Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Corolla

Comments

• smallcar1smallcar1 Member Posts: 76
    I live in Brooklyn, NY. I know that the Corolla gets geat fuel economy on the open highway but how many MPG can I expect in stop and go city driving with lights and stop signs at best and heavy traffic at worst?
  • jaxs1jaxs1 Member Posts: 2,697
    Does anyone know if any aftermarket AUX and iPod adapters fit both the standard stereo and the top line JBL system that includes the 6-disc CD changer in the 2007 Corolla?
    I know USASpec makes some adapters, but it isn't clear if it works with the JBL system in the Corolla.
    Where are the power ports located and do any of the them still work when the key is out of the ignition so you could leave a cell phone charging in the car while you park?
    Anyone use the A/C in temps over 100 degrees? Is it a weak air conditioning system or adequate?
  • danielj6danielj6 Member Posts: 285
    I've had my Corolla for a little over two years now and consistently get 25 MPG city in winter and summer. During the hot months I try to do without the a/c except for the recent heat wave. I drive easy without flooring or jack rabbit starts. I also live in Bklyn NY.
  • smallcar1smallcar1 Member Posts: 76
    Do you drive mostly city? In my '96 Altima I get around 25 mpg when a drive on the highway a lot but in mostly city driving I will get 19-20 mpg.

Somehow I didn't think in Brooklyn that we would get the 35 mpg being reported by those in other places.
  • danielj6danielj6 Member Posts: 285
    During the current Summer season and due to work reasons I've been doing a lot of city driving. When I drive on the highway I can get a bit over 30 MPH. Sometimes driving on the highway you hit traffic, but keeping it at 50-60 I have gotten 32 MPH. Through Bklyn streets and driving easy as I explained in my previous post, I've been getting 25 MPH. You know how tough it is to drive here. By driving easy I don't mean going more slowly than the flow of traffic.

I would think that your Nissan Altima has more horse power than my Corolla and therefore is thirstier. Because BP is shutting down its refinery in the US get ready to pay $4 a gallon in NY.
  • autoboy16autoboy16 Member Posts: 992
    Earlier this summer i wrote about my trip to atlanta in a corolla rental. It was an 06 LE with auto and a 6 disk changer. The ac was great. When passing through Valdosta, GA, the corolla's external thermometer was reading 104ºF. IT WAS HOT!!! But luckily the ac in the corolla felt like the temperature was in the mid-high 70s. Did i mention we got from South Miami to Atlanta on 1 1/2 tank of gas and only cost $45?

Not bad, eh? The map shows from Miami to jacksonville and thats where we put in the 1/2 a tank. :shades: That got us from orange park to atlanta!

ps: we were going 70-90mph the whole time and the car handled excellent!!

-Cj :shades: :shades:
  • sherndzsherndz Member Posts: 1
    I've just had this car over a year, it has given me problems but I still love it. My dad bought it at an auction. Right now, its having problen with the steering- it needs another alignment, the muffler makes noise when I increase speed... and thats it. But before! New water pump, balljoints, entire exhaust got replaced, tires got worn out easily, new axles and so much more. But luckily it has never left me stranded! I would never buy a new car for this one. I only wish it could speed faster. All i need to do now is update the sound system, re- paint it at Maaco, tint the glass and its all good! This car is in memory of the car that was going to be lended to me by my dad. It was also a Toyota Corolla but from the year 1986. Sadly some bandits decided to set it on fire. These cars are still around because they are that good. :) :shades:
  • kero1kero1 Member Posts: 154
    Hi, with regards to your car and it's problems, the main thing I can see is that the car was purchased at auction and you and your farther do not know the car's history with regards to accident, service, abuse, etc etc.

Sounds like this car was in an accident from the problems you are describing. Much to many problems for a corolla to have unless it had an accident.

My wife has had corolla's all the way back to 1986. She has had an 86, 95, 01, 04 and now a 05. Mainly trading due to redesigns with regards to sizes and safety features. Never have we had to change anything close to the things you mention.

Did your dad do a CARFAX on the car before purchasing?? If not, the car was most likely hit and or damaged then repaired before he got it.

Auctions are not a great place to buy unless you are truely an expert in spotting damage and or repairs and things of that nature.

Way to much has been fixed on this car for it to be mint from auction.

Cars go to auction for a reason!!!

Don't let this experience ruin your feeling on corollas because they are super reliable and funny, normally very quiet other than a little engine thrash at high RPM.

If you had a new one, I mean purchased new regardless of year, you would love it!
  • aznvtrydahaznvtrydah Member Posts: 4
    I notice that the majority of the corollas do not have ABS. I talked to a dealer and they told me that since corolla's are lighter compared to some other cars, ABS would not be much of a factor. Is this true? Has anyone have any problems with braking from a close distance inbetween traffic? thanks
  • barnee61barnee61 Member Posts: 67
    Your dealer is spinning a tale. Corollas are subject to the same laws of physics as any other vehicle. The advantages of ABS include shorter stopping distances in panic stops, especially on slippery surfaces (snow/ice), plus you retain steering control because the wheels don't lock up.

As you state, most Corollas don't have it, although I imagine that will change when they bring out the new 08 model (as many new vehicles in the compact class are now including it as standard).
    Steering control while using maximum braking force is the biggest advantage.
    There are some scenarios where braking with your wheels locked without ABS could give you a lower total braking distance, but skidding out of control with with locked wheels isn't all it's cracked up to be.
  • aznvtrydahaznvtrydah Member Posts: 4
    thanks guys, i appreciate your insights. However, I dont understand why corolla dont have these as standards anyways? It makes it so much easier rather than choosing options/looking for models that are equipped with it. This is the only complaint that i have when comparing the civic and the corollas.
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Corolla doesn't have ABS standard because that was unusual in the economy sedan class way back in 2002 when the current Corolla debuted. As noted earlier, the 2008 Corolla could very well have ABS standard because some competitors have it standard, including Civic and the '07 Elantra.
  • grandtotalgrandtotal Member Posts: 1,207
    Corolla doesn't have ABS standard because that was unusual in the economy sedan class way back in 2002 when the current Corolla debuted.

That's really an irrelevant point because if Toyota can fit ABS to some Corollas they could fit it to all. It's a question of cost and perception in the market place. If nobody bought Corollas without ABS you can be sure that they would all appear with ABS.
    It's a question of cost and perception in the market place.

Actually that was my point, but stated in a different way.

If nobody bought Corollas without ABS you can be sure that they would all appear with ABS.

I don't understand your point. Tons of people bought Civics before they had ABS standard. (Until 2006, you couldn't even get ABS on many Civics, even as an option.) So why did Honda add ABS to all '06 Civics as standard equipment? Also, lots of people buy Elantras now. Still, Hyundai made ABS standard on the 2007 Elantra.
  • joecarnutjoecarnut Member Posts: 215
    It works great!
    We just drove through the Mojave desert running the a/c in 100+ degree temps and not only did the a/c work great, we got 38 mpgs to boot on a car that only had 840 miles on it.

My fellow passenger kept asking me to turn the a/c down as I do like it cold.
    The engine temp stayed the same as any other day, right before the half way line.
    We went up some decent hills in the heat and no problems either.
  • sandman46sandman46 Member Posts: 1,798
    We're in St. Louis and our rented '06 Corolla has icy a/c. Great seats to boot, but the rest of the car is just so so. Really time for the new version to show it's face. This car looks old & feels old compared to the Civic & Mazda 3. Am very anxious to see what they've come up with for '08.

The Sandman :):)
  • beernutbeernut Member Posts: 329
    I saw some '08 pictures somewhere on the web. Just search for 2008 Corolla and you'll find them too.

I need to buy another one in '07 and thought I'd wait for the '08 Corolla to come out so as to not have two that look the same (although I do love my '05 as is). After seeing the pictures (yuk!) I've decided to not wait and buy the Civic - but not without looking at the Mazda 3 first.
  • cubssoxscubssoxs Member Posts: 139
    When is the 2008 Toyota Corolla coming out.
  • barnee61barnee61 Member Posts: 67
    The redesigned Corolla is already on sale in Japan. Will arrive in North America sometime later....I would guess spring or summer 2007. Along with the sedan, which will be called the Corolla Axio, they're introducing a station wagon, called the Corolla Fielder.

Will be built on the same chassis and wheelbase as the existing Corolla. The styling, to me, is disappointing...very bland and ho hum, compared with the Yaris Sedan and the new Camry. I don't think anyone will be holding their breath waiting in anticipation, except maybe those who have been hoping for a wagon version.

Here's a link to an Oct 11th story. If you google "2008 Corolla", you will find many others....

http://www.columbusdispatch.com/business-story.php?story=dispatch/2006/10/11/200- 61011-D2-00.html

Cheers
    Barnee
  • electrobuzzelectrobuzz Member Posts: 47
    In my best Fred Willard voice: "Wha' happened?"
    The current Corolla debuted for the 2003 MY so with Toyota's typical five-year cycle, no new Corolla would be expected until the 2008 MY.

I think we will see it here sometime in early 2007, since the 2003 model came out in early 2002 and it's already selling in Japan, but we'll have to wait and see.
  • electrobuzzelectrobuzz Member Posts: 47
    Thanks for the reply, Backy. I thought I read here somewhere that folks were anticipating a new design for the '07 model year. My Bad.

A bit of a tangent --- didn't the late 20th Century / early 21st Century Corolla look dang cool from the trunk view?? The letters on the back made it seem more pricey somehow. However, the increase in size in the newest generation is worth the slight tradeoff for potential perceived coolness of the previous.
    IMO the two best styles for the Corolla were the 1980-83 generation (the last generation to be all RWD) and the 1993-97 generation. I always thought the 1980 2-door sedan was especially sharp (maybe because I owned one), and reminded me of the little BMWs of the era. I liked the Corolla fastback and "sport" 2-door of that era also. There was also the SR5/GT-S hatchback from '84-'87 that was maybe the best-looking and most fun Corolla of all time.
  • bobw3bobw3 Member Posts: 2,989
    I'd like to see the next Corolla come out with more headroom (like the Versa or Fit), a 4dr hatch, and all of the safety features as standard. After test driving the Fit and Versa, and then going into something like a Civic or Corolla, I'm really sold on the more open feel when you're sitting in any seat, and the greater legroom in the second row. Or they could redesign the Yaris to the 4dr hatch design, full safety featurs, and normalize the dash!
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    This discussion has been reopened in accordance with this post: Sylvia, "Forums Software! Your Questions Answered..." #3319, 12 Nov 2006 2:43 pm. :)
  • fredvhfredvh Member Posts: 857
    Does anyone know if the 2 oil filters are interchangeable in the 2 available 2006 1.8L engines? Are the Toyota dealers using the same filter for both engines?
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    A reporter from a national news magazine is hoping to talk with consumers who have just downsized their vehicle from a SUV (preferably large) to a small, compact car. Please reply to ctalati@edmunds.com no later than Monday, December 4, 2006 with your daytime contact info.
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    Now they are saying there might well be a new sport 2-door version of the Corolla, when the '09 debuts in spring 2008. I would like to see that.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

That would be nice. But... what would it mean for the future of the tC? But Toyota needs something like that, though. Nothing like it in the lineup since they dumped the Celica. At one time, I think that was one of Toyota's leading sellers.
  • dandman1dandman1 Member Posts: 12
    hi
    any word when the new 08 is coming out, fall 07? spring 08?
    thanks
    dan
    Check out the "Future Toyota Corolla?" discussion here, it's all about your question. Looks like February 2008 is the date.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Here's the link: Future Toyota Corolla?
  • bottgersbottgers Member Posts: 2,030
    I test drove our secretary's '03 LE 5 speed yesterday. This was the first time I've driven the current generation Corolla (mine is a '99 model). I like everything about the car except for the fact the driver's seat doesn't go back far enough for me to get comfortable. I'm 6 foot tall and the seat seems like it needs to be able to go back about 3 or 4 more inches for me to get comfortable. I'm wondering if anyone has had the seat tracks lengthened in their's. It seems like it would be a fairly simple process to pull the seat tracks out of the car and take them to a machine shop and have them add about 4 inches. I don't know if you've ever seen them, but the seat tracks are actually a pretty simple design. They're basically a piece of square stock metal with a slit cut in the top and notches for locking the seat into a particular position. It seems to me a metal shop could fairly easily weld a 4" piece of square stock onto the tracks and cut the appropriate slits and notches to match the factory ones. This could probably be done for less than $100 (I would think anyway). Has anyone done this with '03 or newer Corolla?
  • jlawrence01jlawrence01 Member Posts: 1,757
    If you would put the seat back 3-4", would you be able to reach the steering wheel?

The one thing you would probably have to look at is the position of the seat belt tensioners before making that move.
  • bottgersbottgers Member Posts: 2,030
    Yes, I would easily (and actually more comfortably) be able to reach the steering wheel at 3-4 inches further back. Not sure about the belt tensioners though. I would have to check that.
  • ppcdc30ppcdc30 Member Posts: 18
    Does anyone have or had a rattle in the rear window by the rear speakers. It only does it when the car is warm. I hear it mostly on bumpy roads. It stops when it is cold outside? Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appriciated.
  • 91rollawagon91rollawagon Member Posts: 1
    Hi all, Newbie here.

can anyone tell me if a 1991 Corolla has a timing belt or Chain?

Thanks
  • mcdawggmcdawgg Member Posts: 1,722
    Belt - chains started in '98.
  • dewguy1999dewguy1999 Member Posts: 2
    Looking at getting a 2007 Corolla CE and would like to get the VIP Security System on it. Using Build and Price Your Toyota on Toyota.com with my Zip Code, the VIP Security System doesn't come up as part of any of the option packages or as an accessory for the CE, does that mean it's not available for the CE? It does come up for an LE or S though. Also, what's the difference between the RS3200 and the RS3200 plus versions? Thanks.
  • dchevdchev Member Posts: 38
    Hello dewguy1999,
    Your car has to have power windows, doors, and locks in order for you to install RS3200 or RS3200plus.
    RS3200 version is for cars without keyless entry, while RS3200 plus is for car with keyless entry.
    You can check this website: http://www.toyotapartspeople.com/SearchProduct.asp?Model=Corolla&catid=337429182- 3456520&year=07&productdesc=VIP+Security+System

The price is good. This is a Toyota Dealer from the West Cost. I used them last year for buying some accessories.
    Good luck. :)
  • dewguy1999dewguy1999 Member Posts: 2
    Hi dchev:
    The one we're looking at has the Upgrade Package (Power Windows & Power Door Locks) but no keyless enty so I guess we'd have to go with the RS3200. Now that we know it's an available accessory for the CE, I imagine we'll get it from the dealer when we buy the car. Thanks for the link, we'll probably use it before winter to get a set of All-Weather Floor Mats.
  • xpslayerxpslayer Member Posts: 2
    i am thinkin of buyin a 1990 toyota corola some body hole rust 4 500 bux. r they good cars? car seems mechanicaly fit...
  • dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    I had a 1990. Very reliable.
  • shaydshayd Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 Corolla CE, It does not have ABS(anti-lock braking system). I need/want to know if I can have it installed. I have seen the diffrence first hand when braking in severe weather with and without ABS. So I would like to think I can get them installed. I don't care if I have to go through some special auto shop or take it to a toyota dealer.
  • kiawahkiawah Member Posts: 3,666
    Trade-in time......get side airbags also. Should also seriously consider VSC as well.

None of these are dealer installed add-on's.
  • dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    You would be money ahead to buy a new Corolla. Can't really retrofit ABS very easily.
  • paradise07paradise07 Member Posts: 1
    I just got a 1999 toyota corolla today, and was wondering, what is the button above the gear shifter? I press it and it does nothing, soo, can anyone help me out? thanks