Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Civic: Problems & Solutions

Comments

• bjk2001bjk2001 Member Posts: 358
    rangers_f:

You know your local Honda dealers have their own maintenance schedule. Typical they will do more than manufacturer's suggested. Selling car just part of their business, service is more of their business especially @ their rate. Also most of the time dealer's service department has to purchase parts from dealer's parts department. You can imagine their mark up.

Best is to follow Owner's manual, I think it has more detaisl than Honda owner's link website schedule.

Regards,

bjk
  • mogeemogee Member Posts: 1
    Help Auburn63, brorjace, everybody!!

2000 Civic 5 speed, ~ 26k, regularly maintained. Problems:

1. Most troubling: Since I first bought my "old man" car, when accelerating, it feels like something is pushing on the car and holding it back, until something kicks in, and the car finally accerlerates like it should. I am not expecting the car to go 0-60 in 2 seconds, but the delayed acceleration is not normal. My sister's 12 y.o 110k Corolla has smoother pick-up than my Honda. Dealer could not find anything. Ideas?

2. Since I first bought the car, I infrequently encounter excessive engine churning when I try to start the car. Only seems to happen within 1-6 hours after the car has been driven, not after car has been sitting overnight. Again, dealer found nothing.

3. Lately, clutch is making ratchet-like sound after city driving for 8-10 miles. Happens when pedal is pushed down and released. Dealer oiled it; no change. Clutch performs ok, just noisy.

I plan to go to another dealer before warranty is up, but I would love to know where to tell the dealer to look to diagnose/cure the problems and recognize any dealer b.s. All help is greatly appreciated!
  • auburn63auburn63 Member Posts: 1,162
    For problem 1, have you tried a differant brand of gas? Maybe even try a tank or two of Techron fuel additive or a fuel injection service. Other than that cant think of anything.

have no idea on other two problems without being able to check it out. Possibly a TW sensor on the hot restart but thats a long shot..
  • igloomasterigloomaster Member Posts: 249
    Hello
    thinking of buying a 2002 LX auto w/a/c.

I'm a musician and will be transporting roughly 300 - 400lbs of cargo in the trunk and some in the back seat -- -- on a regular basis.

No, I don't want a truck or van.

Question: can the Civic 1.7 liter engine handle carrying this weight, or will it be constantly straining and thus could wear out fast?

I guess the weight is about the same as transporting 3 adult passengers in addition to the adult male driver, all the time.

Anybody have any experience to share?
    thanks!!
  • ronin_88ronin_88 Member Posts: 18
    Regarding your paint chipping issue, this is a very common problem on almost ALL new cars these days. People on a Mazda board I go to have a huge beef with this issue. New cars these days seem to have very thin paint and clear coats compared to older cars, so I wouldn't worry about it. It may look nicer than before, but I agree that it is more fragile.
  • ronin_88ronin_88 Member Posts: 18
    3-400 lbs should be fine for your LX. Your mileage might to down a bit, but it shouldn't overly strain your engine.
  • spokanespokane Member Posts: 514
    400 pounds of cargo plus the driver is borderline for the Civic. Check the GVW label. However, if 300 pounds or more of the load are in the trunk, handling would be poor and the rear suspension will be almost bottomed. But you need not speculate - try it. Load up a demonstrator, and give it a try over the types of roads you expect to travel. If the rear suspension performs OK, you could go ahead with this choice at the expense of some wheel alignment difficulty, poorer tire life and the handling deficiencies which you already evaluated. Engine, transmission, brakes, and other systems should tolerate this load OK if you are within the GVW limitation.
  • casecom2casecom2 Member Posts: 72
    Hi all. I have a '96 LX Sedan, auto trans.

My problem is on a cold start, a clacking noise (knock? ping? Not sure) comes from the engine for a few minutes until the engine warms up. Sometimes the noise is loud, sometimes soft; it speeds up with the RPM of the engine. It happens during idle as well as acceleration, although it can be louder during acceleration. When the engine warms up the noise disappears.

It happens only in cold or cool weather, mostly 55 degrees F or below. If it's 80-degree weather: no noise.

I thought it was maybe an oil problem, but I took it into the dealer last winter (left it overnight so they'd have a cold start) and they dismissed it as "normal fuel injector noise."

But the problem persists, and it's gradually getting worse each winter. It didn't happen at all for the car's first three years or so.

I've kept up with all scheduled maintenance. Oil is 5W30, as per owner's manual. Level is good.

Any ideas? Car is in fine shape otherwise. Should I have the fuel injectors cleaned?
  • acuraowneracuraowner Member Posts: 57
    Sounds like you may need a valve adjustment, have you ever had this done? It should be done every 30,000 miles.
  • casecom2casecom2 Member Posts: 72
    thanks for the response ... I searched for "valve adjustment" on the Web and you're right, I do show the symptoms of needing one.

Funny thing is, I looked up my receipt for my 60,000 maintenance from last summer (cost: $395) and sure enough "Adjust Engine Valve Clearance" is on the checklist. I bet they just never did it.

Is this something I should have done now to prevent damage to the engine, or should I wait until fall when the problem will become more evident?
  • acuraowneracuraowner Member Posts: 57
    I can't say for sure whether it will hurt anything or not. You might want to go to another dealership to have it checked out.

My Integra (which had a valve adjustment within the last 3,000 miles) has pretty much the same symptoms as your car, slight knocking (not loud though) for the first 5 minutes or so on cool mornings and sometimes no knocking at all. I just attribute it to old age (my car has over 100,000 miles).

Still get it checked though. They may have not done it properly or just did not do it at all.
  • RonaHRonaH Member Posts: 12
    Anyone with any info about the dimming of the headlights on a 2002 Civic EX when the compressor in the A/C system comes on? Thanks!
  • melissaharrismelissaharris Member Posts: 3
    Hi All! I am not a mechanic, so please bear with me. I am hoping that someone may have some ideas. Here is the timeline of problems with my 1996 Civic LX with 110K miles:

--Two months ago: My check engine light comes on. I don't think too much of it and promise myself to have it looked at in a couple of weeks...

--6 weeks ago: My check engine light is still on, and my speedometer quits. At this point I decide to bring her in.

--First Mechanic Work: My first mechanic tells me that I need new o2 sensors and a new alternator, so I get both.

--10 days after going to first mechanic: my check engine light comes back on, my speedometer quits (at same time) and lights in dash begin to blink. The next day, the car dies driving home from work (10 miles).

--Second Mechanic: I bring my car to a new mechanic who tells me the alternator that was placed in my car was no good and I need a new one. I go ahead and get a new alternator. 5 days later, the check engine light comes back on, the speedometer quits and the dash lights start blinking (same time). A couple of days later, the car is AGAIN dead.

--Second Mechanic, second time: I bring my car back to the mechanic. He charges up my battery, clears the check engine codes from the computer and touches the fuse with some tool ( I don't know what it is). The car will run perfectly for a couple of days, and then the same things will happen again.

This is were I am at now. I can't afford to keep putting money into this vehicle, but I love it and would like to fix it. I think that my mechanic is bewildered, but I am not sure. I am starting to think that the Fuse attached to the Alternator and Speedometer is broken or something, since both things quit at the same time.

Can anyone out there PLEASE give me some ideas???? I would be eternally grateful to you!!

Thanks in advance for any help!

Melissa
    I am almost for sure that there is an old service bulletin that covers your problem. There is a wire harness that rubs up against the support bracket for the intake manifold under the manifold. When this wire rubs through it blows a fuse and causes a check engine light with multiple codes listed on the computer. Speed sensor,ELD and others, the ELD is what controls the alternator output so there is the one tie in and the speed sensor ties into the speedometer. So it sounds as if this maybe your problem. I will try and remember to get the bulletin tomorrow but I do get busy and forget sometimes so if I don't get back soon then just remind me...The repair is simply to repair and or tape off the area the wire is rubbing through as well as relocating it just a bit, then replace the fuse all done from under the car so you need a lift. I'll get back soon with the bulletin
    You are probably going to find that this momentary dimming of the dash lights is a normal thing. Any electrical load is sensed by the ELD and then it decides what the alternator output should be, this brain like control takes a 1/2 a secound or so to react which is what you notice in the dash lights. First being the extra load lowering the voltage and then the correction by the ELD bringing it back to normal...
    Hi: Thank you so much for looking into this for me........again my car died on my way into work, so I was late arriving and made my boss angry, so I would LOVE to have something to bring to my mechanic as an idea. Thanks for your help!!
    Ok there is a service bulletin and its number is 99-029. If it is a code P1298,P0135,P0501 or P0141 and the fuse blowing is a 7.5 amp in the under dash fuse box(fuse#15) then this is definitly your problem as I have seen a few over the years. The service bulletin doesnt really say much more than I did in my last post, to fix remove the intake bracket, tape the wires that look as though they may rub , re-route if necessary then reinstall bracket and pop in the fuse.Clear the codes on the computer. If you have a local Honda dealer give them a call and see if they have done this repair before and how much they charge because if it is not too much then that maybe the best way to go, because if it is not done good(or right) then it may happen again leaving you to wonder about the repair altogether.Good luck
    hey man, thanks soooo much. i am calling my dealer right now to ask them what it might cost! i really appreciate your help on this, it seemed like no matter who i asked no on had any ideas!! i will let you know how it goes! thank you thank you thank you!!

melissa
  • mrb068mrb068 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 Civic EX; for about the past 6 months I have been hearing terrible brake chatter in the front right. It only happens after the car has been driven for 20 or 30 minutes. The noice sounds like the ABS system is being activated but only in that wheel. When I start coming to a stop I hear a boiling sound, right after this the chatter starts. It is actually more of a grinding chatter. It sounds exactly like the brake pad has worn completely off and it is just metal to metal, but the pads are in almost new like condition. I have taken it to the dealership and they cannot duplicate the problem, but then again they don't drive it for 30 minutes either. They have only offered one explanation. My front tires are unevenly worn, they say this maybe causing extra strain on the brakes causeing them to chatter. I don't think this is the problem though.
  • bazilbazil Member Posts: 5
    I've had the check engine light come on in my 1999 Honda Civic Hatchback. I checked the codes that it was sending, and it sent back 41 (Primary Oxygen Sensor Fault Indicator). I got the Haynes manual for the car and did all the checks that are suggested for the sensor, but everything checked out fine. However, I also tested the secondary oxygen sensor, and the reading for the voltage came back a little off. Checking the manual though, there are different trouble codes for the secondary oxygen sensor as opposed to the primary oxygen sensor, and I'm only getting one code. I have reset the code, but the check engine light immediately comes on when I start the car. I'm leery to replace both sensors, as they are $220 each from Honda.

Any suggestions? Am I doing major damage by driving with this problem?
    I will check on the conversion of the code 41 to a P code number and then check into the possibilities tomorrow hopefully. In the meantime you are doing no damage as the computer goes into a set value back up mode.
  • bendhondaguybendhondaguy Member Posts: 2
    Three months ago, I purchased a 4-dr manual lx. The first 3,000 miles were problem free, until just several days ago when I started noticing a rather loud whining noise during acceleration.

Even when the car is completely stopped, it makes an underlying whining noise, which only increases in pitch and volume as I accelerate. In addition, it becomes worse when I turn the wheel.

I took it to the local Honda dealer(unfortunately, the one from which I purchased it is more that 150 miles away) and a service advisor said it was normal--yeah right, of course it is.

So, I took it to my own very reliable and trustworthy mechanic who agreed the noise wasn't kosher and instantly checked the power steering fluid, which was nearly empty. We added the ps fluid a few days ago, but the noise has actually worsened.

I have an appointment to have it checked at the dealer again, but I want some outside opinions before I go back, as I'm sure the "perfectly normal" wall will go up as a first diagnosis.

Has anyone experienced a similar problem?

Did the lack of ps fluid for the first 3000 miles harm the vehicle?

I bought a new Honda to avoid problems and don't want a lemon!

Thanks, David
  • bendhondaguybendhondaguy Member Posts: 2
    Three months ago, I purchased a 4-dr manual lx. The first 3,000 miles were problem free, until just several days ago when I started noticing a rather loud whining noise during acceleration.

Even when the car is completely stopped, it makes an underlying whining noise, which only increases in pitch and volume as I accelerate. In addition, it becomes worse when I turn the wheel.

I took it to the local Honda dealer(unfortunately, the one from which I purchased it is more that 150 miles away) and a service advisor said it was normal--yeah right, of course it is.

So, I took it to my own very reliable and trustworthy mechanic who agreed the noise wasn't kosher and instantly checked the power steering fluid, which was nearly empty. We added the ps fluid a few days ago, but the noise has actually worsened.

I have an appointment to have it checked at the dealer again, but I want some outside opinions before I go back, as I'm sure the "perfectly normal" wall will go up as a first diagnosis.

Has anyone experienced a similar problem?

Did the lack of ps fluid for the first 3000 miles harm the vehicle?

I bought a new Honda to avoid problems and don't want a lemon!

You can e-mail me directly at alwaysoverhead@yahoo.com

Thanks, David
  • tinkywinkytinkywinky Member Posts: 7
    Hi this is the same as the problem noted in #1221 and #1224. I have a 1998 Civic LX sedan with 43k miles. Recently it starts to jerk around 20-30 miles. It frequently accelerates abruptly all by itself at low speed. I brought it to the dealership which said Honda has a bulletin out about "Harsh Upshift Complaints on A/T Civics and CR-Vs", which I got a copy. It says that if the problem improves when engine is warm then return the car to the customer, which mine doesn't. The next step will be to replace the linear solenoid, and if that doesn't work the end game is to replace the transmission. My car is out of warranty but it seems like Honda's had enough problems like this and I wonder if they will cover the expenses of fixing the problem. Any comments will be appreciated.
  • cheech_onecheech_one Member Posts: 1
    Do you have a sunroof? That happened with my crx and it turned out it was the rubber drain pipe that comes from the sunroof, and brings the water all the way out under the back bumper. It was clogged up, and was relatively easy to find an clear. I just removed some plasic, pop-off panels from inside the rear of the trunk, and there were two rubber tubes (one on each side)...
    hope you get it fixed. Hope i helped...
  • bazilbazil Member Posts: 5
    I've noticed that people in this chat mention that they are given copies of technical service bulletins, namely, they find them somewhere and then of course show them to the dealer to repair the problem, not vice versa.

I know from my experience that dealing with Honda service leaves something to be desired, and in Canada, we are not able to view TSB's, and when I have spoken to the "Service Manager" at my local Honda dealership, aside from him changing his story everytime I asked a question, this was his basic stance:

They don't have copies of TSB's
    You can't see the TSB's
    You still have to pay for any work done that's under a TSB

I mentioned that Honda is supposed to cover the work under a "separate warranty" (I was basically just testing the water), then he said Honda pays for the part, but you pay for the labour.

Has anyone had any experiences that would give me ammo? I have posted previously about a check engine light that is giving me a primary 02 sensor fault, but I have done all the checks and it seems fine.

I don't want to take it into Honda and pay $500 for nothing!
  • bjk2001bjk2001 Member Posts: 358
    bazil:

Sorry to hear about your dealer not cooperate with customer. It's total different than my local Honda dealer I've been dealed with. Last year when I took my 01 Odyssey to my local dealer to get my first oil change ( I didn't purchase my Odyssey from them due to their price is higher than other dealer). I had a cracked spoiler and lots of other people had it and Honda replaced them all. I asked my service writer about my cracked spoiler, when he was writing my oil change paper work. Without saying a word, he pulled out one of the TSB binders (he had at lease a few TSB binders right next to him.) and turned to the TSB page regarding cracked Odyssey spoiler. It listed affected VIN serial number and MFG date. Mine was affected, he didn't even go out to look at my Odyssey, just added "Replace cracked spoiler per TSB ....) to the service order. Due to back order I had to take my Odyssey back to get it replaced. Too bad you are too far away from California or I could introduce you to my local Honda service dept.

American Honda has customer survey about car buying and service experience. All the sales I dealed with all asked me to put down the best survey I could give them. Not sure about Canada Honda.

regards,

bjk
  • strong68strong68 Member Posts: 22
    Just recently I have been hearing a strange noise from underneath the car ( 2001 Civic LX), it seems to be near the front tires, axle area. It happens when the car has been parked for awhile, and when I start up and begin to drive, then brake it makes a loud click. It only happens once and after the car is warmed up and has been driven I don't have a problem. Has anyone else has creaking noises from underneath their cars coming from the front end? Thanks
    If it is a one time click forward first apply of the brake and then again same condition if you go in reverse and brake then it is a normal shifting of the brake pads. If it is a rattle like noise then there are other things it could be..
  • strong68strong68 Member Posts: 22
    Could this problem be the struts? It is more of a popping sound, and after scrolling back I have seen many people posting about the same type of problem. I actually went out and tested it again and it made the pop sound near the left front end without putting the brakes on this time. I'll probably take it in this week.
    Yes it is possible as I have seen several with leaky struts. Make the appointment and see what they say and good luck.
  • glenglenglenglen Member Posts: 37
    Hi,

My sister has a '94 Civic without a/c. She is thinking about installing a/c and would like to know if the cooling system is adequate enough to keep the engine from overheating when the outside climate temperature reaches 90 - over 100 degrees Fahrenheit (Sacramento, CA temperature). Any helpful response will be appreciated.

Thanks,

glenglen
  • isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    If you can even find a new A/C unit in stock for that 94, I think she would be better off selling it and buying another car with A/C.

It'll cost 1200.00 or so to add A/C.

Still...I guess if it's a nice car without a ton of miles it might work out.

And yes, the cooling system is up to the task.

Mid 70's here in Seattle today!
  • glenglenglenglen Member Posts: 37
    isellhondas,

Thanks for the feedback.

The '94 Civic has about 80K miles on it. She's planning on buying a new Odyssey sometime in the future and wants to trade in an '89 Corolla and keep the Civic as a second vehicle.
  • tinkywinkytinkywinky Member Posts: 7
    Hi, this is a follow up on msg 1274. Honda told me to bring the car back to the dealership and refused to tell me exactly who will be responsible for the expenses. The lady I talked to at Honda was impatient and rude. Does anybody know if a problem is listed on the technical service bulletin, then Honda will be responsible for the payment? Thanks in advance for any feedback.
  • hammsdamanhammsdaman Member Posts: 1
    I own a 1996 Civic CX h/b, and after a heavy rainfall or washing my car, the spare tire well and my rear seats get wet. It is a slow leak and I have tried everything to determine where the water is coming from. Does anybody know of a specific area that is prone to leaks in Civic h/b's? It's driving me nuts!
  • spokanespokane Member Posts: 514
    The dealer service departments for all makes of cars use Technical Service Bulletins to provide service and repair data that supplements the Shop Manual. These bulletins are prepared by the corporate service people and most bulletins are based on feedback from the dealer shops. The intent is to expedite correction of problems and the TSB's are very useful troubleshooting and repair tools. The existence of a TSB is not related to the vehicle warranty or the liability for repair costs. It is likely that Honda dealers do cross-reference their notes on any special warranty provisions with TSB's if any are applicable but such a practice does not imply that Honda will bear the cost simply because a repair procedure is detailed in a TSB.
  • isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    I'm not an expert but I do know that sometimes the tailight housung gaskets can get brittle and need to be replaced. This will cause a leak.
  • hinkshinks Member Posts: 1
    I am new to the list and have just browsed the entire list to
    I am new to the list and also a new Honda owner. I purchased a 2002 Honda Civic DX in May, 2002 and like the message posted in #509, I have noticed that when I remove the key from the ignition, the key is quite hot. I have taken it in to the dealer and they have not been able to replicate the problem and can find nothing wrong with the ignition.

I am not sure this is anything to worry about...but it does make me wonder what may be causing this problem.

Thanks for any help or advice.
  • edlchiangedlchiang Member Posts: 3
    This is a question for auburn63 or anyone who knows the answer. I have a 2000 Honda Civic LX and I notice that when the A/C clicks on there is a noticeable hissing sound coming from the right vent (or at least in that area). The more humid the air the louder the hissing noise. I did not notice that in my 1990 Honda Civic hatchback. Is this normal?
  • stolli1stolli1 Member Posts: 1
    concerning the noise on cold starts:

I have a 97 DX HB with 70K miles and within the last several thousand miles I have noticed a similar noise on cold starts (more noticable this past winter when living outside of Chicago). I also thought that it may be a valve noise, but according to my manual the valve clearance does not need to be checked every 30K but only after the first 30K. I am wondering if it is worth the money to have them adjusted again. It seems as though it did not alleviate the problem with acuraowner's car. Maybe it is just a trait of the Honda engines after time. Is there any merit the the casecom2's dealer suggestion that it is the fuel injectors? Maybe I will try some fuel injector cleaner.

BTW, I just moved to Santa Fe NM and have been averaging 38-39 mpg during my commute and the car is running fine.

Take care
    Key,
    The key, unless in the sun should not be hot to the touch but warm could be possible. The lower end of the ignition switch does have current flowing through it and could transmit some of that into the mecanical part of the ignition creating a little heat transfer.

a/c noise
    Without hearing it for my self it would be hard to say however I have heard a noise from that side of the cars and it is usally freon going through the expansion valve and tubing causing a similar sound. Other than that maybe check the vents and look for leaf or other debris caught in it.
  • ntmtntmt Member Posts: 9
    Hi all,
    I'm new on this stuff and know nothing about car. My wife's 98 Honda Civic EX has this problem, whenver i stepped on brake at 65+mph, the car made steering wheel shook violently. Any suggestions on what i need to do to correct this, thanks for all advices.
    David.
  • alcanalcan Member Posts: 2,550
    It's almost guaranteed to be a warped front brake rotor, a common Honda problem. I had to replace the rotors and pads on a 2000 Civic last week with 15,000 miles on it to correct the same condition.
  • bretc65bretc65 Member Posts: 2
    Got an '02 Civic EX Coupe at invoice ($15,700). It was a demo w/800 mi. on it. Only Civic Coupe on the lot w/manual trans, so I took it, but when they could've (and should've) gone down below invoice on the demo, they didn't, so I got window tint and rear spoiler at cost. Knowing how well Civics sell here in Colorado Springs, I felt I was treated fairly. Besides, I had just blown out the clutch in my '94 Escort that had 105,000 miles on it, and felt it was time to get rid of it. I know, I know, most people are amazed that I got that many miles out of an Escort.
    My only complaint with the Civic is the lousy FM radio reception. I thought about replacing the antenna that's in the rear window for a regular whip, but I wanted someone else's take on this before I do so. And I certainly don't want to replace the radio/CD player if I don't have to. Has anyone else experienced this? If so, what can be done?
  • bretc65bretc65 Member Posts: 2
    I'm hearing two schools of thought regarding how to get the ECU to recognize a larger air flow if I put a cold air intake on my 2002 Civic EX 1.7L. One speed shop says that all I have to do is disconnect my battery after putting the new intake on and the ECU will reset itself, detect the larger airflow and will adjust itself accordingly. The other is that the stock ECU EPROM will not work in this higher airflow range and the EPROM has to be replaced with an aftermarket chip, however superchip.com does not have an aftermarket EPROM for the 02 Civic.
    So does my Civic need a new EPROM or not? Also, where is this chip located? Some say it's under the driver's seat, but would like to be sure.
  • gasguzzgasguzz Member Posts: 214
    Where's that, Team Honda? You'll get no deals there (with the "only price"). Drove to Pueblo instead and got my new 2k then (3mi. on the odo) for $400 below invoice.
    It's actually the oem antenna that's the better of the system. Swapped my head early on with a Blau and I can still pull tunes inside a parking structure.
  • originalbitmanoriginalbitman Member Posts: 920
    My wife's 92 Civic si has been a great runner. But recently it developed a very intermittent starting problem. It turns over just fine but won't fire. If she lets it sit for a while and tries again it will start right up. Regular maintenance and no other problems. Any ideas?

bit
  • bostontbostont Member Posts: 37
    I've had my 02 Civic EX coupe since January 31 and love it. My only complaint is a rattle in the back seat area and a clicky noise from what seems to be the drivers door or thereabouts. It sounds like two little wires rubbing together and it's driving me nuts. Anyone else have this? The dealer doesn't want to change the oil until it's reach 5,000 miles and I don't want to drive all the way for two noises.
  • keithn55keithn55 Member Posts: 3
    I just got back my 02 Civic LX from the dealer. The clicky noise you heard from near the driver side door is not from the door. It is from the suspension spring rubbing against the paint. The dealer told me there is a kit from Honda to fix this and they fixed both sides for me. However, I don't have the backseat rattling on my new Civic yet.
This discussion has been closed.