Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volvo S40

Comments

• scooterzscooterz Member Posts: 20
    "You sure the Euro delivery allows you to avoid the premium package so you can keep the T-tech fabric?"

He can because Select or Premium is required. He mentioned the Select package so he is the clear. In fact, that is how I ordered mine with the select. I already have received it and I am loving it.

As far the ride, it is very subjective to the driver. I have the T5 AWD, and the ride is not harsh at all to me. In fact, it is very comfortable. The car has the Sculptur, 17 " rims, and since it's AWD, it has the dynamic suspension. I guess it is all based on one own's experience, so let's all take each other's opinions with a grain a salt, and the true measure is yourself and your butt.
  • calhoncalhon Member Posts: 87
    "The S40's DSTC originally from the Focus ..."

Interesting! What were the advantages of that approach?

STC (traction control) and DSTC consist mostly of firmware/software that's implemented in the brake control module (BCM). According to the S40 technical documents, the S40's BCM is a Mark 60, similar to the Mark 25 system used on P2 Volvos, but adapted for smaller cars.

STC is standard on the S40 as it is on other Volvos. (Does the Focus offer traction control as a standalone feature?) Optional DSTC adds yaw control and EBA to STC, just like other Volvos. It seems to me that S40's STC/DSTC implementation is very similar to other Volvo's.

Wouldn't it have been easier to start with the STC and DSTC programs written for other Volvos, rather than adapting a stability control program from a car with an entirely different BCM?
  • creakid1creakid1 Member Posts: 2,032
    stated that Ford was in charge of the dynamic know how including the suspension & steering design, while Mazda & Volvo did the other areas.

Some Focus, such as the American SVT & ST are equipped w/ traction control only. While some other American Focus prior to '04 were available w/ the full stability control AdvanceTrak.

Back in Europe around the year 2000, the Focus w/ the full stability control ESP was being praised by magazines for being un-intrusive while still takes good care of you when you need it. I can see why the programing can be so liberal, 'cause that suspension set up is already very predictable at the limit.

Then someone from France posted on Edmund that the Mazda3's DSC felt the same way.

The only stability-control equipped C1/P1 car I've experienced was the S40, both 2.4i & T5, during that Volvo invitation test drive in the rain. & it felt great while drifting neutrally. It did seem every bit as good as what I heard about the Focus-tuned program. That's all I can say.
  • dhanleydhanley Member Posts: 1,531
    "You sure the Euro delivery allows you to avoid the premium package so you can keep the T-tech fabric? "

Yes.

"The slush box's torque-converter slip actually shortens the turbo lag by letting the engine rev sooner from standing still."

No. When driving stick you can rev the engine a little and ease into gear. When an automatic helps is maintaining boost between shifts under hard acceleration. I even spoke to the skip barber racing instructor about how nicely the stick mitigated the lag, and he agreed.

I really think all of us have heard enough about the focus. If we wanted one, we'd get one.

dave
    So, what you stated earlier, and quite boldly, as fact is mere conjecture?
  • lev_berkovichlev_berkovich Member Posts: 858
    I site with you, calhon, the STC has been on Volvo for ages, and DSTC has been developed for the 1999 Volvo S80, years before Volvo has merged with Ford.
    I have read a good article about the roots of the modern active safety technology of Volvo, but could not find a link right away. I will keep looking and will post it later.
    http://www.autoworld.com/news/volvo/evolution.htm

and now they are at mark 60. But it is all from the same source.
  • roadrunner4roadrunner4 Member Posts: 5
    Thanx for the advice but i don't think the RX-8 is an option given i am looking for a compact family car. But will certainly re-evaluate the 16 inch non-sport option.
  • queenkris00queenkris00 Member Posts: 8
    I'm looking at buying an S40 and I was wondering if the moonroof was a slide or a tilt one... I've tried looking on-line, but haven't been able to find my answer. Thanks.
    Both:
    http://apps.volvocars.us/ownersdocs/2005/2005_S40/05s40_03b.htm#p- - - - g59 (Scroll to page 59.)

For future reference, Volvo owner's manuals and other documentation are available online at:
    http://www.volvocars.us/_Tier2/Owners/Library.htm
  • carlos2carlos2 Member Posts: 1
    Don't buy it!!!!!!!!! I bought a 2005 S40 four months ago, and since then I have had nothing but trouble. In the first 24 hours it dumped me in the middle of the highway. 1.5 months ago I got another problem with the key : I could not start the car again.
    Now I am complaining by local authorities, I want the car to be changed, but no one (the dealer, Volvo or Ford) will take responsability.
    Personally, I like the car, it is nice looking, good drive, but quality and service is very poor.
    Hope this helps for everyone to make an informed purchase and do not get surprised.
    By the way, the sunroof is automatic and slides and tilts as well.
  • cotmccotmc Member Posts: 1,081
    Wow! My experience with our 2004.5 S40 2.4i has been completely the opposite. We're coming up on 10 months with it, without a single problem to report.

In comparison, we had numerous problems with our Lexus RX330, such as warped brake rotors, CD player, power mirrors, brake light switch, under-body rattle, rear power gate, etc. The level of service was good, but we never expected this lack of quality control from Lexus!

But no problems with our S40. Our only service visit was the 7500-mile oil change service. I haven't had an opportunity yet to determine if the level of service is good or not!
  • creakid1creakid1 Member Posts: 2,032
    Is yours one of them?
  • nofeernofeer Member Posts: 381
    when my wifes a6 comes to lease end, she wants the s40 sooooo what problems do i need to be aware of??? she wants the t5 awd, leather. red with black leather interior.
    what packages do you suggest
    is scheduled maintenance included. she liked the audi it covered everything down to the winshield wiper blades. she looooovvvvved that car, doens't like the new a6 (they ruined it was her comment) so she looked at the a4 but liked the s40 better, sexier, cooler, distinctive is she wrong, should we look at something else. she wants awd.
    Who can say? It's a new car so we don't know reliability. It's got excellent safety scores, so if your wife likes it, why not? The AWD drives well. It'd definitely, 100% get the car with DSTC. I wouldn't get any new car without it.

BTW, your family pictures are adorable!!

dave
  • carbertcarbert Member Posts: 23
    Have you found that the S40 is available with DSTC? (Short of special order?)
    I seem to remember seeing several at the dealer with it listed on the window sticker. Of course, i do live in chicago.
  • carbertcarbert Member Posts: 23
    How important would you say DSTC is in a warm climate? What would the advantages be for me?
    It will help for emergency maneuvers in general, moreso in incliment weather.
  • shortlidshortlid Member Posts: 50
    What would you guys say now that you have had you S40's for awhile? I know the Ford Focus which the S40 is based off of, or is it Mazda 3?? Anyways the Ford Focus got BAD rating for reliability!!
  • robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    The S40, Mazda 3, and the EUROPEAN Focus share a common platform. Platform relates more to basic architecture, windshield rake, and equipment attachment points. It is not indicative of overall quality and reliability.

Each vehicle has it's own handling dymanics, engines and transmissions, and overall styling. These vehicles are not badge engineering jobs.
  • cotmccotmc Member Posts: 1,081
    Sorry for the delayed response. No, mine was made in Japan. It had either a May or June 2003 build date.

Even though I am having good luck with my 2004.5 S40, the RX330 has taught me to never again buy a new vehicle during its first model year. At some point I may back off from that rule -- but only for cars, not for SUVs. I can't think of any SUV that hasn't experienced significant quality glitches upon its introduction, at least during the past few years. Even the current gen 4Runner had some problems with its brand new design and its new V6 engine upon its 2003MY introduction.
  • jeffyscottjeffyscott Member Posts: 3,855
    The base S40 has $1500 cash to dealer incentive for this month. I believe the S40 is selling well and our economy seems to be on the upswing. I am thinking maybe pricing is not going to get any better this year than it is right now. Anyone else have any thoughts on whether buying now is likely to get a better price than, say, this summer?
  • volvomaxvolvomax Member Posts: 5,238
    The price may get a little better this summer.
    The question is, is it worthwhile to put off the purchase to save maybe $500.00?
    If you have a trade your depreciation will probably be more than that.
    Also, interest rates are trending upward slightly.
    No trade and no loan.

The reason I was asking is we would apparently need to order a car to get what we want. A dealer has told me he would sell one for $250 under invoice, less whatever incentives are in place when the car arrives.

I was not previously aware that the incentives in place at the time of order would not apply (unless they are extended, of course).

You are right about interest rates. Perhaps the higher rates may mean they have to keep incentives to maintain sales, since most finance their purchase.

Assuming we were to order, with the terms I described, I think our best bet is to probably order as late as possible. This way we may catch the end of model year incentives, if any.

This brings up another couple of questions. What is the latest date that an order for a 2005 can be placed? How long does it take to get delivery of an ordered car?
  • volvomaxvolvomax Member Posts: 5,238
    Well, there will only be one more 2005 allocation, so by the middle of April your order will have to be in.
    Thanks. I think we will try to get an order in by the end of the month, if we decide on the S40.
  • divewreckdivewreck Member Posts: 50
    I'm compring the S-40i with the Mazda 6 & Honda Accord (manual trans). All have 2.4L engine (2.3-Accord), they all have similar weight,even less in S40, but why only 22/29 MPG? Am I missing something here?
    Surprisingly, the S40 is actually a little heavier than the Mazda 6 and the Accord by 95 lbs and 50 lbs, respectively, according to Consumer Reports' scale. Those were with auto transmissions.

Overall fuel economy was essentially the same for all three with the Accord yielding 1 mpg more than the other two.
    - It is 5 cyl with the most HP and the torque in a group.
    - and MPG 22/29-30 is very much like Mazda 23/28-31 and just 10-15% less than Honda 26/34. I would not really call it sub-par.
    Honda is famous to produce the most frugal engines.
  • slammieslammie Member Posts: 38
    I'm just curious...has anyone compared the new S40 to the BMW 3 series? Is this a fair comparison? Does the Volvo measure up? I recently test drove a loaded S40 AWD T5 and was very impressed, but the price was 35 large, which seems to me is very near the realm of the well regarded Beemer.
    If you scroll this thread back 4-6 month, you will find a lot of comparisons between these two cars. The consensus was, if I remember - S40 might not be the BMW, but it does measure up.
    Thank you!
  • cbrown038cbrown038 Member Posts: 5
    I recently test drove the S40 T5 AWD and BMW 330 on the same day and thought the S40 held up very well, performance wise. When you consider that you can get a loaded S40 T5 AWD with manual trans. for around $30k with current incentives, I ended up going with the Volvo. When I tried negotiating with the BMW dealer, they would hardly move on price.
  • bonsbons Member Posts: 45
    A True Fact:

Volvo cars are among the least expensive to insure.
    It's cost about twice as much to insure a Camry or Accord than to insure a Volvo. That's equivalent to a saving of about $1000 a year. I know this for a fact because I'm currenty insure an 05 S40 and my sister an 04 Accord, all coverages, driving record and other factors identical and same insurer, Accord costs twice as much

I assume that the insurance industry have data and statistics showing Volvo cars and drivers are less prone to accident and serious injury than any other cars and drivers. Also factor in is that Volvo cars are almost impossible to steal.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,891
    well, all factors probably aren't the same ... are you both female? Same exact credit score? both single? both the same age?

I think I have a better example, if I may, because I actually called my carrier and asked for insurance prices for several vehicles. An '05 Accord Coupe V6 manual fell under "category F," while an '05 S60R manual was "category G," making the volvo about 10% higher per year. Unfortunately, I didn't ask about a T5, because I think that's a bit of a closer comparison as far as the all-important "sportiness" factor is concerned. Which I think brings up another factor in the comparison with your sister: what model Accord and what model S40?

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

And I'll add to that. My agent just priced out an S40, Legacy I, TSX, A4, and 9-3. They were all within $50 of each other annually - about $100 more max than my 98 Accord.
    CB-

What incentives are you referring to? The loaded S40 AWD 6spd. that I'm looking at here in MN is 37k MSRP. How much can I possibly save on this car?
    We are both single and my sister is 5 yeears older, Sis has better credit, but our insurer do not use credit score for rate. If these factor in, she should get better rates. Mine 05 S40 2.4i, her 04 Accord LX Sedan. I pay about $750/year, she pays about $1480/year. So it has to be the vehicle that make the huge difference.
    Can any S-40 owners comment on this fabric? It felt sort of cheap when I test drove, but we also have a 15 month old who will no doubt be hard on the back seat. Is this a better way to go than leather?
    Are you using the same insurer and agent? Do you live in the same town? Do you park in the same place at work? Is your sister perhaps getting taken?
    T-tec is made of the same materials used in diving suit, so they are very friendly to your skin, and more durable than leather. All materials in the S40 have met high environmental standards. So you or your baby won't get allergic to the materials inside. Almost all other cars have a very strong smell of new materials when they're new, not in a Volvo

I have my S40 in T-tec because leather can get wrinkle and scratch easily, and in time ripped if you don't maintain it well enough.
  • cbrown038cbrown038 Member Posts: 5
    slammie -
    when i ordered my car at the end of february, there was a $1500 dealer incentive. i was able to get a car with a $34k MSRP for $30.5k or about $1300 below dealer invoice and was a couple hundred $ below the edmunds TMV at the time. when i redid the edmunds TMV calc today, it doesn't look like the incentive is in effect any more. on your $37k vehicle, you could use the TMV as a base and see how much lower you can get the dealer to move. you should also check out the "prices paid" message board as another poster said you should be able to negotiate the price of a Volvo down by 10% of the MSRP.
  • chicagos40chicagos40 Member Posts: 1
    I have a brand new 2005 S40 2.4i. I have the upgraded audio system and it is freezing up on me. It freezes up and stops playing sometimes when changing preset channels. I have had it at the dealership twice alread and they still haven't fixed the issue. This third time around, we are asking for a new audio system because it's getting ridiculous. Anyone experiencing something similar?
    CB--

Thanks, I'll take a look at the other forum and TMV. I've decided to go with the T-tec, so that'll save about 2k.
  • mazda6smazda6s Member Posts: 1,901
    Actually the fabric seats in the S40/V50 are a cloth/T-Tec combo, aren't they? It looked like the contact surfaces were cloth and the other panels were T-Tec. No?
    Yep, it looks like you are correct.
  • mdomdo Member Posts: 1
    I also have a new 2005 S40 2.4i and am having similar problems. My dealership said they have no experience or reports of this problem. I have taken car for servicing three times in 2 months ownership and am on the way back again.
  • greggorgreggor Member Posts: 11
    Hello all, just to start I'm new to these forums, so if there’s anything that I need to know about posting, feel free.

I'm planning on buying a S40 in October of this year. (T5 AWD w/ Dynamic trim package, T-Tec, audio package, sunroof, DSTC) I'd like to do the overseas deal that Volvo currently has in place for 2005 models, valid through April of this year I think. Since I won't be buying until October 2005, a 2006 model, I'll hope they extend the deal for the 2006.

My question is: "Has anyone done the overseas deal, and if so, can you share any details with me about it...? ie. How the pricing differs, what steps are made in the US and then in Belgium? As far as I know the shipping fees and tariffs are taken care of by Volvo?”

Hope to hear back soon! :)
    There is a vast volume of previous postings about overseas delivery here on Edmunds. I alone have posted dozens of them. Please search for OSD on XC90, S80, S40 and S60 forums and you will find them.
    In the nut shell, the Volvo web site is very accurate, OSD is pretty much is the way it is described there. I am pretty sure that the travel deals will be the same for the next year, the prices though are going up every year a bit.

I am a great OSD enthusiast, I've done it twice and am planning for two more within next 3-4 years. It makes about 50% of owing-Volvo-fun for me and my entire family. We have a most rewarding family fun driving our own Volvo in Europe.
This discussion has been closed.