Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Corolla

Comments

• toyotaboyesl1toyotaboyesl1 Member Posts: 38
    Hello, I am new on this board. I am am young teen looking at possible cars to get when I get a driver's license. I have always liked the new '03 Corolla and still think it will make the perfect car for me. I also really like the new Camry. Anyway, I thought this would be a good board to come discuss the car and compare it to others. I have a question, How is the stereo system in the new Corolla? Is it pretty high quality? Is it good with bass? (I like rap music and want my car to be able to "thump" with it). Also, does anybody know much about the Matrix? I like it too, but not quite as much as the Corolla. One last question: If I get a Corolla LE, would you recommend a manuel or automatic transmission?
    Thanks!
  • britton2britton2 Member Posts: 305
    I'm sorry to hear about your Corolla engine trouble - that stinks! Just wondering - how often was the oil changed - every 3K? every 5K? thanks
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    It really depends on your personal preference. Automatics tend to be easier to find and resell because more people choose them, but you're the one who has to drive the car before you resell it. If you like driving a stick, try the 5-speed on the Corolla--I thought it was fine when I test-drove it on the LE. It shifted OK and was responsive. When I went for my test drive, the 5-speed was the only LE left on the lot. Because they're less popular, you might be able to get a deal on one.
    Yeah, I guess it does depend on my prefrence, that is something I have yet to find out! The few cars that I have gotten to drive (I don't even have a learner's permit yet) have all been automatics, a manuel just seems funner because you can make the engine rev higher. But don't manuels usually have problems and more to maintain? I know most people with sports cars that have stick shifts are always getting their clutch repaired or something is wrong with their transmission, its always something. I don't know about a new sedan like the Corolla, has anybody had any problems with stick shift Corollas? Just let me know anything.
  • dave594dave594 Member Posts: 218
    Manuals are cheaper, more fun to drive, and require much less maintenance. The only big $$$ maintenance you need on a manual is to replace the clutch, and most can last about 100k or more miles if you don't drive like an idiot.

Just my two cents worth - my 02's stick is very smooth shifting, the throw may be a little long, and not very sporty, for some people, but it's fine for me. I just like to drive a stick for more control over my car.
    Wow, I didn't know that. How is an automatic more expensive to mantain than a manuel. We have never had any problems what so ever on our 1997 Camry or our 1993 Tercel. I am not completly sure about how a manuel works, I mean, why do you have to replace the clutch at all? What happens to it to make it have to be replaced. I know that we bought a 1976 ChevyVan10 that is a stick and it does have problems (the gears slip and don't catch a lot just because it is so old), but we havn't haad to change the clutch. You say they last for about 100k? Well, if that is true, I won't even worry because the most I would keep it for would be maybe 200k. How much does it cost to get a clutch replaced on a 2003 Corolla (or Matrix)? I will either get a 2003 Corolla LE 5-speed or a 2003 Matrix (base or XR depending on what I can afford) 5-speed. Do you think that is a good set up fo those cars?
    BTW, is there really anything that important on the Corolla S that is not on the LE? I have noticed that the S is a lot more popular in my area, but I don't see why. They aren't really any cheaper than the LE and the LE really gets a lot of nice useful luxurios features.
    Manuals start off several hundred bucks less MSRP than automatics. Because they are less popular than automatics, you can often get a better deal on them. So upfront cost will defintely be less. Automatics must have the fluid flushed and filled at regular intervals--I don't know the recommended service for the Corolla. A manual should last 100k or more without maintenance if you treat it right. The main wear item is the clutch pressure plate. To replace that can run a few hundred bucks at a dealer. Since this would be your first stick shift, you may wear out the clutch earlier than an experienced driver, so factor that in. You can crunch the numbers all you want, but in the long run I think it comes down to which one you like to drive the most. One piece of advice: if you will be driving mostly in stop-and-go traffic, you may regret getting a stick shift.
  • mpynempyne Member Posts: 120
    did you refuse the car??? i would have told them to stick the car up their you know what!!!! i know toyota wont do anything for you either except tell you its a dealer problem.
    Hello again everybody, I guess I will be leaving this forum because looks like I will no be getting a car when I turn 15 or 16 for that matter! My mom is giving me all this crap about I just need to get it through my head that I am not getting a car. She said she doesn't have money to waste on something that I am just going to destroy, heck she said she wouldn't let me drive her crappy old 1998 Camry. Bullcrap that is because she just let me drive it around the block with her in it too a our grandmother's house! She said she didn't get her first car until she was 19 and she bought it herself. I am thoughrolly pissed off at the the whole world and everyone in it right now. Any suggestions on a good CHEAP used car? A JAPANESE car make that! I have noticed that 1995-1998 Avalons are pretty cheap, would they be a pretty good car for a teen? Don't say Tercel, Civic, Corolla, Sentra, or Protege either; if I have to get a cheapo old used car, it's gonna be a nice cheapo old used car. I can't believe this, my evening has been nicely RUINED!
  • sandman46sandman46 Member Posts: 1,798
    Seems like it's time for you to grow up a little. First, why is it that your mom should buy you a car, why couldn't you have been saving up money for many years to buy one or at least help towards the purchase of one. Second, some of us in the "real world" are very happy with our Corollas and Proteges. They happen to be nice cars which we are happy with. And at your age, a more affordable car is what you really need, not one "to look cool in"!
    Obviously your mom is a very smart woman and knows that you need to grow up and take some responsibility before you get behind the wheel! My hat goes off to her. Try changing your attitude and act more responsible and you just might be surprised what happens.
    Remember, driving is a privilige(?) and not a right.

The Sandman :-)

(P.S. I have a 17 year old and a 16 year old who just got their licenses(?) last month and they are quite happy to be able to drive any car!)
    I agree with you on that, I do need to grow up and believe it or not, you just made me feel a little better. I do need to get some things off my mind first: I DO NOT care about looking cool any more. I mean, how many kids do you know would think of a used Avalon as a "cool" car. I don't care, it is just a nice affordable and enjoyable car for me, I don't care what others think. Yes my mom is very smart and I know she is teaching me right, I just don't always want to accept it. I just have mood swings and she caught me at a bad time, I time when my mind was thinking negative, negative, and more negative. Also, I am sure you do like your Corollas, Proteges, Civics, etc. but you are thinking of the newer models. Oh yeah, I would be thrilled to own a 2000-2003 Civic, Protege, whatever; but not an old 1990-1995! If I have to get something used, it will be at least a nice, loaded, mid-sized sedan.
    BTW, do your kids have a car yet? Just curious. Also, seriously, do you have any other suggestions on a good used car?
  • coolguyky7coolguyky7 Member Posts: 932
    1998-99 Avalons look best. Toyotaboyes, you're only 13, there's plenty of time to wait. Besides, you said both parents are out of jobs? Hmmm, do you think that could have any matter in what your mom told you about wasting money like that? Be realistic.
    but 4 years ago, I bought a '96 Corolla DX(the '98's had just came out) and I was very happy to get what I got. It had 18k miles on it and it did and still drives pretty nicely. All I needed was power windows and power locks and I was happy. The car has served me and the family well and I bought it for a cash price of $10,200. My girls prefer this over their mothers '01 Nissan Altima, go figure.
    No, my girls do not and will not have their own cars until they graduate college. I only got a car to USE in my senior year of high school because of the death of my grandfather, and then I had to buy it while in college from my folks. My folks didn't need the money, my dad retired at age 47 and money was not a problem for him, ever. He just wanted us to learn the value of working and buying something for yourself without it being handed to you.
    The point of all this, you're on the right track now so keep going. You will definitely value the things you earn in life more than what is given!
    Sorry this is so long, I don't mean to preach.
    Good luck and keep us posted!

That's ok, I like reading long posts, it's not near as long as a lot of mine. Wow, if I were your girls, I would surely like to drive the Altima over the Corolla; although, Corollas are simply nice little cars to have. Right now, I think that a 2002 Mazda Protege would be the right car for me. It is small, affordable, and safe. If I get lucky maybe a Protege5. But then again (as someone's motto around here says): "these wheels are better than no wheels". Yeah, I guess I am just 13 and a half so I still got time to think about it, make more money, and let the prices on some of these cars I want fall.
    Also, coolguyky7, my parents aren't out jobs completly. My mom just has to finish her course on real estate to get her realators license. We have a friend in the family that is a real estate broker and co-ownes our local Century 21 Real Estate place that is going to hire her once she gets her license. So we are considering that a done deal, she basically has a job, just no income right now. Also, my dad is working on his own home improvement business (he paints, pressurewashes, landscapes, and is working on becoming a home inspector). As you can tell, my family likes houses. They have passed that on to me too, I am going to be either an architect or a realator. That is both good and bad, it is good because they do spend plenty of money on a nice house to show off (we have a nice big (our first 2-story) house in the middle of the rich section of town and everyone passes by it because it is on a main street). But, at the same time, what do we have to park in front of this big pretty house; nope not Lexuses and BMWs like everyone else in our neighborhood, a Camry, an old beat up Tercel, and an ancient Chevyvan10. So, I am not sure which is better! But, most realators make lots of $$$, so that will be good. My mom is always saying how she needs to lose a little more weight because realators are supposed to dress nice and stuff; and then I tell her, well realators are supposed to drive Lexuses and other luxury cars too. That is true, she is friends with other realators and they all have a Lexus, an Acura, a M-B, or a nice little sports car. She says she does want to get the 2002 Lexus ES300 when she gets the money, so does my dad. So I have them convinced that that is the car, now one problem: getting the money!
  • corolla_grlcorolla_grl Member Posts: 17
    Here is my take on it all....my first car was a toyota camry automatic...great car to learn to drive in because I was already nervous about the whole experience....I didnt need the added pressure of a stick shift. Also with a car full of friends it was great to be able to drive and talk and not have to worry about gears and what not. And also my parents were allowing me to use it as a trade in eventually for a new car. Autos have higher resale value since a lot of ppl dont drive stick.

My second car was a honda civic dx 5-speed. It was great to learn how to drive a manual transmission incase one day I had to drive one for a friend or family member....but after 2 yrs of owning that piece of crap car the clitch went out. When a clutch goes out they cost about 3-6,000 dollars to replace. Just depends on how much damage there is to the clutch unit. But its like riding a bike...once you learn you never forget.

Now on my 3rd car the 2003 s corolla I again have an automatic. I have a baby on the way so I need to pay attention to the road and flying binkis not what gear I am in. Also 5speeds suck in stop and go traffic. You are always up and down shifting and wearing out the clutch system not a good thing!

But I dont think I will ever own a clutch again. Less to worry about with automatics...less matienace and less money in the long run. And for an automatic this corolla has some pep to it! I out did a civic si that had some foreign engine getting onto the freeway that was 2 lanes and soon turned into one. That car was left in the dust. I was pretty amazed :)

Oh and Toyota...I dont think I knew a kid in my high school that got a new car when they turned 16. I had a really nice used car. My kids arent getting a new car either. With all the friends you pack into it...road trips....eating in the car...ect...that new car is going to look used in about 3 months. With a used you dont have to worry about such high car payments or getting it dirty. Teenagers dont appreciate a car until they have to buy it. When i bought my civic I washed it every week...and maintained it very well...same with my new corolla...with my used camry at first I kept it clean and then eh it was a car...I had better things to do with my time. Just be glad you are getting a car!!!!!
  • mcdawggmcdawgg Member Posts: 1,722
    The Corolla is great with either transmission, but...
    IF you use the clutch/transmission properly, it will be much less maintenance in the long run. My old '89 had 140k miles on the original clutch (it still was fine when I sold it), and I changed the transmission fluid once (at 85k miles). This car was about 65% city miles. Automatics generally should have trans fluid changed every 30k, and even then they are more trouble-prone. But Toyota automatics are generally VERY reliable (just like the rest of the car.) Even if you wear out a clutch it will be around $600 to replace.
    For me, I'd much rather have a stick, because it just is more fun to drive, even in traffic. Granted, in REALLY heavy stop and go traffic, it can get tiring, but for the times I'm not in bad traffic, it's worth it.
    Make sure if you go with a stick that you are driving it properly. One person I know complained that her clutch died after 50k miles and she swore she was using the clutch properly. Guess what, I rode with her one day and she wasn't - constantly slipped the clutch, among other sins. A manual will be the most reliable if driven properly.
    And I don't have to think about what gear to be in, etc. Yes, some people hate sticks, you just have to find out for yourself.
    Resale value - sticks less, but they are about $900 cheaper new, which makes auto and stick about the same in the long run. It took a little longer to sell my old '89, because many people wanted it until they found out it was stick. I sold it to the highest offer (I had 2 offers in two weeks).
    When a lady was looking at it when I was at the store one day, she liked it until she noticed it was stick. I convinced her to learn, and she said ok - if I taught her! I said okay, but only after she bought it. Well, she had her mechanic check out the car (she paid me $30 to drive it to and from her mechanic), then made me a great offer! I accepted, knowing I would have to spend the time teaching her, but it was still a great deal for me. Well, it wasn't a pleasant experience for my good old car (jerking, stalling, grinding, etc.), but it was her car. I wonder what happened to her and the car??
  • jeproxjeprox Member Posts: 466
    in my opinion, i think it really depends on personal preference. we just picked-up our 5 speed 03' about 2 weeks ago and it's great. the stick is not as smooth as a honda stick but overall, it's great.

you save C$1000 by buying stick. in our case, i used that money for undercoat, alarm, insurance. etc. yes, it can be a pain driving a stick in stop/go traffic but i personally believe it's just a matter of getting used to it. i like driving stick so it doesn't make any difference whether stick or auto for me.

there were some instances when i wished i had ordered the auto 03' corolla but oh well... just gotta live with it and learn. same thing applies to auto tranny, there will be some instances when you wish you had a stick. :)

i guess bottom line would be to test drive both and see which one you like best.
    I can't see how an auto will cost less to maintain than a manual. Every 2 years or so, you need to have the auto tranny fluid replaced. These days they recommend you get the tranny flush, which runs about $150-$200 a pop. Over 5 years that'll cost you almost $1000. The manual may require that the oil be replaced, but that's a minor job. The clutch at about $600 isn't as much as the auto tranny service over that time, and some clutches last longer than 100k.

Things you can do to prolong your manual tranny include not riding the clutch, hard acceleration, and slipping the clutch. I drive my car in DC traffic, about as bad as it gets. Doesn't really bother me at all, I've gotten used to it.
  • dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    To the 15 year old who thinks a '96 is too old - I drive a '90 (Integra) and it runs like a top. It even looks new. Don't disount a car just because of its age. There are many well maintained older cars that are quite affordable.

Re manual vs auto tranny.

The price difference is more than a few hundred dollars. It is usually $800-1,000. Take that $1,000 and invest it wisely (not stocks ;^) and it will more than double over the usefull life of the car.

The manual may be slightly more work to use, but not much. Kinda like talking is a little more work while you are walking. It just becomes second nature. I have been driving manuals for nearly 25 years and there is no effort to it at all.

The manual tranny will be more responsive.

The manual tranny will get better gas mileage.

The manual tranny will handle slightly better (because it loses about 80 lbs from the nose)

A manual that is not abused will not wear out for a very long time. I have never even replaced a clutch, and this includes a half dozen vehicles that have had close to 200,000 miles. My father had a Corolla with 220,000 miles on the original clutch (the clutch was still fine, but the timing belt broke). Use a clutch properly and it won't let you down.

A manual is better in the snow - more control, and easier to rock if you get stuck.

A manual can be push started if your battery dies.

A manual is more fun.

A manual is proactive not reactive - it is in the exact gear you want exactly when you want it there. An automatic takes its best guess.

A manual is not sequential - can shift from 5th right to third.

A manual means people will be less likely to borrow your car, and also less likely to steal it.

If a manual has so many advantages, they why do so many people buy automatics? One reason is more profit for the dealer as it is more expensive and there is more margin. More likely though it is the same reason we will look for the remote for 10 minutes before we would get up to change the channel, or would drive 20 minutes in traffic each way to use the treadmill at the health club instead of just going for a 40 minute run. Is it any wonder we are getting so waistline challenged as a nation.

Automatics have their place, especially for the elderly and handicapped, but a young person learning to drive should take advantage of all of the benefits of a manual. And just think of the killer stereo you could buy with the money you save.
    Wow, you might just have me convinced! I think a manuel sounds like a great idea. I will say this, I am going to be in stop and go traffic (I am not in a really big city so no big expressways or anything and they insist on continuing to put a dumb old red light at every single intersection). I hate to sound dumb, but what does "slipping the clutch" mean?
    Also, Corolla_grl, I am not like most teens. I won't be carrying too many people in my car (to be blunt, I am soft-spoken and don't have a ton of friends), and my number two rule for passengers in my car will be NO EATTING! (number one rule will be buckle up and shut up!) Sorry, I am not a mean person, I just want to pamper my car! BTW, what year was your Camry? I am most likely going to be learning on a 1997 Camry for a few months when I get my learner's permit.
  • corolla_grlcorolla_grl Member Posts: 17
    Well when I just bought my toyota corolla they took off the 1,000 dollars because no dealer in the area had a 5-speed and no one was getting them soon so they were not about to charge me 1k extra for a car that no one had. They only charged me 100 bucks to have the auto. So I got my car for the same price as a manual with all the goodies. If you bargin you can take that 1k off.

As far as flushing every 2 yrs...I never did that on my toyota camry and it lasted 10 yrs with about 114,000 or so miles on it. All i ever did was change the oil, tires, brakes, and one hose that cracked. I never raced my honda and I drove the clutch gently and it still went out.

I'd rather only have to go in for a 30-60 min job of flushing fluids than a 2-4 day leave my car in the shop so the clutch can be fixed.

And about the whole stealing the car thing if its an automatic...then why is the honda civic manual the top 3rd stollen car in the US??? With the Honda Accord manual the top stollen car. People could care less what type it is...all the car about it after market (black market) sales to make a profit off of your lost car. Car theived can drive any type of car...manual or auto.

Toyotaboy...Mine was an 89 camry xle (it had all the goodies including lumbar seats which I wish came standard). Great car...roomy....no maintenace problems.
    You never even changed the ATF in 114,000 miles? Then I really pity the person who bought the car from you. The minimum you should do is to drain the transmission and put in new ATF every 30k miles, as it's called for by the owner's manual.
  • saturnfansaturnfan Member Posts: 40
    Had learned stick in the 60's on an old CJ-5 Jeep with no synchros in any gear but then had automatics for quite a few years.

Went back to stick in a 92 Sentra for price, and got caught up with it again after a short relearning period. Had several sticks since then both Mazda and Saturn.

Test drove the 03 Corolla CE with both stick and auto. Stick had a lot more pep especially if you used the A/C. Really enjoyed the positive feel of the tranny and made sure I got the stick in mine even though it needed to come from the factory.

Really enjoy the great city mileage and, as stated by others, the saving on stick vs auto more than covers a clutch. I drive conservatively, so anticipate long service w/o clutch replacement.
    Do the corollas still come with the 3 speed auto in the CE? If that's so, definitely take the manual over the 3 speed auto. Big difference in gas mileage and performance, and engine noise at highway speed.
    2003 corolla's don't come with 3 speed auto anymore. they have 4 speed w/OD
  • xcelxcel Member Posts: 1,025
    Hi All:

___In regards to purchasing an Auto or Manual, make sure you understand that when or if you try to sell your vehicle, only ~ 10 – 15% of the population even knows how to drive a manual and the numbers are shrinking. You get more out of the hole punch, cheaper up front costs, and lower maintenance/slightly higher mileage if you have any maintenance at all but is it worth it? Do you really need more out of the hole punch or should you consider a more powerful vehicle? The 03 Corolla w/ Automatic is a snappy vehicle when you step on the gas so if you are always driving with the accelerator to the floor, you might as well get a manual since your vehicle won’t last 3 years anyway :)

___As for reliability of an Auto, I achieved 162,000 miles on a Mercury Sable LS (long gone) and currently have 167,000 on a Toyota Previa LE – both with Auto and no transmission problems on either whatsoever. Both were purchased new. It is during the final sale that you may just wish you had that automatic the whole time. That and the tens to hundreds of thousands of shifts you will have performed w/ the manual vs. the hundreds to thousands for the auto.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
    ___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
    ___Waynegerdes@earthlink.net
  • superman5superman5 Member Posts: 154
    what is the paint code for WHITE 2003 toyota corollw LE?
  • mcdawggmcdawgg Member Posts: 1,722
    Wow! Corollagrl never had the auto tranny fluid changed on the Camry? Toyota reliability is amazing! I have always read and heard that Toyota automatics are the best. Corollagrl got a GREAT deal on a new Corolla - I guess that shoots down one of my advantages of a manual tranny, but I still couldn't have an auto and not change the tranny fluid every 30k miles. With my luck, it would die if I didn't.
    On the other hand, Toyota and Honda both make great stick-shifts, and sticks are GENERALLY more reliable. Maybe one in a million sticks would have a bad clutch, but as I said in post #2168 "One person I know complained that her Toyota Tercel's clutch died after 50k miles and she swore she was using the clutch properly. Guess what, I rode with her one day and she wasn't - constantly slipped the clutch, among other sins." And she never raced it and thought she was gentle with the clutch! The point is, I still just like driving stick better than auto, and but my wife HATES stick. Just find out what YOU like and buy it. As Corollagrl said, the overall cost can be about the same.
    If you go with an auto, I would change the fluid every 30k miles to be safe. (slightly increasing the cost of owning an automatic, but not by enough to worry about.)
    If you go with a stick, MAKE SURE you are driving it properly!! Have someone show you that has put at least 120k + miles on their original clutch, and have them ride with you after a month to be sure you are still driving it properly.
    Well, I don't have much to say, I guess it all boils down to the same thing, get whichever you perfer. Sounds like neither autos or sticks are any better than the other. Do you guys know much about the Matrix? I have always liked the looks of that thing and have recently saw two on the road; they look great.
    Also, what about stereo systems: Does the Corolla have a good stereo? A good bass? What about the Matrix?
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    petl --

Please drop me an e-mail at your earliest convenience: pat@edmunds.com.

Thanks!

Pat
    Sedans Host
  • jimbeaumijimbeaumi Member Posts: 620
    After putting 227K on my last 5-speed, and selling the car with the original clutch -- still operating beautifully -- I was sooooo glad to return to a 5-speed. I look forward to many miles on my current car.
    that is truely amazing! 227k on the original clutch?!?! What kind of car was it? I wish all 5-speeds could do that!
  • nikolaikinnikolaikin Member Posts: 17
    Just bought my 2003 Corolla couple days ago. DO I need to wax it right away or anything else to protect paint?
    Thanks for help.
    my friend have a 1989 camry station wagon, 5 speed. mileage is now at 260,000+kms. on the original clutch.

i dont think it makes much difference to wax it right away or not but it certainly won't hurt if you do wax the car right away.
    Only wax it right away, and regularly thereafter, if you care about the long-term appearance of your car. Clearcoat is paint. It weathers. Wax helps prevent the weathering of the clearcoat. The sooner you protect your car's paint with a coat of quality wax, the longer your car will look good. I've always waxed my new cars immediately upon driving home (when possible) and every 3-4 months thereafter, and as a result the paint on those cars has always had a like-new shine even after 7-8 years of Minnesota weather (including tons of road salt in the winter). The other thing NOT to do is to take your car to car washes, manual or automatic, that use brushes. Only hand wash your car or use a "brushless" car wash. It will prevent the fine scratches that ruin a paint finish.
  • nikolaikinnikolaikin Member Posts: 17
    Backy, what wax you would recommend?
    I personally like Meguiars for Clear Coat finishes (liquid) as I believe it provides a great shine, especially on darker finishes, but there's other good ones out there. I've seen many posters swear by Zymol--never tried it though. I used to use NuFinish because it lasts a long time (also it's inexpensive), but Meguiars has a better shine and I don't mind waxing 3-4 times a year vs. twice a year.
  • britton2britton2 Member Posts: 305
    I use Eagle One's Wax as U Dry on my '01 Corolla - it works great and is really a time saver - I recommend all of Eagle One's Products -
    mother's clay bar system - the best for any car paint.
  • jimbeaumijimbeaumi Member Posts: 620
    I put 227K on my 1987 Mercury Lynx GS. Remember the original Escort? The 1.9 liter engine was second generation powerplant for that decidely low-tech first generation Escort/Lynx platform. Most problems went away AFTER the extended warranty ran out at 60K. First major repair at 191K.
    anyone know a website or the actual paint code for 2003 corolla WHITE ?
  • jrct9454jrct9454 Member Posts: 2,363
    If you actually own such a car, the paint code is on the sticker on the driver's door jamb. Under the bar code is a line labeled C/TR, [Color/Trim], and the first number after that is the paint code.

If you don't own the car, any Toyota parts dept will be more than happy to look it up for you, I'm sure.
    I don't own the car, I have an IS, it is for my g/f's car, but her car isn't here and I want to pick it up for her. pars department guy told me I need to know the part number order to get it , he said he can't find it =(
  • steveb84steveb84 Member Posts: 187
    2003 Corolla's are Super White, code 040
    Or anyone else with a 96-97 Corolla...does your steering wheel start to shake around 70 mph? Mine does.
    It did shake between 75 to 85 but a rebalance of all 4 wheels cured that problem. I bought my Dayton tires at a place where I got lifetime balancing and they will do it every day if I want!

thank you steveb84
    Thanks Sandman.
    How's the car holding up otherwise? Mine is doing great at 62k but my 2 girls are driving it now also. I plan to change the timing belt and the water pump within the next 6 to 8 months. I also will have the rear struts checked because with 2 of my 3 kids in back, the car seems lower than it should be. When I do the bounce test on the empty car though, everything seems normal. Time will tell. The kids actually want me to buy the new Corolla and give them mine for school and such but will hold off at this time. I really don't like to buy the first year run of a car model anyways.

You sound just like my father, he never wants to buy the first year for a new style. I have heard only good things about the new Corolla though, I guess we will see if that holds true in about a year from now. I think I actually have him convinced though, that the new Corolla LE is a good deal, he also likes the Matrix. So when are Tercel dies, we will get one or the other, not sure which one yet. We also might try to get the new Camry, they like it (my parents have always been fans of the Camry) except my mom thinks the back of it is ugly. I don't know why, she says the same about the Matrix. It would be nice if we could go ahead and get the Camry I think. The 1996 1997 Corollas were nice too, I just don't like the 1998-2002 models.