Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

High End Luxury Cars

Comments

• diploiddiploid Member Posts: 2,286
    merc - "Infiniti, like Acura just can't get any respect past 40K."

Unfortunately, it's true. The 88K NSX is way overpriced and the RL, Acura's only true luxury sedan, really doesn't stack up well against the competition. Honda needs to figure out if it wants to run with the likes of Buick or BMW. I think right now they assume they can run with both.
  • merc1merc1 Member Posts: 6,081
    Yep thats true, it's the same sitting-on-top trunklid, but the Maybach looks so much better, at least in the rear. The Maybach could have looked a little more exciting too, but I'll reserve final judgement until I get to Detroit.

M
    Well I guess for right now they don't see themselves as having a "problem". They are selling for the most part a lot of TLs, MDXs and RSXs.

The RL needs a V8, but Honda says that isn't going to happen. There really isn't anything "wrong" with the RL, its just being a "good" or "decent" car doesn't cut it against the E320, 530i, GS300, and A6 2.7t. Not to mention the V8 versions of those cars. The only reason it sells at all is because you can easily get 5-7K off it's sticker. The CL (boy I had hopes for this car) doesn't even look as good as the TL sedan, how bass-ackwards is that. They may drop it, but that too would be a mistake with all the 2-doors coming...it would be another segment they "gave up" on. I can't say it enough, bring back the "Legend" name and make the car worthy of the title and Acura would be back in style again.

The NSX was a stunning piece of work compared to the 1991 Ferrari 348 and 993 series Porsche 911, but times have changed. Ferrari stomped a mutthole in NSX with the F355 and they sealed the coffin with the 360, and Porsche did a complete re-do of the 911. The Acura is basically a 12 year old car with the a price thats totally unrealistic.

I still hold Acura as my favorite of the 3 Japanese luxury brands, with the TL-S being my favorite fwd luxury car. They just keep letting me down, with terrible styling and nothing to really "lust" after.

M
  • footiefootie Member Posts: 636
    My sister is an Acura fan. She put 160K on her 95 Legend before giving it to her daughter. No dealer services except book maintenance. None.
    She got a 2001 RL and now has 60K on it. Same story.

Her RL has the same set of options and technology as the E class in 01 when she got it. Plus it is fractionally longer, wider and lower and heavier, so it looks lithe and rides very solidly and smoothly.

But I digress. I also asked her about performance. She said, "Does fine for me. And a few seconds here or there getting started doesn't add up to much in a two or three hour drive does it?"

I asked her why she didn't look at the Mercedes and BMW. "Easy" she said, "My friends that have BMWs and Mercedes are always bitching about going to the shop. I don't have time for that. When you got the money, honey, time is the luxury."
  • magnetophonemagnetophone Member Posts: 605
    Did she trademark that little rhyme?
  • diploiddiploid Member Posts: 2,286
    Your sister's got some wit there!
    I'm not surprised, Acuras are good cars, but as that testimonial illustrates, there is nothing to lust after there, the car is an appliance. There is no way a 2001 RL offered everything that 2001 E320 offered. The E320 is faster and handles better for starters and technology wise I'd have to look up the RL's features for that year, but I doubt they match the Benz's. Of course the Acura will have all the *usual* luxury car features. The RL's biggest failing is the obvious wannabe E-Class look and the fact that it was not named a "Legend" to begin with.

The Acura Legend, escpecially the GS version was a better car from a driving and styling standpoint. The Acura Legend is one of the hardest cars to find around here on the used car market, your sister's experience is why...they run forever!

M
    Thanks, Merc1. Here's what I think...we each have our opinions...

Let's see, both the 2001 E and RL came out in 1996 and were pretty sharp styling changes from prior models (thought the RL seemed more of an evolution from the Legend than the 96 E from its predecessors). The RL and the E were signs of the times, not unique styling icons. No copying here.

The feature list for the two is remarkably the same. Probably the biggest difference is what's standard on the Acura and optional on the E. The option list for MB goes on and on - and the already high price, goes higher still.

This is how they differed on major items: MB had one extra transmission speed, head curtains. Acura had Moonroof, Xenons, Bose, CD player, bigger engine.

Performance dynamics were similar, both had ABS, ASC, Traction, good handling and braking.

Mercedes listed about $9,000 more and went up from there. Acura came with everything but NAV, another $2K.

As has been true for about a 10 years, Mercedes had far worse reliability, dependability and durability record, and much higher cost of ownership.

MB is like a Rolex. World-class jewelry, so-so watch. Comes in lots of different styles and glitter. Looks belie its constant need for service and erratic timekeeping.

Acura is like a Seiko. Nice jewelry, world class watch. Comes in one major style, low on glitter but still black tie. Owners find out that they are the luxury car deal of the decade and keep them forever.

Enjoy the different choices we have!

2001 MB E class ( superior standard features)

Automatic 5-Speed Transmission, Automatic Dimming Rearview Mirror, Trip Computer, Wood Dash, Head Curtain Air Bag Restraints, Premium Audio System, Telematic System, Automatic Climate Control (2 Zone) -

Acura RL ( superior standard features )

6 cyl 3.5 L Engine, Bose Audio System, Digital Clock, Power Heated Mirrors, Intermittent Wipers, Overhead Console, Power Moonroof, Xenon Headlamps, AM/FM/Tape/CD Changer Audio System.
    Question, what difference does a larger engine make when the Acura was slower that the E320? That larger engine stuff sounds like GM type advertising, it made no difference in accleration.

Your list proves the Benz had more important standard equipment. A moonroof hardly sells a car nowadays.

Their dynamics were not similar, the Benz handled better, no contest there. Yes, I've driven both. Car and Driver and Road and Track have compared the two and they agree with me.

I'll give you that the RL (being a Honda) has a better reliability record, but durability I would have object there. A Benz will still have better paint, body and interior quality longer than a Honda will once the years/miles really add up. I don't think the car would have outsold every other car in it's class if it was such this unreliable beast.

And for the record Xenons didn'tshow up on the RL until 1999, they were an option on the E-Class in 1998. Some of the other things you listed like a moonroof, overhead console are really, really minor and were also available on the E-Class. Mercedes tends to put the important things first, technology, safety etc....then add the trivial stuff, a "overhead console" come one, thats a weak defense.

In short the E-Class was the better car, the market has proven which one was preferred. The RL didn't compare, even by your own post.

M
  • nealm1nealm1 Member Posts: 154
    On this one, I agree (God help me) with merc1. The RL may make more sense for a lot of people given the price differential, and one could forcefully -- maybe even compellingly -- argue that the law of diminishing returns sets in with a vengence once one gets above the RL's sticker, but you can't really say that the RL is actually competitive w/the E in a price-blind comparison. Which makes the LS/S/E comparisons all the more amazing. The E (IMHO) can't compare with the LS (isn't supposed to) and the LS, at a minimum, is competitive with the S, even though there is a huge price differential.
    Well, I guess there's just a difference in priorities that constitutes value. And of course, individual experiences vary.

Performance didn't seem very different to me and I've driven both, my sister's and a friend's E320. They feel a little different in the driver's seat, but both felt very stable, surefooted, in every driving situation I had them in.

I also don't look at Mercedes as a technology leader anymore. I would be scared to death to rely on any drive by wire, brake by wire system in a Benz. They have a very spotty record with electricals and have generally been behind in electronics and microprocessors technology. That's why the new SL500 comes with a complete back-up mechanical brake system.

Leadership in electrical technology is in the U.S. and Japan.

Take common technology, like an in-dash CD, 6 CD changer that has been in Toyota/Lexus, Honda/Acura for some time. It's been in the trunk of Benz's forever and has finally made it to the dash this year ( 1 CD )

Production technology leadership is in Japan followed by the U.S. Germany is a distant third and not catching up. The best automobile factories quality-wise are in Japan, next are Japanese owned factories in the U.S., the Japan-US co-owned factories in the U.S.

The Japanese production systems, transplanted here, just work better and are car line independent. The Germans haven't figured this out yet and can't get their head around the fact that you can build almost ANY car at a very low defect level. The Toyota Corolla is the best high volume production car line every produced.

Durability of paint? The original paint on my sister's 1995 Legend is still gorgeous. And so is the leather interior. It spent 6 years in Georgia and now two in New York.

The only Acura interior I saw that was suffering was in my mother-in-law's 1990 Legend Coupe. She gave it to her grandson last year when she bought her Lexus.

It had 260K on it and after spending 10 years baking on the tarmac during work hours at an Air Force base in San Antonio, it had developed some cracks on the dash and the top of the back seats had to be replaced.

However, the original engine and transmission were still singing. I do remember that it got a set of motor mounts back in the nineties, so it wasn't perfect.

That's durable to me, and I wouldn't have expected a MB interior to have done any better or worse - they are good. The mechancials -- I don't think that the MB would have gotten that far without significant service and expenses.

To top that, the 1990 Acura Legend cost 1/2 of the 1990 E Mercedes.

On the E and LS 430 - no opinions here at all, either :==)

The E doesn't compare with the LS430. Surprisingly, neither does the S. The LS430 is simply the best car that money can buy, not the S. The S quality was 'POOR' for the first year reported in CR. The LS is not the fastest, but its quicker than many cars it's size, not the best handling but remarkably agile, or even the best style - it looks like the S Class successor that never happened.

But it is the most reliable, dependable, available and therefore durable car ever made. It has an incredible array of technologies, all of which work from the get go. The 1990 ones are still working just fine thank you. It does insulate you more than some people like in their driving experience, but it does deliver you where you want to go, as safely as possible, every time, all the time.

To me that's value. MB (BMW and Audi) have to radically change the way they make cars, and therefore design and source them, to be competitive in this day and age. Until they do, it's a Rolex vs. Seiko comparison. One is jewelry, one is a timepiece.
  • ljflxljflx Member Posts: 4,690
    Why is it that the Japanese can make such high quality reliable cars - whether in the US or Japan - that just put everyone else to shame? It's not just Toyota but Honda and Nissan as well on every model they make. Any one of the three can be the leader in any given year. If this were a betting room no one would bet against Japanese car makers being the reliability leader for the next 5+ years. So what gives. Why do they build such near perfect cars regardless of what country they are built in. The Americans have improved but are still way behind and the Germans are going south pretty fast.

Footie - I'm with you on most of the issues. Technology development that is not reliable will prove to be a house of cards. When you have to read a book to change a radio station or leave instructions for a valet to start the car you have gone over the top and made complexity out of simplicity. It's worse still when it doesn't work (have you read the 7 series board lately) That is not staying ahead of the curve. That is dumb. I also have no faith in MB's drive by wire. The should fix their existing reliability problems before moving ahead with new technologies. If they did I might look at an S-class a year from now when my lease is up. But in all honesty I can't even think of walking away from the perfection of the LS430.
    If Mercedes isn't THE technology leader, then they certainly are among the top 2. The other being BMW.

Electronics, such as CD changers are hardly "technology" as most people understand the word. It's the brand culture that keeps/kept Mercedes/Porsche and other German makes from installing these things, not that they couldn't. I know you realize that. Lexus doesn't make it's own stereos, neither does Acura. In short if Mercedes felt that these things were so important they would have done it years ago. You have to remember these are German companies and they're still a little stubborn. European companies have never place emphasis on things like stereos, cupholders etc, and it hasn't hurt them nearly as some would like you to believe.

Technology is electro-hydraulic brakes, active suspension, radar-based cruise control, folding hardtops, all of which Mercedes did first, all of which Acura doesn't even offer. Acura only compares to Mercedes in two areas, quality and reliabilty. Other than that Mercedes wipes out Acura with the first turn of the key.

"That's why the new SL500 comes with a complete back-up mechanical brake system."

Do you think BMW, Lexus or any other company that will introduce this technolgy (BMW is next) won't have a backup system in place? It would be foolish and totally un-Mercedes for Mercedes not too. Electronics are not perfect in any car, including the Japanese ones. Yes they are better at it, but they too have problems....admittedly not as often. About Mercedes' SBC I haven't heard about it failing on the SL or the E-Class as of yet. The ABC active suspension technology works brilliantly too, as advertised.

I see you're going off into the best factories and the best this and that. Well, our initial conversation was about which cars have the most advanced technology. That would be Mercedes-Benz or BMW. Specifically, the SL, CL or 7-Series. Period. For better of for worse they are miles ahead of anything produced in Japan. America has nothing, nothing, absolutely nothing worth mentioning.

A 1995 Legend was a good car, no doubt, but I can find plenty of cars from just about any brand in good shape that spent most of their life in Georgia. Now lets talk about all the E-Classes I see around here (Chicago) that look brand new. Now just the 1996-2002 models either, I'm talking about the 1986-1995 E also. Ever noticed which cars don't have damage after a hail storm? It's usually Volvo and Mercedes, thicker sheetmetal and better paint will do the trick everytime. Acura doesn't "build" a car the same way Mercedes does.

If you don't believe me about Mercedes' longevity, just take a look at a used car lot that sells foreign cars. You'll find the Mercedes there in better shape than all the rest. A Mercedes can be driven to hell and back and return for more. Hondas suspension is usually shot much earlier as is the intergrity of the body.

I'm not knocking Acura at all, but Mercedes is just more car. A 1990 Legend was a good car, but a 1990 300E was better still, no matter which way you want to look at it. I seem to remember a C&D comparo in 1986 between the Legend, 300E, and Seville, needless to say the 300E won that test hands down.

The Japanese do not lead the Germans when it comes to in-car technology, only quality and production methods. I'll readily admit that the Japanese as a whole produce the highest quality cars on earth, yet for all of that European cars are more popular than ever in this country. That would lead me to believe that either the Japanese quailty/reliability arguement is loosing steam (i.e. isn't *always* what its cracked up to be) or that all these European cars aren't so bad after all.

I'm not going to get into the E vs LS, LS vs S debate again, we've done that a many times before in this thread and others. All I'll say to that is the CR doesn't mean squat to the enthusiast who isn't about to buy something they don't want because they say it's more reliable. "But it is the most reliable, dependable, available and therefore durable car ever made." That remains to be seen, sure it's relaible and dependable, but durable, that will be determined years from now. From what I've seen 1990s S-Classes are the most durable cars made. Pure reliabilty will always be the domain of the Japanese.

nealm1,

I'm shocked!

ljflx,

A few exceptions to your post. Have you not read about all the transmission problems Acura/Honda owners are having as of late? Have you not seen the cheapish interiors on the newer Nissan products? From the Altima, G35 to 350Z, all cheap, hardly the pillar of quality. Have you not seen some of the more recent surveys, they indicate that cars like the Toyota Camry has "gone south" as you say. The Americans are doing much better, again going by surveys as most Japanese car fans like to do.

You're giving the Japanese as a whole too much credit. The only company I'm convinced that really does have a superior quality reputation is Toyota, and they aren't perfect. Read some of the Honda and Nissan topics here and tell me they are head an shoulders above all the European brands. Only VW comes to mind as being any worse.

"I also have no faith in MB's drive by wire." Care to explain that one to me? Drive by wire?
    Throttle, steering, brakes what? Drive by wire has been on various German cars since 1990. Your lack of faith is sorely unfounded.

M
  • wishnhigh1wishnhigh1 Member Posts: 363
    "Electronics, such as CD changers are hardly "technology" as most people understand the word. It's the brand culture that keeps/kept Mercedes/Porsche and other German makes from installing these things, not that they couldn't. I know you realize that. Lexus doesn't make it's own stereos, neither does Acura. In short if Mercedes felt that these things were so important they would have done it years ago. You have to remember these are German companies and they're still a little stubborn. European companies have never place emphasis on things like stereos, cupholders etc, and it hasn't hurt them nearly as some would like you to believe.

Technology is electro-hydraulic brakes, active suspension, radar-based cruise control, folding hardtops, all of which Mercedes did first, all of which Acura doesn't even offer. Acura only compares to Mercedes in two areas, quality and reliabilty. Other than that Mercedes wipes out Acura with the first turn of the key."

Do you realize how rediculus those two paragraphs sound? "Yeah, whatever everybody else does good is not technology and doesnt matter, but what mercedes does do matters, because other cars dont have it" Brand Culture is no excuse for not offering modern and common and demanded technology as standard equipment. Nobody even owns cassette players, yet Mercedes did not offer standard CD players until a few years ago. That is rediculus.

Im not denying that Mercedes has good technology, but they lag in some areas that consumers demand, mostly electronics. You cant deny that. Even Maybach, supposedly the worlds most technologically advanced car, still has one of the most technologically unadvanced navigation systems. Come on Merc, I know you are capable of recognizing Mercedes's problems, why cant you recognize them here. All you have given is a lame excuse.
    "Im not denying that Mercedes has good technology, but they lag in some areas that consumers demand, mostly electronics. You cant deny that."

Pay attention! It's equally ridiculous to consider a CD player as technology. Do you buy your cars based on CD players? I hope not, mr Porsche fan. In case you missed it I have stated it many times that the Germans are not leaders in electronics. Your constant harping about the same tired issue of CD players and navigation systems is equally lame and is really just bs at this point. I gave you the reason why Mercedes, BMW, Audi and Porsche, yes Porsche took their time on these items. You mean to tell me your that naive to believe that with all the engineering might these companies have they COULDN'T or didn't know how to put a CD player in their cars! They didn't deem these things important and it was only after consumers demanded, they responded. Porsche still has the world's worst cupholder, but do think a enthusiast really cares? For all they lag according to you they're still more popular than ever, so obviously it's not as big a problem as you constantly try to state.

I have listed Mercedes' faults a many times (you and I have had this conversation before), but you're one of those people who make something out of nothing every chance you get when it comes to Mercedes. So I say now who the hell cares about a CD player when the rest of the car is so right to start with, and it's not like you CAN'T get a CD player on a Benz anyway.

This conversation started out as being about Acura and Mercedes and their technology. Does Acura even compare to Mercedes in technology? No. Not even close. So again tell me what startling technology Acura has brought to the table, or is this another one of your the world vs. Mercedes rants.

"Even Maybach, supposedly the worlds most technologically advanced car, still has one of the most technologically unadvanced navigation systems. "

Oh really, explain that one. Before you even say it, it's DVD based. So I'm listening as to how it's so behind the times.

Another incorrect statement:

"Nobody even owns cassette players, yet Mercedes did not offer standard CD players until a few years ago. That is rediculus. "

It's ridiculously amazing how little knowledge you have on the car you love to talk so negatively about. Mercedes' have had CD players (trunk mounted CD changers) since the late 1980's. The in-dash variety is where all the controversy is, of which BMW, Porsche, Audi and Mercedes were all late in doing. Research before you post next time.

Anyone can see the whole CD player issue was a German car thing, and not just exclusive to Mercedes.

M
  • prattsterprattster Member Posts: 59
    Mr. Mercedes-

Not to burst your bubble, but ah the 95' Q45t was the only car in the world at the time to offer fully active suspsension be it as complex and expensive as it was around $59k. Secondly, Mercedes was not the 1st to offer the retrac. hardtop SLK, that would be the 94' Mitsu. 3000 Spyder, again another low volume expensive model around $65k for the VR4. I know that the Japanese are woking on steer-by-wire but they won't released it till it's been fully developed and tested unlike BMW's gimmicky and complicated I-drive. Lastly, who brought hybrid engine technology to market first?

Footie- I own a 95' Legend GS and it's one hellva of good, solid, reliable, well-made car. Have 76K on it so it's pretty much not even broken in. Again, the sheetmetal is heavy gauge and solid just like the Benz. and LS400, better be for $44k. Zero sqeeks or rattles to report and the quality of materials and durablity is top-notch. Reported as of the 20 best Japanese cars in Forbes.

Mercedes doesn't wipe out anybody. Their electricals and interiors are not up to Japan's best Lexi and they rush to market new technology that should spend more time in testing. Brake-by-wire is still unproven. Lexus will bring this to market when it's been thoroughly tweeked and tested. The 90's Benz's are durable but there electricals are anything but. The 90's LS400 is also one the best built cars of the time and will easliy last well past 300K but will do so with fewer problems and cost. And besides to be fair, the RL is a 7 year old design which is no one's fault but Acura but the new model will dazzle with all new technology for certain. Spring 03' release I'm told.

Mercedes quality issues of today are a major concern and their decontenting of successive models isn't helping them while they face stiff competition from Japan's best. Which I believe had a lot to do with their rushing to launch all these new models and repricing. Their in reactive mode since the LS400 debuted. The ML SUV is nothing short of a shame. Compare this to the new GX470, no comparison.

A local family friend who owns blocks of rental property and can drive about anything just bought a stunning black LS430 ultra for wifey. I asked why no Benz? He said, laughing thier not built like they used to be and besides I want the best built, most reliable luxury car in the business.
  • prattsterprattster Member Posts: 59
    Here's a link to Q45t.

www.internetautoguide.com/reviews/ 1995/1995_Infiniti_Q45.html
    "Pay attention! It's equally ridiculous to consider a CD player as technology. Do you buy your cars based on CD players? I hope not, mr Porsche fan. In case you missed it I have stated it many times that the Germans are not leaders in electronics. Your constant harping about the same tired issue of CD players and navigation systems is equally lame and is really just bs at this point. I gave you the reason why Mercedes, BMW, Audi and Porsche, yes Porsche took their time on these items. You mean to tell me your that naive to believe that with all the engineering might these companies have they COULDN'T or didn't know how to put a CD player in their cars! They didn't deem these things important and it was only after consumers demanded, they responded. Porsche still has the world's worst cupholder, but do think a enthusiast really cares? For all they lag according to you they're still more popular than ever, so obviously it's not as big a problem as you constantly try to state."

Porsche is a non issue in this discussion, we are talking about luxury cars and their consumers demands. In a Porsche I would not care one bit about music, navigation, food and drink placement, because I have only one motive: Driving. However this is about as far as can be with luxury cars. Luxury cars are for those who care less about the driving(although still quite a bit) but more about the ride, creature comforts, ergonomics, and style, etc.

And I am not saying they didnt have the technology, of course they did. BUT THEY DONT IMPLEMENT IT!!!!!!! They did not deem these things important because they thought the consumer didnt care, in which they were flat out wrong and very very late to the game. Like you say, all German Lux makes are bad at this game. They try to force their Corporate Culture and driving morals on a public who has a choice in what they drive and they paid the penalty for it.

"I have listed Mercedes' faults a many times (you and I have had this conversation before), but you're one of those people who make something out of nothing every chance you get when it comes to Mercedes. So I say now who the hell cares about a CD player when the rest of the car is so right to start with, and it's not like you CAN'T get a CD player on a Benz anyway."

You are right, you can get a CD player. Why werent they standard equipment? It is rediculus to have to pay extra for an option in a Mercedes when you can get it standard in a Mazda. As far as Nav systems go, they are a huge growing market in the US, and Mercedes should at least offer an optional Nav system that is up to date. They need a DVD navigation disc, they need a better screen, and a better user interface. Audi is even worse, as far as Nav systems go, which also sad.

"This conversation started out as being about Acura and Mercedes and their technology. Does Acura even compare to Mercedes in technology? No. Not even close. So again tell me what startling technology Acura has brought to the table, or is this another one of your the world vs. Mercedes rants."

If this is purely out of debate about technology, then you are right, Mercedes is better off(except on electronics). But from what I was reading in this topic, it was about whether Acura can compete with Mercedes.

"Oh really, explain that one. Before you even say it, it's DVD based. So I'm listening as to how it's so behind the times."

It still has one of the worst input interfaces and the screen and display are still of horrible quality, from the pictures and displays.

"It's ridiculously amazing how little knowledge you have on the car you love to talk so negatively about. Mercedes' have had CD players (trunk mounted CD changers) since the late 1980's. The in-dash variety is where all the controversy is, of which BMW, Porsche, Audi and Mercedes were all late in doing. Research before you post next time."

WHO THE HELL USES THOSE THINGS? In dash CD players have been popular since the early 90s. You know damn well that is what I was talking about.

"Anyone can see the whole CD player issue was a German car thing, and not just exclusive to Mercedes."

Yep...so?
  • 610looper610looper Member Posts: 20
    suspensions and folding hard tops...88-89 560 SEL SL SEC.. http://www.mercedes-benz.com/e/default.htm this is just a cool site everyone should check out http://www.autocluster.com/sa_history/id105.htm
  • zachmbenzfvrzachmbenzfvr Member Posts: 25
    Well, Back onto the subject of Acura competing with Mercedes. No. That is the simplest answer. No. Acuras upper range car doesn't even come close to the E-class. Mercedes sold 44,445 E-classes in 2001 compared to a meager 10,723 for the RL. So whether you think the RL is better than the E is fine with me but 33,722 people thought differently from you. The new E-class has a 10 month waiting list from what I have heard so I think Acura has alot to work on if you ask me.
    IMHO the number one technology that Toyota has is the Toyota Production System. It's generally recognized as the most significant manufacturing innovation since Henry Ford's approach to mass productions.

"Everything that doesn't add value, is waste. Waste of capital, waste of time, waste of employee ability to contribute".

Because of the way they put cars together, everything else follows. Lower cost, higher quality and virtually no defects.

Even when you spend some time reading how and why it works, it still takes some rumination to figure out how they do what they do. Then it hits you.

It is VERY different from the way traditional factories in the U.S. and Germany operate:

1) Quantity Management: Pull system with minimum inventory. Just in time, production line driven, component demand

2) Quality Management: Constant inspection at each process step. Defects stop production with no inventory.

3) Maximum use of human capabilities. Empower the worker and teams. Rewards improvements from every level.

Toyota runs their factories 'mixed' producing similar vehicles. Order to fulfillment time in Japan is 5 days and has been for a decade.

The link below gives a good summary:

http://www.dig.bris.ac.uk/teaching/m_o_i/studen10.htm

The following powerpoint presentation (58 pages long!) from MIT shows some of the differences in factory performances between Japan, Japan/US, US and Europe.

Given the way Mercedes (BMW, etc.) design their cars, build them and operate their factories, they are pretty hamstrung.

They consume an inordinate amount of capital in-production inventory, take longer to build, tolerate higher levels of defects, and despite their innovative nature, are often forced to bring products to market with technology that's not ready for prime time.

Mercedes won't go out of business, but the bar has passed them by and they fall further and further behind.

Plus much of today's significant automobile technology is electronics based.

The U.S. and Japan lead the world in electronics, microprocessors, embedded software development.

There are times that BMW and Mercedes both bring technology to market before the Japanese and U.S. companies, but it's usually buggy (Rev 4.2 already for the new 745).

They are desparately trying to figure out how to stay in play.

web.mit.edu/2.810/www/lecture/TPS-Overview.ppt

It's a pretty good write up of the production technology that Taiichi Ohno developed at Toyota in 1977.

Go take a look at the Mercedes E Class inventory at

www.herbchambers.com

They have 101 E Class cars in inventory right now. They had 53 at the end of September. They are New England's largest automotive group.

31 E500
    70 E320

I think you might even be able to get one at discount. But you have to hurry.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Check out L8_Apex Nov 23, 1999 4:23am to understand the premise of this discussion.

Toyota, Acura, and some other recent mentions really are not on topic here.
    I still think that the current RL and E are very comparable in every way except acceleration.

Very similar driving and I think that the Acura is likely to be more durable because the quality levels are so much higher through out the production process.

The more the dealers tinker with the Mercedes the better it gets? I don't think so.

And just remember, 10 years ago, 33% of Daimler's cost of building a Mercedes Benze was the work done in the "post-production shop", before it ever left the factory.
    A separate RL vs. E-Class discussion might be worth a spin -- feel free to create one. I don't think that comparison belongs in this discussion, however.
    I was speaking in terms of what Mercedes has in relation to Acura. Did I say Mercedes had active suspension first? No, I didn't. Not to burst your bubble either, but since you want to go into who was "first" it wasn't Infiniti. It was a certain French brand, uh Citroen. Years before the Japanese even got a clue.

The retracting hardtop was done "first" again by Ford in the 1950's, not Mitsu. Secondly both Mitsu and Infiniti's take on both of these technologies failed. The Mitsu top was this much away from being junk as it never worked as advertised. Is that all you have to offer is "who brought hybrid technology to the market first"? Yeah I'm dying to drive a Prirus or Insight.

Is Acura a technoloy leader? No they aren't!

"Mercedes doesn't wipe out anybody". There sure as hell wipe out Acura, which is a 2nd tier brand at best. You'd have to be on whatever Whitney is on to think Acura as a whole is on the same level with Mercedes. Acura's sheet metal is not the same gauge as Mercedes', who told you that lie? Wake up, anyone that knows Hondas will tell you they use some of the thinnest sheetmetal going today.

wishnhigh1,

I've never read so much ranting about nothing. When are you going to realize that the Japanese idea of luxury isn't everybody's. You admit that it's not an issue with a Porsche, but yet you can't understand that Mercedes (across the street) from Porsche was also under the same thinking at the time. If you're going to harp about CD players with cars as basically good as BMW, MB and Audi then they're definitely not for you. You and this CD player thing is about the most ridiculous thing you've come up with yet. For your information (stay current) Mercedes, BMW and Audi are all switching to DVD based Nav systems during 2003.

"WHO THE HELL USES THOSE THINGS?"

Are you speaking of trunk mounted CD changers? I hope not, because if you are you know not of what you speak. Who uses them? Lexus, Infiniti, Acura, Mercedes, BMW, Jaguar, Audi, Cadillac, and just about every other luxury car going. Lexus, just like Mercedes didn't even offer and in-dash unit on their top LS model until recently, they too used CD changers before offering the in-dash unit with the LS430, ditto for the ES300. In-dash CD players/changers were not popular or offered up until the last few years, on any Japanese or European luxury car. So now what?

"And I am not saying they didn’t have the technology, of course they did. BUT THEY DONT IMPLEMENT IT!!!!!!"

Really? Mercedes didn't implement electro-hydraulic brakes or active rollover protection either huh? Mercedes crumple zone technology is blueprint that every single car on the road today uses, and they (Mercedes-Benz) did it first! Do you really think Acura compares to a Benz in safety engineering? Please.

"f this is purely out of debate about technology, then you are right, Mercedes is better off(except on electronics). But from what I was reading in this topic, it was about whether Acura can compete with Mercedes."

Oh so you ranted only to agree in the end. Can Acura "compete" with Mercedes, sure they can at the TL/C-Class level, but beyond that they have nothing even worth mentioning. Period. Now tell me how much of a better car the RL is compared to the E-Class. Acura is still sitting on the porch watching the bigdoggs play.

M
    Calm down merc1, I swear, one day you are going to have apoplexy right here in front of us. :)

To all: I DO think it is time we got back on track here and take the off-topic comparisons to a more appropriate venue.

"High End Luxury Marques" is meant to describe an elite and exclusive category -- we seem to have lost track of that intent lately.
    I am sorry Pat, I probably started this.

Last time I checked Lexus was a dvision of Toyota.

Does "High End" mean just the S-Class Mercedes and Lexus LS 430.

Then that's ok, but let's send the E Class folks back to where they belong too.

It's not 'High End' if the mid range Lexus, Acura RL aren't either.

But this is your sand box. Do what you want.
    Sometimes me can't help. Some of things I'm reading in here made the bs-meter go into the red.

footie,

They way the Germans build, design etc their cars they're hamstrung. Pat can he be allowed to explain such, well...explain?

The RL doesn't compete with the E-Class. Get over that.

M
    Why don't you call it the over $50K board. But don't call it "high end" - how about 'expensive cars'.

Today, price is no longer the discriminator of quality, reliability or durability. Price is just what you pay.
    They are limited competitively. They don't have the same resources to compete head-to-head with Toyota because the cost basis of their cars is driven by their production system.

Their production system isn't the best. And it's not close.

They pay up front in terms of capital required to operate. The pay during production since they are less efficient. They pay afterwards for higher warranty work because defect levels are higher.

This reduces the capital they have to invest in R&D and improving their operations.

Why do you think that the first four years service is 'free'. It isn't of course. You pay for it in the price of the car.

This doesn't mean that Benz doesn't make good cars, they do. They just aren't as good as they would be if Toyota made them.
  • ljflxljflx Member Posts: 4,690
    Lexus had the 6 disc in-dash cd player since 98. Maybe you thought it was only introduced in 2001 but that's not the case. Before that - in 95 - it was in the upper glove box. Even then it was easily accessible to the driver or passenger. Don't know about you but I consider the ability to change CD's at anytime I want a must have luxury item. I also consider great stereo systems part of the luxury panache. It may not be automotive technology but its another key luxury item.
    "I've never read so much ranting about nothing. When are you going to realize that the Japanese idea of luxury isn't everybody's. You admit that it's not an issue with a Porsche, but yet you can't understand that Mercedes (across the street) from Porsche was also under the same thinking at the time. If you're going to harp about CD players with cars as basically good as BMW, MB and Audi then they're definitely not for you. You and this CD player thing is about the most ridiculous thing you've come up with yet. For your information (stay current) Mercedes, BMW and Audi are all switching to DVD based Nav systems during 2003."

Porsche makes SPORTS CARS! Mercedes makes LUXURY CARS! Big difference there, one caters to sportiness, and the other caters to luxury. If you cant understand the fundamental difference between the two, there is no point explaining why standard equipment should be different. All of the most up to date technology should be in a high end luxury car. You say I BS too much, where the hell did you pull this "Mercedes doesnt do CD players cause of their corporate culture" crap?

""WHO THE HELL USES THOSE THINGS?"

Are you speaking of trunk mounted CD changers? I hope not, because if you are you know not of what you speak. Who uses them? Lexus, Infiniti, Acura, Mercedes, BMW, Jaguar, Audi, Cadillac, and just about every other luxury car going. Lexus, just like Mercedes didn't even offer and in-dash unit on their top LS model until recently, they too used CD changers before offering the in-dash unit with the LS430, ditto for the ES300. In-dash CD players/changers were not popular or offered up until the last few years, on any Japanese or European luxury car. So now what?"

Im talking about the consumers. I dont know a single consumer who has used a trunk mounted CD changer more than once. And Lexus has had in dash CD players for a while, and they have started to offer in dash CD changers now. In dash CD players have been popular since the early 90s...I dont know where you were this whole time.

""And I am not saying they didn’t have the technology, of course they did. BUT THEY DONT IMPLEMENT IT!!!!!!"

Really? Mercedes didn't implement electro-hydraulic brakes or active rollover protection either huh? Mercedes crumple zone technology is blueprint that every single car on the road today uses, and they (Mercedes-Benz) did it first! Do you really think Acura compares to a Benz in safety engineering? Please."

Once again, twisting my words around. I was talking specifically about CD players and Nav systems. You mentioned that Mercedes was capable of putting those in their cars earlier, and I dont deny that, BUT THEY DIDNT.

Merc1, you like to paint a portrait of me, twisting around my words and claiming that I hate Mercedes, which is very far from the truth. I have told you numerous times about my possible intentions to buy an used C280. I really enjoy the S class, the new E class, and the new C class...and I can agree that the SL is pretty cool, although I dont lust after it.

However, I am quite different from you, as I:
    a)realize Mercedes has problems, and I dont just say that I realize it.
    b)am capable of seeing superiority in other aspects of other cars
    c)dont think Mercedes is invulnerable to failure because of some hoo-haw Heritage idea
    d)think Mercedes, and Daimler Chrysler in general, has some of the absolute worst buisnessmen, CEOs, and managers in the Car Business.
    Thats a bunch of bs for the most part because you aren't really telling me anything.

"This doesn't mean that Benz doesn't make good cars, they do."

Case closed. For Toyota's all conquering might, Lexus will never win over the enthusiast who cares more about cars than CD changers and Nav systems.

Daimler-Chyrsler does too have the money and resources to compete with Toyota, what in the world gave you the idea that they don't? That is plum ridiculous.

"Why do you think that the first four years service is 'free'. It isn't of course. You pay for it in
    the price of the car."

Why do you think that Lexus' cars need servicing more often and it cost more for servicing. Why do their dealers nickel and dime people over nav system updates. Quit acting like Toyotaworld is all roses and they don't charge you for things also. Wake up. You don't get something for nothing from anyone.

ljflx,

"Lexus had the 6 disc in-dash cd player since 98." Not on every model the didn't. Not in the center stack. They may have been in the glovebox since then, but per my friend every car on the earth had them in the center stack since the early 90's. So not true. Ahh even you see that a CD player isn't "technology", merely a feature.

wishnhigh1,

Dude if you can't understand the way certain car companies think than we need to stop here. It's the same reason why the Japanese don't see doing small volume expensive cars like the Europeans do with brands like AMG, M and S/RS. They don't "see" doing cars like those because the return is so small. Mercedes, BMW, Audi and Porsche didn't see CD players as being important because they spent so much time and effort on the aspects of car design. You know yourself that a stereo in a Benz or any high-end German car was just and afterthought up until a few years ago. I'm not saying that this excusable, I'm just telling you why it was the case.

"Im talking about the consumers. I dont know a single consumer who has used a trunk
    mounted CD changer more than once. And Lexus has had in dash CD players for a while,
    and they have started to offer in dash CD changers now. In dash CD players have been
    popular since the early 90s...I dont know where you were this whole time."

Did you not read what I just wrote. I said in LUXURY CARS! Your average American or Japanese car did have an in-dash CD player, but luxury cars usually didn't. Why is that so hard for you to understand? If you don't know anyone that has a CD changer in the trunk then you don't know anybody. You're talking about consumers? Who the hell else buys these cars?

I don't have to paint a portrait of your, your posts speak for themselves. I don't know you'd buy a C280, they didn't have an in-dash CD players, or a Nav system, the two most important features you're looking for. They have cheap dash plastics, downright pitiful handling and won't last past 100K.

"However, I am quite different from you, as I:
    a)realize Mercedes has problems, and I dont just say that I realize it.
    b)am capable of seeing superiority in other aspects of other cars
    c)dont think Mercedes is invulnerable to failure because of some hoo-haw Heritage idea
    d)think Mercedes, and Daimler Chrysler in general, has some of the absolute worst
    buisnessmen, CEOs, and managers in the Car Business."

No it's more like:

a) I bash Mercedes every chance I get, all negative things, never able to see any of their accomplishments.
    b) I think every other car is superior.
    c) Mercedes is vulnerable because they don't have the best CD players setup or Nav system.
    d) Yep they're idiots.

I'm not twisting anything around. You came into the conversation and took it there, and really didn't even know what you were talking about, especially when it comes to the CD player issue. This started out as Acura vs Mercedes, technology wise, of which there is no comparison, but like everything conversation about Mercedes it turns into this type of bs session with you.

M
  • maxhonda99maxhonda99 Member Posts: 1,289
    zachmbenzfvr,

10-month waiting list? wake-up and walk down to a Benz dealer. One of the biggest markets for luxury cars(Connecticut) has virtually no wait for the new E-class. To put it in perspective, my cousin recently purchased a brand new 2003 E320 and drove it home the same day. He also got about $2.5K off MSRP. On top of that, the dealer he bought his car from said, he could have gotten him a E320 just about any way he wanted in about 1-2 months, and he still would have gotten a discount.

I'm not taking anything away from the E-class and I'm not trying to bash it in any way, as the new E320 is a great automobile and a big improvement over the lame 96-02 E-class. And personally, the new E320 is by far better than the Lexus GS-series, Audi A6, Jaguar S-type, and a bit better than the 5-series BMW.
    Im not going to get into this argument with you. But I will say one thing, regarding this paragraph:

"I don't have to paint a portrait of your, your posts speak for themselves. I don't know you'd buy a C280, they didn't have an in-dash CD players, or a Nav system, the two most important features you're looking for. They have cheap dash plastics, downright pitiful handling and won't last past 100K."

I like Mercedes for what they are. They have a great ride, a solid design, and are possibly the most safe vehicles on the road. At this point in my life, I dont need expensive luxurious plastics or leather, I dont need a standard CD player(I will probably replace with an aftermarket Blaupunkt SF), I dont need a NAV system, I dont need a sports car. I need an used, solid vehicle that will last a while and will be safe, both actively and passively. When I am more well off, and possibly looking at higher end luxury cars, I will consider Benz, just as much as I will consider Audi and Lexus. And I will hold all of them to the same standards, regardless of stupid "corporate culture" BS. I dont need to justify faults of any car.
    There was no "justification" given, there was a reason given. A big difference. I clearly stated in that post that I was not excusing them of anything.

M
  • zachmbenzfvrzachmbenzfvr Member Posts: 25
    I'm sorry. I tend to over-exagerrate sometimes. Looking at that post now makes me feel somewhat dumbfounded by what I wrote. I got caught in the moment. :)
    I think that you have a good point that right now there is a difference in the feel of cars in this class: Lexus the most smooth ( aka boring ), BMW the most sporting/firm and MB in the middle.

What's interesting to think about is where this will be in three or four years.

Today's vehicles are offering the ability for us to set sport, highway and soft settings in the ride and handling.

The new 745 from BMW doesn't have 'hydraulic' power steering. It's actually assisted by an electric motor instead.

The current 2003 Corvette has the most advanced adjustable on the road suspension system available. It uses an electromagnetic coil to alter fluid consistency within the shock absorbers to instantly adjust damping for road surfaces and conditions. With wheel sensors at each wheel adjusting damping force, the electromagnetic system responds five times faster than previous mechanical systems.

Magnetic Selective Ride Control is driver-adjustable, with two settings (Tour and Sport). Tour provides an amazingly controlled, smooth ride while Sport lets the driver "feel" the contour of the road to a greater degree.

What's going to happen in the future? Instead of just sport systems and tour, there'll be stops in between. There'll be adaptive versions that sense a significant change in road surface ( if you want it to ) and change the settings to match the new surface... like hitting a section where the pavement is getting redone.

I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Lexus (shamelessly) calibrate what the feel of a BMW or Benz is like. They'll have the settings like we see today: tour, highway and probably Euro 1 and Euro 2. Guess what they will be.

Lexus could have a strong selling proposition to current MB and BMW owners looking for the ride and feel they like, in a virtually defect free car, delivered and serviced by a dealership that generally treats you as customer they'd like to keep.

If they use the new audio technology that Bose has to cancel outside sounds they can make a car very quiet. If they can do that they can also make the 'roar' or rumble that you hear selective too. You like the roar that the E500 or sweet song of a 745, dial it right in. You won't be able to tell the difference. They'll even make the seats buzz, just 'so'.

With superior electronics, great software and active, dynamic suspensions, steering and sound components, you will be able to you pretty much dial in the experience you want, be it enthusiast 1, enthusiast 2, highway glide or shopping center cruise.

Smart sensors will monitor the effective wear of some components over time and have the software compensate so that the 'feel' remains approximately constant over an extneded life. You won't know if the car loosens up and the dash monitor will tell you if it's out of tolerance before normal servicing. Those same sensors will monitor external and operating temperatures so that shocks for example, aren't 'hard' when you first hit the street on a frosty morning.

It's mind boggling. I am sure that all of the car companies will excel in this new era, but the sense of feel and handling that the Europeans have prided themselves on won't be something that they will alone own. Nor will Lexus's super smooth ride be theirs alone. MB and BMW will have the same capability to deliver that if they invest in the same smart technology.
  • stevesteinstevestein Member Posts: 263
    Electro-sensitive paint that can change color on demand, and real-time tunable aerodynamics (beyond height adjustments).
    Well all that is impressive, but I've heard mixed reviews about GM's shock technology. I think cars in general are going to hit a wall sooner or later when it comes to technology. At the rate their going, cars will drive themselves in about 10 years.

M
    I think as long as we have individual choices about personal transportation, we'll have advances in automobile technology.

I think that a lot of external economic factors could have more to do with the directions that cars go technology-wise than we usually recognize.

The price of gas, the cost of money and the underlying wants and desires of the younger generations all come to mind.

The hard thing for all of us luxury technology car purchasers to get their heads around is that the technologies in their cars aren't unique or exclusive any more - at least not for more than a few months.

A friend who just spent $75K on a new 745i proudly told me about the new electric motor technology for his power steering instead of the old hydraulics.

My son and I were looking at 'energy efficient' cars yesterday. The new Honda Civic Hybrid ($20K) has the same set up.

My guess is that it will become unfashionable and increasingly expensive to drive around by ourselves in 5 -iter, 300 hp, 5-passenger ego boxes long before cars guide themselves without our hands on the wheels.
    Im curious as to what mixed reviews have been given and where for the GM suspension. I have heard nothing but good about them, including reliability(it lessens moving parts a good percentage), and speed of adaption. What else is there that can go wrong?
    A few reviews have stated that it doesn't do much other than switch the ride from hard to soft in a very fast manner. MotorWeek and Autoweek are the two that come to mind right away. They both doubted if the system was worth anything.

M
    Merry Christmas Merry Christmas -

It is fast enought to recalculate and change the damping every time the Corvette travels 1 inch at 60 mph.

It works by changing the effective vicscosity of the fluid in the shocks.

What's really cool is that they can change it differently on opposite sides of the car to improve handling, not just ride.

I'm sure BMW and MB will be able to get this advanced technology since the system is produced by Delphi, an independent supplier of automobile parts and systems to companies all over the world.

autoweek.com/cat_content.mv?port_code=autoweek&cat_code=carnews&loc_code=&content_code=09501022

Here's an article from Autoweek back in June. It indicates that the new C6 Vette will have this ride technology standard.

" Magnetic Ride Control uses new Delphi “valveless” shocks, which are designed to have better damping and ultra-quick response rates. The quick-acting shocks use a liquid called magneto-rheological fluid. The fluid, combined with computer-controlled coils, provides continuously variable, real-time damping. The fluid contains iron particles, which in the presence of a magnetic field, can align themselves into a thicker state. If the magnetic field isn’t present, the fluid takes on a thinner state. The tuning levels are nearly unlimited, depending on programming and adjusting the algorithms controlling the damping responses.

The benefits, based on brief drives we’ve done in the 50th Anniversary car and some Sevilles equipped with the system, are fantastic: The ride is better, there’s less body roll, less dive under hard braking and squat under hard acceleration, and faster body and wheel control.

From Detroit News Columnist John McCormick:

http://www.detnews.com/2002/insiders/0206/24/inside-522080.htm
    That is the initial review, there was a later one in which they didn't. AFTER they lived with a car that has it, the 2003 STS.

Naturally "Detroit" News would, hardly going to get a bad review there.

In short it's no big deal to me, GM has played the shock game before and until they engineer the rest of the to same standard it's really pointless.

How much you wanna bet BMW and MB DON'T "get" this technology?

M
    Hi Merc1, Happy New Year.

Can you share the link for the Autoweek review where they didn't like it. I looked hard throughout their site and couldn't find any negative comments. It's always helpful to be able to read the original reviews to get the complete story.

In terms of your conclusions about who will or won't use this over time, I am staying open to the idea and learning a bit more. It seems to me that the days of 'pure mechanical' systems that constituted technology where German companies like BMW and MB had a lead in the 60's and 70's, are long gone.

Today, the innovation starts with advanced electronics as a major degree of freedom in design. Shocks are no different, and have been integrated into the electronically controlled suspension and braking systems. They've just been pretty passive up to now. The big difference with MR and why it's such an improvement over even air-damping and cushioning systems, is that the working fluid in the shock is active and controllable in real time by microelectronics. Air doesn't respond to high speed electromagnetics very well.

I like MR's chances! I hope that Toyota/Lexus adopt it. It will be a stepping stone to dial-a-ride with the European Profiles I mentioned in an earlier post.

The underlying technology wasn't developed by GM or Delphi as it turns out. But Delphi is productizing the MR in the 50th Anniversary Vette and STS.

MR is also being used in bus and heavy equipment seats (Class 8 machinery) to reduce vibration and increase operator safety. It's being used in sesmic mitigation. prosthetics, and consumer product vibration reduction applications (washing machines). It's protected by numerous U.S. patents held by a U.S. company. Take a look at

http://www.rheonetic.com

Enjoy...and Happy New Year.

• fjk57702fjk57702 Member Posts: 539
    One thing I do know about Cadillac's computer controlled suspension (magnetic or otherwise) is that it is expensive to maintain. The shocks do wear out and will need replaced as they age. For the STS and the Corvette, the shocks will provide both a good ride and good handling (but perhaps not at the same time).
    I think all shocks wear out and require replacement. I would tend to think that both replacement parts and labor are high in general for cars that qualify for this forum.

I feel that one of the advantages of the magnetic technology is that the shock control system can measure the shock's performance versus expected results and compensate, both for temperature and wear. This should aid the components life.

I think if you read some of the MR links you might conclude that they provide a system for both good ride and good handling. The reason being that the need for 'good handling' arises very quickly even though you might only be out for a 'comfortable' ride. I can happen when you take evasive maneuvers or just get overzealous on a challenging back road. A system like the one in the 50th Anniversary Vette and STS, can give you the 'comfort' when you want it, but be programmed to respond to 'emergencies' much like ABS/EBD/VSC does in a Lexus today. The MR suspension plays an active role in emergency handling, limiting body roll and its effects on lateral weight distribution. This tends to keep the inside tires firmly in contact with the roadway and more weight on them.
  • fjk57702fjk57702 Member Posts: 539
    I am fairly sure that my SLS's shocks are cheaper to replace than the STS's. My handling is probably not quite as good and probably the ride is not quite as good as the STS can manage, but overall I think the SLS's ride and handling are good, and the cost of keeping it up should be reasonable.