Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

High End Luxury Cars

Comments

• dwongswongdwongswong Member Posts: 62
    1)Audi A8L
    2)Range Rover
    3)Mercedes SL500
    4)Lamborghini Gallardo

This list might change when the new Mercedes S-class, Lexus LX470, and Acura NSX come out. I don't know if I would ever spend more than $200,000 for any vehicle, even if I was rich.

I love modern cars. I like to read and see some of the most beautiful vehicles in the world. Where I live--Memphis,Tn-- I rarely get to see truly high end cars. I will occassionaly see a Lamborghini, Ferrari, Porsche, Bentley, Rolls-Royce, or Lotus. But, every time I see a beautiful luxury car, it is like eye candy. In my opinion, only women are more beautiful than a car. It might sound crazy, but that's how I feel. I lease a new car every three years, and it seems that I keep getting more and more luxury cars than before. Right now, my wife and I have a 2003 Audi A6 and a 2000 BMW 328CI. Hopefully soon we will be able to trade her BMW for a Lexus or an Infiniti.

A little off the subject, but have any of you seen the new Acura TL that is suppose to come out at the end of the year. I saw a picture of it on some auto show website, but I haven't heard anything about it since. It looked great to me. As always, drive safely out there.
  • michael_mattoxmichael_mattox Member Posts: 813
    I think the Acura is staying with the 6 cyl. engine...I like the looks of the car....but..
  • merc1merc1 Member Posts: 6,081
    That was actually t6553gw that quoted the price on the rental Phaeton.

M
  • t6553gwt6553gw Member Posts: 18
    I think it's called Euro rental, but you will see the car close to those airport rental counter, also I called a local HERTZ rental, they told me for 139 EURO, you can rental a MB S class 3.5 V6/BMW 735i with 3.5 V8/Porsch Carrera 4s(tiptronic)/MB SLK. I didn't ask about the mileage limit but I think no limit, at least with C Class/3 Serise, I vague remember 250 EURO for the MB SL. Great price compare to U.S
    I just registered in BMWUSA site for the driving event, The car I picked is 760il, I am excited.
  • fsvfsv Member Posts: 196
    Last time I was there was in November; I rented a car for some funny money - like a 150 bucks for a week - no, 10 days, actually (I barely needed a car, but still wanted to have something). Then I got out from the airport and filled up the tank - it was like 80 bucks - every time I fill up the car there, I experience a cultural shock...
  • dannytrannydannytranny Member Posts: 1
    it sickens me that acura doesnt put at least a V8 in their top of the line exotic. does the honda/acura motor company even make an engine with more than 6 cylinders? i hope that michael mattox is wrong, 'cause that would make me upset if the next generation NSX had another ballpark 250hp V6.
    Danny

For $89,000 one would think there would be at least a V8

COMPACT COUPE/HATCHBACK Trans. Engine Cyl. Price
    Base Styles (MSRP: $89,765)
    2dr Coupe Auto. 3.0L 6cyl TMV Price
    2dr Coupe Manual 3.2L 6cyl TMV Price

Get A Free
    Price Quote
    on this 2003
    Acura NSX
  • sphinx99sphinx99 Member Posts: 776
    I finally saw a Phaeton today at a high-line Euro body shop I take my car to for scrapes. I chatted with the owner briefly about it, who said that he has had several come in for door ding treatment; the car's wide berth makes it a frequent victim, unfortunately. It was very, very imposing, as far as a VW goes. However, it is hard to imagine the Phaeton sharing the same logo with a VW Rabbit, you know? Hmm.
  • footiefootie Member Posts: 636
    Hi DannyTranny

wards is one of the automobile industry's most respected news outlets. They've been doing awards for 'engines of the year' for the last 9 years.

Honda got two awards this year for their 4 and the new V6.

Take a look at wardsauto.com.
  • linardlinard Member Posts: 59
    CAR Magazine just reviewed the W12 Phaeton and the reviewer didn't seem to think the Phaeton stands a chance at competing with the other luxury marques. Their main reason was quality, the car had a number of electrical issues and they didn't feel the driving experience was up to par. Interesting article...

I also disagree with the NSX being ridiculous, for a car that came out in 1989, it was named a favorite of both CAR and Top Gear magazines citing the overall completeness and precision of the car. While having only 290 horsepower, it has never been outclassed in any comparison I have ever read. It may be old, but not outdated.
  • bmwdriver02bmwdriver02 Member Posts: 46
    I cannot seem to find the link to those pictures of Jay Leno in the Maybach. Can anyone please reference me to the message # or even re-post the link?
  • ljflxljflx Member Posts: 4,690
    It was in the NY Times Automobile section last Sunday. It may still be accessible at the NY Times on-line. Merc1 posted the link. It may also be available at the German car fan site.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    http://www.nytimes.com/2003/07/20/automobiles/20LENO.html

You have to register to view the article, but it's free.

The Maybach pictures are in the "slide show" linked in the multimedia sidebar. Be sure to check out the "interactive feature" about his Stanley Steamer in that sidebar as well!
    I wouldn't say that NSX is "ridiculous" either, but it's surely been outclassed for sure, for a number of years, staring with introduction of the Ferrari F355 and current Porsche 911. While Vipers and Corvette Z06s don't "outclass" in handling or engineering they'll definitely beat the NSX pretty badly. The NSX was outdated about 6 years ago at least. It's been outclassed in a few comparisions too, check out some of the old Road and Tracks, one test with Mario Andretti in particular where he picked the Ferrari over the NSX. Now the Europe only NSX-R is still very competitive. Of course with the sales volumes here, it made no sense to bring that version over here.

Sadly, Acura has said no to a V8, which doesn't look too promising because the competition already has V8's and now V10s are coming into focus. It sounded like the like the perfect business plan, a new V8 that could be shared with next RL and NSX.

M
  • pablo_lpablo_l Member Posts: 491
    ...actually, 6 cyls can be very fine engines. Last I checked, Porsche has done rathr OK for many years with a 6 pot in the 911. Beemer's 6 inline is arguably a better engineered engine than the bigger 8 cylinder engines, and when the car isn't porky the power-weight ration makes it the more desirable engine.

The US has a love-thing going for 8 cylinders that is actually not based on any engineering merits that are unique to this engine configuration. But car manufacturers know that the US biying public thinks more cylinders are better, and thus deliver on it.

By the way, I know car engineers that claim that by nature the inline six is a perfectly balanced engine configuration - more so than a V8 (or V6, too).
  • jagboyxtypejagboyxtype Member Posts: 241
    A while back, I read an interesting article on Honda and its decision not to create engines as large as V8's for itself or for Acura. Sorry I can't find a link, it was pretty long ago and I didn't save it. The simple reasons stated in the article were that Honda has always prided itself in being a rather "green" company - meaning environmentally friendly, as far as automobiles go - and enjoys all of the government perks as well as the ability to advertize its Ultra Low Emissions status, etc. They've deemed it more profitable to not have huge, torque-replete engines, and having a V8 would take away from the image that they've created or are trying to build, of being, well, Honda. The number of cylinders actually doesn't matter so much anymore even for smoothness, and the big thing is displacement. Didn't Ferrari have something like a 2.0-liter V-12 at one point? Sure it was probably a great engine, but a busy machine like that could be simplified by simply having a 4 or 6 cylinder engine of the same size. It could even produce the same power if done correctly, and a simpler engine with less mechanical pieces equalling less chances to fail is often better. It's not like Hondas and Acuras aren't selling because their engines are not competitive, and they aren't trying to go up against an Aston Martin V12 or a Rolls Royce with any of their offerings.
    ...actually, 6 cyls can be very fine engines. Last I checked, Porsche has done rathr OK for many years with a 6 pot in the 911. Beemer's 6 inline is arguably a better engineered engine than the bigger 8 cylinder engines, and when the car isn't porky the power-weight ration makes it the more desirable engine.

The US has a love-thing going for 8 cylinders that is actually not based on any engineering merits that are unique to this engine configuration. But car manufacturers know that the US biying public thinks more cylinders are better, and thus deliver on it.

By the way, I know car engineers that claim that by nature the inline six is a perfectly balanced engine configuration - more so than a V8 (or V6, too).
    G35's or FX35's V6 is a good V6, but you want more, and more comes with 4.5L V8; overall feel of V8, it's smoothness at any rpm's gives you better quality feel. And, luxury car segment stipulates, that when you buy this kind of a car, you get collection of all the desireable goodies, available on the market. V6 is available in economy class segment - so, who wants it? May be it is hard to afford V10 or V12 for the money, but please, give me V8. And V6 - keep it in an Accord or Maxima...
    Actually, by nature an inline 6 has perfect balance and thus more smoothness than a V8. Ask an engine expert. The reason a V12 is also very smooth it's because it consists of 2 perfectly balanced I6 banks.
    There is an outside chance that I am wrong but I believe the Lexus 4.2L V8 is Greener (exceeds all California emmissions standards) quieter and smoother then any Honda 6.
    ...besides, I would hope that not every "luxury car" buyer is looking for smoothest, most assisted and ultimately most remote driving experience possible. I do think in this era of ultra-smooth, over-assisted-by-wire, ultra-supple cars, the true mark of luxury will be to introduce some idiosyncratic, entertaining traits -to the less discerning "flaws"- to achieve differentiation and appeal. I for one got tired and bored by smoothness in the end. Never forget that according to Oscar White, inpracticality is the very essence of luxury.

No one ever called a Morgan Plus 8 smooth. But it is a luxury good.
    Actually I do not want a sports car as my daily driver. I have a Miata that is entertaining.

I want a remote comfortable, smooth, and quiet driving experience. I want to be pampered in every way possible...I do not want flaws....

I do not want Idiosyncratic, I do not want a thrill ride in my daily driver (there is Disney Land for that or Corvetts or Morgans)

I want to be pampered, I want Luxury.
    the moral here is - have one (or a few/many) of everything. But V8 - entry ticket in this particular class...
    Oscar White was a writer and bon-vivant in the last century.

Luxury does not equal with being pampered. That is *your* choice. But other luxury consumers don't agree, and every company is free to go after a different intended audience.

And V8s are a US idiosynchracy. In Europe, the key is to have a good 6-pot in this class, for that'll be the moneymaker. They seldom even bother importing them into the US.

Finally - a Bentley Arnage's supercharged engine is many wonderful things, but the smoothest engine it certainly ain't. And yet it seems a number of very wealthy luxury sedan buyrers that *could* easily afford a smoother, more practical car, decide they can't have any other car.
    Hooray for the difference (I am avoiding french terms this year)

We Americans are definately a different breed from our brothers in Europe.

It seems that all the luxuary cars we know and recognize do have V-8s Audi, Rolls, Bently, Mercedes, BMW, Lexus. Lucky for us you guys make them. Note there are no American cars on my list.

We are blessed with lower gas prices and wider roads which has probably helped establish our tastes.
    Well, I do live in the US, but honestly, I don't get the fixation on V8s. They can be crappy engines.

One example: Jaguar. Their I6 was smoother than the very fine V8 they introduced to follow up on it. Torquier, too. Not as powerful in the high end, but what the porkier breed of luxury car needs is foremost torque in order to feel lively.

BMW is the other example: their I6 is one of the smoothest engines on earth. If they build a larger displacement version, it might well be a better fit for larger cars than the somewhat peakier (and slightly less smooth) V8. But they know the US public wouldn't go for it, and thus they don't try.

Don't get me wrong: I am not saying cars with V8s in them aren't great. Truthfully, one can't really make a huge mistake buying any of the cars that have been mentioned in this thread. It's just I don't get the simplistic V8=Luxury notion that seems so prevalent in the US, and which I feel leads to fewer truly distinctive choices.

These supposedly universally accepted rules lead to cars that become more similar to each other every day. I think the car world is poorer for that.
  • footiefootie Member Posts: 636
    I believe the bon-vivant was Oscar Wilde.

The only reference I could find to Oscar White was a sausage company.
    Oh my God, you are right of course - brain meltdown...
    I see Edmunds has a review of the Maybach 57. They're saying pretty much what everyone else has been saying, that the Maybach doesn't provide the styling of a 300K car or enough differentation from the S-Class when it comes to it's interior, for the money that is. I have to say I agree with the majority here. BMW put a lot more effort into the Phantom and it shows. Funny thing is I don't care much for the Phantom either, but it does make more of a statement. Maybach, conservative luxury, Rolls, much more noticeable and over the top. I guess there is room in the market for both approaches, but I have to say I'd take a Bentley Arnage T over either of them.

M
    I think anyone with a pulse would pick the Bentley over those 2 cars *and* blow the $100k one saved on remodelling the yacht's kitchen sink area or something. :-)

Honestly, Bentleys are some of the few cars in existence that still have *soul*. The Maybach is an over-artificial marketing exercise and is a total miss in design, the Rolls needs its front re-designed to regain its former elegance.
    You were onto the styling issue very early in the game on the Maybach - and thought it was its shortcoming - despite your partisan to MB. Apparently you were right on the money and quite objective about it. I only saw one on the road - going into the Lincoln tunnel in the winter and it was filthy due to all the snow on the ground at the time. But the grill with its Lincoln-like look seemed to cheapen the car. I found this ironic for MB - because I think the enlarged grill on the 2003 S-class made it a better looking car. So I liked the grill on one MB and disliked it on its much higher priced brother. I had thought the pre-2003 S-class grill was too small and mousy looking. That was really - in my opinion the only design flaw on the car.

It's really so arbitrary and so personal as to what drives buyers. One spin in the A8 and I knew I could not buy the car. Why? - far too harsh a ride which is a deal breaker item for me. Yet a poster on the A8 board, who also thought the ride was harsh was not driven away from buying the car, or at least is still considering it seriously. So we all have our desires in high-end cars and I would think the higher you go the more selective you get. I still like the Maybach style but if I were in that league of buyers - its reasonably close resemblance to an S-class might end up bothering me. No question that the Rolls - like it or not - is an attention grabber and very unique. The more I see it the more I like it.

Now - in all honesty I am seriously shopping SUV's - not your favorite topic at all. I drove the Tourag today and it is far removed from being in the LX470 and Range Rover league. These are the only - in my opinion - two players in the high-end lux SUV league. Can't go wrong with either. I did finally drive the 2003 LX as well and as good as my 2000 is the new one is an even better luxury ride and quieter still. Maybe it's the 18" tires. Now I've got to find out the changes in store for 2004. I'm buying this time so I'm really doing my homework.
    I think by far the worst design element in the Mayback is the back of the car. The all-over tailight element is both cheap and utterly outdated in a *bad* (i.e. not "classic") way. The front also lacks character, I totally agree. And from the side its vanilla sedan - most cars look pretty much the same in a profile shot these days.

As far as SUVs go -and while I wouldn't drive one, given the quality of many US roads I fully understand why many do- I think the Range Rover is in a clas of its own. I've spent quite a bit of time with the LX470, and it is lovely, but the Range Rover is a class above in interior design. Without a doubt one of the top 5 interiors (in *any* price class) in the automobile world these days. Lovely - especially if you stay away from some of the more questionable greenish color combos ("vomit over bile") that BMW somehow is growing fond of these days. I'd pick the Range, but as you say, you can't go totally wrong with either.
    Well you know how I am about styling, astethics and the sheer curbside appeal of these luxury cars, so when one (even an MB made product) doesn't live up to the standard I cannot tell a lie. The Maybach looks are not what they should be. The final test will be when I get to see one on the road, because at all the autoshows this past winter it looked good, but I think imposing would have been a better word. It sure doesn't look anything like the S-Class, the Lincoln analogy is much more accurate. I've got to see one on the open road. There have been a number of German styling misses as of late, the 7-Series, most likely the 5-Series, the CLK coupe, and the Maybach. I haven't seen the new CLK Cabriolet yet.

I'm surprised you didn't like the VW SUV, it's interior has that Audi build to it. Go for the Range Rover, it's a stunner for a "truck". I'll be awaiting your final decision.

M
    I saw and sit in a testing Maybach in Hamburg, once I get close to it, I started to feel excited by the sheer size and once I sit in it, I knew it not just a oversized S-calss, I think somehow it hides its extraordinary character from a distance.
    That plasticky late 80s Oldsmobile posterior is still inexcusable, though. No one doubts the Maybach is a technology tour de force and has phenomenal inner values. It just doesn' caress the eye.
  • eric312eric312 Member Posts: 71
    I recently bought a 2001 740I and I keep having random electronic problems with it. Just wondering if someone has experienced something similar. For example:
    1. When I press the button on the door the side mirrors do not close
    2. When the door is open I have to press and hold the memory button in order to get driver’s seat into programmed position. According to the manual I should only have to hold the button when the door is closed.
    3. Alarm does not unlock the doors until I unlock them with a key manually.
    4. If I leave the car parked with the front wheels turned, when I come back to the car and start driving the steering wheel is very stiff until I stop with the wheels straight and turn off the car for a few minutes.
    All of the above happens randomly so if I just go to the dealer I will not be able to demonstrate it to him.

Three more “improvement” questions:
    1 Has anyone connected a later model Motorola phones to 740 instead of the old StarTec that it came with and how much did it cost?
    2. Where and for how much can I buy updated DVDs for navigation?
    3 Is it possible to watch TV and play DVD on the navigation screen?
  • blockislandguyblockislandguy Member Posts: 336
    Eric212, come one, you're kidding?
  • jagboyxtypejagboyxtype Member Posts: 241
    "2. Where and for how much can I buy updated DVDs for navigation?
    3 Is it possible to watch TV and play DVD on the navigation screen?"

Navigation DVD's should be available, at least to be ordered, from your BMW dealer/service department.

I don't believe U.S. cars have the ability to play movies in the navigation screen; for safety reasons, U.S.-bound cars usually have the feature turned off making it impossible to watch movie DVD's while at rest or at speed. In Europe, BMWs, Jaguars, and Mercedes I believe, all have the ability to play movie DVD's in the nav system, so it is possible to rewire the thing to work...

Other stuff all seems pretty minor too; for the most part, it sounds like some of the electrical connections are not getting through, and something's up with your power-steering pumps or something if the wheels are acting up that way. Just go to your dealer and have them fix it all, if not just to get rid of annoyances like non-functioning buttons, at least to be safe with the steering system. Hope all goes well.
    Road and Track (Sept) has a review of the Maybach 57 too. Their review is saying basically the same thing as all the rest, outstanding interior thats better than the exterior. Their test car is Black over Grey, and somewhat better looking than the lighter color choices. The performance of the 57 is unbelievable for car of it's size and weight, 4.9 secs 0-60 and 60 mph through the slalom, which is about 4 mph slower than the Cadillac XLR, SL500 and Jaguar XK8. Its the same as the SC430.

I know you're looking at SUV and you want luxury over sport...so something like a Cayenne Turbo is out huh?

M
    I don't have too much doubt that the Maybach is the best car on the planet. I just wish someone (not my wife with our joint money) would buy me one.

SUV's - I've decided to hold off on the decision to later in the year. I'll take a 2004 rather than a late model 2003. I love both the Range Rover and the LX but the latter will likely be the choice because of the higher seating capacity. I don't like the Cayenne at all. In fact I have mistaken the Santa Fe (Hyundai or whoever makes it) for it in my rear mirror a few times. I'm sure it's got Porsche quality and sportiness all over it but I can't bring myself to buy an SUV for sport features. A friend of mine moved from a Landcruiser to an X-5 and said the latter is not good in rain let alone in snow. He loves it but for SUV driving wishes he had stayed with the TLC. He also misses the interior space. SUV's - as I use them are for people hauling, heavy cargo and require plenty of interior room, comfort and luxury but I don't like the real large ones. Thus the RR and LX hit the sweet spot perfectly. Plus I like the car like ride that both the RR and LX have for such big imposing vehicles. They both have nearly as good a ride quality as the S-class and LS430 lux sedans.

I think I've become boring when it comes to cars. In the lux end it's the S vs. LS (love both and fully appreciate the excellence of both), in the SUV land it's the RR vs the LX (same opinion as above) and in the sport end I love the SL and SC. I also love the CCI if I wanted to go cheaper. Regardless of price points what am I most likely to buy in that group - LS, LX and SL. I'm past my SC desire (still love everything about the car though) but in all honesty I'm a likely SL buyer (it's MB's most special car in my opinion - excluding AMG's) within 3+ years when I sell out my shares in a business I own.

On another front - Interesting story in the business section of todays NY Times. Apparently more and more Europeans are buying Japanese (Toyota naturally leading the way) cars. Since I go to Europe often I know how difficult it is to crack the nationalistic buying trends there. The primary reason the Japanese are gaining share is the high build quality, high reliability and the lower prices. I think in the years to come you will see Lexus start to penetrate that luxury market as well. Slowly at first and then quicker and quicker. That's the way it has gone in the UK. The article did say the European manufacturers are starting to form alliances to fight it off. At least they are reacting early in the game - unlike GM, Ford and Chrysler who ended up being reactive rather than proactive 20+ years ago.
    Well you knew I'd go for that. I'm just waiting to see a Maybach on the street.

I can fully understand your position with SUVs. They really are meant for utility and/or off roading and the RR and the TLC are the best at doing both luxury and off roading, especially the Range Rover.

I say instead of a SL500, try a SL55...that should liven things up a bit. Or since you're looking at 2-door cars, what about a CL500 or CL55? While I love the SL too, I think the CL is Mercedes best car, SL style, and more room. The Cabrio version of the CL (2004 or 05) should be about perfect. Which car did you mean in your third paragraph "CCI"?

M
    BMW330. It's the only BMW I truly like and I like it a lot.

Hey - I just got my R&T today. I thought we got it earlier than you on the East Coast. Did you happen to catch the $100k Lexus V-10 GT on PG 48 that they say will come out in 2005? That'll mean the end of the NSX unless Acura gets more serious with power plants. You will see Lexus go upscale a lot in the next few years. The competition will bring out the best in all of the brands. Have you ever seen so many great cars around? Let me know what do you think of that V-10GT.

I'll read the Maybach story tommorrow. I see that Edmunds also reviewed it.

Alright - I'm going to bed. Reading materials for a long board meeting tommorrow made me come back to Edmunds for some last second relaxation. I rarely see you post this late. You're usually an early bird.

Hey - I just got my R&T today. I thought we got it earlier than you on the East Coast. Did you happen to catch the $100k Lexus V-10 GT on PG 48 that they say will come out in 2005? That'll mean the end of the NSX unless Acura gets more serious with power plants. You will see Lexus go upscale a lot in the next few years. The competition will bring out the best in all of the brands. Have you ever seen so many great cars around? Let me know what do you think of that V-10GT.

Alright - I'm going to bed. Reading materials for a long board meeting tommorrow made me come back to Edmunds for some last second relaxation. I rarely see you post this late. You're usually an early bird.

YIKES! You must have had the same error when trying to post that I had earlier. I had to go back and delete the double posts.

Well a BMW 330Ci is a fine car too, and I'm sure it's merely a matter of writing a check for you.

Yep I saw the Lexus V10 GT, its a interesting car, except for the styling. The rear end being what needs work the most. I'm not so sure if the car should be a Lexus or a Toyota, the Lexus name has a long way to go with people who like Porsches and Ferraris. Anyway it's much to early to get into that, the car is still a ways off. Just like the Frankfurt show reveals all for the German brands, all eyes will be on Toyko this year for these Toyotas/Lexus models as well as the next RL, and possibly some type of NSX concept.

I'm more interesting in seeing the next Supra. I'd had no problem with buying a this particular Toyota. All they have to do is price it like the 350Z, match or exceed that car's peformance and styling and most importantly give it a better interior than the Z. The Z's interior reminded me of a cardboard box in look, feel and smell. The one I drove had about 30 miles on it and it rattled like a years old car. I never thought about the car since.

Nope, never in my short time (since about 85') of following cars seriously have I seen such a glut of expensive and powerful cars. I can't imagine being one of the richy-rich that can afford to buy whatever. I'd go mad. I think I'd have about 20-25 cars!

I usually lurk around the boards at night during down-time at work.

M