Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

VW Golf TDI

jchbsjchbs Member Posts: 2
edited March 2014 in Volkswagen
i'm thinking of buying a New Golf TDI. has anyone
had experience with this engine that they would
care to share with me? and, i am unclear as to
whether the turbo diesel will be harder on the
environment than the gasoline engine. i understand
the tradeoff with mpg, but is that enough?

Comments

• ddaleyddaley Member Posts: 7
    I've wondered myself. I've not read anything that strongly points one way or another. I'd think if you do mostly highway driving the TDI would be a good choice. The MPG difference is quite significant and the newer diesels pollute much less than older ones. The one to get (but of course the USA isn't going to) is the VW Lupo which offers a Diesel that gets 95-MPG !!! Not a typo. At 60 MPH/95 MPG you could go 15+ hours on 10 gal. of diesel!!! But with every US company competing to make a bigger SUV we must be in the minority to even give a darn about such things. I'm only 32 but even I remember waiting in line for gas during the 70's 'Oil Crisis' It will happen again I'm sure, just a matter of time. Do a search on "auto pollution" and you may find some more info. to help you. I've posted the question to a couple enviro. related mesage boards & I'll post here any response I get.
  • jofmjofm Member Posts: 1
    I don't have the link but you shouldn't have trouble finding it. I don't have a TDI but did go out for two test drives. Wow! Now I understand why TDI owners are so enthusiastic. This must be the most underrated engine in the country. Anyone who says the Golf/Jetta/NB TDI's are slow have not driven one. Now I understand why torque is more important than HP as far as making a car feel peppy. If you don't like having to take your engine to over 4000 rpm to get the best acceleration, then the TDI is for you.
  • janocica1janocica1 Member Posts: 3
    I have my 99 Golf GLS tdi since May.This car performs better than all the other small cars
    I had before,and I don't have any problem during city or highway drivings.The turbo engine transforms this car to a pocket rocket and day to
    day driving is a real pleasure.I get between 50 to
    60 miles per gallon and I save 40 dollars/month
    comparing to my old Honda Civics.If anybody has any specific question about this car,please
    ask me and I will try to answer.
  • taliesintaliesin Member Posts: 3
    The URL of Fred's TDI forums (also with links to useful FAQs) is:
    http://www.ufies.org/~fred/forums.html

Many hours of interesting info about VW's secret weapon await...
  • rollerfunkrollerfunk Member Posts: 15
    Yes, the Golf Tdi is an excellent option, it has the same performance than the gas engine/115hp (it feels stronger tough), but the gas mileage and the long term reliability is just WAY better. It's a pitty that we can't enjoy here in the US the 115HP Tdi versions.
    The numbers for this race-diesel? jejeje!:
    0 to 60 in 8,9 secs.
    1/4 mile in 16,5 secs.
    Top speed of 128 mph
    50-55 miles per gallon...!
  • kakarottkakarott Member Posts: 1
    I have had mine since Feb. 24th . I love it. It is my 9th VW / Audi, but my first diesel. Marvelous engine, incredible mileage. I am also certain it will last longer than a similar gas engine. And as for performance, well with a chip the horsepower goes to 110-115 and the torque to 182-196 (depending on manuf.). Truly an amazing little car. The most fun has to be the fill-ups:

"He man, you know that pump is diesel?"
    "yes... I know it is."
    (puzzeled look)

Never fails...gets a good laugh out of the truckers on the other side of the pump.
  • dave163dave163 Member Posts: 1
    My diesel Rabbit will be turning 18 in February. I bought it brand new. It's got over 267,000 miles on it and it still gets 42-45 mpg. When my Y2K Golf GL/TDI arrives in the next week or two I expect it will be the last car I ever own! Thanks for all the glowing reports, everyone! I KNOW I made the right decision in buying this car.
    BTW, this diesel puts out less carbon dioxide than a comparable gas engine. See "Fred's TDI Page".
  • joy13joy13 Member Posts: 4
    Hello. I am considering buying a 2000 Golf TDI for my husband. He loves the car and the mpg, but we're wondering about acceleration with the lower hp. Is it "peppy"? My husband likes to drive his current 5-speed Ford Festiva like a racecar out of stoplights, etc, which is why I ask. Also, he wants to use the car to haul a small trailer for lumber, etc. Anyone had experience trying to pull anything with this car? Thanks.
  • icabod1icabod1 Member Posts: 6
    Joy, I don't own a diesel VW, but have test-driven one and I owned an '88 Ford Festiva, so I should be able to help. Most people are probably laughing at the part about your husband driving his Festiva like a race car, but I have to agree that they are fairly peppy cars that handle like go-carts. He will love the big 4-wheel disc brakes and taut suspension of a Golf, which handles great, and will like the power increase, too. The biggest improvement in going from Festiva to Golf, though, will be in interior noise. Festivas are tin boxes that resonate with every harmonic of the engine and road, while the Golf, especially a diesel one, is very quiet on the freeway. They are a bit noisier at idle, but quieter than the standard gas engine most of the time.

Other comments to above questions: VW claims a 20% reduction in CO2 with a diesel, which passes TLEV (Transitional Low Emissions Vehicle) status as defined by CARB (California Air Research Board.) I think this basically applies while the car is being driven consistently, because the exhaust is still a bit stinky at idle, and you can get a blue puff out the tailpipe when accelerating hard.
    And careful when posting mileage numbers. One of the above posts shows a mileage of 50-55mpg for the 115hp diesel, but this is in miles per English gallon, which is larger than a U.S. gallon. (The Brits haven't completely switched to the metric system...) The 90hp 1.9L engine posts 42/49mpg here in the States, but posts more like 60 in the U.K. That 115hp version probably gets more like 38-40mpg over here.
  • lckclckc Member Posts: 2
    I just got back from test driving the 2000 Golf GL TDI! I was trying to decide between the Honda Civic and the Golf. What an encredible difference! Peppy? Definitely! I think it corners great as well as delivering an awesome ride all around. Icabod1, if you are still there, I have some questions which I believe you might have the answers to. I asked the dealer if he had heard the oil horror stories (about the Jettas? primarily) and if they were relative to the Golfs. He hasn't heard of any problems, have you? Also, he said because of the shipping overseas the car was wrapped in plastic and a type of sealer was spayed on the bottom so the car would be air-tight. He believes this is what trips the O2 warning when it starts to burn off. Does that sound factual? Also, have you heard of any problems with this series so far? Yet one more question, MSRP on the basic GL TDI here is 16,195., would 15,000. be a reasonable offer? These questions are, of coarse, for everyone...so feel free - any additional knowledge will be much appreciated!
  • eckerstorfereckerstorfer Member Posts: 2
    How does the TDI start in cold weather?
  • robbk6robbk6 Member Posts: 13
    with a key, unless your in a big city...

little humor?!?
  • alextalext Member Posts: 63
    slfjiasofnjkbkjgv
    fnkaSDJbvckjbasd
    ancvaBjkhabvhkbvhks
    nsvhbadkvbsuvsuivbsd
    adljvnbakjvnbdajkvn
    snmdvjnvojsdnbvljksdv
    msvnsdjklvnjklv
    nsvjnosvhnbs

yes, I think so.

: )
  • michaeloneilmichaeloneil Member Posts: 1
    Peppy, great gas mileage, and stylish. On the highway, it drives as nicely as my dad's $60k Mercedes. Who would want anyhting else?
  • dupperdupper Member Posts: 6
    Just got an e-mail from a VW dealer offering a "special" price on a '00 Golf GLS TDI w/lux pkge in the coler I want (silver.

Price is $18,700 + tax/fees???

Any thought from you Golf afficianados out there about this deal? Appreciate the input
  • dupperdupper Member Posts: 6
    Sorry the above post is price infor for a GLS NOT a GL.

Thanks
  • firstlight1firstlight1 Member Posts: 1
    Good question on starting the Golf TDI in cold weather does anyone have a serious answer?
  • merpmerp Member Posts: 1
    A diesel actually has lower noxious emissions than a gasoline engine altough it has higher particulate levels. So I all boils down to pick your poison. I'll take the higher mpg's anyday.
  • eckerstorfereckerstorfer Member Posts: 2
    Several testimonials regarding the cold weather starting of the tdi motors. From what was posted on Fred's tdi page my next car will have a tdi motor. Next question? When is VW coming out with their all wheel drive vehicle?
  • narveynarvey Member Posts: 3
    Just received our new silver tdi gls ten days ago and have nothing but praise so far.
    My husband is over 250 lbs and 5'11 and fits comfortably as both driver or passenger. He is used to driving a bmw 325 which he has suddenly abandoned!! I have my own specific needs because I have one arm and am only 5'1. Quite the couple u may be thinking,however, this car does it all. The three things I especially appreciate are the pump seat adjustments that handle with ease, the extraordinary handling and great visibility. I never get fatigued driving long distances. Fuel economy has been great. Our only concern is cold weather starting as we live in Montreal,Canada with lows of -30f. We paid the equivalent of $16,200 US for an automatic with the cold weather package.
  • dakanflebutdakanflebut Member Posts: 1
    How well does the VW Golf drive in the snow? I'm cautious about its size and how well it drives in bad weather?
  • odysseusodysseus Member Posts: 10
    Hey, i'm also from montreal. I was thinking of getting the new golf gl tdi but the diesel model brings up the price of an already expensive car. How much do you pay for diesel per month? I'd like to get a diesel because our 72cents/liter gas rates are crazy. Just wondering when the extra cost for the diesel engine will pay for itself.
    By the way, having only one arm, don't you find driving extremely difficult? As I recall the golf tdi was standard transmission only. Must be hard to drive, especially if your right arm is the one thats not there.
  • narveynarvey Member Posts: 3
    We have only driven 2000 kms. but I think fuel consumption is about 5.5 litres/100 kms. I guess this means total fuel costs are about half of that of a gas engine. Our car is automatic,and feels peppy. This tranny has only been available since 99. The car was $24,000 so it seems expensive but we feel it outperforms any thing else in this price range. By the way (as a lefty only) it is tough to drive a stick but trust me it can be done. Please do not share this info with my insurance broker!!
  • jchbsjchbs Member Posts: 2
    can i stir up a little sentiment on whether two or four doors (actually three or five) is better? i'm leaning toward the two-door model, for value and because i like the way it looks.
  • oldgloryoldglory Member Posts: 1
    I was helping my brother out by picking up some information on the Beetle while he was out of town. I was talking to the sales person about gas mileage and he told me about the TDI engine ane let me drive a 2000 Golf TDI GLS. I loved it and it was very peppy. The only thing im worried about is the long term reliability, i had a 90 passat and was very dissapointed in the car it was horrible. Ive had a honda since and love its reliability although a very boring car to drive. Should i take the persieved risk of owning another VW? Im nervous about spending 19K on the Golf TDI but its soooo cooool. Any comments welcome. Jeff, Dallas, Texas
  • rgoetzrgoetz Member Posts: 13
    Go with the 2-door, and use the money you'll save to chip it and to plus size the tires & wheels.
  • mznmzn Member Posts: 727
    Go with the 4-door and you'll save money on doctor's bills! ;-) All that reaching in to pick up groceries, etc? Very bad for backs!

carlady/host
  • jfink1jfink1 Member Posts: 1
    I'm from Minnesota and I'm presently looking to come back into the car market for a new car. I owned a 1983 Rabbit Diesel and loved it. I put over 265,000 miles on the car. I got rid of the car to a friend who drove the car for another 83,00 miles.

I presently have 150,000 miles on my little 1991 Corolla LE, from Toyota. I'm considering going back to the Volkswagen Golf TDI because I like the car and it seems to be a little peppier than the old Rabbit on the test drive. I'm breaking one of my old rules in not going over 200,000 miles on a car before considering buying a new one.

My usual practice is to by a car for the long run. They're quoting me a price of 16720 dollars American for a 2000 Golf TDI. Does this seem resonable to you folks? Does anyone have problems with the new injection system versus the old standard glow plugs when I was last in the market. Finally does anyone have an opinion of longevity of this engine and the car body itself.

Any help in this area would be appreciated. I'm considering picking up the car next week. One last thought does anyone know if 6.9 for interest on a loan is considered standard int he market today.
  • autotesterautotester Member Posts: 2
    You can put groceries in the hatch - its huge. The 4-door probably provides more protection for front passengers in a side crash. Looking for objects to the side is not as obstructed in the 2-door because the B-pillar is further back (longer doors). I have driven a 2-door car for the last 15 years and I have trouble adjusting to the 4-door B-pillar. Also, 2-doors are easier on entry/exit. If you seldom carry more than one passenger, a 2-door would save you money.
  • shleongshleong Member Posts: 1
    Anyone with experience with cold weather start-up in a TDI? Seriously considering purchase of one, but am a bit concerned if this could be a problem.
  • joy13joy13 Member Posts: 4
    Can anyone tell me what's going on in California? Why has VW stopped selling TDI Golfs and Beetles in CA, but not Jettas? I am about to buy a Golf TDI (in WI, not CA), but I'm buying it for the mpg (environmental friendliness). Does this car have emissions problems? Why else would CA do this? I don't want to get a car with great gas mileage only to find out it's a polluter. Does anyone have details on this situation (preferably technical details on what the problem is)? My dealer here in WI didn't even know about the situation.

Also, my dealer tells me VW is in the process of switching Golf production from Wolfsburg to South America. Does anyone know if this will be good/bad/indifferent? Does anyone have experience with quality issues from the different plant locations? Thanks.
  • icabod1icabod1 Member Posts: 6
    There's no difference between the Beetle, Golf, and Jetta in terms of diesel emissions. It's probably just a supply/demand thing. The VW TDI is CARB certified as a TLEV - a Transitional Low Emissions Vehicle - which means that it's better than any other diesel and also better than a lot of gas cars, too. This engine has been called the most thermally efficient mass-produced engine ever, so even if it puts out more particulate emissions, it's still a very environmental engine overall.

I didn't know that Golf production was being shifted back to Mexico. Back in the late '80s to early '90s, there were quality problems with Mexican Golfs and Jettas. Quality improved enough that Consumer Reports recommended them back in '97 or so. The German Golfs are likely to be put together better, but I wouldn't recommend against a Mexican Golf. The TDI engines are made in Wolfsburg, Germany and shipped to the Puebla, Mexico assembly plant, so the heart of the car is still German.
  • moesy1moesy1 Member Posts: 3
    PLS LET ME KNOW ON TDI COLD WEATHER STARTING--KNOW ONE HAS ANSWERED THE QUESTION--ALSO, HOW ABOUT RESALE ANY FEEDBACK YET

THANKS
  • robbk6robbk6 Member Posts: 13
    Look under topic #146. It is specifically for the VW TDI. Posts #86, #88, #90, #91 deal with cold weather specifically. Basically they say it should be no problem. Also many people swear by the 'Fred's TDI Page'. Just type it in on most browsers. Hope that helps
  • mznmzn Member Posts: 727
    Thank you, robbk6, for pointing the way. I appreciate your community spirit and your willingness to help!

carlady/host
  • aadinbergsaadinbergs Member Posts: 5
    I haven't been in this forum in a long time, so no chance to answer until now. I have had a 1982 diesel Rabbit since new, and I never had any difficulty in cold starts. I live in Maryland. I just bought a 2000 Golf GLS-TDI last month, and it is truly an amazing car. Of course, it has not lived through winter yet, but I simply don't foresee any cold weather problems, based on my experience with the Rabbit.
    On the other topic, about shifting Golf production to South America, I suppose this is likely, however, South America is not Mexico. I read recently of VW investing lots of money in their plant in Brazil in order to build new Golfs. When production shifts away from Germany, this is where I would expect Golfs to come from. I think this is at least a year or 2 away, although nobody really knows. A3 Golfs (1993 to early 1999) were built in Mexico, but Golf production was shifted to Germany in late 1999 in order to free up Mexican production capacity for more Jettas.
  • steve186steve186 Member Posts: 5
    Does anybody have a TDI in New York (NYC/Long
    Island) that could share their experiences with me?
    I am looking for my first car and the TDI sounds
    great!
    Also, do VW's, in general, have room for a 6'3"
    driver?
  • vwman1vwman1 Member Posts: 1
    I have an '88 VW Scirocco 16v, a low headroom sports coupe, I'm 6'3 also and have never worried about knocking myself out because of the roof.
    Does anyone know what this will implicate about the current model? Will there be any problems with it?
    I want one!!! Waaaah!!
    New York is following CA's lead apparently... No new TDI's are being brought in according to a few dealers.
    Any thoughts?
  • rgoetzrgoetz Member Posts: 13
    Go to Fred's TDI Page forums for discussions of this issue. http://tdi.abahn.bc.ca/
  • edmundsreadedmundsread Member Posts: 2
    Looking at either the GL gas or TDI for mainly city driving. Since I work and live downtown does it make sense? Basically how does the TDI handle rush hour grid lock ;-)

Dave
  • carlkauffmancarlkauffman Member Posts: 2
    I've got a 97 2.0l Golf but am wondering about the new TDI's. I Don't know anything about diesels except they get good gas mileage. Can anyone say why their engines are supposed to last longer? Does having one mean extra maintenance?
  • rmezicrmezic Member Posts: 1
    For the record, I live in the NYC area and own a '97 Passat TDI. Highway mileage is 45 mpg (in the summer, averaging 75, with the AC on). I'm convinced I can hit 50 mpg if I'd "tone it down a bit" and drive a "sensible" 55 mph.

Keep in mind the car is FULL SIZE (and built in the father-land). When shopping for a car, I lloked at optioning-out a Jetta the way a Passat comes standard (pw, pl, cruise, premium sound, etc) and the difference was only $1,200.

Not to mention NO MAINTENANCE. I don't want to get into the physics of it, but a diesel engine never stalls and never needs a tune up (and 45 mpg...)

BTW, it's torque that gets moves you off the red light and not Horsepower. The TDI only makes 90 HP, but drives like a gas car.

To the previous post (#25, etc) - although the 2 door is "cooler", check with your insurance company re: 2-door vs. 4-door...

Bottom line - Shhh!!!, don't say anything, sneak into the VW dealer, and buy one.

As far as resale value is concerned, there are none on the market. People buying a TDI are LOOKING for a TDI - and keeping them long term. Numerous postings above mention 200,000+ miles.

Although I'm ready to trade-up when they come out with a TDI synchro/4motion wagon... The V6 TDI that Audi uses in Europe wouldn't be bad either...

I haven't heard anything about not shipping cars to CA or NY. Heck, buy one in NJ and drive it into NY yourself...

Cold weather starting, not a problem. I've been up in Canadian winters and the car started the first time. For those of you with previous diesel experience, the glow plugs start to warm up when you open the driver's door. By the time you sit down and put the key in, you're ready to rock-n-roll.

Any questions, email me directly at "mezi97@yahoo.com"

-RJM-
  • ertzogertzog Member Posts: 9
    Has anybody seen reliability data for the 1.9L TDI (in model: Bug, Golf, Jetta)?

Has it been around long enough to have data reported by Consumer Reports?

I got quoted $16600 for 2dr Golf GL TDI. Seems they are pitching this story that they are very very rare and will soon stop production for awhile until Brazil is fully tooled to start making them again.

Comments?
  • rcush1rcush1 Member Posts: 7
    WEll...have decided against civic, protege, corolla etc...and want to get a REAL car. I want the Golf TDI and am wondering how sluggish it really is on takeoff. I've seen the 0-60 times...but sometimes that doesn't really tell the whole story. I would love to hear from a current owner if the Golf TDI is fun to drive or is it merely a fuel sipper? thanks
  • schradesschrades Member Posts: 2
    I'm looking to buy the GOLF GL TDI, but there wasn't one on the lot, so I test-drove a Jetta TDI. It was an automatic and I wasn't too impressed with the "umph" so I will go with my original desire for the 5-speed. I purchased a 2000 Jetta VR6 5-speed back in August, so driving the TDI was a LOT different. If you are used to an automatic 4-cylinder, a spin in a TDI automatic might be a pretty comparable experience.
  • jefsterjefster Member Posts: 8
    Most of the comments here seem to come from owners of TDIs with manual transmissions.

I'm thinking of buying a TDI w/ automatic transmission. Anyone have firsthand knowledge on how reliable/problem-prone these are? How about longevity, or mileage thresholds where problems develop?
  • jtaimjtaim Member Posts: 34
    Remember that the auto tranny is covered under the 100K/10yr warranty, so VW isn't not going to make a cheap one. Also, the tranny is permanently sealed - no mainenance needed, IIRC.

I drove a TDI with auto and it was surprisingly peppy. The TDI has ample torque, and the torque-robbing torque-converter in the tranny couldn't rob enough to make the car feel sluggish. Sure, a manual will feel faster, but I was not dissapointed with the auto tranny at all.
  • filipkeslerfilipkesler Member Posts: 1
    I am moving to SF from NY and am considering buying a TDI.

Several dealers I contacted told me that VW no longer sells diesels in CA (although they did sell Diesel Bugs last year!). Aparently, the fees that CA impose on diesel cars (even TDI) make up for the savings on the mileage.

Any experiences/advice on the topic?

I could buy a car in NY and ship it to CA? Is this an insane idea?

Thanks.
This discussion has been closed.