Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lincoln Town Car

Comments

• dispencer2dispencer2 Member Posts: 299
    I can't find a test of the 2008 -just the 2007. I don't pay much attention to road tests. I just drive the car myself. No car buff likes the Town Car. No magazines waste any time writing about anything other than a Challenger, the new Camero or the hopped up CTS or STS . I've had them all -from Mustangs to Jaguars and I am perfectly happy getting into and driving all day a comfortable, quiet big sedan that gets adequate gas mileage. My 2003 Cadillac Deville is just fine and the Town Car is even better with a better reliability record. I don't care in the least what some 25 year old car reviewer thinks about the Town Car. I wouldn't have thought much of it when I was 25 either. A negative report won't affect resale value because cars like these are heavily discounted out the door and worth virtually nothing in 5 years -$10k or less for a $50k MSRP.vehicle. I look at the CU reliability report and ignore the teeny bopper's opinions of the cars I like.
  • aladdinsanealaddinsane Member Posts: 182
    Is there ANY chance of the TC getting ESC, either standard or an option, anytime in future? It seems that this model's days are numbered, unfortunately. Wotta pity. :( ESC would serve it well, especially in the snow belt.
    Anyone have an answer or clue? :confuse:

Does the 2008 model have Ford's SYNC?

Hope to learn from someone in the know here.

Thanx!

Peace!<- AladdinSane<- :shades: -
  • brhalltxbrhalltx Member Posts: 4
    The Town Car has long been Lincoln's bedrock -- it is the brand's highest-volume model, and it boasts extremely high customer satisfaction and loyalty. Lincoln's goals for the redesigned 2003 model were to enhance the qualities that define Town Car -- room, ride, comfort and safety -- and instill newfound precision in the car's driving dynamics.

For 2003, Town Car will be offered in Cartier, Signature and Executive series, as well as long wheelbase Cartier L and Executive L models. Town Car is built in Wixom, Michigan.

Refinement, Comfort, Convenience
    For 2003, the Town Car has more formal bodywork, including a redesigned hood, fenders and quarter panels. There are 11 exterior colours, as well as three two-tone colour combinations.

Up front, a new chromed Lincoln signature grille stands more upright and is flanked by quad-beam halogen headlamps that are 60 per cent brighter than last year's design and standard on Signature and Executive series. High intensity discharge headlamps and halogen fog lights are standard on Cartier models, and the stand up Lincoln star hood ornament returns.

The interior of the Town Car mixes traditional and contemporary elements to create a warm, inviting atmosphere. The soft touch instrument panel and doors are subtly grained and available in four palettes: a two-tone Dark Stone and Medium Light Stone, a Medium Dark Parchment and Light Parchment combination, Espresso and Medium Light Stone, or monochromatic black. The interior volume of the Town Car is unchanged at 3,763.3 litres (132.9 cubic feet), but a 38.1 mm (1.5 inch) increase in front seat travel and a host of other design changes to the seats, instrument panel and door trim panels improve overall comfort and stowage space.

The overall utility of Town Car's best in class 594.7-litre (21-cubic foot) trunk is significantly improved:

* The relocation of the mini-spare tire to the right hand wheelwell has freed up a large parcel shelf behind the rear seat backs.
    * On Cartier models, the deep well in the centre of the trunk is now fitted with a removable covered bin ideal for stowing grocery bags, a first aid kit and other items. A new trunk organizer is optional on other models.
    * The decklid opening is 198 mm (7.8 inches) wider and the liftover height is slightly lower.

A power trunk pull down, which securely latches the trunk with minimal effort, is standard on all Town Cars. Cartier models are fitted with a convenient full power trunk lid that can be opened or closed using the key fob or key pad.

The Cartier L and Executive L models, which ride on a 152 mm (6 inch) longer wheelbase than standard Town Cars, boast more rear seat legroom than any regular production car or truck on the road today a total of 1,193.8 mm (47 inches).

A rear seat amenities package is standard on both the Cartier L and Executive L. The package offers an even more comprehensive array of comfort and convenience features, including additional audio and climate controls mounted in the armrest, two additional powerpoints, an ashtray and cigar lighter in each door, a control to adjust the fore and aft position of the front passenger seat and heated rear seats.

New Frame
    The Town Car's front frame rails are now fully boxed sections of hydroformed steel. The new rails are filled with structural foam in key locations to help control the dissipation of crash energy through the frame for improved offset crash performance. The frame's torsional rigidity overall has been increased by 24 per cent, and its resistance to vertical bending has been improved by 20 per cent.

New Steering and Front Suspension
    The new frame allowed Lincoln engineers to make major changes to the independent short-and-long arm front suspension to improve ride quality. They also replaced the older model's recirculating-ball steering gear with a new rack-and-pinion system that offers greater precision, less friction and weighs 10.2 kilograms (22.5 pounds) less. The new steering rack is a variable ratio design. A new speed sensitive, variable assist power steering control module complements the new rack.

The front suspension's upper and lower control arms are a new, more robust design, and the lower arm is now made of aluminum. Ride motions are controlled by steel coil springs and monotube dampers. Additionally, a new front stabilizer bar with "grippy" bushings helps improve steering centre feel and reduce lateral compliance.

Revised Rear Suspension
    The Town Car's live axle rear suspension is located by upper and lower control arms and a lateral Watt's linkage. The rear monotube dampers are mounted farther outboard than the previous design to better manage the unsprung mass of the axle and reduce the transmission of road impacts into the car's structure.

This design change, coupled with a 14 mm increase in track width, is designed to keep the rear of the vehicle firmly planted during cornering on rough roads or washboard surfaces. A rear stabilizer bar is now fitted to all Town Cars. Load levelling air springs maintain a constant ride height regardless of vehicle load.

More Powerful Brakes
    All 2003 Lincoln Town Cars are fitted with a four-wheel anti-lock disc brake system and a new dual-rate brake booster that provides additional assist in emergency situations. Electronic brake force distribution (EBD) is used to dynamically proportion braking forces. EBD effectively raises the threshold for ABS engagement by optimizing front-to-rear brake bias.

Twin-piston calipers that are 16 per cent stiffer than the previous design grip the Town Car's 305 mm vented front rotors. Stiff rotors are less susceptible to brake roughness. The rear brakes use 295 mm vented rotors and single piston calipers.

More Power, More Refinement
    For 2003, all Lincoln Town Car models are powered by a 4.6-litre, single-overhead cam V-8 engine with two valves per cylinder and dual exhaust that produces 239 horsepower at 4,900 rpm and 287 foot-pounds of torque at 4,100 rpm. This is an increase of 19 horsepower and 22 foot- pounds of torque.

The Town Car's four-speed automatic transmission has been recalibrated to increase the speed of downshifts by 0.2 seconds to 0.3 seconds. The rear axle ratio is 3.27:1. All-speed traction control, which uses the ABS system and throttle intervention to manage wheel spin, is standard on all models.

Numerous changes were made to this proven powertrain to improve its refinement by reducing noise, vibration and harshness. Other powertrain improvements include a 20 per cent increase in engine oil capacity and a new returnless fuel delivery system for reduced emissions. Highway economy is improved by two miles per gallon to 9.4L/100km (25 mpg); fuel economy in city driving is unchanged at 13.8L/100km (17 mpg). Fuel capacity is 72 litres (15.8 Imperial gallons).

Quieter Cabin
    In addition to the powertrain NVH actions, the team made several significant changes to the Town Car's bo
  • gyrene40gyrene40 Member Posts: 4
    Many thanks for all the great info on the '03 Town Car. It is much appreciated. We're getting accustomed to the differences between the '03 and the '96 we've been driving for over 7 years, and 100k miles. If th '03 gives the same reliability, and performance as the '96, I'll be more than happy. Thanks again.
    You're welcome; looks like it got cut off, so here's the rest:

Quieter Cabin: In addition to the powertrain NVH actions, the team made several significant changes to the Town Car&#146;s body structure to reduce noise intrusion into the cabin.

* A new laminated steel dash panel replaces the previous model&#146;s single-ply design.
    * Thicker sound insulation is used in the wheelhouses, roof, body pillars and doors.
    * An aluminum floor pan doubler is bonded to the sheet metal in the front passenger footwell area to attenuate road noise.
    * A stronger steel instrument panel brace reduces steering column shake and eliminates squeaks and rattles.
    * New body and cowl seals reduce air leakage into the cabin by 20 percent.

At idle, the interior sound level is only 40 decibels. At partial throttle, the Town Car&#146;s speech articulation index, which measures a driver&#146;s ability to follow a conversation with a rear seat passenger without turning his head, remains well above 90 percent up to 3,000 rpm in first gear (higher is better). At wide-open throttle, the articulation index remains above 80 percent up to about 4,000 rpm.

While overall sound levels and loudness in the cabin are reduced, engineers have tuned the intake and exhaust systems to allow a strong fourth order engine note &#150; the firing order sound of a powerful American V-8 &#150; to come through under acceleration.

Section 4. A Safety Leader

The Town Car&#146;s robust new frame and industry-leading safety technologies developed by Ford Motor Company help protect Town Car drivers and passengers if a collision is unavoidable.

Personal Safety System

The 2003 Town Car is equipped with Ford Motor Company&#146;s Personal Safety System, which is one of the most comprehensive driver and front seat passenger restraint systems available. It includes dual-stage air bags and safety belts with retractor pretensioners and energy management retractors.

The system monitors belt usage and uses a front crash severity sensor and a driver&#146;s seat position sensor to tailor the force of air bag deployment for a variety of front-impact situations for enhanced occupant protection. In low-speed collisions, the front air bags may not deploy at all if the system determines that the safety belts alone can provide appropriate protection, or if the front passenger seat is empty.

The pretensioners tighten the front safety belts in the first milliseconds of a severe impact to help keep occupants in front of the air bags. The risk of chest injury is reduced because the energy management retractors release small amounts of belt webbing to manage the forces created by the vehicle&#146;s sudden deceleration.

Town Car continues to feature BeltMinder&#153;, which chimes to remind the driver to buckle up. According to an Insurance Institute for Highway Safety study, BeltMinder improves belt usage by 5 percent, which they described as &#147;significant.&#148;

A Solid Foundation

The 2003 Town Car is expected to perform well in U.S. government crash tests, thanks in part to frame improvements and safety features like the Personal Safety System.

* The new hydroformed front frame rails are filled with structural foam in key locations to help control the dissipation of crash energy for improved frontal and offset crash performance.
    * The steel number three crossmember, which ties the frame together behind the A-pillar, is a more robust design that helps manage side impact crash forces by transferring energy across the frame structure into the opposite rail.
    * The front roof rails and rocker panels are reinforced for improved offset and side impact protection.
    * A new 5-mph front bumper system improves high-speed crash performance by providing additional crush space. Repair costs also should be lower because the system has fewer parts.

Town Car&#146;s side-impact beams in all four doors and standard driver and front passenger side air bags further enhance side-impact crash performance.

DIMENSIONS

Vehicle Type

Four-door, Six-passenger full-size sedan
    Exterior Dimensions Signature, Cartier, Executive
    (inches / millimeters) Cartier L, Executive L (if different)
    (inches / millimeters)
    Overall length 215.4 / 5,470.8 221.4 / 5,623.2
    Overall width 78.2 / 1,986.6
    Overall height 59.0 / 1,498.9 59.1 / 1,501.5
    Wheelbase 117.7 / 2,990.4 123.7 / 3,142.8
    Track width, front 63.4 / 1,610.7
    Track width, rear 65.9 / 1,673.3
    Ground clearance 5.7/ 145.3
    Interior Dimensions
    Headroom
    1st row 39.3 / 999 39.38 / 1,000.2
    2nd row 37.6 / 956.2 37.86 / 961.6
    Shoulder room
    1st row 60.6 / 1,538
    2nd row 60.3 / 1,530.8 59.93 / 1,522.2
    Hip room
    1st row 57.3 / 1,455.1
    2nd row 58.0 / 1,472.1
    Leg room
    1st row 45.8 / 1,163.9
    2nd row 41.1/ 1,044 46.96 / 1,192.8
    Hip-point to ground
    (@ curb weight) 21.8 in. / 554 cm 21.77 in. / 552.9 cm
    Passenger volume 112.7 cu. ft. 120.5 cu. ft.
    Interior storage space 1,940 cu. in / 0.0318 cu. m.
    EPA interior volume 113 cu. ft. / 3.2 cu. m. 120.5 cu. ft. / 3.4 cu. m.
    Total trunk volume 21.1 cu. ft. / 0.583 cu. m.
    Base Curb Weight (pounds / kilograms)
    Executive 4,308 / 1,954
    Signature 4,310 / 1,956
    Cartier 4,352 / 1,974
    Executive L 4,428 / 2,008
    Cartier L 4,467 / 2,026
    Payload Capacity (pounds / kilograms)
    Passengers 900 / 408.24
    Cargo 2 00 / 90.72

Gross Vehicle Weight Rating

5,534 lbs. / 2,510.22 kilos
    Engine Data
    Engine type SOHC two-valve, 90-degree V-8
    Displacement 4.6 liters / 281 cu. in.
    Bore 3.55 in. / 90.2 mm
    Stroke 3.54 in. / 90.0 mm
    Compression ratio 9.4:1
    Horsepower and torque 239 hp @ 4,900 rpm, 287 lbs.-ft. torque @ 4,100 rpm
    Head Aluminum
    Block Deep-skirted cast iron with cross-bolted main bearings
    Intake manifold Tuned composite
    Exhaust manifold Cast iron high-sil moly
    Crankshaft Forged steel
    Valve sizes 44.50 mm intake, 36.01 mm exhaust
    Pistons Hypereutectic with low-friction coated skirts, low-tension rings
    Connecting rods Cracked powdered metal
    Engine management EEC-V with fail-safe cooling feature
    Fuel induction Sequential multi-port electronic fuel injection
    Oil capacity 6 quarts / 5.67 liters
    Ignition Coil-on-plug
    Emission control EEC-V with EGR and catalyst
    Emission level Interim Tier 2 Bin 7 (qualifies as ULEV in California)
    Recommended fuel Regular unleaded (87 octane)

Transmission

Model 4R70W four-speed automatic, with overdrive lockout
    Ratios
    1st 2.71
    2nd 1.53
    3rd 1.00
    4th 0.71
    Reverse 2.18
    Rear axle ratio 3.27:1
    Limo rear axle ratio 3.55:1
    Fuel Economy
    Highway 25 mpg
    City 17 mpg
    Fuel tank size 19 gal. / 71.92 liters
    Coefficient of drag 0.37
    Brakes
    Four-wheel power disc brakes with ABS, electronic brakeforce distribution and dual-rate panic-assist booster
    Front disc diameter 12.2-inch / 305 mm ventilated rotors, two-piston calipers
    Rear disc diameter 11.8-inch / 295 mm ventilated rotors, single-piston calipers
    Pad material Orga
    Brakes
    Four-wheel power disc brakes with ABS, electronic brakeforce distribution and dual-rate panic-assist booster
    Front disc diameter 12.2-inch / 305 mm ventilated rotors, two-piston calipers
    Rear disc diameter 11.8-inch / 295 mm ventilated rotors, single-piston calipers
    Pad material Organic
    Steering
    Type Variable ratio rack and pinion with speed-sensitive assist
    Turning diameter:
    Executive, Signature, Cartier 39.86 feet / 12.15 meters
    Cartier L, Executive L 41.6 feet / 12.7 meters
    Overall ratio 18.5:1
    Suspension
    Front suspension Independent short and long arm with monotube dampers, steel coil springs and stabilizer bar
    Rear suspension Live axle with Watt's linkage, monotube dampers, air springs and stabilizer bar
    Wheels and Tires
    Wheel size 17-inch by 7-inch "Euroflange" cast aluminum
    Tire size P225/60R17 Michelin LTX all-season
    Safety and Security
    Air Bags Dual stage driver and passenger front air bags; seat-mounted side air bags for outboard front seats
    Safety belts Three-point, height-adjustable safety belts for driver and outboard front passenger seat, with load-limiting retractors and retractor pretensioners; lap belt for center front seat; three-point safety belts for rear seating positions
    Child safety Child-proof rear door locks and rear seat LATCH mounting points
    Security SecuriLock passive anti-theft system, remote keyless entry
    There are several people who you can search on that sell automobile brochures. You can certainly easily find one for the 2003 Town Car. I've dealt with several of them and they are all honest and make a business of selling brochures.
  • tmonte44tmonte44 Member Posts: 3
    There is a recall on 1997 TC due to Cruise Control fire hazzard. Go to Google and type in 1997 Town Car recalls or check with Ford or your dealer.
    '97 Town Car, 78,320 miles go about 10 miles and it goes back to 78,320.
    Any suggestions?
    I finally found a brochure for what is left of the 2008 Town Car. One model - A Signature Limited plus the L and a couple of option packages. Doesn't look as if the Town Car is recieving much attention from Ford..
  • panamajackpanamajack Member Posts: 16
    just got a real fancy brochure in the mail from Lincoln,highliting all of it's cars. This is all on thick paper, high gloss color photos, the whole nine yards. it is about 28 pages long. I think that the interiors got a lot more press than the exteriors as there are a lot of 2 page spreads on a number of the autos' interiors. there are a few suv's and a truck featured, the MARK LT. But no town car. Even before I bought mine last year I knew they were going to stop producing it. I saw the lincoln manager at my local store last week and he played down the fact that he had no town cars. He said there were a few out there. Yea, right. Anyway, it's history, sure glad I got mine before they stopped making them. Oh yes, they have a page introducing the 2009 MKS. It really looks nice, can't get a real good look at the whole car but it sure is nice. Not in the same league as the town car. I'll be headed to Newport Beach in a couple of weeks for vacation, can hardly wait, looking forward to the drive.

Actually, I just looked at the brochure again, and the MKZ is the only auto Lincoln has. All the rest were suv's and a truck. the last page you have to turn upside down to see the 2009 MKS. The more I look at it, the more I like it. It has the grill from one of their concept cars, real cool. And what I can see of it, could give the bmers a run for the mone
    There IS a 2008 Town Car and Lincoln does have a brochure on it -the fold out one that you get in the mail and the expanded one that dealers have. As I said -there is one model -the Signature Limited plus the Signature L. I have no idea as to how dealers order them or how many are being built. I assume since the brochures are titled 2008 Town Car, there are Town Cars being sold.
    let's see if I got this right. there's a brochure on the 2008 town car, although it (08 town car) isn;'t so much as mentoned in the latest Lincoln brochure I've seen. My salesman say's they are around, but he doesn't have one and there aren't any to be seen in my zip code. other people say Lincoln makes them, but none of these people have seen one or know where to get one' There's a picture of the "new" Lincoln town car to the right of this post, but that ain't a real one and, it kinda looks like an 07.. Sounds like smoke and mirrors to me.
    Why don't you simply ask the dealer whether he can order one? If he can't then that answers the question. There are plenty of 2007's around as well as 2006's. Nothing has changed on them. Ford has a market for these cars in the livery business. There are hundreds of them just in the New York City area. Apparently Ford could care less whether or not you buy one because they only have one model available (plus the L) and they aren't advertising them.. With a limited supply of Lincoln Town Cars you aren't going to find a surplus of 2008's at every dealer. There might be some at big Lincoln/Mercury dealers. They may have to be special ordered. It is obvious that Ford is not pushing them but since there IS a catalog for them and Ford has a Lincoln web site that describes them I assume that they can be ordered. I'll look around for a 2007 when I'm ready so availability of an identical 2008 is not relative.
  • bremertongbremertong Member Posts: 436
    My 2005 Signature Limited only has 29,000 miles on it but am wondering what is happening to Town Car as the 2009 model year approaches. On the positive side, my Town Car gets around 29 miles to the gallon in highway driving which to me is a great fuel economy for such a comfortable and luxurious car. I also own a Cadillac DTS which only gets a little over 26 miles per gallon on highways. The Cadillac is not nearly as comfortable for me but I do like them both. I am hoping Lincoln is making enough on Town Car to keep it in production for 2009. If anyone knows please post so we will know.
  • izaclown1izaclown1 Member Posts: 118
    How are you getting 29 mpg? The best I have gotten on my 2002 is 26.5 mpg on flat ground on interstate going through Alabama and Mississippi near the coast on flat land.
    29 MPG is a regular average for me in my 2005 T.C. in highway driving.
    I am light on braking if there is no one behind me which I'm sure saves fuel and brakes. My DTS gets around 26.5 on the highway but weighs 400 lbs. less than T.C. I use regular fuel in T.C. and premium in DTS. At 29 MPG average I really don't feel I need a hybrid but hope they will be adapted to T.C. if the model remains in the Lincoln lineup. I was getting an average of about 30 MPG on my 2004 Deville so am disappointed about the drop in fuel economy in the 2006 model, think it has something to do with gear ratios.
    I guess I'll give up on the Town Car and look around for a year old DTS when I want to replace my 2003.. It is obvious with one model and no navigation system that the Town Car is no longer competitive and I don't want to buy an orphan. I get 31-33 MPG on my 2003 DeVille and it only has 64,000 miles on it so I'll probably keep it for another couple of years. It has been totally dependable. Hopefully Cadillac will replace its 2000 body in the next few years and offer something new and different. I was very interested in the Town Car but Ford doesn't seem to be.. I think that it is highly doubtful that there will be a 2009 Town Car unless you happen to be a livery fleet operator in New Jersey.
    I just finished a trip to newport beach and the 2007 town car, as always, performed greatly. I would drive the heck out of it even if it got 10 miles per gallon. Can't mention a cadillac and a town car in the same breath. How many Lincoln limos do you see and how many cadillac limos do you see. those people that make a living driving people around make a strong statement about the car. GM will probably be belly up pretty soon, just got passed big time by Toyota, damn I should have bought Toyota stock, still think I will. Town cars rule,
    Glad you are so happy with your Town Car, I like mine too. When I take my DTS out I enjoy it for different reasons than my Town Car. The T.C. has so far been far more reliable, the DTS has many good features too. It would be a difficult choice if I for any unexpected reason had to part with one or the other. Toyota stock is currently around $ 100 dollars a share, down from around $ 140 so you might do well to buy the stock. Ford stock went up more than 10 % today based on the fact that the company made a profit in the first quarter, I suspect Ford will temporarily pull back and you should strongly consider a purchase of Ford Motor as I think there is an improving set of circumstances with the company.
  • rmensrmens Member Posts: 2
    I am having a similar problem, I reset the climate control according to your instruction and the blower but did not see any Code, but the blower worked just for one day.
    I kept reseting but nothing is happening.
    So what is the problem... Blend door actuator or A/C relay/sensor?
    Please advise.. and thanks
  • anothercarranothercarr Member Posts: 1
    1993 Town Car door locks work if you are inside the car (manually), but when you exit the driver door, you are not able to lock driver door, even with key. The door panel is removed and don't know what to look for to repair or replace.
  • giggs2giggs2 Member Posts: 1
    Hello -
    I have a 1998 Lin TC. I have replaced the drive belt on my car because of a loud squealing noise :cry: upon starting, however after one day the sound came back and I was told it could be the belt tensioner. I replaced that too it worked for about a week and then the sound came back it was kinda quiet at first but has now returned to loud. I would greatly appreciate advice on this. Its really annoying although upon cranking after 5 minutes it quiets down, not stop but not as loud.
    Please advise.
  • md2md2 Member Posts: 15
    my tc is 2005 and i get 30mpg highway and 23 around town just a great car
  • euphoniumeuphonium Member Posts: 3,425
    Very good MPG. Now, speed up to 45 MPH. ;)
  • gdt001gdt001 Member Posts: 10
    I have a 97 signature I purchased new. Now has 164,000 miles and runs like a top. Engine and power train very good although I did have a problem with the transmission while under warranty. I pulled a light boat and started to get a "washboard" effect in high gear. It took the Lincoln repair shop two tries before they finally got it right. I'm amazed that I have not had any charging/starting problems since I bought the car. It is starting to show its age with little things. I can't lock and unlock my door with the key. Probably the solenoid for the door lock. Also, the passenger window will not work. I haven't found out yet how to get the door panel off to be able to check these things out. If anyone knows an easy way to do it, please let me know. It is a great car though and really good for long trips with lots of luggage. I have only used synthetic oil (Valvoline) in the engine since new. I changed the spark plugs once at 100,000 miles and change the oil and filter every 7000 miles. I only get about 22MPG on the road but that is usually going slightly over 70 MPH with the air on. The only thing I can say about buying an older car, do check the maintenance record to be sure it has been kept up to date and taken care of. If it was, it will still give you many years of riding comfort.
    After having to replace the power window motor in the driver's door of our previous TC, the shop foreman advised that slamming the door was not recommended.

Since then - our '94, purchased new, has the original window motors as I request the doors be closed "Gently". The '94 just turned 138K and runs like new. :)
  • peachpie56peachpie56 Member Posts: 6
    I just had the same symptoms and had both the tensioner and the idler pulley replaced at the same time. Cured it. :)
  • gjintheukgjintheuk Member Posts: 1
    Hi People
    We have just purchased a lincoln town car limo, we are in the uk and find parts are either hard to find or are silly prices. Can anyone recommend someone in the us that will ship to the uk??

• stephen62stephen62 Member Posts: 1
    What do you need?

I'm in Los Angeles
    Was at a Lincoln dealership today and was told by a sales person that has been there for several years that the Town Car is at an end with the 2008 model. While I was not certain he was correct I felt he was a reliable and knowledgeable source. Can anyone at this forum confirm this. The sales person also went on to say that there is speculation that the new Lincoln MKS
    will replace Town Car. We both agreed that with crude oil at $ 136 per barrel anything could happen regarding the roll out of the new MKS.
    If you sold Town Cars at a dealership with an abundance of 2007 and 2008 models, what would you say to the public?

Only a few of us are willing to spend the Bucks for a new design on frame containing the 5.4L engine, 6 speed transmission, that still seats six in comfort.

Otherwise, are we to be interested in the Mercury GM, LS? I don't think so.

The answer to your timely question is of great interest to the Livery buyers too.
    I THINK FORD IS ABOUT TO MAKE ANOTHER BOO BOO BY NOT MAKING THE TOWN CAR
  • whatamess1whatamess1 Member Posts: 7
    I'm wondering what I've done wrong - does the brand and type of oil make your engine sound like it's coming apart when you start it? If the car has been sitting for an hour or so and I restart it - it makes a rattleing sound like a rod is going to come off. Then in a second - the sound is gone - makes no noise while ideling or driving.

What's up?

Does the type and brand of oil make a difference?
    The only time that happens to me is when I've just changed the oil and filter. It rattles for just a few seconds until the oil has cirulated to where it belongs.

Otherwise a rattling sound on startup may indicate you are LOW on oil. :(

I use Mobil 1 synthetic in all of our cars and they are usually quiet after startup. :)
    They have been making Boo Boo's ever since installing a Crown Vic engine in the Town Car! :mad:
  • kenb757kenb757 Member Posts: 149
    What type of oil filter did you use? Did the car start making the noise after an oil/filter change? Cheap oil filters may not include an anti-drain valve, which means the filter may empty itself of oil after the engine is shutdown. Then upon every start, it's like you just changed the oil and the engine is starting out dry. Also, one or more of the hydraulic valve lifters can be defective.
  • duke281108duke281108 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2001 TC Exec. My problems started last winter when the car would not hold idle. That ended one day and now I have to pull a fuse in order to get the interior lights to go off. I have also lost my wipers.
    The shop I take it to has replaced the latch for the door, but the car still thinks the door is ajar. I was told that I would need a new lighting module? I was also told that I am looking at about a grand in repair cost.
    Considering that the door latch did not fix it and that the dash still reads Door Ajar, I am a little worried.
    So, any ideas guys?
    By the way, the doors also lock and unlock themselves randomly as you easy down the road. LOL!
    You're correct - I've been using a NAPA oil filter and will get a Motocraft one tomorrow and try it. The noise is after the car sits for 1/2 or more hours - only briefly does the noise last but it really sounds bad. I want to sell the car and I don't think anyone will buy it making the noise.

I'll try the filter change on Thursday morning.
    Thanks,
    Bob
    WOW - that's a mess - My left rear door stopped working from the inside and outside. Couldn't open it- the dealer charged me $490 to fix something that should not have broken in a 4 year old car.

I've sworn off American Cars for a while - the absence of durability has me miffed and I won't get over it soon. Too bad for them. I wrote a three page letter to the chairman of LM and never got a response. The squeaks and rattles, the right rear door problem, the rattle in the A/C vent, the peddle control stopped working, etc., shouldn't be an issue on a $40,000 car. It sure wouldn't be on an Infinity or Lexus etc.;,

So sad.
    Every thing in your post makes sense to me. Regarding the letter you sent, unless you sent it Certified mail with return receipt requested I would send it again. Better yet send the certified letter to the Chairman of the Ford Motor Company. A little more work for you but you may feel more satisfied when you receive the return receipt knowing that they at least received your letter. Hope you will post results here. Best wishes.
  • ltdkittenltdkitten Member Posts: 3
    The Lincoln town car is one of a dieing breed .If you want a truely full-size car , one with class and styling , you need the town car .The smooth ride , the huge body dripping in chrome .Grab it while you can because "the mad" is phaseing it out .The Lincoln town car is your very last chance at full size American luxury
    Ya know - - - The Town Car is really just a good riding car with a typical American process incorporated into it. It's not a particularly good car though - compared to its competition and price. You'll have three times the car if you buy a Lexus or Infinity and they'll last longer without little things breaking or ceasing to work.

My adjustable foot pedals don't work, the door locks work intermittently, the steering wheel makes scraping noises when turned to the left and back again (not to the right), the right rear door broke and wouldn't open from the inside or out, the gear selector is directly in the was of the way oversize buttons for data i.e., tripometer, fuel economy, distance to empty, etc., Did any of the engineers ever sit in this before they produced it? I digress - the trunk release has just started to open at random, that's a nice feature, the power mirrors operate like an erector set but jerkier and there's more - So is a great ride a good trade for all the quality problems and poor engineering? NO it isn't. More and more Americans accept "mediocre" as acceptable. Not me - I'm done with American Cars. What a shame.

What's so sad is that the demise of the American Car company is right in front of them (the exec's) and they're more interested in boosting the stock price rather than making a car which holds up for 7 - 10 years (so you'll have to buy more often) and producing a "quality" automobile. Have you driven a Toyota lately? What an awesome car! How about a Honda? Again - bullet proof.

Say good-bye Ford/LM/GM - you're all dying.
    My Suggestion - get rid of the blasted thing and buy a Lexus or Infinity. Problem solved.
    I read and understand your opinion of the Town Car. Please, advise what year it is.
    Thank you.
    I DONT NO WHAT YEAR YOU HAVE BUT MY TOWN CAR IS GREAT HAVE NO PROBLEMS I HAVE OWNED MANY LINCOLNS OVER THE YEARS AND THE TOWN CAR IS THE BEST MY LAST TOWN CAR THAT I TRADED IN HAD 300 THOUSAND MILES ON IT AND NO TROUBLE SO MAYBE YOU JUST GOT A LEMON IT HAPPENS FROM TIME TO TIME MY MERCEDES BENZ GAVE ME MORE TROUBLE THAN MY TOWN CAR EVER DID
    I couldn't disagree more. Last year I bought a 2007 town car. It is great. No problems at all. I test drove all the luxuries from infinity to Cadilac and $ for $ this is the best luxury car around. those rice runners can't compare, they are small and doen't have the room and luxury to compare to the town car. Today I was driving around town and saw a number of Lincoln Limos. Didn't see any Lexus Limos or Infinity limos. How many have you seen?
    I HAVE ROLLS ROYCE MERCEDES BENZ AND A BENTELY AND I JUST LOVE MY TOWN CAR IN FACT I HAVE TWO A 2005 AND A 2008 BEST CARS I HAVE BETTER THAN MY ROLLS ROYCE AS FAR AS RIDE NO SERVICE PROBLEMS ETC SO I DONT KNOW WHAT YOU HAVE BUT I WOULD NOT GIVE UP MY LINCOLNS
    My car is a 2003. And to your 2007 - I bet it is a great car, for now. Wait until its nearing it's 3rd birthday. You'll have a great ride but with several little items breaking. My hood squeeks when I shut the drivers door - started after the 2nd year and I hear in the same thing in limo's. They haven't fixed it - Lincoln that is - and the flimsy arms rests on the front doors - they work about like a six grade shop project. AND you're right about not seeing any Lexus Limo's - who's what to turn one of those into a limo? Linc's are the perfect vehical for limo's but for everyday drivers where you'd expect a $45,000 to last 5 or six years without being agrivated by things which should never be an issue. You won't find a Honda or Toyota, Lexus, et al, rear door breaking where you can open it from the inside or out, you won't find squeeky noises from the hood or control you can't see from the drivers seat - what's up with that??????? Don't they sit in these things before they produce them in mass?

That's the point I'm trying to make. If you could have a new Linc every 2.5 years they'd be great and I'd be ranting about how good they are too. I bought my $42,000 car when it was two years old and had 30K on it and paid $19,000 for it. I won't buy another.