Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Older Acura TLs

Comments

• billyperksbillyperks Member Posts: 449
    The Mercedes manual c320 got some spunk in it, I don't know if it can outrun the TYPE S.
    But I agree with you on the C class buyers.
  • kbailey24kbailey24 Member Posts: 4
    I am SO glad I got a 2003 TL. From what I've seen on the internet, it looks a lot like the new 2004 Accord, and they are so ugly. I love my 2003 TL!!
  • 7someday7someday Member Posts: 7
    billyperks - you are right, the 320 manual has some spunk - but so did my '95 Integra SE 2.2 (about the same 0-60) and about the same size.

Don't get me wrong, MB makes among the best cars on the planet. Acutally, other than a 7-Series BMer, I would love an SL 500 or the AMG CLK. (But now we are talking 60k+!!!)

The C-Class is a nice car - for about 20K... At 35k+ you can get far more car, and size wise, the C-Class is in the small sedan category - for 10k more. I love Benz, just the C-Class is not enough car for the money.
    7 Someday erroneously reported the '95 Acura Integra SE at 2.2 This was an unfortunate misprint which should have read 1.8.

All apologies for any unintentional misinformation
  • merc1merc1 Member Posts: 6,081
    Aren't the IS300, 3-Series, A4, X-Type and all the rest in the "small" category with similar prices? I don't understand why the Benz isn't worth it's price relative to the others in it's class. Is it because it doesn't put "sport" first like the 3-Series?

M
  • hclllhclll Member Posts: 35
    My TL has 26 miles now and a scratched left tail pipe. I never thought that a 6-inch-high curb can touch the tail pipe when I back up. I know TL is lower than my previous Maxima, but maybe not this low.

Later I figure maybe because there was a fat guy in my back seat. But this also sounds unrealistic. If it is true that means the rear springs of TL are too soft!! It doesn't feel like true.

The scratch is on the under side of the left pipe, maybe unnoticable, but it still makes me mad. Because MY BABY LOST VIRGINITY!! What should I do guys?
  • carguy58carguy58 Member Posts: 2,303
    If Honda does that they would drop the ball completely and BMW and Mercedes would blow Acura to smithereens. I think the reason they made the Accord so bland was to force customers to pay 5,000 dollars more for a TSX and have more Acura branded cars out there and the fact to get more domestic buyers in the Accord(make Accord styling more American like.) I'm mad that Honda did that but people are buying the TSX so it has worked out in Honda's favor. If Honda keeps on doing that though they will lose a few more sales from me in the upcoming years.
    Yes, to some extent they are all "small" sedans.

However, a C320 costs 35,000 with nothing on it, a 215hp engine. By the time it is equipped similar to a TL type-S you are at 42,000 MSRP, and looking to pay 40k. This is a full 10K more than a TL-TypeS, and a full 45hp less, with a smaller overall car.

The C-Class is too pricey in my book, and the X-type is a Ford Taurus with a Jag badge, so in my mind, they don't really compete with the others. The C320 coupe maybe the exception, as it is a full 7k less than the C320 sedan, but still on the high end for the size.

Nothing against the Benz, but for me to even consider a C-Class, especially considering its performance is a bit under the Type-S, MBneeds to drop about 7 to 10K off the price. That's also why I say C-Class are for people who just want the Benz badge.

If I was to spend 40k on a car, why not move up a couple grand and get a 5-Series BMW??? You can get a 530i similarly equipped for 43k.

Like I said, Benz are beautiful cars, but until I get to the S-Class, where money is no object, they just don't come into play for me.
  • spudgalspudgal Member Posts: 35
    We had the persistant brake light on our 2000 TL about 6 months ago. It turned out to be low brake fluid. You should take it to the dealer asap.

As for warped rotors, I've read in other threads that one of the primary causes is wheel lug nuts being overtightened. I bought a 2002 Qx4 last year and had the dealer remove the 20" chrome rims put back on the original stock wheels (not into pimping). After driving it for a couple of days, the brakes started pulsing - Lo! warped rotors that weren't there on the test drive. My TL now has warped rotors too, but after 43K miles, it's pretty likely that it's wear & tear. Probably need new brakes by now :)
  • bodble2bodble2 Member Posts: 4,514
    Well, I don't think you need to go all the way to the S-Class. The new E-Class models can compete with anyone.
  • jjlawjjlaw Member Posts: 1
    Per my local Acura dealer last week, they had hoped the new TL would be available by August, but looks more like late October/early November. Price expected 32-36K, and the bigger brother of the TSX.
  • jcbaybayjcbaybay Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone know if acura will make the tl type s avaialable for 2004 new model?
    but I just saw 2 Acura '04 TLs in a test convoy! I live in North West Las Vegas and they had 2 silver ones! Lights and badges were all covered by tape and nose bags, but it looked a lot like the concepts, with wing mirrors.

Didn't get to look at the inside much (the guys were busy and I didn't want to get them into trouble by bugging them and asking questions they couldn't answer), but it was definately the TL - even though they couldn't tell me it was. :)

Back and lower lines are a lot more vertical than the current one. Looks very sleek and elegant to me. Been cursing myself all afternoon that I didn't have the camera!

Did take the time to thank them for all their hard work, tho.

Saw a new Dodge Durango on a test last month. I LOVE this part of town! :D
    I agree that the C-Class is pricey, but hp isn't everything, nor is the C320 slow. The 330i is just as pricey and the A4 3.0 isn't exactly cheap either. The TL-S is more or less priced where it should be, considering some of the luxury items it lacks.

M
  • akal50akal50 Member Posts: 112
    From what I've heard, the new TL will range from 32-35K, it won't be in showrooms until October, and no Type S will be offered for 2004. As for looking like the Accord, from certain angles you can definitely see the resemblance. But the edges are sharper and the front and back are different enough where it doesn't look like a dressed up Accord.
    Does anyone know how to program the Home Link for the garage door opening?

I get confused when I read the manual- please don't call me dumb?

If anyone knows, please explain as if you were talking to a 2 year old child.

Thanks.
  • tpo1tpo1 Member Posts: 8
    Acura Canada is promoting a Type S "A Spec" in addition to the regular Type S. Is this a Canada only package.
    Info at Acura Canada page:
    http://www.acura.ca/AcuraEng/Models/TL/features.asp#bk04
    Terry O'Neill
    Calgary
    Can you consider 2 a "convoy"? :)

Serious question: Did you get enough of a peek inside to see whether it has a console-mounted parking brake?
    a barely disguised MDX and a CRV. Sortof a convoy. Not sure why the MDX was there - it had a cable coming out from under the hood and up into the cabin. Probably doing some warm weather testing up in Death Valley - it's only about 90 mins from us.

I'm sorry, I didn't see what kind of brake it had - the test guy was sitting in the drivers seat and I didn't want to impose. I was just so excited to actually see one (or two!) in the flesh, so to speak.

I really wanted to ask all kinds of questions, but I don't think they're supposed to talk to people too much. They seemed surprised that I was so interested. Actually, I think they were hoping I'd go away, but I get that a lot ;)

And to think of all those times I've mocked the cellphones with cameras!
  • scott31scott31 Member Posts: 292
    How new is your garage door opener?
    I don't know how old the opener is, all I know is the brand is Sears.I bought my house last August and the set-up was already there.
    Ruski gave me some instructions over on the TLS board, so I will see how that works out.
    Just curious on this point, as having been in all of the vehicles, the TL is loaded, where the Germans are stripped, other than perhaps the fact that the wood is faux-finish, as opposed to the real deal.

If your comments on HP arent everything (which I can somewhat agree) are in line with this, and you wan the Benz badge - GO FOR IT. It is a nice car, but not for me, and I like the all the other things with the TL. You can't go wrong, so whatever you decide(or have decided), that is right for you. As for me, I love the TL superior HP, superior handling (subjectively), the additional features (again subjective) and the overall experience. A C-Class experience for you is likely similar, but for me, and no convincing me, I likely wouldn't ever buy a Benz until S or SL - Just my preference and I enjoy the conversation.

PS - The "7Someday" is my wish for a 7 Series Bmer - And it could easily have read S-Class..but until I am there, the Acura provides the closest simulation in power and ride that can be had for this money......
  • ruskiruski Member Posts: 1,566
    hey what about C-32 AMG? That thing will blow the doors off TL-S
    It's no big deal...I was just taken by your original statements on the C. My one real problem with the TL-S is the styling. That said it's still my favorite fwd car in the class.

M
    What's wrong with the styling?

I think the TL-S styling is very nice.

I parked my car at work the other day and glanced back at it, and said WOW, this car is really nice.

The wheels especially are gorgeous, the front grill is awesome and lastly the lines are in perfect symmetry around the body of the car.

I am not being biased here because I own one, but I have to say the car is conservatively AWESOME.
    I agree. I think the TL-S looks great. What's even better is that it'll still look good 5 years from now while other cars will look very dated. The TL looks sleek, aggressive, but simple. It's definitely not boring, but at the same time doesn't draw too much attention, which is great if you don't want a speeding ticket or someone stealing it.
    TL has classic lines. Just look at the '04 Maxima. Nissan wanted to make it edgy and modern. To me it just looks stange, bordering on ugly.
  • jjjdddjjjddd Member Posts: 7
    All you do is press the button on your garage door opener and the link at the same time. Hold both down until you see the link blink and continue holding until it quits blinking. It takes just about a minute or so. It should work. Let us know.
  • jjjdddjjjddd Member Posts: 7
    I already have scratches on my black TL that I got last week. How well does the touch-up paint work? It looks like it may have been keyed.
    Well there is nothing "wrong" per se about the TL-S, but that the problem....just about every other car in the class looks better. The TL-S just doesn't have any looks or "style", it's bland and looks too much like a graduated Accord, to me. The 04' concept looks far more promising.

The new Maxima for better or worse does have a distinctive look to it. I find the front of it, halloweenishly ugly.

M
    Thanks for the info.

If your car is keyed down to the bare metal, you are going to need a paint job.
    If the paint has a pearl effect, get ready to fork out some big bucks.
    Then again if the car only has light scrathes, you can use 3M compound to buff that out.
    Please do not buff to hard if you are doing it by hand, you will see tons of swirl marks in the paint.
    It looks wonderful to me. It looks better than the ES300(I know thats not a compliment but still.)Looks better than the Infinti I30.
  • hclllhclll Member Posts: 35
    After I got the rims of my new TL scrathced at the car wash place, I went to shop and got Mequiars Scratch-X and started buffing.

Since most of the scratches are on the clear paint of the wheel, they mostly disappeared, but the deeper one left. I want to spray another layer of clear paint on the wheel once I finished buffing.

Now I feel like an expert on buffing scratches. Maybe I could open a local wheel shop and charge $125 for one wheel...

:)
  • dulnevdulnev Member Posts: 652
    Touch up paint would be highly visible on a black car.
    Actually I thought the I30/35 looks the best out of all the affordable mid-size models. It had the muscular/masculine stance of the pre-'04 Maxima without the funny-looking taillights and with a more elegant grill.
    Carguy I have to agree with you on the ES300 comment-waaaay ugly.
    On the other comment about the Infiniti, I beg to differ.I was actually going to buy the I-35 based on looks and a few other specifics.It reminded me of my previous car (Mazda Millennia), did the test drive and was totally disappointed.
    Why?
    Because of several factors-
    Ride of the car was harsh.
    I did not felt a connection with the car.
    4 speed Auto.
    Dealer did not want to meet me half way in my price negotiation.

The main reason was the connection between myself and the car- there was none.BORING:(
  • robin125robin125 Member Posts: 1
    Wow, I can't wait for this car... I heard one of my co-worker that he works at the Acura division at the Torrance.. GOT ya!!
    The 2000-2001 I30 looked good but its not my style. When they refreshed the 2002 and put the I35 emblem it kind of looked ordinary. 02-03 TL has nice looks in my opinion. The 99-01 TL was too bland. Honda did a great job with the refresh for the 02 model year.
  • schollscholl Member Posts: 13
    I hope Acura got the message and increased the headroom for the 2004 - it turned off many potential buyers - no problem in my 2000 3 series BMW - strange. In addition, I hope they did away with the faux wood (if it's part of the new design) I'd rather pay a little more for something that looks better.
    Honda paint is cheap. I have a black Accord and all the scratches show up too easily. Touch-up paint will look obvious. This is why I will never get a dark color if I buy Honda/Acura products.
  • dulnevdulnev Member Posts: 652
    I feel exactly the same way. The current 2003 TL-S is my fifth Honda/Acura. The second one, the 1998 Accord in Emerald Green (very dark green) had a bad-looking paint job after just two years. There were micro-scratches and swirls visible on the paint, plust every little dent and chip would stand out like sore thumbs.

After I traded in that car, I woved never to buy a dark Honda again. My current TL-S is silver. It's not the color I liked the most (the Antracite is BEAUTIFUL), but I know it's the color that would continue looking good for the longest time.
  • josephacurajosephacura Member Posts: 11
    I have to agree this will be a great car. I have heard it will have about 280 hp (has to have more to differentiate it from the 2003 Accord, V6 with 240). Acura will surely do the normal and release a 2005 Type S with about 305 hp, but they have to make the car have more torque.......the 96-98 TLs are very nice, the 2.5's are seem to be very quick off the start (that is what I have, it is the SAME as the 3.2, only a few thousand less). Acura seems to always get it right. I believe they really need to beef up the RL and sell it around mid $50's. Toyota/Lexus ruined the Camry/ES 300 with the design, the things are so ugly. I would take an acura any day over lexus....look for the 2004 TL to impress all your neighbors!
    What about the Diamond White Pearl?
    I think its the best color in the line up, obviously that's why I bought.

I know people are going to share a different opinion on this.
    If I had to get a TL, I'd get it in white. Not only is it the best color for summer, it also ages well. Dings, chips, scratches aren't very noticeable. And you can wash it, get spots or streaks, and no one sees em. Some cars look awful in white, but the TL looks pretty good in almost any color, except the gold. It looks best in black, but the problem is in a few years, it starts to look old, especially if you live in harsher climates.
  • notbrockyatesnotbrockyates Member Posts: 19
    This is a new-to-us '99 TL. There are gray streaks on the tires coming off the wheels in several places. Like a line drawn from the rim to the edge of the tire, radiating from the center. I don't know if it's related to brake dust residue or what. Anybody know what this is? Devil of a time getting it off the tires, too.
  • acuriousacurious Member Posts: 9
    Anyone know if nav sys requires subscription or just occasional download? And how are the 03' TL-S type brakes? I heard they wear rather fast. Thx.
    Is awd part of the plan for the future TL? 280hp is a lot for the front wheels and 305hp is not smart at all. I seriouldy doubt Honda would put that much power in a fwd-only car.

M