Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Taurus/Mercury Sable Sedans Pre-2008

Comments

• doncbrysondoncbryson Member Posts: 1
    My ford taurus is a piece of junk. I will NEVER buy a ford again. The head gasket went at 75000. The AC went at 45000. The breaks have not been working properly for the last 30000 miles. The car overall has been the worst I have ever had.
  • seeligseelig Member Posts: 590
    what year is your taurus?
    my 92 cougar had the same problems and then some, which is the last time i ever looked at fords (merks).
    the reason i'm checking this thread, is because i posted a question as to the value of a '96 sable w/90K miles. doesn't look like these cars are very popular at all though.
  • snowmansnowman Member Posts: 540
    I took an appointment from my local dealer for tranny flash and also asked them whether filter needs to be replaced. They said filter is not replacable on 2000 models, flash will clean up the filter too. I was wondering you guys have some experience on tranny service on 2000 Taurus.
    Any input will be appreciated.
  • dtownfbdtownfb Member Posts: 2,918
    has anyone tried changing the Oxygen sensor to solve the pinging problems? It might be worth a shot.
  • canadatwocanadatwo Member Posts: 198
    how does the optional traction control work on the new style Taurus?

Does it use the brakes, engine, or something in the axle?

does it really make a difference in the snow/ice?
  • mrl11777mrl11777 Member Posts: 154
    ... utilizes the ABS. Seems to work -- it is very hard to force a wheel to spin.
  • fdthirdfdthird Member Posts: 352
    shuts down the engine, applies the brake, all of the above.
  • minnesotaartminnesotaart Member Posts: 52
    If you're like me and used to driving on snow/ice, it is a little unnerving at first because it feels like you have lost power. In Minnesota, you get pretty used to wheel spin in the winter and how to "play" it with the accelerator. So, when it doesn't happen the way you expect, you find yourself momentarily asking "what's wrong?". But, on balance, it probably does more good than harm and is a reasonable option once you get used to it.
  • regfootballregfootball Member Posts: 2,166
    car mfrs put traction control on a car, but still leave crappy tires on the car. In the end, all the traction control does is make up for the fact that the car has **** for tires.
    In our family we have a 2000 Mustang V/6 convertible and a 2001 Taurus SEL, both with traction control. We live on Long Island and so are not really in "snow country". The Mustang has Eagle GAs and even with the trac control is useless in the snow. The Taurus has Continentals and although we got it late last winter and didn't get too much snow time, the front wheel drive with the traction control make for a much better trip in the snow.

If I lived in snow country I'd consider a good set of winter tires on the Mustang (or leave it in the garage) and might also for the Taurus.
    I agree. My 98 Taurus came with General Ameri-something tires, and I think that they were made of Teflon. I junked those almost immediately and put on a set of Michelin Pilots. The car is now pinned to the road.

I previously owned a 92 Taurus wagon, and that came standard with very good Michelins. My current 2000 Taurus wagon came standard with Continental TouringContact tires, and they are very good (I would buy them again when the first set wears out). The Contis, coupled with the traction control, make this a very stable car to drive.
  • canadatwocanadatwo Member Posts: 198
    what kind of real world mpg city & highway does the MY2000+ 200HP 3.0L Taurus get?

and what is the FFV motor???
    My 98 Taurus Duratec (200hp 24 valve) in mixed use gets around 22mpg. On a highway trip I get around 29mpg. If I am really having some fun, though, I can go as low as 16mpg (with a lead foot).

My 2000 Taurus wagon Vulcan (155hp, 12 valve) gets about the same. The acceleration is not as good, but it is adequate.

FFV stands for Flexible Fuel Vehicle. According to many posters and my mechanic, this derivative of the Vulcan motor sucks. It's not an option any more, I think.
  • seeligseelig Member Posts: 590
    in regards to my original post of what the sable is worth, i just thought i would follow up on the car in question. as suspected, the Sable is a pile of junk, and after reading a lot of the posts here and elsewhere, i'm glad to say that we won't be falling into Ford's trap.
  • g1994stsg1994sts Member Posts: 26
    I own a 99 taurus, the ride is tight and precise, and the ergonomics are excellent. Unlike my other car a 94 Seville STS that has a floaty wobbly ride and the 60's steering column protrudes too far out and too high up over my eyes, and I'm 5'11". Typical of all GM cars, especially Buicks, they are wallowing, bobbling jollopys brand new.

For what the taurus / sables cost they are over engineered and a tremendous value. The STD V6 feels extremely fast like V8. Yes it does ping on regular gas. Get at least Mid-grade or even Super for ping free performance and blazing Speed.
    The Taurus is a good car that deserves a better rap than it gets.

The front seats are the best I've owned and many other guests have commented on how amazingly comfy they are. The seats are firm and supportive, yet comfy.

The ride on the SHO is a bit firm and controlled but much better than any GM midsize and is superior by far to my dad's Seville. Like g1994sts, I think the same about the ride and the interior of the Seville. I have also driven Duratec equipped SE Tauruses and they are similar in character to my SHO, I think many people would be surprised and pleased if they'd drove one.

So many people fail to realize the Taurus has its basics very well engineered. So its not an Audi, yeah well it doesn't have an Audi price. As far as style, ride and substance I think its a definite improvement over typical GM yuck and much better engineered and built than Chryslers over the last 5-7 years.
  • frank58frank58 Member Posts: 54
    My 1996 sable is still tight and mostly problem free. This is not the worst car I ahve ever had.

I get comments all the time that the paints still looks like it is brand new.
  • greasykid1greasykid1 Member Posts: 336
    Has anyone installed these brighter bulbs in their Taurus? If so what were the results? Any comments on improving headlights would be appreciated.
    yes I would also be interested in knowing how well the PIAA's work on the Taurus.
  • ken126ken126 Member Posts: 39
    I am looking for a 2000-2001 taurus with the duratec engine. I have been checking autotrader.com and I have seen Taurus se-svg's. What is a SVG? I checked carsdirect to see the different models and SVG doesnt exist.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    I'm sorry folks, but your Membership Agreement prohibits using the Town Hall to buy and sell vehicles (or anything else). Please feel free to visit Edmunds.com's Used Power Shopper either to list a used vehicle or to look for one available in your area.

Thanks.

Pat
    Host
    Sedans Message Board
  • minnesotaartminnesotaart Member Posts: 52
    Stands for Special Vehicles Group, an internal part of Ford that makes "hot" versions of production cars (like the Contour SVG). There were no 2000-2002 Taurus SVG's ever made. Prior to that, it was the Taurus SHO (Special High Output), but again, never a Taurus SVG. The only exception might be a show car Taurus SVG, but they were never produced.
    Do you mean SVT?? Ford Special vehicle Team, such as the Cobra and the F-150 Lightning, and the soon to be released Focus SVT?
  • ken126ken126 Member Posts: 39
    It means special value group, probably a group of options put together
  • shank6shank6 Member Posts: 64
    I haven't posted in a while, but just wanted to weigh in on a couple of subjects.

I sell gasoline and diesel fuel for a living, and I hate to say it, but there are different blends of gasoline around the country. Most of these "grades" of gas have to meet EPA mandates for smog and pollution, but still satisfy the requirements for performance. The differences can sometimes be dramatic depending on the company, the area you live in, and the type of engine you run.

I believe Ford makes apretty good car for the money. As some previous posts have indicated, it's not a BMW, but it's not 30 grand either.

I haven't had the best of luck with my 99SE, but I think I'm over the hump now. If I wasn't so upside down on this car I'd jump on a new Taurus or Sable right away. Go Ford, Go America!!!!!!
    Check this out if you need some inspiration..

http://www.apcnet.com/uh-60/america002swf

it's pretty potent.

Shank6's link has a typo - here's a URL that should work: http://www.apcnet.com/uh-60/america002.swf

Pat
    Host
    Sedans Message Board
  • diamanteguydiamanteguy Member Posts: 11
    The new Tauraus's styling is much less sporty. Especaill the rear tail lights, which are big and use the same light for braking and turning. And it looks like a old persons car, not the sporty car a Taurus is supposed to be
    One man's "STINK" is another's perfume.

We like the way the car looks and love our 2001 SEL!

If I want sporty, we take my Mustang Convertible!

FDIII
  • snowmansnowman Member Posts: 540
    I think this body is the best one I ever seen on Tauruses.
  • diamanteguydiamanteguy Member Posts: 11
    I just think they should go back to the 96-99 Taurus stylings. And replace the V-8 Powered SHO. Your right though, a Mustang is supposed to be Ford's sporty car.
    maybe some of us want a faster car that's actually useful and has four doors.
    why I have a 99 SHO. My nephew has a new 2001 Mustang GT. He works at sea and it sits parked in a garage 6 months out of the year. Its a shame he's not using the car, but when he does use it, I'm sure he doesn't need high utility out of it. But guys like me who frequently use the back seat and need a more comfortable interior need the usefulness of a four door. And just cause I'm over 30 now doesn't mean I can't have a fast car.
    Just cause I'm over 40 doesn't mean I wouldn't love a Mustang Bullit Edition, hunter green with the tuned exhaust and custom interior.

Saw one yesterday. They profiled one against a Cobra and it's just about as fast, but for about 5 grand less!!!

Happy Thanksgiving people
  • morg7morg7 Member Posts: 5
    Has anybody installed an aftermarket cd/tape player in one of these? Can it be done? What is your experience? My aunt called me the other day and said the factory radio chewed up one of her cassettes and the tape player didn't work anymore. She wanted to buy an aftermarket unit and have me install it for her. I thought about it but I'm clueless on how to install it because of that strange oval setup. I've never worked on something like that. I welcome all your comments. Please help. Thanks.
  • iusecadiusecad Member Posts: 287
    Crutchfield sells this that will allow you to install an aftermarket radio.

Hope this helps!
  • morg7morg7 Member Posts: 5
    THANKS!!
  • ohio7ohio7 Member Posts: 67
    I was very pleased when they changed the styling of the 2000 Taurus. I LOVE the rear lights the best - the reason why I bought it instead of the Sable. It doesn't have that stupid pug-nosed look that most cars have now (Ugly butt end of Maxima. Nissan cars are old-man boring!). The large lights are also a great safety feature. Nice design and functional.
  • barjonbarjon Member Posts: 27
    Initially, the Taurus SES model was called the Taurus SE-SVG (Super Value Group) and the Taurus SEL was offered as the Taurus SE Comfort. The change was made in the middle of the 2000 model year.
  • bcohenbcohen Member Posts: 58
    Well, after reading through all 1200+ posts so as not to duplicate a question, I can now feel confident I am posting a new question. :)

My fiance and I are looking at 1999-2000 Taurus'. Has anyone had any experience doing light towing with either engine. I know the Vulcan is rated at 1250lbs. and the Duratec at 1750lbs., but I'm looking for real world experience. We have an 1100lb. pop-up that we currently tow with my old truck. The truck won't last forever and we want to be able to tow a couple times a year with the Taurus if need be. Any comments? Much appreciated.
  • dtownfbdtownfb Member Posts: 2,918
    You can tow with the Taurus (any other car) but you must have the right setup. Before you purchase the car I would look at the manual or talk to a Ford mechanic (not salesman) to see if can do it. My guess is yes but...I wouldn't tow it if it were my Taurus car.
    Well, after reading through all 1200+ posts so as not to duplicate a question, I can now feel confident I am posting a new question. :)

My fiance and I are looking at 1999-2000 Taurus'. Has anyone had any experience doing light towing with either engine. I know the Vulcan is rated at 1250lbs. and the Duratec at 1750lbs., but I'm looking for real world experience. We have an 1100lb. pop-up that we currently tow with my old truck. The truck won't last forever and we want to be able to tow a couple times a year with the Taurus if need be. Any comments? Much appreciated.
  • eng6ineeng6ine Member Posts: 29
    You can tow but need to have the proper equipment ie., auxillary transmision cooler, ask a your mechanic about what type of tow hitch to install. My 2001 SEL came with a aux trans cooler but I think I would need to replace it with a larger one to tow.
    I've put a link to this just published article in the Additional Resources box on the left sidebar of this page. Check it out!

This is one in a series of articles on Edmunds.com in a new category "Generations" under Reviews. You can check out other histories here.

Pat
    Host
    Sedans Message Board
  • joecugjoecug Member Posts: 15
    I own a 1993 Taurus SW with a 3.8L V-6.
    The engine has blown a head gasket(no
    surprise on the 3.8). I am reluctant
    to do a full head gasket repair since
    the car has 135K on it. The mileage is past the 100k extended waranty Ford is now giving out on 3.8L head gasket repar.
    I had another Taurus repaired under that
    plan and it never ran well after that.
    Had a lot of vibration and lost engine
    power. So I'm looking for an alternative
    to a 1000 dolar head gasket job.
    I've seen ads for head sealer treat-
    ments that run aroun $250. Has anyone
    had experience with these treatments?
    Or has anyone used over the counter
    gasket sealers and have them do any good?
    Does anyone know of any low cost
    procedures that will prolong the life
    of an engine wth a blown gasket. I may just run the car until it stops(which
    could be a while)and then sell for
    whatever. Info on keeping 3.8s running
    would be appreciated
  • jonbgoodjonbgood Member Posts: 157
    An add caught my eye in this mornings paper. 2000 LS with leather and moon roof 17k miles for $13,495 at a local dealer. I'm assuming its a LS premium sedan because of the leather. Just started looking at these vehicles. Any watch outs? Looks like it could be a good deal according to Edmonds. I'm unsure of the color. Any feedback or experiences with this vehicle would be appreciated.
  • bearmasterbearmaster Member Posts: 2
    I own an 97 taurus with rear disc brake. It makes a lot of noise when braking at warm temperature. The brake pad is not worn out yet. I was told by a Ford mechanic that it was caused by a bad design. He said the rotor in the rear is too small to hold the temperature.

I'm thinking about to change to a Carbon Metalic brake pad to increase the fade temperature, but can not find who carry the CM pad for taurus. Does any of you know where I can get it? Also can a sloted rotor solve this problem?

Many thanks,
    Mike
    Well, I can join the discussion now with a little more authority. My fiance' and I just bought a 1999 Taurus. It has the 24V, the usual power stuff, and 40,000 miles. I hate to upset everyone with what we paid for it, but we only paid $7200 for it! We found a small town hardware store owner who sells cars on the side. He sells the cars for $250 over what he paid at auction. We went with him to the auction (unofficially) and picked out the car we wanted. He was so great and went out of his way to help us that we ended up giving him $400 instead of the $250. We (she drives it) really like the car so far. I'll keep everyone posted on what we think as time goes by.
  • marsha7marsha7 Member Posts: 3,703
    to be somewhat dim...I don't feel like I can see as well at night as I can with my Intrepid...I am thinking of replacing the bulbs with PIAA Platinum White...the auto parts guy says that the light emitted is at least twice what the factory bulbs put out...1) is this true?...2) are they simple replacements, pull out the old and put in the new?...3) do I have to change any relays or anything electrical, or just put in the new bulbs and go on my merry way?...4) the PIAA's are about $80 per pair...is there a better or cheaper way to do it, or is PIAA my best route?...thanks
    We own a 2000 Sable LS Premium with just over 10,000 miles and have had no problems whatsoever.

Other than the 2 factory recalls (both minor) it's been a great car.

Good Luck!
    Shank
This discussion has been closed.