Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Pontiac Grand Prix - 2000-2005

Comments

• grandprix95grandprix95 Member Posts: 2
    mine isnt the GTP, but has similar issues. tranny runs rough, and occasional if i come to a stop up hill, the engine will shutoff. of course im having alot of other tranny issues along with this.
  • grandprix95grandprix95 Member Posts: 2
    mine eats about 2 every month, with the same issues, no burning, and no leaking.
  • bond007mgmbond007mgm Member Posts: 4
    I have a 99 Grand Prix GT and whenever I hit stop and go traffic and use my brakes a lot I see a little puff of smoke come out of the hood of my car. (Assuming its brake related) I have no oil leaks, I do have a slight leak with the brake fluid. Then also sometimes after the car has been on for awhile I hear pumping noises coming from the left (driver side) of the engine, sounds like its coming from or near where you put in the brake fluid. Any help would be nice, thanks.
  • tjordan83tjordan83 Member Posts: 1
    I have been having this problem for the last 2 weeks. Whenever my car has been sitting for around 4 or more hours (usually this is at it's worst after it sits overnight) when I start it up it turns over fine but when the engine fires it start shaking Mildly and makes a weird sound. The sound is hard to explain but it's kind of like pa pa pa pa pa etc and the higher the rpms are the rate of the sound increases. The shaking lasts for about 5-10 seconds (usually the longer it has been sitting the longer it shakes) and the sound can last from about 30 seconds-3 minutes and maybe even longer (same as the shake the longer it sits the longer it lasts). When I start driving the sounds goes away in about 15 seconds-1 minute. I just had the intake manifold replaced last night and this morning there was no improvement. All the times I listed are estimates and aren't 100% accurate. If anyone has suggestions of what the cause of this is or past experiences of this I would greatly appreciate your responses.
  • jal012773jal012773 Member Posts: 63
    We have a '04 GT2 that we bought for my wife in Feb. '04. I had been getting the oil changed every three months, even though she only puts about 6k miles per year on it. I decided this last time to see how long I can go before the oil monitor system tells me it's time to change the oil. How long should it go before telling me to change the oil. I don't want to go too long without an oil change and risk damaging anything.
  • abc1923abc1923 Member Posts: 6
    Hello,
    I have '04 Grand Prix and i am thinking about changing factory installed cd player with after market ones. Will that effect anything as far as alarm system or anything else. Once i heard that since alarm system is embedded with cd player/radio , after market cd player will mess up something. Any ideas?
    Thank you all
  • tedchorlyonetedchorlyone Member Posts: 5
    Ok. I've got a 1993 grand prix. It hasn't been running and has been sitting in the driveway for about a year. I know it needs a new battery, because even when I try to jumpstart it, it won't turn over and still sounds like it needs more power, however it had a new battery put in it last year before it died. It looks like it needs an oil change for sure (oil's pretty black, but not creamy, so I don't think a head gasket's to blame), and I want to check the spark plugs as well. Any other ideas on what may be causing this? I'm unfamiliar with pontiacs, so I don't know any problems they tend to have, and am not car-savvy enough to guess exactly what else would be wrong with it.

basically, I try to jumpstart it, i can hear it trying to turn over, but it won't start.
  • mahnkejjmahnkejj Member Posts: 1
    Don't spend all your money yet. I had the same problem with my 97 GTP. All it was making the noise inside the supercharger was a plastic coupling. I can't remember where I ordered it from but a search on the internet should bring something up. The part is $30-$50 I think and you'll have to buy some new supercharger oil.
  • z28gurlz28gurl Member Posts: 5
    My unfortunate purchase was a 2000 Grand Prix GT, 2 door, nothing special....
    I have read through so many discussions on the tranny issue with the hard shifting when warm, but only sometimes, as well as taking off in 3rd gear ( It was put best by someone when they said, "felt like I was hauling a house") and I am even more confused now.
    I figured it wouldnt hurt to start a thread for just my question.

For everyone who has had this problem was it worth fixing it?
    I am considering taking it in for the Pressure control solenoid ( as this is what has been refered to as the problem several times now) I know there are many other factors that "could" contribute to this "hard shift" however, my symptoms have been EXACTLY as described by others who have dealt with it. Also when I purchased it in October last year (2006)it was working fine, the engine light has recently come on, and now its acting the same as the others.... I had a tranny flush done in October, tune up done, and some new parts put on although they were "alright for now".
    So...
    What would one say to the mechanic ( especially being female) and not get jerked around too much, what would be your top recomendations for things I should want checked out? Or is it even worth it? Should I just sell the beast and move on???

Thanks for any answers!
  • grprixluvrgalgrprixluvrgal Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2001 Gr Prix GT 3.8. I recently had the upper and lower intake manifold replaced (common problem in these cars)at a Pontiac dealership. After the work was done, I noticed the heat and air was blowing only out the defrost vent near the windshield. I took it back, lo and behold, the mechanic knocked loose the vaccuum hose. They "fixed" their mistake and all was well. Until it got hot out a couple weeks later, and I turned on the A/C and while it was blowing air, it is NOT cold air. Given the dealership's admitted prior mistake and the fact I have had NO problems with my AC until they worked on the car, I figured they did something to it while working on the intake manifolds. I took it back in, and they did a dye test and some other test to see if there was a leak, because there was no refrigerant in the system at all now. They could NOT find a leak anywhere. I suggested the problem resulted from something they did or didn't do while replacing the intake manifolds, but the dealership insists not, that they did NOT have to touch the A/C system nor did their work affect it in anyway. I've talked to a lot of people who all agree they could NOT have replaced the manifolds without it affecting the A/C. I'm trying to get a certain answer so I can take this further and have the dealership be held responsible if they indeed are. Any thoughts?
  • tncarmantncarman Member Posts: 82
    I've dealt with dealerships in the past that were stubborn like yours. Usually I just take my car to a different dealership and they fix it, almost every time. Hope it helps.
  • cnwcnw Member Posts: 105
    If the car was still under warranty, I would agree. However, in this case another dealer won't repair damage resulting from the first "fix" without wanting compensation; justifiable expense on his part. It appears you have to appeal to the dealer's sense of "honor" and his commitment to provide customer service--both of which are increasingly hard to find. Failing to get the dealer to respond to a sense of duty, you may have to respond with "Better Business Bureau", Chamber of Commerce, or "action line" through a local media outlet. Good luck!!
  • omegaxomegax Member Posts: 1
    Ok i have a issue that doesn't make sense to me. I have 2001 grand prix gt 3.8l with dual zone climate control. Now the problem is this. well there is a leak but thats not what's concerning me at the moment. When i turn on the ac the passenger side blows out cold air.....the driver side blows out warm air. I have no idea what's going on at all.

posting to see if anyone else has had this problem and/or has a solution.

Thank you for your time
  • tevermdtevermd Member Posts: 1
    Did you ever find a solution to this problem? I have a 1997 GP where the alarm is going off every 24 hours (around noon every day). It beeps four times and then quits.
    I have no idea how to explain this one. It started shortly after I got the car in 2004 but only occurred at one specific time when I was backing out my drive. Now it's happening a lot more. What it is is this: Originally when I started my car, put it in reverse and started backing out the drive, something in the front of the car (engine, brakes, steering, ???) makes a kind of humming/grunting noise that vibrates slightly, lasting a few seconds. Now it happens more often but intermittently when I break, am steering into a turn, or sometimes just driving straight down the road. It's loud enough people can hear it and stare. I don't know if this is connected, but sometimes my low track light will come on for no reason. This has happened maybe 3 or 4 times when there is no reason for it to come on, such as starting to back down my paved, even driveway. I tried driving with the track off, but it had no affect on that strange noise. Any ideas?
    I believe it is somehow connected with the ABS and its sensors. Don't have any thoughts regarding the current frequency of the sounds, etc. However, the initial sounds and pulsing after start-up are normal for the ABS as it initializes itself. I have no experience with having an ABS that needed repair or service. How is the brake fluid level? Do pads/linings need replacement? The "Trac" light comes on becuase it is tied into the ABS; it applies braking pressure to the wheel that has slippage. Keep us posted.

Clark
    That was my suspicion as well, even though I know practically nothing about this stuff. I have not checked the brake fluid level recently. I just had all the rotors and pads replaced a few months ago, so I don't think that is the problem.

I did, however, take my car in to have the tires rotated and Belle Tire told me I needed a new right front hub assembly. Could this contribute to the problem at all? The vibration and noise is getting so frequent now it happens more time than not.

Thanks for the info and I will check the brake fluid level when I get home tonight.
    You may have two separate problems: front hub assembly could certainly cause the constant humming and vibration; ABS/TRACS system could cause some of the pulsing. You're right regarding the fluid level--you certainly wouldn't expect a problem there since you just had a brake job done, unless....? Clark
  • mazuurmazuur Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 GTP that had the same problem, I replaced the fuel pump resistor, didn't fix the problem, I replaced the crankshaft positioning sensor, didn't fix the problem. So I bought factory service manuals, I paid less than a hundred for it, the manual is easy to read and diagnosed the problem the first time through it.
    My starting problem was cause by the mass flow air sensor starting to fail in the throttle body (manifold). If the computer detect decreasing air flow it tries to compensate by decreasing fuel delivery and when sensor completely fails the computer stops fuel delivery completely.
    I hope this helps, I've been where you're at and it ain't no fun.
    John
  • chriistiichriistii Member Posts: 1
    I am having the EXACT same problem with my 2004 grand prix. I've had a couple mechanics look at it, and they can't quite determine whats going on. Today I'm taking it to the dealer. Did you find out wha the problem was??

Thanks,
    Christi
  • dgw7245dgw7245 Member Posts: 2
    What did the dealer tell you?
    I am having the same exact problem on my 04 GP as well. And this morning my ABS and Traction System lights came on. I have also had a couple of instances where the same "humming/vibrating" noise would happen pulling into a parking space while turning to the right, :confuse:
  • flyboy107flyboy107 Member Posts: 1
    I have an 05 Grand prix that just failed its inspection due to a P0411 code that came up in the emissions test. I was told by the dealer over the phone that its a secondary air injection check valve that need to be replaced at a cost of $300 for just the part!! Are there any other cheaper options it might be? Is the dealer blowing smoke up my butt?
  • jsimssd72jsimssd72 Member Posts: 1
    I noticed about three months ago my tac on the console would drop to 0 and stay there while the car was still running. Once you stopped and started the car it would work fine. Then the past two weeks I have had issues with the car not starting right away. It will turn over but not start and if you wait some time it will start for you. Also it has stalled on me about 3 times this week. After reading this I think I am looking at the CrankShaft sensor. IS there anything else I should look at based on your past experiences?

Thanks,
  • dlc2dlc2 Member Posts: 10
    I am trying to gain access to the steering column to replace the solinoid that releases the key. I have a 2003 Grand Prix and haven't been able to find a way to
    get the tilt wheel lever removed so I can take off the steering column cover.

I've read there is a clip that holds the lever in place on older models, but I don't see it on this one. It looks like one piece of plastic. Any ideas how to get this out?
    Thanks
  • 767fo1767fo1 Member Posts: 1
    My 98 GTP RPM will suddenly drop to zero and occasionally the TCS goes to OFF. From what I have read, it appears it could be the crankshaft position sensor or the cam sensor. Anybody had any luck replacing these parts without further problems? I also hear they are not that easy to get at for replacement.
  • zofsharickzofsharick Member Posts: 1
    It sounds like a valve is tapping on my 03 GTP. It did this month ago but went away after it warmed up. I changed the oil and it completly went away. Now its back! This happen to anyone else.

Does anyone know how much this is going to cost to fix?
  • cargirl30cargirl30 Member Posts: 2
    Sounds like the oil pump may be failing. I have had this happen. I had to have my engine rebuilt because I didn't know my oil pump was only partilally working. My lifters would only tap sometimes and it was usually only after I started it, then would stop after a minute or sooner. It would be fine after I changed the oil and then a few days later start all over. Sounds like you might have the same problem. I hope this helps!
  • cigsmhcigsmh Member Posts: 16
    I purchased my Grand Prix in 2004 as a used 3 years old car.
    Recently had to replace head casket and this is the only problem I had.
    Very reliable car. Very fast and very predictable on the road.
    The breaks is fantastic. They saved me twice from a very serious accidents
    Car is very fast and very big. I drove a Camry 2005, and its cabin feels bigger.
    The trunk though , is huge.
    I am going to replace this car with a SUV, but I like my car and its a pity that GM can't put a normal head gasket on 3.8 and 3.4 engines. Engines are very economical and reliable
  • wbeard6wbeard6 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 01 GP GT. Back in July, had the same problem as you, took my car to the dealer, they said I had a bad left wheel hub. $500 later car seemed fine. 3 weeks later, same problem; took car back to dealer, they said the other front wheel hub was bad; another $500. Now 3 months later, problem is back. Are the dealers just guessing? A lot of people seem to have this problem. How many more parts will we pay for before the problem is diagnosed correctly? I am extremely frustrated! Could it just be the wiring to the harnesses or the wheel sensors? Assumed the dealer checked these when replacing the hubs. Do you feel the "rub" in the steering when straightening the wheels after backing out of a parking space, and does it seem to happen mostly when car is cold?
  • timinatortiminator Member Posts: 3
    I just replaced the ignition switch on my 2002 Grand Prix and also had to remove the tilt lever. I found that the lever simply comes out if you pull firmly on it. There's nothing holding it in, it's simply a friction fit.
  • tonebonetonebone Member Posts: 1
    I am attempting to hook my radar detector to my new 2005 GP and want it to come on with ignition...and off when key is off. Which fuse can I connect it to and achieve this function??Thanks
  • dymitchelldymitchell Member Posts: 2
    I also have a 98 GTP and I'm experiencing the same intermittent problem (TCS off and RPM at zero). They said they're fairly sure it's a malfunctioning crankshaft position sensor which will cost me 300 dollars to replace. Ouch. I'm about to have it done though so I'll let you know if it works in a week or two.
  • dymitchelldymitchell Member Posts: 2
    The new crankshaft position sensor has fixed the problem and cost me around 200 dollars with labor. Hope this information helps you.
  • turtlesharkturtleshark Member Posts: 1
    My '03 grand prix is doing the same thing.....Did you find out what was wrong with it??
  • tjisirishguytjisirishguy Member Posts: 4
    have 2005 Grand Prix. driving down the road, the right front brake began grabbing. Took car in, had new rotors pads and calipers put on. Driving along, Trac light comes on accomponied by the ABS light. Sometimes it works just fine.
    Took car back in, said I needed a new front wheel bearing, this IS a major problem these cars have, Replaced wheel bearing, everything fine, WAIT !
    Car begins its old tricks, ABS and TRAC come on, peddal pulsating from false signals from the now fixed wheel bearing, this is where these cars detect wheel slippage and/or traction and use the brakes to either stop wheel spin for traction or unlock the brakes when they lock up, they are a connected problem.
    Car started having problems at 73,000 miles or so.Ofcourse the warranty was gone and the car is not even paid for. I have had chevy's all my life, I WILL NEVER BY ANOTHER unless it has a 235 , 6 cylinder, LOL.
    I have been told I now need a new right wheel bearing...what do you guys or gals think?
    I forgot to mention, The intake mainifold on these GM vehicles WILL need replaced unless you drain the DEX cool out and use a less corosive Anit-Freeze...Good Luck
    meant GASKET up there
    I took car in (grand prix) had the connections to the wheel sensors cleaned, this completely stopped the abs/trac light and peddal pulsation for one moth, started again, assuming they need cleened again, poor design, but something you can do yourself, I have spent 350 for a wheel bearing, 541.00 for complete front brakes and all the time, the problem was dirty connections, before you spend money like I did, clean yours, see what happens!..Good Luck, Tj
  • headachheadach Member Posts: 17
    I have had to put wheels hubs on my 94 and 90 GP also 1999 Olds Alero, 89 buick regal . They go bad alot on these cars. on myt olds the sensor was built on the hub and went bad a week after putting it on the car. My only thought is to look for a wheel hub with a life time warrenty, can be expensive but will pay off latter.
  • headachheadach Member Posts: 17
    I just purchased a little fixer upper for $900.00. I is a 1990 Pontiac Grand Prix LE with the 3.1 Multi Port V6 with only 92000 miles. I have put a new alternator, oil change, tune up, and batt new before i bought the car. The cars is FAST and runs great except for minor problems like the slip in the tranny at 20 mph which has been occuring on my 89 Buick Regal since i bought it with 99000 and it now has 172000 and still is running great. My only problem i really want fixxed is that when the car is under load for example radio, turnsignal, lights, it has a rough almost stalling idle. It only stalled ounce when making a tight turn without moving and hasn't stalled since the alternator. what do u think it could be? I love this car and plan to have it for a while.
  • designergaldesignergal Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2004 grand prix and I experienced this problem when I first purchased it. If your tilt steering is not locked into position properly you will have these problems. Check on that if you are still having problems.

good luck :shades:
  • druviedruvie Member Posts: 1
    I discovered today thatI have the same problen in my 2002 GTP. Do you have a fix?
  • mick7227mick7227 Member Posts: 2
    I am entering a 91 GrandPrix in an endurance race called 24 hours of Lemons. Car had to be purchased for under $500 and then you add safety equipment. Anyway, looking for some advice:
    - Is there a rear sway bar upgrade or other suspension tricks for this year car
    - Any tuning tweaks? It has the 3.1 engine and it runs pretty good now.

Any advice on keeping this beast alive for 24hrs? Will be racing at Toledo Spwy in Sep.
  • mick7227mick7227 Member Posts: 2
    If you havent had it fixed yet, i would recommend checking the idle control valve. We have a 91 Grand Prix and a 90 Grand AM and experienced similar problem. We didnt even have to replace the part - just remove it and clean it good with carb cleaner. That did the trick
  • schneider34schneider34 Member Posts: 2
    '97 Grand Prix-120K Miles
    Car will jerk and Tachometer quits working until car is turned off and turned back on. Usually happens when A/C or Heat have been on. Also, now this is strange, when you turn the wheel the radio volume goes down by itself...you can turn it right back up but obviously there is something wrong(and no I am not accidentally turning it down with the wheel volume controls). Just started doing this in the last 1000 miles. Electical issue??? Alternator??? Something more??? Anyone have and issues like this and maybe have what the solutions were??? If its gonna cost me a lot I am selling the thing, already put $3000 into it this past year.
  • monkey05monkey05 Member Posts: 1
    Kind of a unique problem I am having that hopefully someone can help me with

I have a 99 GTP and the exterior temp gadge is always off on the low side. In the summer I can watch it fall to 30 degrees and when it does the AC quits working. If I wait a while it may start climbing again and the AC will start working again but it's hit or miss, it only seems to do it on the really hot days. Any Ideas
  • jtg_2004jtg_2004 Member Posts: 1
    this is relatively easy issue and i jsut did it so its fresh on the mind... on the front of the engine take out the bolts on the motormounts and leave the car in park... take a tow strap and hook it to the back on the engine(my car had the hook where you can lift the engine out) and the other end hook to somethign firm on the front of the car near the hood latch... tighten the strap down and the engine should easily tilt forward about 6 inches allowing you to get to th back 3 sparkplugs much much easier. when finished jsut undo the strap and put the motor mount bolts back in... good luck
  • cafsafcafsaf Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I also have a 1990 pontiac grand prix. I think your problem is with the idle learn control. Any time the battery is disconnected for a period of time the computer(ecm) loses its idle learn memory and defaults to preset value. It will now have to be re programmed with the correct values. This can be done at your GM dealer for the cost of around $80.00 , depending where you are located. This is unique to 1998 through probably 1991 or 1992 pontiac models. After 92 GM fixed the problem and all you had to do was drive the car for about 10 miles at a proper speed above fifty mph. This would over write the limp back codes set in the ecm after losing the battery voltage for a period of time.
    I just replaced the radio in my pontiac and had the battery disconnected for two days, i now have to have the ecm re programmed with the correct values for the idle learn control. Symptoms are rough idle, stalling, engine surge and some times rough shifting when the torque convertor locks up putting the car in direct drive.
    Hope this was helpful
    Post if this fixes your problem
    cafsaf
  • nkairnsnkairns Member Posts: 27
    My 2004 Grand Prix GT has a few bulbs burrt out on the instrumentation panel. 4 on the radio buttons as well as the re-circulation button on the climate control.

Can these bulbs be replaced without changing the entire console?
  • jabond23jabond23 Member Posts: 3
    Wider is better!! more ground coverage makes it easier to corner. of course better tires and suspension will help too!
This discussion has been closed.