Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

European Delivery Experiences, Advice and Info

Comments

• sandeep5sandeep5 Member Posts: 15
    Anybody have any experience with the eurobuyers.com website with or without ED?
  • sandeep5sandeep5 Member Posts: 15
  • ger3sfger3sf Member Posts: 29
    Are the posted ED prices for Mercedes Benz non-negotiable? If they are negotiable, what's a reasonable discount? Thanks.
  • aukemaaukema Member Posts: 19
    I am interested in a reasonable negotiable ED price on a x3 3.0i for a June delivery date. Below is the invoice and MSRP prices with the options.
                   INVOICE MSRP
    BASE $30,720 $33,760
    Prem Pack 3,005 3,300
    Xenon 730 800
    Paint 430 475
    Glass 320 350
    Delivery 695 695

What premium over invoice? If local dealers won't negotiate can I order out-of-state and still have it delivered to my home town? Has anyone used out-of-state dealers? Any downside? Thanks
  • wibblewibble Member Posts: 569
    As per title. Thanks!
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    I'm trying to send someone over here from the XC90 discussion who wants to do Euro delivery.

kirstie_h
    Roving Host & Future Vehicles Host

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• wibblewibble Member Posts: 569
    I used to work for Volvo in Sweden and the Netherlands sosend 'em on over!
  • scooterzscooterz Member Posts: 20
    Hi Wibble - since you mentioned you used to work for Volvo in Sweden, maybe you can help...
    I am thinking about using the expat program (TDS) from Volvo for a new S40 since I am currently living in Denmark and will be returning to the US within a year. So, here are a couple of questions...
    Can I extend the car stay in Europe past 6 months, say on a month to month basis after the first 6 months?
    Also, is there any negotiation room in the Expat price, say for options or accessories?
    Thanks for your help in advance.
  • jdmjpowelljdmjpowell Member Posts: 1
    I am interested in the OSD program for the 2005 XC90. Can you tell me more about taxes or saving on taxes? Does Volvo only discount on the base price, but all options are at the non-negotiable MSRP?

Any info would be much appreciated!
  • cassidymcassidym Member Posts: 108
    I just bought a BMW 545 through the European Delivery program. The salesman I ultimately bought from told me that ED would lower the MSRP by $5000 and we negotiated from there. I got another $2000 off by using the invoice pricing I had obtained from Edmunds and bargaining with that. Then, I traded him my feeble old 1986 325 for the HUD upgrade.

I also negotiated with another salesman from a different dealer and when I asked him how much I would save off the price of the same car if I used European Delivery, he hesitated for a second then said I save $3000. I wished him a good day and left.

Delivery in Munich went off flawlessly and I recommend it to anyone especially if you intend to vacation in Europe. I didn't use my car on the vacation because I was reluctant to drive it around the French Riviera which was our destination. One look at their driving practices convinced me I'd made the right decision. Also, I needed the car back in the US as soon as possible

The dealer I bought from mentioned nothing about tariffs or any other charges.
  • aeaneasaeaneas Member Posts: 2
    I'm interested in buying an S40 Volvo 2005 model. I have several questions.

I understand the details of the OSD program. It sounds good.

My questions are:

1) Is the OSD price negotiable?

2) I heard the price is reduced by 8% off Retail -- is that correct?

3) Can you lease an OSD car?

4) Will dealers attempt to take additional profit during the process of buying an OSD car by inserting fees, dealer installed parts, etc?

5) What "hidden costs" are there? Docking fees? Local taxes? Anything else?

6) this one's for fun -- what did any of you OSDers pay in total gax prices on one of your two week trips? :-)

Thanks in advance!
  • costascostas Member Posts: 1
    Dealer Cost?

A flat is paid to the Dealer.
  • kasumikasumi Member Posts: 3
    I am interested in this to for a Volvo S80 - based on Volvo's pricing on their website the model I want with some extras is pricing at $36650 about $1000 below invoice. I see Volvo has some incentives- can I use these to get the car down much more?

Thanks-

K.
  • neednewtoyneednewtoy Member Posts: 1
    I'm considering buying a new Volvo S60R and getting it through Volvo's European Delivery Program. Obviously Edmund's True Market value isn't going to be of much use in my negotiating. Does anyone know if there are deals to be made on the price, even though it's much lower than the normal MSRP? What arguments can I use with the salesperson?
  • robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    OSD prices are fixed. The dealer gets a small fee from Volvo to process the sale but unless they are willing to give that up, you won't find a discount on OSD.

Sometimes Volvo might toss in something extra if they have prebuilt OSD vehicles ready to go.
  • electrictroyelectrictroy Member Posts: 564
    troy
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,517
    No. It has to be a car that is sold here. When you do Euro delivery, you are getting the exact same US model that you would get at the dealer. basically, you just get to use it over there before they put it on the boat and ship it over here!

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• parzamparzam Member Posts: 1
    Can anyone comment on making a ED in mid Dec or Jan (winter)? Any and all thoughts are appreciated, pro and con.
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,517
    get heated seats. I would also avoid Volvo unless you like the dark.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• saigonboi21saigonboi21 Member Posts: 150
    i am new to this forum- im looking to buy a new bmw within a month or so. I was wondering if anyone ehre can tell me how much i can get a 2006 325i with Premium, Xenon, and Auto for. I 've read about european delivery but am not sure if it would help that much. thanks
  • sadone1sadone1 Member Posts: 1
    In May 2004, I took European delivery of a new 911 GT3. I paid $2250 to Porsche Factory for this great experiance. And my Wife and I wanted to see the area in Germany where this beautiful car is built. Well Porsche decided that after I paid them all this money up front that they would take my car out and put some hard miles on my new car. After I dropped the car off at the Factory in Stuttgart for final shipment to my dealer for me to take U.S. delivery, they drove my car a grueling 132 miles to see how good it runs on the Autobahn or maybe they took it to the track, who knows. The European delivery person told me that she was sorry. Porsche has never offered anything to me, in the past year, for the agravation this extra addition of miles has had on me. And by the way the millions of bugs they killed when driving the car were still on the car.
    And by the way the millions of bugs they killed when driving the car were still on the car.

Hmm - that's interesting. I know that Volvo requires that you drop off a clean car when doing Euro delivery so they can wrap it in plastic. Perhaps the miles were put on here in the US?
  • dino001dino001 Member Posts: 6,165
    2) Automobiles in Western Europe tend to be 30% cheaper than they are in the U.S., with the exception of in the U.K.

I don't know where you got this info. Cars in Europe are way more expensive than in US. It varies from brand to brand. There may be appearance of lower price just because engine trims (they sell small 4 cylinders there, anything bigger is uncommon) and equipment standard in US is optional. I cannot speak for all Europe, but I checked my home country and e.g. Volvo S40 2.4i ($25K-30) was close to $40K for similar config. Same with VW, same with Saab. BMW and MB had smaller difference, generally for higher models, the difference (in percent) was smaller.

2018 430i Gran Coupe

• 530ir1150r530ir1150r Member Posts: 263
    We purchased a 2002 BMW 530i, Sport Package, 5 speed through BMW's European Delivery Program. Delivered on July 4, 2002. This July 6th we will take delivery of a 2005 Saab 9-3 Arc Convertible; July 4th did not work with our travel schedule.

BMWs are discounted 7% of the base price(not options), but include insurance; Saab 9-3 Arc Convertibles are discounted over 11% (including options)plus $2000 travel reimbursement; insurance is purchased separately. Advantage-Saab.

BMW meets you at their gate and walks you into their Delivery Center. Saab meets you at the train station, ferry terminal or airport in Gothenburg, chaeuffurs you to Romman Inn, pays for a 3 course dinner, pays for your room and chaeuffurs you to their Delivery Center in the morning. Saab's Delivery Center has to be very terrible not to be Advantage-Saab.

BMW's sticker is negotiable. Saab's is a factory program run by their North American Distributor. Advantage-BMW.

After we return I will add to this concerning delivery experience(BMW's is excellent), car condition(BMW was detailed perfectly and had a full tank of gas and 1.6 miles on the odometer, 1.9 on the trip odometer), drop off experience(Harms in London was seamless) and later delivery time(BMW arrived in Paducah, Ky 40 days after drop off) and car condition(again detailed perfectly and with a full tank of gas).

I would not trade my BMW for anything today. I hope the Saab experience continues to better BMW's. The only problem so far is GM's Employee Pricing Program. There is very little difference with list prices now and resale will be impacted forever. This is the 4th time I've been GMed.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,830
    You are doing ED on your Saab convertible? Is that in Trollhattan?

Did you do the deal in Lexington? Blackhorse?

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

Picking up in Trollhattan, dropping off in Gothenburg via Oslo, Lillehammer, Svag(?), Upsalla, Visby, Copenhagen and Skagen.

Quantrell Cadillac, Volvo, Hummer has had the Saab franchise for about a year. Ours is there first ED sale. Our saleslady actually works Volvos, but handles all of their EDs. She said Saab was much better to work with than Volvo.

I'm hoping Swedish and Danish beaches with a Saab Convertible are just as nice as Switzerland with a BMW.
    Wow... sounds cool...

My family always bought their Caddys from Quantrell.. I grew up a stone's throw from there....

Danish beaches.. hhmmmm....

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

We're starting to get antsy, we leave Friday. Tourist information from Denmark indicated that all Danish beaches are clothing optional. I do not know if that is a good thing or scary.

Skagen sounds like the Danish Key West. Our only concern is sleeping with 20 hours or more of daylight.
    Clothing optional...

If I'm looking.. it's good

If I'm participating... It's not so good... :surprise:

I find drinking heavily helps me fall asleep... no matter what it looks like outside.. ;)

Sounds like a great time... and getting a new droptop won't hurt, either...

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

I'm not so sure that looking is always good. Local wines and beers are always part of cultural investigations, though, which might help some looking.
    Continuation of #176

Delivery experience. Saab provides transportation to the delivery center which is a Saab Dealer in Trollhattan. The car is under cover in a large garage area. We forgot to look at the Saab store for individual items. Saab provided a very good European Road Atlas and gave us a Saab key ring. Time in and out was less than an hour. Draw with BMW.

Car condition at delivery. Car was detailed perfectly, but only had 3/4 tank of gas and had 1.3 miles on the trip odometer. Advantage BMW

I expect the car to be delivered in excellent condition in 6-8 weeks. Saab's overall experience is better than BMW's, but the difference is not enough to determine which car to purchase. Also, restaurants we found in Sweden, Norway and Denmark were better than the restaurants we found in Germany, Switzerland, France, Ireland and England 3 years ago.
  • officecubedofficecubed Member Posts: 6
    It was stated in a message that BMWs are discounted 7% for the ED program, but the message also said that the sticker is negotiable.

Does this mean that I can do better than the 7%?

Thanks, JEFF
    Yes. Our 530i was discounted another $1000. Others here have talked about $1000 to $1500 over invoice depending on model.
    Continuation of #183

We pick up our Saab 9-3 Convertible this evening, 2 weeks ahead of schedule.
  • avatexrs1avatexrs1 Member Posts: 63
    Does Volvo limit the varieties of its cars available for European delivery? Its website currently lists just about all of its models as being available. It also says the new C70 convertible is scheduled to come out next Spring, and my guess is that it will be probably be selling at MSRP or higher when it comes out. Anybody know whether that kind of car is one that would be available for European delivery?
  • vsaxenavsaxena Member Posts: 211
    Volvo has incentives these days to move their cars. If I go via Volvo Euro Delivery do I get the incentives also? From what I have heard, unlike BMW, Volvo does not publish an invoice price for Euro Delivery. They give the dealer a certain amount (the number quoted is 5%, though I do not know). Have folks had any luck in getting the dealer to split this difference. 5% on a $40K car is a generous chunk :).
    The incentives are not available on Euro Delivery. The Euro Delivery program gets you a price of about 8% under base MSRP and the options/packages are MSRP. You also get the 2 free round trip tickets and the one night hotel stay.

My understanding is the dealer gets a couple hundred dollars for processing the order and prepping the vehicle in the states. If the dealer were getting 5% per vehicle, they'd make more money doing Euro deliveries than selling from inventory.

The vehicle will most likely cost you less money buying off the lot with the various incentives. The Euro Delivery bonus is the trip and a decent price on the car.

Go to www.flyvolvo.com and poke around. You'll see pricing there.
  • c_yac_ya Member Posts: 1
    I can, it will be cold. HOW cold, depends on where you are picking it up. Both Scandinavia and Germany are cold in the winter. Make sure you get heated seats. Both areas have great Christmas and New Years events. Much better than in US. Europeans are not afraid of the cold. Similar to the Quebec Ice Sculpture Festival, some of the towns have great activities and things to do in the winter. Much better way to spend Christmas and New Years than in US.
  • rdubsrdubs Member Posts: 11
    Hi ger3sf,
    I have exactly the same question. Anyone know if the ED discount for Mercedes applies in addition to the price you can negotiate the dealer down to, or is it strictly from the MSRP, no more lower price? Looking at a 2006 CLK350.
    Thanks in advance.
  • strato435strato435 Member Posts: 14
    Hi, I'm interested in getting a VW for European Delivery. Does anyone know if there are any such programs?

I'd like to get either a diesel Jetta or a diesel Passat. Unfortunately, there are no diesel Jettas in stock in the US now -- perhaps given to the rising gas prices after Katrina. And VW has oddly decided not to sell the new Passat with a diesel engine at least until 2007 (according to my local dealer) :confuse:

- Frank
    VW does not offer a European delivery program. Especially since the Jetta is made in Mexico for the US market.

I think VW isn't offering the diesel Passat until 2007 because of the impending implementation of low sulphur diesel in the US.
  • 2004v702004v70 Member Posts: 1
    We picked up our 2004 Volvo V70 in July of 2003. This was the second Volvo we ordered through ED and both experiences were great.

Note that there are a few differences on what options you can get. We bought through Don Beyer Volvo in Alexandria, VA. They had cars in inventory, but did not have any which had the options we wanted. With ED, we could order exactly what we wanted. We wanted automatic leveling (which is great feature), and very few Volvos wagons in the US have that, and you could not order one for US delivery with it. It would have had to have been a dealer install, which we were not keen of the dealer doing it, and there would have been allot of labor added to the cost (which is not reflected below) Another issue was we wanted a trailer hitch installed, but they would not install on ED, so we had to have dealer install it. We were OK with that since it was just a trailer hitch.

Below is a breakdown of what we ordered, with a total savings on just the cost of the car being $3,781, plus we had to pay a little extra for the Bremerhaven drop off and ferry from Sweden. Then we also had a total savings from Volvo of $5,727 for the trip.

As soon as the new 2006 C70 is availabe for ED, I will buy it.....

-----

2004 Volvo V70

(note that the first price is the Price US, which is what we would have paid if purchased through a dealer, the second is what we actually paid through Volvo TDS).

Item Price US Price TDS Remarks
    Base Price 28460 26750
    Destination Fee 685 Included
    Metallic Paint 450 Included
    Premium Package 2995 2995
    Mimas 16” Wheels 500 500
    Automatic Transmission 1000 Included
    Leveling System 495 495 Would be much more on US version
    12 Volt Cargo Area 25 25
    Touch Up Paint 5 5
    Front Fog Lights 179 225
    Mud Flaps Front 24 70
    Mud Flaps Rear 35 70
    Floor Mats Rubber 139 55
    Cargo Mat Reversible 80 80
    CD Changer 612 695
    Spoiler Rear 309 350
    Protection Net Steel 265 200
    Load Carrier Square 138 100
    Security Film Side Windows 300 300
    SUBTOTAL $ 36,696 $ 32,915
    Shipping from Frankfurt N/A $220 Free if shipped from Bremerhaven
    Ferry from Sweden to Germany N/A $300.00

Savings – Paid for by Volvo
    2 Round Trip Tickets - SAS N/A 3000 Upgrade to Bus if Prem Exec
    1 Night Radisson Hotel N/A 145
    Limo from Airport to Factory N/A 15
    Lunch for 2 at Factory N/A 20
    15 days European Insurance N/A 200
    Shipping of car to Baltimore N/A 1500
    Cell Phone for 7 Days N/A 35
    Customs Duty N/A 812.70
    Total 5727
    We have also had 2 ED experiences (2002 BMW 530i and 2005 Saab Arc convertible), but there is one detail you have not considered. You know what you paid for your Volvo. You do not know what you would have paid for an US delivered model. A typical discount on Volvos is near 10% which would be over $3000 off your savings. Also, having your own car in Europe eliminates other transportation costs, adding to your savings.

We intend to do a third ED, but unless you want to vacation in Europe, it really is not worth the extra hassle. It takes approximately 6 months from initial order till final US delivery.
  • joshwalljoshwall Member Posts: 1
    I'm a broke soon to be graduated graduate student and my wife and I would love to take a trip through europe and we need a car. However, given my lack of present income and he mediocre income I don't think we are in the market for a BMW, or Saab at present. VW would be possible but from everything I know they killed the ED program, are there any other manufactures that have more.... ahem... budgetary considerations? Thanks!
  • munrokickermunrokicker Member Posts: 2
    Does anyone know where I can obtain invoice prices for both Volvo and BMW cars?
  • shibs1031shibs1031 Member Posts: 3
    If you had the option between purchasing a volvo in the US or purchasing the car on the oversea delivery plan, which one would you choose? and why? Are the savings worth the trip?
    If money is your only criteria, buy the car here. With Volvos and Saabs it is hard to compare because the discounts on cars here are much larger than discounts on ED, if any.

The real savings is if you are planning a European vacation. You are driving your car instead of renting, you are on your schedule and you see and do what you want to see and do.

Another thing to keep in mind, buying a car on ED is a 6 month process;shop, order the car 3 months before delivery, pay for the car 1 month before delivery, vacation for 1-2 weeks and delivery at home 6 weeks after drop off in Europe. Also, if financing or leasing you may make 2 payments before your car arrives here.

We did a ED on a 2005 Saab 9-3 Convertible last summer and on a 2002 BMW 530i and we believe if you are planning to buy a European car and plan to vacation in Europe, combining the two is the only way to go.
  • historikerhistoriker Member Posts: 1
    I had to be 3 mos. in Germany last spring, and when I checked car rental prices decided buying a car was a better deal. I got a Mercedes station wagon through their website, which included an 8% discount (I assume from list), 30 days of insurance, transport from Germany to the local dealer in the U.S., hotel for a night in Stuttgart, taxi to the factory, and lunch there. The whole process was absolutely painless, and we sure preferred a roomy station wagon to a small rental car for an obscene number of $1000s. BMW also offered the same discount and amenities plus two round-trip tickets to Germany and back, but they required a six-week notice, and I did not have time enough to go that route.

I am returning to Germany in the fall for another three months, and I am trying to figure out the best deal for transportation again. Renting a car is a possibility, of course, and I have also thought about another factory delivery and selling the new Mercedes before I leave the U.S. I am considering Mercedes again, but I have also thought about BMW and Porsche from the factory. I know Volvo has a European delivery program, but dealing with Sweden seems like quite a hassle for someone who is going to be in Germany. Besides, I had a Volvo some years ago, and it was, quite frankly, a pretty lousy car with a lot of cheap plastic parts that did not perform very well.

Does anyone have any advice about how to determine the best deal for getting three months of cost-effective transportation in Germany next fall (Sept., Oct., Nov.)?
  • rroyce10rroyce10 Member Posts: 9,332
    ... **Does anyone have any advice about how to determine the best deal for getting three months of cost-effective transportation in Germany next fall (Sept., Oct., Nov.)? ..**

Check with Mathias ......

Terry.
  • steine13steine13 Member Posts: 2,818
    Well, I'm here... but I don't know much about buying cars in Germany... never done it myself.

Euro delivery can make sense for you, but the exchange rate is not your friend at the moment. IF you want a Mercedes [Porsche, BMW] anyway, then go for it, but by the time you add the friction costs of reselling, paying sales tax at home et cetera, I think you might as well rent a small car... sticks are cheaper :-)

Of course, buying an older jalopy is an excellent exercise for your German abilities... I suspect that even there, the car people have a language all their own. You know "needs fixed... runs good... fresh V8... does have rust" -- that sort of thing.

Now if my old man will finally go and buy an A4 this fall, you're welcome to his '95 Ford Mondeo wagon with automatic for a pittance, I'm sure...

Viel Glueck,
    -Mathias
This discussion has been closed.