must have been a short term/rare thing, but that does make sense for the year. To me, GLX is a Tempo name, as ours was a GLX, hierarchy then was L/GL/GLX (later just LX, I think after 1985).

That Mustang could be a GLX.
    Verified, I opened my Mustang book that I got for xmas they had a picture of a red convertible GLX.

• Options
    texasestexases Member Posts: 10,711
    I know Mustangs could have wire wheel covers through the '80s...doesn't make it right!

I can't remember seeing wire wheel covers on, say, a Camaro.
  • Options
    steine13steine13 Member Posts: 2,818
    >> Here's a somewhat unusual van for you - body condition makes me think it might be originally from your area.

Well around here, at 31 years old, a van in that condition would be called "immaculant" ;) in a craigslist ad...
  • Options
    omarmanomarman Member Posts: 2,702

A time to embrace, and a time to refrain from embracing.
  • Options
    Oh well, so much for my memory...
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    Clean fintail on BaT

Actually not my color, but close, this is one shade darker. I'll be interested to see what it brings. I see a couple things to note - interior doesn't look like "leather" to me, and as far as I know, no fintail had "leather" dash trim. I see a color difference from the fenders to doors. This was originally a single carb car, duals are an upgrade, and come with the fun of having dual carbs. Being a 220 (no S), this lacks the side fin chrome seen on 220 S/SE and later 230S, and also lacks beauty/trim rings, which were also included on S/SE models. The white steering wheel reminds me I've been thinking for ages to have mine refurbished, and I appreciate the period correct radio and aircraft style seatbelts, like in my car. The starting noise and driving noise is very similar to my car.
  • Options
    I can guarantee that Porsche needs a lot more than an ignition switch, battery and gas. That might be enough to get to the step of figuring out everything else wrong with it.

• Options
    Another nice spring day, temps getting warmer. one window down weather - once it needs more than two windows down, I try be finished with driving before noon. Started and ran fine, but man some of the roads here are bad, even in tony areas - I'm going to need to find a cruising route and stick to it, it seems when I explore, I end up in roads that look like nukes are being tested in the area - I was expecting to see a wheel roll past me on some streets. Got several waves/thumbs up today, and the driver of the green W123 I mentioned had to chat me up about it - young guy who was amazed by the fintail, nice to see the old cars being appreciated by 20-somethings. Pic as usual:

• Options

We had a '95 Suburban 1500 4WD in that exact color scheme for 13 years, loved it.

• Options
    sdasda Member Posts: 6,988

I have a soft spot for the Citroen DS. They were truly unique.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• Options

Bad color on the Cougar but V8 and in nice shape.

Buick woody should be saved, nice options on that one. I’d rock it.

Suburban will be pulling a trailer or boat in the near future. Perfect tow rig.

Skylark sure is a period color

Mercedes wagon ... stay off the highway.

• Options
    ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,095

The Buick Estate wagon is a deal at $3K. Has the excellent Olds 403 under the hood.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• Options
    gsemikegsemike Member Posts: 2,287
    Checking around Marketplace
    2016 Charger Hemi Nice color, wheels and has a hemi but I didn't think that they did AWD with an 8. Also has column shift and it looks like front seats are cloth and rear are vinyl. Some weird fleet package and I wouldn't trust any Dodge w 150k, so I think price is hella high
    84 Trans Am looks pretty untouched which is ususual and claimed 29k miles
    Lambo kit. How does anyone list this with a 1 line description
    VW Super Beetle. Seller says not a hatchback. Was that a thing?
    Town Car that looks well preserved for those miles
  • Options
    Never was a VW Beetle hatchback. Seems an odd thing to put in an ad.

The Town Car does look OK but needs a whole lot more pictures. I notice he took a passenger seat pic but not one of the drivers side. I'm suspicious.

• Options
    Charger sounds like a cop car.

• Options
    gsemikegsemike Member Posts: 2,287
    stickguy said:

That's what I figured too but he also says one owner.
  • Options
    edited May 2021

Town Car pics are strange. Steering wheel looks blue/black and the seats are red.

I like the Trans Am

• Options
    I don't think that's a real Lambo. How could they not at least show the engine?
    Doesn't that Charger have a rubber floor covering?
  • Options
    gsemike said:

stickguy said:

That's what I figured too but he also says one owner.
    Sure. The one owner was the county, and this guy bought it at auction and is flipping it to you, so he never "owned" it. ;)

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    Definitely a Sham-bo. Also, AWD was available on the Charger Hemi, except for the SRT8, according to wiki.
  • Options

The Charger is a cop car. Look at the speedo. It says Certified just like the old CVPIs.

• Options

The Charger is a cop car. Look at the speedo. It says Certified just like the old CVPIs.

• Options
    OMG, that Fieroghini is just awful. Some of those pieces appear handmade by an 8-yr-old. I'm not sure if my favorite part is the Home Depot louvers, the Hot Wheels wing, or the Fischer Price headlights.

• Options
    edited May 2021
    Regarding that Lincoln's black steering wheel - I think that's an aftermarket wrap, better than the $10 Autozone spiral ones, but still a wrap.
    I wonder though why the wheel center doesn't look like this one:
  • Options
    @texases,
    That some in depth research! B)
  • Options

88/89 LTC steering wheels have the wood grain in the center. That wheel you posted is an 85-87 (maybe 84-87)

• Options
    Back in the late '70s our next-door neighbors had a lime green Chevy custom coupe like that except theirs had a white interior. I wonder what possessed GM to emblazon the steering wheel hub with "Classic" instead of "Chevrolet" or "Caprice"?
    I have grown to appreciate the Bunkie Birds over time and that one looks very clean. All it needs is the original wheels and covers and those current wheels sent to the scrapyard.
    The '89 TC looks nice enough and even the worn drivers seat leather could likely be reconditioned well enough, but I winced when I saw the holes in the door panels for aftermarket speakers.
    The one I would grab first is the '66 Town and Country wagon. That example looks very nice and is not crazy-priced for what you are getting.

• Options

I like that Anglia. Just begging for a transplant, though.

• Options
    This would be a fun accessory for the project car. MB offered fitted luggage into the 60s, and is now making at least a few some similar looking pieces. A little dear (this suitcase is around $700, I think), but it looks the part:

• Options
    skyisthelimitskyisthelimit Member Posts: 46
    fintail said:

This would be a fun accessory for the project car. MB offered fitted luggage into the 60s, and is now making at least a few some similar looking pieces. A little dear (this suitcase is around $700, I think), but it looks the part:

Love that vintage suitcase! My dad used to have one in the 80's.
  • Options
    Looks like George Bally’s case

• Options
    It'd be a fun accessory for the fintail, but as the fintail's trunk is spare parts/car cover storage, probably not going to happen (not to mention $700+ would be better spent on upgrading the car itself).

fintail said:

Love that vintage suitcase! My dad used to have one in the 80's.
  • Options

Taurus is an LX most likely a 3.8.... so yeah head gasket time.

LTD - make it a killer sleeper

Stang - fair enough

M6 - Gorgeous, wrong venue

Both Chrysler convertibles look like good deals.

• Options
    sdasda Member Posts: 6,988
    The color on the Mustang was the same color combination as mom’s 87 Taurus LX. I like the 300D, unique color, and the Capri could be neat to have. The interior in the 93 LeBaron convertible is the same (and very nice) as what I had in my 92 LeBaron GTC. I’ve only seen that interior in a handful of cars. BTW, my GTC was a 5sp, 2.5 Turbo. I regret selling that one.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• Options
    sda said:

The interior in the 93 LeBaron convertible is the same (and very nice) as what I had in my 92 LeBaron GTC. I’ve only seen that interior in a handful of cars. BTW, my GTC was a 5sp, 2.5 Turbo. I regret selling that one.

I see a black leather interior. Is that rare?

• Options
    mrwhipple311mrwhipple311 Member Posts: 53
    From the LeBaron ad "The car has been titled once to the original owner and then to his daughter which in my book is basically one owner of sorts and then to me"
    Delusional much? looks like 3 to me
  • Options
    andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    tjc78 said:

Taurus is an LX most likely a 3.8.... so yeah head gasket time.

LTD - make it a killer sleeper

Stang - fair enough

M6 - Gorgeous, wrong venue

Both Chrysler convertibles look like good deals.

Regarding the M6, is there such a thing as too much advertisement and exposure? Will Craigslist scrubs offer $10K or something ridiculously low?
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • Options
    If I had more spare money/time/space, I might take a look at that MB. I have a feeling it's a gem - documentation looks on point (love the window sticker), original radio is always a good sign, great color, 300D so it can at least keep up with most traffic, low mileage, PNW car - has a lot going for it.
    sda said:

The color on the Mustang was the same color combination as mom’s 87 Taurus LX. I like the 300D, unique color, and the Capri could be neat to have. The interior in the 93 LeBaron convertible is the same (and very nice) as what I had in my 92 LeBaron GTC. I’ve only seen that interior in a handful of cars. BTW, my GTC was a 5sp, 2.5 Turbo. I regret selling that one.

• Options
    I laughed at that too. Makes me think "First owner lived in Spokane, 2nd owner lived in Spokane, 3rd owner lived in Spokane, 4th owner lived in Spokane, 5th owner lived in Spokane, the guy I bought it from lived in Spokane, I live in Spokane, so it's more or less a one owner car".

From the LeBaron ad "The car has been titled once to the original owner and then to his daughter which in my book is basically one owner of sorts and then to me"
    Delusional much? looks like 3 to me