Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Acura Legend

Comments

• prophet2prophet2 Member Posts: 372
    You've been lucky so far. Honda (and most manufacturers, Toyota being a notable exception) builds engines that wll be TRASHED should the belt break during operation. This is definitely NOT an "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" situation. As mentioned above, it will cost THOUSANDS. $550 is a fair and reasonable price.
  • moobthoj1moobthoj1 Member Posts: 8
    I have a 95 Legend GS and the service guy at a local Acura dealer quoted me for $859.99 for a timing belt and water pump change. I gave him..."I'll think about it" line! He knows I won't come back!
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Maybe one or two of you missed pat Apr 9, 2002 4:43pm.

Sorry, but the Town Hall *expressly* forbids selling or buying things here - I don't know how to be any clearer.

Pat
    Sedans Host
    I see you are not getting a lot of help on pricing your Legend. You could hop over to a discussion on our Smart Shopper board where I think you will get some assistance. Here is the link: Real-World Trade-In Values.

Good luck! And don't forget to check out the Used Power Shopper link in my post immediately following yours.

Pat
    Sedans Host
  • fivofivo Member Posts: 5
    I have had my 1995 Legend GS for couple of months now, but I just noticed a Mode button on the back of the radio remote buttons on the steering wheel. I have pressed this button a few times and can't figure out what it does. I have looked in the owners manual and there is no mention of it. Can anyone shed any light on what this button does?

Thanks,

fivo
  • jaguarguyjaguarguy Member Posts: 1
    I own a 1995 Legend with 68K miles, there is a weird push when the car goes to the first speed, that everything is smooth, local dealer suggest that transmission need to be replace. Any suggestions would be appreciate.
  • fortiermjfortiermj Member Posts: 1
    I too have a 1995 LS sedan with 110K miles. I just bought it a week ago for $10500. It is sweet, really was kept in mint condition. It looks more like a 3 year old car than a 7 year old. Anyway, I have noticed that the shift from 1st gear to 2nd seems a little hard compared to other cars, but from what I have read this seems to be the norm for the Legend automatic tranny. Not sure if this describes the "wierd push" you are experiencing, but if not I would definitely have either a transmission shop or the dealer (if you trust him) take a look at it. Not sure if I trust a dealer that says it needs to be replaced right up front before actually looking at it. Good luck with that...
  • subzero206subzero206 Member Posts: 111
    a way to stop the battery terminals from corroding so often is to lube it with vaseline. yes the kind u use on your lips or whatever. just basic vaseline, put a generous amount on the cables and terminals and that will help it from corroding so soon.
  • y2k4my2k4m Member Posts: 9
    I just said good-bye to my '91 4-dr drk blue L w/leather. It was still in it's prime with 145,000 mi. Loaned it to a friend while his car was in the shop, and then got the dreaded phone call. It seems that a 4 wheeler loaded with teens rear-ended another 4 wheeler and shot it across the road into the Legend. No time to react or hit the breaks and in seconds it was gone. The front end/drivers side is literally unidentifiable from the sustained damage. The good news ... my friend walked away with a small cut and a few bruises. Until the bitter end my Legend served me well. My friend was impressed enough that he said he would be hard pressed not to look at an Acura for his next vehicle to which he owes his life. So, to all of you that still have your Legend, appreciate it for what it can do for you because it'll give up it's life to save yours. Sorry if this sounds corny, but my Legend was my first Luxury car that all future cars will have to be compared to and now exceed to impress me. A tough act to follow.
  • verozahlverozahl Member Posts: 574
    I'm not convinced that make the new cars as well as those old Legends... the CL and TL don't inspire sturdiness as much as the Legend to me. Still, they are the closest thing you will find to those great cars.
  • smithedsmithed Member Posts: 444
    Sorry to hear about the demise of your Legend. Since it served you so well, why not look for a good used Legend. They are around and you will be back where you want, behind the wheel of a Legend.
  • lungslungs Member Posts: 1
    I am considering purchasing either an Accord or a Legend. My budget is about $8500. I have found a great deal on an Accord for $8800 on a 97, 40K miles. But, I am wary of the size as I am 6'5" with 2 kids under 2 and the burning oil problem that happens with Hondas. On the other hand I am wary of purchasing a 12 yr old car with over 100k to get to that price point. Any strong advise one way or the other out there?
    Thanks
    lungs, you shouldn't make the jump from Toyota if you're worried about those inferior Hondas burning oil! Maybe you should look for a used Cressida instead, I'm sure they are perfect in every way.
  • shayesky1shayesky1 Member Posts: 7
    I am going to look at one this weekend. Owner has maintenance records, and a compression test was just done for other buyers, but the deal fell through. Car has 153K on it. Potential costs are fixing small rips in the back leather, and a rear power window switch. All I i will say is the asking price is below 5K. I plan on using this car as a second vehicle to compliment my too small Mustang GT. Any thoughts?
  • duck1146duck1146 Member Posts: 2
    I had a 1991 Legend, Green with platinum wheels. Only 50,000 miles & garage kept. Bought the 99 RL. Thank God I was smart enough to give the 91 to my Aunt. Couldn't bear to part with it. She loves it as much as I do & I still see or drive it often. The car is an absolute knockout. Fought off the dealership when I was buying my RL. Trading that in would have been one of the biggest mistakes in my life.
    153K? The car is good for many more miles, it sounds like. Go with it!
  • halkideschalkidesc Member Posts: 5
    Hello Everyone,

I am trying to find a car for my father. While I was impressed that Forbes picked the Legend as one of the 20 best Japanese cars of all time, I noticed that two of the four personal reviews elsewhere on this site mentioned that the Legend may have handling problems on ice and snow (this is a little surprising for a front wheel drive car). Since my dad lives in Chicago, I'd like to hear comments on this, including suggestions for the best tires. Thanks in advance.
  • dvlwthndvlwthn Member Posts: 3
    I found a 1994 Legend LS at a used car lot... The car seems to be in good shape. As far as the body and interior are concerned. It has a clean title. What things can I check for to ensure the the car is mechanically sound. I don't know much about Legends and was hoping for some advice from some of you who are more knowledgeable. The car is selling for 10,600. It has 68K miles on it roughly. Is this a good deal? I noticed something on the oil dipstick. I couldn't tell if it was rust or just extremely dried and baked oil. Salesperson said-it needs oil change still. The car started and ran smoothly. What do I look for when checking the tranny dipstick? Any Advice would be appreciated.
  • billp8billp8 Member Posts: 56
    ...does anyone have a link or other info? I owned a 1990 Legend--and every time I see one today (which is often) I wish I still had it!
  • fasterthanufasterthanu Member Posts: 210
    I've had an 86 legend and now have a 90. I don't have any experience with the later models but I would imagine their handling is similar to mine. better, I can't say. the legend is not a light car - its sprightly performance comes from the strong engine. however, i can tell you that i've never had problems getting stuck in snow, or sliding uncontrollably on ice. that said, in snow and icey conditions i've always used common sense and drove very carefully and slowly. i have been on icy highways where, with reasonable speed, i am able to coast along controllably while other cars (rear drivers mostly) are skidding and sliding.

the reason i mention the legend's weight is because i think a lighter, front drive car is immensely easier to control in snow and ice. we used to have an 86 civic and that little car NEVER was stranded in snow. we were able to push it out of snowbanks with hardly any problems. comparably, the legend requires a littl emore care and discretion to drive in bad conditions - but not bad at all. in fact, quite good.
  • prozacelfprozacelf Member Posts: 1
    Hey all...

I'm looking into a '90 Legend LS coupe w/97K miles on it for $3900. The owner has had the timing belt, water pump, CV joints, and radiator replaced and has records documenting all of this.

On the minus side, the windshield is cracked (he is willing to be negotiable on the price due to this), and the seats and paint job could both be in considerably better shape.

At any rate, the gist of this is: what is your opinion on this?

Thanks in advance for any help.

--Matt
  • petek3petek3 Member Posts: 3
    I was wondering how different the Legend is throughout the years 95 to 91? Are they a lot different? B/c i am planning to buy an Acura Legend from between 91 to 95...but i cant really tell if there are any major exterior or interior modifications...i am mainly concerned about changes on the body styling...but I LOVE the way the front of the Acura Legend looks...it looks so damn SWEET....
  • hurricaneradiohurricaneradio Member Posts: 6
    I have a 91 legend with 130,000 miles that has been flawless in all regards until the past three weeks. I have noticed on occasion puffs of blue smoke coming from the exhaust. It's not a constant condition. The oil has dropped on the dipstick as fast as the stock market has dropped. I see nothing but mega-repair costs ahead. Does anyone have any suggestions about how to address my mechanic so I won't sound totally green about this problem.
  • weikewlweikewl Member Posts: 1
    A friend of mine has two Legends which he is thinking about selling. One is a black LS 4dr with 93K on it and the second is a D. Green LS 4dr with only 45k on it. How much is each of these cars worth if they are both in clean condition? i've checked online and gotten conflicting reports. How much should I think about offering him?
  • jeffmust2jeffmust2 Member Posts: 811
    Like what year are these vehicles, auto trans or manual, etc.
  • outhereouthere Member Posts: 16
    91, 92 and 93 are basically identical with the exception of painted b/s moldings. In 94 and 95 the lower front bumper fascia opening was enlarged and accessory foglamps became available as small projector beam as opposed to the square type that mounted where the "horn covers" are located. Rear trunk lid mounted "L E G E N D" letters were brought back from the previous generation. Wheels were updated, and 16" mono block wheels were standard on GS sedan and LS coupe. GS sedan also has a painted front grille as opposed to chrome. Try to find the LS coupe GS model...higher horsepower and the sure footed traction control...which I would never give up now that I have it. Exceptional in wet weather and in icy New England winters. Hope this helps...
    Factory sound system ever produced for a car. This system is powerful, crisp, clear and has almost no bass distortion at high volume levels.
    hey thanks outhere...helped me...but i was also wondering whether any of you customized your legends? and what stuff you did to it...that is if you souped it up..
    at the considerate risk of getting this post deleted (for the life of me I can't understand why TH Hosts do this when reference is made to another board that doesn't compete) - here's where you need to go to mod any Legend:

http://www.acura-legend.com/

Hope you see this quick!

Jeff

If the link is purely informational, which this certainly is, it's not a problem. :)

Feel free to address your concerns about that or any Town Hall policy with our Interim Community Manager, Sylvia at sylvia@edmunds.com, though.

Pat
    Sedans Host
    hey jeff...that's an awesome site....esp the forum..that's great now i wont have a problem with findin info about how other ppl souped up their legends...thanks!
    here's the solution, provided your window run channels are not damaged. Spray 100% silicone spray with the spray wand all around and in the window tracks with the windows in the down position. Don't be shy with this stuff...it will not hurt the interior trim, windows or the paint. Run the windows up and down several times. Clean the windows with normal glass cleaner...but some streaking may be evident for a day or two. Also works to prevent that annoying sunroof squeak when driving in the closed position. Yup...antenna too! As long as it is not bent. DO NOT USE ANY SPRAY LUBRICANT such as WD40...these lubes contain oil and will attract dirt and dust...thus compounding the problem within a few short weeks...
  • hoorayhooray Member Posts: 15
    I am the original owner of a 1991 Cobalt Blue Legend Sedan with nearly 90,000 miles. I have followed the Acura maintenance schedule religiously.

Last week I took a 400 mile roundtrip and noticed intermitent steering wheel vibrations at various highway speeds. It would come and go between 50 and 70 MPH and it was not consistent at what speeds the steering wheel would vibrate and which speeds would be smooth.

I just had the tires balanced and rotated in April, which was less than 3,000 miles ago.

5 years ago I had to replace the master cylinder because the brakes were engaging on their own. The problem started with minor occasional vibrations and within a few weeks the brakes were actually smoking after a short trip to the Acura service dept. That is when they believed I had a problem and tried the master cylinder, which solved the problem.

Does my current problem sound like the beginning of a master cylinder problem again? Any other thoughts? I see that master cylinder problems are common in the Legend. For those of you that have had to replace yours, what were the symptoms.

Thanks for your help. I'll be crossing the 90,000 mile threshold this weekend with another out of town trip.

Also, this is now primarily my oldest daughter's car. She is starting college in a few weeks and will be 200 miles away. Does everyone agree that this car should be able to give her 4 years of reliable service (as long as I make sure that it is maintained!)?
    Ok, my first post wasn't to specific. I'll try again. The car blows out blue smoke after it has been sitting idling for about 5 minutes. The car has 130,000 miles. I am using about 1.5 qts of oil every 3000 miles. Does this sound like rings or something else?
  • sirikcarinfosirikcarinfo Member Posts: 1
    I am looking for some feedback on 93-93 Acura Vigor Model- I have been car shopping for one lately and I am interested in your opinion about this, I have seen the price range between $5500-$7500. I am deciding between thie model or a high end Accord. Thanks for your input a head of time.
  • 93legend193legend1 Member Posts: 1
    I need to replace the radiator on my 93 legend L. I have the following questions:

1. what is the price at acura dealer?
    2. I am thinking to buy the radiator online. The cost is ~$120. a local garage quote me $110 for labor to do the job? is it a good deal?
    3. How many types of radiators out there for my car? Someone mentioned something like single-core and double core types, which type should mine be?

Thanks a million!

P/S I live in central Jersey.
  • djohnson64djohnson64 Member Posts: 43
    I have a 1991 Legend LS, and I'm interested in buying a cover for the rear seats.
    Does anyone know where I can buy one?
    Thanks in advance for your help.
    David
  • chrisgillischrisgillis Member Posts: 2
    I have contacted nearly everybody associated with Acura and nobody can seem to supply me with factual information on the differences between the 1991-95 Legend Sedans. I want to make sure I am getting the best car for the money and considering I have to drive nearly 150 miles to check them out, I want to know exactly I'm driving to look at. Where can I get this information?
    Eom
  • ghostalicaghostalica Member Posts: 2
    I believe you are burning coolant...or would blue smoke indicate oil? Hmm...I forget...anyway...if your car is around the 130k mark...you may have a headgasket failure...it is not uncommon.
  • ghostalicaghostalica Member Posts: 2
    first...you need to relax. The 'factual' differences between the years are small. Some of the 'factual' differences are the engines...type I, or type II...cupholder...airconditioner. Thats pretty much it...everything else is close enough to be the same...most of the variation is with the trim. Any second generation sedan you want to get is going to be good. Not much changed because the change wasn't needed. the type II engine came out with the GS model...maybe some later LS models too?...not sure...GS...is the 'sportier' more powerful legend...if you find one in good condition...consider yourself lucky...especially a 6 speed. Cupholder...I think most or all have them...I dont. AC...EPA regulations forced car makers to use a different refridgerant. anything else?
  • chrisgillischrisgillis Member Posts: 2
    What's the difference between the L and the LS. I did a price search and found that the L is worth more than the LS in both Edmunds and Kelly Blue Book? Why the difference? Isn't the LS the more "luxurious" model?
    you are correct the LS is the HIGHER model, and should be priced at a premium over the L model. Did you compare 4 door sedan or coupe models? What year?
    Ghostalica - thanks for the input. The smoke is positively blue which indicates oil is being burnt. The coolant level has not dropped any. I don't think the head gasket is shot yet. I have made an appointment with my mechanic and he is going to do a compression test. I feel this will shed light on the problem.
  • pollard2pollard2 Member Posts: 3
    Looking for a little help on error code E-01. Don't feel the need to take it to Acura. But I can't figure out how to even get the bugger open. Any thoughts would be great.

PS- 102K, still runs like a dream,
  • jluallinjluallin Member Posts: 1
    Hurricane: I'll never remeber my password, so please reply to me at: jluallin@aol.com
    Was curious what you mechanic said. I too have a smoke problem. Checked the compression by my mechanic and it was good. He said the valve seals and ring seals are probably shot, recommended a $5K rebuild - ouch! Tried "smoke fix" addetive and "engine restore" along with Valvoline MaxLife. Seen some improvement. Please let me know what you discover. Thanks, jluallin@aol.com
  • needalegendneedalegend Member Posts: 1
    Want to test drive a '92 with 75k miles. One owner. Asking $8,500 not sure yet if it is a L or LS. Always loved the Legend. Is it worth selling a Camry worth relatively the same to buy a used car that I am not familiar with the history? Is a '92 OK or should I look for newer? What are some common problems to look for? What is the year breaks for change in body style? Thanks in advance for any help!
  • daveingvadaveingva Member Posts: 2
    Hi there,

First time poster, but a grateful reader of recent months.

I live in Switzerland and am about to buy my first Legend. I've got two cars under consideration, one a 1995, the other 1996. I'd be grateful for some advice or comments from this group about my best purchase. Here's the details....sorry to say I can't give a trim designation for either vehicle at the moment because they are both sight unseen and known here as Honda, as opposed to Acura Legends:

1995 (Sept) Honda Legend 3.2i
    54,000 miles
    5 speed
    No CD, original timing belt and water pump
    $9,000

1996 (Aug) Honda Legend 3.5i
    71,000 miles
    Automatic
    CD, new timing belt and water pump
    $10,700

Both cars are the sedan models (wife and 2 kids, you know), and according to the sellers are in mint shape with no electronic problems etc.

Obviously there's a difference in displacement with the two engines, although the horsepower is identical. Not sure if the larger engine in the 96 model translated into some gain in torque, or other advantage....kind of why I'm posting here is to get input on those kinds of things.

So, what's the story with the '95 versus '96 models? The exterior lines of the car seemed to have changed quite a bit during these two years,and obviously the engine size changed as well. Did the new engine in the '96 model experience some teething problems and is it a year to be avoided? Which of these two cars would you guys here opt for and why?

Thanks for any help I can get on this,

Dave Meddings
  • petpadpetpad Member Posts: 153
    Hey sirik - a bit late to answer here for you, but in any case, the Vigor can be expected to be as good looking and as reliable as any Legend, simply because they were very close. I own a 92 Vigor, and several hundred Vigor owners can answer all your questions in our clubhouse which is hosted by Yahoo. First go to acuravigorclub.com , and then click on the Yahoo link for the clubhouse.
  • rick_liangrick_liang Member Posts: 1
    Is there anyone know if there are some difference between these yesrs models on tail lights?

I think there are some difference, based on what I saw on the road. Later model got more brighter points..

If you know some, please let me know... Thanks.
    rick_liang@hotmail.com