Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Lexus IS 300

Comments

• Options
    seattlesheilaseattlesheila Member Posts: 68
    Any particular reason you'd WANT 16" wheels on an IS300? I've seen both and the 16" wheels just don't look as good as the 17" ones.
  • Options
    mmcbride1mmcbride1 Member Posts: 861
    You've obviously never hit a big pothole with your 17" rims and bent one.
  • Options
    sybelesybele Member Posts: 42
    Yes, I know the 17's look better, but here in Cincinnati we get ice and snow throughtout the winter. The 17's are suicide.

Your answer is probably going to be, get winter tires. Well, I don't have the space at home to store them.
  • Options
    hunter001hunter001 Member Posts: 851
    2 reasons:

1) lightness (assuming everything else is the same)
    2) better with pot-holes and rough roads.

Also, when we say lightness, note that saving 5 lbs on each wheel (20 lbs overall) - rotational mass - is much more effective than saving a lot of pounds elsewhere...

17s look better however...

Later...AH
  • Options
    brislance1brislance1 Member Posts: 87
    I just received my May issue of "Consumer Reports". In this issue they test four of the most popular sports sedans, the BMW 330i, Lexus IS300, Mercedes C320 and the Volvo S60. They had some nice things to say about all of the cars, but did rate the BMW first. They finished as I have listed the cars above. I thought perhaps some of the IS 300 fans might want to read what they had to say about this car when the magazine hits the stands.
  • Options
    denniswadedenniswade Member Posts: 362
    and I saw the ad with the weird-looking dweeb in the feaked-out suit with the tag line, "Sufficiently radical", I wrote Lexus to say that they were missing the whole point of the car. By focusing on the styling instead of the driving experience, and taking a rather feminine approach to the whole ad (the picture of the weird guy was actually bigger than the car), I felt they were aiming the campaign at young professional women rather than enthusiats. My idea was to simply show the car smoking around a mountain curve, with the tag line "Open for business," with a few choice quotes from some of the car junkie magazines in the top corner. Not particularly creative or "out there," but accurate -- and much more to the point.

As it turns out, I wasn't far off. This week's Automotive News quotes Lexus as admitting they targeted the wrong age group and should have aimed the advertising at high-30s and up enthusiasts -- the kind of people who buy BMWs (gee, wasn't that the point in the first place?!!) They also admitted that not having a 5-speed in the first year was a major mistake.

It just frosts me that they would make such a mistake -- the Altezza has been a hot seller in Japan and Europe for several years now, and that's why they chose the car for Lexus in the first place. Why ignore or dilute the car's personality in the advertising?

Oh well....at least the price is right, and the 5-speed will be here soon.
  • Options
    scott155scott155 Member Posts: 10
    The three biggest advantages that the Lexus IS300 has over the BMW 330I are price, price, price!!

Look for yourself, but if you option the BMW up so it has the same stuff as an IS300 your BMW 330I will sticker at about $41,200, versus the IS300 will be about 34,200.

Who in their right mind goes out and spends $7,000 more for virtually identical cars. A lot of you out there need to stop reading the press releases and drive both cars. After doing so, you just try and list what makes the BMW worth $7,000 more. And thats before the discounts Lexus can give you versus BMW's stiff pricing policy.

Don't get me wrong, I think the BMW 330I is a wonderful car, but you have to draw the line somewhere at paying so much more and getting so little more in return. If money were no object then most of us would own a Ferarri 360 Modena! (I know I would, in a heartbeat)

BMW makes a great car, they just don't compete well on price - that $7,000 difference would cost you about $175 more per month over a 60 month purchase.

I'm like most people, I want nice quality stuff, but there has to be a limit on how much you'll pay to get it.
  • Options
    an L-Tuned version of the IS300 that pumped out about 320 hp and sold for about $42k -- 10k less than the M3 with similar performance. Now that would put a crimp into BMW's vision of world domination, wouldn't it?!!
  • Options
    mmcbride1mmcbride1 Member Posts: 861
    But the real competitor for the IS is the 325i (look at performance numbers - they're virtually identical). A well-equipped 325i is right about the same price as an IS, and can be had much cheaper if you opt for fewer options.
  • Options
    inkyinky Member Posts: 370
    399 per month with 1700 down. That is a good lease rate. National advertise lease.
    INKY
  • Options
    phatnastycatphatnastycat Member Posts: 73
    Considering the current lease deals on the IS today, do you think it is still worth it to wait for the 2002 model? I am not interested in a 5-speed, but I do like some of the other additions the 2002 will offer, especially the VSC option and standard front side airbags.
    Thanks-
    PNC
  • Options
    mvs1mvs1 Member Posts: 462
    I was asking myself the same question. After driving an RX 300 for the past few years I'm due for a change. The IS 300 seems like the perfect choice now with the lease offer, and I don't want the manual trans, but I'm still going to hold out for 2002.

A question for any current Lexus owners, in the past Lexus offers loyalty rebates. I got one in 99' for the RX 300 ($1000) any such rebates for the IS 300?
  • Options
    raybearraybear Member Posts: 1,795
    Why would you hold out if you're leasing? The cars are distressed merchandise now--later, who knows?

brentwoodvolvo would be the one to ask about owner loyalty benefits.
  • Options
    uofmiamiuofmiami Member Posts: 19
    From my understanding and first-hand experience, the rebate is now only $500, which I received when I ordered my GS430. I think in 2000 Lexus reduced it from $1K to $500. I would assume it would apply to any Lexus car you purchase, so it would be applicable to the IS300.
  • Options
    mvs1mvs1 Member Posts: 462
    Aside from holding out for the added features, normally with leasing and is also applicable with financing is the depreciation factor. If I trade my vehicle in now I'd probably be about $4000 upside down. If I wait until the lease expires in 02' the only fees would be excessive miles, if any. In my opinion the added features for 2002 give me an incentive to not take the hit on my trade in.

For uofmiami in 99' the rebate was for $1000 if you purchase or lease through LCF. $500 if you do so through another co. I'll most likely head down to the dealer this weekend and find out.
  • Options
    Even with the new features, they may hold the low lease rate to attract drivers to the new car -- so you may very well enjoy the best of both worlds. But if you really don't care about the 5-speed, I'd go ahead and get the 2001 now; what do you have to lose? It certainly isn't going to get any cheaper.
  • Options
    Dennis-
    Do you think this option is worth having? I would prefer to have it due the IS being a rear wheel drive vehicle and my concerns about driving a rear wheel drive vehicle in bad weather conditions.
    Thanks-
    PNC
  • Options
    And if you live in a climate where it snows or rains frequently, I'd highly recommend it. In that case, maybe you ARE better off waiting for the 2002s.
  • Options
    pjonkheerpjonkheer Member Posts: 22
    Can somebody please confirm the new features on the 2002 IS? I only know about the VSC and 5 speed manual. Also, with the 5 speed installed, will the price go down from the automatic version??

Thank You.
  • Options
    conan126conan126 Member Posts: 2
    I just recently test drove the nexus and the BMW 325. What I really liked about the 325 was the manual. However, I like the IS better overall, and have decided to purchase it, but I am going to wait for the 2002. Does anybody yet know what kind of pricing. Am I safe to assume the manual might be cheaper than the automatic, or will this be offset by any new additions? Any thoughts?
  • Options
    raybearraybear Member Posts: 1,795
    Good point. Finish the current lease. There's always the chance they'll have to repeat the deals next year.
  • Options
    00rxguy100rxguy1 Member Posts: 38
    When will the 2002 IS be out? I to want to buy a IS in the next month or so. But if the 2002 is going to be out in Oct. or Aug. then i want to wait. I don't want the same thing happening to me all over again with my RX. I bought the 2000 Rx in May of 2000. Then in Oct. of 2000 the 2001 RX came out w./ a slight exterior change. What a bummer! So this time around I'm going to wait! Can anyone tell me if the prices on the 2001 models will go down to make room for the 2002?
  • Options
    Sorry!
  • Options
    00rxguy1,
    The 2002 IS should be available in September. Lexus usually drops the next MY car at that time. I think the wait for the 2002 is worth it. Good luck
  • Options
    njmannjman Member Posts: 1
    I received so much good info from this forum. Thank you all. I just bought IS300 with leather, sunroof, heated seats, trunk mat and wheel locks in NJ. I paid $30,800 vs MSRP of $34,600.
    My sincere thanks to Edmunds and its users.
  • Options
    Enjoy!
  • Options
    menace2umenace2u Member Posts: 7
    I also got an IS300 in NJ this weekend - loaded GGP (leather, sunroof, heated seats, mats, wheel locks + graphite wheels, LSD). Paid $31.5K versus msrp of $35,500. Edmunds and some slow sales made this possible.
    Dennis - Special Thx for your help. I'll update you when the supercharger goes in!!!
  • Options
    Can't wait!

Also can't wait to see what Toysport comes up with; they're working on the system right now. I'll keep ya'll posted on their progress.
  • Options
    Dennis-
    I have read about the VSC option that will be available for 2002, but I don't think I really understand the advantage that VSC provides to the TRAC and TORSEN LSD option available in the 2001 now. Can you educate me on this?
    Where I live, it doesn't snow, but we do an occasional ice storm in the winter. I most concerned about driving a rear wheel drive vehicle in heavy rain. When it rains here it pours and everyone here seems to put on their idiot hats when driving in the rain. :>)
    Outside of this option, I would hold out for a 2002 for the auto dimming rear view mirror (I have it in my Solara and really appreciate it with all of the SUV's on the road) and the added arm rest.
    Thanks-
    PNC
  • Options
    is to help maximize traction by making two tires do the work of one. Vehicle skid control is designed to use engine braking and the brakes themselves to retard power and/or apply braking as needed to maintain directional control -- especially while braking hard in an emergency.

You can buy an auto-dimming mirror in the aftermarket.
  • Options
    jcbrackjcbrack Member Posts: 9
    I think a better explanation of VSC is as follows.

Basically VSC corrects oversteer and understeer. Lets say its raining and you accelerate too hard while turning a corner...normally major oversteer will happen, with the tail coming out. VSC will chime in and correct this. It will actually brake the front outside wheel, thus generating a counter rotational spin on the car...very cool technology.

For understeer VSC will engage the traction control and brake the inside front wheel to try and pull the car around the corner.

Another way to look at it is, if you lose control of the car...the computer takes over to get the car back under control.

I have a GS300 and LX470, both with VSC and it WORKS! VSC has come on a couple of time in the GS300 in the wet and once in the LX470 in the snow. Well worth the money and in afew years will be as common as ABS.
  • Options
    with the addition that the car will also drop engine revs as necessary to correct the situation.
  • Options
    patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Pardon the interruption - I want to explain the name change of this discussion.

Since we have moved to our new platform, we no longer have the requirement to stop and restart discussions after the numbers of posts exceed a certain limit. Since this discussion can continue as long as anyone has anything to say about IS 300, there is no longer a need for the "Chapter 2" that has been included in the discussion name. Down the road, that could confuse our newer members so I have removed it.

I've altered the name slightly of the original IS 300 discussion in the Archives to differentiate it from this active one.

Please continue...

Pat
    Host
    Sedans and Women's Auto Center Message Boards
  • Options
    indesj01indesj01 Member Posts: 3
    i just drove an is 300 yesterday and am serious about buying but i too live in the east where it always snows and rains. learning about vsc makes me want to wait for the 02. there will be an all wheel drive in the future but exactly when is not clear. does anyone know when the 02 will be available? the dealer says June but when in june or if that is reliable is unclear.
  • Options
    Dennis and Jcbrack- Thanks for explanations. That helps a lot.

indesj01- June is the earliest date I have heard in regards to the availability of the 2002. I had been hearing August and as late as September.

I'd love to see them become available in June.
  • Options
    magwire1magwire1 Member Posts: 2
    just ordered one ! The car handled very well and was quick. the five-speed auto is convenient. not better than a stick but then driving through the lincoln tunnel is no pleasure with a stick. i know, i've owned 3000gt vr-4 '92. great car.
  • Options
    longhorn8longhorn8 Member Posts: 2
    When I first saw the IS, I wasn't that thrilled, but that's only because someone souped it up beyond belief. After driving the car, it was a no brainer over the Bimmer... I've never had so much fun driving a car before. My sister owns the Bimmer, and it is a nice peice, but the Lexus IS 300 is a serious car that keeps impressing me over and over and over again. And it commands a lot of attention... too many people own the 3 series, so it is nice to stick out. My IS 300 is black, with no spoiler and the gold package... I got it as a demo with 3000K miles, and paid only $30,000... not bad considering the 330 was $39,000. I've already named my car "IS-abella the [non-permissible content removed] Wagon." :-) Here's to Lexus... I never thought a car could make you happier... man was I wrong!
  • Options
  • Options
    WILL VSC BE AVAILABLE ON THE AUTOS AND THE STICK OR JUST THE STICK. AND WHY DID I NOT HEAR ABOUT THIS UNTIL TWO DAYS AGO. I SEARCHED EVERY SITE AND SCOURCE FOR CHANGES IN 02.
  • Options
    chris92676chris92676 Member Posts: 2
    VSC will be available in the autos. LSD in the manuals. Lexus has the 2002 models officially coming out in August. All-wheel drive is also not an option, yet.
  • Options
    Go to www.insidelexus.com Will have info on the 2002 IS from the source, Lexus. Enjoy.
  • Options
    seattlesheilaseattlesheila Member Posts: 68
    I was interested to note that the 2002 models will offer some new colors..a new shade of blue (darker), absolutely red (instead of the Auburn Sky Pearl) a new green and a new white. Looks like my blue 2001 will be one of very few with that color!
  • Options
    jcbrackjcbrack Member Posts: 9
    Yes it seems VSC will only be available on the Autos...Lexus is not known for doing dumb things....but they are now!

VSC is an outstanding safety feature and should be on all models....its kind of like saying we are only going to equip autos with ABS??
  • Options
    wait a minnit heah....the whole idea of a 5-speed is to turn the task of driving over to the driver. VSC takes that control away.

"If you wanna drift, you gotta shift...!!"

(Sorry, but that's my best Jesse Jackson impression.)
  • Options
    hunter001hunter001 Member Posts: 851
    I think the purpose of VSC would be to keep you driving on track....

Also, for VSC equipped vehicles, there would be a button to turn off VSC, right ? But for a non-VSC equipped vehicle, there is no way it is going to have the advantageous effects of VSC in slippery conditions.

Later...AH
  • Options
    VSC comes both ways -- and the only I'd want it is if I could turn it off.
  • Options
    remus26remus26 Member Posts: 34
    denniswade,

All Lexus vehicles equipped with VSC have on/off buttons. So of course, you can turn it off on the IS300. I believe the problem is they couldn't get it to work with the manual transmission for some odd reason or another. That's why they aren't offering it. I'm sure it's not a marketing decision.

The SC300 didn't used to come with the basic Traction Control system either because TRAC didn't work properly with a manual transmission.

Ultimately though, you don't need VSC. I wouldn't pay a extra $850 for it on the IS300 or if it was optional on other Lexus models like the LS400, ES300, or GS300/430. These systems intervene too much and they provide that much of a advantage in even snow driving. Second, if you know how to drive a car you don't need VSC or TRAC.
  • Options
    Both of those systems are good for people who buy their cars with automatics, and pay more attention to the person on the other end of their cell phone than they do to the road and the other people on it.
  • Options
    corranhorncorranhorn Member Posts: 3
    I was wonder if anyone knows if Lexus will extend the current $399 program till next month. Until recently no one in my area had one because the dealers didn't want to budge on the prices. Everyone went over to buy 3 series BMWs, which are all over the Northern Jersey area because for a while the dealers were asking the same for an IS. Don't get me wrong the dealers were making way too much money on both deals, but the BMW was getting rated number one and until a few recent magazine articles, the IS was number 2, so people paid the premium for the BMW. When the lease deal came along, although it's still a pretty nice profit for the dealer, all of a sudden there's an IS on every street. If Lexus wants to keep selling them and reach there 25,000 cars for the year, they should keep the $399 deal going. Thanks for any info. By the way, I'm still torn between the 3 series, the IS, the TL type S and the 2002 260hp Infiniti I35.
  • Options
    remus26remus26 Member Posts: 34
    The $399 deal will probably transfer over to next month. I think Lexus has to do it to move IS300s until the manual version and more features are introduced.

The reason the BMW 3-series sells in much larger numbers to the IS300 is not because of magazine comparison tests but because quite simply, the BMW 3-series has a much longer history of being a small performance sedan. As well as BMW having cars like the M3 help the regular 3-series sales also.

The 3.2TL Type-S is very nice. I test drove one last week. Very fast and handles better than my stock 3.2TL. But it's still FWD and the IS300 with 17" wheels still definately handles better than the 3.2TL Type-S but the 3.2TL-S is faster.

Hard choice, have fun picking.