Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Corolla

Comments

• terceltom1terceltom1 Member Posts: 150
    NU-FINISH is very good for clearcoats as well. It cost only $4-$5 here in the US(maybe $50 in Canada-just kidding!!) No swirl marks when using this stuff.
  • old_guy_in_txold_guy_in_tx Member Posts: 12
    My dealer has quoted me $476.60 for the 30K service. This seems a little high. Flush radiator, replace oil/filter, service tranny, replace air filter, rotate tires, clean injectors. 1998 corolla auto. 1.8l eng. Only Dealer in town.. - Captive audience, Huh?
  • wenyuewenyue Member Posts: 558
    The dealer is trying to rip you off for some quick and easy money.

Look at the maintainance guide that came with your car, and do the maintainance that's required.

Radiator flush is pretty easy, and should not cost more than $30. Oil change and filter should be no more than $25, or you can do it yourself for less.

Tranny service? Is that tune up? I didn't know the tranny needs any tune up at just 30K. More likely just a change of tranny fluid. Again, cost is $30.

Tire rotation. You can get those for free at Discount Auto Tires (no purchase required). Or you can use some muscle and do it yourself in 15 minutes, again, no cost.

Air filter. God, a $3-4 parts that you can buy at any super market, and change it yourself, it's easy.

I don't know about cleaning injectors. Again, I didn't know that you need to do that at 30K, I could be wrong.

Over all, I would say that the 30K (36k) service should not cost your more than $150-$200 all parts and labor included at some 3rd party garage.

I think your dealer is trying to rip you off.
  • raychuang00raychuang00 Member Posts: 541
    Wenyue,

I think because the next-generation Corolla will be a bigger car than the current US model, it's likely that Toyota may bump up the engine displacement from 1.8 to 2.0 liters for the US market. That way, it'll likely have around 135-140 bhp engine output using the VVT-i valve train and still meet ULEV standards for emissions.
  • glenglenglenglen Member Posts: 37
    Why wouldn't Toyota just use the 1.8 liter engine used in the MR2 Spyder and as a base engine in the Celica? It generates about 140hp, so why would they need to develop a larger engine?
  • jrct9454jrct9454 Member Posts: 2,363
    Yeah, I have to agree: Toyota, in previewing the Pontiac Vibe and Toyota Matrix, has already told us what kind of engine the new Corolla will have, and that is 1.8 [shared with the Celica and MR2] with 130-180 hp, depending on tuning, cam design, and compression ratio. For the Corolla, expect the low end of the hp range, and the high end of the torque range, because this is what sedan buyers expect. The "special applications" like the "sportier" models will get higher hp at stratospheric rpm, but not have the low-end grunt that sedan buyers expect. Either way, I would not look for an engine larger than 1.8 liters at introduction time next year.
    Toyota will change the engine design yet. The 1ZZ-FE engine is an excellent design, and is simple, reliable, and powerful. Not only that, it also has a very high potentials.

I'm sure Toyota wants to get their money's worth out of a good engine design like that. Beside, even at 130 hp, it's besting most of the competitors.

Keeping cost down for the next Corolla is also a prime factor, since Toyota is making the car larger, adding more luxury features, and quitter. Designing a new engine will be counter productive, since that will sap money away from other areas.

I say, 130 hp is good enough. 135 hp would certainly be kick [non-permissible content removed]. But I'm more eager to see just how much more room the new North America corolla gets, see if they carry over the wood trim and fog lights in European and Asian model. How about a standard CD player? And maybe 15" rim and tires? Chrom door handle maybe? :)
  • tony1034tony1034 Member Posts: 32
    TCO1......I have a 95 Corolla DX and I can tell you from experience that this is probably one of the best cars made! I bought mine brand new and it now has 160,000 miles on it. Dark Red, I believe it is called Sunfire Metallic. The paint looks like new. I wax it once a year, regularly wash it. In all those miles I had the timing belt replaced at Toyota at 90,000 miles $350. They suggest 60,000 miles but my friend is a Toyota mechanic for 10 years and he said 80-90K. I would suggest getting the DX or LE with the 1.8 liter engine. He said it was one of the best engines they've made. It has incredible power for a 105hp 4 banger. I admit I push mine. I commute each way 75 miles a day at a steady pace of 75-80mph. I get 35mpg and would probably get better if i didn't speed so much. The only problem I've ever had was to replace the starter $180 at Toyota.... I think it was just a fluke. Everything else on the car is original. Brakes last me 35-40K miles and I cut the rotors. The next job will require new rotors. The rear brakes suck, since they are not self adjusting. If you can, get them adjusted every 5,000 miles. Have the tranny fluid changed every 30k miles. Keep an eye on the air filter which gets dirty quick and leaves pile up in the air box. The original Michelin tires are horrible! They slip on wet roads bad. I replaced them at 50,000 miles and wish I had done sooner. I now have Dunlop D60A2 with 110K miles on them and they still have plenty of tread. I did up the size to 195 from the stock 185 size. The stereo cranks and the tuner gets more stations than any stereo I've ever owned and I've owned 35 cars in my lifetime. The DX and LX models also come with power windows, locks, tilt wheel, and much better seats. They also have the better 4 spd automatic tranny and 14 inch wheels. Good Luck with your purchase!
  • sandman46sandman46 Member Posts: 1,798
    I uped the tires on my '96 DX from 185/65/14's to 195/60/14's and was really unhappy with the results. Switched back within 24 hours and much happier now. Tony, did you up also go from 65 to 60 or stay with 65's on both sets? That could have been my problem, hum. Real glad that I went back to the original size though. Still enjoying the ride after almost 4 years. Kept my '88 FX almost 10 years and it behaved pretty well also.
  • canccanc Member Posts: 715
    Speaking of tires, I've seen, either on this board or another on Edmunds, that someone was dissatisfied with the Michelin tires that came standard on my Corolla LE. I would have to say that I really like the Michelin tires since they're really good when it comes to a smooth, quiet ride (although I'm sure the Corolla has something to do with it...). They're excellent in the snow, wet pavement, and even grip pretty well on ice.
    My "01" LE came with Goodyear Integrity tires and I think that they also are also pretty good tires.
  • tony1034tony1034 Member Posts: 32
    Sandman....
    No, kept the 65 profile. The 60 profile will decrease the radius of the tire quite a bit and throw off the speedo. The engine will rev higher and the odometer after thousands of miles will show more than you really drove. It will also ride a lot harder since the sidewall is smaller. The tires are a bit taller staying with the 65 profile. The speedo is off by like 2mph at 60-65, but the engine revs less contributing to better fuel mileage since I drive faster. It also does the opposite to the opdometer. Not that I care since I will drive this car for another 160k miles.

As for the poor stock Michelin tires, I believe the originals on my car were GX4's. Not 100% sure though. Michelin does make good tires but this one specific tread pattern on the Corolla were very slippery on wet roads. I can say though that these Dunlops wear better than any other tire I've seen. They are supposed to be all-weather sport radials, but don't confuse all-weather with snow tires. They aren't that good in the snow, but we maybe see one snowstorm a year in NJ and either it melts the same day or the roads are cleared.
    Terceltom: This is just another unexplainable fact why US and Canadian Corollas are different, even though some of the US Corollas are actually built right here in Ontario, along with Canadian Corollas. The 2001 LE comes with Michelin tires, comes standard with a 4-speed automatic transmission, a standard CD player on all models, but we don't get integrated rear view mirror map lights nor can we get a sunroof. American Corollas also have a wider choice of colors (Mystic Teal Pearl was available last year, but Indigo Ink is the only blue available this year). Can anyone explain the possible reasons why Toyota is doing this?
    I do know my Corolla was built in Canada. Yes I did get the map lights and a C.D. player( optional) and the moonroof. I could have also have gotten any color I wanted. I chose the black sand pearl which was actually the hardest one to get.
    Do you find it hard to maintain?
  • ken126ken126 Member Posts: 39
    I am having a noise that sounds like something is either loose or not lubricated properly. I hear the noise when traveling over 30 miles per hour and is more pronounced when I press the clutch to switch gears. Dealer claims this is a normal noise which is BS, I just traded a 90 prizm with 311,000 miles on it and never heard that kind of noise. Anybody have any ideas??????
    Where is this noise coming from exactly? If it's a transmission noise I would have it checked out. If you're not satisfied with your local dealer, bring it to another one that's near you.
    I really like the black sandpearl color (especially with gold trim), but yes it is very hard to keep it looking clean. I wash it very often(once per week)and it can look dirty two days later.
    Terceltom: I think Indigo Ink is a color that gets dirty quickly, though probably not as quickly as black. The black Corolla does look good though, especially with a spoiler.

I'm now up to 2100 kms. on my Corolla and I'm happy to say that I have no problems to report. I'm amazed at the gas mileage I'm getting! I'm around 34 mpg. right now overall, which is astonishing to me.
  • truckdude1truckdude1 Member Posts: 88
    Hey, do you think the burgundy paint or the teal blue should shine nicely for 6 or more years? i want gold ,but dont know how long gold will hold up , wed wax it, but are corollas smooth for small cars and powerful enough? can they handle 75 or 80 ok on freeway, its only going to be for 3 people and two drivers, so what would you know or reccomend?thanks
    Corollas do not come in Gold color unless it is a new color for 2002 that I do not know about. They can very easily do 75-80 on the highway but I really do not recommend it for obvious reasons.
    Anyone have any experiences with frontend masks for there cars? I took my new Corolla for a two hour trip trip the other day and upon return I noticed many dead bugs on the nice shiny black paint in the front. I thought a genuine Toyota Corolla frontend mask might prevent this if used on a trip. Are they O.K. for the paint and clearcoat?
    I've recently read here people that had 300,000 miles on their previous Corollas and they traded them in. I'm interested to know the cars' condition when it was traded in; I'm sure the paint was probably dull, and there was rust everywhere, but it would interesting to see how the engine kept up, as well as interior/exterior condition. My cousin has a GM car with 180,000 miles and it's unfortunately falling apart.

It would be interesting to know your stories. Thanks!
    I haven't heard anything about Corolla front masks, but people I know have put those on their cars and removed it because the dust, sand and everything else you can find on the road gets somehow between the paint and the mask, and when the mask naturally moves around a bit, it becomes abrasive on the paint, pretty much like sandpaper. If you would still like to use it, make sure to protect that area of the car, and wash the mask often to clean it of any dust and sand.
  • britton2britton2 Member Posts: 305
    If I were you I'd put about 3 coats of a good quality paste wax on your front bumper (wait about a week between coats) - I have 2 coats on mine and will soon add a third - then you can just hose off the bumper without having to wash the whole car - don't know anyone who has the front end mask -
  • compcomp Member Posts: 43
    I am trying to purchase for my mom a 2001 LE with ABS and Side airbags. The dealer just imformed me that there are none in the US. Becasuse, the 2002 are rolling out. Does anyone know what the changes are to the 2002. Is this a total restyle or is it just a holdover from 2001. Thanks in advance for any details.
  • majorthomechomajorthomecho Member Posts: 1,331
    My Toyota Echo is Black Sand Pearl and black is one of the hardest colors to keep looking clean. I have to wonder where the poster lives who says his Black Sand Pearl Corolla looks dirty two days later. With my Echo, it is more like two minutes later. Not really complaining because it is one sharp car.
    Just wondering what everyone thought about the looks of the next generation Corolla. It looks like to me to be a cross between an Echo (styling) and an Avalon (trim details).

Really makes me wonder what the next Camry is going to look like.
    2002 model (coming late summer) will still be a hold over from the 2001. The total redesign is for the 2003 model for next summer. So it makes you difference whether to buy a 2001 or 2002 (except a little difference in price and resale value).

I'm almost hesitant to recommend buying a 2002 model, since the improvements slated for the redesigned 2003 model seems so overwhelmingly good (larger, more modern, more luxurious, more powerful...).
    yes, the 2003 corolla draws it's overall shape from the experience with Echo/Prius.

There have been quite a few spy shots of the 2002 Camry. It appears to draw much of it's inspiration from the Solara, for a sharper and edgy appearance.
  • gloriadgloriad Member Posts: 18
    We took our 1998 Corolla with 57K miles for a rear brake job and also wanted them to correct the squeak coming from the suspension when going over ruts or bumps. We told them about the TSB #ST00100 that someone had mentioned on this board. They would not perform the work regarding this service bulletin for free. They said it would be $320 to correct. They would need to replace the tie rod caps. It is not considered a safety issue but rather just an annoying squeak. Did anyone else have this work done for free after the 36K mile warranty was up? Thanks
  • vladyvlady Member Posts: 44
    I was having my 30k service done. I mentioned about squeaking suspension. Believe it or not there are no squeaks coming out so far. I don't know that they did, probably just lube suspension.
    I fell your frustration. I was going to replaced a belt tensioner(according to TSB). They would happy to help me if I pay ~200$ for the tensioner.
    Wow! You did a rear brakes @57k. I had to replaced mine @30k(was a big surprise for me)

terceltom1
    I have a front mask. This is a good protection to the paint against rocks and road debrries. Easy installations and removing. You need to wash a car and wax the area. I had my mask on for 2 years and I was surprise the paint still looks good. Only one thing -buy Toyota's mask, it fits tight and won't be moving around.
    I'm sorry I failed to mention that my car is garage kept and that of course would explain why my car stays a little cleaner then yours does. But, just sitting in the garage the black color does collect dust. I live in PA.
    Well, how about shipping that garage my way? I live in an apartment complex with no covered parking. : (

I am serious about the car seeming to get dirty about two minutes after I wash it.

Where I wash the car is about two minutes from where I worked and it seemed that by the time I pulled into the parking lot of work, I needed to go back and wash the car.

If I knew then what I know now about colors, I would still do it again. Like I said, it is a sharp car.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Hi friends,

Catherine Heins is looking for people to interview who have switched from American to Japanese cars in the past few years-- especially folks who wouldn't have given a Toyota or Honda the time of day in the 1970s.

She's a business reporter at the Yomiuri Shimbun, which is the biggest daily paper in Japan with a circulation of 14 million. They are writing a feature story about Japanese automakers' continuing success in expanding production in the U.S. and snatching market share from the Big Three even on their former home turf of light trucks.

If you fit this description and are willing to be interviewed, please call her directly at 212-582-5827 or e-mail her at catheins@yahoo.com. As always, you can contact me at jfallon@edmunds.com if you have any questions.

Thanks,

Jeannine Fallon
    PR Director
    Edmunds.com
  • liufeiliufei Member Posts: 201
    Personally, I think the 2003 Corolla looks pretty much similar to the Focus. Hopefully without all the problems that comes with its earlier release though. :)
    Wonder how long before there's some kind of confirmation on what the 2003 Corolla will look like? Maybe early next year?
  • liufeiliufei Member Posts: 201
    I've the suspension problem, and the dealer fixed it by applying some kind of lube, or something. They tried to stick a $75 charges for it, but recalled that since the mechanic said its no big deal.
    IMO, if they release a TSB, they should absorb the cost themselves, its Toyota fault to begin with to cause the problem.
  • venubabu2venubabu2 Member Posts: 5
    hi
    i have 1992 toyota corolla,it just reached 120000 miles,can some body tell the regular maintenances-needed to be done at 120k.
    thanks
    venubabu2
  • enetheneth Member Posts: 285
    Should be basically a repeat of the 60,000 mile service (probably timing belt, fluids, filters and spark plugs).
  • jwoljwol Member Posts: 1
    My '99 Prizm also developed a front suspension squeak at around 30,000. I ignored it until it became persistent just before the warranty expired. It was something to do with the tie rods, and fortunately there was no charge for the expensive work. Advice: listen for any front end squeaking, and don't delay informing the service manager, even if it is intermittent.
  • taisontaison Member Posts: 71
    We just bought a 2001 Toyota Corolla LE Automatic with
    Sunroof,
    Extra Value Package #2,
    Allow Wheels,
    Floor mats, and
    Cruise Control for
    $15268.

That is INCLUDING Tax, documentation fees, and licensing.

Do you think we got a good deal?
  • jrct9454jrct9454 Member Posts: 2,363
    How would we know, without knowing the rate for tax and license in your area? Did you get a rebate?

All pricing questions are kind of useless unless you filter out the question of tax and lic, since they are different in each jurisdiction.

Having said that, in Calif, where taxes add about 9% or more to the transaction, an LE for that price would be a very good deal, even allowing for the fact that there is a $1000 rebate on the table now in Northern CA on the LE.
  • britton2britton2 Member Posts: 305
    no, that's not a good deal - THAT'S A GREAT DEAL!
  • taisontaison Member Posts: 71
    Sorry, I guess I should have been more specific. Tax was 8% here in Los Angeles. We got it on the last day of the $1000 factory cash back. But we later found out they had extended the cash back. It was ok though since we got the car we wanted.

No negotiating at all. The dealer e-mailed me the price, we went in, picked the car, paid the cash and got the car. It was one of the easiest car buying experiences I've ever had.
  • crom1crom1 Member Posts: 1
    I just bought 2001 toyota corolla on march. Having driven this car for three month, I realized this car have less engine power (especially 0-60 miles) than corolla 1999 model (I tried it before).
    However, Toyota claims that the 2001 model have higher power(125HP) than the 1999&2000 model (120 HP).
    Does any one know about the reason? Thanks!
  • rsparrowrsparrow Member Posts: 60
    Here in Edmonton, Alberta, the local dealers have had some 2002 Corollas for the past week or two. For any fellow Canadians out there, there is finally an option for a factory moonroof. It's part of a "Package B" that includes ABS on the LE model. My old '86 Corolla had one but otherwise it's been years since Toyota Canada has offered them in the Corolla. But YIKES, the MSRP of said car is now just over Cdn$ 24,000, which I *think* is considerably more than a comparably equipped Civic or Protege.... I didn't see any other changes compared to the 2001s.... Just FYI!
    A moonroof? That's good to know. Thanks for the info. About the price of the Corolla, it is a bit more expensive than the Civic or the Protegé. I can't speak for the Protegé, but the Civic feels (and probably is) cheaper than the Corolla; just compare the two engines.
  • rdeschenerdeschene Member Posts: 331
    FYI. You can price out the Protege at:

www.mazda.ca

A Protege with moonroof, air, automatic (ES with the GT package) is CDN$21,600. I'm surprised the Corolla LE with package B is that expensive. $2400, plus financing charges and taxes on that amount, is a lot of money and the Protege has a quite good reputation for reliability.
    The answer is probably the gearing ratio. The 99 Corolla use to have 120 hp, but could do 0-60 in 8.4 seconds (official number, we won't even go into the kind of number racing magazines could get out of them). But it get's 31/38 mpg with the 5-spd. The 2001 model, dispite the hp increase, the fuel economy has gone up to 32/41 mpg. However, the official 0-60 number has dropped to 8.9 seconds (still quite fast compared to the competitors, but not as much fun as the 99).

That should tell you that the gearing ratio probably has been changed. Toyota must have thought that for the compact car market, where people value the cost of gasoline more than fun, would prefer it this way.

The installation of the VVT-i engine does increase power, but 5 hp isn't that big of a deal when you are talking about 120 to start with, so you probably wouldn't have felt it even if the gearing stayed the same. The best explaination would therefore lay with the gearing ratio.
  • gserep1gserep1 Member Posts: 92
    Hello,
    I tried the 2001 Corolla with VVT-i and came away wih the same impression...more hp/less useable on-road power. I travel for the government and used to rent the 99 corollas, and they were a blast to drive, with good mileage. The suspension was a bit lacking, but the engine had great power. I was hoping that the new ones were as good, but alas..they weren't. Thanks, but I will pass.

GSEREP1