Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Zaino Car Care Experiences

Comments

• Options
    automophileautomophile Member Posts: 780
    What lead you to try the leather care on the plastic?
  • Options
    graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    I, too think that Z5 gives a little different shine from Z5. It could be because some of the fine (almost invisible) swirls are filled in with Z5. Refelctivity of Z2 is better than Z5, though.

I alternate between Z2 and Z5 coats to get the best of both worlds.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • Options
    kenokeno Member Posts: 6
    HELP!!! After purchasing the Zaino products about month and a half ago, I finally got out this past weekend and cleaned my car using Dawn, Clay Magic and Zaino's - z1,z2,z5. My dilemma is, I had bird dropping on the hood of my car, which was about a week old. Washing removed the actual dropping itself, but what's left is dull spot on the hood of where bird dropping was. I thought the clay would remove it, but it didn't. So I tried using something a bit stronger - Turtle Wax polishing compound. Oh Boy!!! The bird dropping dull spot is gone alright, but what's left is a bigger dull spot from using the compound.

I thought by using the z1, z2, and z5 the shine would be restored but it has not.

I have a black, 98 Lexus which purportedly does not have a clear coat finish.

What can I do restore the shine to the dull area?
  • Options
    robertrrobertr Member Posts: 125
    I had the same birds**t caused dull spot problem on my last car - a dark green '97 Maxima. I used Meguiar's "Deep Crystal" polish on it with good results. I don't know how it will work after the polishing compound. I have used Meguiar's products for 16 years and am considering trying Zaino on my 2000 Maxima. I just waxed it with Meguiar's Gold Class over the weekend and it looks real good but am wondering if it would look even better with multiple coats of Zaino. How does the Zaino look on your Lexus?
  • Options
    pblevinepblevine Member Posts: 858
    We keep getting moved as our topic sections become filled. Sometimes it is a bit hard to find again.

Luck11: I'd use Z6 on those plastic gauge covers.

Keno: Please call Sal Zaino on that problem before you polish an existing Z2 surface.
  • Options
    sascuderisascuderi Member Posts: 73
    I really can't say what made me try the leather Z10 on the plastic. I guess as I was wiping some excess on the rag on the dash, it came to me it might help the light scratches on the plastic . I tried it, and it seemed to work!

It is kind of my nature to always look "for a better mouse trap"

STEVE
  • Options
    Steve - VERY ingenious!

Bird Spot - What is needed is a finer polishing compound - what you used is too rough and it shows on the great sheen that you have. Try a "glaze" after the polishing compound. Good Luck!

TO ALL - PLEASE REMEMBER THAT BIRD POOP IS EXTREMELY ABRASIVE (As well as acidic)! All that have had pet birds know that birds eat small gravel to grind their food. The gravel comes out in the end. If you rub the poop you will scratch your car - guaranteed! Just use lots of water until it is soft and you can hose it off, then wip off the remainder and re-wax.
  • Options
    lexsarlexsar Member Posts: 14
    It is my understanding that if a vehicle does not have a clearcoat, one should use Z3 NOT Z2. You may want to contact Sal on that! Good luck.
  • Options
    figmomanfigmoman Member Posts: 55
    Don't all late model cars have a clearcoat?
  • Options
    Usually, only metallic paints have a clear coat. This is actually necessary to protect the metallic particles in the paint. Solid non-metallic colors - white, black, red, etc. are not clear-coated - it would have no visible result.
  • Options
    You may be right, but my impression was that all cars built since about 1990 had clear coats. Then again, probably all cars have a metallic paint anyway.
  • Options
    I know that every car I've owned in the last 10 or so years have had clearcoat regardless of whether it had metalic paint or solid paint.

Clearcoat does help with the shine of solid colors, if properly cared for. If the clearcoat is allowed to deteriorate, then you have hazy clearcoat on top of the colored base coat.
  • Options
    pjyoungpjyoung Member Posts: 885
    My white 300M has a clearcoat finish.
  • Options
    mikeelmendorfmikeelmendorf Member Posts: 19
    Lexus does NOT use clearcoat on their black paint because they believe you get a clearer, deeper black without it. I know this for a fact, since it was explained to me when I was looking at a GS400 a few weeks back before I bought my STS.

I was surprised to hear that myself, since I, too, was under the impression that most all new cars--particularly those in that category--were clearcoats. I never heard the suggestion that a black would look better without it, but there must be something to it because I don't think they'd be skimping on that.

ME
  • Options
    sascuderisascuderi Member Posts: 73
    The way Lexus gets you for every creature comfort, are you sure that a clear coat on the black cars isn't just an option?!
  • Options
    cwmartincwmartin Member Posts: 89
    I have a brand new Fire Red Yukon that I picked up from the dealer on 5/31. It was built by GMC on 5/17.

When I had previous vehicles need body and paint work, due to accidents beyond my control, the body shop managers told me not the wax the newly painted and clearcoated areas for at least 30 days in order to allow the paint and clearcoat to 'cure'.

My question is: since my Yukon was built on 5/17 should I wait two more weeks before I apply Zaino to it, so the 30 day cure period would be intact? Or is it OK to apply the Zaino products this weekend? Also my dealer said they applied a wax coat to the Yukon when they prepped it, but I can't be sure.
  • Options
    Your new Yukon paint was "Baked" at the factory, and will not need a cure period. Be sure to remove the dealer prep with a blue Dawn wash before your Z treatment!
  • Options
    keys88keys88 Member Posts: 6
    I'm thinking of Zaino-ing my new car this weekend and was wondering if I should apply Zaino to my rims, chrome trim & glass ?
  • Options
    If it is shiny, it will be better protected and look better with a Zaino finish. I do everything that can shine - why not protect them too?

ALSO - I may have found the BEST polishing tool - At the Costco stores, they are selling a pack of real sheepskin wash/polish mitts. They are fairly small, very well made and very soft and plush. I used one today for polishing off Z5, and it was fantastic! It is very thick so it easily gets in all the nooks and crannies, and you can't drop it. There were NO scratches or smears. I feel it was better than a towel.

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED! It is call the "Fashion Magic" 3-pack of Genuine Sheepskin Wash Mitts. The Costco Item # is 318233. Try it!
  • Options
    soswaynesoswayne Member Posts: 1
    This may not be the right site but can someone direct me to information on boat waxes and water spot removal on fiberglass. Thanks
  • Options
    losylosy Member Posts: 14
    I used Z1 and Z2 on my truck over a month ago. I have washed the truck four times and the shine is just as good as the day I applied the polish. Thanks for all of the tips on applying the Zaino Products.
  • Options
    bigboy3bigboy3 Member Posts: 22
    Guys, thought I would drop in and give you an update on our black kitchen sink. I Zainoed it about 3 or 4 weeks ago and it still looks pretty good. It gets dishwasing liquid in it everyday, along with dirty dishes. Considering the abuse it takes, it is holding up better than the wax I have used before.
    My black Tundra is holding up wonderfully after 4 weeks. So far I am totally amazed at how well it is still beading water. I read for a long time on this forum before I tried the Zaino. Let me tell you, it is everything you guys said it was. I get comments all the time about how shiny it is. If you have any doubts about how good it is, Just continue to read these posts and you will see the testimonies of what a fine product it is.
  • Options
    ajmacyajmacy Member Posts: 6
    My 99 Odyssey has yellow dots on the front bumper and I don't know how to get rid of them. The van just recently had Z-1 and two coats of Z-2 applied and was clean when I noticed what looked like bird droppings on just the front bumper. I sprayed it with Z-6 and was relieved that it cleaned up so well. When I looked more closely I could still faintly see yellow dots but the surface area is very smooth. I tried clay with Z-6 as the lubricant but it didn't seem to help. Any suggestions?!?
  • Options
    lanie1lanie1 Member Posts: 19
    A little over three months ago I gave my new car the complete Zaino treatment. Since then, it has been washed twice. Last week we spent a week at the beach: salt air, numerous bird mishaps, and the usual bug splats occurred during the 8 hour each way drive and week-long stay at the beach. We got home late Saturday night, washed the car with Zaino - nothing else used - and rinsed; in less than 15 minutes the car looked like it had spent hours in a detailing shop! The car had been absolutely protected from all of the above beach "hazards"! Even if the shine weren't so terrific, that kind of protection is more than worth the initial cost and effort. Thanks to all of you who encouraged and explained Zaino use when I was first deciding how to care for a new car!
  • Options
    fastdriverfastdriver Member Posts: 2,273
    Everybody thought I was crazy raving about ZAINO! They thought I worked for Sal or was getting paid or something. I told you that you'd love it! Glad that everyone is finally seeing the light, uh, I mean shine! LOL.....

Last week, driving into the parking lot at work, two female co-workers were just walking in. They flagged me down and said WOW what a shine! What is that stuff? They have seen my car before, but never close up I guess. These are two females who drive new SUV's- one the dreaded Jeep GC and the other the Mercury Mountaineer. Neither one thinks about polish or wax. However, they did send me a note later in the day for the name of the stuff I used! Think I might have some competition in the shine department soon! LOL...

fastdriver
  • Options
    NO ONE will have a shinier car than you! Sometimes, when the sun is setting, I SWEAR I see a reflective red glow from the East......
  • Options
    tpmillertpmiller Member Posts: 45
    installs with one sided tape, covers bed sides and tailgate. Removable. I intend to wash, clay, wash, bed before install (new vehicle). This is a three quarter inch marine polyester foam product that does not absorb water.. I see no reason to Z before install. Does anyone think differently?
  • Options
    alexs29alexs29 Member Posts: 7
    I need some help with my education of using Zaino.
    I have ordered my Zanio products but they haven't arrived as yet.

I have a new 2000 brownish gold Lexus. Sal tells me it is clear coat but I don't know what that means. Can anyone help?

Posting #30 said he used sheepskin and Sal recommends using only cotton towel. Can anyone help me with their experience?
  • Options
    Paints that are metallic in nature must have a layer of clear paint over them so that they stay smooth over time. Older cars didn't have this, which is why so many silver cars (the first metallic paint) looked so dull after a couple of years.

As far as polishing - Soft 100% cotton towels are guaranteed to be OK. I tried the genuine sheepskin mitt with great results. Bear in mind I am a car fanatic with nearly 40 years of auto-fanaticism behind me.

I saw no problems with the sheepskin, but until you are comfortable with Zaino and the process of detailing your car, perhaps it's better to use the towels.

Have fun - it will be a bit of work the first time only, but OH-SO REWARDING!
  • Options
    Automophile is correct. Your Lexus has a clearcoat. And I'd also use straight 100% cotton towels (made in USA only). As you will learn, you don't 'polish' the car with the towels. They are only used to dry a washed car, and to remove the residual Zaino Z2 residue after it dries. That last step is great fun. Really! You'll see the shine. And now rubbing is required - or any elbow grease. Just run a clean portion of the towel over the residue to pick it up. That's it!
  • Options
    automophile-

I ALWAYS wondered if anyone saw that reflective Zaino red glow besides me! LOL...

fastdriver
  • Options
    cwmartincwmartin Member Posts: 89
    What is the procedure for cleaning the white cotton towels that you use while applying the Zaino products? Will regular laundry detergent get it out and restore the towels to usable again condition?
  • Options
    northshore1northshore1 Member Posts: 6
    Wasn't sure how many towels of which sizes would be needed for large SUV. Saw a sale on Fieldcrest 100% white cotton, made in USA towels today at Filene's. So, bought 3 large size bath towels, 3 hand size towels and 3 face cloths. Is this too much? Not enough? Placing first Zaino order this week. Thanks.
  • Options
    Lets' start with one towel for drying the Dawn washed car, unless you are claying (You should), where you will wash again after the clay.

The, in my experience, you only need one towel for the "polishing", which is just removing the dried polish as pblevine as stated above. When it is properly dry, it powders on contact and brushes right off. Just shake out the towel periodially and keep buffing.

Then - you will need another towel for applying and buffing the Z-6 sealer/gloss spray afterwards. Spray on 1-2 sq. feet, rub-in until it is almost gone, then turn the towel over and buff a little. This is the most work of the Z process, it takes me almost 15 minutes to do!

Enjoy!
  • Options
    fastdriver prodded me into re-Zainoing our cars. The results are really even better than last time! see them here:
    http://www.geocities.com/newwestd/Zainoat3mo.html

I have now put 6 layers of Zaino on both cars - 4 of Z-5 and 4 of Z-2, and still have about 1/2 a bottle left of each! Z-6 about 2/3 gone tho - time to re-order!!!

For reference - It took me about 4-5 hours over 2 days to do both cars.
  • Options
    kourykoury Member Posts: 225
    I've just witnessed how great Zaino is! I originally did the entire process (dawn/clay/dawn/Z1/Z5/Z2/Z6 a few months ago. Great beading, but nothing that really dazzled me. I've kept my car washed regularly, and knew I needed more coats of Z2 for best results. Well, I finally put a second coat of Z2 on last week, and saw a big difference in shine. But what really convinced me was what happened yesterday. My car is a 2000 black Lincoln LS, and it had 3-4 days of pollen just caked all over. We got over two inches of rain here in Mass. yesterday, and I drove over 100 miles. I got home, parked the car in the garage, took the trash out around 8PM, and did a double-take when I looked at my car. Not only was all the pollen gone, it looked as though I just washed it - no dirt, no streaks, no water spots! All that crap came off with the rain.

Yeah, this sounds like a commercial, and no, I don't work for Zaino. But this stuff repels dirt like you wouldn't believe. Of course, this isn't news to Zaino users....but for those of you who are on the fence like I was, you gotta try this stuff out.
  • Options
    I've found that the "bath" size towels to be a bit too big when taking off Z (they tend to drag the ground when you get ot the lower edges of your vehicle. They are best for drying (although, I still find the "absorber" is the best drying tool).

For taking off Z, I think that the "face" towels are about the right size.

For z6, try applying a little on the Zaino applicator and wiping it on that way. Then take a "face" towel and wipe it off. Reapply (making a very thin "x" pattern on the applicator) the Z6 when the applicator gets dry. This keeps me from using too much Z6 and I find I can do about 1/3 of a panel at a time without letting the Z6 dry on the finish before I wipe it off.
  • Options
    If I recall, you had some reservations about using Z at first - but finally bit the bullet after all the "no it really works" posts. It really is amazing how just driving in the rain can make your car look like it's been washed! And especially on a black car!

I've Z2'ed my car a total of 3 times in the past 7 months (twice in early January to get the "shine", and once in April - not because it needed it, it still shined and beaded pretty well, but because I've never gone 4 months without waxing my car before. It's been dry here the past week and a half since I washed my car. I've driven it about 400 miles in that time, but it still looks like it's just been washed - no dust, no dull film, just a beautiful shiny white car (and shiny chrome wheels, and shiny anything else I put the Z2 on!).
  • Options
    kourykoury Member Posts: 225
    Great memory - yes, you are correct, I sat on the fence for some time. I'm just naturally skeptical about products that are not mainstream. Now that I've seen firsthand what the product does, I would endorse it wholeheartedly. Now the challenge is to find the time to apply more coats....

It's also amazing how I can drive in the rain and not get water spots, yet when I wash the car using house water, spotting occurs almost immediately. Just picked up the California Water Blade, haven't used it yet, so we'll see if that does the trick.

Thanks to all who recommended these products, it shows the value of a forum such as this!
  • Options
    jjccrvjjccrv Member Posts: 34
    Use only liquid detergent to wash your towels. Do not use granulated bleach or detergent. Do not use fabic softener either. I use hand towel sized ones to take the wax off and bath towels for drying purposes after the Ca. Waterblade. By the way saw the Ca. waterblade for 12.99 at Costco over the weekend. Had never seen it for less than 19.99 before.
  • Options
    Automophile: GREAT pictures! Two pluses: a great job on both those cars, and really good photographic skills.

Northshore1: Use liquid TIDE (no bleach) to clean your towels. A cold or warm wash is OK. And as jjccrv said, don't use any fabric softeners or anti-static cloths when drying them either. I'm not sure I agree with graphicguy on towel size. I too use both bath and hand towels. I find that the bigger bath size works fine for drying purposes. Either / or size works fine for removing the Z2 residue. With bath towels, I just roll them up and keep turning them as I wipe off the car. I'll admit, however, that the smaller face towels are best for Z6 applications.
  • Options
    Thanks for compliments. Good pictures are easy with great, shiny subjects!
    Also - I will try using the Liquid Tide - thanks.
  • Options
    werkingwerking Member Posts: 431
    all -
    i've always been told NOT to use towels to dry a vehicle. they scratch the surface? i've always used a chamois. any comments here? also, just zaino'd my black silverado the second time in 6 months of ownership. i will say right now, that i'm NOT impressed with the claim to reduce swirl marks. but...i've never used clay before, so i think i'm going to take off early today and go clay. what are you all using to apply the zaino? my original applicator wore out so i bought a 100% cotton applicator pad a local store. anyone using 100% cotton washcloths or the like to apply? thanks for any suggestions...

kyle
  • Options
    alexs29alexs29 Member Posts: 7
    Hey automophile,

Thank you for your comments in Post #40. I sure like to understand whats going on. Do you have any idea what year new cars starting getting clear coat paint?

Hey pblevine,

Thank you for your comments in Post #41. Did you mean to say that "no" rubbing is required? That sounds great. It sounds so easy and enjoyable.
  • Options
    alexs29: Yep, no rubbing required. Just wipe off the residue.

werking: You've got a very good point. When I first bought this car, I used a regular towel to dry it. Result: swirl marks. I then bought a chamois and the results were much better. But if the chamois gets dirty, the embedded dirt will also create swirl marks. The trick is to keep the chamois clean. And the same goes for towels! When I switched to 100% cotton (made in USA only) towels, I was able to dry the car without creating (any more) swirl marks. But you've got the keep the towels very clean too. And if the towels are not 100% cotton, the nylon threads in them will scratch and produce swirl marks. I'm now about to use Z5 to eliminate all those damn swirl marks.
  • Options
    alexs29
    I can't tell you when clear coats started to be used, but I guess at least 15 years or so on all metallic paints. Now, it seems that they are also using them on some non-metallic paints as well. It would be best to check with a good paint shop or your car's service dept. if you are unsure.

Also - as a test - you can rub a white cloth with a little rubbing compund on an inconspicuous place. If the color comes off - it is NOT clear coated.
  • Options
    alexs29-

I THINK clearcoat became popular when they banned lead in paint! I don't know when that happened though. Without the lead, the paint was not as durable or "thick-skinned". Seems like cars today chip very easily.

fastdriver
  • Options
    Okay guys, I tried Zaino. I was sold on the shine. I was even more sold on the way it seemed to wash itself. Today, I am an abosolute, never gonna change, customer for life. Zaino was put to the real test the past couple of days. I put a third coat of Z2 on about a month ago.

I have a WHITE 300M. THose of you who own 300M's will agree that the wheels tend to throw all kinds of road gunk up on the sides of the car. Yesterday, I was driving thru a construction zone and, while there weren't any signs to indicate it, they had put down fresh tar. I didn't notice that night, but the next day I was HORRIFIED to see that my car had loads of tar all over the passengers side. I was HEARTSICK. I got home and started looking for tar removal products. I decided to wash the car before attacking this problem. Got my Z7 and got ready to scrub. Now for the amazing part - THE TAR CAME RIGHT OFF! I could not believe it, my neighbors thought I was crazy as I washed and dried my car singing THANK YOU SAL ZAINO!

If you have a car that you care about, get this stuff. It's worth EVERY SINGLE DIME that you spend. Thanks Sal - tomorrow I'm off to my dealer to get mud flaps ASAP!
  • Options
    pjyoung-

Oh boy! Another Zainoist has come under the "spell"!! LOL...... Could we see some pics? LOL...

fastdriver
  • Options
    Actually, fastdriver wants to see pics with the tar spots! I know, don't try that at home. Anyway, that's a remarkable story.

But I've got a slightly different problem: tree sap spots. I had this last year too. Last year, I first tried Z6. That 'worked' but in rubbing off the Z6, the damn sap created more swirl marks. So, this year, I'm going to try clay first.