Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevrolet (Geo) Prizm

Comments

• glenpointeglenpointe Member Posts: 23
    I have an extra cassette radio from my 1999 Prizm. For $20, you can have it. If you buy the 2010to 2012 prizm radio, it will not fit because they changed the connector in 2010. The Corolla radio will not fit in your prizm.
  • keithh1keithh1 Member Posts: 12
    Sounds good to me. To clarify, what are the 2010 to 2012 Prizm radios? Not the year designations, I'd guess since it's only 2009 now and they don't make Prizms anymore. I'm new to this Prizm stuff. Questions: How would we work the transaction? I do PayPal, if you do. Where are you located?
    How much is shipping to 65536?
    Keith
  • pashokpashok Member Posts: 1
    i have recently got a 96 geo prizm. The fan made bunch of noise, i replaced the blower motor ( housing had debree in it) but the air still comes out very slow even on a high speed. Can someone help? thanks
  • glenpointeglenpointe Member Posts: 23
    did you check the cabin filter?
  • mcdawggmcdawgg Member Posts: 1,722
    It does not have a cabin air filter.
  • chills71chills71 Member Posts: 1
    I've got a 2001 Prism that I have owned since 2004. Its got a whopping 51,000 miles on it (I'll own it forever I'm guessing). There are three problems with the car at this point (well one I have already have gotten the answer to, a blower motor problem, that I will address in the next week) another problem being the sunroof doesn't work any longer (not too high on the list of priorities) and then the problem I am hoping for an answer to....

The engine seems to have a throaty, diesel-ish sound, especially noticable on wet days and when accelerating. This noise does not occur when the car is in park and revved, only when driving. My brother-in-law said he had a car which sounded similar (from my description of the sound, he hasn't heard it himself) and it ended up being a problem with the upper manifold, a costly repair. Any ideas on what this problem might be and ballpark on repair?

Thanks

S. Hills
  • wolfdragonwolfdragon Member Posts: 5
    the wire harness you need is toyota. I had the same problem when I tried to hook up a stock gm stereo
  • davidh10davidh10 Member Posts: 2
  • davidh10davidh10 Member Posts: 2
    Replaced both motor mounts - passenger side mount was the defective one. Low speed noise gone.

A/C noise, took fan-motor out and found acorns in the fan cage - problem fixed. Remember to disconnect battery to disable airbag for 2 minutes before taking out glove box and some trim pieces to remove motor. 15 minute job
  • geobluegeoblue Member Posts: 71
    Hi, what were your complaints/the symptoms? Just noise? When? I feel strong vibration especially on the steering wheel while the car is parked or stopped at lights, not so much while driving. Can this be the result of bad motor mounts? What to do to diagnose for sure? How much did it cost you to have the mounts replaced? Is it an expensive job? My car is a 94 Geo Prizm. Thanks.
  • g56201g56201 Member Posts: 1
    can i swap a 97 prizm motor into a 98 prizm without a lot of changes?
  • nickruschenickrusche Member Posts: 3
    I inherited a 1999 Chevrolet Prizm Base Model from my grandma when she stopped driving in the summer of 2008. At that time, it only had about 28,700 miles on it, and now it has over 39,800 miles on it.

Here is my question: On September 12th, 2009, when I went to start it to go to work, it did nothing, the instrument panel lights came on (ie. Air Bag, Check Engine, Battery, etc). I turned the key back to "off" and then tried starting it again, and it started up fine. I had no more problems with it until the morning of September 30th. It did the same thing as it did on the 12th but it did something different, however. This time as I was turning the key back to "off" so I could try restarting it, it started to crank, then stopped. I then turned the key back to start and it started up fine.

I decide then that after work that day, I would take it to the Chevrolet dealer where I have the routine maintenance completed at to have them look at it. They could not reproduce the problem.

Does anybody know what could have caused that problem, or is it nothing to worry about?

One other minor thing: Ever since I got the car, the seat belt light does not come one when the engine is started nor does the warning bell. The warning does work because when I open the door with the keys still in the ignition, the bell rings. I am just curious as to what the problem could be.

One moire question just out of curiosity: The "starting noise" the engine makes when it's turning over, is that the starter making that noise, or is it the engine itself? I know that is a silly question, but it is just out of curiosity.

The cars still runs great, I take it to the dealer for all the maintenance. The Chevrolet Prizm was and always will be a great car. Maybe someday, with everybody looking for more fuel-efficient cars nowadays, they will bring the Prizm back into production.

Thanks for your help.
  • nickruschenickrusche Member Posts: 3
    Turns out it was the starter shorting out.
    My son broke the driver's inside door handle on my Prizm. Apparently this is a very common occurrence so I thought I'd post my fix. What happens is the weak plastic posts that the pull handle is attached to, and pivots on, snap. So I drilled out what was left of the posts, top and bottom of the body that holds the pull handle, and replaced the two posts with a single 1/8"x1 1/2" (approx) bolt and nut. I had to dremel out the outside ends on both sides of the plastic holder so the nut head and the bolt head would fit, but it worked. I used a dab of superglue on the nut to make sure it wouldn't gradually work loose. I have pictures if anybody wants to see them. I already had the nut and bolt, so $0.00 fix. The local junkyards didn't have any Prizm door handles (all sold out). I could get a new one for only $10.95... but shipping was another $9.00... Anyway, I hope it holds up for another 11 years.
    Keith
    1998 Chevy Prizm
  • drstar10drstar10 Member Posts: 1
    I am looking for tail lights, hood etc. and not sure what other models if any interchange with this car. Appreciate any help on this.
  • wademeisterwademeister Member Posts: 2
    This isn't something you can do by yourself, however if you go to a local auto parts store (Napa, Auto Zone, Advance Auto Parts, etc) they can hook up to the car's computer and find out what's wrong, as well as clear the codes so that your "check engine" light will turn off
  • wademeisterwademeister Member Posts: 2
    If yours is a four-door sedan, you should also be interchangeable with the four-door Toyota Corolla. I cannot think of any others models off-hand, but that should get you started at least.
  • bm7yubm7yu Member Posts: 2
    I had my radio stolen out of my 1995 geo prizm, but the really unfortunate thing is that they ripped out the cup holder too. So, I'm looking to get a new one- I hear the corolla has the same interior, and would have the same cup holder. Is this true? I'm seeing a bunch of different looking ones on ebay- anyone happen to have a 1995 prizm they could take a picture of, so I could look at what exactly the cup holder looks like? One of those things you don't notice until it's gone...
  • bm7yubm7yu Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the quick reply! Found one!
  • marked1marked1 Member Posts: 15
    Your gasket between exhaust manifold and exhaust pipe is probably worn out.
    This gasket looks like a fat ring made of metal mesh. the part costs about 5$ at aftermarket store. I've replaced it on my brothers prizm.
  • marked1marked1 Member Posts: 15
    It't not too hard.
    Remove two or three phillips screws that you see in the panel. Make sure you didn't miss any.
    Starting from the bottom pry the panel off and continue to pull toward your self holding the bottom portion of the panel. There are about 10 clips total that hold it located on sides. When the clips are off lift the panel up to pry off upper panel side.
    Disconnect by prying off a rod cable from the door handle.
    This code set while driving. I had it pulled and reset by O'Reilly and it has yet to re-occur. Question is, can this be the gas cap on to loose? What else can cause this?
    Keith
  • degitdegit Member Posts: 1
    Happy New Year everyone. I was wondering if anyone can help me with my dilemna. I have a 1995 Geo Prizm and the defrost button broke. This is the button that controls the air flow in the car so you can direct it to defrost the car windows etc.Can anyone tell me where I can purchase just this one part? :)
  • prizmboyprizmboy Member Posts: 1
    My fan control switch only works on the "HIGH" setting. Do I need to replace the switch or is there some type of relay that needs to be replaced, and if so where is it located?
  • bearclawiibearclawii Member Posts: 1
    my 98 prizm--in the freezing weather-right rear suspension locks up- won't bounce-boot on the strut is shot-but i never heard of a strut freezing up--bought the car this summer -no problem-the first time it happened a brought in the garage with heater on and it loosened up--worked fine for about a week-now its froze up again--i would think if the strut was bad and had water in it it would not work when thawed out--I noticed sway bar and other links--could it be something other than the strut-thanks
  • samirssssamirsss Member Posts: 1
    Hi,

I would like to get my hands on the manual cause i am looking to fix a few things in my wife's old car.

Thanks
    Sam
  • autoquestionsautoquestions Member Posts: 1
    My 2000 Prizm has a mysterious battery drain. The car starts fine for a couple of days then, the battery drains. My mechanic has tested the car up and down w/ no true diagnosis (tried disconnecting the radio, new battery, tested starter, alternator, etc...). Has anyone had similar problems w/a resolution? Thanks.
  • jbus725jbus725 Member Posts: 1
    what year of toyota wheels will fit a 1997 prizm 14 inch,can,t seem to find stock wheels at a junk yard so that is why iam wounding

thanks
  • meatypeteymeatypetey Member Posts: 9
    I have had (2) 94's and a 2001 Prizm. They all share the same wheel. I also had bought a set of wheels from a guy who took them off of a honda (not sure which model) but they fit fine. Prizm and Corolla are the same car, so no worries about interchangeability there either. Hope this helps
  • geodude1geodude1 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 95 prizm that once up to operating temp it dies. I acts likea air or fuel issue. Any tips?
  • chirlgirlchirlgirl Member Posts: 1
    How do you know when you have enough transmission fluid as far as reading the
    dip stick. There are 4 notches on the stick.
  • 92passat92passat Member Posts: 2
    I have a 1994 Prizm. We just replaced the master cylinder and have been bleeding the brakes, but the pedal will not "come up"? Any suggestions. We did bleed the brakes according to the service manual.
  • ruddneckruddneck Member Posts: 23
    I need the shocks on my 2000 Prizm replaced, and the estimated labor alone was about $300. The mechanic said extra time was needed because the shocks were difficult to get to and the brake lines had to be moved to access them. I trust these folks but am still surprised at the cost. Any one else has a similar experience?

Thanks!
    Hello ruddneck,

Extra time is not needed because it is simpler to replace struts on your Prizm than most cars.The price does not seem to be too much if it is a busy shop.I had my Prizm two front struts, strut boots, strut mounts replaced, and I paid 330 in total for labor only since I brought my own parts.They charge extra labor when you bring your own parts, they do not want to lose from their parts sale. However if you have it replaced at Sears, Walmart or chains like these it will cost less than 150 for 2 struts (labor only).

Corollas, Prizms are easiest cars for mechanics, most everything is easy to reach thanks to practical Japanese engineering.
  • ruddneckruddneck Member Posts: 23
    Geoblue-

Thanks for the guidance!
  • mirde98mirde98 Member Posts: 95
    Hello there. I have a 2002 Chevrolet Prizm Lsi 1.8L VVTi 4AT with 124,000 miles on it. Bought it used last month, is in great shape for the age/mileage, i was reading the manual and nowhere says Timing Belt, i search online and in Wikipedia says my engine is all aluminum and has a timing chain instead. Does those need to be changed? How often? I also noticed that uses "Iridium" spark plugs and they should be changed at every 120k, are they expensive? I also have the driver side power window issue, goes down perfectly but sometimes doesn't wanna go back up. Maybe the switch module? :)
    Yes, it has timing chain instead.They do not require replacement as far as I know, reading Haynes manual.Iridium spark plugs for your application can be bought from amazon or rockauto.com for cheaper than some other places. check your local auto parts stores too.But do get NGK or Denso (both made in Japan, OEM plugs) brand only, not any other brand.It does not have to be iridium, if it is iridium you do not have to change as often as 30-40K miles with regular plugs.

http://www.amazon.com/Denso-IK16-Iridium-Spark-Plug/dp/B000CJ048W/ref=au_pf_ss_2- ?ie=UTF8&n=15684181&s=automotive&carId=029 for around 8 dollars per spark plug

http://www.amazon.com/NGK-BKR5EIX-11-Iridium-Spark-Plug/dp/B000A8JLIY/ref=au_pf_- ss_5?ie=UTF8&n=15684181&s=automotive&carId=029 7.50 per plug

http://www.amazon.com/NGK-IFR5T11-Laser-Iridium-Spark/dp/B001B0Z0B2/ref=au_pf_ss- _14?ie=UTF8&n=15684181&s=automotive&carId=029 9.55

If you get it directly from amazon you can get free shipping because 4 plugs cost more than 25 dollars.

Check your oil level often because earlier versions of Chevy Prizms and Toyota Corollas (1998-2002) are afflicted with oil consumption problem.

I can check the manual for power window issue later.
    Thanks alot! I went to auto discount got NGK Iridium plugs. New air filter. And Prestone GM DexCool coolant (the red one), flushed the radiator, oil was changed last week. Runs like a champ now! Thanks again for the help!
    My 02 Prizm Lsi has the check engine light on.
    (1) I took it to Auto discount for free scanning, came up as HVAC/Emission, he said most likely the gas cap. Got new one for 10 buck. Reset code.
    (2) 2 days later check engine light again. Got it scanned again, same code, the other guy said O2 sensor, reset code.
    (3) 3 days later Check engine light on again, Autozone guy said could be the canister or a hose.
    (4) Took it for a 4th mechanic who after i explained everything he told me "Not to worry, that would not affect my car, would be a waste of time and money to search for the possible reason, to put a tape or sticker on top of the gauge cluster plastic and forget about the check engine light.
    HELP!!!!! :confuse:
  • hamster65hamster65 Member Posts: 6
    That car was only rated at 22 mpg city and 26 mpg highway so if your car is getting 31 mpg, I think that's about as good as you could possibly expect. :confuse:
  • hamster65hamster65 Member Posts: 6
    Your HVAC/Emission code may have simply been a loose gas cap. Always make sure to tighten it enough after a fill-up. If it's the type that clicks, make sure you get several clicks out of it.
    If you can tell me the exact code, I may be able to help you further. It should be a 5 digit code starting with a "P".
    Did you have the oxygen sensor replaced there?I am 100% sure it can not be the canister.In a newer car like 2002, no.
    Problem solved. I changed the spark plugs with new NGK Iridium. Air filter. Coolant flushed. Gas treatment. And a new gas cap. Code never came back. Last tank of gas gave me 32 MPG! :)
    Good to hear the good news! :)Mechanics think of Detroit cars when they see a problem, but Prizm is a Corolla originally from Japan, not like Detroit's 'planned obsolescency'cars so no need to tape any warning lights, because it most probably has a simple easy to find reason. Congrats again for your purchase of Prizm.

Did you know that Toyota and Tesla agreed to share part of NUMMI for producing electric cars together?

NUMMI in California is the name of the factory where our Prizms had been made in.
    Ure right, i found this car very easy to fix. I do some light mechanic stuff like plugs and cables. So usually i take care of routine maintenance. Complicated stuff i go to a professional. Yes i knew about the Nummi plant, didnt knew about the Tesla/Toyota electric car. Kudos!
  • mdelaymdelay Member Posts: 1
    1992 Prizm, 280xxx.

Somehow draining coolant. It is not overheating, but the radiator is low on coolant every day.

Replaced: Thermostat, Radiator Cap, Thermostat housing, Overflow Bottle.

Any IdeaS????????
  • sao53sao53 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 Prism that had the same problem. It's probably the resistor for the blower motor that has burned out. The high speed setting bypasses the resistor, which is why it still works at all. I had my mechanic replace it, and have all the speeds back, but if you want to do it yourself, it looks relatively easy and the part shouldn't be very expensive. There are instructions at http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Why_does_the_blower_fan_on_a_Prizm_only_work_on_high_s- peed
    Good luck.
    SAO
    Got my Prizm scanned again today due to the Check engine light: P0446 (EVAP Emission/Control System Vent/Circuit Malf)
    Items or service done to the vehicle:
    -New tires/bal
    -AC serviced and re charged
    -New NGK Iridium spark plugs
    -New air filter
    -Gas treatment/cleaner
    -Coolant flushed and refilled.
    -Oil and filter changed.
    -New Gas Cap
    Are you turning the engine off right after stopping your car?I run it for an additional minute to complete the cooling.I thought I had low coolant too, after I started the practice of keeping the car running for a minute after stopping it is almost at the middle of the reservoir.If not only the reservoir but the radiator is low on coolant, then you might have bad hoses.It is not easy to see cracks on radiator hoses, when you push on them cracks might be visible.Also where there is a leak, there tends to be a white or rust colored residue.Check the water pump too. If not the hoses, you might want to check and think about replacing your radiator if it is found to be faulty. I hope you find the problem soon.