Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Audi A4 2004 and earlier

Comments

• fdxboyfdxboy Member Posts: 45
    I was not even looking at Audi when I was in the market for a new car. The only reason I did is because a friend of mine suggested that I do so. When you take into account safety(6 airbags), Control of the vehicle(Quattro..get it..don't let anybody tell you otherwise), refinement(even the cigerette lighter has a nice feel to it), Warranty (4/50K bumper to bumper..ok no tires but what more could you want) Mod. ability is endless(if you are into that kind of thing) Resale(it has been said that the Quattro will hold its resale 100%, also look at the re-sale of German lux. vehicles vs. others...you won't be disappointed) And you also get a car that not everybody in their Mothers own (i.e. Accord) Last, my favorite, you get to tell people that you drive an Audi and you get to hang out on cool forums too with other Audi enthusists that love our cars as much as you will. Take the jump! You won't regret it!
  • golfhound1golfhound1 Member Posts: 6
    I am in the market for a new car. I am a German car man through and through. I looked at a few and I am pretty sure I want the Audi because of the quattro system. Do I need the 2.8 6cyl? Is the 1.8T peppy enough? I've heard people talk about chipping the engine. Is this bad for it? How much of a difference does it make? Is it expensive? How does the leatherette wear? Sorry for so many questions but it seams there are a lot of Audi enthusiasts here who might be able to answer some of my questions. Thanks in advance.
  • scirocco22scirocco22 Member Posts: 721
    Mike-- Your questions have been previously discussed on this board if you want to scroll back but all of us are always eager to discuss them again! It seems like we are all eager to sell *our* cars to others but I guess that's the way it is with any car if your ownership experience is a positive one. I know you'll have many wanting to respond to your questions so stay tuned!!

1.8t vs 2.8: Most of us here really believe in the 1.8t engine. IMO, it has plenty of power (with a manual) in its stock form. As I stated two posts back, it is a proven reliable engine used across the VW model line and it has twice been included in the Ward's "10 Best Engines" list. It is highly *moddable* if more power is what you're looking at. The 2.8, however, is very limited in its ability to be modified and is very expensive if tried. The 2.8, like any V6 will idle smoother (and possibly quieter) and will be more quiet on the highway because of its taller gearing. Billy (or others) will fill you in on why it is $4,000-$5,000 more than the 1.8t for I'm always leaving something out when I attampt to describe the difference between the two models.

Chipping: Oh man! you'll get plenty of responses to this one! I have decided (I think) not to chip so again, Billy or Mark (or others) can fill you in on the pros and cons. For a "stage 1" chip, it usually runs somewhere in the range of $300-$500. Go back and read some of Mark's posts for he is our resident "expert" on chipping and Audis in general.

Leatherette: I love it! Like I've said before, I had it on my Scirocco and it looked new even after 10 years of heavy use. Real leather will stretch and show its age after even a couple of years of use. Just be carefull if you're a smoker because the slightest ember will melt right through if not brushed off immediately. And if you don't tell your friends, nobody will even know it's not real leather!

Okay, Mike, like I say, keep in touch for I'm sure others will like to respond to your inquiries. Also, go to http://audiworld.com/forum/index.html at Audiworld.com and check the A4 forum and its archives for all the questions you could ever ask have been addressed there at some point.

• nitpickernitpicker Member Posts: 89
    Here's my $.02 on your Forester-A4 dilemma:

After researching various vehicles for more than a year, I was on the verge of buying a Forester. I liked its practicality, reliability, great visibility, decent handling, heated seats, awesome moonroof, the fact that it uses regular gas, its safety features, and all the amenities it offered for a reasonable price. I was looking for a replacement for an '89 Integra, which has been a really reliable car and which is a blast to drive. Like you, I thought the Forester's handling was not as good as a Honda's, but I could live with it. And like you, I wanted a vehicle that I could keep for at least 10 years. The Forester seemed like a very practical, well-thought-out decision -- nothing that ignited any passion, but I thought I'd be satisfied with the Forester.

Then, just for the heck of it, I drove an A4 -- and was just blown away.

I ended up ordering a 2001.5 A4 1.8T with Quattro and Tip. I know it won't be as practical as the Forester, in terms of hauling stuff, but the A4 offers some features that the Forester doesn't (side airbags for the head and better handling, for instance). As far as the back seats go, yes, the A4 is sort of cramped, but I thought the seats themselves were much more comfortable than the back seats in the Forester. Also, I've heard that you have more rear legroom in the 1.8T than in the 2.8 -- but I can't verify that.

Also: Even though the A4 I test-drove was an automatic, it was even more fun to drive than my manual-trans Integra. (I couldn't believe it -- an automatic that's more fun to drive than my stick!) The bottom line for me, though, was this: I can usually be pretty dispassionate about cars, but this car kept me awake at night, just thinking about what a great car it was!

Are you sure the price difference would be $5-8K? When I calculated the difference, I thought it would be more like $3-5K, depending on options. I decided that the difference amounted to several hundred dollars per year over the life of the car, and that I was willing to pay that just for the extra "entertainment value" of the A4.

Like you, I was (and still am, somewhat) concerned about the reliability of the A4. But like Scirocco, I think Audi has worked out many of the bugs in the model's early years. If that's not the case -- if this car gives me many hassles in terms of reliability -- it will be the last Audi I ever buy. In the meantime, I'm psyched about getting this A4 (still six weeks 'til delivery, but who's counting?). Anyway, hope this helps.
  • markcincinnatimarkcincinnati Member Posts: 5,343
    I have parktronic -- when you put the car into reverse (if you have standard parktronic) a beep is heard -- as you get closer to an object, a beeping at intervals starts, as you get really close, 1 meter -- the beep becomes a tone. I love it, thought at first it was BS, now I praise it. Also available is front parktroninc -- it, has an off on swicth so that it is not going off when you are in close traffic at a traffic light for example (A8's have this).

The A4 will have only rear parktronic available as part of a Navigation Package -- which will include GPS and ON*star -- at least that is the "rumor"

The A6 calls it the Guidance Package -- in Europe all of these things are available as ONE OFF options -- here in the US, however they seem to package them, which is OK by me.
  • lauk0dglauk0dg Member Posts: 563
    MMMMM just came back from the KK run in Chicago....yummy and even yummier with 13 A4/S4 and 1 A6 2.7T showed up......more S4's than A4's......and more silver than non silver's :>

OK, let's see......

Chip: Alright let's talk about potato chips here. Somebody likes Ruffles, somebody likes Pringles. Some potato chips run for $400, some run for $500. You need to eat the lower-level potato chips before you can eat the higher-level ones, but of course higher-level potato chips cost more but give you A LOT OF POWER. Stock hp and torque are 170hp and 166lb-ft, and after your car eats the Stage 1 potato chips that will give you from 25hp to 39hp and about 40lb-ft torque. You can say those potato chips are relatively cheap for that kind of energy boost. Audi of America (AoA) condemns this kind of behavior and will not work on your warranty claim if they can link the faulty parts with addition of the potato chip, hence the potato chip analogy (and of course AoA goes overboard and dealers will link whatever faulty parts to your chip so if you can prove they're wrong, they need to fix it). For myself, I haven't decided on which potato chip tastes better or if I really need to buy the potato chips, since now I launch and shift much better, stock power comes pretty handy.

2.8 vs 1.8T: Emm.....naturally-inspired V6 vs turbocharged 4-banger, 30 valves vs 20 valves, 190hp vs 170hp (rumored to be 180hp), standard power seats vs standard (and not upgradable) manual seats, optional leather vs leatherette/cloth seats, chrome trim around windows vs black plastic trim around windows, bigger stock 16" rims vs stock 15" rims, wood interior trim vs aluminum interior trim, and last but not least, several $k's in change.

I would say, test drive both and see if you need the V6 power and luxury. Personally I (and a few of us here) like the thrill of the turbo spinning up and I just luvvv the sudden rush of power all the way from 1950rpm to 5000rpm.

Oh by the way, when I was there eating donuts, a nice man pulled out his VAG-COM tool and did the auto lock/unlock at 15mph and the auto windows up/down with remote locking for me. Simple, easy, and awesome. The auto lock/unlock is simple to explain, car will lock itself when it reaches 15mph and unlock itself when you pull the key out. FOr the windows down/up thingy, when you depress the unlock button to unlock your car, keep on depressing the unlock button and all 4 windows (excl the sunroof) will go down too. Conversely, when you lock the car, keep on holding the lock button for like 3 sec and all the windows will go up. VERY NEAT. I didn't do the one-touch and all doors unlock thing though, cuz I like the stock config being you can unlock one door and not unlocking all doors for one press on the button.

Mark got some really good potato chips that he can share :> Scirocco and fdxboy got some good explanations to questions.....so I guess I will go back to eat my donuts :>

Billy
    Hey, thanks for the input. I just went to the Wetterauer(sp?) website and got all of the info I needed. Sounds like a turbo-charged engine is a lot easier, less expensive and more fun to tweak. All I'm looking for is a stage 1 increase. Nothing dramatic. It takes hp to 205 but torque to 250! Sounds like a rocket. It also sounds like I can pull the new chip out and put the stock one back in when I take it in for service. Keep in touch, I live in Oak Park. I'd love to make the KK run when I get my A4. Thanks again.
    Billy, I thought you weren't going to have the *windows up and down* programmed into your remote? ...changed your mind?
    Hey, what about the ESP traction control? Is that a needed option with the quattro? Those of you in the Chicago area, where did you buy yours? Did you have a good experience?
    I am in Lisle and yeah we got gatherings all the time.....I think the next one is on Jun 16 (a BBQ). Show up and you can see all of us and ask tons of questions. Today's KK run was at Elk Grove Village.

I bought mine at Schaumburg Audi and reason was, they offer the lowest rates. However, after I bought mine, I have heard various opinions about them and not sure if they're true. I guess I will find out at my 5k service.....may bring mine to them or Continental Audi in Naperville as it's a lot closer. Keep in mind that, if you don't buy your car there, if that dealer offers loaners to service work, they might not give you a loaner or you will be at the bottom of the loaner list. Continental Audi is very good and very nice, unfortunately they didn't offer me the lowest deal. I'd say also check out Laurel Audi at Westmont. People had said good things about them too.

About the chip, yeah you can pull the potato chip out and put the stock one in for service. However the onboard computer will log all the boost pressure levels and since the chipped pressure will be higher than the stock boost, and the computer will log it and when the dealer reads it on his diagnosis computer, he will know you chipped yours even you got the stock chip in. You can combat that by buying a VAG-COM tool and erase all those memories. Actually some potato chip manufacturers offer a dual module that you can flick a switch and the dealer tool will think it's just a stock chip, unless the dealer took the time and take the chip cover off and look at the board itself.

Billy
    Some will say it's necessary, some will say it's not. It was on my options list but after seriously thinking about it, I think with Quattro I can handle the traction by myself with the help of standard EDL (Electronic Differential Lock). However, if I ordered the car (I picked mine from the dealer's lot), I might get it.....with XENONS.....arrrrghhhh I want 'em.

Oh by the way, if you go to Schaumburg Audi, ask for Mike Burden.....I had somebody before I sat down with Mike and that somebody was HORRIBLE.....I almost walked away feeling mistreated until Mike told me he can give me a good deal, which he did.

Again, if you are thinking to order the 2001.5 ones, they cannot be ordered now. You MIGHT be able to change dealer's allocations though. They are taking 2002 orders though. So snatch one if you like the 2001.5 one more than the 2002.

Billy
    Discussions about ESP and quattro vs EDL and quattro, miss the point of this incredible technology.

ESP (in terms of prevalance) is at the same point as ABS was in 1987 and 1988 (my 1987 5000 CS turbo quattro was my first car with ABS -- now it is practically universal). And, for those who then knew about ABS and who wrote about ABS it was a must-have feature virtually a no-brainer.

ESP with quattro and for the 2002 A4's ESP with brake assist with quattro is another tool in the arsenal against the elements of rain, sleet, snow and ice. Sure quattro helps in these lowered coefficient of friction situations, no doubt. And ABS with quattro is a big improvement in the war against spin outs (oversteer situations -- especially on slick surfaces); but quattro and ABS are not much help against understeer, which on Audis is the "normal" out of control situation as they are both nose heavy and "tuned" for understeer (which is generally considered the more benign of the two steering conditions: oversteer / understeer).

ESP is amazing, fantastic and most importantly could save your life. In addition to its advantages on slick surfaces, it also has the capability, on dry pavement, at speeds that most would consider ludicrous (as in "make the jump to ludicrous speed") of getting you out of a jam.

It is so fantastic because it "figures out" which wheel or combination of wheels require braking -- it is as if there are four brake pedals that can be applied to assist the car around a corner during either oversteer or understeer. You can't do what it does.

Those who do take their cars to the track or the race course should also know that ESP's less desirable effects can be dismissed under these controlled circumstances with the flick of a switch -- so far ESP CAN BE turned off. And, unlike ABS on Audis which used to have an on off switch, it is likely that ESP will remain driver selectable since it can reduce engine power.

The less disirable effect mentioned above is that ESP virtually eliminates the car's ability to do a power slide or steer by throttle since ESP will virtually eliminate oversteer and then, if you persist, it will cut power to further prevent tail happiness -- heck with ESP turned on, you can't even "do donughts" in a totally safe, newly snow covered parking lot.

But the point is made in such a parking lot -- try a 360 with ESP on, then with ESP off. You will become a believer.
    Continental Audi...ask for Bill Mamrott...great people and easy dealings..almost NO negotiation. Easiest car dealer I have ever done...Laukd0g..I wish I could have made it yesterday(KK) the parents showed up and could not make it :-(
    Hehe.....bring the parents too :>

We should be having a BBQ on Jun 16.....hunting down a place that we can do that with a big lot that we can park our cars.....you know of any?? We were thinking of the forest reserve in Arlington Heights Rd and Higgins.....

I just luv that auto lock & unlock feature.....it not only locks your car at 10mph, after you kill your car and you pull your key out, it actually remembers which doors were not locked prior to the auto locking sequence and unlock them for ya :> Just luv that.....and now I can play it cool and close the windows with the remote while on other cars you need to use your key :> (Scirocco, that's why I did it, LOL)

Billy
    Thanks for the tip. I'll go talk to Bill. Where is Continental Audi? How much did you pay over invoice?

He markcincinatti, thanks. You're right I was missing the point. It is another tool against the elements and not just another amenity.
  • varigvarig Member Posts: 99
    Thanks for the responses to my earlier posting.
    I went to the nearest Subaru dealership today to see and drive the WRX, unfortunately, they did not have a WRX on the lot. I will probably have to go to a larger dealership in a nearby city if I want to test drive a WRX. I'd like to know if any current Audi owners have driven the WRX and how do they compare it with the Audi. I know the interior of the WRX will be more utilitarian than the Audi, so I am more interested in driving/handling. This may sound like a dumb question, but does the extra HP of the WRX , ( 227 vs 170), make a discernable difference in a primarily urban area. My daily round trip commute is @50 miles, 50% freeway, 50% semi-rural roads. My drive does have it's share of hills and the region does have its occaisional ice/snow mix in the winter. That is one of the primary reasons that I am limiting my car choices to those with an AWD system.
    Any comments on Subaru AWD (Manual version) vs. Quattro would also be appreciated. I had read some postings on the AudiWorld website that seemed to indicate that although technologically more advanced, Quattro did not perform as well as the Viscous Coupling system in real world situations. The writer said that the back end of the Audi tended to swing out when starting from a dead stop on a snow covered hill. Would ESP have prevented that?
    I plan to use dedicated snow tires in winter regardless of the car I eventually choose. I put them on my FWD car this past winter and I will never face another winter without them.
    and the BIGGEST difference between it and my A4 (also a stick shift 1.8T) is the shifter. The A4 requires so-called "Mad Rowing" (LOL) which means pretty big arm motion when shifting when compared to the WRX.....that shifter on the WRX is so short, you can really do heel-and-toe and shift really fast.

Second thing I noticed was, the engine is LOUD. Well, louder than the turbo on the 1.8T for sure. The sound you hear in the commercial IS what you are gonna get on the real car. It sounds very sweet and it's begging you to hit the gas harder and rev the engine at a higher rpm. I went with my coworker and he made a good point ....it'd be a good leisure car for a short distance, or of course throwing it around bends and hear the turbo revving like crazy in front, but in normal day driving, sometimes you want a vehicle that's quiet inside so you can enjoy the music or even talk to your passengers. You definitely want to test drive it and see if you can take the turbo sounds day in and day out. Coworker has a souped up 300ZX twin turbo that makes 307hp at the wheels, yet it's quieter inside.

The hp definitely shows up when you stomp the gas. Oh yeah, but you got to keep the engine revving at around 4000rpm to get the max torque of 217lb-ft. Once you keep it there, oh yeah, you pass people like they're standing still.

We expected a pretty hard suspension with flat cornering, but actually the suspension is tuned such that there's significant body roll when you make the corners or switch lanes. I guess that's a shortcoming to make up for notorious american roads infested with potholes and expansion cracks. I was in Hong Kong riding in a friend's Subaru STi (the full blown version with stock 276hp but actually more than 300hp) and it corners just as flat as it's cruising on a flat road, cuz the suspension is rock solid and the roads are maintained better over there (less climate fluctuations). Of course it hurt like hell when you run over something or a hole shows up from nowhere.

The brakes on the WRX are strong and fade proof. Trust me, the saleslady wanted to kill us after the test drive because of how we threw the car around and braked like crazy. Hey, what did she expect? She should actually appreciate how we brought out the beauty of the engine.

Interior wise, no comparison, A4: 1, WRX: 0.

If you want a sunroof, forget about it. It's not available with a sunroof. If you want leather, forget about it. Of course the sport cloth seats holds you in soooo snug tight, you feel like you can't throw yourself out when you take 90 degree turns.

About the AWD systems on both cars, I am sure other guys can talk about it, or you can find valuable info on AudiWorld.

Ever thought about waiting for the STi version to come out? 50 more horses.....sweeeeeet. And that's just official figures, Japanese domestic versions got more than that.

However I must say to compare these 2 cars based on AWD is not fair. They're two totally different animals.....one is quiet yet potent, the other one is loud and racy. One is luxo, the other one is econ. One is quick, the other one is FAST. Different images, different styles. I would luv to own both and drive the A4 on weekdays, and the WRX on the weekends over at the twisty roads.

Hope that helps.

Billy
    D.J.-- I don't know, if I was in your shoes, I'd get an A4 1.8t and mod it to your liking to match the performance of the WRX. A second stage chip, some suspension modifications and a short-throw shifter would give you a car with the best of both worlds. I'm pondering doing that with my A4 but actually I'm pretty pleased with it in its stock form but as I've stated before, the only thing that bothers me a bit is the slightly excessive body roll which can be cured (hopefully) with maybe little thicker sway bars and slightly larger rims and tires. I don't regret not getting the WRX for I still think IMO that the sedan is quite *ugly* with those fender blisters that they have--especially in the front which give it the appearance of a Forester and that "quirky" looking front end with those bug-eyed headlights and huge fog lights! I'm still in love with the understated smooth looks and classic beauty of my A4 *sigh* !!

(OT) I'm still in a quandary about the Forester vs. the Outback... one day I'm leaning toward the Forester and the next day, the Outback. I like the idea that the Forester is still made in Japan. But I like the semi-rugged looks of the Outback.
    Outback looks a lot better than the Forrester, and has that V6 (does the Forrester have one?? dunno).

Oh by the way, if I were to choose between a WRX and an A4, I will pick the A4 any minute. Much better car all around, although the Audi may cost more to fix.

Billy
    Just opened my new July Road & Track -- news item in it claims that the 2002 US bound A4's will have 5 spd manuals and Tiptronic 5 spd on the quattros and multitronics avail only on the Front Wheel Drives.

This contradicts what salesperson at local dealer told me, but he did not have anything in writing -- he recalls being told that the A4 would have a 6 spd manual. This is what I drove in Germany (with a 2.5TD engine @ 180HP and stump pulling torque).

Also, the web sites are depicting an A4 Avant -- which my dealer said would not be available right away -- perhaps this much is true -- the Avant will be delayed in the US?

While someone must know, who knows who it is????
    Now you're just like the guy in the Jetta comercial! --show off!!! :P

yeah, no H6 (subies don't have V6's but rather horizontally opposed boxers) with the Forester and no manual tranny with the H6 in the Outback :((

btw, subie enthusiasts claim there's no sweeter sound than that coming from a boxer engine... maybe that's part of the reason along with the spooling turbo that makes the WRX sound so great-- mmmm, I love that sound!
    Are you sure there's no 6-speed manual??? I could have sworn that I read that the US bound 3.0's will have the 6-speed! *waaaah* (--something to do with Audi trying to fill in the gap for a missing new S4 ??) ...wait a sec, what am I crying for? --it's not like I'm going to be running out to trade my '01 for an '02, lol!

Dang, I can't find that brochure that was posted over at AW ...it had listed all the US specs, options and colors.
    Yep -- I read that the A4's would have 6spd's -- configured as they are for US customers (the US customers ONLY get the 3.0 V6 and the 1.8T for the time being, but in Europe the number of A4's/Engine options are many times what we are offered).

Then, in the July Road & Track it says 5spd manuals. Period. Now, I do not claim that I believe everything I read in these enthusiasts magazines. Who knows when or even where they got their information.

I told a German Audi employee in Ingolstadt that I had had a 1997 Audi A8 with a 5spd automatic transmission that was NOT a Tiptronic -- and he was dumbfounded. He said he was only aware of a 4 speed non-tip auto and a 5 spd tip tranny (this was in early 1997 -- I had picked up my 1997 A8 in November 1996). The point is, even within an organization of this size, the people in middle and upper management don't always know the real deal.

The Audi Factory Reps -- in Germany -- who spoke perfect English, assured me that there would be an S6 saloon with a 6 spd manual transmission in my ("our" -- the US, that is) future. What I have been led to believe at this moment is that there will be only an S6 avant with a 5spd Tiptronic available in limited quantities badged as a 2002 model.

Some "one" somewhere must know -- 'cause they're producing brochures (one would think) already for the 2002's. But finding out what content, options, prices and models is getting more difficult -- at least that has been my experience.

Let's hope that R&T is wrong and that there will indeed be -- even as an option -- a 6spd manual transmission on at least one of the new S$'s.
    I work for a major commercial printing company and we print some of the major ones a few months in advance (about a month before the magazines hit the subscription readers). I will definitely keep an eye out when I am at the divisions and peek at what they're printing. Who knows..... maybe it's the 2003 S6 brochure.....I better stop dreaming.

OOps, my bad Scirocco. Yup those are H6-3.0 engines. Boxer engines that show up in Porsches too.

Billy
    Golf...I paid 4% over invoice..but that can't be really taken into a lot of consideration considering they offered $800 more for my trade in vs. any other place. Still it was very easy and Bill will not screw around with you (email if you would like...yabs1972@aol.com)
    Laukd0g...I think you are talking about Busse woods? Just East of Woodfield? Also how did you get the Autolocking/unlocking to work? Recode at dealer. I would like to get that done..too bad my 5K service at my current pace is not until Sept. (900 miles per month average).
    Oh....I dunno the name of that forest reserve but yeah it's just east of Woodfield.

I got the auto lock/unlock done by Bryan.....he brought along his laptop, wires, cables, and the VAG-COM tool with him at the KK run.....so people who want their cars have that recode done will pull up next to his Avant, and he hooked up a cable to the diagnosis port below the steering column to the left.....ran the program, typed in a new code, and you are done. He also ran his tool to check error codes (if any) on our engines. Lucky for me, none yet. I'm sure if he comes to the next event, he will bring along his laptop and stuff so you can do that quite possibly during the barbecue. Million thanks to Bryan for that recode.

900 miles per month? Man I wish I can do that....but I got only one car and when me and my girlfriend go out we ALWAYS take my car (gotta use her Civic sometime), I'm putting on like 1,300 miles per month. Ouch.

Billy
    Thanks fdxboy for the tip. I won't have a trade-in, so we'll see what happens.

Hey Billy, don't sweat it. When I get mine I'll be putting on over 2K a month on it. I figure if I have to drive a lot, I might as well have fun doing it. Just in case, anyone have any high milage/usage stories they would like to share. I've heard Audis take milage well. Thnaks.
    Well if you don't have a trade-in, that'll be like my situation. All the dealers in Chicagoland bashed about my 96 Accord with 120k miles on it, even it's in perfect working order. I ended up selling it over at Carmax cuz they gave me the highest rate. Well at Schaumburg Audi they offered me third to the lowest trade-in values (Continental Audi and Honda of Lisle basically offered me ridiculously low buy-out for the Accord and hinted they don't want to take it) and if you don't have a trade-in, you can get a low price there. Without bargaining I was able to get $2100 off and a little back-and-forth negotiating (was trying to see where the bottom of the lake was) I got it at $2340 off the MSRP. Check with Mike Burden over there and see what he can do. Definitely shop around as dealers will have various levels of stock available on the lot.

That said, it's not a rule that Continental Audi offers low buy-out rate. Fdxboy got a good deal on his Jeep (right??) and understandably my Accord got LOTS of miles so dealers got to wholesale it rather than sell it in their lot. So yeah, shop around and good luck and let us know if you need any help.

Billy
    My 97 Wrangler was only getting $9000 from various dealers(carmax $9300) but like I said Continental gave me $9900...SOLD!!! It was in nice condition with low miles. Hey make sure you make her take the Civic now and then..I will not even go into the city with my car. We take her '97 Stratus(junk!). As far as the reprogramming goes..I will look into it. I also understnand the dealer will do a one time recode for free! So I may try that first. How many people showed up to KK on sunday? All A4 or any TT(my next car)?
    hehe our Chicago content must be scaring people away.....

Anyhow, well we drove mine even when we go into town.....and nah it won't do me any good if I say her Civic is a junk and drive hers instead :> Cuz her 97 Civic coupe is actually a pretty handsome looking coupe too.

For reprogramming, various guys commented that the dealers WON'T do the auto lock/unlock one, for fear that the locks won't be unlocked in case of an accident. People commented that's mostly BS.

For the KK run, about 12 A4/S4's (I think I'm the ONLY A4 sedan there, 3 A4 Avants, 8 S4 sedans w/3 Nogaros), 1 A6 2.7T and 1 TT225 painted in Ferrari Yellow and 19" BBS wheels (VERY sharp). The run before that was even more dramatic.....in addition to the Audi's, a Viper and a S2000 showed up. We are trying to get one of the guys's friends to bring over some Ferrari's.....we'll see what happens.

OH by the way, ALL the A4's are SILVERRRRRRR :>

Billy
    I found this web site while surfing on www.dogpile.com yesterday:

http://www.abs-education.org/

This site is dedicated to providing information about ABS and ESP (intelligent handling systems). After reading the materials, I must say that a compelling argument is made that the vehicles that should have had ESP first (assuming all can't adopt this technology at the same time) are SUV's. Of course there are very few SUV's -- and virtually no popular SUV's that have this technology.

What a shame.

After reading the materials, I believe you will be convinced that you don't want ESP, you will come to believe you NEED it!

Click on.

are less effective UNLESS they TEACH the drivers how to use them. Like ABS for example, people were not taught at driving school how to use them. People don't know they need to apply MAXIMUM pressure on the brakes. OK so there comes brake assist.

Another example. They taught us to brake when you try to reduce speeds. Fine, except they should teach people, when they try to reduce speed in a curve, they should visualize what's coming up and reduce speed, i.e. brake, BEFORE entering the curve, NOT during the curve. So there comes ESP.

My point is, getting a license here in US is WAY TOO EASY. I was born in Hong Kong and over there we need to pass various and more vigorous tests to get your driver's license. I was shocked to find that I can pass my driver's test here with 8 hours behind the wheel (no prior driving experience) and only 1 point off the 25 possible points I can lose before I can even fail the test. My then-new 96 Accord before the Audi racked up 120k miles, and it doesn't have ESP or ABS, and I went through winters in Wisconsin and Chicago and I didn't have one set of snow tires. NO accidents whatsoever. I'm not trying to say I'm a good driver. OK I must be lucky.

I have no doubt in my mind, ESP and ABS DO work. I'm just saying, even with these good tools and people being ignorant about how to use them, they will still get these freak accidents like oversteering and crash into the curve sidewall. WITH the tools and proper braking/acceleration technique (like take the gas easy if you are spinning in snow, I'm just amazed to find people ramming the gas for 10 minutes when they're stuck in snow), the roads will be one safer place.

I guess the fundamental thing is, they should teach people that driving is an event they should not be doing with things like talking on the phone (hands-free kit is useless anyway, cuz I think talking is the blame for losing concentration), eating, drinking, putting on makeup, etc. I was in England and it's an OFFENSE if you take one of your hands off the steering wheel UNLESS you are shifting. You are required to be THAT involved.

Like one German driver said, "I am comfortable doing 120mph in the Autobahn, but hell no I am not even going to drive in US."

Again, ESP and ABS should be standard WITH standard features such as half a day to a full-day of advanced driving school.

Billy
    What lauk0dg said is so true. When I took my two and a half day driving school in Germany (The Audi Driving Experience) -- they spend considerable time on teaching the students how to apply ABS brakes. While my wife and I knew how to apply ABS brakes, it was absolutely scary how many in a class of 30 were way beyond clueless. And, TV news shows -- LOCAL TV news shows -- every winter attempt to Instruct Cincinnati's driving population how to drive on slippery surfaces. Guess what? They tell drivers to "pump" the brake pedal to help maintain control of the vehicle's steering. Well, the piece is 3 minutes long, and in the last 15 seconds they say, "PS the preceding doesn't apply to cars with ABS brakes." But they don't tell what does apply.

Ask several people every day if they have ABS and how they apply them or how they would apply them on a low traction surface. Three out of four say "apply the brake until the ABS 'chatter' kicks in and then release slightly." My ABS instructor told me to "pretend I was Bruce Lee -- and hit both the clutch and the brake quickly and as hard as my legs could push." Then, with Brake Assist, the instructor says additional brake boost will only be provided if the brake pedal is pressed very quickly. If you are already braking and press something less than in a panic mode, the Bruce Lee comment still applies -- i.e., more pressure is better. Yet this is never told to American drivers (or perhaps a better word would be seldom told).

The ABS education web site goes into detail on all of this -- hopefully the site is popular.

It does not claim that ESP is a substitute for good driving by the way!
    "Just beat the heck out of the gas and clutch pedals." LOL.....just make sure you found the correct pedals and not the gas pedal :>

By the way Mark, how much is that Audi Experience thingy again? Price inclusive of hotel, meals and instruction? How many days was that from start to finish? And how many days of instruction and driving? 2.5 days?? YOu mentioned that in a post long time ago and I just forgot. I remember though you need to buy the plane tix there (not included in packge) which shouldn't be too much in the winter months. Do you call up AoA to add your name to the waiting list?? Or you need to sign up at the dealerships?? I really really really wanna go, it's time to save up I guess :> Thanks in advance.

Billy
    The cost is always the same and is always in DM -- 2000. At this point Universal Currency Converter™ Results
    2,000.00 DEM = 868.19 USD
    Germany Deutsche Marks United States Dollars.

Airfare is not included, and you will need one not paid for night in a hotel ($250 approximately) in Munich if you are coming from North or South America. The "best way to do this, IMO" is to fly to Munich on the Friday before the school (which means you arrive in Munich on Saturday morning); spend Saturday evening (after your anti-jet-lag nap) enjoying Munich's fantastic dining establishiments. Sunday take the "three hour bus tour" of Munich (if you've never been to Munich, that is), enjoy some more great food and drink and spend the evening with your fellow American drivers -- who like you, MUST BE MEMBERS OF THE QUATTRO CLUB OF AMERICA. This is a condition of going on this trip, BTW -- membership in this club is $40.00.

The school is Mon - Wed and you must leave the hotel in Seefeld Austria by Noon on Thursday. (You are a 5 hour train ride away from Venice, BTW and there is a non-stop from Venice to JFK on Delta). All meals including alcohol are covered as are your acomodations (which are always 5 star and spectacular). The Audi "events" are 2 and one half days -- two days of driving plus classroom experience (lecture), safety training, and a private tour of the Audi factory in Ingolstadt, time in the Audi Executive dining room (for lunch with Audi English speaking VP's) and a visit to the Audi Retail Accessories Store (and the Audi museum, which is way cool). Evenings are filled with sleigh rides, great meals, special events and all is paid for in the above amount.

My wife and I have each been twice to the school and are signed up for 2003 again. 2002 is already closed and perhaps 2003 is for all I know. In other words sign up at least one year in advance (there is a $500 non refundable deposit required in August prior to the school).

You sign up for this via the Quattro Club of America, not Audi, not any dealer. And, as mentioned above, you must be a member of the Quattro Club of America (www.quattroclubusa.org).

Send me an e-mail if you want more details -- mfullerton@infoalt.com.

This trip could save your life and it is great fun!
    especially all those activities are INCLUDED in that DM2000.....just the driving experience and the prilgrimage to the Ingolstadt plant are worth the money paid. Definitely will check it out over at QuattroClubUSA and become a member there.....it's funny though I got that application form from the glove box in the car when it's delivered.....I was like, wow, is this official or what.....it's not, right? Interesting AoA would let them put an application form in the car.

5 hours from Venice.....mmmmm my girlfriend is always talking about going to Italy and maybe I can get her to go to this event too :>

Thanks Mark....I'll email you if I got anymore questions.....like what dinner you and your wife ate the 2nd night you were there, just kidding.

Billy
    Audi of America did, for a time, put the Quattro Club of America's magazine and application to join in the glove boxes of all Audi quattros -- my wife's 2001 TT had one, my 2001 A6 4.2 did not.

They are a not for profit organization and they are worth every penny of the $40.00.

I have been to Munich so many times, I can tell you the places to dine -- ditto Venice.

My wife and I went to Europe 6 times in 2000 and have already been there twice this year including the Audi Driving School, we're off to Amsterdam, Venice and Paris over an 8 day Fourth of July trip commencing June 29th. Anyway, we would be glad to give you some travel tips -- Europe is a blast, and Germany and Italy are amongst the best of the best places to visit, both because they love Americans (and we love them) and because the food and fun is so great!
    Actually I've been to Europe for 5 times.....3 times to UK, twice to France and been to Denmark, Netherlands and Switzerland (which so far is the best). I wouldn't mind at all to check out Germany, Austria and Italy, although I think Europe is too gloomy in the winter, but good to drive around in a Quattro-equipped car :>

Speaking of which, do they let participants to take a companion?? You guessed it, girlfriend is interested to come along but won't be participating in the driving. Do they give each of the participant a hotel room, or they pair up participants to share a hotel room (hope not, LOL cuz I might talk cars with my fellow participant all nite long)?? Thanks for the info.

Billy
    Lauk, Mike kicks a**. I walked into Schaumberg, didn't know who he was and I started asking questions. He hands me his card and I say, "hey I've heard of you..." We both got a good laugh at that one. They have the one on the lot that I want: black, 1.8TQ, man., sport., cold, cel. pkg., Bose. He made it sound like I could get it or any other color for about $28K. He's definately a no nonsense guy. Thanks. btw, I drove the 1.8 for the first time today. Plenty of zip in that engine. I was grinning from ear to ear through every corner. I can't imagine it with 205hp and 250ft/lbs torque. (Wetterauer $500 stage 1 upgrade.)
  • bast2bast2 Member Posts: 52
    YeeeeHawwww...school's out, wife's done with work. Ya know what that means, don't ya? 'Ol JB actually gets to drive the A4 once and a while! FINALLY!

Well, actually had it at the office yesterday. Came across my first glitch with the car, or perhaps my own lack of understanding. Figured you guys could help with this one. Here goes.

Did some running around over lunch, came back and parked in the lot. It was hot and sunny so figured I'd crack the windows and roof. Got out and locked. Horn sounded, all was fine.

10 min. later, guy in the next office comes in and tells me my alarm is going off. I go out to the car, lights were just flashing, horn was off. I hit unlock then lock and go back in. 10 min. later I get word that it was happening again. So I go out and do the same. This time, after locking it again I rocked the car a little and stuck my hand in the cracked windows to try and set it off...nothing happened. Then, as I sat there and waited for a minute, the alarm just suddenly triggered. I could find no reason for it.

I unlocked the car, climbed in and shut all the windows and the roof. Got out and hit the lock button on the keychain. Problem solved.

Is this right? You can't have the windows cracked AND lock the car without the alarm sounding? Kind of weird if this is the case. Just wondering if anybody had any insights.

Thanks in advance for any help,

JB

P.S. God I love this car!
    Billy,

Yes you can take a companion -- and no they do not make you bunk with someone. If you and your girlfriend are together, you will stay in the same room -- but the cost for her to stay makes it crazy for her not to drive. What would she do anyway while you were gone from 8 am to 4:30 PM? The town that the event is held in is called Seefeld, Austria -- and there is nothing to do there (even the shopping, other than for skiing clothes, is weak) and it is too far from any city except Innsbruck (which is pretty small, too) to take a day trip, unless you plan on spending big bucks (she could rent a guide, and a car and get a tour of the romantic road and Neuschwanstein -- but that would cost at least $125 and take all day). Unless your girlfriend does not drive a car, or never plans to drive a car, she should take the driving school and you two should NOT partner -- it just doesn't work out.

What I am saying is that if you go "alone" you get your own room -- if you have a guest in your room you will pay for her to stay, and the cost of her staying with you is about $450 USD -- for another $400 she gets to take the driving school, which as I said is fun and could save your (and her) life someday. Either go alone or "make her drive" -- most of the spouses who drove, did so at first reluctantly, at the end of the first day they were really excited and soooo glad they took the school.

Now, if your girlfriend likes to watch CNN or German only TV all day long while you are driving, I guess you could offer this to her. But you will be so pumped up from the driving school that she will feel left out if she doesn't participate. The only reason not to take the school is if she, for some reason, is not and will not EVER drive a car (Audi or not).

And Germany and Venice in the winter --- shhhhh, don't tell anyone, is the best time to go. Absolutely breathtakingly beautiful, less crowded -- and you can do everything "first class" for the price of coach. And, everything in Venice is on Saldi (sale) up to 70% off, just for walking in the store. Even the best hotels in Venice are at "bargain" rates, but not bargain treatment. Austria in January is what winter in heaven must look like. It is so beautiful and pristine and, in Seefeld, so bucolic.
    Golfhound, you are welcome. I got the same thing as what you said without the Sports pkg (1.8TQ Manual, Silver, Convenience, Bose, Cold Weather) for $26.7k plus tax and othre stuff. Let's see though, you won't get the metallic option if you choose black, so looks like you can go further downwards with $28k. Good starting point though. Glad it works out for ya. Oh, if you got a chance, see what tires are on those 17" rims....if they're Bridgestone Potenzas, try to switch them for Michelin Pilots (best) or Pirelli P6000's. The "Blow"tenzas tend to bubble up on the sidewalls. Also check with him on how service / loaner cars go cuz I would like to know his answer to that question. Definitely shop around for more and check with Laurel Audi and Continental Audi as I heard various good comments about them. Good luck!!

JB, that problem sounds like a common problem with AudiWorlders too. People have mentioned various ways of how the alarm works, ultrasonic, motion sensor, pressure sensor, etc. So far I think the group with the ultrasonic theory presented the best arguments, that's why it won't trigger itself if you stick your arm or fingers into the sunroof crack but a sound/note (might be low frequency enough we can't hear it but the sensor can "hear" it) can trigger it. You know, I don't mean to be sarcastic but I would rather want my car's alarm to be as sensitive as yours. I can stick my whole body in there, open all the windows (incl sunroof), shout inside the car while the car is armed and still the alarm won't come off. I have tilted the sunroof and armed the car and gone into the grocery store shopping and come out 45 minutes later and the car won't hum a thing. I think next time when I go into the dealer I will tell them to raise the sensitivity a little bit but not as much as in your car, and I guess you can do the same thing with yours at the dealer?? Call the service dept up and see what they said :>

Billy
    Very true.....well she's like, "oh I am not into driving as you do and I don't drive an Audi". If the price difference is only $400, oh yeah she got to do it. So weather in Italy in the winter months are not as cloudy and drizzling and cold as, let's say Denmark or UK? Well I guess Italy is a lot more to the south so weather is nicer there in the winter months. One thing for sure, plane tickets are much cheaper then. Thanks for all the useful info and I'll email ya if I got more, in case we bored those other guys to death =>

Hehe maybe after she's back she will go straight to the Audi dealership and get herself an Audi :> An S3/A3 maybe? LOL.

Billy
  • bsnoopy7bsnoopy7 Member Posts: 1
    I have had my Audi A4 2.8 quattro for almost 4 years now. Up to this point, I loved the car. A few months after the warranty was up, I complained to the dealer that something was wrong with my oil as the oil warning light came on. It was diagnosed at the time as needing a new valve cover gasket which was relatively inexpensive. Since that time, I have had the oil warning light come on here and there but was told by the dealer nothing was really wrong. I have had the car religiously serviced all by the dealer since day one. About one week ago, the battery died and for the first time I took it to a local shop for convenience. The shop took the opportunity to look over my car and told me there is an oil leak all over my engine. I took it to the dealer and they diagnosed it as needing new rear cam seals in the engine, a $1,300 job. Needless to say I am not happy about this and appealed to Audi as the manufacturer who turned my claim down based on the fact that my warranty expired. Just wondering if anyone has had a similar problem with their engine. I am so thoroughly disappointed in the dealer and Audi as I have done everything to maintain this vehicle from the start and really think this type of repair is not common. Can anyone help?
    Man I feel for you. Doesn't it always seem that your major problems always occur a week after your warranty expires. I am not mechanic but you may be S.O.L. AoA is very difficult to deal with. I would suggest going to www.audiworld.com go onto the A4 fourm and make the same post. Those guys are like having another mechanic.
    While I love my A4 I will get rid of it when my 4/50K warranty is up. No way in hell am I going to give myself a heartattack when I have my first problem ( I think Audi charges something like $80 for just a simple oil change?!?!?)
  • JBaumgartJBaumgart Member Posts: 890
    My 2.8Q is about 3 1/2 years old and the only thing it's needed besides oil changes is new front brake pads, which the dealer agreed to replace free even though my warranty had just expired. Just before this they had given the car it's last scheduled maintenance servicing and their brake check had not diagnosed this, but a local tire place noticed that they were worn about a month later when I was having them do my winter/summer tire & wheel changeover. But so far the engine and the rest of the car have been troublefree. I have had the dealer perform extra oil changes, and so far I've maintained a 2,500 oil change interval using only Mobil 1 5W-30, hoping that this prolongs the life of the engine. So far I haven't had to add any oil in between these changes. I do feel somewhat vulnerable being out of warranty, but I figure that an occasional repair is still a lot cheaper than the cost of owning a new one ($1,300 = about 3 lease payments).

Good luck.

'98.5 A4 2.8Q w/sport
    '01 allroad
    I guess I'll also keep an eye on the frequency of service needs.....if it's way too much i'll do the same thing as fdxboy will do and get rid of it at 4yr/50k although I know it'll be a very sad moment.

Sorry to hear your situation bsnoopy.....definitely ask those folks at AudiWorld what to do.....and to get some momentum going cuz some dealerships and AoA must be reading AudiWorld too (the NASA blown turbo situation over in the S4 forum). Another incident: One unfortunate guy got his A4 stolen at the dealership while servicing.....at first his service manager wasn't giving him a good reason and declined responsibility but later the A4 owner posted in AudiWorld and tons of emails sent by fellow AudiWorlders forced the dealership to treat him a lot better. Hope that may apply to you.

Billy
    I think that stolen car thing was kinda funny (ok maybe not if it happened to me) but I guess everybody sending the dealership emails got some results.
    Baumgart, Uh, don't you think that you are doing a little overkill on the oil changes? Every 2500 miles with synthetic? Even the most die hare AW will tell you that 5000 should be the minimum otherwise you are wasting money. I am also surprised that Audi replaced you pads on the breaks. I hear that they can't wait for the warranty to end so they can charge you up the nose for repairs.
  • JBaumgartJBaumgart Member Posts: 890
    Yeah, maybe every 2,500 miles is playing it a little safe, but we put less than 10,000 miles a year on the car, so it works out to about an oil change every 3-4 months. Most of our driving is also stop and go in the city and on our congested freeways here, plus we get wild temperature swings that go from -30 to 100 during the year. All of these conditions make more frequent oil/filter changes advisable; it's just a question of how frequent. I buy Mobil 1 at Sam's Club and bring it to the dealer, who charges about $20 including the $10 Audi filter. So it's really not that expensive and I like the fact that the car has seen nothing but clean oil. The body is also perfect and I hope to keep the car a minimum of 10 years. If I was leasing the car or only planning to keep it 3-6 years I'd stick to the factory-recommended schedule for sure.