Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

BMW 5 Series Sport Wagons

Comments

• helainehelaine Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for your responses. I purchased a '99 BMW 528iT sportswagon because I don't have kids and the BMW seemed to be a much more fun car to drive. Mercedes dealer wouldn't deal on the '99 wagons he had in stock (wanted $2800 above MSR) while I got the '99 BMW for $1400 UNDER invoice! Price can also be a persuader. Love the BMW so far except for an annoying very loud rattle in rear that came with car. Am going to dealer tomorrow to see if it can be taken care of.
  • whitfiljwhitfilj Member Posts: 11
    did you get the rattle taken care of?

jim
  • twoof1twoof1 Member Posts: 308
    I read you're post regarding the purchase of a '99 528it. Congratulations!! I am also in the market for the same wagon. Could you please let me know where (region) you bought the car, and the purchase details (options and bottom line price) I would really appreciate it.
    How do you like the car after 1-month?
    2 mo old '00 528iT pruchased for 2500 over invoice with sport premium package in AZ. LOVE THE CAR! Check out carorder.com who was offering 528iT at below invoice.

Jim
  • bryannbryann Member Posts: 54
    i was in the market for minivan or SUV, but after reading the articles on the sport wagons, i had to change my mind. i have always wanted a 5 Series BMW. this gives me a chance to have both. did you take a look between the two? why did you decide to go with the 528 as oppose to the 540? was it price? any info would be really helpful. thanks.
    Two major issues separated the 528iT and 540iT
    1) about $8000
    2) no stick shift on the 540iT

Jim
  • silverjsilverj Member Posts: 1
    does anyone have any info on the 328Wagon.
    I hear it's do out very soon...there's a picture on the BMW website, but no pricing info.

Thanks for any help
  • daver63daver63 Member Posts: 2
    I've read that BMW will not be importing the 328iT to the US. Speculation is that it's pricing would be too close to that of the 528iT, and they didn't want to weaken sales on that model.

Car&Driver did a quick 2 page write up in the Nov 99 issue. If I recall correctly, they were guessing that BMW was waiting until their new 3.0L inline 6 would be ready.

So, sort of different stories floating around. BTW, a fellow BMW CCA member was telling me the new 3-wagon had a larger cargo area than its predecessor (not imported to the US)... in particular, the rear opening was close to 2" wider.

I'm currently driving a 95 525iT, and I like it a lot. The new 3-wagon has me interested, so I'll probably test drive one whenever they make it over here.

Dave
  • buvverbuvver Member Posts: 7
    My understanding is that a 323 wagon will offered in the US in the spring. I also heard that the reason there won't be a 328 is because it would be a lot faster than the 528it. At any rate, I'm looking forward to any 3 series wagon.
    I have a '00 528iT which I love. I have heard that for anyone encountering more than rare snow you want to get a set of snow tires. (no snow here in Phoenix for me to test out) I have also heard that wagons are harder to sell than sedans and dealers should deal more (?1500 over invoice) that being said I wanted a 5 sp manual and paid 2500 over invoice. As far as reliability, BMWs are not bulletproof like a honda but the things that go wrong tend to be annoyances that do prevent driving the car. I have had no problems in the 4000 miles to date.
    Last suggestion: get the Xenon HID headlights. You wont regret it.

Good luck

Jim
    That should read that the things that go wrong do NOT prevent driving the car

Sorry

Jim
  • buvverbuvver Member Posts: 7
    For anyone who's interested, the BMW USA website has pictures of the new 3 wagon expected out in early 2000 under the news section.
    I have a '00 528T as well. While I live in Phoenix I would love to take it up to the mountains for a ski trip. Please let us know how it does in the snow. As a new bimmer owner you should check out www.bimmer.org for a great forum on the E39. Search the archieves and you will find tons about your car including snow tires should you wish to go that route. Let me you how the stock tires do though!

Weclome and You will LOVE this car

Jim
  • cchan2cchan2 Member Posts: 1
    I had bought a volvo v70 wagon and had to bring it back to the dealer 7 times in 10 months. I'm thinking of getting rid of the volvo and getting the bmw 528i sport wagon. Can anyone tell me about their experiences with reliability of this car and recommend a dealer in the NY/NJ area?
    Thanks Chee
  • raronsonraronson Member Posts: 1
    I just leased a 00 528iT wagon. I highly recommend Prestige BMW in Ramsey, NJ. I test drove the Volvo V70 XC and BMW Wagon and the BMW wins out on ride. The Volvo wins out on cargo and passenger room. The BMW had enough cargo room for us. We just got two 6" snow storms here and the BMW did fine. I don't believe it would do as well as as AWD vehicle though.
  • vorheesbobvorheesbob Member Posts: 2
    Dani8, I had a 97 528ia sedan and traded it for the 99 528ia wagon. I purchased the premium sport package with the auto leveling system, which works very well. The 17" sports tires are pityful in the snow even in light, hard packed snow. The sedan was better. The wagon would not hold to any direction even at 2.5 to 5 miles per hour. Once in a parking space, it wouldn't come out. In an inch of snow in my driveway, it wouldn't move into the garage. I had to take the traction control off. I live in S. Jersey and it's reasonably flat. It's NOT a winter car.
    However, in dry conditions, it way outperforms my old sedan. The 97 sedan had numerous electrical problems, radio, heater, locks, brakes, etc. The wagon had but one problem so far, the radio kept blinking rapidly. And, there are numerous squeaks and rattles from the back mostly from the roll-up cover.
    As I was one of the first to purchase a new wagon and waited 6 weeks, they gave me a good discount (plus I owned a 97 5-sedan.) The dealer recommended that I not buy the Xenon lights if I was purchasing the car because they are very expensive to replace; they said that if I leased it then, they'ld recommend the Xenon lights. It's a great car to drive and it's versatile, but I think it's overpriced compared to others. I wouldn't do it again.
  • cdndrivercdndriver Member Posts: 86
    I've been considering a 95 525 or 97 528. The latter is pushing the price envelope. I'm concerned about the reliability of these, since it costs a fortune to fix them. I have read that the 97 have electrical problems, are there any internal service notices or recalls to correct them? Would you still have purchased the 97?
    Have the 95's stood up well, what are their quirks? My 77 320i has died and I need something bigger, due to a new baby. I would love to stay with bimmers, but I don't want to get in over my head with repairs. I drove a 94 540i and loved the feel and power, but I'd hate to think of the fuel costs, therefore the 5 25/28 seems better. I'll be testing one soon. I's like some feedback on the reliability before I fall in love with one.
    Thanks.
  • vorheesbobvorheesbob Member Posts: 2
    I had one of the first 97's. The first day it had to go back because of a light problem. For the next 16 months, it was in at least once per month. The brakes were replaced after the first month. There were three radios put in and the system still didn't function. The airbag warning light was fixed three times. The doors wouldn't lock electronically even though the beep sound and lights blinked indicating it was locked. The windows would sometimes mysteriously move down. The electronic motors controlling the air flow directions would open and close at will and sometimes refused to defrost the front windows. There was a persistent smell of radiator fluid with a minor loss all the time. The dealer stated that BMW's always lose a little fluid normally.
    Even so, I bought a 99 wagon. So far the only problems have been where the radio lights blink rapidly and the alternator went after 8,000 miles. When I commented about the problems with my other BMW, the service rep.'s first words were, oh, was it a 97? That says it all.
  • ottobyerottobyer Member Posts: 1
    isnt the 540iA wagon with the steptronic trans, and all -season tires perfectly excellent enough? why add sport wheels, etc. is there really a major difference in handling or driving pleasure? one would think the non-sport suspension is more comfortable? and cheaper to own and operate,etc.etc.
  • cdndrivercdndriver Member Posts: 86
    Thanks for the info. Yikes, maybe a 97 isn't the one to go with. There are several at the dealer's now. I like the look, but not at the expensive of lots of problems. I hope you have better luck with the new '99. I saw the '00 at the auto show here in Toronto, it is beautiful, but very expensve. It'll have to be used if at all for me.
    Thanks again and happy motoring.
    cdndriver
  • ran3ran3 Member Posts: 13
    I'm not sold on wagon type styling. car
    had no problems, after a year 7000 mile
    took in for a free oil change. I brought
    since had a Lincoln Navigator and couldn't
    wait till got rid of, very impractical for
    me. Thought might still need to haul stuff
    around so looked at wagons but wagons to
    me have image as varmint haulers. So will
    probably trade sooner than thought. Posting
    to report 99 model being virtually trouble
    free so far - knock on wood. Model is 528
    premium pkg, moonroof, cd, homelink, heated
    seats, slide load floor.
  • tln53tln53 Member Posts: 1
    I'm trying to decide between these two cars. I know that the e320 has much more cubic feet capacity. They are both beautiful, come with good service programs, and are well engineered. How much of an issue should the AWD be? Is that a big advantage for the e320 in NE weather? What else should I consider to make this decision?
  • ran3ran3 Member Posts: 13
    may find some further information at
    www.bimmer.org/5series/messages
  • dblubanddbluband Member Posts: 1
    I replace my 4 wheel drive SUV with the 528iT with sport premium package and couldn't be happier. I live in Minnesota where the winters are long and if you blink you miss summer. As soon as it started to snow I mounted 4 blizzaks on the car and I think it handles better in the snow then my Pathfinder did. I don't think the AWD is an issue.

12,000 miles so far and I can still outcorner most cars on the road:)

Good luck in you purchase.
  • firsttimer4firsttimer4 Member Posts: 1
    I am on the verge of buying a 1992 BMW 5-series sports wagon. It has low miles and is very reasonably priced. As someone who has never owned a BMW, my questions are: Is this a good edition of the car, and will my maintenance costs be high? Any help would be appreciated.
    You should check out the www.bimmer.org discussion groups for more BMW info than you will find here. For example, no dealers are currently allocated to receive 530 Touring models. Most 2001 Tourings will come with a 2.5l engine (therefore will be 525T) and there should be a few 540Ts as well. No clear reason yet why there will be no 530Ts except that Sport Wagons are stil a small market in the US unfortunately.

Good Luck
    Jim
    '00 528T
  • mush3mush3 Member Posts: 1
    I'm looking at (2)'95 Bimmer wagons (my very 1st Bimmer). Love the idea of the V-8, but have been told that buying the 530 wagon would be a mistake - ie. not as reliable, engine problems that year, etc. Any feedback? What would a fair price be for both models - each has 42,500 miles & look to be in very nice condition. The only "features" difference is the 525 has traction control & the CD changer. Otherwise, identical in options. Thanks very much!
  • rockypaulrockypaul Member Posts: 104
    My 2001 has no rear head protection. The rear side airbags are in the doors and are optional.
  • rockypaulrockypaul Member Posts: 104
    have several vehicles with the transmitter. Homelink makes all of them.

They will not retrofit old garage door units to conform with the in car system due to liability issues concerning safety beams and auto reversing mechanisms now mandatory but heretofore unavailable.
  • shoesshoes Member Posts: 131
    I own a 2000 540T with about 10,000 miles on it. If I had to drive only one vehicle, this would be it. I have owned 67 cars in my lifetime so far, and my goal is own 100 before I go and this is one of the top 2 or 3 I have ever owned and the best all around. Sure I love my E-55 Mecedes, but I am reluctant to put my dog in it even with the seat cover Mercedes sells for this purpose.

The 540T is quick, confortable, practical and stylish (my wife doesn't agree on that last point). My dog loves it, of course. The few drawbacks are: mileage is not great, maybe 15 in the city and 21 on the highway with a smallish tank. The xenon lights consistently piss off oncoming drivers and I have not had this problem in any other car with xenon lights (like the Mercedes).

That is my total list of gripes. The build quality on the 5 series automobiles is the best. No rattles, no mechanical problems. I have owned three and I have never had to service anything except the oil.
  • taratara Member Posts: 30
    Hello! I just wanted to introduce myself, my name is Tara and I've just started working for Edmunds.com. I'll be your new host for Station Wagons:)
  • choosaychoosay Member Posts: 1
    I'm looking at purchasing a new (2001) 525 Wagon. With the new 2.5 engine, I want to know if they have enough power with 2 adults/2kids or not? How do they handle when loaded? I test drove one and it seemed OK, but no one else was in the vehicle. I can't afford the 540.
  • markobodormarkobodor Member Posts: 17
    I test drove a 525T wagon and felt that every acceleration from a stoplight was a race - the engine has a built in growl - and I was not even going that fast. In contrast, I drove an Audi A8 and felt I was accelerating at light speed and did not hear anything. I would like to feel that driving around town is effortless, precise, and efficient. Should I test drive the 540 wagon then? Any comments from 528/540 owners?
  • shoesshoes Member Posts: 131
    To Markobodor:

I am already on record as a 540T lover. This is one fast wagon. The 525/528 is nice, but the 540 is intoxicating. I live in San Francisco and there are a lot of guys with hopped up Japanese economy cars driving around like they are kings of the road. I love pulling up next to them and pulling away effortlessly in my station wagon. It would be even better if I removed the "540" emblem from the back of my car so they would have no idea why I was so fast.

OK, so I still behave like I am 18 even though I am 48.
  • RCPackardRCPackard Member Posts: 7
    Am considering purchase of 2001 BMW 525iT. Was wondering what kind of deals have people got (3-5% over invoice reasonable?

Thanks, Randy
  • mauritiusmauritius Member Posts: 12
    Markobodor,

How's your shopping?

I just bought an A6 4.2 sedan and totally agree you with about the V8 engines on the BM and Audi. I test drove the 540 wagon but the acceleration is not as strong as I expect. On the other hand, the Audi fared quite well. At the end, I chose the Audi because of its Quattro system. Nevertheless, I consider the 5 series wagon the best looking station wagon on earth. Hey,I even think it is more attractive than its sedan counter-part.

Shoes,
    I like your idea of removing the emblem. People will have no idea what hit them. As a matter of fact, I just removed the A6 4.2 emblem from my car. Now only "Edmunds"ers could tell that my car is not the 2.8 base model.

---Another 18 years old at heart
    Well, I am thinking about the Mercedes E-320 Wagon - these are available at invoice and are comparable in price to the A6 4.2's and 540's. I agree, the 540 station wagon is a very attractive looking car. The Mercedes is the smoothest and most solid ride and has lots of room - you can fit 7 people in the wagon - each one of them has the extra seat under the floor. The Audi has the best AWD system and the slickest interior - especially the Vavona wood. I like the guages more in the MB and BMW, especially at night. I only tested the 2.7 T and was impressed by its torque and smoothness. I did not test the 4.2 yet. I tested the allroad and would like to fall in love with it, but it looks a bit like the goodyear blimp (less so if it is kept at its lowest setting.) I'll see - MB's can be had at or below invoice now. Did you get a good deal on your 4.2? How does the handling compare to the 2.7T? Another car I did love was the 310 hp A8 - what a lear-jet! But it did not have fold-down seats and could not fit the stuff I currently fit inside my Porsche 944: two mountain bikes, skis, or a 26" TV or long planks from Home Depot, etc.
  • jr1y2kojr1y2ko Member Posts: 1
    New member to all...

I've selling my '92 525 wagon @130km. I've owned Volvo wagons(2)240 & 740 turbo Volvo prior; BMW
    rides like a magic carpet in comparison and more
    aggressive looks !

I'm looking at a '97 850R Volvo wagon with 60m tuned with ID computer @ + 280 horse,18"rims & wheels,etc. that the original owners maintained in flawless show room condition -for $22K.

Now on any given day '99-00 540 wagon's run 40K<56K. My wish list is to have the 540!
    But my price/performance objective seems more reasonably to buy the 850R.

Any salesman out their ?
  • kelfkelf Member Posts: 83
    Please explain how and where do you get a new 2001 E320 st wagon at invoice? Is this because they are in the process of redesign it?
  • thegoldenmanethegoldenmane Member Posts: 1
    I'm currently a Jeep owner and am thinking of trading for a mid 90's 5 series BMW wagon. I do a fair amount of winter (mountain) driving. Is the traction control feature a sufficient trade for the four-wheel drive I'm giving up? Is it a must have? I've also heard that the recall of the eight cylinder means I should avoid them, is that really true? Can anyone recommend a good place to look for this car in the New York City area? What price range do you think I'm looking at for a mid-90's vehicle w/ traction control (and of course the dual sun-roofs)!
    Yes, it is because they are redesigning it, supply/demand, recent stock-market woes, etc. Check the MBZ wagon board for testimony by "thegeneraltso".
  • simplesimple Member Posts: 7
    We have a 540 Wagon in silver that has about 30K on it now and I love it more every day. The car drives and handles flawlessly, as a $60,000 car should (paid $47,000 for it new...the third BMW I've purchased from my dealer...loyalty pays off).

That car doesn't do anything wrong...I can't get enough of it. My partner drives a 98 528 sedan with about 97K on it...he likes the ride of his car better than the stiffer ride of the sport suspension on the 540. I think he's nuts.

My only complaint about my 540 wagon is cargo space. It is one of the smallest wagons in its class for cargo space...and the load floor is useless. We're about ready to trade the 528 and will likely get an MB E320 wagon for the extra room and the relaxed ride that my partner prefers. I'll drive my 540 into the ground.
  • boobboobboobboob Member Posts: 4
    I have a 99 528iT. It's 2 years old with 16,000 miles. About a year ago, my radio display started blinking in a random but annoying pattern.
    The dealer didn't believe me, until I drove it in for him to see. They first tried something that didn't work. Then, they ordered a new display panel. It would then blink only intermittently and I was told to bring it back again, but have lived with it. Now all of a sudden, it's blinking constantly like it's sending secret messages to the Chinese gov't.
    Has anyone else experienced this?
    I forgot to mention that it stops when the parking or headlights are on??
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    ....but I'm here to announce the new BMW 5-Series Owner's Club now available on Edmunds.com Owner's Club board. Please stop by and introduce yourself in Meet the Members and let me know how I can help build your club.

I have linked this discussion into that folder, but it will always reside here in Sedans.

Looking forward to meeting everyone!

KarenS
    Host
    Owner's Clubs
    Has anyone heard whether the 5 series Wagon will get all wheel drive as that in the 3 Xi wagon?
    I've sent that question to BMW and BMW Germany.
    They don't answer the question but submit a commercial.
    Thanks
  • stodd52stodd52 Member Posts: 3
    1998 MB 320E with 40,000 miles. MB certified thru dealer who is asking $38,900.

2000 BMW 528 Wagon with 17,500. New never titled, loaner/demo... dealer asking $39,900.

Which wagon is the better value in long haul?
    Have been leasing and account tells us that due to tax law revisions it would now be more beneficial to buy rather than lease....plus we'd build up some equity.

Comments and suggestions welcome.
  • kelfkelf Member Posts: 83
    We are interested buying a new wagon and would like one which has reasonable room behind the rear seats for a 70lbs Lab. How would you rank topr 3 wagons and why?
  • jeffsaxejeffsaxe Member Posts: 4
    Hey, I'm no electrical wiring expert, but I've noticed that most recent-model cars have a nice auto-dimming feature on their radios that's connected to the headlights switch. So during the day, the radio display is bright, but when you turn on your headlights, there's some extra wire that sends a signal to the radio that they are on, and therefore it's probably nighttime, and the radio dims its display so it doesn't stand out visually in the dash. Perhaps the connection on that signal wire from the headlights to the radio is faulty somewhere, and the display panel thinks you're rapidly turning the headlights on and off.

Just a guess. (If I were a service technician, I'd have tried to find this loose wire or faulty control signal before replacing an expensive panel. But don't get me started on the diagnosis expertise in the auto repair industry...)
  • petegorpetegor Member Posts: 1
    I'm trying to decided between the 525 and 9-5 wagons. I've had a Volvo 850 GLT for 5 years and like the front wheel drive, but wouldn't get another. Any thoughts? Especially on the BMW in the snow? I need the size of either of these and want a manual shift.
This discussion has been closed.