Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevrolet Lumina

Comments

• sassbluesassblue Member Posts: 2
    I haven't read all the messages, but in contrast to the glowing reports of other Lumina owners, I am now looking to trade in my LS and its crappy 3.4L engine. I have owned my car since May '97, only have 59,000 mis. on it and have been nickeled and dimed out of a lot more than a nickel or a dime. Mushy brakes, back brakes that were never set for the brake pads to make contact with anything, dead alternator, fritzed-out windshield wipers, etc., etc. The latest and, hopefully, last disaster was a solenoid stuck open on the EGR assembly ($265 for new assembly, $440 entire bill). Unfortunately, the hot emissions gasses from the opening have fried my 5th and 6th "double-platinum" spark plugs and I'm now facing another $130 bill to replace them all. Hopefully, I'll find something else soon. Love the interior and the roominess, but I hate the $750 a year in upkeep. If anyone notices a high revving at start-up that alternates with a putt-putting idle, have the EGR checked or you could be looking at a compounding problem. (Cleaning doesn't work, the assembly needs replaced - paid for one of them too.) Good Luck!
  • laborboylaborboy Member Posts: 2
    I bought a new 1997 LS with a 3.1 . The car ran fine until 66K. The service engine light came on so I took it in and was told it needed a new fuel injector to the tune of $317.00. I had it put in and drove another two weeks and another injector went out. I than lost my sense of humor and raised holy ---- with the dealer. I explained to him that I was not paying another $ 317.00 for an injector so he better get on the phone with the zone rep. and get this taken care of. He did and GM paid for that one and two more that followed within a month. I than decided my car was to unreliable so I traded for a new 1999 Lumina LS with a 3.1 engine thinking that the 97 must have been a fluk. Well guess what, at 15K the engine starts running ruff and I says to myself , SELF ,no this can't be, but yes it was, the injectors are fouling out, but GM found an easier way to fix the problem this time, they flush them out with some kind of fluid which removes the blockage. This happened in oct.2000. Guess where I was yesterday, back at my friendly GM dealer getting the injectors flushed again at 21300 miles. looks like a regular part of maintenance now. So to say the 3.1 is a good engine I can not agree with. I believe GM does not make the 3.1 any more. Anybody else out there with the same problem?
  • yurakmyurakm Member Posts: 1,345
    GM still makes the 3.1l engine. You can found them at least in three 2001 cars: Chevy Malibu, Buick Century, and Pontiac Grand Prix.

Though, in the summer of 1999 GM changed the design somewhat (mostly the engine intake), and currently the engine makes 170-175 hp, instead of 150-155.

Concerning the injectors:

I have a 98 Chevy Malibu with the same 3.1l engine. My dealer cleaned the injectors with the 30k miles maintenance. It cost about $100 (injectors only: total was about $400, including serpentine belt, thorough inspection of the car, and several small things).

Did not feel anything bad with the engine before cleaning, and did not notice any difference after. Probably, you are using a gas producing more deposits, or have a bad fuel filter.
  • laborboylaborboy Member Posts: 2
    The engine started lossing power, like it was missing. Than the dash light came on. All the dealer has to do is plug the analizer into the car computer and they can tell which cylinder is miss firing, and how many times. GM will tell you to add a fuel line cleaner to your gas every 1500 miles to keep the injectors clean. In fact they will even sell you some for about $7.50 a bottle. I think not. I did'nt buy a new car so I can add fuel line cleaner every week and a half at $7.50 a pop.I received a survey after the first time they cleaned them out and I explained what happened to my 1997 and that I really was not up for that same problem on my 1999. I also told them that I will not be paying to clean the injectors when the warrantee runs out. Well this must have got their attention because they called me and we had a nice chat. GM has started a file on my car for every time it goes in. Boy do I ever feel special having my very own file, what a lucky guy I am, yea right.
  • sassbluesassblue Member Posts: 2
    In addition to my previous message about the wonders of the LS model, I have also experienced an alarming oil consumption by my 3.4L nightmare. In every other car I have owned, I have seldom had to add oil between filter changes. I add approximately three quarts now. Just love those dashboard lights! If it isn't "service engine soon" it's "low oil". Looked at a very nice Taurus tonight. Hope Chevy chokes on my Lumina.
  • angelellenangelellen Member Posts: 1
    I'm looking at a '92 Lumina with 135,000 miles to drive until I can get a new car in about 6 mos.My Voyager needs another transmission ! I drive 500-600 highway miles to and from work every week and need a reliable car. This one has been maintained by my mechanic and he says its a "good car", also that the "brakes are good" (seems that's an issue). Any advice or comments would be appreciated in making my choice. How do they handle in snow ? What kind of gas mileage do they get? Any major problems to look for? It drives well,(no noises, skips or other noticeable problems) and started after 2 weeks buried in a snow bank. Got any advice ?
  • sterling1953sterling1953 Member Posts: 1
    WE OWN A 1993 LAMINA EURO 3.4 AND HAVE FOR THE LAST SIX MONTHS REGRETTED IT! SINCE THE SUMMER OF 2000 IT HAS COST US DEARLY $600 FOR ITS' SECOND ALTERNATOR $500 FOR A FUEL PUMP $700 FOR A SENSOR!!!! YES A SENSOR BURIED IN THE ENGINE THAT TOOK EIGHT HOURS LABOR AND FINALLY A CHRISTMAS PRESENT OF A BLOWN HEAD GASKET ESTIMATE;$1030.00 WHILE They're IN THERE FIXING THAT IT WAS RECOMMENDED WE REPLACE THE TIMING BELT,TENSIONER AND WATER PUMP. TOTAL $1500.I THINK CM SHOULD BE VERY PROUD OF THIS BEAUTY. THEY HAVE FOUND THIS ENGINE TO BE A GOLD MINE OF REPAIR BILLS. SO MUCH IN FACT THAT THE TOOLS USED IN THE REPAIR OF THE 3.4 ARE NOT AVAILABLE TO OTHER REPAIR SHOPS OF ANY SIZE. WHEN I CALLED AROUND TO FIND A SHOP TO POSSIBLY DO THE JOB CHEAPER I WAS MET WITH THE NEWS THAT CHEWY HAS THE MARKET ALL WRAPPED UP AND THE TOOLS ALSO FOR THE 3.4 REPAIRS.I HAVE ALWAYS BOUGHT GM AND MY BROTHER WORKS FOR GM.THE LUMINA WE OWN HAS HAD NOTHING BUT TLC SINCE THE DAY IT CAME HOME.WE CAN'T IMAGINE WHAT ELSE COULD POSSIBLY HAPPEN TO THIS CAR BUT HOPE THAT NOTHING DOES UNTIL WE GET SOMETHING NEW TO REPLACE IT THIS SUMMER!!!! STERLING1953
  • theboxcartheboxcar Member Posts: 1
    I'll be looking at a 98 LTZ w/37K on it. After reviewing many posts it seems that the only significant problem areas are the brakes fading and the mushy seats.

Is the seat problem related to the split bench, cloth buckets or any available seat? The one I'm looking at has cloth buckets. Any other areas of concern I should consider when looking at this vehicle?
  • this_is_nascarthis_is_nascar Member Posts: 199
    Go for it. You won't be sorry. I had the same car, prior to trading it in for my 2000 Impala LS. I really liked the LTZ. The main reason I traded was because I had one of the rare LTZ's that had the 3.1 and not the 3.8 liter engine.
  • drtrddeputydrtrddeputy Member Posts: 1
    Hi there. I was wondering. I have a 1997 Chevy Lumina with a 3.1 V-6. Has anyone had any problems related to the maroon/burgundy paint on the Lumina's? And has anyone had any problems with their Daylights? I have had mine rewired I know 3 times at the dealer (or at least they say they did), it's been in numerous times for blown fuses regarding the daylights and blown fuses that knock out my a/c. I CANNOT get my daylights to stay on. As soon as I would pull out from the dealer, they would go right back off!!! (Could be the dealer, huh?) I bought it used when the car was 1 year old. I have had it 2 years come January 13th, and other than the problems mentioned above, it's been a pretty good car. Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks for taking the time to read this.
  • pipes3kpipes3k Member Posts: 5
    My girl friend has a 1994 Lumina Euro with the 3.1 V6. I am trying to find the pcv valve so I can replace it. I found one web site that said on top of the motor between the valve covers. Does that mean under the intake or am I just not seeing it? Thanks
  • soaru2soaru2 Member Posts: 1
    My Sister's 95 Chewy Lamina experienced a brake spring failure during her recent visit for the Holidays. She mentioned a noise and a clunk and noticed her brake light come on for a short time. She then drove the car for about 100 miles to my house and the next morning when leaving the rear passenger wheel was locked solid. I took off the wheel to have a look at the drum and when removing the drum had a piece of the spring fall out. I was able to get a replacement spring and installed it. She was then able to continue on her trip and made it back home OK. The issue here is: The spring broke in an area where there is no material in contact with it, thus there was no wearing potential, it fractured cleanly, and I am wondering if any other people out there have had a similar experience? It seems to me that if the wheel locked up while driving there could have been dire consequences. The spring is a single horse shoe shaped type.
  • teoteo Member Posts: 2,508
    That engine is a failure because it was essentially a Pushrod powerplant converted 'on the fly' to a cammed engine, hence the problems most Lumina 3.4L DOHC have been putting up during all these years. This engine was never conceived as a cammed designed from the ground up.

GM finally discontinued this beast in the late 1990's and the Lumina was given (as it should have been a long time before) the powerful and bulletproof 3800 engine. When buying a used Lumina, make sure the car doesn't have the 3400 DOHC engine in it. The Lumina should be a reliable car with either pushrod V-6 on 3.1L and 3.8L displacements.

Also check out the 2000/01 Impala, a cut above the Lumina.

Note: the 3400 OHV V-6 found on the base Y2K Impala is in NO WAY RELATED to the infamous 3400 DOHC V-6 engine on earlier Luminas. The 3400 found on the Impala is a solid reliable engine (Altough the 3800 Series II is the best of the best)and it is used in many other GM vehicle applications:

* Pontiac Grand AM
    * Oldsmobile Alero
    * Chevrolet Impala (Base)
    * Chevy Venture and Pontiac Montana Minivans.

The 3400 DOHC V-6 is no longer in production. Beware of this engine!
  • prestoneprestone Member Posts: 13
    Hey there NASCAR, had a 1998 Lumina LTZ for a three year lease commencing in Aug of 1997. Over all, it was a great car. Mine had the 3.8 V6 and was loaded and was super reliable. Jump at the chance to get one if it's still available. The leather seat padding was a bit too thin for my liking however. But, that was basically the only problem.

Was looking to get a Impala LS, but it just didn't fit me to well. After driving Chevy's for the last 15 years, I ended up leasing a loaded 2000 Mercury Sable LS Premium with adjustable pedals. This car fits me perfectly. I hope other car manufactures start incorporating adjustable pedals. Again, if you can lay your hands on a 3.8 LTZ, do it. Good luck NASCAR!
  • Buck531Buck531 Member Posts: 14
    I currently have a 98 LTZ with approx. 33k miles on it. I'm looking for performance parts for the car. Especially a new exaust and air intake systems (ram air or what not). I haven't found a place anywhere on the net that handles stock replacements for this car. I could get a universal muffler but I don't want to deal with trying to get it to fit. Has anyone out there found a web site for performance parts on Lumina's. I've been to the local parts stores and they laugh at me when I say I want a new exaust for it. Hell, it's pushing 200 Hp now.. why can't I upgrade to say... 230 or 240? It beats the crap out of a lot of cars out there on the road now. Thanks.

Buck
  • fathertyriciusfathertyricius Member Posts: 116
    I own a 98 Lumina with 30000 miles. So far from the day I bought it, the car has been problem free. What's happening now is that if I turn the vent control to have the top vents work, the air comes from underneath the dash instead. Up to this point if I came off the accelerator the air would come from underneath the dash to the above front vents, but now it's constantly coming from underneath. Anyone experience this problem? If so what were the causes? Thanks.
  • nafrong00nafrong00 Member Posts: 7
    You have a classic case of a vacuum leak. The HVAC system runs off of engine vacuum. If there is a vacuum leak the vents will blow from the bottom or heater position. When you accelerate the vacuum builds up and the air is able to blow from the vent position. But your leak has grown and now the engine simply doesn't have enough vacuum left to control the HVAC system. I had the same problem. It cost very little..... like $80 to fix.
    Thanks for your input nafrong00.. much appreciated. Im still covered under the warranty so it wont cost me anything but a little time at the Chevy dealer. Thanks again.
  • ssmartssmart Member Posts: 7
    Buck, I know your message was posted a while back considering today is Jan. 30, 2001. Just in case you haven't been to the dealer about that noise in the front end of your car especially first thing in the morning, mine was doing the exact same thing and your front struts need to be replaced. I just got mine Jan. 2001 with 25,000 miles on it.
    To netmaner,

My 90 Euro started leaking oil real bad and I thought I was from the main seal. Come to find out, the intake manifolds still have a hole in them where the distributor used to install. There is a cover with 1 bolt and an -ring. My mechanic called it the "oil pump seal". It was about $100 to diagnose and repair. He put a die in my oil to make sure he knew exactly were the leak was coming from. Hope this helps. I know your post was a long time ago.
    To pipes3k,

Yes the pcv valve is a pain to get to on the 3.1. I never did replace mine because of the cost involved just to get to the bang thing. You cannot see it without disassembling the top of the engine according to my mechanic who was the shop foreman for years with a Chevy dealer.
    To: this_is_nascar, jpstax, and Edmund2001

I just purchased a 99 LTZ with 25K on it. It has bench seats in the front. It also has the LTZ emblem on the dash above the glove box and the LTZ embroidered in the middle of the rear seat and the LTZ emblem at the right rear of the trunk lid just below the spoiler. It also has the 3800 Series II, the 16" spoke rims, and the spoiler on the trunk lid. I also drove 3 LTZ's before I purchased this one (mine being one of the 3 I drove) and all had bench seats in the front as well as all the markings of an LTZ. I just now looked up the LTZ on Edmunds under used cars since it is no longer manufactured and the buckets are listed as an option. Check it for yourself. this_is_nascar, just because we didn't get buckets doesn't mean we didn't get an LTZ. After all, I didn't by it for the seats, I bought for that 3800 Series II horsepower! No offense, please. Have a nice day or night.
  • inalabamainalabama Member Posts: 1
    Anybody got any experience and suggestions concerning using a 1998 Lumina 3.1L V-6 to tow a 2000 pound max pop-up camper? We adore this car, but have concerns with the transmission (I know to tow in 3rd, but not overdrive); we're planning on adding a trans cooler. Any advice would be appreciated sent to inalabama@mindspring.com Thank you for your consideration!
    The vent problem that I experienced as per described in post #268 was repaired. The problem was a split vacuum hose, just like Nafrong00 predicted. The hose was located under the battery. It took a while for the mechanic to find. He started tracing from under the dash board towards the engine block checking every hose. At least all my hoses were checked. Everything is up and running well. Thank you Mr.Goodwrench.
    Glad to hear that it is, in fact, an LTZ. For whatever reason GM really changed what was considered standard and optional during the '98 and '99 model season. Believe it or not, my LTZ actually had the 3.1 liter engine, NOT the 3.8.
  • rooba10rooba10 Member Posts: 38
    For all of you to know, Chevy Lumina is built in Oshawa, Canada. It has always been built there since GM started building Lumina's in 1988. Chevy Lumina, Impala, Monte Carlo, and Buick Century and Regal are all built in Oshawa. That plant has one of the best paint shop in GM. I have never seen a Lumina with peeling paint, although I have seen a lot of S-10's, C/K trucks, and Grand Am's. Chevy Lumina with 3.1L and 3.8L engines are excellent buys, stay away from 3.4L DOHC engines found only in Luminas, Grand Prix, and Cutlass Supremes. Buick never used that engine. The alternators in earlier model GM 2.8 and 3.1L was a problem, so was the rear disc brakes until they switched to rear drums in 95.

Last year, 2000MY was the last year for public to be able to purchase Lumina from the Chevy dealers. in 2000CY ( part 2000 and part 2001) only some 45,000 Lumina were built for fleet use only. GM will stop building Lumina's all together this year.

If you are looking for a good, roomy, and reliable car, look for 95-99 Lumina's.
    I thought one of the points of the LTZ was the 3.8 liter power plant although the LTZ trim seems to take away the pure family car look. A car that looks horsepower should have better than average P. I don't mean to be putting down the 3.1 liter however. I had a 90 Eurosport with the 3.1 and it was an excellent car. I put 128,000 ticks on it. I read some post earlier in the forum from folks living in Canada that said the 3.1 was more the standard engine in their country. I thought all LTZ's purchased in the US had the 3.8. Thanks for the feedback.

smart
    Amen to staying away from the 3.4 liter DOHC engine. I never had one. My 90 Eurosport had a 3.1, but I heard more than 1 mechanic warn about that engine. They say it is very complicated, but however powerful.
    I had also thought that all LTZ's had the 3.8. That's why I was surprised when I discovered that mine didn't. That was the main reason I traded it in on my 2000 Impala LS. The 3.8 is head and shoulders over the 3.1
    I agree 100% about the 3.8 over the 3.1. Also, from what I have read on this forum and from mechanics in town, the 3.8 is one of the best V-6's CM has ever made from a longevity viewpoint as well. Happy Trails
  • majikjeniemajikjenie Member Posts: 1
    I'm considering purchasing a chevrolet lumina 1998. It has 9000 miles on it and am concerned about the steering wheel being too close to the chest area (I'm 5'0 foot)and have to sit close to the steering wheel to reach the pedals comfortably. In event of a front collision the bag would employ with such force as to hit the chest possibly causing the heart to stop. Similar to a judo hit in the mid-sternum area, which could also potentially cause the heart to stop. The sheriff's department stated the steering wheel should be at least 10 inches from the chest. Is there something that can be done about this? or should I forget this one :( Has anyone had experience with their air bags and the amount of force it employs? Would really appreciate an answer soon. Thanks.......Majikjenie
  • sho94_2000sho94_2000 Member Posts: 2
    My dad has a 1998 Lumina LTZ with the 3.8, which is one of the best engines in the world, and he has every option offered for that car execpt for on star. This car is fast, but not as fast as the Taurus SHO. My question is what does LTZ stand for?
  • prestoneprestone Member Posts: 13
    This information may be too late for your purchase of the 1998 Lumina you were looking at.

I drove a 1998 Lumina LTZ for 3 years and really enjoyed it except for one major problem. The problem is that I'm only 5'1 and had to sit very near the steering wheel in order to reach the pedals.

While driving my LTZ for three years (overall, it was a great car!) I worried about the possibility of an accident severe enough to deploy the airbags, fortunately, that moment never came. When looking for another car to lease this last summer, I did look long and hard at the new Chevy Impala LS, but it just didn't fit me well. I ended up with a 2000 Mercury Sable LS Premium which had a great feature, factory installed electric adjustable pedals! (These pedals adjust up to three inches with the touch of a button!) I had found a car that perfectly fit me! Now I sit about 12 inches from the steering wheel.

Ford Motor Company makes several cars with the adjustable pedals, the Ford Tarus, Crown Victoria, thier near twins, the Mecury Sable and the Mercury Grand Marquis.

I drove Chevy's for 15 years and hope they will soon incorporate adjustable pedals in their vehicles.

I know of several sites on the Internet that sell pedal extensions. They are.........
    www.automobility.com/page2.htm
    www.garyecolleinc.com
    www.pedalextenders.com

Hope some of this info will prove useful to you Majikjenie. Take care
  • chuck98chuck98 Member Posts: 2
    I drive a 98 Lumina with the 3.1 V6
    It has acceptable power but i'd like to try to get a few more hp out of it if possiable.
    Are there any reasonably affordable ways to make this motor perform better?
    Ive heard of the K&N air filters helping, but by how much?
    What about a new computer chip?
    Thanks
  • porchdoggieporchdoggie Member Posts: 2
    My 96 Lumina sometimes won't turn over. I bang the under hood fuse boxes until it'll go, sometimes waiting 5 min. does the same thing. Anyone have any ideas, the fuseboxes are filthy, I tried cleaning them with limited success. Maybe I'm barking up the wrong tree...
  • ourjagourjag Member Posts: 10
    We own a 1996 Chevrolet Lumina bought brand new in April 1996 with a 3.1 liter engine! It as been and still is a truly GREAT CAR!!!!
  • kunze1kunze1 Member Posts: 19
    We put 50k miles on a base 95 Lumina with 3.1 engine with no problems at all. Sold it and got a 99 Lumina with same motor and have 12k on it. Again, no problems, just change the oil and go. Bench seats are quite comfortable to us, even on long all day trips. 3.1 motor has plenty of power for passing on two lane roads. Get 29 to 31 mpg on 70 mph interstate drives. Too bad they are ceasing production! Great, roomy, economical car to buy and drive!
  • jindiejindie Member Posts: 1
    I have the 92 3.4. I don't think it's burning oil, but it seems to be blowing it out on the exhaust. I have to put in about 1 quart a week at least, and I don't drive a lot. We replaced the rear main seal; that didn't fix it. It smokes when I stop from the oil on the exhaust. It runs very well going down the road, lots of power...the motor doesn't sound bad...the pcv valve has to be replaced quite often, it gets gooey...Please help! I love how the car runs, but it's killing us on the oil!
  • kcwolfpack59kcwolfpack59 Member Posts: 122
    I tried a K and N air filter in my Monte (2-door Lumina) and it seemed to make a slight difference in gas mileage, maybe one-half to one more MPG. I believe the 3.1 is a little underrated as 0-60 times are in the 8.8 to 9 second range. I think the 3.1 is a fine motor. I have not had any problems in 4 years and 49K. The engine is smooth and powerful. Its passing power exceeds my nerve. Porchdoggie, it sound as though you have starter problems.
  • timmyg71timmyg71 Member Posts: 5
    I am thinking about buying a used Lumina ('95 or so). Are there any things I should look for when looking at them (reoccuring problems, etc.)? Thanks for the help in advance.
  • minnbillminnbill Member Posts: 28
    Reading all the previous 290+ posts on this topic should give you a good idea of what to avoid. The '95-'99 years seem to be leaps and bounds ahead of the earlier Luminas in terms of reliability. I've owned a '98 Lumina for 2 years and have had absolutely zero problems. Regular oil changes and tire rotations have been it for me, though I'm about due for new brake pads. Good luck...
  • buy1reliablebuy1reliable Member Posts: 1
    I was just checking out the reliability data for lumina's.
    I've looked before, and was pleasantly surprised at 7.8 ratings on
    Edmunds, but those were for 1994 or 1993 models.

I just saw a '95 for sale today. When I checked the reliability rating,
    I was shocked to see it drop down to 5.6 !

In '96 it goes back up, above 7.5 . . ..

Why is there such a notable dip for the 1995 car?
    Can anybody give me some background on this?
  • larryn2larryn2 Member Posts: 18
    does any one know how to shut off day time running lites in 2001 lumina this is a police car used for survalance lites dont help neather does chevy
  • bh0001bh0001 Member Posts: 340
    Don't know if the 2001 works the same as my 1998, but if you apply the parking brake before starting the car the lights do not come on until you release the parking brake. This is a bit of a pain if you drive to a location and want to turn off the lights. You have to park, apply the parking brake, turn off the car, and start it up again. Not a "clean" solution, but at least it might give you "stealth" mode!
  • tonyj3tonyj3 Member Posts: 1
    I am an 18yr old college students who used to own a '92 Lumina but the miles stacked up and a replacement was need. So I went in search of another one, and picked up a '95 Lumina LS with less than half the miles for a great price. My '92 was very reliable with only the transmission and the alternator needing replacements. (the transmission was need to be fixed cause my friend kicked the shifter throwing it in to reverse while going 60mph)
    To the na-sayers of the Impala I'd say drive it. I have and I absoulty love it it is large and strong. In 2005 when it goes to a rear wheel platform and gets the V-8 i'll be first in line to buy one. For the short women who bought the Ford Taurus or Sable I pitty you, Fords are quite crappy cars. The 3.1 may be an old dinosaur engine but it stays storng, and has decent power for it's price.
  • felipe47felipe47 Member Posts: 2
    I am a happy owner of a'95 Lumina with 125,000 miles. I have been driving it without incident from 71,000 miles on. It was a fleet vehicle that I purchased from my company. It has always make a creaking noise whenever I turn the steering wheel in either direction. My mechanic informed me that it is a suspension issue without safety concerns and that it will cost about $300 to repair. I believe that it is an annoying problem with the rack and pinoin steering. Has anyone had a similar problem and if so what was the remedy?
    Felipe47.
  • bearmerbearmer Member Posts: 37
    Can somebody tell me what VIN codes (8th character in VIN) the 3.1L used? Were the codes different for federal and California? Were any engines besides the 3.1L used in MY98?
  • yorgeyorge Member Posts: 1
    I just buy a 95' Lumina, it's the latest model for a used import (from the US) car that can be bought here in Mexico. My old car was a 93 Lumina.
  • powerjackpowerjack Member Posts: 2
    I have a 1998 Lumina LTZ and I am having trouble with a noise from the steering. It is making a groaning noise while turning at low to moderate speeds. I have mentioned it to two GM dealers but they both say there is nothing to worry about. If anyone can help it would be appreciated.
  • krricekrrice Member Posts: 1
    Hi porchdoggie,don't know if you have your problem fixed yet. I had a similar problem with my lumina, after much trial and error I found it was the crank shaft sensor. Since the fix I have had no problems with it starting. Good Luck