Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

VW GTI (All styles)

Comments

• adg44adg44 Member Posts: 385
    I didn't look at the picture, but the 17" wheels are the bravo's I'm pretty sure. They are 5 spokes, right? The 17" wheel package is a $400 option for the GTI.

Why do you want VW wheels? They are overpriced like crazy. I'm running on 18x8.5" IWC Quicksilvers and it looks awesome. Check out some pictures here: http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=1565856&a=11911242&f=0

- Anthony

• jettalover2jettalover2 Member Posts: 9
    Thanks, I loved the pics, did you sell the spoked wheels that came on it? If you didn't, I would love to have them!!!! Is it $400 for each wheel, or just $400 for all 4 wheels?
    I still have the stock (spoked) wheels with brand new tires on them. I don't know if I want to sell them or not. They have under 12K miles on them and brand new 205/55/16 Eagle HPs. Hell, if the price is right, anything is for sale.

- Anthony
    Those are the wheels I really really wanted. How much would you be willing to sell them for? The tires have 12,000 miles on them? Give me a price and let's deal!-Dustin
    adg44@earthlink.net

The tires are brand new, I just got them mounted. I burned out the stock tires in 9,000 miles :) The VR6 is great for burnouts.

- Anthony
  • jtedescojtedesco Member Posts: 2
    Can someone clarify that the GTI 1.8T puts pot 150 hp while the 1.8T in the Passat and A4 hit 170 (new this year, formerly 150). Any explanation why VW is doing this? Is it a simple fix to bring up the extra 20 hp? And will that void the warranty, or is the dealer permitted to do that

Thanks-I am considering a GTI 1.8, Civic EX (boring, but at least $2K less), and an Outback Sport. This hp issue has been gnawing at me.
    i can't explain the difference, yet the 1.8t flies, it is so much more fun than any subaru or any honda!!!! have you seen the dashboard at night? go for the gti, my mom has a loaded jetta, and i have a loaded red gti, and neither one of us have ever had any problems. my mothers best friend has a loaded black passat, and has never ever had any problems, we all love them!!!
    The 1.8T in the GTI/Jetta is Transversely mounted compared to the Passat (B5 platform) or the Audi A4. For 2002, the 1.8T will be putting out 170/180 HP. All that VW did was up the boost the turbo is putting out.

- Anthony
    Hey,
    I was wandering how much the 17" wheels that come on the GTI GLX's cost. I love them. On the sticker it cost 400 dollars extra, is that what i will have to pay for them if I order them?
    -dustin
    If you order them, they are about 350 a piece plus tires. Get some aftermarket wheels before you buy VW wheels.

- Anthony
  • jmpickettjmpickett Member Posts: 1
    I've had my GTI for over a year now and have gotten to know it very well. I've only put about 11 K on it so far. I love it far too much to drive it to work (Washington DC). I take the metro to work and drive my baby only around the neighborhood and on road trips.

Here's what I love about it:

1. VR6! Huge amount of torque down low, love the big V6 roar, and (the best part for me) simply an awesome highway cruiser. I can blast by cars in 5th gear easily, cars that cost twice as much. It only turns about 3,600 RPMs at 100 mph, and the engine isn't anywhere near strained. I once had it up to 120 mph or so and it still wasn't straining.
    (note: In April, I added a Autothority EPROM chip for about $300. It gives you about 10 hp and 12 lbs. of torque. The VR6 really screams now, but remember to use premium unleaded only)

2. Styling. I really like the conservative German exterior. It looks almost like a Golf, to the Honda next to you. Then you leave his cheesy looking ride in the dust when the light turns green.

3. Interior. Like a BMW. Love the blue/red gauges at night. Wood trim is very nice.

4. Price. You get a hell of a lot of car for $23K.

Here's what I would like to see improved, which I think will be addressed with the 2002 redesigned GTI:

1. Not a complaint really. I love the VR6, but I fantasize about the revamped VR6 w/24 valves and dual overhead cams. It's about time! Put a chip in that baby and you'll have almost 220 hp and same amount of torque!

2. Gear shift. What the hell is up with this transmission? Balky, won't shift into first and second properly, etc. I seriously hope the new shifter is a lot smoother. I don't want Honda buttery smooth necessarily, but it'd be nice if I don't have to fight to shift into first when the light turns green!

3. Suspension. My biggest gripe after the tranny. I read it's the same suspension as the Golf, and I can tell. Too much body lean in the corners. Needs serious tightening.

4. Watch out for the window regulator problem. I already had one go bad. I was told this was fixed in 2001 and subsequent models.

5. A little heavy. I think GTI has gotten overlarded with goodies over the years. I could do without the sunroof and lose 100 lbs or so. Next year, many now-standard features will be options, so you can drop some weight from your new GTI if you wish.

Overall, a fantistic ride. If I were in the market for one, though, I would wait until next year and get the remodeled GTI.
    You pretty much hit it head on. If your shifter is giving you so much trouble, you should take it in for a shifter linkage adjustment - sometime they are out of spec from the factory.

I have an AutoThority chip too, and it helped the most of any mod. I like 15 minutes away from them, so it was convenient too.

As for the window regulator, it hasn't been fixed for 2001 models. I think mine might be going bad on my passenger side window. uh oh.

This morning "STOP!" appeared on the computer and it told me to shut off the engine and check the coolant level. Yup, my coolant was dry. I hope it's not a major problem, I'll get it checked out on thursday when I go in for service.

- Anthony
  • zerofighterzerofighter Member Posts: 1
    Hey does any of you guys live in Canada, or in Edmonton, Alberta in specific? Because i have a 01' GTi 1.8T and all they sell here is the Wetterauer chip, which makes me really mad because i know there are better ones out there... Do u guys know how the Wetterauer chip perform compared to chips like GIACs, Neuspeed, APR, AutoThority and things like that?
    Do any of you guys have a problem with the stock diverter (after installing a chip)? Because i have heard people saying how it leaks and stuff after u increase the boost, so i'm thinking about getting one.. do any of you guys know how much it is (in Cdn)?

Thanks alot guys
  • suremansureman Member Posts: 2
    I read an article that was in Compact Sport Car, I think. It trated the GTI 18T at about 142 pionnies at the wheels. From their indication the car must have been putting out about 170 horsepower at the crankshaft just like the Audi and the passat. They also stated that they must have under rated the HP in order to sell more VR6's. I have been doing just about as mush reading on these two cars as I can to try to decide which one I want to buy, HUMMMM? Anyway, there are lots of aftermarket parts out there and computer chips that can be installed into the 1.8T to bust the HP. Also, the same magazine compared the Honda SI and the 1.8T, it was a close call. I'll get the exact magazine name and month onto the net when I get home and do a little research. One thing is for certain, there will be VW in my furture before a Honda!! By the way, in Germany they offer the VR6 with the Passat engine, six speed tranny and the 4 motion all wheel drive system. I am in germany now and have tried but they don't offer this model in American specs. What a drag. Maybe somewhere in the US future. Sureman
  • tutoo7tutoo7 Member Posts: 10
    Hey, I have GTI 1.8T and Im looking into suspension changes. What Im debating over is either the H&R cup kit or the coil overs and I dont know which to get. Is raising and lowering the car that big of a deal because otherwise the cup kits are alot cheaper. Does anybody know more about the cup kits and their performance. Thanx for your help
    Sometimes even 1.8", your driveshaft can hit your front sway. To fix this you'll need to swap out your front swaybar. Just thought you'd like to know.

I have the Bilstein Sport/H&R sport setup and I couldn't be happier with it. It's a 1.5" drop
  • typoontypoon Member Posts: 3
    I love this car. I've loved the GTI since I was 15, I'm 28 now so it hasn't been too long. The first time I test drove the car I was totally hooked. Even more than when I have been wanting it. I bought my car from Trend Motors in NJ. They are the best dealer I've dealt with. They also had the best price for what I wanted. I got the VR6 with the 17" wheels and 6 disc changed for under 24K. Black/Beige interior. When I was ready to buy the car I was looking on all the different sites comparing features and things and nothing compared to the GTI at all. I'm very happy I bought this.
  • nedzelnedzel Member Posts: 787
    Sureman said:

"By the way, in Germany they offer the VR6 with the Passat engine, six speed tranny and the 4 motion all wheel drive system."

Not quite correct. The Passat V6 is a traditional 60 degree V6 with a 5-valve head. It's the same engine that Audi sells. Previously it was a 2.8. This year it's a completely new 3.0 liter engine, designed by Cosworth. But it is still a 60-degree V6 with 5 valves and it is used in the Audi A4, A6, and VW Passat. This engine is mounted longitudinally. The Audis and the Passat use the Torsen AWD system.

In contrast, the VW Golf and Jetta use the narrow angle VR6. The VR6 is mounted transversely. In Europe, VW is indeed selling a 24 valve version of this engine, with 6 speed gearbox and Haldex AWD system. Current rumor is that we will get the 24 valve version with a 6 speed first quarter of 2002, but no AWD.

Jared
  • vwgtiboyvwgtiboy Member Posts: 1
    WOW, Thats all there is to say about the GTI..
    quick, responsive, playful!!!
    i just bought mine and got the racing suspension in it and the cold weather package since im in chicago!! Damn all there is to say about it is SMOOTH, very SMOOTH!
  • minelakaminelaka Member Posts: 8
    I got a lease offer for a 2001 GTI (1.8T) with automatic transmission and monsoon sound system. 2200$ down and 250$ a month, for 39 months. Is this a "good" deal?
  • civic_cx_92civic_cx_92 Member Posts: 87
    save yourself $500

2002 GTI's base sticker is $18,910

1.8T to get 180hp and 174 lb-ft.

http://www.autoweek.com
  • jjaninijjanini Member Posts: 1
    I bought my GTI 1.8T six months ago, and I would like to upgrade the HP...
    1) Which chip should I install and how $$ will it cost me?
    2) Is it bad for the car to put a chip to increase HP??

Thanks a lot
  • rrmohrrrmohr Member Posts: 2
    I have had my GLX for 2 weeks now and have about 400 miles on it. A couple of days ago I started hearing a strange squeak/groan/rattle coming from the right rear. I can't tell if it's on the inside or outside. Anyone else had anything like this? I hate to have the dealer start tearing things apart until I have some idea what it is. Other than that it's the most fun I've had on 4 wheels.
  • pocahontaspocahontas Member Posts: 802
    Edmunds' review of the 2002 VW GTI 1.8T is now available, here's a direct link to: First Drive: 2002 VW GTI 1.8T, by John DiPietro. Let us know what you think.

Thanks for your comments! ;-)

Pocahontas

Host

Hatchbacks / Station Wagons / Women's Auto Center Boards

• silver_bulletsilver_bullet Member Posts: 1,339
    Looks like VW is getting their priorities right for a change. I've been hoping for a GTI with more power and fewer luxury items - I don't want or need leather or a sunroof. I owned one of the first '83 GTIs in Houston, and really enjoyed that car. The 2002 GTI is on my short list - along with the Mini Cooper :-)
  • teresitateresita Member Posts: 20
    does the 2002 GTI come with standard sunroof?
    just wondering ...
    It is an option.
    On the car I test drove last weekend, the sticker listed a "Luxury Package" that gives you a sunroof and the Monsoon sound system for $1250.00 - no thanks. Be aware that the "standard" CD player isn't going to be available for awhile - it is listed in the brochure as "late availability", and the demo I drove had cassette only. 17" wheels are a $400.00 option if you've gotta have 'em.
    anyone know what will be the gas mileage on the 2002 GTI?
    will the extra power hurt gas consumption?
    the 2001 is 24/31 on a 5 speed manual,
    and that ain't bad.
    thanks ...
  • entoncesunoentoncesuno Member Posts: 4
    please forgive my ignorance, but ...
    i am getting set to purchase a 2002 GTI;
    yet i'd like the optional 17" wheels rather than
    the standard 16".
    here is the ignorant part: when they say 17" are they referring to the wheel only, or the tire, or both?
    i'd like a bigger tire on my GTI than the standard 16" , sort of makes the carlook more solid ...
    by the way, does anyone know how big a tire the GTI can take? is 18" too big?
    thanks to all.
    Jack E.
    Yes, tire and wheel size must match. The optional 17" wheel package includes lower profile 17" tires. Keep in mind that lower profile tires will produce a stiffer (but more controlled) ride, and are more likely to be damaged by potholes, etc. 18s are possible, but are almost unusable on real world streets - you are going to be constantly dodging street problems. Go to www.tirerack.com and do some reading on "plus size" fitments. BTW - tire prices for 17s and 18s are quite high, and larger diameter wheels are often heavier than stock - not a good thing.
    I am running 18x8.5" IWC Quicksilvers with 225/40/18 tire with no problems. I hit a HUGE pothole and managed to slightly bend one of them, but they do fit. People even put 225/35/19 tires on 19" rims on the MkIV.

The stock 16" Montreal IIs weigh 21 lbs without tires, and the 17" Monte Carlo's weigh 23 lbs without a tire. Not bad at all.

- Anthony
  • grape3grape3 Member Posts: 2
    Though I've greatly enjoyed the performance of 2001 GTI 1.8T in the past year, I've had some recent problems:

1. Humming noise in rpm range 2700-3000 in all gears each time I accelerate through. Has anyone else experienced this? I guessed turbo related...but the dealership has no ideas.

2. When in cruise control and on a slight to steep interstate incline - the engine surges, then releases, then surges....you get the idea. Related to problem 1? It's a new phenomena for me.

3. Window regulator

Any comments are appreciated!
  • grape3grape3 Member Posts: 2
    Should of mentioned - It's manual....I'll check the site out. Thanks
    does anyone know the ETA (Estimated Arrival Time)
    for the 2002 GTI??
    thanks.
    I drove a 2002 GTI 1.8T with the uprated engine about 10 days ago at my dealer's here in Houston - they must be arriving everywhere. I noticed that the demo I drove did NOT have the promised CD player - supposedly, this will be a "late availability" item. It was a fun drive, but I'm going to keep my name on the list for a Mini Cooper next spring :) The GTI is still too big and porky to be fun, and it just isn't a very interesting design IMO.
  • jerbear50jerbear50 Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone know where I can get specs for the 4 spd. auto on the '98 Golf/GTI?

I'm thinking of getting adding a supercharger, but I don't want to destroy the tranny.
  • moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870
    Bentley publishers produce repair manuals for the VW vehicles which are very thorough. I would suggest one as a source of specs. for the transmission on your car. It is very useful for any manner of repair or data questions.
    www.bentleypublishers.com
  • corkfishcorkfish Member Posts: 537
    I heard that the Mini Cooper will offer a 163 horsepower supercharged engine in it's more upscale model. Does anyone know avalability?
    The supercharged engine will be installed in the Cooper S, not the regular Cooper. Supposedly, the two models will arrive at Mini dealerships sometime in March 2002.
    a friend of mine bought a 2001 GTI six months ago and is complaining that the engine gets really hot really fast. he says it feels like there's a fire underneath the car .. and even cranking up the a/c doesn't help much.
    he took it to the dealer and they said there's nothing wrong with car that "volkswagon engines tend to get more hot and burn more oil".
    Has anyone out there heard of such a thing, or had a similiar experience?
    I was thinking of buying a GTI myself, but now i don't know.
    thanks.
    what is the average lifespan of the GTI?
    assuming of course, that it is well maintained.
    i plan to keep mine for 10 years plus.
    is this realistic?
    Is his car a 1.8 turbo? There is some serious underhood heat due to the turbocharger, so maybe that's what he is referring to. As far as "burning more oil", well, VW service departments aren't known for giving the straightest answers, so who knows? My fiancee had the 1.8 turbo engine in a Passat, and it never used any oil in the 6K miles she owned it.
    silver bullet thanks for the input...

my friend claims the "heat" is inside the car, and it comes from under the hood.
    maybe he's overly sensitive, who knows?
    but before i buy my GTI, i want to check this out ...
  • m3fanm3fan Member Posts: 30
    What's wrong with hot?
    Damn right the GTI is hot! That's why I am getting one next year. ;)
  • cupholder1cupholder1 Member Posts: 231
    Is the 2002 GTI made in Mexico or Germany?
    The 2002 GTI, like all(?) Golfs, is assembled in Brazil, I believe.
  • cupholder1cupholder1 Member Posts: 231
    I guess Brazil is an improvement over Mexico.
    Is supposed to be amazing. I got the inside scoop that VW Quality there is awesome. They throughly check every car after it goes off the production line, check it for codes with the 1551, road test it, and they even dyno the cars believe it or not. Who knows...

- Anthony
  • phaedrysphaedrys Member Posts: 37
    They road test all of the cars that come off the line? Wouldn't that show up on the odometer?