Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lexus LS: Problems & Solutions

Comments

• blumrlnblumrln Member Posts: 11
    I have the same problem with my 91 LS-400. Lowest temp is 65 and the highest is 85. I just count the beeps to tell where I am as far as temp. And forget about the clock I can't even see that I just look at my watch.
    Any body know where I can purchase a complete drivers seat for a 91 LS-400 ??
    Besides the Rip Off dealerships Lexus of Cherry Hill & Lexus of Atlantic City in New Jersey
  • q45manq45man Member Posts: 416
    My figures on cost to maintain were a blend of the 403 90-96 LS 400 we service plus the cost of ownwership data [main & repair section] collected by Intellichoice, Inc.
    Most people don't spend quite this much because they don't keep the car in like new condition for the 200,000 miles. Things like paint, tires, brakes, shocks and suspension components, alignments, engine cleanliness [EGR/PCV], exterior glass/headlights, and displays are often under maintained or cheaper aftermarket components are substituted in effforts to save money.
    If you only spend $1000 a year and drive 15,000 miles per year, you have unaddressed issues with any car even a Civic would be hard pressed continue like new operation on this diet of funds.
    It is hard for me to understand why people pay 100%-300% markup on most common items [like dress shirts, suits, shoes, liquor, drugs, and jewelry then freak out when they find out that a dealership marks up parts by 30% to stay in business.
    Be truthful what is the markup on items in the industry where you work.
    Do you ever accuse your doctor of ripping you off after heart surgery what about the pharmacy?
    Ps Toyota sets the LIST prices for parts!
    What do you know about the LS-400 anyway you drive a q
    Shouldn't you be in another town hall?
  • mhartlessmhartless Member Posts: 11
    q45man...

You must work for a dealership that services Lexus's and Infinities and are attempting to justify the exorbinant costs that dealers charge for parts and service....Who would buy a used car that requires $3000 a year for maintenance...not me? Let the people that can afford a new LS400 pay for those frivolous services every 7.5kmi.

My advice to other used Ls400 owners is find a reliable mechanic who you trust to work on your fine automobile and when something goes wrong have it fixed immediately...i.e. power steering leaks...then fix before the alternator goes out. Put in platinum plugs that are good for 100kmi and change the oil and other fluids at the recommended intervals.

As for the leaking LCD's... I'm with blumrln count the beeps to set the temperature and look at your watch for the time....I'm not going to spend $500 for something that does not provide any significant usefulness....save the money for some nice riding tires at 200kmi ;-)

As for not being able to sell the vehicle if the LCD is blurry....Bull?!*&....Myself and other LS400 owners were willing to negotiate a lower price accepting the fact that I will have to look at my watch a few times. I was very willing to take $500 off the price for that small inconveniance.

My advice to anyone looking into buying a used LS400 is have it checked out by a mechanic first and be ready to own one of the best cars in the world...consider this...for under $15000 you can own a REAL nice used LS400 that is better than any new Ford Taurus you will ever ride in and more reliable if cared for properly. In addition your used LS400 will probably have better resale in 5 years when you want to upgrade to another LS400.
  • blumrln1blumrln1 Member Posts: 9
    I purchased my 91 LS in 94 with 49k ,today I have 133K.Knowing that over time i would have to maintain the vehicle. I did my home work and spoke to other LS owners about service costs.

I went to the dealership to purchase an LS, But before I got into the showroom I was speaking to a LS owner who wanted to trade in his car, But the dealer wouldn't give him a fair trade in, So I made him an offer and he agreed we went to my bank and I drove the car home.

I am fortunate to have a long time friend who is a master mechanic and I have not had to take the car to a dealer ever.

I was prepared to replace mechanical parts (ps pump,alternator,rack & pinion,brake pads,tires etc..) over time. I don't mind, I bought the car to drive and enjoy and thats what i do.
  • hyperopthyperopt Member Posts: 55
    I concurred...LS400 is among the best car out there. Cars with the same model are not all the same. Some have more troubles than others depending on maintenance, driving styles, lucks, ect...Most of these factors we cannot control except for maintenance and driving styles.

Fortunately, I can repair most problems with my cars and even then I don't fix everything that goes wrong with my cars. I carefully consider the part cost+labor+benefits(problem fixed) before doing any repair, and if I decided not to fix the problem, does that classified my car as "improperly maintained"? I don't think so! My cars can run just a good if not better than many cars that are on the road.

...And to spend $3K on average per year to "properly maintain" your LS400 is way too high for my taste. Unless you're satisfied with "fattening up" the dealers and "thinning out" your wallet then be my guest, otherwise, shop around and don't give-in to mechanic's demands without doing further research.
  • dealerfloridadealerflorida Member Posts: 50
    I received valuable information here on LCD source and repair for my 92 AS 400 thank you all for your contributions. The removal was very easy and replacement was also quite fine. I did find a good way to remove the wood trim around the Trans shifter. I used a paint can cover removal tool (Something like a screw driver) facing forward toward ash tray and radio. I gently inserted the tip of tool under rubber trim gasket and then pressed downward on handle causing the tip to force wood trim upwards. I did use a second screw driver laid across so when I pushed downward it provided extra leverage. I used caution to pull upwards as advised, and then pulled rearward not to break the clips.
    Total cost of fix $195-.
    I have new issues though. My driver door handle cracked as I opened the door (During LCD fix!) I order a new one from irontoad.com for $105-. The dealer wants $125- to install and I wonder if I should do it myself. have any members done this install ? if yes any advice?
    I also have transmission shudder and poor down shifts etc. I am considering the flush and type IV Toyota tranny fluid as recommended here as well, I just hope it helps because car is really enjoyable excluding the tranny vibration and torque converter lock up. I do not even know what torque converters do or how this would affect and cause tranny shudder??
    I am supposed to sell this car ( I am a dealer ) however I find myself becoming somewhat attached to her.
    Sheldon
  • blumrln1blumrln1 Member Posts: 9
    Thanks Dealerflorida

http://www.irontoad.com/l_home.htm

Not associated with dealer in any way except we must buy parts from them. [They hate us with a passion because combined we remove over $2.5 million of their revenue from the local market.
    T3 is SE largest independent repair facility [ATL], we only work on the two brands and Lexus represents 65% of our current 3,107 customer base.
    My estimates are adjusted upwards to reflect dealer charges from our own data base.
    Our average service bill for an LS runs $331 per visit but we don't deal with tires.
    Forum members prove my point by not spending the money to keep cars like new [HVAC display blanked out].
    I have been trying to find a way to fix or cover the leather blemishes on my LS400 steering wheel. (Obtained from someone using one of those lock bar devices to prevent theft.)

I think I have found the answer....Wheelskins...

You can go to www.wheelskins.com to view them. For my walnut/tan LS400 I purchased the eurotone tan/brown combination.

I purchased them at a discount from www.DCCARCARE.com they are extremely helpful.

There is nothing like unblemished leather against your skin.....Ahhhhhhhhh.

OK you perverts...I know there is something that would feel better but this is a car site!
    For your A/C problem (Orlando I am in S.FLA Fort lauderdale holly wood area) a same similar problem existed with my car. I changed the EPR valve evacuated and recharged the system and it works fine. Total cost for parts and labor $270-.

For steering wheel mine was chewed up horribly. I tried to find a correct from Lexus replacement to no avail and then tried after market with no success. I brought the car to a upholstery shop who does headlines and seat cover repair etc. He sanded down and removed old color and "dyed" (more like a special paint they call it "dye")the steering wheel to match original color. Cost $35- and it looks super!.

Door handle driver side. I received the handle from irontoad.com, dealer asked for $125- to install and warned me not to attemp due to one screw being almost impossible to reach. I just could not help myself and when I was told not to do it, I just had to try. It took 2 hours and Yes one screw was difficult to get at but job is done and door handle works perfect. Cost of door handle $131- with 2 day shippping. This job does require some mechanical ability and some prior knowledge of door panel removal. If you have not done some of the aforementioned I do not recomend attempting this one alone.

One of my remote keys does not open the door locks after I changed the 3 volt battery , any sugggestions or fixes for this issue??

Best regards
    Sheldon
  • tn52tn52 Member Posts: 4
    I have a 93 S. 1)Could some one shows me how to change the headlight bulbs? 2)Any good brand that gives a better and whiter light output? Thanks.
  • ferraro1ferraro1 Member Posts: 44
    Hello ALL ~
    It is Me , well i just got my new Rack and Pinion installed but not at the Lexus Dealer Bridgestone/Firestone and now when the car is in Park it makes this slight vibration , I mean it is so slight no one but me (Psyco about the car) can hear/feel it. it is a humming sound/feeling that you can feel JUST on the floor around the pedals and the Tack is not moving or going up and down so..... I was just wanting to know if this could be because the REMANUFACURED RACK AND PINION was not installed correctly, or has a defect or if it may be some other problem I also had the oil Changed there at Bridgestone/Firestone, could that be it ? do Lexus require a certain oil ??? ok well thanks hope someone can help !
    Paul,
    (LONG time Lexus Fan) !
  • remh02remh02 Member Posts: 1
    Silcos,
    In you msg #27 you mention to "Stick your fingers in bottom of vents and pull straight out." what vents are you talking about? It didn't seem to matter relative to your other descriptions to getting to the bulbs.
  • as19735as19735 Member Posts: 1
    I am looking for an independent mechanic to work on my 1991 LEXUS LS400 in the area surrounding Cerritos,CA.I have a door and air conditioner problem.Please help !
  • smorris517smorris517 Member Posts: 3
    I have a similar problem with my LCD. Where did you find the parts and the method to replace it.

Secondly, I dropped off my LS 400 to have both the P/S pump and A/C compressor replaced. The first 4 rebuilt compressor leaked and the current one in the car has a vibrating piston just like my original with 100K miles. I love the car but the major maintenance is running @ $2K/yr at this point.
    Any and all input would be appreciated.
    I think the author of msg#27 tried to show the procedure to replace the light bulbs behind the lcd/temp display. The vents mentioned there refered to the two air vent above lcd/temp display. I removed my lcd/temp display without removing the wood around the shifter area(it's not necessary), other than that the procedure is the same as in msg#27.
    smorris517,

Refer to msg#27&122 for LCD replacement procedure. You can get the rebuilt part directly from the rebuilder at a lower price than the dealer(Read older messages on this thread). The rebuilder is located in S. SanFrancisco.
  • smorris517smorris517 Member Posts: 3
    Regarding #40 I had the same problem with my 92 LS 400. In the wiring harness mounted in the deck lid, one of the wires that goes along the hinge on the left side is too short and has broken. The result intermittent opens and the first time you hit the brakes, the system moves to the high voltage mode due to the display.
    I found this out by turning on the lights in my car and raising and lowering the trunk. Wiggle the wires in the harness withing the hinge and you will find the culprit. Simply cut and resplice to correct the problem.
  • kpkmkpkm Member Posts: 2
    I am currently looking at buying a 1990 Lexus LS400. The car appears to be in great shape, however it has 143,000 mi. The dealer will give a 1 mo warranty but that's it.

What am I looking at as far as annual maint/repairs go if the car was previously well-maintained?
  • silverprincesssilverprincess Member Posts: 75
    I've been reading this message board over the last couple of days and I found it to be extremely useful and comforting...had I known sooner!
    As a 93 LS400 owner with 111k miles, I found it comforting to know that I wasn't the only one to with the leaky PS pump that ultimately killed the alternator...I should've heeded the dealer's warning! Well, like they say, when it rains, it pours! Now that I've got a new PS pump and alternator, my mechanic found out that the thermostat and the thermostat housing are bad too, thus causing the car to overheat. So hopefully replacing the thermostat and housing will take care of the problem. Anything else I should be looking at?How often should the radiator be replaced?
    Also, message #58 (from Sandyfordiii) was never answered. ["I've noticed my outer half of the speedometer needle in my 91 LS 400 flickered for awhile and is now just dead. Might anyone know of a fix short of a new factory part, or of a source for rebuilt speedometers / needles?"] The dealer told me that the whole display assembly needs to be replaced ($500+ total), but is this true of is he just trying to rip off another customer?
    If anyone has any answers or recommendations, please respond. Talk to you all soon!
    Anyone watch this on Dateline yesterday?

http://www.msnbc.com/news/546530.asp#BODY

• w988w988 Member Posts: 6
    This is what I paid the nexus Dealer's service department for some routine maintenance services:
    timing belt - $600
    front and rear brakes - $500
    60,000 mile service - $800
    75,000 mile service - $200
    90,000 mile service - $600
    My mechanic just replaced the thermostat and its housing and it seems like this has fixed the coolant leaking/overheating problem. But now when he test drives my 93 LS400, he notices that the temperature reading goes to the maximum hot after 10-15 minutes on the road! But when he stops and checks the engine, there are no signs of overheating. Anyone have similar experiences or comments? Is the problem with the temperature sensor? I have noticed too that when I turn on heater (doesn't matter what temperature is set), only cool/outside air comes gets ventilated. But when I turn OFF all ventilation, heat starts to come in! Please advise. Thanks!
  • bradjensenbradjensen Member Posts: 2
    My wife's 1998 LS400 has a strange and scary problem. While the car is in gear, at any moment (fast slow, stright, or turning) the drive train loses all power - like it has shifted to nutreul. The Check VSC message appears, engine light comes on, VSC Off light comes on, engine is still running, no power to wheels.

Imagine you are turning in front of an oncoming semi when this happens - not good.

It started one or twice a week, now several times a day. Took it to the dealer twice, he replaced the TPS sensor, then adjusted the TPS sensor. He swore it was fixed (I insisted on talking to the mechanic.) That was yesterday. Today it happened twice, once while I was at the wheel. The only fix is to stop the engine and restart the car.

Shifting gears makes no diference - to neutral or park, the drive - but reverse gear still works.

VSC switch makes no difference.

Turn off the engine, start it again, everything works fine by the warning ligths and message are still there - after a while they go away.

I'm afraid to let her drive the car.

ps about 30,000 miles on this car

this could kill somebody.
    The "pulling out of the vents" refers to the A/C vents atop the automatic climate control unit. When you face the vent direction downwards this allows the tips of your fingers to grab the housing surronding the vents. if you pull outward and downward firmly the whole face with vents pops out exposing 2 screws holding auto climate with LCD in its place.

For question about wether to purchase a early 1990 LS 400 here is my opinion. Be preapred to spend a lot of money for parts and maintenance. The car is reliable and perfoms suberp, however it is expensive to own. The V-8 only uses premium fuel, and averages 15 MPG city. The trade off is you will own and drive a very prestigious, luxury car for a lot less than what a 2000 year model costs to purchase or lease. I think, if you can afford 2K a year for up keep than treat yourself to one. I would not pay 50 grand to purchase or 10 grand a year to lease a new one so I purchased a used one for a lot less. I think it will still have a resale value when 12 to 15 years old with 125 k plus miles, there will always be a buyer for such a car. I am a car dealer and I have a 2001 Nissan sentra that I bought outright, this is my daily driver which makes 25 miles to a gallon and takes less than 3 quarts oil when changing. I have been using my Lexus on weekends so I am not running up the miles and tearing up the car. I realize this is not feasible for all people, however it is a good way to own such a car to keep costs down and its value up. I have entered my 92 LS-400 in a E-bay auction, you can check it out a white 92 LS 400, flroida car.

The LCD unit can be purchased from Mikado Technologies 1-(650) 615-9966. I changed mine and I am very happy I did, I no longer squirm or get upset when I glance at the A/C/ unit.

Best regards to Y'all
    Sheldon
    Hello ~
    I have just recived my new 23K Gold Package for my 94 and i just installed it, looks wonderful , however I am not sure on how to take the old Antenna Bezel out and then install the new one , if anyone can help that would be great.
    (Long time Lexus Fan)
    Paul
    Hello (Me again)
    I just took a Look at your 1992 LS400 Sheldon , wow it is very nice , but why are you letting her go after all the work and $$ ? do you have another Lexus ? i would not want to get rid of an LS400 with all the problems solved cuz that car will last you another 100,000 MILES k well hope to hear from you soon !
    Paul
    Dear Paul:
    To earn a living I am a consultant for import export companies. This occupies about 7 to 10 days a month. For the remaining time I buy and sell cars. I only purchase and sell cars I enjoy driving and repairing. This is my second Lexus
    LS 400 and I am learning a lot about them particulalrly through this message board. I do a lot of the work myself to keep busy and I really enjoy it. At auctions I select only the best car I can find and search for the service records and/or hints of one ownership. I purchased this car and invested 1000 dollars into reconditioning. I have the time and the knowledge to change the LCD for example when the average person would not have the time or know how so I do it for them. I would only sell the car in the type of condition I would like it to be if I were the customer/buyer. If I get the price I want it will be sold, if not I will keep it. I do use it and enjoy it. I have another car, a 1985 cadillac Eldorado with 55 thousand orginal miles in very good condition as well. That car is at fedcar.com it is white exterior wit red interior. It is also a toy for me to play with but, Lexus is my favorite.
    Best regards
    Sheldon
    Hello (Me Again)
    Well I was looking through the history records of my LS400 and I found one that was done on September 5th,1997 with 45,942 miles at Lexus it is part # 350105007084 and it states as follows on the service record
    DESCRIPTION-~Reman ATM W/TORQ/C List price of $4,359 Net $5,115~ Then there was another part states as follows ~
    Core, Reman ATM, LS, LIST-$1,000 NET, $1450 then it has it Subtracted from the $5,115 price for a grand total of $3,665.27 + $247.50 for Labor = $3,912.77 ,This is also on the record
    CONDITION-"Hesitation felt why driving"
    CAUSE-Clutch Shutters on Reingagement, Shifts Hard 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd
    Remedy- Replace Trans Assy
    Ok well What I am wanting to know is "what was installed ??" was it a new Automatic Transmission ? is so WHY did it FAIL !?!?! and what is a Torq C ?? is that a common problem I think i have heard it mentioned before ALSO what was that $1,450.00 SUBTRACTED from the initial $5,115.27 cost , thanks everyone hope someone can help (Tyring to learn more about my Lexus "under the hood wise")
    (Lexus Fan)
    Paul
    I just got off the phone from Mikado about the LCD unit.

It costs $295 for an individual ordering the unit.....If you can get a shop to order it for you the cost is wholesale at $195.

They require you to send in the unit or it costs you an extra $100.
  • alcanalcan Member Posts: 2,550
    The invoice states that a "reman" (remanufactured) transmission was installed. Torq C is the torque converter. The $1,450 is the core charge for the original transmission, refunded IF the original is still in rebuildable condition when returned to the remanufacturing facility. You got somebody else's transmission after it had failed, been replaced, then remanufactured. Standard trade procedure.
  • drivinfooldrivinfool Member Posts: 10
    Hi--I own a 94 Lexus LS400--saw your post re the power steering pump. I replaced mine at around 96,000 miles and replaced water pump and timing belt at same time. I had a serious fluid leak with p/s pump but didn't experience any other mechanical problems. Water pump and timing chain were dealer-recommended maintenance.
    I love my car and have expenienced no serious problems with it. It has 116,000 miles and I guess I will drive it until it won't go any more!
    Was wondering if you recommend maintenance by any other dealers such as Toyota? I feel like we really take it up the tailpipe when these Lexus dealers are the only game in town. I have received solicitations in the past from Toyota for service but have been reluctant to try it.
    I recently had my "94 LS in for service and attempted to have them order me a new ignition key with remote. They wanted $350 for ONE key so I told them to keep it. My remote button broke off when I dropped the keys but it isn't worth that much for a new one
    I would not have a problem allowing a toyota dealer service a Lexus. I might ask for some references, perhaps other customers who are satisfied. Dealers, new car dealers that is, tend be reliable but expensive. Lexus cars have numerous shared parts with toyota autos. you can also try a smaller reapir first ad see how it goes?
    Best of luck
    Sheldon
  • weinerdawgweinerdawg Member Posts: 2
    I own a 91 LS 400. It is in immaculate condition. Currently, I have 121,000 miles on. This a great car except for one big annoying problem. She has terrible brake squeal at very low speeds, such as 5 miles per hour. The Lexus dealership tells me this is a common problem and is due to the mettallic brake pad. My pads were changed at 90,000 miles and I have 70% left on them. But this noise is embarrassing. Can anyone help??
    I have a 94 LS400 with 116,000 miles on it and the brakes have been screaming since the first month that I had it--same problem that you describe at very low braking speed and especially when you are creeping along. I complained loudly the first year but got the same answers you did. I guess I have just learned to live with it! You would think as much as these cars cost, they could find a way to eliminate the noise as it is
    rather embarrasing.
  • kl3415kl3415 Member Posts: 12
    I have a 1990 Ls400 that is in excellent condition. I changed the timing belt @ 75K and the car now has 120000K and I was wondering how often the timing belt should be change? I believe the owner's manual recommends 60K but is that really necessary? I replaced the a/c unit at 100000K and my LCD light has gone out. The clock still displays but at night I am "in the dark". Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

Ken
  • kl3415kl3415 Member Posts: 12
    I had the same problem with my car. I changed the thermostat, both hoses, temp. sending unit, coolant and still I had high indications. The culprit ended up being a bad guage. It cost about $150 to have it replaced at the dealer. However, that is because I took the dash off myself.
  • garrettcgarrettc Member Posts: 1
    My '93 LS400 has an intermittent idle problem. Usually it is ok. But about once a week, it won't idle and stalls out for one to two days. Then it is ok again. When it happens the car runs fine, I just have to keep one foot on the accelerator and one on the brake to keep the idle up. Dealer saw two codes, one in the throttle sensor and one in air flow sensor. He put in a Throttle Positioning Sensor, but it still has the problem. Dealer wants to put in an Air FLow sensor on the air intake for $700 plus labor. Won't guarentee that will fix it. Has anyone had this problem? Any suggestions? Please email me with any answers.
    Thanks in advance,
    Garrett
    garrettc@eos.net
    My LS400 timing belt was replaced by previous owner at 62K and now the car has 116K. I pondered whether or not I should change the belt at 60K interval, but after some research, I decided not to even though I could change the belt myself (had changed 5+ Toyota&Honda timing belts). Why?

1. LS400 timing belt is no wimpy belt. It is homungus and should last for at least 100K assuming the belt is not contaminated(ie. oil or antifreeze), properly pensioned, and no lock-up.

2. LS400 engine is free-wheeling, thus, no damage to the engine when the belt snap. However, you would need a tow to your favorite shop or to your own garage for a belt replacement.

In short, I decided to not throw away the timing belt prematurely, and to be on the safe side, I would replace it at 90K which equated to 50% more usage. These are my thoughts. Make your own decision!
  • lexomanlexoman Member Posts: 4
    I own a 1992 LS400 with 50k MILES. BROUGHT IT FROM A DEALER WHEN IT HAD 40K MILES 1 YR AGO. I NOTICED THAT THE TRANSIMISSION CLUNKS WHEN SHIFTING OUT OF REVERSE OR PARK INTO NEUTRAL OF DRIVE. SINCE IT HAS RELATIVELY LOW MILEAGE, CAN SOMEONE EXPLAIN WHY THIS IS?...THE TRANS WAS ON DEXTRON MERON FLUID FOR 3K MILES BUT RECENTLY CHANGED TO FACTORY FLUIDS... THANKS
  • jeffmust2jeffmust2 Member Posts: 811
    I purchased a used '95 LS that now has 80K miles; I'm sure the original shocks are still installed.

Has anyone installed non-OEM shocks and, if so, at what mileage, price range, and results?

This is a great board for LS owners - but I keep nerviously checking the power steering pump every Sunday!
  • weinerdawgweinerdawg Member Posts: 2
    Thank you for your response to my brake squeal. Since reading your post I'm thinking the only way to live with this problem, is to quiet this down. I'm gonna check and see if I could get a standing appointment maybe every 2 weeks and have those brakes cleaned and sprayed for a reasonable cost. It would be worth it for the summer and not necessary for the winter.
  • w988w988 Member Posts: 6
    I asked my Lexus Service Consultant about a timing belt replacement when my 93 LS400 needed a 60,000 miles service and was told to wait until
    its 90,000 miles service. Since I read several messages mentioned replacing the water pump and the power steering pump, I will probably replace them at 90,000 miles.
  • searay101searay101 Member Posts: 1
    My 90 LS400 with 102K is equipped with traction control. Somewhat frequently my TRAC light in the center of the speedo will stay on. When this occurs the car will not downshift in a passing situation. Attempting to stomp the throttle only causes an unimpressive surge and not the normal downshift and exceleration.

Everyones feedback is appreciated.
  • alcanalcan Member Posts: 2,550
    Start by having the ABS/Traction Control system controller scanned for any stored diagnostic trouble codes. That might point you in the right direction.