Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volvo S40

Comments

• vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    I have read of similar problems on this board of S40s needing new brakes early on. Even if your daughter is a hard driver, they should last at least until 25-30K. Brakes aren't a strong suit on any Volvo, as I was told by a co-worker who has had several through the years.
  • bb_lhs_2kbb_lhs_2k Member Posts: 94
    I just bought a 2003 V40, and I noticed that the brakes are really sensitive, they stop on a dime. I guess Volvo uses softer brake pads in order to get a better grasp of the rotors, which gives this excellent braking system.

But, unfortunately, these brake pads seem to melt away pretty quick (approx. 15k mile lifespan). The problem I don't like, is the excessive brake dust that covers the wheels. I've never seen anything like it. Can't keep the wheels clean!

One thought I had, was possibly using "brake dust shields". They seem to be better than they were in the old days, where the rotors got too hot.

http://www.auto-extra.com/dustshield.htm

Is this a good idea, or bad. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
  • bobo36bobo36 Member Posts: 7
    Although my lease price is $270 a month with zero down i find it the worst car i've ever had. the service light or the break light are always on and they won't go off. the cup holder snaped off with just a coke in it and they want $150 for it. the middle arm rest fell off and the break dust is like nothing I've ever seen. It eats up gas like a truck. It's to crampy. What a mistake this car is.
    2000 model?
  • 062062062062 Member Posts: 1
    I just brought my S40 one month ago. It cost me 22K with premium package. I think it is a good deal for a European car. It might cost me if you want to buy a 4 cyl. Camry or Accord w/ leather package and sunroof.

I'm still Ok with this car.
  • goldkeygoldkey Member Posts: 36
    I think comparing S40 with Camry or Accord is not the best way to look at this car's value. Rather than see it as an overpriced alternative to Camry, I tend to see it as an affordable alternative to Audi 4 or even BWM3.
    Camry is an akward, boring and underpowered car in 4cyl version. (try driving it up the mountain if you don't beleive me), but it is a reliable family hauler.
    S40 is fast, nimble and has very nicely appointed interior, and did I mention fast? But family sedan it is not - too tight or as my wife put it -snug.
    So, depending on what you are looking in a sedan it might or might not be a good deal. My wife had S40 for three month so far and can't think of driving Camry again.
  • venus537venus537 Member Posts: 1,443
    are you basing the camry's four cylinder performance on the current design? it's no rocket, but it's more than adequate with the new 157 hp engine. but you're right, the s40 is a different type of car.
  • acuintegraacuintegra Member Posts: 12
    Geez,...I have a 2001 S40 and thought I do a carsdirect check on the 2003 S40. The dealers must be getting rid of them b'c it's $4700 under invoice for a fully loaded one (includ child bolster seat, prem pkg, and 16" wheelies. Total price: $22,627!! I think that price is amazing!
  • jeff186jeff186 Member Posts: 95
    Yes, I saw that price too on carsdirect.com. I'm guessing the redesigned S40 is coming out very soon and they are trying to unload current inventory. Nissan is doing the same thing with the Maxima right now.
  • nowakj66nowakj66 Member Posts: 709
    So is now a good time or a bad time to sell an S40?

We have a 2000 model. It had some teething pains (brakes, suspension squeak, ac, engine managagement chip) but is now pretty much sorted out.

Long term reliability is a question mark for me.

I like how the car drives though it is a bit small for me. I just wish it had a stick and am considering an Acura TSX, Accord Sedan or Subaru WRX.

So is now a good time to sell? Or will it get worse when new 04s arrive?
  • jeff186jeff186 Member Posts: 95
    ...when a car is redesigned, the older models go down in value rather quickly because the public sees the new body style and your car becomes the "old" body style.
  • theflowtheflow Member Posts: 98
    Seems like nobody goes to the V40 board so I have to ask a question here. I just test drove a V40 today with the moonroof. When the car hit 60mph, there's a wind noise kind of thing coming from the moonroof. I have the moonroof fully closed but the sunshade fully opened, and there're no roof rails/rack. Anyone experience this wind noise also? Can you guys think of any reason for this noise?
    Probably the roof rack causing the wind noise. Common in cars with roof racks. You should have tried it with the sunshade closed, it might have reduced the noise to a tolerable level.
    Also, giving large incentives on a particular car will make its resale take a nice dive too. Since the S40 is not a hot seller on the market, I am sure trade-in/resale value will pay for it.
  • theflowtheflow Member Posts: 98
    Thanks for the reply. But there are no roof rack/rails on the car........
    Oops, then I don't know.. :)

Perhaps a loose sunroof seal?
  • harlequin1971harlequin1971 Member Posts: 278
    I got bit with an Infiniti G20 the same way.

The current sales incentives are not new to the S40/V40 lineup. Last year, at model end, Volvo was offering similar incentives to move out the old inventory.

Unfortunately, you have a car that is nicer than the market will recognize, and is a bit overpriced at sticker to be competitive. If you are ready to sell, sell...but expect the resale to be lower than if you had bought a Passat or Camry.

Volvo has not been able to capture the wide open market, so only Volvo people are buying Volvos. The S40/V40 was not enough of a great car to change that.

Personally, I would not buy a 2000 S40, and I like the cars. So, use my anecdote as a small indicator of just what it will take to dump your car for a new one...a mighty enticing price.

Figure if I can get a base S40 brand new for just under $20k, that a 2000 isn't going to be very interesting at any price north of $13k...regardless of options. No warranty, no new-car smells, etc.

As the new S40 hits the market, this will only make the matter worse. If you are ready to buy a different car, put the 40 on the market and get on with your life.

For me, a potential S40/V40 buyer at year end...I am looking to make the car a long-term investment, so I only factor in resale mildly. But if I was looking for a 3-5 year car, the S40 wouldn't be the ticket. If you intend to put 100k miles on it and 8-10 years..the resale is a moot issue.

One advantage to holding the car may be the sorting out of new product interest. If the new S40 drums up more interest in the market, you may be able to sell the old S40 faster and for more money based on name appeal alone. I strongly believe that a new model release directly affects the old model, a strong new product helps carry the old model, a weak new product can errode an already bad position.

Good luck. :)
    The car has 39k miles and a year on the warranty. It drives nicely but I would prefer a stick shift.

My main motivation is getting a car with a stick shift again. I sold a Prelude with a stick which I miss. Cars I am considering include Subaru WRX, a BMW 3 series, maybe the new Acura TSX when it comes out, or even an Accord 4 door, 4 cylinder with 5 speed. I know these range in price from $22k - $35k.

There are also some issues with the car that just do not seem to get repaired, like suspension squeak.

I am somewhat afraid that if I am holding the car after the warranty runs out, it could be expensive to repair OR I would just live with minor annoyances. But then again, even 1 or 2 $500 repairs a year is less than a car payment.

Our S40 model is fairly basic - Cloth seats with the only options being weather package and in turnk CD changer. I have about $22.5k in it and the car is paid for.

The wife would not mind keeping it till it truly becomes a problem. I'd like to bail now and get something else.
    I think it works to your advantage that your S40 is on the more basic side. Good luck selling!

On the buy side, I might recommend looking at the Mazda6 with the stick, Infiniti G35 (stick on the way?), Volvo S60 (hot Turbo edition may be the cure for what ails you) or an Audi A4.

The Subie WRX is a great car (wagon or sedan?) but not very civilized. The BMW is all-around great, but expensive. The Honda/Acura duo are very good...but always seem to be as dull as an accounting seminar in most comparos.

Your tastes will have to dictate your purchase, obviously. I honestly don't think you can go wrong in that price range, as long as you stay true to your needs and wants.

For the money, the BMW is a great car with better than average reliability, great resale, and dynamic driving characteristics. If the price isn't a killer, that is the car to have. I just can't make the leap from low 20s to low 30s in my finances, or I would be signing my name for a 325 tomorrow. (After some lengthy test drives of the competition, of course.)

Back to the S40 - would you recommend for or against buying the current S40?
    The S40 is a nice enough car, if not a paragon of reliability. They are very safe cars though. Also, if you are going to keep the car a long time, then it's worth the investment. Be warned that it's expensive to have European cars worked on though, when the warranty run out on them.
  • venus537venus537 Member Posts: 1,443
    BMW has better than average reliability! I don't think so.
    That's what I'm sayin... where did that come from?
    not to pick hairs with you, but BMW 3-series, the one we are talking about here, has very good reliability records. In short, it is only the V-8s and V-12s that seem to be problematic at all.

Edmund's own 330i has been nearly flawless. 3-series BMWs do offer very good reliability AND performance...a tough package to beat. Statistically as reliable as an Accord or Camry? Maybe not, but the 99.5% of BMW 3-series buyers will never see that difference.
    Not to crush your theory, but I have to say it's not quite right. According to CR, most of BMW's cars are rated below or worse than average for predicted reliability (per the April 03 auto issue). Camrys and Accords are at the other end of the spectrum.

Now with the part where most drivers won't care, you might be right. I have a VW Jetta myself, which is not the most trouble-free car (according to the CR surveys), but I love the car and wouldn't drive anything else. The German 'feel' is unmatched by the Japanese or American counterparts. Since you own a BMW, you can more than likely identify that 'feel' for yourself.
  • matt00matt00 Member Posts: 32
    Looked at an S40 last night and really liked the way looked and drove. How is the reliability of the S40? The car is loaded MSRP is $28,000 and I was offered $22,500. I was originaly thinking about leasing, but they said it would be close to $400 a month w/ 0 down, 36 months 12k a year? How can this be on a 22,500 price?

Can someone tell me what a "Great" lease payment would be on this car.

Thanks,
  • sully242sully242 Member Posts: 7
    The current s40 has all the bugs worked out and is a nice car. They are giving hugh discounts because the car isn't selling well and this is apparently the last year before an updated s40 model comes out.
  • volvomaxvolvomax Member Posts: 5,238
    High payment is a function of a very low residual, high money factor or both.
    The price you pay for the car doesn't matter if the residual is low.
    Or you have a high money factor.
    Considering the car is so cheap, I would buy and not lease. You would be able to take advantage of pretty low rates now as well.
  • corbaczcorbacz Member Posts: 2
    I just bought the S40 and love it aside from the fact that I thought that the DSA system came on when I started the car and it does not seem to. Also, to turn it on I have to hold this button down for a significant period. Has anyone experienced this. By the way I got the car for $22K incl. license, reg. and GAP insurance.
    Default is on.
    The only time the light comes on is if you shut the system down.
    the light will flash when the system is operating.
    DSA doesn't engage the brakes, it retards the throttle
  • corbaczcorbacz Member Posts: 2
    The light has been coming on when I start the car and stays on. To get it to go off I have to hold it down for 50 secs. (we timed it last night). I spoke with the dealer that sold me the car and he told me to bring it back and there may be a computer issue. I am very angry b/c I love the car and selected it above the accord and jetta. The BMW was way out of my price range. Let you all know how this is handled.
    Thanks for the thoughts. Sorry it took a while go get back here!

All the cars you mention are ones I am looking at as well (3 series BMW, Audi A4, Volvo S60, Infinity G35, Lexus IS 300, Acura TSX). For midwest winters, I prefer FWD or AWD (though some of the above cars are RWD).

My second preference is for something Japanese. This is our first Volvo and the experience is average to negative when it comes to car quality. I like the experience at the Volvo dealer but I am not sure the car is as well put together as it could be.

I am taking the car in to the dealer soon for the following problems - steering wheel squeak, dead speaker, suspension squeak, plastic cap piece that fell off seat rails. Maybe most cars have these sorts of problems after 40000 miles, but I do not remember my Honda Prelude having them.

With the problems fixed, the S40 is a nice car that still turns heads and gets compliments. It does ride well and can be sporty if pushed. Remember that mine is a 2000 with some teething pains.

When I see deals for the 2003 models for $19k, I'd say they are worth it. They have less problems I am sure and what else can you get for $19k? An Accord LX? Even with the problems, the S40 (even year 2000) is nicer than that!
  • pantenejnpantenejn Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2003 S40 and I am curious as to whether or not anyone has installed a front strut bar? There are two options, one from volvo and one from IPD. Has anyone had any experience with them?
  • cheerfulcheerful Member Posts: 31
    I have the 2001 S40. It has only 6K miles. I recently have battery drained for unknown reason. There is nothing I left on in the car that could cost it. Is there a known problem with the battery?

Also, the cruise control failed to engage after I stpped on the brake to disengage it. I tried many times and it just refused to work. After the jump-start (after the battery got drained), the CC got back working. Are these things somehow related?

I don't know much about car. It is quite inconvenient for me to bring it to the dealer. So any help would be appreicated.

Thanks!
  • gabreugabreu Member Posts: 5
    hi all;
    my brother is selling his 2001 s60. he has a 10 disc cd changer which the buyer has no interest in. can i install this on my 2002 s40 ? is the s40 pre-wired for a trunk mounted cd player ?

any help would be appreciated.
    Look in your trunk, if you see a cable on the upper left side under the rear package tray you S40 was pre-wired.
    However, the S40 was designed to accept the 6 disc changer.
    I don't know that the 10 disc changer will work in that car.
  • 239239 Member Posts: 1
    I am getting ready to buy a new car. I have been looking at the S40, but have read so many bad reviews. Please someone tell me that this is great car. Thanks 239
    The new s40 is a great car for the money. Hugh discounts make it thousands less than Passat. It's a fun comfortable ride.
  • turner555turner555 Member Posts: 5
    I bought a 2003 S40 and absolutely love it. Got the Sport w/Leather Package as well as the Climate package at a good price.

cons:
    yes, the cupholder placement and size
    BRAKE DUST! (anyone know how to minimize this?

pros:
    power, big sunroof,sharp silver color, leather, handling, design, etc.

One question...the battery is still encased in some type of protective (styrofoam?) for lack of better word. Should I remove this? I took it off and I wasn't sure if it was for transport or what?

After 2700 miles, it's great! I would defnitely buy it again.
  • s40tobuys40tobuy Member Posts: 2
    Turner555, would you mind telling me what a price you got? Our local (Texas) dealers are offering a $6,000 discount for 2003 S40, I am just thinking if it is possible to get a S40 at around $19K since Edmunds's TMV is $24,595, substracing the $6K discount should get you a $18,595.
  • goldkeygoldkey Member Posts: 36
    Bought my 2003 S40 six months ago when discount was half of what it is now. After 5K miles have absolutely no regrets (except the fact that I could have it for even less money now).

Pros: Great driving car for fast errands around the town. Very nice leather interior and good looking too.
    Cons:Maybe a little small for big-sized passangers. Rear-view visibility is obstructed.
    I got mine for $4,000 under INVOICE. Loaded with premium and climate packages, 22,900 total before sales tax. You can easily get the base model for less than 19,000. Is the $6,000 off Invoice or MSRP?
  • kevinscottkevinscott Member Posts: 1
    Hello - -

I have just purchased a used 2000 Volvo S40 in white. It has 34,000 miles on it and looks near perfect. We paid a bit too much for the car (16,997), but if it holds up and runs well for years to come (as we expect from a Volvo) we're ok with paying what we paid. We also have the pre-owned, certified factory warranty (through 2007), which was truly the selling point that got us to drive it home.

My concern is that many folks are posting comments (with alarming consistency) with respect to what has gone wrong with their 2000 S40's. I'm hearing a lot about poor craftsmanship, cheap parts, bad electronics, poor brakes, faulty wiring, ect...and this is a Volvo?

I have only put on an additional 1000 miles thus far and have only a few "complaints" to this point:

1. - The car pulls to the left - - alignment
    2. - The car feels a little light (?) - - not as heavy and "safe" as I'd expect
    3. - The car doesn't always start the first time you turn the key - - strange
    4. - Brake dust on the front wheels is excessive and at times, the brakes in general seem to need to "warm up" to work well
    5. – Radio antenna not working properly

Please tell me how things are going / have gone with you and your 2000 Volvo S40 and/or what you might know about rectifying some of these problems?

Has your warranty covered all of this?

Overall are you happy with the car?

And finally - - bottom line - - - Is this a quality car with a few bugs or a poor car from a company with a good reputation??

Thanks so much! Hope to hear from you!

Kevin

Ektor4@hotmail.com
  • libertycatlibertycat Member Posts: 593
    Then sign the petition at:
    http://www.petitiononline.com/vs4ds100/petition.html
    so far, there are 87 signatures. Add yours and maybe Volvo will build the car. Also join in on the Volvo S100 conversation under Future Vehicles.
  • ddw5ddw5 Member Posts: 23
    We have a 2001 S40 with 27,000 miles and have not had one problem. I had to replace the rear brake pads at 20k miles and other than that have simply followed the maint. recommendations in the manual. It drives great and gets impressive mileage as well. The dealer/service department has always been friendly/courteous as well, providing free loaners on service days.
  • libertycatlibertycat Member Posts: 593
    Yippee Hurray!
  • johnmac7227johnmac7227 Member Posts: 1
    Ok so like everyone I've made a few mistakes in life, but other than holding onto my 9 shares of Enron Stock -now worth 50 Cents! I have to say leasing the S40 might have been the worst. Between the endless brake dust on the wheels, the headlights constantly burning out (i've gone through 4 in two and a half years and the power seats shorting out every time I sneeze the car has been a real POS.

Just today I've just been informed by my dealer that I need all new brakes and the car has 23,000 miles on it and he let me know that I had gotten more wear out of my brakes than most people. Cool another $350 I didn't want in my bank account anyway.

Luckily my lease is up soon and I will be all too happy to give this car back to the dealer.

I know this post my be a bit of a rant but because this website has been invaluable in my search for the other car in the house (a 2003 Honda Accord which has been amazing, well behaved and purchased at invoice. ) I figure if I can convince one person not to buy or at least think twice before picking up an S40 I've given something back.
  • karljrkarljr Member Posts: 3
    I have an '01 S40 with about 15,000 miles. I've
    seen similar messages elsewhere in this discussion but haven't come across any solutions. I have weird transmission happenings. It's quite unpredictable although it seems to be somehow related to sudden stops or stop-and-go traffic.
    While slowing to a stop, the car appears to slam directly from 3rd to 1st. There is a mighty clunk and the whole car shutters. Seems to happen very shortly after a short stop....although, as I said, it's really quite unpredictable. The dealer has no clue....as has been said before....they always claim there are "no codes" and the transmission is at factory specs. I suspect the problem is somwehere in the "adaptive" brain of the transmission. But, obviously, there are NO situations under which the computer should tell the transmission to shift THAT HARD...or skip a gear completely or whatever.
    I'm concerned there is permanent damage being done here, meanwhile the dealer can't figure it out.
    Otherwise, the car has been terrific.
    Any help/ideas out there?
  • ddw5ddw5 Member Posts: 23
    Our '01 S40 had the same problem. Dealer fixed by updating the software...I thought this was from the factory. Regardless it has not happened once since. I will try to dig up the paperwork and let you know exactly what the description was. This was at Volvo Fort Washington in Pennsylvania.
  • stumpf2000stumpf2000 Member Posts: 23
    I have had the care for 2 years and it has not had any problems since after the first 6 months. There was a leak in the air conditioner condenser box which leaked. It has the dealer baffled as to how to fix it, but after a month, it was fine. My ONLY complaint is the BRAKE Dust which seans to be a very common problem. I am thinking of getting dustless pads from IPDUSA.COM and then having a midas install them. I have 22500 miles so far.
This discussion has been closed.