Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

Comments

• benjaminhbenjaminh Member Posts: 6,311
    edited May 2021
    It's petrol powered, but I've got a 600 mile highway range right now—even after driving 30 miles. A Hyundai Sonata hybrid has a range of almost 700 miles—city or highway.
    2018 Acura TLX 2.4 Tech 4WS (mine), 2018 Honda CR-V EX AWD (wife's)
  • henrynhenryn Member Posts: 4,289
    I have been reading about the new fully electric F150 coming next year. I could definitely see myself buying one of those. The 230 mile range is a little on the short side, but I could use the Pacifica for longer trips (which I very rarely do these days anyway). And with all of that horsepower and torque, that thing should be a blast to drive. Although buying new rear tires might get expensive!
    2023 Chevrolet Silverado, 2019 Chrysler Pacifica
  • ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,078
    It's a good thing Ford has the aluminum body on the F-150. Apparently elecrification brings with it a weight penalty of about 1000 extra pounds, most of which I presume is the battery pack.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,324

@benjaminh said:
    It's petrol powered, but I've got a 600 mile highway range right now—even after driving 30 miles. A Hyundai Sonata hybrid has a range of almost 700 miles—city or highway.

The longest I ever went on a tank with our Sonata, non hybrid, was from Chicago to just outside Pittsburgh, all highway miles, it was just under 500 miles. When I refueled the low gas light had not lit up so I had at least 100 miles more in the tank.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,298
    edited May 2021
    @henryn,
    The electric F150 is all wheel drive, so you'll end up buying 4 tires. ;)
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,975
    bwia said:

If you're still hesitant about buying an EV perhaps this new model might hasten your decision, the NIO ET7. It is expected to deliver 620 miles of range and fast charging. Oh! and it is made in China. Take a loot see.

It is definitely one of the better looking EVs although I am getting a little tired of the hatchback rear end...like to see a more formal notch roof.
    I can't buy a car from China because the government has held 2 Canadians prisoners in a windowless, prison cell for over 2 years...they were just businessmen held for espionage..in what is widely believed to be retaliation for the Canadian arrest of Huawei executive Meng Wanzhou until she is expedited to the U.S.
    I'd feel awful driving that car. Mrs D just got a new tablecloth on Amazon and it was made in China....that is not a big deal, the people there can use the work...but I can't give them $60k+s

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

@henryn,

My experience with four wheel drive trucks is from a long time ago, and they were definitely not full time 4wd. This one may be, now that you mention it. I saw a reference to two electric motors, apparently one for each axle?

edited May 2021
    henryn said:

@henryn,

My experience with four wheel drive trucks is from a long time ago, and they were definitely not full time 4wd. This one may be, now that you mention it. I saw a reference to two electric motors, apparently one for each axle?

@henryn If you don't floor it all the time the tires should hold up pretty good!

• jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,539
    ab348 said:

It's a good thing Ford has the aluminum body on the F-150. Apparently elecrification brings with it a weight penalty of about 1000 extra pounds, most of which I presume is the battery pack.

That reminds me of a guy I worked with back in the mid 80’s. One day he told me that his BIL would NEVER fill his gas tank more than half way because it added too much weight and that would give him worse gas mileage. He went onto say that there were a few gas stations that were very convenient to his BIL on his way to and from work (about 30 miles IIRC) so his BIL didn’t think he was being inconvenienced at all. I looked at him in disbelief and he said, “I’m serious, that’s what he does”. I responded with, “I don’t know your BIL so maybe I shouldn’t say this, but in my book he’s the definition of an a-hole”. His reply was, “yeah, I agree”.

I’ll never understand people’s infatuation with gas mileage more than anything else about car ownership.

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,298
    If the electric F150 weighs 1K more that an ICE F150, it will weigh about as much as the current Ram truck.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • ventureventure Member Posts: 2,871
    jmonroe1 said:

venture said:

I took out a loan and went to Lowes to get a 2x10x10. When I tried to get it off the stack I had to use both hands. That thing was wet and HEAVY.

It fit inside the Legacy with the trunk closed. :)

Had to pick up a few 2x4x8’s for the flip yesterday. They now cost $7.98 each at Home Depot. I at least get a 10% veterans discount.

When we bought the bulk of them a few months ago they were just over 6 bucks which was pretty high compared to what we were paying for them before the so called shortage.

The price of buying a flip house has gone up. I wonder why.

jmonroe
    I had to get a 1x6x10 this morning at Home Depot. It came from Sweden. :o

2020 Ascent Limited, 2024 Subaru Legacy Sport

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,644

benjaminh said:

Biden driving the new Ford F-150 Lightning EV. He said he was going to take it to 80.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FpwuhTTQl9A

I saw that. He’s as much of a car enthusiast as we are. IIRC, he once had a Corvette.
    He had a guest spot on Jay Leno’s Garage a few years back.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

jmonroe1 said:

henryn said:

driver100 said:

I saw this on the news the other night. A self driving Waymo taxi got confused by a traffic cone on the street. Happened in Phoenix.....Maybe someday I would trust self driving cars, and though they are in fewer accidents that cars driven by humans....at least if I am in an accident I would know it was my own fault.
    https://jg-tc.com/lifestyles/technology/watch-self-driving-car-struggle-to-understand-traffic-cones/video_889764e3-42f5-53ef-9365-893c727dbffb.html
    That’s what I’ve always said about self-driving cars. You can’t program common sense into them and you can’t teach them to cope with human mischief like brake checking, deliberately standing in front of the car or throwing pumpkins off an overpass. Even with less smart cars snow, ice or dirt will foul up the cars sensors and make autonomous functions fail.
    Heck, the rear view camera becomes useless in a heavy rain!
    Shush, we’ll have a poster buddy beginning to believe he’s better off without a backup camera. :s

jmonroe </blockquote

Today I was condemned to the purgatory of the airport garage and did dozens of back up parking exercises. In the dark of the garage the backup cameras were pretty useless. I relied on my experience and side view mirrors for about 90% of it. The only time I used the camera was when I was in one of those ultra fancy plush SUV where the side mirrors tilted towards the ground when you put it in reverse in case a rogue salamander should run under your tires.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,146
    jmonroe1 said:

I’ll never understand people’s infatuation with gas mileage more than anything else about car ownership. jmonroe

From 2010 to 2015 I made many trips on I70 to Columbus and back near Dayton to home. I'd get on I70 and put the cruise control on 60. The trucks then typically were governed at 62 or so or slower. The speed limit was 55 for trucks. I can't tell you how many times I looked in my mirrors to find a Toyota Prius or Civic or Accord drafting me. Some days I'd go 55 to listen to music and think on my drive over for some errand. Same thing. Here I am in V6 3800 leSabre and they're drafting me trying to get better mileage in their smaller, more efficient model.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

bwia said:

If you're still hesitant about buying an EV perhaps this new model might hasten your decision, the NIO ET7. It is expected to deliver 620 miles of range and fast charging. Oh! and it is made in China. Take a loot see.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IexOL0TP1Ik

One international incident away from no parts availability.

henryn said:

I have been reading about the new fully electric F150 coming next year. I could definitely see myself buying one of those. The 230 mile range is a little on the short side, but I could use the Pacifica for longer trips (which I very rarely do these days anyway). And with all of that horsepower and torque, that thing should be a blast to drive. Although buying new rear tires might get expensive!

I like the idea but I wonder what impact towing or hauling a heavy load would have on range. Not to mention tire shredding. When I drove the Tesla at work my “exuberance “ used up 15 miles of range in a 2 mile drive.

driver100 said:

henryn said:

@henryn,

@henryn If you don't floor it all the time the tires should hold up pretty good!
    What fun would that be?

• dino001dino001 Member Posts: 6,165

dino001 said:

You mean, as opposed to other cars that don't ever crash? :wink:
    The other cars have drivers in the seat driving them.
    Do they, really? They could have fooled me many times.

All I was saying is when Tesla crashes itself, it's big news, when Hillbilly crashes his Chevy, that's often not even a note. Dog bit man. BTW, I'm not even a big fan of Tesla or Musk.

2018 430i Gran Coupe

jmonroe1 said:

I’ll never understand people’s infatuation with gas mileage more than anything else about car ownership. jmonroe

From 2010 to 2015 I made many trips on I70 to Columbus and back near Dayton to home. I'd get on I70 and put the cruise control on 60. The trucks then typically were governed at 62 or so or slower. The speed limit was 55 for trucks. I can't tell you how many times I looked in my mirrors to find a Toyota Prius or Civic or Accord drafting me. Some days I'd go 55 to listen to music and think on my drive over for some errand. Same thing. Here I am in V6 3800 leSabre and they're drafting me trying to get better mileage in their smaller, more efficient model.

Those 3.8L cars were pretty efficient for their time. I was amazed at the mileage I got on long trips. 30mpg+ with a loaded car.

jmonroe1 said:

You're still driving that old LeSabre? They were good cars, and did last, but the last year was 2005, so yours must be a minimum of 16. How many times have you replaced the drive motor in the driver's power window?

@henryn said:

You are aware the all wheel drive and 4 wheel drive are two different things. 4WD locks the transaxle and therefore cannot be used full time as high speed turns would be impossible. I believe the new electric F 150 is all wheel drive which doesn't lock the transaxle.

@jmonroe1 said:
    That reminds me of a guy I worked with back in the mid 80’s. One day he told me that his BIL would NEVER fill his gas tank more than half way because it added too much weight and that would give him worse gas mileage. He went onto say that there were a few gas stations that were very convenient to his BIL on his way to and from work (about 30 miles IIRC) so his BIL didn’t think he was being inconvenienced at all. I looked at him in disbelief and he said, “I’m serious, that’s what he does”. I responded with, “I don’t know your BIL so maybe I shouldn’t say this, but in my book he’s the definition of an a-hole”. His reply was, “yeah, I agree”.

I’ll never understand people’s infatuation with gas mileage more than anything else about car ownership.

jmonroe

Well technically he's right, however the added weight of filling up the tank isn't going to be that much so the gas savings won't be noticeable. I mean gas weighs just over 6 pounds per gallon so you weigh more than a tank of gas for a car.

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,507
    I thought that an EV didn't have an actual differential/transaxle, just a motor at each drive wheel. so RWD has 2 at the back, and AWD just means they stick 2 on the front wheels also. so I guess in theory the computer can make it be 1 wheel drive if it feels like it!

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

@jmonroe1 said:

jmonroe

Well technically he's right, however the added weight of filling up the tank isn't going to be that much so the gas savings won't be noticeable. I mean gas weighs just over 6 pounds per gallon so you weigh more than a tank of gas for a car.

......actually 8.4 pounds. Maybe you use Lite gas!

edited May 2021
    venture said:

jmonroe1 said:

venture said:

I took out a loan and went to Lowes to get a 2x10x10. When I tried to get it off the stack I had to use both hands. That thing was wet and HEAVY.

Had to pick up a few 2x4x8’s for the flip yesterday. They now cost $7.98 each at Home Depot. I at least get a 10% veterans discount.

When we bought the bulk of them a few months ago they were just over 6 bucks which was pretty high compared to what we were paying for them before the so called shortage.

jmonroe
    ...a 1 X 6 X 10 what exactly.....from Sweden :p ?

jmonroe1 said:

ab348 said:

jmonroe
    ..............and if he felt like he might run out of gas he could carry a can with one or two extra gallons in the back just in case (that should work :D )

@stickguy said:
    I thought that an EV didn't have an actual differential/transaxle, just a motor at each drive wheel. so RWD has 2 at the back, and AWD just means they stick 2 on the front wheels also. so I guess in theory the computer can make it be 1 wheel drive if it feels like it!

@stickguy said:

Well the terminology used is AWD and I was speaking in general terms. Anyway AWD allows wheels to turn at different rates so in theory if only one wheel has traction the computer can only give that wheel power making it 1 wheel drive. 4WD all the wheels turn at the same rate regardless of which wheel has or doesn't have traction making turning difficult. Now in theory an AWD system can mimick 4WD but not the other way around.

@driver100 said:

8.4 pounds? You've been putting water in your tank.

driver100 said:

@jmonroe1 said:

jmonroe

or you are using imperial gallons?

@stickguy said:
    or you are using imperial gallons?

imperial gallons would be about 7.25 pounds give or take.

venture said:

jmonroe1 said:

venture said:

jmonroe
    I’ve also bought one-by white lumber from one of the big box stores that came from Sweden too. Years ago I even got one-by white lumber from Russia. I couldn’t help wonder if that would make me a commie but it didn’t. It was actually a pretty nice piece of lumber.

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
    venture said:

jmonroe1 said:

venture said:

jmonroe
    did you have to assemble it yourself?

• cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,504
    driver100 said:

Often wrong, but never uncertain.

'08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
  • ventureventure Member Posts: 2,871
    jmonroe1 said:

venture said:

jmonroe1 said:

venture said:

jmonroe
    I’ve also bought one-by white lumber from one of the big box stores that came from Sweden too. Years ago I even got one-by white lumber from Russia. I couldn’t help wonder if that would make me a commie but it didn’t. It was actually a pretty nice piece of lumber.

jmonroe
    Nice trees in Russia.

2020 Ascent Limited, 2024 Subaru Legacy Sport

@driver100 said:

8.4 pounds? You've been putting water in your tank.

........mine is a steam car!

• imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,146
    dino001 said:

All I was saying is when Tesla crashes itself, it's big news, when Hillbilly crashes his Chevy, that's often not even a note. Dog bit man. BTW, I'm not even a big fan of Tesla or Musk.

"According to FHP, it remains unclear if the Tesla was in Autopilot at the time of the crash."
    It will be interesting to see results of this part of the accident investigation.
    https://wsvn.com/news/local/3-injured-after-tesla-crashes-into-road-ranger-along-i-95/

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

Is there a sure fire way to get a "RESET" button to actually reset at an electrical outlet? I may have to hire The Guy. or Monroe!
    There's an electric outlet on each side of the kitchen sink. We have the Keurig on the left side. Today it didn't work - it did eventually when we plugged it in at another outlet.
    We have pushed in the reset button several times but nothing changes. There is also a test button on the bottom.

driver100 said:

Is there a sure fire way to get a "RESET" button to actually reset at an electrical outlet? I may have to hire The Guy. or Monroe!
    There's an electric outlet on each side of the kitchen sink. We have the Keurig on the left side. Today it didn't work - it did eventually when we plugged it in at another outlet.
    We have pushed in the reset button several times but nothing changes. There is also a test button on the bottom.

That is a Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter (GFCI) receptacle. If the reset button doesn’t work check the breaker. If the breaker is working properly, meaning it didn’t trip because of an over current condition, then the GFCI receptacle is bad. They do go bad over time. I have one in the kitchen that needs replaced because it is getting very sensitive and trips for no apparent reason.

They’re very easy to replace. Just turn off the breaker and go for it. No guy required.

jmonroe
    I thought my wife and kids to replace outlets and we replaced most of my sons new house, after doing some in the place my daughters BF bought 2 years ago. It’s really not hard. Just read instructions, have a current tester, and know which way to turn a screwdriver!

Oh, and always take a picture of the old one when you pull it out, before taking any wires off!

Thanks for the help guys. I actually got it working but not sure what did it. I found a skinny plastic pen and I really put pressure on one of those buttons........I think the reset one and it actually snapped back out.
    Then I did test and a little light I had plugged in came on. I'm not sure whether I pushed reset back in or not or the sequence but now it is working until the next time.
    Maybe the sequence of which button is pressed first makes a difference, but I definitely used a lot of pressure until the reset button snapped out!

Button could just be sticky.

• carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,497
    jmonroe1 said:

driver100 said:

That is a Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter (GFCI) receptacle. If the reset button doesn’t work check the breaker. If the breaker is working properly, meaning it didn’t trip because of an over current condition, then the GFCI receptacle is bad. They do go bad over time. I have one in the kitchen that needs replaced because it is getting very sensitive and trips for no apparent reason.

They’re very easy to replace. Just turn off the breaker and go for it. No guy required.

jmonroe
    Oh, that’s so nice to see you boys getting along.

driver100 said:

Thanks for the help guys. I actually got it working but not sure what did it. I found a skinny plastic pen and I really put pressure on one of those buttons........I think the reset one and it actually snapped back out.
    Then I did test and a little light I had plugged in came on. I'm not sure whether I pushed reset back in or not or the sequence but now it is working until the next time.
    Maybe the sequence of which button is pressed first makes a difference, but I definitely used a lot of pressure until the reset button snapped out!

There is no sequence once it’s tripped. When it’s tripped the only way to reset it is to push the “reset” button. If it takes an inordinate amount of pressure to get it reset, that isn’t an electrical problem within the GFCI, that could be mechanical binding of the plastic button and the GFCI housing. That is a worse problem because if the GFCI senses a fault it could mechanically hank-up and not trip. Therefore, you should hit the test button to see if it trips once a month or so. If it does that proves the GFCI will trip when it senses a fault and it’s not mechanically binding.

Too many people don’t take hitting the “test bottom” seriously as stated in the GFCI instruction sheet. Don’t be one of those dopes.

jmonroe
    Someone screwed up the wiring in my house, there are two GFCI units in the kitchen, and they are cascaded (the second is downstream from the first), which I'm pretty sure is a no-no. There are also two in the garage, and those two are also cascaded.

Perhaps our resident master electrician could tell me if that really is a no-no? I'm just guessing here.
    stickguy said:

Button could just be sticky.

I think it is along those lines....more than sticky maybe.....more like stuck and needed a good push.

carnaught said:

jmonroe1 said:

driver100 said:

jmonroe
    Oh, that’s so nice to see you boys getting along.

We have the utmost respect for each other in real life :p

jmonroe1 said:

driver100 said:

There is no sequence once it’s tripped. When it’s tripped the only way to reset it is to push the “reset” button. If it takes an inordinate amount of pressure to get it reset, that isn’t an electrical problem within the GFCI, that could be mechanical binding of the plastic button and the GFCI housing. That is a worse problem because if the GFCI senses a fault it could mechanically hank-up and not trip. Therefore, you should hit the test button to see if it trips once a month or so. If it does that proves the GFCI will trip when it senses a fault and it’s not mechanically binding.

Too many people don’t take hitting the “test bottom” seriously as stated in the GFCI instruction sheet. Don’t be one of those dopes.

jmonroe
    Good point....will try to test it more often. If I tested all the things that should be tested every month that would be a full time job, tire pressure, smoke alarms, carbon dioxide testers, change batteries annually in everything, vacuum alarms, clean furnace filters, put Mr Plumber down the sink, etc etc.

• sdasda Member Posts: 6,964
    I just read that another sedan will be axed. 2021 last year for the Mazda 6. Also the Mazda CX3.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

henryn said:

Someone screwed up the wiring in my house, there are two GFCI units in the kitchen, and they are cascaded (the second is downstream from the first), which I'm pretty sure is a no-no. There are also two in the garage, and those two are also cascaded.

Perhaps our resident master electrician could tell me if that really is a no-no? I'm just guessing here.

That is a no-no but only because it isn’t necessary. It’s not unsafe, just an overly expensive way to do the job. If this truly is the case all that has to be done is to remove the cascaded GFCI and replace it with a standard receptacle. That’s the advantage of using the load side of the first GFCI to power downstream outlets. It eliminates buying a much more expensive GFCI for each wanted outlet.

Put the cascaded GFCI in your spare parts bin for future use because it ain’t needed no more where it was. I’d hate to think a real electrician did this. Sounds more like a typical home owner tickerer.

Remember to turn off the breaker when reworking the circuit. We’d hate to lose you after getting you back in here again. :'(

jmonroe