Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Chevy Venture

Comments

• Options
    alien10alien10 Member Posts: 10
    Please see my message #960 on the Triplets board in regard to cold start engine noise.
    I apologize for double posting but I have received only one reply -Thanks again n7don-
    and there are lots of these mechanically identical GM vans out there. From what I have observed it is a pretty widespread issue.
    Just trying to drum up more conversation.

Thank you,

alien10
  • Options
    offhamoffham Member Posts: 344
    I have found another situation when the light may stay on.

With the engine running in Park and you open the power sliding passenger door, upon closing the AB light may stay on without flashing. It may go out but I usually restart the engine to resolve
  • Options
    Interested to know if anybody has panel switches either overhead or on dashboard that do not light up with the lights on.

I have about 5 that have gone. Is it a question of replacing a bulb or the complete switch.
  • Options
    pbasspbass Member Posts: 8
    Thanks for the tip, it worked like a charm. I had to jiggle the wires under both the driver and passenger seats.
  • Options
    5happycampers15happycampers1 Member Posts: 4
    PLEASE HELP. I cant find the fix for this -at library or online.

2000 Chevy Venture - wipers stopped moving. I removed a plate 2-3 all assembled together - from the motor spindle - before that the screw that fastened this plate down was just spinning. Under the plates is a stop of sorts with a leaf spring - not sure what this is supposed to do or engage? Looking on top of the plates there is a pin - thats in a slot. I have no idea how to install this plate again - and which position the wiper blades, plates and pin in slot should all be related. Nothing "looks" broken. If anyone can help - a BIG thank you. OR if you know an online resourse that may help. ALLDATA did not list my Venture.

Thank you.
  • Options
    kkollwitzkkollwitz Member Posts: 274
    A few of us Triplet owners have had wiper mischief. I think just to start, put the wipers in the down position and retighten the screw & see what happens.
  • Options
    vangovango Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 Venture WB and when I put a video tape in the vcr the sound comes on and the screen in the back says Play....but no picture....then the screen shows VCP IDLE...but you can still hear the sound of what is on the video tape...has anyone seen this and can anyone help me with this problem....I am going to put a head cleaning tape in and run it to see it that works....but it only seems to do it when it is cold outside....thanks in advance
  • Options
    duraflexduraflex Member Posts: 358
    Your symptom of flickering lights was identical to mine. Were you told at some point that you were "overcharging" your battery? My dealer is telling me that my alternator is putting out as much as 16 VOLTS . They say the only remedy is a new alternator at over $600 installed!

Don't these cars have separate little voltage regulators on them any more?
  • Options
    crackcheckercrackchecker Member Posts: 32
    I would check the voltage myself if I were you. You would hurt/kill the battery charging that high on a continuaous basis.

I too have my lights flickering. I think I will remove the grounding bolt, clean and grind a new surface on the contacting faces, and put dielectric greese on it to see if it stops. I was thinking that the regulator was going out but didn't want to even think about the nightmare of getting out the alternator. I'm having a hard enough time getting to the back three spark plugs.
  • Options
    just4fun2just4fun2 Member Posts: 461
    You can buy the Voltage Regulator Ground Screw, P/N 10316685 for around $5.00 from your GM dealer. People who have had the problem of flickering lights have said that this fixed their problem and it wasn't difficult to take out the old screw and put in the new screw and washer.

Good luck.
  • Options
    jlgilmanjlgilman Member Posts: 2
    I have read on the net that there was a court decision sometime in the mid 90's holding GM responsible for all costs to repair paint peeling on Ventures and their cousins (Montana & Silhouette). I am a victim of this problem, and have been having a battle with GM and the dealer from whom I bought my van. Has anyone had this same problem? PLEASE LET ME KNOW ASAP, AS THE COURT DECISION EXPIRES AT THE END OF EACH VAN'S 6TH YEAR, AND IN MY CASE, THAT'S DEC 31, 2004.
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    According to this article, you may need to go to small claims court.

Steve, Host
  • Options
    MANY THANKS to just4fun2 and offham for the TSB and part number to address the flickering light problem.
    I bought the part (a $5.00 screw ) and had it installed at an independent repair shop for $30 labor.

SUCCESS!!!

My lights did NOT flicker when I picked it up yesterday and did NOT flicker when I started it this morning after being in the driveway overnight at 30 degrees F.

After the grounding bolt replacement, the repair shop said the alternator is putting out 14 volts but that they consider that normal and that I did not need to replace the alternator.

If it was not for this wonderful forum and the helpful people on it, it now appears I would have wasted more than $600 on a new alternator that I did not need.

Thank you EDMUNDS and your sponsors for providing this useful service.
  • Options
    Re 1752, Glad to see that it worked OK. When I first had this checked out by the dealer he said the output was normal. The regulator is built in to the alternator.

I literally had to all the research via this site to get the TSB number and the part number and tell the same dealer this what I want fixed. I have no idea where the alternator ground wire is located. I would be interested to learn from the DIY'ers.
  • Options
    just4fun2just4fun2 Member Posts: 461
    I have not had to do this fix myself, but I have seen a drawing of the alternator and the screw is located on the backside of the alternator. Can't remember where I found that site, but the Impala's have the same problem.

Try the search using flickering lights Impala's and it might come up.
  • Options
    ALTERNATOR/REGULATOR grounding screw shows upon in this TSB printout on a website developed by an Impala owner named "Nathan".

http://www.impalahq.com/TSB/TSB01-06-03-005.html

The Edmunds IMPALA forum is very active. I used to own an Impala before I traded it in for a Venture after we had our baby.

------------------------------------------
    QUESTION:
    Still need to know what is the correct VOLTAGE that should be coming off the alternator?
  • Options
    mpg7mpg7 Member Posts: 17
    VAN TAKES A LONG TIME TO HEAT UP AND RUNS COOL ON TEMP GUAGE. MY FIRST THOUGHT IS A STUCK OPEN THERMOSTAT. HAVEN'T CHANGED THERM YET, BUT AM CONCERNED ABOUT THE WEAK FAN. IT ALSO BLOWS OUT OF FLOOR AND DASH VENTS TOGETHER WHETHER OR NOT YOU HAVE SWITCHED TO FLOOR ONLY OR VENTS ONLY. I READ ABOUT A TSB ON THIS SITE AND WAS WONDERING IF ANYONE HAS THE TSB #? I THINK I'LL START WITH THE THERMOSTAT REPLACEMENT. HAVENT EVEN LOOKED UNDER THE HOOD FOR IT YET. IS I BURIED IN THERE? OR ACCESSIBLE FOR THE FAIRLY CAPABLE DIY'ER? THNX.
  • Options
    kevin6kevin6 Member Posts: 1
    I told my service advisor to read the service bulletin on the flickering lights. He read it and installed the screw. It worked 100% and the flickering stopped. He quoted me $100 and I got him down to $60. While having 2001 Venture in for oil change I asked him to check the intake manifold. Good thing I did as the oil line was leaking (60k miles) and the intake was done at 49k 10 months before when he noticed it was leaking coolant. Check with GM customer service before this is done, they appear to pay the national service labor rate to do this work. It is fairly common for the manifold to go per my advisor at 50k on the 3400 engine.

Never stranded by the van, just a lot of things that go wrong like my Blazer.
  • Options
    shooter72shooter72 Member Posts: 1
    Hello: I have a 2004 Venture that is supplied by my company to do service calls. I experience the howling noise just as you describe it. I have taken to the dealer 3 times and the don't have a clue. I thought it was the intake shroud also and removed it but still had the same noise. I also blocked off the radiator but still had the noise. It gets so bad in a cross wind that I have to turn up my radio just to hear the music. ANY help would be appreciated as I have a long business trip coming up of 10 hours on the road.

Bruce
  • Options
    agt_cooperagt_cooper Member Posts: 202
    Have you checked around the windshield? I recently rented a Chevy product that made a helluva noise around the windshield from a leak.

You could try putting some type of tape around the seal on the outside for a test drive to see if it improves. (Make sure you take the tape off while its fresh!!)

Good luck!
  • Options
    For those who havew been through the anti feeze/gasket problem, I need some advice. Noticed the expansion tank was down and refilled up to cold level. Van has 84K

Looking at the engine on the left side where the water pump is attached to the engine there is a little well and believe I saw a drop of the orange anti freeze there.

I got the Change Oil Light on - it was due anyway, but when I drained it looked OK, tiny bit of sludge around the oil filler cap. Replaced oil, filter and at moment everything seems OK.

Taking into dealer to have cooling system pressure tested. Did Chev ever replace any out of warranty on a recall?

Any info appreciated
  • Options
    Van in shop and dealer found intake gasket had gone etc. $875 which seems par for the course.
  • Options
    cabbbaileycabbbailey Member Posts: 12
    I bought a '98 Venture in '99, for use in my business. I drive a LOT of miles! I couldn't have been happier with this van. I sold it last year after I had put over 200,000 miles on it. I had absolute zero major problems with this van.

Great quality, great mileage, great comfort!. The new owner tells me he is very happy with it, even with the high miles.

I then bought an '02 Venture, and my feelings are reversed. I've had nothing but problems with this van. It has just over 80,000 miles, and it's been one problem after another. I had to reseal the windshield within the first week. The front wheel bearings went out within the first 40,000 miles. Just a few months later, at about 55,000, the intake manifold gasket cracked. The shocks and struts were next, worn slap out after just 75,000. I can't get rid of a vibration on the right side, even with new tires balanced and alignment.

The brake lights on both sides go out regularly. So far I've had to replace the lamp on the right side twice and the left side four times.

Much more of this and I'll be dumping this van soon.

Even though I've been a loyal GM customer for over 15 years, I'm not sure I'll remain so for long. I feel like I'm not abandoning them. With their drop in quality, they're abandoning me.
  • Options
    vanman1vanman1 Member Posts: 1,397
    I think you are just unlucky. We have 3 friends / neighbors with Ventures and Montanas and all are generally happy. We have an 04 Montana and aside from a broken washer fluid cap and a sticky rear hatch, it's been flawless. There are always lemons out there but for the most part the GM vans are decent as far as quality which was a strong reason we bought.
  • Options
    Don't scare me! My 99 Venture has been great, and I'm considering getting an 05.

You ought to post in the reliable minivan board about your 98.
  • Options
    riverknollriverknoll Member Posts: 12
    Offham, Tried to change air filter today, must have missed lunch or something, but didn't have strength to pull back housing cover. When you removed the coolant recovering tank, did you also removed the bar as well? Doesn't seem like it would help as the room made available is on top, but you really need the space to the left, which is hitting electrical wiring and coolant return hose. Wonder what the dealer charges for air filter replacement?
  • Options
    1panky1panky Member Posts: 34
    Just for "kicks" I decided to replace the air filter on my 2000 Venture at now 98,000 miles. After one hour, it was completed. I dismantled or moved the housing cover, coolant recovery tank, support bar, 5 inch (to my guesstimate) emission rubber hose assembly (both ends), and new for this attempt; throttle support bracket (two screws). To add to this fun, I enlisted the support of a 2 foot crow bar to keep the plastic housing etc, in place to support one-man operation. It took alot of pushing, grunting, etc, but it was completed. I force myself to revisit this maintenance item once a year. My mechanic will now be ready to perform the wicked spark plug replacement dance as part of the tune-up process. As punishment, the engineer responsible for designing this draconian system should have had my high school shop teacher standing behind him who surely would have "soundly" smacked him in the back of the head with a rubber mallet and told to try it again and get it right this time!
  • Options
    Since I had about an hour today (to kill), decided to replace the air filter. After 2 cut fingers, 1 broken clip that holds down the reserve coolant tank, I decided this was my last. Ain't worth the time because it's like squeezing in a 8 inch mattress into a door opening of 4 inches. It is physically impossible, hooray to the design engineer. Oh, found a third cut, and still bleeding. Maybe I have the special 2001 edition or the prototype engine. I expect the service engine light to come on any time now after I stretched and pulled on everything in the way. Probably broke something in this process, and I don't even know if the new filter is seated properly.
  • Options
    brophbroph Member Posts: 85
    I have a 2000 Venture and my problem is this: The fan control does not work in the #1 or #2 position. Has anyone had this problem & if you did, what was the fix? Thanks.
  • Options
    Noted your comments on previous message. As per my old posting I did remove the cross bar and the coolant tank. On the bar there is a coil looking attachment which just gets in the way. As mentioned above you can undo the air intake hose from the point in joins the engine to releive the pressure. However it is a matter of willpower.

My dealer wants $300 do to the spark plugs 2.5 hours labor and $50 for the six platinum plugs.

Whoa they can go for another few thousand. I can imagine if you took it to a quick lube place they would only do the front three and not do the rear.

I did read the the two engine mounts just above the radiator have to be released and the engine allowed to move forward so you could lean over the engine.

However I thought they could be got at from underneath if on a high garage ramp.
  • Options
    Re posting. Had this problem and the fan settings all went wacky, however self corrected when I took it out the next day. Hard to say otherwise with out the fan control switch being replace.
  • Options
    Suffered the same problem as many owners and had the gaskets changed etc. Antifreeze was clearly in the engine as oil change message came on sooner than normal and some white sludge on the inside of the oil filler neck. $900.

The next day after I got it home there was antifreeze all over the garage floor, and although set up to take it back the problem was the radiator cap (original) was leaking and could not hold the pressure. Replaced and all OK
  • Options
    joechasejoechase Member Posts: 1
    Glad to hear that someone else experienced the same problem. I was beginning to think that it was me. I also took over an hour, ended up with sore hands and a somewhat bent filter element. Guess that's why we pay the auto mechanics the big bucks!
  • Options
    cptpltcptplt Member Posts: 1,075
    had same problem, a resistor (or something like that- I thought it would have been the actual switch but its not) is shot somewhere, as I have ext warranty can't tell you how much it would be to fix
  • Options
    1panky1panky Member Posts: 34
    At 98,000 miles, my 2000 Venture finally required the dreaded manifold gasket replacement. Lucky for me, I had the van in for it's 100,000 tune-up, flush and filter, etc., exercise. The mechanic notices two small leaks while attempting to replace the spark plugs. In my case, $680.00 was attributed to the leaking gaskets. I thought this was a fair price for the work involved probably owing to the combination of work already in motion. With all the other maintenance items was complete the van runs as new. Even a slight engine tapping sound has disappeared. I don't know if this mileage is a record for this type of required repair but, I was surprised to get this far down the road. My mechanic is well versed in GM problem areas and sees no reason why I shouldn't make the next 100,000 miles without any unscheduled problems. Just on general principle, I plan to send the bill with a letter to GM to see if they would offer to cover half the gasket replacement portion of the bill for their defective items. After all, I am planning to replace two other vehicles this year and was seriously considering GM products. It is after all up to them to convince me to make another sizable investment in their company. If they show no interest, well, the automotive field currently is awash in comparable vehicles with some very good financial incentives.
  • Options
    brophbroph Member Posts: 85
    Thanks for the feedback. I heard that the part is cheap but the labor is another story. Wondering if I should tackle it myself or have dealer do work.
  • Options
    farnarklerfarnarkler Member Posts: 1
    For the many that read this message board, to look for similar problems that others may have experienced--If you see something that is similar (regardless of your mileage) such as: INTAKE MANIFOLD GASKET, HEAD GASKET, REAR BRAKE CYLINDERS LEAKING, POWER SLIDING DOOR, REAR DOOR HATCH HANDLE, COOLANT(DEXCOOL) PROBLEMS, FLICKERING LIGHTS, WINDOW PROBLEMS, FUEL GAUGE PROBLEMS, FRONT BRAKE WEAR, TIE RODS, REAR AIR SUSPENSION, I hope you get the picture....The most important thing that you can do is FILE A COMPLAINT on http://www.autosafety.org/fileacomplaint.php, http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/ivoq/default.htm, and GMs website, flagged as a RECALL! These, and many other problems have exsisted for some time, and unless we force GM to pay for their cheap problems, we will have to foot the bill, and I am running out of money!!!
  • Options
    scotthutchiscotthutchi Member Posts: 1
    Hey, I had the same problem changing my air filter in my 2001 Venture. What a stupid design, if you can even call it a design. Anyway my engine light did come on, but I'm not sure if it was the result of "pulling wires etc" did your engine light come on?

Thanks,

Scott
  • Options
    keith53keith53 Member Posts: 4
    Recently bought 2004 Venture (traded in 1998). When you start up the new one, it sounds like the air compressor is doing something in the driver's trunk area. Anyone know what's going on here? Thanks!

Keith
  • Options
    Scott, Luckily for me, the SES light did NOT come on. If your light came on soon after the air filter change, it maybe worthwhile to make sure everything is back where they belong. Also see to it that the new filter is seated properly. If all fails, kill the power for 10 minutes and see if light returns. If yes, better have it checked out. This engine is very sensitive and any dirt bypassing the filter is not good. Last resort, bring it in for an oil change, and ask the technician for the error code.
  • Options
    dcamerondcameron Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 Venture Van that needs a head gasket fixed. I have the option to trade it in or fix it and drive it for a few more years. Does anyone know if I should expect more troubles with this van?
  • Options
    ronsmith38ronsmith38 Member Posts: 228
    $1000 is about 2 payments for a new van. Even if you have to spend 1 to 2 grand a year on repairs it is probably still cheaper than buying a new one. Of course reliability on the road has to be considered.
  • Options
    I think you're hearing the air suspension working.
  • Options
    I agree with ronsmith. I had the manifold gasket fixed on my 99 two years ago, car has been fine since.
  • Options
    The air compressor is adjusting the rear shock absorbers. If you look underneath you can see two rubber pipe connections to each of the rear shocks which comes from the pump. This is determined by a crude switch mounted on the body and connected to a rod on the lateral suspension bars. Lets say you fill up with people, the cross bars alter which sets off the pump to level the van.
  • Options
    After my gasket make over and new radiator cap, appears I was sold one without the pressure relief valve.OTC Did not realize at the time, but over weekend the pressure blew out the coolant sensor and lost all antifreeze as it could not expand to the overflow tank but dealer fixed today.

I also had the gas tank checked as sensed rattling underneath and there are three straps that hold the gas tank on. However there is also a bolt to secure the tank to the frame. This had worked loose. This must have accounted for the creaking noise when I filled up - earlier post.
  • Options
    robsonrobson Member Posts: 1
    Must do for all GM owners with Coolant/Gasket problems: Post your complaint on www.nhtsa.dot.gov This is the US Dept of Transportation site; all complaints are available for all to see, and feed the NHTSA's recall efforts. Note your problem, the safety and environmental (ie, bright yellow coolant spilling all over our environment) issues created as well as the high cost of repair.

Millions affected by this--if even 1% posted complaints, we'd see some solid action by GM
  • Options
    garagetrendsgaragetrends Member Posts: 1
    well i found that i had a slight drip of dexcool after driving my 2001 venture and put her up on a jack only to find a nice white streak going down the back head towards the fron of motor. well im thourly pis*$# at this point. i just bought this van with 54,000 mls and had it in b4 the 30 days from dealer to have the condensor replaced whitch i had to pay for and i told them it had a slight leak somewhere no pressure test was done a hose was fixed on top going into upper intake so i thought it was fixed. here i am 3 weeks later still leaks but not from where they siad it was. i had to pay $575.00 to have both headgaskets replaced (why replace just one since your in their do both) at least i didnt half to wait for the lower intake to fail it was replaced with the revised gasket as well. i had the dealer save all the old gaskets so i could see where it failed and sure nuf back gasket towards the front middle of gasket in a water passage the dexcool was eating away to the outside so bad it rusted into 2 peices. good job GM and thank you dealer for not finding the leak when it was under warrenty by you when im sure you have seen this problem.

Dear Ford,

I lost my way and found the rock. i dont like it here. their is nothing but pain for me here. Im comming back home to you.
  • Options
    eckoecko Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a 99 venture with 120,000k's when i give it alot of gas all at once, the van seems to hesiate getting into the passing gear i was just wondering if this was a quick fix or not.i have a real crappy warranty 50/50. i was think a clogged injector or something wrong with the kick down cable .... all i hear is problems with theses van help what should I do .
  • Options
    If you still have the original spark plugs and wires either of them may be the cause.