Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volkswagen EuroVan

tonytony Member Posts: 2
I am in the market for a 98 Volskswagon Eurovan. I
would like to know any information
from previous owners of earlier years on
reliability
or problems.

Comments

• SGALCZYNSGALCZYN Member Posts: 3
    I think the Eurovan of old is no longer available in the US (since '93 I believe).
    But, my VW dealer tells me that Volkwagen will release the present European Van in the US this spring (called the SHARAN over there).

I drive a GTI now but am in the market for a minivan sometime in Spring '98. My 1st choice is a Grand Voyager. Both my GTI and Jetta have been great for reliability - so I am holding out for reports and reviews on the SHARAN when it hits the US.
  • PeasantPeasant Member Posts: 1
    I'm considering a used VW Vanagon, and would like any information experienced owners can give. I would appreciate comments concerning reliability, potential problems, things to look out for, and general impressions of the vehicle. Thank you!
  • taflahertytaflaherty Member Posts: 1
    I live in Denver. I've looked at the '97 Eurovan and liked it very much. Winnebago has done afine job with the interior. So how come we can't find any data about the VW camper on the Edmunds page?
  • JRChoccoJRChocco Member Posts: 7
    SGALCZYN-
    You are correct, the Eurovan is ude back late this Spring or early this Summer. It will be just like the model previously sold here except for that it will have the VR6 engine and dual air-bags. In Europe it's called the Caravelle, not the Sharan. The Sharan is a much smaller van shared with Ford and built in Portugal. It is rumored we might get a version of the next generation Sharan due in 2002, to supplement the Eurovan.

taflaherty-
    The VW Camper is technically considered a conversion van since Winnnebego modifys it. That is why Edmunds dones' have the pricing.

Jon
    "The Roaming Host"
  • rickroverrickrover Member Posts: 601
    I had a 93 Eurovan for my business and have fond memories of it. Owned it from 93 to 96 and put just shy of 200k on it. Might have bought another if it would have been available in 96 (non camper). The 93 was great on long highway trips but a little underpowered. Will VW bring the CL or GL Eurovan back? I need to replace the current business vehicle this December and would consider a non camper Eurovan again (especially with VR6 engine).
  • MiyoshiMiyoshi Member Posts: 1
    I recommend a LOT of patience for anyone waiting on VW to put out a new Eurovan. I REALLY wanted to buy one and called VW and was told that it would "be in the showrooms this coming (Summer, Fall, Winter)" You get the picture. They told me that it was imminent, but I have yet to see a new one on the market since I first called and was promised it would be out in six months. (That was in '95)

IF you need a van, check out others while you are waiting. We finally bought our second choice. But if VW does come out with it, we will get one when this one gets too old to drive.
  • VanagonmanVanagonman Member Posts: 2
    I am not really a "car person". What I mean is I drive whatever car is available, and do not become emotionally involved with cars. Until now. My 84 Vanagon has changed me. It has been such a dependable and versatile vehicle that I cannot imagine ever getting rid of it. When my honda or GMC fail to start in Colorado's winter, the Vanagon always does. It is this dependability that prompts me to buy a Eurovan, and I too have been waiting for about a year. I am on every dealers list on the front range, and each assures me that the new vans will be here "very soon". Meanwhile my GMC has died, and I have no vehicle to tow my little pop-up camper. Does anyone have a definitive answer about the 6- banger Eurovan's debut? My wife wants the Toyota Sienna, and I can't hold her off much longer!
  • bktoolsbktools Member Posts: 1
    I bought a '97 Eurovan Camper in December, 1997 and have put 8,000 miles on it and have camped in it about 15 times. The VR6 engine is gutsy but could use a little more horsepower for pulling the hills, although I guess this engine is a definite improvement over the previous 5 Cylinder.

The suspension is somewhat under-engineered for the weight on the left side (fridge, stove, fuel tank, water tank, etc.) and I had to install some load boosters/stabilizers (Timbrens) to provide for stability and control, especially on the corners.

The '97 Eurovan seems to be available out here in Western Washington. In fact the local VW dealer has two of them available now.
  • volksvanvolksvan Member Posts: 1
    I'm looking to buy a new Volkswagen Transporter Cargo Van with diesel engine and so far haven't seen any feedback on it. Can anyone help?
  • SherylSheryl Member Posts: 1
    Help. am ready to buy a eurovan but what is a good price? Since there are no dealer invoice costs available, it's difficult to figure this out. Any info would be greatly appreciated. I live in Western Washington
  • jamie01jamie01 Member Posts: 9
    Sheryl, I may be able to help. You can get an good estimate of the invoice by using the percentage rule. If you look at the retail price and the invoice price for other VW products, for example, you'll notice that the invoice price is 90% of the retail price. For more price leading cars like the Golf, it is more like 91.5%, but for the Passat it is approx. 90%. You can safely bet that the Eurovan is priced in a similiar way. Just take the retail, multiply it by .9, and you will have a close estimate of the invoice. Subtract any incentives (rebates)-- I doubt there are any on the Eurovan--and you have a figure to build on for your offer. How much you should pay over this figure is largely determined by the demand for that particular model, how long the dealer has had it, how badly they need to sell a car, etc. Good luck-I hope this helps. Let me know how it turns out and how you like your new Eurovan.
  • MGAJEWSKIMGAJEWSKI Member Posts: 1
    I am considering buying a used '97 camper. Does anyone have any useful details on this van? trouble areas to look for, likes/dislikes etc. I seems rather difficult to find any information on this limited production vehicle. I have had bus and vanagon Westfalia's and loved them. Hoping that a eurovan still has some of the character of these classic, wonder lust Westies!
  • jonkjonk Member Posts: 1
    O.K. so I'm a little behind the times here in NYC where my wife and I haven't owned a car for 8 years, but we're moving to the Midwest where we'll again rely on a car/van and we have always wanted a VW camper/van. Where do I begin to look? I didn't even think they made them anymore. I owned an '85 GTI and loved it, now I want to continue my love affair with a family van!
  • cinscottcinscott Member Posts: 1
    I just recently found out that Eurovan will have both the GLS, the MV, and the MV Weekender in showrooms in the U.S. in July. I am really interested in the Weekender, and am wondering if I am getting the run around about when these vehicles are due in. My lease will be up in the fall and I can't afford to wait too long.
    Also, anyone hear anything about the cost of the Weekender? My dealer said he has the figures but I never seem to get them.
  • StrategoStratego Member Posts: 29
    I gave up my old '87 Vanagon GL camper a while ago. I thought about purchasing a new EuroVan, but in the high $30(000)s with a less-than-150 hp engine and a heavy vehicle with not so many premium automobile features, I didn't find it worthwhile. I used my old van mostly for city use anyway, so I decided to buy a minivan and a trailer to go with it so I don't always have to lug around the extra weight (fridge, stove, etc). Also, it doesn't seem right to me to try and fit all the features you would find in a full-size RV into a van.
    That is the beauty of the weekender. It has the basics (bed, table, curtains, screens, fridge, pop-top, etc), without the heavy stove, heater, and sink. In 1995 it cost somewhere around $25K.
  • StrategoStratego Member Posts: 29
    The basic design is okay, but I'm not sure it's worth the price it's asking. In '87 I paid about $20,000 for my Vanagon. I liked the camper features but most of the time I was using it around town.
  • cozycozy Member Posts: 3
    The Eurovan VR6 is here. (in the bay area). But none of the dealers I've called have any literature on them or options. I want a seven passenger, with two captains chairs and a bed in back. Much like the 93 MV. All they have is the 7
    passenger with two bench seats. I've heard they will be getting an MV 6-cylander, does anyone know?
    I wonder if only certain dealers are buying the Eurovan for their inventory, because the VW dealerships here (D.C.) don't seem to know anything about the Eurovan being available (in non-camper form). Please let us all know how it drives and what it costs if you get a chance!
    The dealers said they didn't even order them that they just show up. I guess that's why theres no literature or info. yet. I did test drive the 99'.
    It's definately fast or faster, Takes off pretty good. I liked it a lot and plan to buy one, but I'm holding out for more styles and colors, and to
    maybe see some on the road first. One dealer had a price of 33K and another one a friend works at and they were 27K.
  • mdennismdennis Member Posts: 1
    My wife and I are considering purchasing the Volkswagen turbo diesel camper van for traveling in Europe. We drove the turbo diesel for a month in Europe back in 1990 and were impressed with it. Any comments about the reliability and up keep costs of the Volkswagen vans would be appreciated.
    Just checked out VW's website, and they have the Eurovan listed as an available model. They do say it has limited availability, and may need to be specially ordered. They also list the prices! It looks like they are only offering it fully loaded, inluding automatic, and only w/the VR6. The GLS lists for $29,900, and the MV lists for $31,400. The Weekender package (pop top w/bed, fridge, screens, etc.) is available on the MV.

The VR6 develops only 140 HP in the Eurovan, which seems a little low, considering it produces so much more in the VW cars. I guess they tune it more for torque, but still--140? At least it gets decent economy--they list it at 22 city, 28 highway.

They also have a good selection of pictures, in the "Gallery" section of the site. Check it out at www.vw.com
  • bostnwhalrbostnwhalr Member Posts: 128
    I'm currently looking at a 94' Eurovan GL with 80k miles and a price of $9000 from a local used car dealer. Am I safe to assume that parts for it are very very $$$. Anyone had any experience with the 93-96 van?

I love the size and uniqueness of it. Am I nuts to buy one or will it be a great adventure?
  • dbaxdbax Member Posts: 1
    Not likely the Sharan (the Passat-based minivan) will be available in the US, at least as a VW. I have heard that it may be the replacement for the Mazda MPV in 2000. Ford and VW developed this model together for the European market. Since Ford owns 25% of Mazda the MPV replacement seems a natural. I have a 1985 Vanagon with 180,000 miles and I love it--not terribly reliable when I bought it used but with much mechanical renovation and careful maintenance it has become VERY reliable. The weak point is head gasket leaks of coolant that are best addressed by replacing the engine--more minor fixes seem to be very temporary. Would love to see more base versions of the new Transporter/Caravelle/Eurovan in the United States. Commercial and Diesel versions have always been available in Canada. At the prices for the non-camper versions of the Eurovan in the U.S. it would seem that VW won't be selling very many of these.

Donald Baxter
    Sorry to say to VW that the 99' Eurovan was just to expensive for my budget, and we ended up buying a Subaru 2.5GT Wagon and I love it. But I still have my 89 GTI 16V and I love that too! So I guess I will be checking out the station wagon conference from now on. Good luck to anyone who buys a new Eurovan, I'll be jealous.
    Just saw a brand new '99 Eurovan on the lot here in No. Virginia (Woodbridge). It was very nice looking, especially the more rounded front end. It was also VERY expensive (around $31,000), for the basic model (not a weekender or a camper). It was fully loaded up with basically every feature as standard, however. But once a van gets over that $30K mark, it becomes a stretch. The dealer said they ordered this particular van 3 years ago, and it just arrived! Guess they won't be making any deals on it. EPA estimates on the sticker were 15 city 20 highway, lower than what I recall seeing on VW's website. Can't wait to see one with the Weekender package--has anyone seen one?
  • rob45rob45 Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone know of any crash tests or reliability figures on the new eurovans--have looked on the vw websites here and in Europe with no luck. Thanks!
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    Here is Edmund's info and review for 1999 Volkswagen EuroVan GLS Passenger Van and 1999 Volkswagen EuroVan MV
    Passenger Van

Sorry, no picture. :-(

KarenS/roving host
    Is VW smoking something with a base price of $30k. I think the Euro is very cool looking and different from the pack, but $30k base and $33k as tested. Who are they kidding? Plus, I hope they fixed the rusting problem seen on the 93's.

I've decided to buy an Odyssey 99'. 210hp, Honda reliability and ergonomics, sedan-like ride?

VW could have at least priced the Euro at $25k. What gives?
  • DRiceDRice Member Posts: 3
    For anyone interested in another road test of
    the EuroVan you can go to

http://www.thecarplace.com/homecar.htm

Be aware, that the reviewer was not too fond of the van.
    Your right- it is negative. While he has some valid points, he seems to be overly critical. He also has some of his facts wrong about the past and present Eurovans. In contrast, I've read some great reviews in other publications (i.e. Washington Post last month). Pricing does seem very high though. I would like to hear comments from new owners on how they like it.
  • EuroManEuroMan Member Posts: 2
    If you want to talk to Eurovan owners, subscribe to the Eurovan forum at ev_update@maller.com. Dozens of owners from all over the country (and some abroad) actively participate.
    My wife & I, for example, are on that. We bought a new Eurovan Camper several months ago and love it. No other automaker produces anything that you can even compare with it, though a full size American van conversion is closest. But none of those had enough front passenger legroom--check 'em out and you'll see.
  • Fraggle7786Fraggle7786 Member Posts: 1
    I'm looking for a mid-late 80's Vanagon but am unsure about which features I want. I was wondering if anyone has had experience with the GL Syncro models (4wd). Also, I'm wondering if I need all the equipment in a camper or if I can get by with the normal van with the fold down bed and just use my own camping stuff. Has anyone out there owned a vanagon for general outdoor stuff and wished they had a camper?
    Quik VW/Mitsubishi in Quincy, MA has a new Eurovan for $4,000 off MSRP of $30,700. Not bad.
    Quirk Ford just raised the discount to $4,250 off the MSRP.
  • bonnie_rickbonnie_rick Member Posts: 115
    Volkswagen Eurovan Road Test coming to the front page of www.edmunds.com next week.

Tell us whether you agree with our review!

Bonnie Rick
    Town Hall Community Manager, edmunds.com
  • dieselmandieselman Member Posts: 1
    cant understand why vw keeps this dinosaur and doesnt bring out their diesel mini van out to the usa , the bug was cool and retro the eruo is out dated junk ...................vw do you want to be a leader or just keep fowling other auto makers trends BRING OUT THE DIESEL MINI VAN I BELIVE IS CALLED THE SIERA.....
  • johnc4johnc4 Member Posts: 5
    My wife and I are very interested in the new EuroVan Camper set-up. Those of you that have one, what do you like most about it, and what the least. Do you agree with the Wardlaw review? Has anyone found a new one discounted at all? Also any used ones on the market; if so for how much?
    Thanks
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    to Edmund's Road Test for the 1999 Volkswagon Eurovan.

KarenS/Vans host
    Another question. We are planning on buying a Eurovan Camper. I am 6'6" and the bed is a bit shorter. Any ideas on how to extend the bed or otherwise deal with my being "vertically challenged"? Thanks.
  • edwardh1edwardh1 Member Posts: 88
    I wonder how VW slept throught the minivan boom, after being on the front edge back in the 70's. Maybe all those air cooled engines that blew up when driven at the speed limit on the interstate followed by water leaks in the Wasserboxer engines drove too many people away.
  • jls5jls5 Member Posts: 1
    Despite some of the obvious design flaws of the Eurovan, as a family of five, we love it. It would be great if a US maker would incorporate some of the features that make a Eurovan unique, such as rear facing seats, and a roomy feel. The article sounds a lot like someone with an axe to grind.
    What are the differences between the '97 and the '99 Eurovans? Thanks.
  • evownerevowner Member Posts: 1
    Edmund's review of the VW Eurovan commits the worst sin of a product review: failing to judge something's usefulness for its intended buyer, not for the reviewer. The reviewer compared it to American and Japanese minivans. But Eurovan buyers like me were comparing it with full sized vans, because only those vehicles have capacity comparable to the Eurovan's. In particular, the Camper version (converted by Winnebago but sold through qualified VW dealers), which I have, could only be compared with an RV. And compared to full sized vans and RVs, the Eurovan is nimble, powerful and surprisingly carlike--a pleasure to commute to work in or to drive all day, both of which I've done, and with a true top speed of 106 mph, which I've also done. On long drives those "hard seats" are far more comfortable than pillowier seats.
    The reviewer also got some important facts wrong. For example, it runs on regular, not premium, as stated in the manual and verified by my experience.
    The reviewer also made the error of treating nits like the lack of a glove compartment as if they mattered as much as crucial features like its excellent handling and capaciousness. The reviewer also failed to recognize the compromises required to achieve its key benefits. For example, you have to climb up into the driver's seat because the Eurovan is as tall as a full sized van. That compromise delivers a terrific view in traffic--you can see problems sooner than minivan drivers--and over bridge railings and the like--as well as the versatility of being able to carry very tall cargo. You can't get one without the other.
    I've always liked the Edmunds site but your Eurovan review is decidely amateur. The reviewer should have taken half an hour to query the Eurovan owner's email forum, available through emailing ev_update@maller.com with Subscribe in the message. There dozens of Eurovan owners who have nothing to gain or lose from communicating with you will answer questions and talk honestly about their experiences with Eurovans of all vintages and types.
    And while your reviewer got sneers about the Eurovan's looks, my wife and I drove it to church a while ago and after services popped the top up to show it to our friends there. It immediately filled with every child who could get into it, all of whom then begged their parents to get one, because it made so many coolness points with them. 'andsome is as 'andsome does, and they were gaga over the upstairs bed, the fridge/stove/sink/propane heater, all cleverly fitted into a vehicle a foot shorter than the Ford station wagon we'd had before.
    And as for the price--the Eurovan camper's about $35K. A full sized Ford van with a comparable camper conversion costs over $40k. By those lights it's a bargain. We look forward to driving ours for a dozen years or more.
  • pocahontaspocahontas Member Posts: 802
    I agree evowner's observation. Some (not all) of
    the reviews do seem to miss the mark. Especially
    with certain vehicle types, biases really show.

For example, I've noticed many of Edmunds'
    reviewers focus on what the "office staff" says or
    thinks. ;-) The problem with that, is it seems
    (through remarks I've read) that most of the
    Edmunds staff drive suvs, and other more popular vehicle types; and they're very removed from most van owners need and want.

But to add, the Eurovan is not going to appeal to
    the your typical van owner. The Eurovan is a
    specialty van for really laid back folks that love
    camping and road travel.

I will give Edmunds' reviewer (Christian Wardlock)
    credit for at least acknowledging the van "will
    appeal to many outdoorsy types who love camping..." Too bad he doesn't elaborate more on van in this respect.

Yes, it's good to hear about engine, handling, and
    etc..., but it would be nice if one of Edmund's
    staff members had taken this van out (with his
    family) on at least one weekend camping/road trip,
    to give us some real useful information. For
    example how easy does the tent set up, is the bed comfortable..., and other target market user functions?

Although, I suppose if the Edmund's staffers are
    not the camper types..., then the review would have been also been tainted with a bad camping
    experience. ;-)

My older brother (38, medical doctor) bought the
    VW Eurovan for one main reason, so he could take
    his family of 4 camping, as much as possible. For
    him, camping is not just an occasional recreation,
    it's a major part of his lifestyle.

He also wanted a van that could fulfill his
    everyday commuting needs. This van will also appeal to middle age empty nesters, or retired couples, that want to take some time to hit the road, see the sights, but still need a van for basic at home transportation.

The Eurovan is not going to be appreciated by those just going to/fro the office... a good portion of mainstream America has an ongoing love affair with camping and road travel, and is reaching retirement age, so possibly that this van just might make a small dent in the market.

Now with that in mind, I still don't think the VW
    Eurorvan is perfect by any means; there's plenty criticize... However, since there's not many other vans on the market that has a tent sticking out of the top and a table & bed in the back, this laid back target market is probably going to be more forgiving, than most other van owners, about the misses.

Anyway, in closing, I'd also like to add I do
    enjoy the edmunds sight a lot. (Hope I havn't
    ticked off the review staff too much.) I appreciate much of the information here including many of their informative reviews. ;-)
    Poco,

You make good points, definitely agree. The vehicle will definitely have a niche market. I like the fact that they are unique. I love the height and oddness of it.

Last year, I was poking around looking at used 1993 models. Almost all had rust problems which struck me as odd. Also, parts costs are supposedly very high.

I hope VW has rectified the above two problems, but we won't know for a while, now will we? I still think $30k for the base MSRP is probably its greatest flaw. The Euro is plain expensive!
    You are very right about cheap conversion vans. I do think you can get them down at under $25k which makes them downright comparable to minivans. They are a really good deal if you can get one that is tastefully done up. I sat in one at a recent car show with some friends and we just started laughing, it was so much fun. Of course, high top models won't fit in my garage.

Here's a guess, but it wouldn't surprize me to see VW pull out a 2001 model New MicroBus (make it a Synchro while I'm dreaming) and price it right (say $20-25k). That would be very cool. Of course, Chrysler has the PT Cruiser coming soon.....
  • tgnoffotgnoffo Member Posts: 1
    I own a '93 Eurovan and found myself in agreement with much of the Edmund's critique. Still, to suggest it lacks leg and foot room makes me wonder about the reviewer's anatomy. I'm 6'7" and have driven the van cross country twice -- I can't imagine a more comfortable vehicle for such a journey. Someone whose feet hit the brake pedal when stepping on the gas must have very big dogs, indeed.

Also, it may be boxy, but man can it haul a lot of stuff. Just this past weekend I used it to bring home a full-size sleep-sofa and new bathroom vanity -- without having to remove any of the seats.

Still, I too hope for a redesign (yes, Quattro would be nice) by the time I get ready to retire my well-used and well-loved Eurovan MV.
    What conversion vans would anyone recommend looking at as an alternative to the Eurovan camper? Would need to be "pop top" as at 6'6" I want to be able to standup in it when parked at a campsite. The fixed high top vans don't appeal to me. So, who is making a "pop top" in a van other than VW? Thanks.
  • ciccw378ciccw378 Member Posts: 1
    French-speaking (try to do my best), owner of 1992 Euro genuine Westfalia camper, originally bought in Austria on CDN specs. 132 000 km experienced. 7 Québec winters if you see. Much camping and all around use, year-long (skiing and all). Still immaculate. Body seam rear driver side needs attention for rust; the filling putty used was to rigid after cure, got thinly cracked thus permitting humidity to penetrate; saw a change for soft filling of the seam on recent versions of the Transporter (commercial van widely spread in Québec). Else: built like a tank. Oil spray yearly under body and in all enclosed areas (65$ CAN) and forget rust. Driving position is outstanding to me on long-courrier use; adjusable elbow rests, panoramic visibility and the unique asymetric lateral rear-view mirrors do the job. Cruise-control and... cross your legs. I have the 5-cid gazoline engine: a little weak shure, so what; gives me 12-12,5 l./100km or +- 24-25 mpCg? (we don't use the english measure system any more). I'm not in a rush, even when heading to the office I feel like on a vacation. With a 1 ton loading capacity, the basic version of this vehicle should never be classified with car-chassis based minivans or compared to those. It is best matched with Econoline Fords or such. Edmund's columnist comment on the 1999 bus version is that it still feels as a truck; no wonder, it is a truck. It is widely used as an ambulance in Europe (thanks to the cargo capacity). A truck with car handling and response. Sorry, I'm happy and will stay happy as I am for another 7 years for shure. Boxy looks? Who cares? With a CX of .36 it still stands ahead of many bulby space-wasting competition. I don't care. Looks? All I get is jealous looks when I have lunch in the ski resort's parking lot, pop-top up, warming my boots on the heater, having a hot meal from the stove... and a glass of cold white wine from the fridge, away from the chaos of the cafeteria. Of course, nothing's perfect. We also own a Volvo sedan (940) which shows a better body assembly and a lower maintenance cost. On the average, my Eurovan has cost me 1 500$ CAN yearly for repair and very thourough maintenance (tires, etc..). Personal attention like paint chips repair (road gravel), waxing, etc.. is always a good idea. For a cottage on wheels, it's not so bad after all. Finally, I draw your attention on the existence of the "Club international de camping-car Westfalia (Québec)" which has over 1000 members that share tips of all kinds and lots of fun. There is a scarce but practical english summary in the Club's newspaper and the Website is
    Westfalia, Club internationa...
    Adresse(s) d'email :
    ciccwq@megantic.net

Au revoir!