Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mercury Cougar

Comments

• cocheezcocheez Member Posts: 11
    This is kind of getting off topic, so we might want to move this discussion elsewhere
  • roadroachroadroach Member Posts: 131
    I don't think most members of the CSG would really mind if you were off topic or not.....just don't get'em started on toasters again...8^)
  • badulahbadulah Member Posts: 961
    O Yeah Toasters, and Kedds!
  • mznmzn Member Posts: 727
    Toto, we're not in the CSG anymore... :-)

carlady/host
    8-)

Sorry!

Sooooo, anyone have any Cougar questions?
  • cocheezcocheez Member Posts: 11
    My se-r will smoke cougars too
  • gustafscgustafsc Member Posts: 361
    Cocheez:

I traded in a 91 for the Cougar.

Loved the little rascal for 9 years, but finally, the only car came along that made me want to give her up. The Cougar.

Roomier, much better looking, and if any of the C&D performance numbers are correct, evenly matched, although, to me, the Cougar is faster once you're off the line, and I definitely feel more grunt on the open road or expressways. I mean, at 70MPH, downshift to 4th and you can hurt your neck as it jumps to 80-85 instantly (liberal application of throttle required, of course).

If you've modded the Sentra, it might be a little quicker (or if you did the complete job like in Sport/Compact car magazine,a lot quicker), but as to smoking a Cougar every time, I wouldn't bet on it. A lot would depend on the launch and shifting skills.

I enjoyed the SE-R for a long time, but with the Cat I get to play just as hard, and have more creature comforts as well. Besides, nobody ever stared at the Sentra and said "Cool Car".

Skip G.
    I don't mind getting in the last word in a discussion, but this is rediculous!!!!!!

I didn't mean to kill the topic :(

Skip G.
    Yeah, where did everyone go?
  • stageleftstageleft Member Posts: 391
    Hopefully they're out buying Cougars!
  • neonreaperneonreaper Member Posts: 9
    I read the recent caranddriver.com 40k mile test of the Cougar. They complained about the lumbar support rather in depth. I have test driven Cougars twice, each at a half an hour stint. I have not noticed any problems with the lumbar support at all. Maybe it is a pain, but I had no problems with it. A person would notice such a problem if driving for 30 minutes I would imagine. I will test drive a cat next week and look out for the problems that the C and D article mentioned.

I graduate on Sunday, and next week I will be doing some more test driving and a lot of talk about financing. In two weeks, I might have my very own cat!! I will likely end up with a lot model. I don't mind, most lot models I have come across have no more than 100 miles and are usually fully loaded. With the demand so low for these cars, I can probably get around invoice for them. carsdirect.com lists under invoice for a Cougar. Good news for me because I can print that quote up and bring it to the dealer and say "I really like this car and I have this great quote! But I'd like to buy local..." and I can actually back it up this time hehe. Well, hopefully I own my cat in a few weeks!!!
  • fredlyfredly Member Posts: 201
    Neonreaper, I've driven 11 hours straight(ok with gas fill ups and potty breaks)
    but I found no problem with the comfort of my lumbar support, however my lumbar support
    is not functional at this time, something on the twisty thing let loose so the lumbar is in its lowest position
  • fish8fish8 Member Posts: 2,282
    Come join us in the owners club section. It is much more active than this thread. Keep us updated on your test drives.
  • projectzx3projectzx3 Member Posts: 256
    my wife and i will soon be in the market for a car for her and our daughter. i bought a zx3 for my son and i to have fun in and we absolutely love it! simply put my girls like the looks of the 'cat' better. anyway, i'd like to hear some feedback... any advice would be appreciated.
    I have a '99 Cougar and love it. I also like the looks of the Focus ZX3. If I were you I would go test drive a Cougar and see what you think. The driving dynamics of the Cougar(as well as the Focus) are awesome. They handle with total confidence. The power in the V6 Cat should be better than the Focus. Eventhough I have never driven a Focus. As I stated above, you should post in the Owners club section of this board. There are many more posts in that area.
  • mznmzn Member Posts: 727
    fish8, to get rid of a double post, go to the second post, in this case #382 of 323, and click on 382. A new screen will open and give you the option of hiding the post or scribbling/erasing it.

A user can delete her own posts, hosts can delete posts written by users. I could have scribbled this one for you and then I thought you might appreciate the tutorial. ;-)

carlady/host
    Thanks carlady
  • neonreaperneonreaper Member Posts: 9
    Last Thursday I got my 2000 Cougar. It's Rio Red, and is equipped with everything besides traction control. This car is sweet! I've driven it for over 200 miles already. The owner's group is the CSG, right?
    yup, and e can be found in the Owner's Clubs Conferences.
    Also be sure and Check out NECO newcougar.org
    Check out the official CSG web site it:
    http://home.att.net/~cougarsupportgroup
    Congratulations, Neonreaper! I'm sure you'll love it's styling and driving characteristics as much as we do! Have fun!
  • seahorse7seahorse7 Member Posts: 3
    I just got my 2000 cougar a month ago....LOVE it!! But does anyone have the feeling of it "hesitating" or "grabbing" when you have the air conditioning on or the defrost on?? It is a continuous thing and it drives me crazy. The dealership people tell me that it is the compressor and that it is the design of the A/C and thats the way it is. I'm debating whether or not I should get them to do diagnostic tests on it, or if it is a normal thing with these cars...I won't waste my time. So if anyone shares this let me know, and I won't be wasting my time!!
    Thanks...oh yah..I love the cupholder!! And I even managed to get myself carsick driving it around curves to fast!! I Love it!!!
    Seahorse:

Congratulations on your purchase, I'm glad you like it as much as we've been raving about for the past couple of years now! :^)

If it's truly a bad-type jerking or a really bad hesitation, have your dealership check the system for leaks. Apparently, mine was leaking like a siv a few weeks back, but after they fixed the O-rings, it drives like a champ with the a/c on. Heading out of the city yesterday in moderate traffic in 83+humidity allowed me to really test it out, and it pulls through almost as if the a/c weren't on. Of course I was keeping the RPM's high (3500-5500) and didn't ever hit fifth ...

Be sure to check out the the Cougar Support Group in the Owner's Clubs Conference here in the Town Hall, and have a look at the CSG web site: http://home.att.net/~cougarsupportgroup

Take care, and happy Cougaring!
    Stageleft
    I think I will take it in then because people have told me that it just isn't right. It should be a smooth ride with out any hesitating even with the a/c or defrost on. Its not bad, but its noticable. I took the service guy from the dealership out, and everytime it happened I told him..he didn't feel it, but anyone else who rode with me noticed it.??.
    So yours doesn't do that then. Its just a plain ole smooth ride? Diagnostic testing it is then!!
    Thanks again! (Maybe its my luck as usual..I get the defective one!!)
    I have a '99 and the only affect the AC has on my Cat is a slight loss of power. I don ot experience the "jerking you all are talking about. It can't hurt to get it looked at by the dealer. Its just a hassle.
    I like this little chat room.. or whatever you call it!! It gives one a sense of unity with others that share a common love!! (cchheezzzyyy I know!!) But your input is great because I went froma 92 Geo Tracker...biggest option was the cd player I put in it.. to the Cougar which has bells and whistles that I still can't figure out. (cruise control still gets me!!)
    Anyways..I just wanted to say that!
    Oh..I tried to get to CSG..is there a little room you go in or something cause all I get is events and other small things that come up. I like the cat sound! :)
    Welcome aboard!!!

Go over to the Edmunds owner's club conference. There's several different items pertaining to the Cougar Support Group. That's where most of the chat goes on.

Skip G,
    Come join us in the Owners Club section of Edmunds. Go to conferences and then Owners Club. There are a great group of people over there. Very helpful and fun.
    And if you're liking this sense of community, then that's the place to go. The discussion group for the CSG is hosted here, on Edmunds.com, while the CSG web site is set up for members/owners to read about upcoming events and their status, to see what others are doing to/with their vehicles and how, and reviews and such based on information gathered on the car.
    Um, Hi i'm new to this and I was thinking about gettin a new car. Is the Cougar better than the Civic Si? Can someone let me know what they think?

Thanks a bunch
  • blaneblane Member Posts: 2,017
    badulah:

Get a life, perhaps?
    Yeah, I guess I do need one. I'm bored to death with nothing to do but watch the clock. At 5:00 I go on vacation for almost two weeks. It's been a long day.
    You don't have to be so mean.

8-b
    badulah:

You probably think this song is about you. Ooops...about me.

Enjoy your vacation.
  • golden50golden50 Member Posts: 3
    The Cougar shares the drive trains with the Ford Contour. In the V-6 version the transmission is known to leak. There are two service bulletins regarding treansmission leaks with the V-6 (99-24-9) and (94-22-8). If you own a vehicle with this V-6 check the transmission for leaks. I have a 1995 Contour, FORD refuses to fix the leaking transmission on this auto, (its just out of the extended warranty).
    Sorry to hear about them not wanting to fix that transmission Golden50. I take it that your Contour is over 5 years old now? When did the leak develop, and how long have you been battling with FMC?

Thanks for the extra info, and thanks also for letting us know of this problem, so that if many of us run into it, it won't blindside us.

Take care, and good luck with your Contour.
  • edswordsedswords Member Posts: 47
    I was reading in a car magazine that there are no plans to continue making the Cougar past 2003. Is the Cougar, and all of Mercury, due to be phased out?
    edswords:

That's what we've also been readin. You should join in the discussions at the Cougar Support Group:

http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/engaged/edmund.cgi?&f=0&c=Clubs&t=8&q=*
    I would add that most american companies work on 5 year planning schedules.
    look at most current car models, they forcast 5years, whens the last time you
    heard of FMC plans on the 2015 Explorer?

Ok well my 2 centavos
  • benisembenisem Member Posts: 30
    I have found a wonderful place to share the love of my new cat. I just bought my Cougar 3 days ago. Obviously, I am in love. Anyhow, I have a problem. My check engine light lit up the very first day I brought it home. Has this happened to anyone else? I am waiting patiently to see if the light goes out but it has yet to happen. I did tighten my gas cap, which was loose, so I am hoping. I realize I can bring it back to the dealer I was just wondering if I should wait it out a few more engine cycles to determine if it was just a loose gas cap.
    benisem:

Congratulations on your new Cat. Don't be bashful though. Bring her right back to the dealership and have them resolve your engine light concerns.

Don't forget that most Cougar discussions take place here:

http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/engaged/edmund.cgi?&f=0&c=Clubs&t=8&q=*
  • chitchcockchitchcock Member Posts: 1
    Hi all, I bought my Cougar last Aug, a dark green loaded V6, I love it!! I recently had to take it back to the dealership and just wanted to give everyone a heads up....I was experiencing the following...most everytime I would let off the accelerater the rpms would go extremely high, even when I was braking this would happen...this was a noted problem on some Cougars, as I found on the recalls and defects web site....but the problem they listed was different then what the dealership was saying....to say the least if anyone is having the same problem please take your car in....mine started about 7 months after I bought it...just something to watch for...also the cupholder in the front...watch it if you have a large cup and are turning left...I have had several glasses spill into my lap...the cougar is a great car none the less.....must get a 5 speed though...only way to drive one!!
    Chitchcock:

Glad you're loving your Cat! I take it they fixed the revving problem?

Thanks for sharing. Also, we've been talking about the cupholder design in the Cougar Support Group (located here in Edmunds.com Town Hall in the Clubs conference http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/engaged/edmund.cgi?&f=0&c=Clubs&t=8&q=*) enough for them to recognize the poor design and do something about it for the late 2K models and I believe they've redesigned it for the 2001's too.

Join us over in the CSG, we'll keep an eye out for you.
  • dcooksondcookson Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1999 cougar and have major problems from the beginning.
    1.) the trunk latch would not work. I took them a year to finally figure it out.
    2.) The door seals leaked.
    3.) I have had new brakes and it needs rotors, but you can't get them until September.
    4.) Tie rod went.
    5.) needs new struts.

What else????
    All I can say is this car has been a pain. I loved my 1992 cougar, but I think I will go back to GM products!
  • kobrick15kobrick15 Member Posts: 1
    Sup..... im 15, so my budjet is kida low, im gettin ready to take Drivers ed, and for the past year ive been settin goals, but is wasent till recently that i came across the Cougar,once i saw it i was inlove, and the 99 model is somewhat in my price range,(suposing i save $150 every 2 weeks for like 8 months) but anyway by the time i get my 50 hours in and get my lisens ill have enough, what i want to know is, is the 99 v6 cougar good for a first car, of course im not goin to get a new, im goin to get a used, but still, what do you tink????,
    New or used, the Cougar is a great car. Are you planning on getting an ATX or an MTX? There is a big difference.
    I think the Cougar is a great car. But, not for a first car. The car is safe and reliable, but I would be very hesitant to let my child(if I had on) drive a car like this(fast, fast looking and great handling). These all adds up to one thing......TROUBLE. I see lots of teenagers in my area and they drive CRAZY. Give them a sports car and it only increases the risk. When I was 16 I was the same way. Thats why I had a 1980 Toyota Corolla(top speed 85mph). Sure, I wanted a sporty car, but I never got one. My Dad always said, "you will have plenty of new cars in your lifetime". He was right!!!!

I am really not trying to lecture, but I just think a bigger and SLOWER car is more practical. If you end up getting a Cougar though, enjoy it.

Also, I would recommend using spellcheck on your next post. ;-)
    Hey if I was 16 and could get a Cougar, I would go for it!!! I might not be alive today to talk about it, but I sure would have had a ton of fun!!

Peace Out!
    I totally agree!!! and think of all the girls I could of gotten......only kidding ;-)
    Chicks galore!!!

LOL!

>8-)
This discussion has been closed.