Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo

schambers2schambers2 Member Posts: 1
edited March 2014 in Jeep
I own a 1997 Grand Cherokee that I have had in the
repair shop twice now in which the dealership has
completely removed the dash to try to find a water
leak which I believe is coming from the air
conditioning system. It only occurs in the summer
when system is in use water stands in the
floorboard almost constantly. Dealer has supposedly
caulked cracks and replaced the drain system,
Help!!

Comments

• csiejackcsiejack Member Posts: 1
    Tell the dealer to remove the cowl panel and caulk along the entire lower seal. It was never sealed. Tell your dealer that they DID get a notice from Jeep on how to fix this problem!!!
  • easterreasterr Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1997 Jeep Cherokee - Loreado that seems to have a grinding noise in the rear end when the car is moving. I purchased the car from someone who lived in the mountains and the car needs new rotars. I am wondering if the rear breaks may need work or there is something going on with the trans. Any help you can provide before I take it to a dealer is greatly appreciated.
  • naddra1naddra1 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1998 JGC - Laredo and had a similar 'grinding noise'. It turned out to be the rear differential. Have that checked out!
  • 3dogs3dogs Member Posts: 4
    What is the general opinion owners of 1997 JGCs? Would you still buy it if you had the chance? I owned a 1988 Laredo and loved it. Trying to decide if I should jump on a 1997 JGC a friend is selling.
  • tmac45tmac45 Member Posts: 1
    HI.. I AM NEW TO THIS PAGE BUT I PURCHASED A 97 JGC NEW AND JUST LOVE IT, EXCEPT NOW I AM HAVING WHAT I HAVE BEEN READING ABOUT, WARPED BRAKE ROTORS WHICH SHIMMEY UPON BRAKING, ALSO U ALL SAID SOMETHING ABOUT A ROTOR RECALL..CAN ANYONE FILL ME IN ON THIS, ALSO I AM NOW NOTICING A BIRD CHIRPING SOUND WHICH GETS LOUDER UPON ACCELERATING COMING FROM THE DRIVELINE AREA..ANY IDEAS..THANKS
  • 3dogs3dogs Member Posts: 4
    You guys are scaring me into a Toyota.
    Water leaks, warped rotors and failing differentials.
    Still curious though with all you know today, would you buy it again.
    I felt that way after 138K miles on my 88 which by the way is still going strong and the favorite vehicle of my friend that bought it from me.
    I never had problems like those you are describing.
  • anonymousanonymous Member Posts: 314
    Before running to the Toyota's, I'd check the postings there as well. As far as my Jeep....

It's my wife's car and she won't let me sell it. I need it to pull my boat, so for me and the Jeep it's a love hate relationship.

I've had the rotor problems. They were recently replaced under the recall. I had to pay for new pads. No big deal... That has been the only major problem. Knock on wood. It's a wonderful utility vehicle. Pulls my boat like a champ.

When the work was done, I asked the front counter service rep. if the new rotors would fix the problem with the warping. He didn't know and wasn't given any information from DC whether it would or not. Hmmm... Not a warm and fuzzy.

See if you can that 88 back. :-)
  • mnyoungmnyoung Member Posts: 5
    I was considering the purchase of a GC in the near future to replace my 95 Dakota. I've also got an '00 Durango. Naturally, I've checked sites on both of those vehicles and I noticed that the problems that have been mentioned here are similar. The Durango is notorious for the rear diff going out by 20K and I know 4 people who own 95 Dakotas. Not one of them has a gas gauge that works. One guy told me he has fixed it 4 times. I just thought you guys might like to know that Grand Cherokee owners are not alone in these annoying problems from DC.
  • ewansingewansing Member Posts: 2
    I recently purchased a 1997 Jeep GC Laredo. I took it to Colorado for a week, and it perfromed perfrectly. It has 46,000 miles on it now and runs like new, or maybe even better with the K&N air filter, Bosch Platinum +4 Spark plugs, and Summit Racing turbo muffler.

My girlfriend has a 1995 GC Laredo. It has over 80k on it and hasn't had any problems. I love the Jeeps and would recommend one to anyone looking for an SUV.

The key to long life of the vehicle is proper care and maintainence.
  • nannygnannyg Member Posts: 1
    I love my Grand Jeep Cherokee but I too have experienced the same problems as listed by other owners. I have had pools of water on my floor under my feet. Had to give up my vehicle for two days for repairs. Only owned it two weeks then. Had to have the brakes replaced at 23,000 at cost of 700.00. Wrote to complain, got me nowhere. Had noise in rear end for some time but vehicles checks & sevice did not produce any concerns. At 71,000 klm I brought this noise to dealer's attention. I now am without my vehicle again and the rear brakes as well as the differenital gears have failed costing me 1700.00. Warranty is up at 60,000, even though this problem was noticable for some time.
    Will I buy again.?...NO..... I am going back to Toyota. Had a 4Runner previously, no major problems and only replaced brakes and tires at 75,000 klm. Vehicle is still running....

Hope this helps some unsuspecting buyer...
  • bikybiky Member Posts: 20
    This is the first time I'm posting a message here. I have a 1997 JGC Laredo, I-6. It is really a great vehicle. It's got all the luxury and drives quite smooth (at least used to). When I bought it in Aug 1999, with 30k miles, I did not know what all features it has. Only thing I knew is that I liked the looks too much. The nickelled front grill is simply too good. Now my JGC has 42k miles. My personal view is that the 2000 model is not that appealing with its round-ish finish. But anyway... I'm a proud owner of this machine. The JGC is a perfect vehicle... well almost !

I like the vehicle so much that I hate to say anything bad about it. But, now I think, I should discuss it.

Initially it had the problem of pulsating brakes. When I took it for the major service at 30k, the service people said it needs new front brake pads. Don't remember how much it costed me, but it's not covered under warranty.

Then there was a problem with the overhead display buttons. The SKIP button would not work most of the times. Had that replaced under warranty.

Then just before 36k, I took extended warranty till 60k miles. I think that's a very wise decision I made. After a few days, I started feeling some vibration at the speed of around 65mph. Above 70mph, there were no vibration. I thought it's not a big problem, but within a few days the vibrations started increasing. I had to take it for repairs again. This time there was something wrong with the driveshaft. They replaced the shaft or some joints.

Next was the problem with the ABS indicator. It used to come up at least once every day. When u restart the engine, it used to go off. Some ABS controller unit had to be changed.

Then came the problem which the JGC is known for... the transmission. It started with frequent fluctuations of the engine rpm. It used to go up and down a few hundred rpms with the same amount of gas pressed and going on a an even road. This also happened when the cruise control is set. This problem started a long time back, and whenever I used to show it the service people, they said nothing's wrong. I've taken it to them at least 5 times. Initially, it used to happen only at speeds around 60mph, but then it started happening even at lower speeds, around 40mph. This a very irritating feeling, u feel that the vehicle is suddenly pushed and the next moment u feel it's pulled slow.

The story continues... The above problem aggrevated and now the vehicle hesitates to pick the top gear. Sometimes, when it does pick the top gear, it would immediately shift down to 3rd. And there are times now when I'm driving at 70mph at more than 3000 rpm. I'd taken this for repairs, now it's slightly better, but it's still far from normal.

And the newest problem I have is not as bad as the others. It's just that the AC is not so effective as it used to be when I bought it. The cooling effect has reduced. Sometime back, I got the front rotor changed under the recall. But the brakes still make noise while starting and stopping. Don't know if that's normal.

I like the Jeep very much. But there had been so many problems with it. Luckily most of these repairs have not costed me any money. I'm so glad that I'd bought the extended warranty/service contract. Now, I'm so fed up with this I sometime think of trading this vehicle for a Pathfinder, even though I like the looks of this more than any other SUV on the road today.

What I wanted to know... is everybody facing similar kinda problems with their JGC? Also tell me about the lemon law in tennessee. What is it exacly?
  • carlg2carlg2 Member Posts: 1
    I bought my 96 Grand Cherokee last year with around 45K miles. I use it to drive to work and tow my boat (occassionally). I like the body style and its pretty comfortable. But it seems to be falling apart.

For one thing, the electronics are flaky. The stereo works sometimes. The windows and rear wiper work most of the time. For another, all four inside door panels are peeling off - very strange.

But the biggest problem is the "Check Engine" light. The last two times I towed my boat on the highway, this light came on after about 100 miles. When it did, my mileage went from 14 mpg to around 6. The engine would run rough and black smoke would periodically belch from the exhaust, especially when I would slow down. Both times when this happened, I took it to a mechanic (one Jeep, one independant) and they couldn't find anything wrong (despite the codes stored in the onboard computer). So they reset the Check Engine light and sent me on my way. It seemed like after the engine cooled down it would behave itself (sometimes for the rest of the trip).

And also something underneath (suspiciously near the transmission) rattles when I start it up. And the rear end makes noises too.

Anyway, I was just curious if anyone else has seen anything similar? And, no, I wouldn't buy another Jeep.
  • drk3drk3 Member Posts: 2
    96 jeeps are know to have a problem with peeling door panels, I just glued mine. The rattle when you start up might be the cat converter and should still be covered under the emission warranty
  • myjeepsucksmyjeepsucks Member Posts: 1
    This Letter pretty mcuh summarizes my Grand Cherokee experience.

Chrysler.......Never Again....unless I want a cool looking car

Dear Jeep:

In May of 96 I purchased a Jeep Grand Cherokee to escape the maintenance cost associated with my two older vehicles and to own just one vehicle instead of two. I chose the Grand Cherokee because of the following:

It was a vehicle that seemed to be designed for what it was supposed to be. Not a compromise (i.e. truck chassis)

A very smooth ride

Good Power

Decent Styling and interior conveniences

Very good handling in poor road conditions

Good reputation or so I thought

And most importantly since it was new I should have relatively little concern with major repairs. I thought that since I was the sole owner and caretaker that I would have much better chance of preventing problems by having the proper maintenance correctly performed from the beginning of the service life of the vehicle.

For the first year and a half the above reasons were all true. Beginning in October of 1997 it all seemed to change. Prior to this time the only noticeable problems/defects were the interior panels, which started peeling.

Since October of 1997 the following repairs have had to be performed.

Shock absorber mount coming completely loose - vehicle was towed

All Door panels had to be replaced

Black exterior plastic faded - no fix

Door lock solenoids and switches failed and had to be replaced

Engine temperature sensor failure along with getting occasional black smoke

Air Conditioning compressor failed - In the middle of the summer

Air Conditioning hose failed - One year later

Water pump failed

Thermostat housing leaking and replaced

Battery failed (3 years old)

Rear differential bearings failed

Rear differential bearings failed again

Front differential failed replaced ring and pinion

Front differential failed replaced ring and pinion again

Front differential failed again - unit was entirely rebuilt

I am presently experiencing the following:

Popping sound when backing and turning or moving forward and turning.

Loose bracket rattle sound when the vehicle shifts from 2nd to 3rd gear

Brakes always squeal - no fix

The vehicle has not been off road, ever; nor has it been abused. The most severe duty it has seen was towing a medium sized trailer for about 1500 miles.

It seems ridiculous to have experienced so many systems/mechanical failures in the last 2 and 1/2 years. Thank God I did purchase an extended warranty! I imagine the repair tab that you have footed thus far must be nearing the $8,000 mark!

In almost all cases the parts and labor have been covered under the warranty minus the following:

My TIME!

My $50 copay, plus whatever minor item the service advisor can convince me isn't covered under warranty.

Scheduling and car rentals and wondering whether they would be on time, available and covered.

Getting a car that was half the size of my jeep.

And just the stress , frustration and suspense of wondering when I wilI get stuck for a $1500 repair bill for parts that really should last much longer than the ones on my Jeep have. I have never ever had a vehicle that needed a differential repair! Furthermore, all of those cars were used with much higher mileage.

Maintenance and repair costs are anticipated when owing a vehicle. They just shouldn't be so high.

Who knows what will happen next? The transmission? The timing chain? Well…Its time for me to stop living in denial and get a different vehicle. Something that is reliable. Perhaps a Japanese vehicle might do fine but the size factor and the fact that after working at Japanese Car company… I'd rather sell my soul ……. than own another Japanese car.

After reading this letter and realizing what a poor deal I have received if you feel so inclined please send over a dealer and have them purchase the vehicle for fair market RETAIL value. I would then suggest that you let the local "FORD EXPLORERS" club "test" the vehicle (ha ha), or you could take it to the Chysler proving grounds and use it as a frustration venting tool.

Sick and tired of the mechanical systems on my Jeep,
  • bubba69bubba69 Member Posts: 1
    My jeep has 38,000 miles and as of last week it would not start. I took it to a local garage and had the fuel pump replaced. Three days later the jeep would not start. The garage replaced the fuel pump again. One day later it would not start again. This time he told me that some kind of black alge was in the tank and that he soaked the tamk in bleach for two days but he also said that I will need to replace the tank soon because it is impossable to kill this myterious alge. Has anybody heard of such a problem. P.S. by the time this is posted my jeep probably will not start again!!!!!!!!
  • lapdcenturionlapdcenturion Member Posts: 1
    We used to own a 1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo. The car was great. We never had any problems, except for the Brake rotor recall. Otherwise, it was an excellent car. There were never andy mechanical problems. The lease was up in 1998 and it had 48000 miles on it. We hated to see it go. I would recomend a Grand Cherokee to anyone who is in the market.

We just bought a 1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo. I hope it is just like the 96 we had.
  • millerhaamillerhaa Member Posts: 1
    I have a '98 JGC laredo, and bought it about two years ago, used. I have had numerous problems with it, and unfortunately did not buy the extended warranty. Just to name a few: leaking problems in the front floorboard due to the a/c, rear differential, rear main seal leak, replaced power steering pump, and now the rear end is making a loud noise so I have to take it back in. It hasn't been driven rough or anything, so it seems ridiculus to me. I can't wait to get rid of it and I will never consider buying a jeep again. If you buy one definitely get a warranty on it!

AEM
  • dalltopdalltop Member Posts: 1
    Where to begin. I bought a old 89 pioneer sport with 150,000 miles. I spent about $1500 to get it up to snuff. I drove that Jeep from the Eastern Shore of Maryland to Arizona and back, then to Yellowstone, Colorado, and back. When I sold the 89 I had 195,000 miles and it was still running great. I sold it for $2,900.

Bought the 97GC with 31k, I have had the airconditioning serviced every year. They cannot find the leak (89 - Air still working at 195k). Best anwser for the rotor warping is replacing the rotors with some better quality rotors. My transfer case started leaking. The dealership replaced the whole transfer case. Funny thing is now the Full-Time will not always come out of Part-Time. I dont mean to pick on all mechanics, but, some simple follow through and checking your work would be a plus. The power stearing pump has also been replaced. My advice is to by the warrenty. The vehicles are expencive to by and fix.
  • stevens6stevens6 Member Posts: 12
    many jeeps will not start because the crank sensor is bad, also you got to check the ignition switch and the neutral switch
  • jdel30jdel30 Member Posts: 1
    Bought it new in April 97...within the first 6000 miles, a new rear end, new left front axle, 4 each cd players, rear wiper motor, door lock motor, new drivers seat frame (electric gear grinding, new battery within 18 months, new oxy sensor, three new plug wires...spark knock using 89 octane. And now it is 2000 and I have an "unexplained clunking noise while shift gears at low speeds" (Dealer could not find problem). And yes....the road noise as explained by the dealer, which is actually the rear end falling out again!

My advice to anyone reading....buy Japanese! I am going to in 4 months providing this lemon doest turn into lemonade and leave me stranded again before hand!

JDeL
  • hyoungsoohyoungsoo Member Posts: 1
    I bought 1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo two months ago. But I found a problem. Beside the front wheel, the ball was extracted from a pin, about three inches, which seems to be connected to front axle. I don't know what it is called. How do I have to do? My warranty period has already been over. And what is "brake rotor recall"? I will wait for your help. Thank you.
  • lcoyner64lcoyner64 Member Posts: 1
    And my advice to all those considering a JGC-DON'T! Repair costs have amounted to over $4,000 in the last year alone. Just had the rear differential rebuilt, previously brake rotars were replaced; fuel system repaired, you name it, I've done it. The "herd of crickets" sound coming from my front end is a mystery to the dealer and the whole thing shakes when I accelerate over 45mph.

The only thing it's good for is driving in the snow. The 4-wheel drive system is better than most, but if it doesn't run, what good is it?

Buy a Toyota.
  • shezelshezel Member Posts: 1
    In reading post number 15 I thought they were talking about my Jeep. My advise to any potential Chrysler customers is the same as post 24 - DON'T DO IT - Get a FORD or anything else. If you have to buy a Chrysler get the extended warranty and if you can afford it a spare car to use while your Jeep is at the shop. Also DO NOT expect Chrysler to do ANYTHING for you. Expect to pay for the same repair multiple times and expect to pay for many "No problem founds" even when there is a problem. Do not expect ANY customer Service - Do expect a LOT of GRIEF and FRUSTRATION.

My 97 Jeep is on its 6th rear differential and 3rd front differential. Chrysler won't do anything for us - they act as though this is a normal maintenance item - every 15K - replace your differential (although I can't find this in my handbook).

The sad thing is the differential is not the only problem. We've had to replace the evaporater - oxygen sensor - misc transmission parts - steering dampener - front power door locks - radio - fuel sensor - rear rocker arm bearings ( post 15 - this is probably what is making the popping sound when you go into reverse - Jeep kept saying this was normal until it did it at the dealership and the salesman thought he had been shot when I backed up). We just got our Junk I mean Jeep back from the shop and although they replaced the front and rear differentials we are still getting the whinning noise from the front end.

One of the newest features of our Jeep is that it hesitates when making left hand turns if the fuel tank is 1/4 full or less - (Of course Jeep says "no problem found" - It must be one of those "Jeep Things".) Anyone else have this problem????? I love our other New feature - a nice chirping noise from the front dash. My daughter thinks there are crickets in the glove box.

DO yourself a favor and avoid Chrysler and Jeep Things . JEEP ( Just expect expensive problems)
  • txlnghrntxlnghrn Member Posts: 1
    I can definitely relate to most of the posts I'm reading. I own a 97 JGC and am currently plagued by a strange chirping/squeeky sound. This sound seems to get worse in cold weather. When I turn, the car makes a popping sound. I've averaged around $500 in repairs over the last three months. I have always bought American cars. I think it's important. My patience, though, is wearing thin as the costs associated with repair for this vehicle mount up. What happened to quality American vehicles?
  • mgparmgpar Member Posts: 1
    I'm thinking of buying a 1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo with 90,000 miles. Is this a good Idea?
  • ocardaughocardaugh Member Posts: 2
    In April '00 I bought a used 97 JGC Laredo with 42K on the odometer. Since then it has been in the shop 3 times for:

Check Engine Light - Bad oxygen sensor.
    Coolant leak - replaced radiator and rebuilt water pump.
    Rear end whine - replaced rear diff bearings.
    A/C problems - kinked hose.
    Haunted windshield wipers - dirty contacts
    Weak battery.

Me and the extended warranty has shelled out over $2600 in repairs and rental cars.

Two weeks ago the rear end whine returned and an engine oil leak has developed, so trip #4 to the shop. It has been in the shop now for over a week, waiting for a new rear axle housing. Unfortunately, that part is on national back-order. God only knows what this will cost the extended warranty company, and there is no word yet on the oil leak.

Did I mention that the vehicle has only 57K miles on it, or that I have religiously maintained it?

Once I get it back, I think I will start shopping for something new, definitely something non-Jeep. Considering that Daimler-Chrysler is laying off, I would think they would want to keep all of the customers they could.

-FCC-
  • jeeper123jeeper123 Member Posts: 1
    HI,, I bought a 1997 Jeep Larado, and its seems to me that the atena does not go down -- Is is safe to run this car though a car wash??

Thanks in advance
  • adventureadventure Member Posts: 4
    I have a 94 Jeep Grand Cherokee with a towing package. Under the dash is a blue cable (supposedly for the brake controller)
    does the blue cable feed into the controller or does it connect controller and plug in the rear. Can't seem to find the blue cable
    come out anywhere in the back to connect to the plug.
    Anyone out there to help me figure out what is what?
  • saleens7saleens7 Member Posts: 1
    Ok, the whining noise is normal from the front axle (I'm pretty sure)(Four wheel drive anyone) and I'm sorry that so many of you are having problems. But that does not mean that Jeep sucks. Just a handful of you are experiencing problems; think of all those extremely content owners who don't say anything on this page but absolutely love the Jeep, including me. And trust me, no other car manufacturer offers so many options for such a price (I've got a Laredo that's got everything and then some that a Limited does
    ). Plus, you all know it looks good. But it really is a good car, despite some of your rare Lemons. Good luck
  • talk2me1talk2me1 Member Posts: 2
    I own a GrChr Laredo with 40K and have had a very frustrating ownership. I have an extended warranty on it which is probably the smartest thing I have ever done. Have owned another Chryler product and if you want to keep your retirement account safe you HAVE to buy yourself some protection from these money-sucking beasts!!!!!!!
    The GrCh is making a thumping sound from the front end which the exact nature and source have not been determined. The differential has been checked, the front wheels and suspension are ok, brakes ok. tires and alignment new, and now the transfer case is the suspect in this saga. The 4wd is trying to kick in and once it is put in manually it won't come out even though it has physically been disengaged and the dash readout says it is not in 4wd...anyone else have this problem? Once this thumping goes away I will be finding a new home for this beast and going back to a Honda CRV to match my Civic. I am now willing to give up some of the sweet amenities of the Jeep for financial security and peace of mind from these constant noises and trips to the car shop.
  • talk2me1talk2me1 Member Posts: 2
    You may think Jeep GrCh looks good and consider that some us unfortunate owners merely have "lemons" but the pervasiveness of our problems speaks loud and clear; the machine is a disaster waiting to happen. All the recalls, minor warranty items and now the front end thumping I have encountered are very frustrating when you consider the cost of such a vehicle; I expect more for my money. I am waiting for the right time to get RID of this BEAST before it really goes down the tube!!!!!!!!!
  • jeeper97jeeper97 Member Posts: 1
    Thank you, thank you for all your stories about the '97 jeep. Not that I'm glad to see you in misery about your jeep, I was soooo frustrated with my jeep until I read the other notes. I loved the look of the jeep and the fact that I could go into 4 wheel drive very easily. What I didn't know when I bought mine brand spanking new was what a mechanical mess it is, I'm just so relieved I bought the extended warranty. In the three years of ownership I have had to have my tires replaced(within 6 months), rotated over 6 times (they thought this would take care of all my problems), cd and radio unit replaced twice, swaybar replaced, bumper replaced (the color doesn't match the rest of the car), air condition replaced, rear wiper motor replaced, all four door locks replaced, as well as transmission leaks, fuel leaks, and window replacement. As much as I like the look of the jeep, I will buy something else if I can get myself to sell this jeep in good conscience.
  • stantdmstantdm Member Posts: 1
    My 97 GC Laredo was purchased new and has had two rear differentials and one front in 31K. When the front failed it announced the failure with a severe vibration in the front end. The second rear diff. replacement took the car off the road for a month. I am fortunate that the other problems noted by several persons have not happened to this car but it will the last Jeep I purchase.
  • gnturboguygnturboguy Member Posts: 1
    I bought my 97jgc used and was told they were great. Since I bought the jeep I have had an electrical problem with it. When you drive down the road the interior lights flash on and off. It makes me look like an idiot. Also the alarm will just go off in the middle of the night. I haven't had any mechanical problems with it yet but was wondering if anyone has experienced these electrical problems. Thanks
  • tami860tami860 Member Posts: 2
    I am having a problem with the electrical system in my jeep. I have been blowing the fuse that controls my interior lights and back running lights. I brought the truck used in November and it has been back to the dealership 6 times. The dealership keeps telling me they can't duplicate the problem and it is getting very frustating having to keep taking the vehicle back. I have done no altering of this jeep and the dealership is stumped. I have had to tell the dealership that I am going to sue if they can not fix the vehicle. If you buy a used car know that you do have some rights. Most states recognize implied warranties. There is also no time limit on these types of warranties. If anyone has any electrical problem please contact me @ tami860@aol.com
  • laststrawlaststraw Member Posts: 1
    I bought American for the first time in my life and unfortunately probably my last.

I bought a 1997 JGC brand new.

Here are my complaints/problems:

1. Replaced the front diff bearings
    2. Replaced the rear diff bearings
    3. Drivers arm rest cracking
    4. CD player works intermittently
    5. CURRENTLY in the shop for the following as yet to be determined but diagnosed as:
    PO743: Torque Converter Clutch Solenoid
    PO753: Transmission 3-4 Shift Solenoid
    PO463: Fuel level sending volts too high

I like a few of the others I have read about bought the extended warrenty. The only one I have ever purchased in my life. The diffs did not cost me anything. We will wait and see what the latest thing costs.
  • belmarkbelmark Member Posts: 1
    Wow, I have been reading all of these posting and I am so amazed at the problems the new Jeeps have.
    I owned a 1991 Jeep Cherokee until it had 168,000
    miles on it, it never gave me a problem, just miles and miles of good journies. So I bought a
    1994 Grand Jeep Cherokee Laredo, I am currently at
    83,000 miles and still going strong-no problems.
    My first Jeep was so great, I insisted on a second. It sounds like the new models are not holding up. I heard a rumor Chrysler is going to stop production of the. I have been truly happy with both my Jeep Cherokees, but I don't own a
    1997-2000, these look like they have problems according to the posting boards.
  • deki80deki80 Member Posts: 3
    I have a 96 Jeep grand Cherokee limited 4.0, I have bought it with 49000 miles in February 99, and right now a I have 79000, NEVER had any problems drives strong, shifts pretty well, I mean only thing that I do is change engine oil every 2500 and differential oil every 10000, maybe the problem is that you are not taking care of your vehicle, so any car you buy you will have same problems, you can buy Porsche but if you are not taking care of it it will ride like h.., but I really love mine, looks really tough, rides beautifully, i take it to service for check every once in a while and that's it, and i will buy same one 96 jgchl with less miles some time soon, and it's really confortable
  • chad_19440chad_19440 Member Posts: 1
    I am experiencing my first prob. I have a 97 GCL, I live in a cold area, and as I start out, at about 15 mph I am getting a "squealing or churping noise" from the engine, well, I belive so anyway. I know nothing about cars, so therefore I do not know. The dealer told me it could be the belt because as the engine warms, the sound disapears!! So, can anyone help me out?? I would greatly appreciate your help. Oh, also it does not do it when idleing, only when driving. Thanks guys. Chad@deathrowrecords2000.com
  • pulp27pulp27 Member Posts: 1
    You guys are making me nervous. I bought my 97 JGC back in Sept. 97 and it has never once been in the shop for anything. Granted there are several little inconveniences such as the CD player only working when it's in the mood and the interior lights seem to have some sort of short. But I've had no mechanical problems, save the bad fuel-gauge sender unit that Jeep recalled. I was contemplating on buying another Jeep for my next purchase, after reading this I might reconsider.
  • lgalalgala Member Posts: 1
    Response to #35, my alarm goes off all the time without warning and has for the past year and half. It is in shop now. They cannot find the problem that makes the alarm sound when driving, but they did find: bad rear breaks, dirty air filter, bad spark plugs, bad steering box (x2), bad shift box. Plus I was told I need a total tune up at 31,000 miles and 3 years/5 months of ownership. Bought new. Last month I did ABS computer, CV boots, alarm, passanger seat broken (x5).It is a piece of doo doo and I plan to buy another GM asap. Lexus (Toyota) was a total electrical nightmare too.
  • sorbetsorbet Member Posts: 1
    Hmmm, you guys are freaking me out. I bought my jGCLaredo at the end of May last year and it's been great. Granted, I had to get new tires put on it, but that's my own silly fault for not paying closer attention when I bought it. Oops. Although, I will say my dash lights have flickered a few times. Sorry to hear about everyone's trouble with the truck, though. That's no good. \=
  • heyjupiter617heyjupiter617 Member Posts: 1
    I wish i was more computer savvy when i bout my 97 jgc. Had i had access to forums like these i would have bought something else. I haven't had any major problems with my jeep but i did what every car owner should do such as making sure the oil is changed, tires rotated, tuned up....Unfortunately all of this was pointless as my Jeep just doesn't operate as smoothly as it did when i bought it. I dont expect perfection but for a truck thats only 4 years old i do expect a much smoother ride than what i have now. Not to mention the fact that my sunroof works only when it wants to. I'm curious if anyone else has has had a problem with their sunroof ? Anyway, in less than a month i'm trading in the jeep and buying a Lexus!
  • viking70viking70 Member Posts: 1
    I am considering the purchase of a 1991 JCL, it has 180,000 miles...however, the owner put a Capitol engine in it 50,000 miles ago..i believe those are rebuilt engines as i dont believe you can get a new engine for this vehicle, the car has been very well taken care of, lots of new parts and equipment (CD, Keyless, Brush Guard), and a whole lot of tlc in terms of care, appearance and maintenance, the car has good curb appeal...any comments on the engine or otherwise...tks.
  • tlewis1977tlewis1977 Member Posts: 1
    I purchased my 95 GCL used a few years back, it has been the best of times and the worst of times. Have had a problem since day one with shifting out of four wheel drive. After four trips to the service dept.(a dealership that specializes in Jeeps) and many $thousands later, the service writer had me ride with the mechanic to show me what I was doing wrong regarding shifting out of 4WD. The mechanic took me out behind the dealership where he proceeded to alternately shift from reverse to drive goosing it with each shift. After the 5th shift the jeep would finally shift back to 2wd.
    The mechanic said," see the problem is fixed." The only problem now is that I look kind of foolish in the parking garage trying leave rubber, in forward then reverse.
    On the other hand she pulls my boat great. Off road awesome. I live on a hill and I am always helping people to the top when conditions get messy. It's a much better off-road than on-road vehicle. Perhaps it's just my service dept.
  • fishinfunfishinfun Member Posts: 1
    I am very amazed at the amount of such upset individuals concerning their Jeeps.
    I just recently got my first used 97 Laredo 4.0 Jeep in Red, liked the color, liked the truck look, liked the fact it had a tow hitch and a CD player as well as power seats, seemed all original, no paint work, seemed to run fine, was actually surprisingly quick besides the need I have of it and the Killer Deal I was getting.
    My needs include skiing in the winter and fishing my bass boat in the summer, figured was the right truck.
    At a time not too long ago , I even owned a body shop so guess you may say I know cars very well.
    So I decided to go online and see what the owners such as yourselves have to say about a truck which was and still used for WAR purposes...... You may say should be reliable / Not comfortable..
    And well seems I have found many upset people, many people who would even be so upset that they would go out of their way and write out of almost what you may say is anger.
    As far as all problems described herein you people must understand first what kind of a vehicle you have, the purpose it serves, what is it intended for , where made and by who, as well as who currently maintains it , and I do mean the individual performing the service may be not well knowledgeable or ever worked on your specific problem therefore has a lack of knowledge.
    I have leased and never again a brand new special order Mercedes Benz, a six cylinder sport model all white, looked cool, seemed the perfect ride, noone had one, also all powers and leather which the jeep lacks hehe....
    But now my problems with the Mercedes I had are by far worse than anything I have read here so far, No Dealer could correct my very loud
    front banging noise in the suspension which was all completely replaced several times, now this is just one of the problems now in a Mercedes hmmm......... ????
    oh and was shipped from Germany
    Transmission problems, electrical problems, catalytic converter problems, 3 new radios, approximately 14 alignments done at dealer alone, engine once shut off for no reason while driving to dinner needed a tow, and there's more ofcourse,....
    All ended up as a termination of lease which we shall be in court for since they did not acknowledge the problems yet they repossessed the car from while I was sitting at a traffic light, Well was pulled out my very own car window by three tow truck drivers which surrounded me and held me pinned down on the cement highway while making sure their VIN numbers matched on my car ( while I had no idea what was going on, thank God I did not carry that day ) and all this for not making one payment after 2.5 years , yes lease was almost done
    They still don't acknowledge any wrong doings nor any problems that I have had with my car but what do I know I only owned a huge operation for a body shop and do have a stack of receipts from all the service done at their shops so I guess it was not a UFO sighting oh and a police report for the incident which occurred.
    So Ive had my Jeep now for 1 month and have had it to service to do an oil change and got quite a few modifications in performance for it to make stronger, look better and perform as it should, ofcourse not to mention be more suitable and reliable for all terrain conditions for my outdoor needs,,,
    Guess you may say is Im glad I got one Im enjoying it and am looking forward to my Bass Tournaments.
    Good Luck to the rest of you fellow Jeep owners !!!!!
    And now lets ask ourselves this......
    Since the two companies have merged what will happen now ?????
    hehehe
  • alanmakcaalanmakca Member Posts: 12
    I had a 98 JGC Laredo with the 4L I6. Lots of TLC, maintenance by the book. Of course, the cylinder heads had to completely reworked at 20K miles...but it took three trips to the dealer (Willowdale Chrysler in Toronto) because they couldn't find their own behinds with both hands!

Bottom line, the incomptent dealer support combined with the MAJOR mechanical problems with a supposedly bulletproof engine turned me off Jeep. I traded in the Jeep for a used 97 MB C230. I miss the cargo space and 4WD in the winter, but at least I'm not a daily visitor at the dealer's service lounge.
  • tami860tami860 Member Posts: 2
    Hi! I posed a message about electrical problems I was experiencing with my Jeep. After 8 tries at the dealer I finally took my Jeep to an independent electrical shop. In less then a day I had the problem corrected. I had been experiencing a fuse blowing causing my interior lights to blow. The cause was a wire that had been routed against a brace and had worn. The shop told me this was a factory problem. I contacted the dealership and was even reimbursed for my repairs. Now I can say I am truly enjoying my Jeep. Please don't let a few messages discourage you from buying Jeep. I love mine. If you need any info on the electrical problem. email me at tami860@aol.com
  • robert104robert104 Member Posts: 1
    My jeep( 40,000 mi) has been giving me itermittent problems starting since I got it, the battery is not the prob. but sometimes when the weather is cold or rainy and I dont use the car for about two days I have to jumpstart the car , its always started ; but for the first time after a heavy rainfall it didnt start.All the dash lights came out as if to start
    but the engine didnt crank and I didnt get the the usual low battery startup sound.I also coulnt jumpstart it.
    Is there a moisture problem with the jeeps that somehow affects the ignition(plugs, dist cap.) coupla days later I was able to jumpstart the car and it was fine( after the car dried out?)
    Ive never waited for the car to completely dry out, usually I just try to jumpstart it and its ok until the next time which can be in months or I drained the battery so this is the reason I end up jumpstarting it.
    My dealer always tells me the battery and everything is fine.
    Does anyone know what type of testing options
    there are for the charging system,and what it does?

Oh did I mention Ive had to replace my actuator motors on all four car doors ( once on all four doors and 3 times on
    the drivers door). and I expect more

For now I think my problems are minor(and I dont expect it to get better as the car gets more use.) considering what other people are experiencing.But if your considering jgc major or minor
    problems this is the risk you take and they will cause you inconvenience.

thanks
  • 1skeeter21skeeter2 Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a Jeep Grand Cherokee Loredo from a dealership and have noticed the same problems others have had with the electrical system. Is this possibly a design flaw and maybe covered under some kind of warranty ?? Has anyone had success with getting it fixed, if so how ? Please send me email at 1skeeter2@email.com
This discussion has been closed.