Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Odyssey GPS Navigation System

csadecsade Member Posts: 6
I saw alot of questions in the regular Odyssey
forum about navigational systems, and thought it
would be a good idea for those with NAV systems to
post setup, and other technical information.

Enjoy the ride !!

Comments

• jimblockjimblock Member Posts: 62
    The Navigation system does not provide a traditional trip computer. It is apparently not linked to the fuel gage, odometer, etc. so it doesn't have the necessary information.

It DOES estimate time until arrive when you have entered a destination, and it updates the information as you drive. This is done by calculated distance, and updated locations and speed estimate from gyroscopic sensor. However, the estimated arrival seems to assume you don't exceed 60 MPH (even if you have been going faster).

It does have a database that includes gas station locations (and Honda service, and much more) although it is certainly not complete.
  • dcrislerdcrisler Member Posts: 118
    I finally found this topic, I saw mention of it somewheres but was between offices and such and lost it... in any case when I get more info on the lack of some info from the map database people I will post it here.
  • jefe5jefe5 Member Posts: 14
    I ordered one and I don't know anything about it's features, I have no info at all. Did I screw up? I did it to talk my wife out of another T&C. So even if it is useless, it was worth it....
  • guitarzanguitarzan Member Posts: 873
    Jefe5, you ordered an Odyssey, or the nav system?

If you're talking about the whole vehicle, well, check out its description under "new trucks" at the bottom of the page.

guitarzan
    Community Leader/Vans Conference
    I have ordered the vehicle and I ordered it with the nav system. I know about the vehicle, but am dieing for info on the nav system.
  • guitarzanguitarzan Member Posts: 873
    OK guys, fill him in with your vast knowledge!

Jefe5, sometimes it is easier to start with questions. Have you thought up any specific q's that could help spurn some response?

guitarzan
    Community Leader/Vans Conference
  • csadecsade Member Posts: 6
    I thought this would be a good topic for folks with the nav system to exchange ideas. Maybe everyone's learning as you go or (gasp!) reading the owners manual..
    Does the nav system talk? Does it say turn left at the next intersection? Does it say prepare for a left exit from the freeway?
  • andrews7andrews7 Member Posts: 7
    The nav system does talk. A computerized female voice tells you when to turn, right or left lane for freeway exits, distance until you reach the exit, etc.. This happens in conjunction with the display showing a "zoomed" in map of the exit you are to take with your destination highlighted in blue. We have experimented with purposely making wrong turns and the computer will attempt to direct you back to your predetermined route. We will give the nav system a real test in two weeks when we travel to Chicago. So far my wife and I love it!
    Dhyams has compiled an excellent Honda Odyssey FAQ page at http://www.ebicom.net/~dhyams/odyssey.html
    The section on the NAV answers a number of general questions about the Navigation system, and you might want to read it.
  • gmcafeegmcafee Member Posts: 11
    I know from experience with PC-based software that roads and destinations can become outdated faster than one might think. Will there be updates available to the NAV database, and if so, will they be free? Has anybody asked about this yet?
    I haven't heard anything about the Odyssey database, but the Acura system (basically the same) offers annual updates, allegedly free the first three years and about $60 thereafter. Of course, that was for CD-ROM updates; possibly DVD updates will vary.

There is also the potential for add-on updates -- I would be willing to pay for updates containing detailed information for places not included in the standard DVD. However, this is just a wish -- I haven't heard anything suggesting this from Honda or NaviTech.
  • pkrbkrpkrbkr Member Posts: 6
    According to the Nav manual, new updates will be available in the fall of each succeeding year. I suppose this coincides with new vehicle model introductions. That will provide those buyers with the latest information. No mention was made as to whether there would be a charge for the updated DVD. I can't imagine that it will be very expensive and all you need to do is pop it in. Could be wrong though.
    I had read that also... I am hoping that since my version appears to be last years... that we will get a free update this "fall"!
  • ginglegingle Member Posts: 1
    Just back from picking up my ody/nav. The nav sys worked perfect from reno nv right to my front door in ocean beach ca

i love it
    You can make the clock display in large digits when not using the Nav?
    Press on the time while at the shutdown screen.
  • md5033md5033 Member Posts: 8
    Thanks!

A great tip! The clock is actually visible now.
    delete an entry in the previous destinations list? It is easy from the todays destinations, but impossible from previous one...
    I'm away from the Odyssey and manual so my memory could be wrong, but I thought there was an entry on the setup screen for PREVIOUS DESTINATION and I had assumed that would let you edit (delete) entries.

Apologies in advance if my memory is bad ... I haven't tried deleting previous entries.
    well that was enough of a hint to find it in the manual...(pp61)
    from 1st setup screen
    press previous
    then follow the instructions to delete any of the addresses on the list or all of them!
    Thanks,
    David.

Also in the other topic, someone had trouble setting up the pin for the use personal addresses list... the 1st time you try it, you have to enter done with no numbers i.e. there is no pin yet so don't try and enter one... (pp 52 in the nav book)
  • e173me173m Member Posts: 5
    Does anyone know the size of the NAV screen and weather it is an active matrix display or not.
  • pkrbkrpkrbkr Member Posts: 6
    I had trouble setting up the pin number. When I followed the instruction to press DONE I got a "pin number error" or something to that effect. I finally entered the anti-theft "CODE" number for both user 1 and user 2 and that solved the problem. Try it.

I too have tried to delete previous destinations. I think you just enter new ones and the old ones eventually go away because the system will hold just so many.
    Well I will try the pin number thing... but the poster above that expalined how to delete the previous entries was correct, hit setup then previous then scroll through the entries and touch each one to delete. fast and easy.
    nav screen, maybe 3.5 x 5? but it is not lcd... at least it does not look it, or have the problems with looking at it from an angle... it is very bright and viewable from any angle, side to side or high or low.
    Again, I'm at work, so I don't have the manual, but the screen certainly looks like an active matrix LCD screen. It is very good display, well-backlit, visibile even in sunlight.
    if it is an lcd... it is the best I have ever seen, with absolutly no degradation when viewing from the sides... Although from the application and size contraints... I would have thought it to be an lcd... but it does not look like one or behave like one... i.e. when I touch my laptop display... the colors shift around the point I touch, this does not happen on the nav. It does feel a little like the lcd display, but that is the touch membrane ... (if I ever find a reason to pull off the dash panel I will know.)
  • triftrif Member Posts: 4
    Since the NAV system already has a satellite receiver, the next step up is a continuously updating map database streamed from a satellite. It would be paid for by advertisers who want their establishment beamed to every customer with a NAV system, the NAV software would be smart enough to figure out to store the highest possible detail for the area you happen to be driving in and delete detail in areas you aren't.

Any guesses on when a NAV system will feature in the first criminal trial? "Where were you on the night of October 3rd?" "I was at home all night." dramatic pause "Not according to the NAV system in your CSS '02 Ody EX-NAV you weren't!" "Rats, I forgot about that."
  • jadams2jadams2 Member Posts: 5
    I'm almost positive this wouldn't work but does anyone know what would happen if you put another DVD disk in the player. Like a movie disk. We asked the dealer and he didn't know.
    since the system knows the database is not avail. i.e. I removed the dvd and the system blanked and then said the database was unavail. ... It would seem it has an operating system of sorts, that is waiting to find the database and continue startup and initialization...
  • dhaxtondhaxton Member Posts: 16
    I suspect what they did with the display is put a fairly thick layer of glass between the touch sensitive layer and the LCD layer. Normal LCD panels don't need this extra weight and expense because being touched/pressed is not their normal mode of operation. I think the colors change on regular LCD panels because the crystal carrying liquid is being compressed.
    but it still does not suffer from the usual off angle viewing problems that lcd's exhibit.
  • abid1abid1 Member Posts: 2
    Is the Nav system the same as in Acura TL 3.2 2000 model, finger prints/marks free?
    Can you add a Cassette tape player in addition to the standard CD player(which comes with EX model), since Nav screen takes some space on the dash board?
  • md5033md5033 Member Posts: 8
    I believe that the NAV in the Odyssey and the TL is the same. They both are based on one (1) DVD disk database. There is only one radio slot below the NAV on the dash, therefore you can not add the additional tapedeck to the AM/FM/CD standard radio. Only choice is to remove the radio and install one of your choosing, or find an LX owner to trade radios and install the CD Changer under the drivers seat.

David
    1) I looked at the screen carefully over the weekend, and I'm practically sure it is an active matrix LCD under a firm touch screen. It doesn't exhibit "off-angle" because you really can't view it off angle -- it is recessed into the dash. (My opinion, only, of course).

2) As much as I also wish it, the system can't play DVD movies. Even if the operating system let it try, it doesn't have MPEG-2 decoding needed to play them. (No reason for a mapping system to have it, and it would add to cost.)
    [It is also illegal to have video displayed in front seat of car in many states.]

3) Satellite updates -- nice idea, but would require an additional receiver, of a different type. The NAV is a GPS system which means it can receive position information only from GPS satellites. It is not a satellite receiver like a TV dish receiver, and GPS satellites do not transmit extra (map) data.

4) Use in criminal investigation, etc. While the system does track previous destinations, I doubt sincerely that it tracks location otherwise. And there is no indication that it records time or date.

5) Many posts ago some in the general Honda Odyssey list speculated on tracking location of a van because of GPS -- not possible as far as I know -- the GPS system receives only -- unlike a cell phone it does not send anything that can be tracked.
    The comment made about cell phones is not correct. It IS possible to locate a cell phone based upon it's connection to the home system (or connected cell tower). I think the possibility exists for GPS receivers to be tracked (maybe the gov't does it for their planes already). One thing to think of is the GPS broadcast is for your position only. It appears easy to track in on the nav systems receiver.

One thing to think of: a nav system is unique to the vehicle, not like a radio that broadcasts the same signal to thousands of receivers.
    Cell phones are tracked by their transmitters... and as far as I know that only gives the current "CELL" that the phone is located in... gps systems have no transmitter! How would it be possible to track them?
    And yes Goverment planes have transmitters that can identify the location of the plane... but they had it long before gps... any pilot out there can explain it. As to our previous lcd thread... yes I agree it has to be lcd... and the thick glass theory explains alot... however it is still the best one I have seen!
  • timothyadavistimothyadavis Member Posts: 322
    E911 (the 'E' is for "Enhanced") has a critical concern with where calls are originating. From support work I used to do for E911, I know a little about the cell-phone-locating problem. The "cells" (antennas or antennae for you scholars) are generally set up with overlapping coverage areas so that any given radio exchange from a specific cell phone is usually "heard" by several cell antennas. However, only the antenna with the "best" signal responds and opens the transmission (the signal can also get "handed off" to the next antenna as you move). At the very least, that responding antenna can be identified so that the location of the cell phone must be somewhere in the 'V'-shaped area covered by that antenna (they use directional antennas with groups to cover up to 360 degrees from each cell site). If at least three widely-spaced antennas "hear" the signal then it is possible to locate the cell phone fairly accurately by triangulation.

For E911 purposes, Congress has mandated that the first phase (transmitting the one specific "cell" tower handling the call to E911 Emergency Response Providers along with the call itself) be in place by 2000 (I think). The second phase requires the triangulated location to be sent with the call by 2006 (I think). So, this problem is being addressed for cell phones, but it is an unwanted expense to the providers in capturing, processing and transmitting the information with the E911 calls.

However, I think dcrisler is also correct in that there is no "sent" signal from the Nav system as it is only a receiver (everything necessary is sent from the satellite(s)). In addition, even if the Nav system did send a signal, it would be a costly proposition to track and process each one; I really doubt that our government (who has built and maintains the satellites) has taken that on (Big Brother fears notwithstanding).

I work with databases all the time. While there is certainly a lot more information available and collectible on each of us than we may like, it tends to be information with Social Security Number as the key. Without that clear and unique key, it is nearly impossible to match up and collect the information together in any meaningful way. The volumes of data become so immense so quickly that the expense and the error rates are enormous; so I think it happens far less than our paranoia might indicate.
    This discussion is interesting, although perhaps getting off topic.

Having read the last couple of messages twice, I still am not sure I'm understanding what each poster is saying. However, I *THINK* that I agree with dcrisler and disagree with csade.

What I was trying to say in my last post (although obviously not clearly) was that cell phones can be located (in theory -- not every system has yet implemented E911) because they do transmit;
    GPS receivers cannot be located because they do NOT transmit (unless some other transmitter is added to the device). The GPS system consists of satellites that transmit, and a receivers (like the one in the Odyssey) that receive signals from multiple satellite transmitters and compute location from that.

I also speculated (I really don't know) that no database of where you have been is kept in the system. It would take storage, which is limited in the Navigation system.
    Yes, yes and yes. Sorry for the loooonnnngggg off topic cell-phone/E911 post. You captured it in a nutshell: no Nav system transmitter, receive-only, no where-you've-been database.

That last is from the assumption that anything beyond the entered destination points would result in a huge amount of data in short order -- even if the "granularity" of the way-points stored was big. Sorry, getting off again and I don't even plan on getting a Nav. Never mind.... ;-)
    timothyadavis... what a small world... my last offsite contract(out of state) placed me at a regional PCS startup called Primeco, (Unix, Winnt40, & windows pc networking support & US West's Cell developement tools and informix databases...) and before that I spent years in the mini/main frame support arena with E911 customers...
  • triftrif Member Posts: 4
    I wuz just trying to start a little fun.

Yes, GPS systems don't transmit, and therefore can't be tracked. Yes, the Odyssey system doesn't keep track of its whereabouts. My hypothetical question was very generalized, and I was just musing on when (3 years from now or 30 years?) a NAV system in a car would figure in the first criminal case.

Also consider that if you get a constantly streamed updating map database (wouldn't it be cool if your NAV system knew where road work was going on and could route you around it?) you don't need to keep data on the whole country, only data that is within range of your car during the repeat cycle of the satellite. GPS receivers don't use a dish or other large reception device because the bandwidth the signal required is very small. Low bandwidth plus digital signal gets you a small receiver. *Someday* static databases will be yesterday's technology, how we get to dynamically updating databases is just fun to speculate on.
    trif... however the size of the antenna is related to the "frequency" used and not a bandwidth constraint.... The higher the frequency the shorter the wavelength and smaller the antenna. But yes I agree with you regarding the future... and with a litle standardization the routing around obstructions could happen today... almost all airports/ have an am radio based info channel... this could be used by the gps to key on certain frequencys and cause it to start recalculating the route.... ah the future...
    In case you are interested, Alpine, who makes the Odyssey Navigation system, recently put out a press release about their new after market DVD-based navigation system. It sounds similar to the Odyssey system -- it has some extra features (like connection to cell phone for dialing), but does not seem to offer a touch screen (it has a remote control, though).

The text follows: (somewhat long)

Alpine Launches First Aftermarket DVD-Based Navigation System In North America

The DVD PowerNav System Offers Unprecedented Computing Speed and Continuous Coverage on One Disc; Raises Benchmark for In-Vehicle Navigation Systems

TORRANCE, Calif., Oct. 6 /PRNewswire/ -- Alpine Electronics, the industry-leading manufacturer of high-performance mobile electronics, today announced the launch of the first aftermarket DVD-based Navigation and Information System. Alpine is the global leader in mobile navigation systems, with more than seven generations of product development and nine years marketing experience in the Japanese and European markets.

Alpine is the first manufacturer to expand the North American navigation business into a two-media product strategy. With both CD-ROM and DVD-ROM-based navigation technologies in the marketplace, Alpine is the first company to offer consumers a choice of systems that now defines a category of product in North America.

Similar to Alpine's award-winning CD-ROM based navigation system, the new NVE-N851A DVD PowerNav System is the most advanced in-vehicle, Global Positioning Satellite (GPS) linked computer available in North America. The DVD PowerNav system offers the same door-to-door route guidance system that allows drivers to be safer and more efficient on the road. Because of the data capacity on a DVD-ROM, Alpine is able to offer this coverage for the entire continental U.S., as well as the greater Vancouver and Toronto areas, on a single disc.

The biggest advancement of the DVD-ROM platform is the software's operational speed. DVD-based navigation dramatically increases the speed-of- route calculation and off-route recalculations, making the system far more responsive in a vehicle. The DVD system operational speed is ten times faster than other navigation systems on the market. It also incorporates an embedded CD Audio technology that delivers enhanced voice guidance, including specific freeway entrance/exit names; 16:9 wide screen aspect ratio graphics; and full integration with Alpine's Mobile Mayday(TM) telematics system.

"Alpine's goal is to offer the best and most powerful mobile multimedia products to consumers," said Stephen Witt, Alpine's vice president of Brand Marketing. "As the leader in navigation product development and marketing, we are committed to delivering products that are the most technically advanced yet easy to use and safe to operate in a moving vehicle. We're shifting our navigation platform to DVD to ensure we deliver the highest performance and value available to consumers. Alpine is aggressively pursuing ways to advance navigation technology and get more drivers to realize the time savings and safety benefits a navigation system can yield."

The new navigation system builds on the positioning accuracy of the CD-ROM based NVA-N751AS model by gathering information from three sources to accurately display the vehicle on the map. The DVD-ROM system's GPS receiver, speed sensor and electronic gyro work in unison to provide precise vehicle positioning for accurate announcements of voice instructions.

The new system utilizes a new Alpine DVD mechanism that reads a single-sided dual-layer DVD-ROM. The dual-layer DVD-ROM stores a maximum of 8.5 Gigabytes in map data and Points of Interest (POI) information. This enables the system to cover the entire continental U.S., plus Vancouver and Toronto on one disc, eliminating the need for multiple CD-ROM changes when travelling cross-country.

The new features that are exclusive to the DVD PowerNav system are:

-- Mobile Multitasking: Allows you to search for alternate destinations or view certain Points of Interest locations -- all without interrupting your current route's voice guidance.

-- Local Point Search: Looks for points of interest surrounding the local destination.

-- Enhanced Voice Guidance: Voice prompts are announced from CD-Audio files for superior clarity and specific guidance instructions. A library of entrance/exit names and numbers are stored and announced when using freeways.

-- Way Points: Allows you to electronically mark certain places on the route to your destination, or can be used to customize the route you travel.

-- Avoid Points: Allows you to avoid certain street or areas which is useful when navigating around specific areas or highways with known heavy traffic.

-- Beep Points: Alerts you with a series of audible beeps to a specific point(s) on your drive that have been selected or want to remember.

-- GPS Satellite Status Screen: All-new screen design displays not only how many satellites are being received, but also the signal strength from each satellite -- a visual representation of their relative position with respect to your vehicle and your vehicle's current directional heading.

-- Trip Information Screen: All-new screen keeps track of important trip information such as distance driven, time elapsed for the current trip, system odometer (total number of miles driven since navigation system was first installed) and the total time the system has been used.

Version 1.0 of the DVD Smart Map Pro software includes --

-- GUI for Drivers: Alpine's exclusive "Graphic User Interface" for drivers, designed for a safe and simple user interface in a moving vehicle.

-- Destination Input by Phone Number: Entering the phone number gives you the option to call the destination, route the destination or do both simultaneously.

-- Smart Key Filtering: The easiest way to input requests through your system's 10-key remote controller. Once you start inputting a destination, it quickly offers destination options that match the words you've typed.

-- GPS Clock: Accurate GPS timing allows for calculation of precise arrival times, even across time zones.

-- Today's Plan: This feature allows you to input and list the day's destinations (up to eight), then the system calculates the most efficient travel order for all of them. No backtracking, wasted steps, or stress.

-- Map and Call: MAP allows you to confirm the destination's location on the map and view the area around it. CALL allows you to place a call to the destination with a single keystroke to the places found in the Points of Interest database or Address Book (requires optional accessories and a wireless phone).

Mapping and information for the DVD PowerNav is available on a single Alpine Smart Map Pro DVD for easy loading and future upgrades. The Smart Map Pro DVD-ROM stores thousands of pre-programmed points of interest (POI) around the U.S. and parts of Canada, and will be updated to keep up with the ever-changing road systems and locations. Alpine's DVD software incorporates the Navigation Technologies (NavTech(R)) map database and the Info USA(R) points of interest/business information database for state-of-the art precision and detail.

Alpine's DVD PowerNav System is available with a choice of three monitor options: the TME-C005AS Control Monitor, a new 4.6" LCD monitor with built-in control buttons; the TME-M750, a new 6.5" LCD monitor with large 16:9 wide screen display and video inputs for entertainment sources; or the CVA-1005, the flagship 6.5" wide screen motorized in-dash Mobile Multimedia Station for integrated audio, video, navigation and telematics, featuring 16:9 wide screen GUI for Drivers graphics for all sources.

The DVD PowerNav, model NVE-N851A, is scheduled to ship November 1, 1999 to authorized Alpine retailers and has a Suggested Retail Index (SRI) of $2000. The SRI's for the three monitors are: TME-C005AS Control Monitor at $600; TME-M750A 6.5" Wide-Screen Monitor at $800; and the CVA-1005 Mobile Multimedia Station at $1300.

About Alpine Electronics

Alpine Electronics is one of the world's leading mobile electronics companies. Alpine is the only manufacturer specializing in mobile multimedia, an integrated system approach incorporating audio, video, security, telematics and navigation products for the mobile environment. With research and development facilities in Asia, Europe and the U.S., Alpine is the global leader for in-vehicle navigation systems in Japan, North America and Europe for the after-market and for OEM factory installations. Visit Alpine's Web site at www.alpine1.com to discover the future of Mobile Multimedia or call (800) ALPINE-1 for the closest dealer.
  • jgraham48jgraham48 Member Posts: 1
    Where is the DVD drive for the Nav system located? If it is under the driver's seat, is there another place for the 6-CD Changer that I also want?
    The disc drive for the nav is located under the passenger seat. This still allows you to place the cd changer under the drivers seat. You can't install the in dash unit, or cassette, though (unless you are removing the head unit and replacing with a cassette deck).
  • abid1abid1 Member Posts: 2
    I got my 2000 white EX Nav Odyssey on Thursday 10/7/99. I love it. No problems so far. The ride is smooth, the vehicle feels very nice. I don't see any problem with the audio/speakers. The nav system is nice to have...I'm enjoying it !!
    I found a chinese restaurant that I never knew it existed so near my home thru nav system.
    One minor problem/nuisance.................To my disappointment .. the touch screen is not finger mark/impression free as I had heard it earlier from a dealer. Is there a solution to that?
    I am not missing the audio tape at all.
    Congratulations on your new NAV Odyssey. We really love ours as well. It is very good at getting us to places we've never been too -- even within 20 miles. The database has an extensive list of locations (thousands under OTHER), although it is often difficult to guess what name was used...

As far as the screen goes -- I've never found a touch screen that didn't pick up finger marks (after all there is oil naturally on fingers). I find that disposable pre-moistened eyeglass cleaning cloths -- such as "Sight Savers" from Baush & Lomb work fine -- and I can also clean my sunglasses or glasses from the same wipe. We get them at Price/Costco for about $7 for 100 of them.

Computer screen cleaners would probably work as well, but are generally more expensive.
  • lietjauwlietjauw Member Posts: 2
    Nav is a joke.
    Why pay $2,000 if you can get a portable GPS for less than $500???
    You also need mag. glasses to look at that small screen. Would recommand the nav for old people with memory loss.
    Have you seen the Nav option in person? If not you should check it out before throwing stones... I bought our Nav primarily for my wife, who could not use a handheld gps in a million years... not to mention, unless you have a newer one with base hwy maps, you have to know the long/lat for any spot you want to navigate too! An even with the newer units with base maps, they do not have address to address routing! And talk about small screen size! The Garman GPS III+ has a screen prob. on 1/4th the size of the nav in the Odyssey... and with something 12 levels of ZOOM, and context sensitive typing... it automatically reduces the number of keystrokes required to get to a city or street. and with voice prompt directions... I have had 2 different GPS systems, both handheld, a Garman GPS12 and a Magellan GPS300, and while they are great on my sailboat... I use them for VMG calculations... they are worthless in a car unless you have been to where you want to go before and have set a waypoint! Now for those with a laptop, and Delorme's Street Atlas with GPS, that is an economical solution! But unless you already HAD the laptop, it is not cheap or will ever be as user friendly as the Alpine system in the Nav!
    As far as your comment regarding memory loss... well that maybe true but at least there is a solution... but there usually is no solution for being short sighted...

Oh and as for touch screen smudging... we don't seem to have a problem... but dust does collect and we use the little cloth that was provided to clean the screen, with the vehicle.
    lietjauw: In addition to dcrisler's many reasons above, consider that the $1500 you initially saved will undoubtedly be more than made up by the body repairs (and resulting insurance rate increases) you will have from fender benders. Don't worry, you will have plenty of those if you attempt to use anything handheld while driving. Or will you be hiring a navigator too? ;-)
    By the way... tim's response above is dead on... also I got real tired of having the GPS s/w just show me an off course errors instead of recalulating the route if I veered off course... on and also I had a GPS45 not a GPS12, the 12 is newer and may hve better software... the 45 is only an 8 channel reciever, but does allow for external ant(must have for automotive use) and output to a computer for logging trip points... or connection to street atlas... the GPS300 has no external connections and there fore has to be placed by the window... just try driving and hold that by a window and watching it!