Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

Comments

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,312
    boomchek said:

I had a extended warranty on my 07 BMW 328i I bought in 2011 just as the factory warranty was about to expire. I managed to squeeze in a leaky valve cover gasket about 50 kms before factory warranty expired, and then about 2 years later another valve cover gasket under the extended warranty, so it paid for itself. When that warranty expired, I bought another warranty around 2013 at around 120,000kms (80k miles?), and surprisingly didn't have to use it at all.

Only when the car reached about 180,000kms (110k miles) did I start having minor electrical gremlins with the steering lock and another valve cover gasket leak and an oil pan gasket leak. Other than that it was actually reliable. I eventually sold it dirt cheap. At 5 years and 8 months it was the longest I owned a car.

In 140k miles I only replaced the VCG once on my son's E90 328i. I wonder if the issue in your case was improper installation or use of a "white box" gasket.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,559

boomchek said:

I had a extended warranty on my 07 BMW 328i I bought in 2011 just as the factory warranty was about to expire. I managed to squeeze in a leaky valve cover gasket about 50 kms before factory warranty expired, and then about 2 years later another valve cover gasket under the extended warranty, so it paid for itself. When that warranty expired, I bought another warranty around 2013 at around 120,000kms (80k miles?), and surprisingly didn't have to use it at all.

Only when the car reached about 180,000kms (110k miles) did I start having minor electrical gremlins with the steering lock and another valve cover gasket leak and an oil pan gasket leak. Other than that it was actually reliable. I eventually sold it dirt cheap. At 5 years and 8 months it was the longest I owned a car.

In 140k miles I only replaced the VCG once on my son's E90 328i. I wonder if the issue in your case was improper installation or use of a "white box" gasket.
    Today I saw a red 325i stick on the road. I’m guessing from the bumpers it was early to mid 70s. The thing that impressed me was how tiny it seemed compared to a modern 3 series.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

boomchek said:

Today I saw a red 325i stick on the road. I’m guessing from the bumpers it was early to mid 70s. The thing that impressed me was how tiny it seemed compared to a modern 3 series.
    BMW didn't offer a 325i until 1985, so it was likely an E30:

You are right about the size, however- the current G20 3 Series is 10 inches longer than an E30 3er.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,464

boomchek said:

I was thinking the same thing. Tissue paper should last as long as the Canadian gaskets @boomchek check had installed.

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,964
    jmonroe1 said:

boomchek said:

I was thinking the same thing. Tissue paper should last as long as the Canadian gaskets @boomchek check had installed.

jmonroe
    How many times do you reuse the same tissue paper? I could ask another question along the same lines....but I won't.

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

driver100 said:

jmonroe1 said:

boomchek said:

jmonroe
    How many times do you reuse the same tissue paper? I could ask another question along the same lines....but I won't.
    Who said anything about reusing tissue paper? :s

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
    @jmonroe1
    You did! You said "Tissue paper should last as long as the Canadian gaskets @boomchek had installed." which means to me that your tissue paper lasts as long as boomchecks gaskets, which is a fairly long time for tissue paper.

driver100 said:

@jmonroe1
    You did! You said "Tissue paper should last as long as the Canadian gaskets @boomchek had installed." which means to me that your tissue paper lasts as long as boomchecks gaskets, which is a fairly long time for tissue paper.

You used the word “reuse”. I never said anything about “reusing” anything.

I do however like your cartoon but it has nothing to do with tissue paper. You’re doing a mix and match again.

jmonroe
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,499
    Imagine
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester

boomchek said:

You are right about the size, however- the current G20 3 Series is 10 inches longer than an E30 3er.
    It must have been an ‘85 then because it looked like this:

I guess they kept those big bumpers into the 80s.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

boomchek said:

It must have been an ‘85 then because it looked like this:

I guess they kept those big bumpers into the 80s.
    Around 1988 BMW ditched the "diving board" bumpers and went back to a simpler and better integrated style on both the E20 3er and the E24 6 Series.

I started up the 2 Series today and got a warning that my left front turn signal bulb was out. I was incredibly annoyed; I knew the smart thing to do was to trade the car immediately, but my dealer was closing in less than 45 minutes. I had no choice but to risk possible permanent injury and impairment and replace the bulb. As it turned out, the bulb cost $3.44 and only took a few minutes to install; I breathed a huge sigh of relief, but still wished I had bought a new car instead.

I had a similar experience. At the annual inspection my cargo van had a backup light bulb out. My mechanic suggested I scrap it but I asked if he could just change the bulb. Reluctantly he did despite his concerns. :D

After the repair he still said I should scrap it. :o

• imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,132
    I'm still trying to figure out how to use my radio with its bluetooth and USB capabilities for playing music and other people are rubbing it in about their expertiese at replace parts on their cars.

On the other hand, I know when to let The Guy replace the front struts. I did that 3 times on my leSabre and won't do it again. I don't even think I'll do wheel bearings again. But that could change if I ever have one go bad on my GM product.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

jmonroe1 said:

driver100 said:

@jmonroe1

I do however like your cartoon but it has nothing to do with tissue paper. You’re doing a mix and match again.

jmonroe
    Do we really want to go around in circles on this? Boomcheck said he had to replace a gasket after what I would estimate was about 60k miles. You said a tissue lasts as long as boomchecks gasket. I would guess you would have to reuse the tissue if you kept it for the equivalent of 60000 miles or probably 5 years. You have to think outside the box...I know, it's hard for most people to keep up.

Glad you liked the cartoon, at least you got that!

• andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    I asked about coolant mixing with oil and/or vice versa:

Answer: Lots of coolant in the oil. No oil in the coolant.

What says the peanut gallery?
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    Audi sent me a survey request to ask about my contact with the Audi Customer Experience Advocate. If I participate, I get a $15 off coupon for $75 or more spent; LOL!
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
    driver100 said:

jmonroe1 said:

driver100 said:

@jmonroe1

jmonroe
    Do we really want to go around in circles on this? Boomcheck said he had to replace a gasket after what I would estimate was about 60k miles. You said a tissue lasts as long as boomchecks gasket. I would guess you would have to reuse the tissue if you kept it for the equivalent of 60000 miles or probably 5 years. You have to think outside the box...I know, it's hard for most people to keep up.

Why would you “guess” that? Once you install the tissue you leave it alone. Seems pretty simple to me. As for thinking outside the box, there are times, I don’t know how you think.

jmonroe
    andres3 said:

Audi sent me a survey request to ask about my contact with the Audi Customer Experience Advocate. If I participate, I get a $15 off coupon for $75 or more spent; LOL!

WOW, they’re all heart.

jmonroe
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,889

@andres3 said:

It is common. Thinner coolant pushes through openings much easier than thicker oil.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

Imagine

Man of few words, at least you get credit for one post. There should be at least a 10 word requirement to get credit for a post.

jmonroe1 said:

driver100 said:

jmonroe1 said:

driver100 said:

@jmonroe1

jmonroe

Why would you “guess” that? Once you install the tissue you leave it alone. Seems pretty simple to me. As for thinking outside the box, there are times, I don’t know how you think.

jmonroe
    Oh, you mean use tissues instead of a gasket. I thought you meant tissues to blow your nose last as long as his gasket did.

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,029
    You two need to take this outside.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

I passed a car yesterday and I can't figure out what it was. I thought the insignia on the rear was a Lexus one. It was almost flat gray with a blue hue in it. It was obviously Asian, but looked like an Asian version of a BMW because it had minimal chrome or creases on it. The tailights stretched completely across the back...from one side to the other. I checked pictures of Lexus's but they all have the same grill, this one had a very low grill, and on the hood there was a single crease down the middle that looked like an older Corvette....I am showing it here because you don't see that used too often lately.

The front was low like the Corvette too....
    I wonder if it was a KIA K5. The tailights were similar to this but I don't think as fancy, and the sides seemed plainer with no creases or chrome, color was flatter too;

This is the closest I can get to it....2020 KIA K5;

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,435
    a Stinger?

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

edited October 2021

I'm still trying to figure out how to use my radio with its bluetooth and USB capabilities for playing music and other people are rubbing it in about their expertiese at replace parts on their cars.

On the other hand, I know when to let The Guy replace the front struts. I did that 3 times on my leSabre and won't do it again. I don't even think I'll do wheel bearings again. But that could change if I ever have one go bad on my GM product.

If it helps, I don’t even know what USB stands for. The Guy does pretty much everything now.

What do you use to compress the struts when doing that job? I think I could do it if I was sure one wouldn’t break loose and hit me in the face.

edited October 2021

If it helps, I don’t even know what USB stands for. The Guy does pretty much everything now.

What do you use to compress the struts when doing that job? I think I could do it if I was sure one wouldn’t break loose and hit me in the face.
    The local box store loans the compressors for the spring. Hooks with a screw thread that you can turn to compress the spring while replacing the strut.

andres3 said:

Does it have an internal water pump? Ford had problems with those leaking coolant into the oil and causing a sudden catastrophic engine failure.

stickguy said:

a Stinger?

The side is similar except for the air scoop thing. Also, the Stinger doesn't have a pointed crease on the hood, and the rear lights don't go right across the back. This is a mystery, I wonder if it was a test car.

• cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,499
    ab348 said:

Maybe just one of them.

'08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
    ab348 said:

We are having a gentlemanly discussion about tissue paper. I think we have even discovered a new topic, never before discussed here before.

That reminds me, once this friend told me he stocks up on toilet paper, he buys it by the gigantic case load and saves a few dollars.....he said I should do it. I said, with my luck I'd buy it, then I'd get hit by a bus, and I would have all of this toilet paper in my basement when I could have used the money to buy a nice dinner!

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,029
    driver100 said:

We are having a gentlemanly discussion about tissue paper.

It looks to me like one of your regular p*ssing matches with your usual adversary. Both of you need to stop.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

driver100 said:

jmonroe1 said:

driver100 said:

jmonroe1 said:

driver100 said:

@jmonroe1

jmonroe

jmonroe
    Oh, you mean use tissues instead of a gasket. I thought you meant tissues to blow your nose last as long as his gasket did.
    Did anyone understand that response? :s

jmonroe
    ab348 said:

Stay out of this. B)

If I could have gotten a coherent answer this would have ended already but I’ll let him have the last word just to keep him quiet. It’s better that way. He can wear you out.

jmonroe

ab348 said:

Maybe just one of them.

Yep, I believe you.

jmonroe
    Change.
    I tried to find this to post on October 12 for National Farmers Day but it got
    lost in the Lords of Disappearing files on my downloads.

It showed back up today...

Since I was reared on a farm, I can enjoy this. The bib overalls bring back
    memories--at least they don't have horizontal stripes...

• snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,290

@driver100 said:
    Man of few words, at least you get credit for one post. There should be at least a 10 word requirement to get credit for a post.

Yes.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

• snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,290

@driver100 said:
    We are having a gentlemanly discussion about tissue paper. I think we have even discovered a new topic, never before discussed here before.

That reminds me, once this friend told me he stocks up on toilet paper, he buys it by the gigantic case load and saves a few dollars.....he said I should do it. I said, with my luck I'd buy it, then I'd get hit by a bus, and I would have all of this toilet paper in my basement when I could have used the money to buy a nice dinner!

My wife buys it buy the big package that has like 48 rolls in it. Not hoarding just buying the largest package. With just the two of us it lasts some time.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

• mjfloyd1mjfloyd1 Member Posts: 3,221

@cdnpinhead said:
    Imagine

All the people, living life in peace…

• mjfloyd1mjfloyd1 Member Posts: 3,221

@andres3 said:
    Ultra long warranties is what came to mind... Hyundai/Kia. And that extended warranties might not be a complete waste of $$$ after all.

There is something to be said about your considerations though. Honda was the right antidote to my Dodge experience.

Hyundai/Kia and @andres3 ?? :)

Change.
    I tried to find this to post on October 12 for National Farmers Day but it got
    lost in the Lords of Disappearing files on my downloads.

It showed back up today...

Since I was reared on a farm, I can enjoy this. The bib overalls bring back
    memories--at least they don't have horizontal stripes...

I remember seeing that pic years ago but the caption was, "I'll show you mine if you show me yours". This photoshopping has gotten out of hand. :@

jmonroe
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,435
    it might save a few cents per roll to get the massive pack, but I am trying to have less clutter in the house, not more. I would rather get a smaller pack and get it every 3 months instead of once a year.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

stickguy said:

it might save a few cents per roll to get the massive pack, but I am trying to have less clutter in the house, not more. I would rather get a smaller pack and get it every 3 months instead of once a year.

Agreed, why have all your money tied up in toilet paper?

edited October 2021
    jmonroe1 said:

ab348 said:

Stay out of this. B)

If I could have gotten a coherent answer this would have ended already but I’ll let him have the last word just to keep him quiet. It’s better that way. He can wear you out.

jmonroe
    Please explain (notice how polite I am being) how tissue paper lasts longer than his gasket, then I will understand the comparison. Thank you in advance for your kind response.

stickguy said:

OK, and when the media inspired hysteria spurs a run on TP you’ll be able to use the leaves that you rake up. :s

stickguy said:

OK, and when the media inspired hysteria spurs a run on TP you’ll be able to use the leaves that you rake up. :s
    Thank you. This explains why we have two 45 roll packages in the basement in addition to rolls stored in each of the 3 vanities in the house.

Disclaimer: One of those 45 roll packages is because Mrs. j lost count of what we had so when we were shopping last week she got another 45 roll package. If anyone runs out let me know, PLEASE. :'(

jmonroe
    @jmonroe1
    Blames it on poor Mrs J. He is trying to corner the market on T-paper so he can make a killing if there is another shortage.

• abacomikeabacomike Member Posts: 12,255

@driver100 said:

Driver, one of these days you are going to learn how to make friends rather than barking up the wrong tree and aggravating an already tense situation. In other words - be nice rather than digging a deeper hole for yourself. 🤪😜🤓

2021 Genesis G90

edited October 2021
    abacomike said:

@driver100 said:

Driver, one of these days you are going to learn how to make friends rather than barking up the wrong tree and aggravating an already tense situation. In other words - be nice rather than digging a deeper hole for yourself. 🤪😜🤓

Thanks Mike....don't worry about me, I don't need friends who make negative comments. I have enough friends and I choose people who are positive and show respect for everyone. :p