Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 - Part XIV

mznmzn Member Posts: 727
edited March 2014 in Ford
The fabulous ZX3. We keep talking and talking and
talking about this special car. To catch up on the
conversation, please click here.

carlady/host

Comments

• pcleveland2pcleveland2 Member Posts: 516
    At least we don't have as many blow outs, or even flat tires, as we did back then. But I have to admit that there was a lot more metal in those beasts. We had a 41, followed by a 51 Pontaic, then a 57 Chevy Bel Aire, a 63 Chevy ?, 66 Pontaic Tempest (Think that was called a T-100) when I was growing up. My first was a suicide door Fiat four speed on the column (59, I think), 64 Tempest two door, both used followed by a brand new 69 yellow VW Convertable brought when I got back from Vietnam. Followed by many more after I got married. Think the ZX3 is the most fun one of all. Don't ask me why, can't explain it. It's just a fun car to drive.
    Pat :>)
  • wilson25wilson25 Member Posts: 5
    Let us know when your "perfect world" arrives.
  • norwaydougnorwaydoug Member Posts: 249
    Hey Guy,

I think you have a very good point. From your own personal experience, I can appreciate your point of view regarding a potential serious flaw in our Focii. Therefore, his remarks should not be criticized and I understand your concerns.

The guy we should really criticize is Pat C. How old is that guy anyway?...1941 Pontiac for crying out loud!!

ND
  • zx3beastzx3beast Member Posts: 661
    you will have to wait for the afterlife. you can increase your odds
    to get there sooner if by fate your rear wheel comes off.when your times up , so be it.let me state again,i have been a very vocal supporter
    and at times an outspoken person in regards to the z and ford in general.
    however, i am older and wiser not to let myself be a blinded loyalist
    for a company which has compromised the safety of its loyal consumers.
    since the firestone recall the focus will be on ford whenever there is
    a potential problem with their products. the fact of the matter is, they
    blew it first with the contour and for now the jury is still out on the
    focus.i want them to succeed,i want for the focus to be a real winner,
    i made a financial investment in my hard-earned cash for this car.it is,
    as many have stated,a fun car to drive.but i have to tell you,it wouldnt be much fun to drive with only three wheels.unless of course,ford releases the new trike version.
    re:pcleveland2,pat - this past saturday i passed a teal color 57 belair
    it was a real beauty! now those were the real fun times and nearly a
    "perfect world" as one will ever get in this lifetime. let the good times roll!
  • minizx3minizx3 Member Posts: 32
    Checked ownerconnect.com this morning and my car is affected by the recall. I called the the customer service number and they stated that the recall was a safety issue and I should take the car in right away. I have an appointment for Monday at 8:00am. Of course, they're not sure if they have the parts to fix it but they said they will inspect the car and IF they have the parts fix it Monday IF NOT then I will have to wait for them to be ordered. I asked them what they will do if they don't have the parts, of course they said we'll see when you get here on Monday. If they dont' have the parts then I WILL get a loaner. I'm not going to sdrive a car that isn't safe. Anyway I'll post on Monday and let you all know what the deal is. Thanks to all who posted on the recall....I love this forum!!!
  • cobiecobie Member Posts: 108
    thanks for the reply. IYO, would it make any difference vis a vis brake cooling if the covers had vents in them? Supposedly, even w/ the vents they still stop the brake dust from forming.
    Also, re: the non-dust brake pads. Other than the dust are they any better in other respects than OEM pads? TIA
  • silver_bulletsilver_bullet Member Posts: 1,339
    I've examined the "vented" dust covers, and the vents are pretty tiny - obviously, if they made them too big, you'd be right back where you started, as the dust would pass through the vents too. Several sources (BMW among them) specifically advise staying away from these covers. They inhibit brake cooling, and can cause wheel mounting problems as well (since you are essentially placing a "shim" between the surface of the hub and the mounting surface of the alloy wheel). Yes, pads like the EBC Kevlar pads are much better than stock pads, in that they don't dust and have a MUCH higher temperature rating - upwards of 1000 degrees F. They are a good choice for aggressive street driving, and light track use.
  • njzx3njzx3 Member Posts: 170
    hey SB... i know you've told us a million times before, but i uess i didnt pay attention because i couldnt afford them... but im ready for my EBC pads. where did you order them from and what was the cost? did you install them yourself? if so was it easy, if not what was the cost of installation? do they go right into the existing mounts? or are extra parts needed for them? these may be stupid ?'s but it's my first car so ive never had to know this stuff before.

thanks,
    NJ
    I paid more than that for my pads direct from EBC - oh well. They are a straightforward swap for the factory pads - no extra parts are needed. These are very easy calipers to service, so if you've done brake work before, you'll have this job done in about an hour, tops.
  • miata23miata23 Member Posts: 26
    Edmunds.com has added a September update to their long-term test of a ZX3 at

http://www.edmunds.com/vehicles/2000/ford/focus/roadtests/longterm.html
    It was older than me, but I do remember it because I remember when we traded it in on the 51. Took the 51 Pontaic on vacation up to Canada, came back and brought it.

Talking about age, I see a lot of "older" people driving foci, even the ZX3. For being aimed at the generation Xers, it sure has a varied following.

Lets see, late 1946, na I'm not old. Am at the age where I really enjoy life and all it has to offer! But I have to admit, it took a long time to slow down and look around so I could see it. Think I felt older when I was in my twenties.

Pat
  • fgaydosfgaydos Member Posts: 319
    Thanks miata23,

It is reassuring to read the positive reviews of our Focus.
    It is also interesting reading about the PT Cruiser, a not so glowing review.
    I'm happy I made the decision to buy the ZX3 and not the Echo or Cruiser.
    Also check out Mintex. Suppose to be good.
    Yet another very good pad I've used in a variety of cars for years. The Repco Deluxe pad would have been my first choice as a replacement, but they haven't made an application for the Focus yet. Repco Deluxes are also virtually dustless, and much less expensive than the EBC pads - but aren't in the same category as far as temp. rating is concerned.
  • rmsabcrmsabc Member Posts: 17
    how dangerous is the focus with the brake recall
    i am bring to lincoln mercury dealer
    my ford dealer cannot even change the oil without
    overfilling

do we get a loaner car or not
  • scousescouse Member Posts: 14
    My black, fully loaded Z, (sans side air bags) can be seen zipping around Denver. Despite the altitude it provides blistering performance and taught handling. Suspension is a sheer delight. I have de-badged the tailgate and added the BMW tail pipe.
    I have one criticism, slight wind noise around the lower left side of the windshield.
    Sum up: Most fun I have ever had in a car (in the front seat).
  • wilson25wilson25 Member Posts: 5
    You say "the jury is still out on the Focus"? Huh? In a very short time period the Focus has become the best selling automobile in the world. The jury has spoken. You are in denial.
  • jwkessler1jwkessler1 Member Posts: 99
    A few weeks ago we took the Zinker out sailing. Our most recent weekend trip was to the mountains of Massachusetts and Vermont where the Zinker appears to be flying. Actually it was just mountain climbing. Check it out!

http://www.geocities.com/zinc_zx3/index.html
    Great Pics! I've seen a Zincer upclose. It looks great in this color! You never have to worry about finding you car in a parking lot!!! LOL!
  • cobiecobie Member Posts: 108
    Can I assume that the dust free pads w/ higher temp. ratings are longer lasting than OEM pads?
    TIA
  • zgrrrlzgrrrl Member Posts: 147
    #17 of 22: brakes (rmsabc) Wed 04 Oct '00 (07:50 PM)

how dangerous is the focus with the brake recall
    i am bring to lincoln mercury dealer
    my ford dealer cannot even change the oil without
    overfilling

do we get a loaner car or not

??????

I thought the recall for for the rear wheels falling off?
    Cobie - the EBC Kevlar pads will last longer than the OEM pads in normal street use. Except for the cost, there is no downside to switching to EBC pads.

Zgrrrl - you are correct; the 00S31 recall pertains to improperly installed rear wheel bearings, not the rear brakes. If a rear wheel bearing failed, there is the possibility of the hub (and therefore the wheel and tire) separating from the car... unlikely, but possible.
    As far as I know the recall is for the bearings/wheel falling off issue recall 00S31. Unless there's another one????
  • vadpvadp Member Posts: 1,025
    "We have some disappointing news for our customers. Sadly, starting today, October 5th, we will begin to close our WebHouse Club Service
    and you can no longer make a request for either Groceries or Gasoline. We will wind down our operations over the next 90 days."
  • vadpvadp Member Posts: 1,025
    to almost 6 1/2 at the moment.
    No more of 10-20 per gallon savings.
    That's sad.
    Foci has had a total of 3 recalls. None to do with brake system.
  • drebe73drebe73 Member Posts: 243
    I checked my owner connection account and sure enough my Z is affected with the recall. I called customer care and they said it was for the wheel bearings. I called my dealer to make an apointment and they said they can't do it until I get the recall notice in the mail. What century are we living in where we have access to information in an instant, yet we still have wait for snail mail. I should have gotten a call from my dealer saying, we have your part for your recall please come in so we can fix it. Makes me angry.
  • acrazyraisinacrazyraisin Member Posts: 7
    Hello to all... My zx3 is now a week old, and I am totally happy with my new car. I love that you guys are equally excited about the focus. She will be going on her first road trip this weekend. (My first road trip in my own car, my old chevy wasn't quite reliable enough for more than an hour of driving)

I just had one question that maybe one of you knows the answer to. No matter how lightly I step on the brakes the whole car still shifts back before stopping. I have a feeling this is a new car thing, but I thought I would ask if it would get better. Any thing else in particular I should look out for?
  • njzx3njzx3 Member Posts: 170
    Wow!! thats all i can say... got my watch tody and that thing is ENORMOUS!! but i love it... wear it when im not at work (since it wont fit under my dress shirt sleeves lol) I lucked out and got a nice black and grey one... it's so fitting... a unique car gets ya a unique watch... ok... gotta go

NJ
    Acraztraisin, you might want to keep an eye on your rear wheels, to make sure they aren't about to fall off. Maybe you should have kept the Chevy to drive while your Focus is in the shop for recall repairs... I, too, am a bit disappointed with Ford's apparent decision to use its customers as "beta testers". I sure hope these problems aren't the tip of a much larger iceberg.
    Hey dude, you have to describe your better than *shifting back!'

Are your referring to your transmission (auto or manual?) or to a braking issue? Is it the suspension? you are very vague!

Are you making a joke?
    Hey, this richard (rmsabc dude) is probably trying to be helpful, but by inaccurately stating a fact is anything, but helpful.

I personally don't want someone to post a note that gets Zgrrrl upset. I am not sure, but I don't think there are too many female posters here.

So get your story straight first RMSABC and then post with intelligence.

Give me a break!

ND
    Not really sure what you are getting at, but it sounds like the brake preportioning valve is not working properly (rear brakes giving more braking power than they should). That is if what you are describing is as pronounced as I think you mean. If it is, I'd have dealer check it out soon.

This has not been a problem with anyone on board that I remember, but not to say it couldn't be a problem with yours.

Pat
  • sunnyzsunnyz Member Posts: 22
    Got my watch in the mail today also. It's also dark grey and black. I'll have to sit down and read the little book to try to figure out all it does, but it's kinda neat. The frame is oh so tacky but customer service probably couldn't think of anything else to put in it's appreciation package with the watch, a appointment book for recall service dates probably would have been helpful for some of you.

I very much appreciated the fog lights tonight. I thought they were great! I never had fog lights before. Always had to use the low beams for everything, and I'll be anxious to see if the fog lights will help in driving through heavy snow storms. PCleveland, did you have your focus last Winter? If so, how did you do with the snow in your part of the world which is known for bad storms?

Still love my car, and the zinc color is more and more attractive to me. So far no recalls for me. Car built date is 7-10-00.
    Ford Focus safety notice - Rear wheels may fall off
    Published: October 1, 2000
    Source: Internal Ford documents
    By: Robert Lane

Safety Recall 00S31

Ford Motor Company has issued a safety warning on certain 2000 model year Focus models built at Wayne, Michigan from July 19, 1999 all the way through April 28, 2000 and Focus models built at Hermosillo, Mexico from October 4, 1999 through May 6, 2000.

The notice affects vehicles whose rear wheels have the potential off falling off due to insufficient wheel bearing clamp loads allegedly incorrectly done during the assembly process. According to Ford, Consumers may notice a "loud grinding or clunking noise from the rear of the vehicle or feel rear wheel wobble or vibration."

Ford dealers will be advised to inspect the rear wheel bearings for play and replace damaged components and install a wheel retention cap on the right rear wheel.
    Ford Focus safety notice - Rear wheels may fall off
    Published: October 1, 2000
    Source: Internal Ford documents
    By: Robert Lane

Safety Recall 00S31

Ford Motor Company has issued a safety warning on certain 2000 model year Focus models built at Wayne, Michigan from July 19, 1999 all the way through April 28, 2000 and Focus models built at Hermosillo, Mexico from October 4, 1999 through May 6, 2000.

The notice affects vehicles whose rear wheels have the potential off falling off due to insufficient wheel bearing clamp loads allegedly incorrectly done during the assembly process. According to Ford, Consumers may notice a "loud grinding or clunking noise from the rear of the vehicle or feel rear wheel wobble or vibration."

Ford dealers will be advised to inspect the rear wheel bearings for play and replace damaged components and install a wheel retention cap on the right rear wheel.
  • radvlikradvlik Member Posts: 9
    Hey all! What weight oil does the '00 zx3 use? The '01 recommends 5w20. I got my first oil change today and the oil change place (Valvoline instant oil change place) used 5w30. I know there's no big deal, I was just wondering if anyone can find 5w20. I'll probably switch to Mobil 1 at the next change (4000 miles). Later...

Radvlik
  • heyimdrivingheyimdriving Member Posts: 1
    Anyone know where I can get aftermarket parts for my Kona Focus out here in LA. Its pretty quick but I need at least 20 more HP. Oh, and did the watches you all got say 'Baby G' on them. I thought that was kinda girly for a boy like me, even though the watch matches my interior nicely. Love the bike and the car.
  • zx3beastzx3beast Member Posts: 661
    rear clunking sound has been noted in previous forums some months ago.
    it was thought to have been attributed to the rear well material.it was
    very noticeable during wet weather conditions.prior to reading about the
    potential rear wheel recall,i do remember hearing a very loud metallic
    grindind type sound from rear. i have not experienced any rear wheel
    wobble at this time.have not received notice as of today.i have contacted ford via e-mail. i have recieved confirmation of same and was told to expect a response in 3 business days. obviously,typical form letter routine.if wheel does come off,perhaps i can use the g-shock watch as
    a spare.
  • razzzzrazzzz Member Posts: 2
    I have a '00 zx3 with 10k miles. Since I've had the car. When applying the brakes the steering wheel vibrates until I come to a stop. Some time more than others, depending on hard I'm braking...
  • kkankkan Member Posts: 18
    I don't claim to be a car expert but what you just described. Would lead me to believe your rotors for your disk brakes have warped a little bit. You should have them looked at while there still may be time to save them. Happened to me on my last car.
    I called my dealer as soon as I got off the phone with the Custome Service Rep at Ford. Ford stated that they would advise the dealer that I was coming in. I have an appointment for Monday at 8:00am...what a way to spend my day off. Anyway, if they know about the recall and they know it's effecting your car then why wait...that's really dumb! ANyway I will post on Monday afternoon as to what they do/say.

Have a great week-end all!!
    I know waiting is really dumb but the fools at my dealer cant seem to wipe their butts without having permission from HQ. I'll talk to my service rep he's been good with me.
  • zgrrrlzgrrrl Member Posts: 147
    Re: vibrations - certainly sounds like the rotors are warped. That's what happened to me at 3K (I am now at 10,500)

Not only should you bring it in to have the rotors taken care of "while there is time to save them" but take it in ASAP under 12K so Ford will still cover it. Some people have already had to pay for brake services...
  • trevatreva Member Posts: 39
    Ok, so I just had my 5k service yesterday. Don't call me paranoid, but I did check that the oil had indeed been changed, and that the tyres had been rotated. This was confirmed since the rims with the brake dust on them are now on the back !
    All for the miserly cost of $9.95 all in. Must be a special they're running at the mo.

I also found that, despite my forgetting to ask, they had also checked the car for the OOS31 recall notice request. The rear hub had indeed been checked, though I didn't ask them if they had found anything wrong. Perhaps I should have.
    In any case, I'm glad that this Service department is running to speed. I'll be happy to continue getting my service through them.
    (Varsity Ford in Palo Alto, Northern CA).
  • lm_shaftlm_shaft Member Posts: 4
    I am interested in buying a Ford Focus and right now I am debating whether or not to go for the 2000 or 2001 model (the prices seemed to be very similar). Have they updated/improved the '01 model? I haven't heard any warnings about wheels falling off for the 2001 either, but I was just wondering if anyone had any advice. Thanks!
  • kdominczakkdominczak Member Posts: 174
    Some cool new looks from Ford-Europe.
    Since it's coming to America from Europe, take a look at new Ford Mondeo (replacement for our Contour?).It's one beautiful looking car, Passat will not survive if Ford will price it right.
    The new Mondeo is greatly improved over it's older
    version (rear susp.is like in focus, new more economic and more performance oriented engine, and more)

www.in.gr/auto/paris2000/category.asp?ctg=61

Enjoy it.
    Ka is a bad name for a car " Pahk, mah new Ka on Havahd yahd."
    I love how those concept cars are so spacey looking. Guess that's why I love my Zx3 so much it was the most post modern looking of any car in that class these days. Hey in 5 years I may be in one of those Pumas or Maverics
This discussion has been closed.