Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Wheel Alignment 101 questions!!

LionHeartLionHeart Member Posts: 1
edited August 2021 in Audi
Hi Guys!

Looking at doing wheel alignment for my A6 myself. Looked on YouTube and dozens of useful videos there covering this subject in-depth, BUT three questions!!!

1) For toe in and out, whether using string method, or laser etc the theory seems to be the same. The Toe In and Out can be checked by checking the alignment against the rear wheel on the same side. This seems to be VERY common in the videos. But how do you know that the rear wheel will be straight? It is simply because it does not steer and so, in theory, should always be straight???

2) For toe in and out (again) another method is to use two plates against the front wheel and measure the gap between them at the front and rear of the wheel. So this would show toe in/out if the measurements are different, but how on earth would you know which side the in/out is happening on as there is no other point of reference, so you could set it with the toe in on one wheel, and toe out on the other and the measurements would be the same, but both wheels would not be straight!!??!!

3) My last question relates to Camber. I've seen a lot of the spirit level type of tools which have a magnet on the bottom and stick on to the brake rotor (disc) and measure the camber that way. BUT this is done with the wheel removed and car jacked up - but how do you know that when the suspension is drooping (i.e. jacked up) that the rotor angle is the same as when the wheel is on and weight on the suspension?? I would guess that the angle would be very different, or is my logic off?

Any help with these three questions much appreciated!!!

Comments

• rickdonrickdon Member Posts: 123
    edited August 2021
    Sorry I have no idea. Have no plan of trying it because I don't think I have the patience and skills to achieve the level of precision required to complete this task.

As a matter of fact, I just went to a local shop to have my new ultra wheels installed and get an alignment.
  • Mike_K3502Mike_K3502 Member Posts: 1
    I'm new to this forum. I'm 59, retired and don't drive very often but a very good driver. So, about two months ago, I had 4 brand new tires (Continental TrueContact Tour
    235/55R19) put on my 2014 Chrysler 300 AWD V6 with an alignment done. I have approx. 55, 000 miles on my car. So, a couple of hours ago I went up to Taco Bell and after I got my drive thru food as I was going around there very tight turn my left front (drivers side) wheel went partially up on the curb which was about 4 inches high approx. My question is how likely is it that it may have thrown my wheels out of alignment again? This did not exactly put a smile on my face when it happened because I am a very responsible driver and try my best to take care of my car! I have no auto mechanical experience other than just common knowledge. Thanks.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,527
    I'll guess chances of any issues are slim. Pay attention to how it drives and tracks.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• thecardoc3thecardoc3 Member Posts: 5,745

So, a couple of hours ago I went up to Taco Bell and after I got my drive thru food as I was going around there very tight turn my left front (drivers side) wheel went partially up on the curb which was about 4 inches high approx. My question is how likely is it that it may have thrown my wheels out of alignment again?

It's unlikely that this affected the alignment, but there is an easy well to tell. Before this happened, when you were traveling straight down the highway, would your steering wheel have been level with the dash?
    If it was then and it is still level now, then the alignment did not change. If the steering wheel is no longer straight with the dash, then the alignment did change.

If you do not know if the wheel was straight prior to this incident and it isn't straight now when traveling straight down the road, then it would be a good idea to get the alignment checked.