Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

European Delivery Experiences, Advice and Info

CarMan@EdmundsCarMan@Edmunds Member Posts: 38,514
edited March 2014 in Mercedes-Benz
In the past, I have seen several posts in the
Smart Shopper's Conference requesting information
on purchasing cars with European Delivery.
European Delivery is a neat way to purchase a car
if you have the time and are planning to visit
Europe. It will save you money on your purchase
and you will have a vehicle to drive around when
you are on vacation. Recently I came across an
interesting article in the New York Times that
details current Euro Delivery plans offered by
several manufacturers. Here are some of the offers
that are currently available:

Last year BMW sold 1,256 cars through Euro
Delivery. This is by far the most popular program
among the manufacturers that offer this option.
Customer savings on vehicles ranged from $2,160 on
a 318ti to $10,835 for a 720iL. The program
includes 30 days insurance and temporary
registration.

Last year Mercedes-Benz sold 906 cars through
European Delivery. To give you some idea of the
savings provided through this program, customers
saved $1,500 on a C230. As a perk, Mercedes throws
in 2 nights in a hotel, 2 weeks insurance and
registration, and a free factory tour.

Porsche does not offer any savings for purchasing
a vehicle through Euro Delivery. In fact, they
charge customers a $2,250 fee for the program.
Porsche throws in a factory tour, 2 weeks
insurance, and 30 day registration.

Last year Volvo sold 930 cars through Euro
Delivery. The savings varies widely in Volvo's
program, from $0 on a C70 Coupe to $4,000 for a V70
R 4WD. As an added bonus, Volvo throws in one
round-trip coach airline ticket, and one night in a
hotel.

Last year Saab sold 129 cars through European
Delivery. Savings ranges from $1,825 on a 9-3
three door to $2,625 on a 9-3 Convertible. Through
May 31st, Saab is offering two round-trip coach
airline tickets, airport pickup, one night in a
hotel, dinner, and shuttle to the vehicle delivery
center at no extra charge.

Last year Jaguar only sold 4 units through
European Delivery! Obviously this is not a very
popular program. Savings through this program
average 2.5% of the car's retail price. However,
these savings are offset by customer fees for
marine freight, insurance, and customs duties.
Jaguar offers a free factory tour to European
Delivery customers.

Comments

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    With marine freight for a solo car in a container running around $2,500 - $3,000 (Bremerhaven to West Coast USA), it seems that the European delivery plan works best for the more expensive cars. Of course, you do get to drive a nice car throughout Europe, so that's also a consideration.
    I was surprised about cheapskate Porsche, though. Money must still be tight with them.
  • vwagnervwagner Member Posts: 1
    A friend just bought a BMW on the European delivery program. BMW pays the freight and provides 30 days of European insurance. The buyer still pays the tarrif, but should come out well ahead given the 10+ percent discount off domestic prices. Basically, for a $40,000 car, it paid for the European vacation.
    Yeah, I think at the $40K level, the European plans do make sense, but in the high $20Ks, I'm not so sure.
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    Hey Carman & Mr. Shiftright!

jrthomas posted the following in Station Wagons and I knew there would be a more appropriate topic here in Smart Shopper for him!

KarenS/Station Wagons Host

#0 of 0: (jrthomas) Tue 09 Jun '98 (11:57 AM)

Does anyone have experience with overseas delivery of European automobiles ?

I'm interested in picking up a Volvo AWD in Europe. The Volvo brochure says that it must be arranged through a dealer, and gives the prices, which are actually lower than Dealer Invoice in the U.S.

My question is this: can one bargain with the dealer on the European Delivery price, or is that not negotiable ?
    It is my understanding that you cannot bargain with a dealer on the European Delivery Plan, since this is all set up and locked in by the factory, and there are probably set fees to the dealer which he/she isn't going to bargain away...not enough meat on the bone for everyone.
  • bill7bill7 Member Posts: 4
    Shiftright, I'm sure I've seen varying prices
    on BMW Euro deliveries; certain agressive
    places advertise prices in a club magazine,
    the Roundel.

I have a question about Euro deliveries; can
    you arrange it with any dealer in the U.S.,
    regardless of location? Does it matter if
    you arrange the E.D. with a dealer across
    the country from where you want the car
    ultimately shipped?

And when the car *is* finally shipped to the
    U.S., who does it go to? Local dealer?

(Always looking for a way to cut those Bay
    Area BMW dealers out of my business...)
  • biabia Member Posts: 1
    A word of warning. Be sure to pay your luxury tax on cars purchased under the European delivery plan. The IRS started issuing subpoenas to get records from the automakers and were successful in at least one case (don't remember which, BMW or Mercedes). Very few people were paying those taxes!

I'm curious about the break-in period on such a car. Does the factory do it for you? I can't imagine being able to resist temptation to go fast on the Autobahn (part of the appeal of the program, no?). I had a hard enough time restraining myself to under 65 while breaking in my car.
    Dear Bia,

One doesn't much have to "break in" modern cars anymore, just exercise some common sense for a few hundred miles...I'd keep it out of the extreme RPM ranges (redline) and I'd vary speeds considerably. But if you're turning 4000 rpm and that translates into 100 mph, that's okay by me...I'd just vary the RPMs a lot for a few days, and give the engine different loads and heat ranges.

As for the European delivery questions, I'd ask the Roundel advertisers what they are up to--some of them may have special deals with the factory, I don't know, or come up with their own imaginative promotion deals. My impression has always been that the deals on European delivery were pretty tight...but maybe someone has a different read on that?
  • sirplbsirplb Member Posts: 1
    I too am curious about finding information about ED,a VW Eurovan in particular, which dealers, etc. . . .
  • CarMan@EdmundsCarMan@Edmunds Member Posts: 38,514
    I came across a press release from Mercedes the other day that I thought people who are looking for information about European Delivery may be interested in. Here is a section of the release:

Mercedes-Benz of North America, Inc. announced a milestone in its new interactive retail initiative: European Delivery on the World Wide Web. Customers visiting MBNA's corporate Web site, www.MBUSA.com , can obtain information about the European Delivery Program (EDP) Online, configure a 1999 Mercedes-Benz model, explore and plan a trip abroad, and even place an order online.

"Our European Delivery Program is extremely popular. Since it started in 1964, more than 100,000 vehicles have been sold. We put European Delivery online to take it to the next step: virtual one-stop shopping for those who want to combine a European vacation with the purchase of a new Mercedes," said Joe Eberhardt, vice president of marketing for MBNA.

EDP Online allows customers and prospects to get information about the program, put together different color and option combinations on any Mercedes model using one of the most advanced vehicle configurators on the Web, place an order for pick-up at the Mercedes-Benz factory in Sindelfingen, Germany, and then retrieve the vehicle at their designated local U.S. Mercedes-Benz dealer in the United States.

When arranging to purchase a Mercedes-Benz through European Delivery Online, users can also plan for travel abroad. EDP includes taxi vouchers; two nights for two at a choice of selected first-class hotels; a tour and a meal at the factory; 15 days' of fall European car insurance coverage with no deductible; U.S. Customs duty and home shipment of the vehicle....

Your Co-Host
    And here's the link to the VW homepage:

http://www3.vw.com/index7.htm
  • kimtkimt Member Posts: 9
    I'm Interested in buying a new Mercedes E320 through European Delivery...

Has any one been through this?

Was it worth the time and effort?

Did you save any money or did you just get a paid vacation out of the deal?

I know Mercedes offers 2 nights hotel and a few other goodies but you still have to pay air fare and who wants to go all the way to Germany and only spend 2 nights. Seems like you need a week or 2.
  • pwilfredpwilfred Member Posts: 3
    I am interested in buying a new 323i and the European Delivery program seems like a good option based on the information on the BMW website. They say you save about $1850 on the MSRP of the car. If this price is not negotiable, I fail to see how it is cheaper??
    I also noticed one of the posts mentioning that the buyer pays a "tariff". Does anyone know if this is true and how much it runs? The info on the BMW web site does not mention any additional costs.
    Just curious....
  • omar2omar2 Member Posts: 12
    I think you're right about price, you can get as good a price at the local dealer. If you save any money, it's from being able to use a car that would rent for $200/day.
  • rrajaretrrajaret Member Posts: 1
    Well actually you caan negotiate the price with the dealer and you get GOOD savings - even for a 20+K car(may be upto 15%). These cars are not part of dealer's quota nad they act like 'agents' so all they lose is the few minutes they spend with you and they do get about 3 or 4 % of the price of the car. I am ASSUMING that there is some tax or quota loophole for the car manufacturer (they import and sell to you in US vs you buy and bring as an individual). Tourists can 'import' or buy when they go abroad and they will ship to you, things like furniture carpets etc and save money- it is actually true with furniture - you can cross the border to canada buy some and they will ship them to you. It is cheaper than calling the same store and ordering by phone (Some times you can do that but also send a letter saying that please ship the stuff I bought during my trip....). I did not understand the savings at first also, I am gonna buy a bmw soon and I will let you know. But in the mean time if you go and buy something on your own, in the streets it will NOT be cheaper as you pay the local duty and local taxes(a seiko watch is more expensive in Japan than in US).
    I will update when I findout.
    rp
    Just learned Mercedes has added the CLK320 and SLK230 to European delivery. The dealer thought you could halve the wait time on a CLK going for European delivery.
  • dl7265dl7265 Member Posts: 1,381
    Did you get the euro-delivery ,if so were you able to get the 15% off ??
    This is a long-shot, but would appreciate any feedback on the hotels in the MB European delivery program. Particularly the Stuttgart Intercontinental, Schlosshotel Lisl, Hoenschwangau and Interalpen Hotel Tyrol.
    Thanks
  • dl7265dl7265 Member Posts: 1,381
    dido
  • rstefrstef Member Posts: 5
    I'm interested in the opposite trick:
    I'm going to transfer back to Italy in six months, and since VW and Audis are way cheaper here, I was thinking about buying one through Euro delivery and then keeping it there...
    Does anybody has a clue about this option?
    I'm not sure you can do this. My purchase order from Mercedes says I agree to import the car to the US. In any case, VW/Audi doesn't have a European delivery program.
  • dranoeldranoel Member Posts: 79
    omar2
    The Intercontinental in Stuttgart is a great hotel. Stayed there before I picked up my MB C-230 K last Sept.. The second night stayed at Buhl, also a great hotel. The factory delivery program is flawless, I highly recommend it, and no I don't work for MB. Dranoel
    Dranoel,
    Thanks for the input. We thought about picking up the car the same day and driving into the country, but Stuttgart is meant to be a nice city. Plus, the factory tours in the AM are more intimate, they're for customers only.
    omar2,
    You'll get a laugh when the factory people tell you to keep your car under 160 KPH (100 MPH) for the first 1000 miles. Can you imagine a US manufacturer or dealer telling you that ? We were in Europe for 6 weeks and had the opportunity to put on over 3300 miles on the C-230 K, and yes, we did run it on the Autobahn at well over 100 MPH and it ran extremely well.. If you travel under 90 MPH, you better be in the extreme left lane or you will be blown away.
    Dranoel
    omar2
    Oops ! On post 26 change extreme left lane to right lane on the 3rd line from the bottom--Sorry.
    dranoel
  • dkatlantadkatlanta Member Posts: 23
    I'm contemplating ordering a BMW 5 series for European Delivery and would like to negotiate the best price possible. Does anyone know where I can find the "dealer cost" for a European Delivery car and accessories?
    dkatlanta,
    I tried to find dealer cost last year when I took delivery of a MB 230 K at the factory.------no luck--prior to that I tried to get the BMW numbers--no luck either. I believe the dealers get small commision from the factory. I've never heard of anyone negotiating a lower price than the stated price for factory deliveries.
    But it never hurts to try--good luck
    dranoel,

Thanks for the information! As it turns out, my BMW salesman has offered a $1,000 discount on the European Delivery price. I don't think I can complain.
    dkatlanta,
    Congratulations ! I had to pay full list for my MB last summer.
    You tried--and you won--maybe this is a coming trend--------dranoel
  • fronobulaxfronobulax Member Posts: 23
    rstef,
    According to the San Jose Mercury News, I was wrong in post 23, VW/Audi does have a European delivery program (Jaguar, too). But I wouldn't call that a reliable source, check with a dealer.

dranoel.
    Thanks for the advice on driving the Autobahn. I've driven it before and know that when some guy in an S500 comes roaring by you at 160 mph you feel like cowering under the dash board.

Dkatlanta,
    Do you know if you are actually buying the car from BMW Germany or from your dealer. Just curious how your dealer can offer a discount. MB dealers can't discount because you are buying the car from MB in Germany and the dealer is getting a commission.

Oh, if this is confusing, I used to be Omar2 before I was killed off by the myterious Edumunds log in system.
    fronobulax,

I haven't seen much paperwork yet, so I'm not certain how the formal transaction differs from a typical sale. The salesman mentioned that the "certificate of origin" will be in my name when the vehicle enters the US. My guess is that I'm dealing directly with BMW, but that the dealership's commission is large enough to permit the "discount."
  • markjennmarkjenn Member Posts: 1,142
    I'm interested in European Delivery of a BMW 323i or 328i. I read everything on the BMW web site and called five BMW dealers in WA state today. As usual they all had slightly different stories:

4 out of 5 said that for 99 there is NO import duty of 2.7% that has to be paid separately - it is included in the ED MSRP price on the BMW web site. They said that this price includes everything except state sales tax, license, and title fees. So it includes the car, ED insurance, shipping the car back, and duties. One dealer (who seemed the least competent on the phone) said they still charge the 2.7% at time of delivery back here in the states.

Two said they "can't discount from the ED MSRP." They said they are "just go-betweens between BMW corp and have no ability to change the price." Three others said they could negotiate a lower price, but all said that their margins between invoice and MSRP are much lower with ED - one mentioned that on a 740i which has a $7400 margin on their lot, they only have a $4500 margin with ED. So all three hinted that they would do maybe $500-$750 off ED MSRP, but a couple closed with the typical "we want to earn your business" line.

On trade-ins, they all were consistent in that they wanted any trade-in at the time that the deal "closed" which has to be at least 30-days before the delivery date in Munich. As to the ticklish problem of how to agree on a trade-in price now and then trade-in a month or two later, they all hedged. They all said they needed to have some flexibility to "revise their trade-in price" due to depreciation and "unanticipated market changes" but seemed to all say they wanted to avoid any reductions in trade-in value except for unusual circumstances. They all agreed that they would refund the deposit on an ordered car if we couldn't come to agreement on a revised trade-in value.

All agreed that the sales tax would be charged on the difference between the new car price and the trade-in value. This is a big deal in WA state as our sales tax is nearly 8.7%.

I'll hit three of the five dealers this next week and see what they'll do in person. If anybody has any tips or ideas, please drop me a line.

- Mark
    Mark,

Until recently, import duty wasn't included in BMW's ED prices, but it is now, hence the confusion at one of the dealerships.

The only way to get the best possible discount is to force the dealerships to price compete. That means telling each dealership about the best deal you've been offered from any other dealership and giving each a chance to do better. It will take several rounds of doing this until you know for sure everyone's lowest price. If you're willing to take the time to create this kind of competition, you should end up learning the lowest price that each is willing to sell the car at; in order words the price at which each says, "If I accept any less profit on this transaction, it's not worth going through with the transaction at all."

This being said, dealership "experience" is an important factor in any car purchase, particularly in a European Delivery transaction (which is drawn out over time) and you might decide it's worth paying a bit more in order to work with a sales rep who has been extra generous with his or her time, particularly honest with you, or just especially nice. If you find a sales rep like this, find out the best price among all the local dealerships and then give him or her a chance to match it.

Trading in your car is nothing more than selling it to the dealership for its wholesale price. You shouldn't expect anyone to commit in advance to buying a used car at a fixed price. Sounds like they're just trying to find polite ways to say this to you. Remember, something like 2 months may pass between the time you have to pay for your 323 and the time it arrives in the US; you may need you existing car until then. Perhaps you would want to keep your existing car until the new one arrives, and then sell it yourself. If you can sell it for more than 8.7% above wholesale (which is the most you can expect from a dealership), you'll be ahead of the game.
  • markjennmarkjenn Member Posts: 1,142
    dkAtlanta,

Thanks for your comments.

In looking at the numbers further, I agree with you about not trading in and selling my car privately. If I trade, I am pinned down to local dealers (none of which have been particularly helpful or sound interested in my car), have the problem of re-appraisal problem from the time I order until the deal closes, and I'm out of a car for at least 30-days before I pick it up the new car in Europe and six-or-so weeks when I get back. With just a cash deal, I keep it the new car deal dead simple and can work with any dealer within a day's driving distance. I also can sell my old car whenever I want.

I wonder if the squeeze on new car margins has made trade-ins the primary profit center for dealers, thus the need for very high margins in this area of their business.

- Mark
  • jag98jag98 Member Posts: 2
    i am trying to find out some info on buying a BMW in germany and then having it sent back to the US. with the exchange rates the way they are, i would imagine that you could get a pretty good deal going to a dealer in munich, paying in germany marcs, and having it sent back to the US.

if anyone has any experience with this and is familiar with the ins and outs, pls post a message.

thanks,
    jag98
    jag98, I know that BMW has a European Delivery program that allows consumers to arrange European delivery of an American spec vehicle, and eventually bring it back to this country. BMW's official Euro delivery program does provide a discount off of U.S. prices. This does not sound like the sort of arrangement that you were writing about, though. I have a feeling that you may run into trouble trying to bring a Euro Spec BMW back into the United States. You may end up having to make modifications to it to make it street legal here.

Your Host
    I believe you would end up with a nightmare situation. It is possible to do what you suggest, but the paperwork, posting of bond, US DOT modification required before you could title the car,would make the whole process very difficult.I believe there is a web site for the US DOT that will give you all the requirements. I took factory delivery of a US spec Mercedes last September and had absolutely no problems--to me it is the slickest way to go. dranoel
    Also, your car may not be warrantied by BMW USA.
  • jag98jag98 Member Posts: 2
    Car Man, dranoel, fonobulax

Thanks for the input. It sounds like more of a headache than its worth. The next best alternative sounds like the Eurpean delivery. I'll look into that. Thanks again.
    Glad to help, jag98.
  • hoppehoppe Member Posts: 1
    a quick review on ed. i bought in '77, '82, a vw's and in '97 a bmw m3 (sunroof) for $34,333 + 2.71% duty and appr. 2% license fee in ca <36K. i stay for more than 3 month this way i save the saletax in ca. as far as i know vw/audi doesn't have an ed programm anymore. on that car i saved +8k. and i can drive with the bigboys (140mph) on the autobahn. the salesman will show you the ed-price if one deals honestly with him.
  • tom123tom123 Member Posts: 15
    Hi everyone --

I am doing the Volvo Overseas Delivery program on a '99 V70AWD in August. The order has gone in; full payment due 30 days before pickup in Gothenburg. Now that I'm committed, my view of the pros and cons:

PROS:

You can get exactly the car you want built just for you -- no compromises.

Fair non-negotiable price, below US dealer invoice, posted on the Web. (At least I believe it to be non-negotiable. None of the three Puget Sound area dealers I contacted would budge.)

Many factory options (wood steering wheel, roof rails, etc.) cost 50% or less of dealer list.

One free air ticket to Europe plus one nights' hotel. Ticket can be open-jaw, e.g. fly into Gothenburg, home from someplace else. You cannot name your own airline or routing though.

Volvo ships the car home free. It goes right to your dealer.

You don't have to pay state tax and license until you claim the car back in the States.

CONS

Long lead time between order and pickup, 12 weeks at least. Anticipation killing me.

If you pick up or drop off the car anyplace but Gothenburg, the associated fees can start to wipe out your cost savings. (Drop fees alone range from $200 to almost $1000. London is $285.)

Full payment is gone from your wallet and into Volvo's 30 days before you see your car. I don't know what your fallback is if something turns out to be not right. They hold onto your marbles.

After you come home, at least six weeks' wait before your car catches up with you. If you traded your old car, what'll you drive in the meantime? If you don't trade, you face a wee cash flow challenge.

European insurance is extra, minimum $465 for 30 days.

You have to apply for your own Swedish export license. Volvo sends you the forms, but you have to initiate this.

Not all Volvo dealers have a clue about this program, understand the details, or are that enthusiastic about supporting it.

BOTTOM LINE:

We're getting a pretty loaded V70AWD equipped as we want it for $35,800. Well below invoice, but we're probably barely $1,000 ahead of a hard-driven dealer bargain for the same car. The free Europe air ticket makes it $2,000. Figure the cost of European insurance roughly equals what we'd spend on a Hertz car over there for two weeks, so that's a wash.

As we were planning a family trip to England anyway this summer, it's worth it. If we hadn't been, I'm not sure it would be.

I'll be sure to post an account of the delivery experience and relate any hassles or good things.

Tom
  • daniels856daniels856 Member Posts: 5
    Tom:
    Thanks for sharing that story. I am about to do the SAME thing with a Mercedes. I am planning on buying a C230 Kompressor via the European
    Delivery Program, picking the car up in October. If I were to buy a 1999 model for domestic delivery, the Invoice price is $27,140 and the MSRP is $31,200. The European Delivery price is being advertised at $29,650, which is just about 5% below the Domestic MSRP price. Mercedes doesn't include the flight cost like Volvo does. From my quick look at the Volvo European Delivery site, it looks like they're willing to offer steeper discounts than Mercedes.

I have gotten a little budge from this price ($500); however, what I would like to know, for a
    bargaining tool, is what the dealer's cost of the European Delivery is.

It is my assumption that the dealer's cost is lower with the European Delivery. The dealer is possibly "shopping" the 5% reduction as a
    benefit of purchasing in Europe, where in reality, they are simply paying less for the car, and realize that the buyer doesn't know their
    true cost.

(For anyone) Any idea what the dealer cost is with the European Delivery program? Any idea how I might be able to find out? I think it could save me a few $$$ and give me a much better bargaining position.

Thank you,
    Daniels856
    Hello Daniels856 --

Under the Volvo model there's no "dealer cost" for Euro delivery, because the dealer never buys the car from Volvo; you do. The dealer acts as your agent initially, submits the order and collects your check, but otherwise I've been dealing with a guy on an 800- line at Volvo US HQ in New Jersey. Volvo US, not my dealer, sent my confirmation invoice, arranged my air ticket, sent the Swedish customs packet, etc.

With Volvo the car never passes through a dealers' hands until you go there to get it back once it arrives in the States. (And that's a new innovation for Volvo. Before this year you apparently had to go to the POE and get the car out of bond yourself, never visiting the dealer at all, which for me would've meant an inconvenient trip to Tacoma, WA.)

What does the dealer get out of the deal then? I wondered as much myself, and consulted my next-door neighbor whose friend manages a Mercedes dealership. Answer from him: the dealer gets credit for the sale, which affects the size and mix of next month's allotment of cars (more M-class ones maybe)... and the individual salesperson you deal with gets the sale in his/her column, which puts 'em closer to bonuses. That's the main incentive. I think Volvo may kick in a little holdback money to cover the dealer's modest admin costs, but that's it. No wonder some Volvo dealers don't much care about the Overseas Delivery program.

Honestly, this is the kind of thing you could and should be able to do strictly over the Internet with Volvo or Mercedes directly: point, click, use Visa to put down your deposit, bang, buy your car. Except that it's taboo for now in the US car-sales culture to outflank the dealer network, much as Volvo or any other company might like to.

It sounds as if Mercedes is a bit more nervous of its US dealer body, because while Volvo's Overseas Delivery prices are pegged below US invoice in most cases (not the C70), Mercedes' are pegged about $1000 above. If you go through with your deal, be sure extras like drop-off fees don't wipe out your advantage. Let me know how it goes.

Tom
    Thanks Tom. I'll let you know how it goes. The C230 for European Delivery is priced $2250 above domestic dealer cost - pretty hefty. I'm looking to see if I can get someone to lower the profit margin, which appears to be fairly high; otherwise, I might just buy one off a lot, and rent a car while in Europe :) It sure would be fun to have MY car to drive while over there though. With a lower than invoice cost, AND a free flight, looks like th Volvo is one heck of a bargain (and one heck of a nice car. I had a 244 DL years ago and loved it!)
    Thanks again for the feedback and info,
    Dan
    Same with MB and BMW, no dealer cost, you buy the car directly from the factory. I know that MB and BMW pay the US dealer a commission.

FWIW, renting a C230 in Europe must run over $100/day.

Tom, interesting trip, taking the car from Sweden to England. I lived in England for two years and the swtich to driving on the left wasn't so hard because you are still sitting toward the center of the road. But driving a left-hand drive car in England will be a challenge.
    It'll be interesting, all right. I've driven a goodly number of miles in the UK and I'm pretty comfortable with it (got to keep muttering "Keep left, look right. Keep left, look right" to yourself as you drive through those village roundabouts!). But it's always been in a right-hand-drive car. I've never had a left-hand-drive vehicle on English roads, and the V70 counts as a big car over there. See you buried in a hedgerow somewhere...

I'm planning to get the car in Gothenburg on the morning of Day 1 and get to Copenhagen that night; Day 2 is a hard day of driving across the north of Germany to Amsterdam; Day 3 gets us to Calais, under the Channel, and up to my uncle's place in Surrey. This better work, because my loving family arrives Heathrow the morning of Day 4, and expects to see a new car!

I'll report. Daniels856, good luck with your transaction -- it sounds like fun.

Tom
    I hope you have as positive an experience as I did on the MB 230K factory purchase. I picked one up last Sept.--fantastic experience--MB does an outstanding job.
    dranoel
    Thanks dranoel. I'll let you know how it goes. I lived in Germany from 1986-1989 (went with a backpack and stayed :>) and I was able to go on the MB factory tour during my stay. It was amazing to hear them say over the loud speaker "Mr. Schneider, your C230 is ready for pick-up." Wow. Now I want to hear my name over their loud speaker :). In regards to your comments on price in comment number 29, I have been offered $500 below the factory price of $29,650 for EB and I am still working on more. I'll be sure to post what I end up getting, although I'm going to end with a model year 2,000 (since I'm not picking it up until October) and the prices will probably go up a few hundred dollars.

I've been asking Mercedes (1-800-4mercedes)about the Year 2000 options, and they have told me that dealers in the US should now this week.

If anyone else has any stories on year 2000 options, please share! .

Dan
    Re: C230 car rental prices

I'm sure that it's at least that much to rent. If for any reason I don't do the ED, which I doubt, I'd probably end up with a Eurail Pass :)
    Dan
This discussion has been closed.