Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Accent Hatchbacks

Comments

• lngtonge18lngtonge18 Member Posts: 2,228
    My former trusty 00 Accent had its first problem since I sold it to my friend 2 years ago. I drove it recently and noticed a real bad misfire/stumble/loss of power. The car bucked wildly and nearly stopped while trying to get through a busy intersection quickly. It was a bit scary and dangerous. I thought it was the clutch slipping. My friend took it to the dealer. Diagnosis: 2 spark plug wires were bad. The car now has 44k on it. All the plug wires were replaced under warranty. From what I hear, the car runs great again. Only one warranty repair in 2 years. Not too shabby!
  • baber1baber1 Member Posts: 49
    Most of the time the check engine light would be the false gas cap problem on my 99 Accent. I would get it after I filled the tank. I could reset it by pulling the fuse for the ECM computer for a few seconds and putting it back. Then at about 112,000 miles the check engine light started to flash before it atayed on steady and the engine ran a little rough. This turned out to be the O2 sensor. Rule of thumb if the check engine light comes on solid and the engine is running fine it is probably the gas cap thing and not a big deal. If the light flashes or the engine runs badly it is a real problem.One of the Auto stores in my area (Autozone?) will even check your computer code for free. They will tell you what the code means and sell you the parts to fix it if you want to do the work yourself.
  • juliansjulians Member Posts: 42
    Got a new sensor in the auto trans on the 2002 Accent. The problem was strange acceleration while driving. Had to bring it in two times in one day because the check engine light came on right after leaving the first time...turns out the sensor cover was not screwed on properly and the sensor came out partway...it would not shift into high gear. So, after a long day of service shopping, the car seems to drive much better. The shifting is lively and the car wants to run. It still is rough at start-up...almost seems like it will stall, but then does ok. I will let you know if it keeps going good.
  • kagedudekagedude Member Posts: 407
    I was supposed to bring my 2002 Accent GL in for the intermittent 2K rpm idle problem I've been having last Thursday. Two days before that I decided to tinker with the issue to see what might be causing it. I started using super unleaded gas and not sure how but the problem ceased for 2 days. It started to come back but not as bad. I then sprayed with wd40, the throttle links/spring and this seemed to work even better. I drove the car the whole day yesterday with no high idle issues. Lets hope it holds out. I also decided that I will be tuning up the car as well. Anyone know where the PCV valve and fuel filter are located at? With other car's I've had, the fuel filter usually sticks out. Thanks.
    I dropped the car this afternoon at the dealership because the engine started revving up to 3500 rpm on idle. The dealer called me 5 hours later to tell me that the computer diagnostics returned a bad TP Sensor circuit. They've replaced it and I get to pick it up tomorrow. I'm relieved. BTW, Hyundai's website is pretty cool since they have a troubleshooting page. The TP Sensor circuit was step number 5 on the high idle problem issue. I printed this out and showed the tech on what to check for... just in case they try to pull my leg with bs diagnosis.
  • vinnygvinnyg Member Posts: 77
    I have a similar good luck story with my 99 Accent. Bought it new in Feb 99 and it runs excellent. The only major problem was the auto tranny went at 83,000 miles and was replaced under the powertrain warranty, no questions asked. The only other problem was a pinhole leak in the A/C condenser which was also under warranty. I currently have 135,000 miles on it and average 33 mpg during my 150 mile a day commute. I do all the maintenance myself, except for the timing belt. I use Amsoil synthetic oil which I change every 25,000 miles (yes, thats 25,000)and a filter change every 12,500. The car does not burn a drop of oil and I never have to warm it up, even in the cold Northeast winters. I run Bosch Platinum plugs, which I changed after 85,000 miles on them. The only other things replaced were routine wear and tear items like front brakes (still using original rear set)3 sets of tires, belts, and hoses. So far this is my most reliable vehicle in my 20+ years of driving. Hyundai has definately come a long way.(I previously owned an 86 Excel which was garbage)
    Be kind to the people you meet on the way up, because you're going to meet the same people on the way down.
    did your car have any trouble starting? My car always dies the first try, then starts just ok. Like the choke does not work correctly? The rpm thing seems to be ok since the replacement of the auto trans chip, but the start up thing still persists.

It is great to see the good reports of this car. I had a 1992 Excel, which was great...liked it more than my Honda as far working when it should.
    My car has no issues with starting. When I did get the occasional check engine light, it starts okay but rough. I would just restart the engine and it'd be okay.

This is what Hyundai's troubleshooting guide suggest what to check for in order. This is for a car that has trouble starting when the engine is cold.
    1. ECT Sensor circuit
    2. Fuel Quality
    3. Idle Speed Control Actuator
    4. Intake Air Temp Sensor Circuit
    5. Fuel Pressure Regulator
    6. Fuel Pump
    7. Fuel Lines
    8. Injectors
    9. PCM

I was able to tune up my car btw, the PCV valve was covered with insulation so I couldn't see it at first. Regarding the fuel filter, its under the back seat and is not recommended to be replaced till 105K miles. Cost me $135 for parts online (plugs, wires, pcv, air filter, oil filter, fuel filter and brake pads). I love this car, it is so cheap to maintain. =)
    thanks for the info kagedude.
  • frenchcarfrenchcar Member Posts: 247
    Have any of you Accent owners driven a GT model with the larger wheels and tires and stiffer suspension? Im curious if it makes a big difference. The white faced guages are probably easier to read and add a nice touch..

However, I was disappointed to find out that the rear seat windows dont open on the coupes. Claustrophobic time perhaps?

I would like to hear from GT owners and anyone who has driven both Gt and a sedan for a comparison..
  • radfishradfish Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1998 accent. I like the car, it has 140,000 miles on it. My problem is the temp gauge is acting up. The gauge is showing it's running hot but the car doesn,t appear to be. A new radiator and thermostat made no diff. The gauge will jump hotter when you put the a/c on. Now the low fuel light has come on with 3/4 of a tank of gas! Help!!! Anybody else with this problem? or any thoughts? I am thinking Corolla!! Thanks, Kevin
  • 5port5port Member Posts: 395
    Your temp gauge needs to be verified. Just because the temp gauge is reading high does not always mean its true. A mechanic needs to use an external measuring device that will check the calibration of your gauge.
  • shrewshrew Member Posts: 6
    Hey, I was wondering if anyone could give me a heads up about any recurring issues people have experienced with the Accent, and how they were dealt with by the dealer (under warranty, good service?). I'm 99% sure I'm going to buy one in the near future, so any feedback you guys can give me would be appreciated. If you've had no problems with yours, say so! :)
    I just sold my 2002 Accent GL 5spd with 52K miles. If not for me getting my old 94 Mazda Protege DX back, I would be in a Hyundai dealership right now waiting for the 2005 Accent model. My dealer service experience in NY is great. I only went once during the 2 years I've owned it. The one problem was with the Throttle Position Sensor circuit which was fixed in 2 hours. It turns out this was causing my earlier complaint of occasional check engine light.

I would definitely recommend the Hyundai model line. I see it as an undervalued car. My mom and sister also drive the 2001 and 2004 Elantra and both have not been to the dealer for issues aside from that one instance with the brake recall.

Good luck in your purchase!
    I have had great luck with Hyundai untill late. Our 2002 Accent auto (31,000miles) randomly has the rpms go very high when it should be idling. I have posted some on it prior. My dealer has replaced a trans sensor because of a check engine light, but now that is over and the random acceleration still persists. My dealer has not been able to duplicate the problem and supposidly they fixed the code problems, so I have a car that is not running correctly and a dealer not able to help. I have written Hyundai and filed a complaint with the NHTSA site. I will try a different dealer this week. I hope this gets resolved some day...I don't want to trade it in knowing a kid may end up with it and the random acceleration problem very well could cause an accedent. Besides, the car has an excellent warranty, I would like it to get fixed.

Doing some research, this seems to happen to some people. That is why I am supprised the dealer seems to not know.

I would not let my problem keep you from a Hyundai as I am probably a very small percentage, but you asked, and I am not too excitied about Hyundai Accents any more. I did own a Excel, and it was excellent...go figure.
  • shrewshrew Member Posts: 6
    Hey guys, I just picked up my new 2004 Accent GSi yesterday (standard transmission). So far I'm still giddy with excitement and just happy with having it, as this is my first new car. :D I haven't had a chance to drive it a whole lot yet, but so far everything seems perfect. But if you have any tips or anything, let me know!
  • smalltownsmalltown Member Posts: 75
    I have been keeping track since it started to happen in the last few weeks. It only happens to me at lunch time or going home after work when the car has been sitting in 85+ temperature. Never happens on cool days and rarely in the morning. I have a 2002 hatchback with the 1.6 engine and automatic.
  • ssandalassandala Member Posts: 5
    I have a 98 accent also and its good to here that you have 140k on it. Besides from reg maint, the only other money I put in has been for a cv joint. It beats expensive repair bills.

I had the same problem with the temp gauge. I had the rad. flushed & the therm replaced & no problems. Very weird electrical problems.

Next year I will be getting a new car & hope I have the same good luck with it. I have not heard many good things about the newer hyundai's.
    Ours started out just as yours does (same car and engine). Worse in the afternoon on hot days sitting in traffic. It got worse at times, better at times. I will let you know if anything makes it better. It is going to a second shop tomorrow. I can tell you the transmission relay switch is not the problem. That is what they fixed at the first shop...then the check engine light was reset, and they say we have not problem because they have not been able to duplicate the problem on their own.
    Congrats! New cars are fun.
    Well, the second dealership seemed to know what they were doing. They replaced the Throttle Position Sensor and seems good. A good dealership makes a world of difference. The first one we brought it to was not able to fix the problem in six visits.
    Local Hyundai dealers do not have any more 2004Accent GT models so I will have to wait for a 2005 to test one out. We did drive a GL 4 door but Im curious how much difference the larger wheels and tires and stiffer suspension make in the ride and handling department.. Some of you must own the GT or perhaps have driven both. Let me know....PLEASE....
    The white faced guages are a nice touch too.
  • kittycatkittycat Member Posts: 1
    I have a hyundai accent 2001 gs 3 door hatch back(approx. 78,000 mi.-yes I drive alot) and need help with a loud shrill noise coming from the rear driver side and worse with high speeds.
    The dealer only found rust in the brakes some of which was scraped off but the brakes operate ok.I got the pads and roters changes a few months back. And no ,no accident. I changed a rim because it bent when I was going over a pot hole but it wasn't a rear rim. and the tire is ok. I agree with another writer and don't want to trade in an unsafe car. Should I get the brake drums changed or the wheel bearings or the differential bearings changed (turns seem to make the noise worse)?You're not mechanics but any suggestions will help.
    I would have your rear wheel bearings checked out. Your car doesn't have differential bearings so don't worry about that. When wheel bearings go bad, they tend to make a wha-wha-wha sound and the bad side gets louder when its under stress on a turn, especially the faster you go. I doubt your brakes are at fault for the noise unless it only occurs when braking. Good luck and let us know what solves the problem.
  • mishamisha Member Posts: 1
    Just a note: After getting my new 2004 Accent GL standard, I replaced the air filter with a K&N performance air filter. I'm getting 33-36 mpg. I'll also save more money in the long run, because I won't have to replace my air filter. I'll only have to clean and oil it. By the way, it is EASY to install.
  • player4player4 Member Posts: 362
    Did it give you more power? Can you actually feel it?
    Couldnt find an Accent GT to test drive but did try out a GL sedan with automatic and thought it was decent in many ways and the price and warranty are good. HOWEVER, when checking out the maintenance charts on Edmunds I discovered that they expect you to change the automatic transmission fluid, filter and gasket every 6,000 miles or every other oil change. THAT SOUNDS RIDICULOUS. None of the other Hyundais have that frequency schedule so it must be a problem Tranny and this would get costly so the warranty might be voided if you skipped doing it. ANY OF YOU HAD A PROBLEM WITH THIS OR DOES YOUR OWNERS MANUAL SAY SOMETHING DIFFERENT?? I wonder if they are going to a diffferent transmission? The 5 speed must be the way to go but the traffic here can be brutal.
  • altair4altair4 Member Posts: 1,469
    My mother-in-law has this car and the Edmunds maintenance schedule is incorrect. You don't need to change the ATF and fluid that often. I can't recall what her manual says, though.

Hyundai's website has the maintenance schedule on line. You could check there.

Also, when I first noticed this a long time ago, I sent a message to Edmunds about - never got a response and it never was corrected.
  • SylviaSylvia Member Posts: 1,636
    I'm not sure how you sent your request - but put it through the Help link at the top and it will get routed to the correct person and you should receive a response. We have a new Help system in place that tracks things and unanswered items are a no-no.
    All Hyundai automatics require fluid changes every 30k. Edmunds is incorrect here.
    Sylvia, see message 976 and 977. I seem to recall also sending a message through another avenue on Edmunds, but it was a long time ago. Will you see to it that it gets reported and fixed?
    Honestly - if you (as a consumer/member of the site) input it by clicking on Help it will get tracked and responded to faster than if I do it. Also, you will be emailed with a full response as to how the information was obtained if it is correct/incorrect, etc.
  • smalltownsmalltown Member Posts: 75
    I took my Accent in for the 30,000-mile service yesterday. The AT fluid was changed. Most of my trips are 2-3 miles. So it is severe usage anyway. When my car was brought out into the dropoff/pickup area after servicing, I asked the mechanic if anynthing was done for the high idling speed (2000-3000 RPM). He said there was no computer code of problems. He suspected the throttle position sensor. After he found out I live 90 miles away and can't just drop by when it happens again, he decided to put in a new sensor while I was paying for the scheduled service. He told me to go ahead and leave and he'll worry about the paperwork later. So a good dealer/mechanic is worth more than saving a couple hundred dollars to me anytime when I buy a new car.
    Message sent via the Help tab. Hope it gets resolved.
  • moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870
    New option pkg 4 on 04 Accent with ABS. Good.
  • aquesadaaquesada Member Posts: 24
    My wife owns a 2000 accent auto, yesterday while I was waiting for her on a parking lot left the car on idle with air conditioning on for about 15 minutes then the engine stopped, I could re start it but got off again and again until I wait for about 15 minutes(engine off) and everything went back to normal,

Any ideas of the problem?
  • illusion123aillusion123a Member Posts: 6
    Ok yeasterday i checked my tranny fluid (the first time sine i had the car, its a 2002 with just over 40k on it) It was about 1/2 a quart low, so i added some. I also made and appointment to have the fluid changed. I called back to see how much i can expect to pay (about $100) and i was told by a differnt person that the fluid dosent need to be changed untill 100k? that seems like alot of miles, this is also the same lady who told me that my car didnt need new spark plugs when i had the 30k maintence. (i later had then done somwhere else) So whats going on? Who is right? the manual does say not until 100k but i dont know...
    Hyundai has an excellent website that features a scheduled maintenance table. I'd check there for your answers. Edmunds also has a maintenance schedule listed, but it had errors in it, especially regarding the transmission service.
    Just an FYI - if our site has errors (which does happen, we get our info from the manufacturer and if they update/change something we don't always get that) - be sure and click on the Help link in the upper right of the page and use the "Contact Us" option to report the error. It will get routed to the correct person who will email you back letting you know if it is an error and when it will be corrected (any info you can give them such as the site, etc. is helpful).

They really do want to get it right!
    I did report the error...it listed transmission service every 15,000 miles or so. Haven't gone back to check it, since I printed out the one from Hyundai (I take care of my mother-in-law's Accent).
    And I just reported another error - there is no Edmunds maintenance schedule for the 2001 or 2002 Accent when equipped with an automatic transmission.
    Great! Thanks!
    By all means, do NOT wait to get your tranny fluid changed until 100k. Hyundai will NOT cover any auto tranny failures that occur if the owner has not changed the fluid every 30k. I guarantee you can expect tranny problems if you wait that long to change the fluid. Hyundai automatics are very sensitive to neglect.
  • geepers21geepers21 Member Posts: 1
    I noticed my car started sounding louder so I decided to take it in.

I have a 1996 Hyundai Accent with 33,000 miles and brought it into my dealership. I was told by the Hyundai mechanic that I need to replace the entire exhaust system. The Hyundai mechanic showed me the exhaust system and how it was all rusted.

Upon taking it to a well-known muffler shop for a second opinion, I was told the exhaust system is stainless steel and holds up very well, and that it always looks worse than it is. The muffler shop person recommended that I not replace the entire exhaust system and that I replace only the flex section.

How long does an entire exhaust system last before it needs to be replaced?
    I’m confused as to what I should do. Do I replace the entire exhaust system or just the flex section? If I replace just the flex section am I at risk for having to replace the entire exhaust system later? I need to keep my car for the long term. I would rather spend the money now if I have to so I can save myself any worse problems or headaches later. Thank you for any help that is offered.
  • chrisducatichrisducati Member Posts: 394
    Stainless steel exhausts last much longer than non stainless ones. Because you drive so little a non stainless replacement from a muffler shop will not last long. If you decide to replace the system you should use the Factory parts. If you go with just the flex pipe an aftermarket one will last a while. My mother has a 1991, she drives about 2000 miles a year. She replaced her exhaust at a national shop, each year like clock work she has to take it back and get a new exhaust because it has rusted thru. Our old Suzuki , a 1996, has over 250000 miles and still has the original stainless system. surface rust is not a problem. If your dealer can take some pliers to the tubes and it collapses then you need a new system.
  • vinnygvinnyg Member Posts: 77
    I had the same thing happen to my '99 Accent this year and the local Midas shop just cut the braided flex connector out and welded in a new one for about $70.00. He said the dealer would have charged me to replace the entire system from the flex pipe back since it comes as one unit and they won't cut it, probably $400.00-$500.00. The rest of the system was fine. Not too bad considering I have 144,000 miles on it now and live in the salty road covered Northeast. It has sounded fine ever since. I would just change the pipe if the shop says the rest of the exhaust system is fine; that is what they specialize in. Good luck.
    Be kind to the people you meet on the way up, because you're going to meet the same people on the way down.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,145
    A newspaper reporter is looking for vehicle shoppers and recent buyers age 20-29 who live in either the Atlanta or Raleigh-Durham area. If you're willing to talk about your vehicle preferences and shopping experience, please send an e-mail to jfallon@edmunds.com with your age, location, and contact info by December 13, 2004. Thanks!

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• sng2sng2 Member Posts: 2
    I recently purchased a used 2002 Accent GL 1.6l with 24,000 miles on it. It has a heavy valve tap sound at idle cold or hot which increases with revs. I took it to the dealer who kept it overnight. Although I was pleased that they didn't charge me anything, the service department said that the noise was normal, not a problem and would not harm the engine. I've read about some Hyundai service centers refusing to do warranty work. Anyone have any ideas on this situation?
  • sng2sng2 Member Posts: 2
    I just purchased a 2002 Hyundai Accent GL with the 1.6 l engine from a local small-time dealer. Although the car appeared to be in excellent shape, a test drive allowed me to detect that it needed front brakes, had some body work done, the seats were heavily stained and there was a bad valve tap noise (which I'm waiting for advice from this forum). However, with 24,000 miles and a negotiated price of $3700.00, (in Virginia), I couldn't pass it up.

The Accent got great reviews from many sources and was said to be Hyundai's fight to grab a share of the market. I am greatly impressed with it. The car handles great, has not too much interior noise, looks good, and is exceptionally quick with the upgraded 1.6 engine. Mine has also gotten 34 mpg in the first three fill-ups.

My advice is to spend the $25.00 and get the Carfax report on your vehicle (http://www.carfax.com). It will give you the information you need to make an informed decision that can be used in the negotiation process.
  • aldagaldag Member Posts: 81
    Are you sure you are hearing a valve tap noise? The PCV valve in the Accent makes a significant metallic noise which varies with speed. It is possible you are hearing the PCV valve.