Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Oldsmobile Alero

Comments

• Options
    buoyantbuoyant Member Posts: 128
    Has anyone be able to confirm the rumor of the manual transmission's demise for 2002?

It seems logical to me that if they ARE swapping the 2.2 for the 2.4, they would continue to offer a manual transmission since Saturn offers it with the 2.2.

Of course, since it seems logical, GM probably isn't going to do it. I also heard a rumor that GM is going to start installing seats backwards as this provides greater occupant protection in frontal crashes. Probably true...
  • Options
    infinia1infinia1 Member Posts: 174
    per my just received motor trend..."want to buy one of the last oldsmobiles to come off the assembly line? here are the end dates for its models: the intrigue's last year is 02, which will also be the signoff for the short-lived aurora v6. the alero and silhouette dissapear after 04, and the aurora v8 is gone after 05. the just launched bravada is scheduled for as far out as 07, but will serve post-05 wearing another badge-probably buick." so sad...
  • Options
    dindakdindak Member Posts: 6,632
    I think you should be about to get that Alero for under C$24K, less if you are paying cash as they should give you an additional GM discount in lieu of the 0.9% financing.
  • Options
    rgarbacciorgarbaccio Member Posts: 42
    With the rebates and low financing on Oldsmobiles, the Alero just popped into my price range. I was set on a Civic EX which I would enjoy, but freakin' everyone drives one, and for some irrational reason, that bugs me. I love the Alero styling, and it would be my emotional buy. No argument for fuel economy, resale or reliability - Civic wins hands down. Question: How fun to drive is the V4 alero? Do I need to get the V6 to have fun with it?
  • Options
    I've driven a 4 cyl Alero rental and it was pretty fun (better than a Civic). I would thing a 5-speed would be even better. The 2.4L is quite reliable and the 4-speed auto should be bulletproof. I've notice Alero GXs going for about the same as a Civic in the papers here also. I'd take an Alero any day unless you are going to sell in 2-3 years.
  • Options
    marshal1marshal1 Member Posts: 68
    I rented an Alero V-6 last week while on business. It was an average car at best. For reference, I travel a lot on business and rent about 30 cars per year for usually a week at a time. The Alero had good handling and the V-6 was peppy. However, the Honda Civic is a much better quality vehicle. I owned a Civic SI w/manual transmission and it was a blast to drive. For whatever reason, Honda's and most Japanese cars just feel more solid and are of higher quality than GM vehicles. I would suggest you drive an Alero and then drive a Civic EX or SI if they still make it. In my opinion if you're looking for a fun, reliable, quality vehicle you can't go wrong with a Civic that has a high output VTEC engine. The Alero just doesn't compare. If you by a Honda, you'll thank yourself later when it comes time to sell. As you already know, the resale value on the Civic is great. I bought my Civic for around $12,500 in 1991 and sold in 3 years later for $9,500.
  • Options
    No doubt the Civic is a great car, but it's as dull as they come and they are a dime a dozen. I think everyone seems to get gray colored ones just to make it that much worse. I have not driven the new Civic, but the last generation ones do not compare to a V6 Alero in terms of power, style and handling. The 4 cyl is not as refined as the V6, but I'd still take one over a Civic any day. I also think the new Nissan Sentra is much more fun than any Civic I've driven.
  • Options
    Obviously, if you've never driven any Civic SI models (perhaps they don't sell the high output version in Canada) then you can't have an objective opinion. The Honda Civic SI which I owned was one of the most fun cars I've ever driven. I just did some research and the new 2002 Civic SI will have a 160 HP engine. I gaurantee you it will be a blast to drive as well. Coincidentally, I also previously owned a Sentra SER and it was also a great car and lots of fun to drive. On the other hand, the Alero V-6 which I rented last week was not what I would consider a fun car to drive. If you want a real fun car to drive in a similar price range I suggest you try the new mini cooper which is now made by BMW. Again, just my humble opinion.
  • Options
    You are correct, I have never driven an SI and YES they sell them in poor old Canada. I'm sure it would be better than a regular civic. It's still a Civic though and they are still way too common. I personally like to have something a little different and something with more style. You have to admit the Civic is pretty bland, not to mention pricey. I'd take a Sentra over a Civic.

Say what you like about the V6 Alero but it will outperform a Civic. I love taking my mom's Alero GL out for a spin when I visit her. Perhaps you are not used to all that V6 power and torque. ;-)
  • Options
    Okay, lets deal with facts not fiction. You claimed "the V6 Alero will outperform a Civic". According to Road & Track magazine (Perhaps you've heard of it in Canada), A 99 Honda Civic SI with 160HP did 0-60 in 7.4 seconds, 0-100 in 20 seconds, the 1/4 mile in 15.7 seconds and had a top speed of 130 mph. The 98 V-6 Alero GLS with 170HP did 0-60 in 7.9 seconds, 0-100 in 24.3 seconds (this is the worst time recorded by R&T for any car they have ever tested), the 1/4 mile in 16 seconds and had a top speed of only 112 mph. Those are the facts and as you can see the Civic SI easily outperforms the V-6 Alero.

Additionally, the Civic SI retailed for $17,000 vs. $21,500 for the Alero GLS V-6. Finally, the Civic SI got an average of 27 MPG vs. 18.6 MPG for the awesome Alero.

Once again, if someone is looking for a sporty, economical, well built car with exceptional resale value the Civic SI is a much better choice than the Alero V-6. It costs less, performs better and is more economical with higher resale value. However, I will admit that the Alero does look nicer than the Civic. As they say, looks aren't everything. Bring on the debates!
  • Options
    patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    If anyone wants to start an Alero vs. Civic SI comparison topic, please feel free to go to our Comparisons folder and do so. Just follow that link to find the right place.

If someone does create the discussion, I'll be happy to post a link here so that everyone can find it.

Certainly we can and will have some comparison conversation here from time to time. However, if folks are interested in extending a debate on the merits of the vehicle which is the subject of this discussion versus another very specific vehicle, the appropriate place to pursue that would be in a separate discussion.

Thanks.

Pat
    Host
    Sedans Message Board
  • Options
    Your snarky remarks/ spellings and responses are not really appreciated. If you want to have a clean debate, that's fine. I won't continue discussing with you if you are going to be rude and we are way off the original question anyway (a 4 cyl Alero vs a normally aspired Civic).
  • Options
    I'm not sure what snarky means. I apologize Dindank if I've offended you. That was not my intent. I thought we were just having a healthy debate. I suppose sometimes the truth does hurt. Anyway, I will not post anymore comparisons here for fear they will be removed by the cybergods and my Constitutional right to freedom of speech will be infringed upon once again. Goodbye!
  • Options
    Purposely goofing my user name over and over and making snide condescending comments would constitute snarkyness. I think being offensive is exactly how you argue. As for the truth, there is more to it than 0-60 times and gas mileage.
  • Options
    Thanks for defining "snarky". I've learned something already, which is one of the reasons I actually use these message boards. I'm originally from NYC where being snide and condescending is a way of life. I think sarcasm is actually the effect I was looking for. As for your username, I did not purposely misspell it. In fact, until you pointed it out I wasn't even aware of the misspelling. You Canadians sure are touchy! Kanti, I truly am sorry. No hard feelings, I hope. I did leave handling purposely out of the Civc vs. Alero equation. Why would I do that? Simple, the Alero did better in the R&T slalom than the Civic. Obviously that would have hurt my argument. Actually, I was hoping that you would infuse the handling issue into the debate (I guess it's my equivalent of a chess game). By the way, my dream car is also a Ferrari. I think we'll both agree that a Ferrari will outperform a Civic and an Alero :)
  • Options
    patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Okay folks, let's move on. Let's get back to talking about the Alero here instead of each other.

Again, if anyone wants to start a comparison discussion on the Alero vs. the Civic SI (or anything else), we would welcome that conversation in our Comparisons folder and I will be happy to provide a link here to that discussion.

Thanks.

Pat
    Host
    Sedans Message Board
  • Options
    Having grown up in a small village, I was brought up in a different world I guess. Although I work in the Toronto, I guess I'm still a bit too polite.

No big deal.

Back to the Alero Pat.

Do you know if the 2.2L for 2002 is a done deal?
  • Options
    b_bazinetb_bazinet Member Posts: 23
    The Civic and Civic SI sucks! As my Uncle used to say: "you can dress a pig in a silk suit but it's still a pig."
  • Options
    dodgeracefandodgeracefan Member Posts: 1
    In the market for a new car, I was looking at 4 different models. The Alero, Dodge Dakota 4x4 quad cab, Subaru GT Limited Legacy AWD, and the Chrysler Sebring Convertible. I ended up with the Alero just within the hour over the phone. Bronze Mist, Sun and Sound, GL 1SB Package, 3.4L V6 for $20,300. No dealer pep fee, $18 tag fee, and the dealer is cutting me a check for the $2K rebate. Edmunds lists the car at $19,946 dealer invoice. I tried hard for 20K, no deal. I choose the Alero for the price, rebate, and warranty. The Subaru was sweet, as were the other vehicles. I got all of those dealers at $700 under invoice, but they had dealer prep charges added. Of course I always wonder...did I get the best deal, but I feel I 've done good. I pick the car up Monday.
  • Options
    foxhoundsfoxhounds Member Posts: 5
    I got "sucker switched" by Hertz in the Netherlands. They substituted this Czech Republic car (supposedly owned by VW) for the Ford Focus I reserved. What a junker! It was great to get home back to my Alero.
  • Options
    dtownfbdtownfb Member Posts: 2,918
    I'm in the market for a new car and have decided to include the Alero in my search (mainly for the rebates and warranty). Most likely a 4-door, GL1. I have a few questions hopefully someone will be able to help me with.

1) Are the 2001 having the same problems with the rotors warping or has GM resolved that issue?

2) What kind of problems (if any) have people been experiencing with the Alero? Pleaseinclude any annoyanes as well.

3) What kind of gas mileage can I expect to get with the 4 cylinder and 6 cylinder? Real world experiences, please..I know what the sticker say.

4) GM has a reputation of re-using engines in their vehicles. How reliable are these engines?

5) Can anyone explain to me why the GL4 is cheaper (according to Edmunds) then the GL1 when it has the upgraded radio, larger tires and leather interior? Isa the GL 4 a "special" package?

Having owned a 1989 Buick Century for the past 4 years, I willing to try a new GM Product, if the price is right. Any other information or experiences you can share will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
  • Options
    What do you mean "re-using engines"??
  • Options
    ilovestsilovests Member Posts: 16
    I love my Alero GL2. The car is so sweet and no problems. Lots of compliments on it.
  • Options
    dindak,

What I mean by re-using engines is the fact that many of GM cars share engines and many have been derived from engines that have been around for decades. While they are reliable (in some cases), powerful and for the most, part feul efficient, they do tend to be rough sounding in some instances, like the 4 cylinder found in the Grand AM and Alero.
  • Options
    Ahhh.. Ya, the 2.4 is a bit rough, but it is reliable now and quieter than ever before. That being said, I would probably wait for 2002 and get the Saturn 2.2L equipped Alero if you are concerned.
  • Options
    evandroevandro Member Posts: 1,108
    Having had a 99 Alero GL V6 for over 30000mls, here's my take:

> 1) Are the 2001 having the same problems with the rotors warping or has GM resolved that issue?

I've never had a warped rotor. Although I've noticed in the past week that I may have to machine them...

> 2) What kind of problems (if any) have people been experiencing with the Alero? Pleaseinclude any annoyanes as well.

I've had a couple of windows seams reglued, an AC compressor replaced, as well as a battery, supposedely due to Texas' heat.

An annoyance is the B-pillar tilted towards the interior, where it limits head space a bit for tall people like me (6'5"), although I concede that it contributes for the car's good looks. Another annoyance is some subtle ratling coming from the center of the dashboard that comes and goes, but always returns when I drive it on rough roads (rarely).

> 3) What kind of gas mileage can I expect to get with the 4 cylinder and 6 cylinder? Real world experiences, please..I know what the sticker say.

I get about 23-24MPG commuting and about 28-29 in the highway with luggage for 4 occupants.

> 4) GM has a reputation of re-using engines in their vehicles. How reliable are these engines?

So far, no engine problem at all. Very peppy and rewarding, yet thrifty at the gas pump.

> Having owned a 1989 Buick Century for the past 4 years, I willing to try a new GM Product, if the price is right. Any other information or experiences you can share will be greatly appreciated.

I'm considering a GM product to replace my Stratus, along with the Accord. I forgot about Camry when I saw its tag for the V6, the same case with the Passat.

HTH
  • Options
    djdunndjdunn Member Posts: 4
    On October 15, 1998, I took delivery of a 1999 Oldsmobile Alero. Since that time, I have had numerous problems with this vehicle; some MAJOR and some not so major with the vehicle. Here is a brief history:

While under warranty:

1. Power steering pump replaced (within 2 years of delivery)

2. Battery leaking acid (October, 2000)

3. Brakes failed due to leaking battery acid, brake lines replaced (October, 2000)

4. Master cruise control switch replaced (December, 2000)

5. Problem with the AC fan not blowing except for on highest speeds (December, 2000)

6. AC fan blew and dash lights lit up when I "honked" the horn, but horn would not honk, using turn signal disengaged my cruise control, then it was turn signals would not work if the headlights were on, when hazard light button depressed all dash lights would come on. Extensive electrical work performed (December, 2000)

In January 2001, just prior to my warranty of 36,000 miles running out:

1. Window channel had to be repaired (A few weeks later - after warranty - another Window Channel begins to detach itself from the doorframe)
    2. Service Engine Soon light came on

So I took the car in again. I expressed my concern about the history of the car to my service advisor and requested that the service department go over the car with a fine-toothed comb. He told me that the warranty would not cover this type of service. At the time, short on funds, I was unable to afford the fee they would have charged (I can't remember exactly, but I think it was around $200).

I immediately called the Oldsmobile Customer Relationship service line to voice my concerns about a car, not even 2 ½ years old, that had required such major repairs. My only request was that they extend the warranty period. Their response was: "Let's take care of this problem, first". I never heard from them again and, regrettably, did not follow up with them. BTW: according to my service representative the Powertrain controller just had to be reprogrammed and there was really "no problem" after all. I'd say it's a "problem" when I see the number of people who hove experienced the same thing.

Then, on June 10, 2001 at less than 6,000 miles over the warranty, my car sputtered out in the driveway at my sister's house. I managed to drive (limp) it a half mile to a repair shop nearby. The diagnosis? Bad fuel pump, nearly six hundred dollars. Minutes before, we had been driving major highways and had just exited I-75. As I am sure you know, these highways can be very hazardous for breakdowns and vehicles that experience impaired acceleration.

I called the Oldsmobile Customer Relationship service line again. In short, they acknowledged that the car had a less than stellar history and said that if I sent them the repair bill, they would consider reimbursing the cost in part. I sent them the bill along with a letter requesting not only full reimbursement, but I also requested for the second time that the warranty extended to match the warranty they now issue with their current Alero models. They reimbursed me in full for the fuel pump repair. However, in the letter accompanying the check from Oldsmobile, dated June 25, 2001, they mentioned nothing about my request for extension of the warranty.

Saturday night at 10:30 or so, July 14, 2001, pulling off of I-75 (having driven the same route described previously) the Anti-Lock warning light came on. Shortly afterward the Brake warning light came on. Thankfully, I was only a short distance from my home.

Sunday, I call the dealership, and cannot get a call back from anyone. So I decided to clean the interior of the car. (had to do SOMETHING to get rid of angry energy!) When I was done, I go to start the car and....nothing. I figure the dome lights had been on long enough to drain the battery, so a neighbor comes over and jumps the car. It starts right up. I very slowly and carefully ('cause at this point I'm thinking there may be a brake problem - even tho the light did not come on this time), drive the car to the corner store, and leave it running while in the store to charge the battery (halfway hoping someone would steal it ;-} ). I get in the car, drive it into the carwash, where it dies. Couldn't push it out, so had to jump it again. Drove it out of the carwash, and ALMOST into a parking space (all lights on dash are going berzerk, now) when it died again.

Had it towed into the dealer where they tell me the alternator was bad (could it have gone bad so permaturely due to the earlier short circuiting??? Hmmmmm...just thought of that....). It would cost over $500 to fix.

I called Oldsmobile to open the case a THIRD time. At this point, money, the valuable time lost with repairs and lost use of the vehicle is not the issue.

As if this isn't bad enough, after reading all of the discussion on the rotor problems, I realized that at 30,000 miles Olds service "recommends" a brake job. I paid $179 bucks for a job that was being done for FREE everyday because of the TSB on these rotors! Talk about adding insult to injury!

I also have the scratches up and down the driver's side window as described in many discussions, but thankfully no leaks.

I could have been injured, even killed, due to multiple defects of this vehicle (praise and glory to God for His protection!) The defects I have experienced have NO DOUBT impaired the, USE, VALUE AND SAFETY, and ultimately completely eroded my CONFIDENCE in this vehicle. I have put my life at risk for too long and put too much faith in the SAFETY of this General Motors product.

I told the Olds service advisor that the ONLY reason I had it towed to the dealership across town (out of warranty, I could have taken it to my local shop) is that I have NO INTENTION of driving the vehicle off of their lot

Can a company such as GM get by with sticking a consumer with such a defective product? Or would I have had to have been maimed or killed before they would be forced to do the right thing?

That's my story and I'm sticking with it!

No, I'm not bitter ;-)..... Other than that I love the car...... hrrrrummmph
  • Options
    Only 43,000 miles on the car.
  • Options
    It sounds like you have the Alero from hell. There is obviously something very wrong with that vehicle. As far as the brakes are concerned, I would check with Olds for reimbursement esp. if you still have the receipt which shows the date the repair was done and the number of miles on your car. Unfortunately, I think you've had the car too long to qualify for "lemon law" although you may want to negotiate with Olds as far as a replacement vehicle.

Although I am not a fan of GM, I wouldn't be too quick to denounce the whole Olds line. Many people have had little problems with the Alero. But I must admit that I have taken the Alero off my list after test driving the Malibu, Civic and Accord. The 4 cylinder was just too rough for me (and the gas mileage is poor compared to the 6) and the 6 cylinder is more expensive then the Malibu which gives you more room and is cheaper (Chevy has $2000 cash back as well).

good luck with your car and keep calling Olds to complain.
  • Options
    I plan to get my money back for the brake job.

I called the NTHSA this morning to report that problem, even though it has been months since it happened. I felt it important information for their database....only wish I had done it sooner

As for the other people who have discussed problems with a leaking battery, I IMPLORE you, don't take this lightly! If there has EVER been evidence of a battery leak in your vehicle, GET YOUR BRAKE LINES CHECKED FOR DAMAGE!!!! Thanks be to God that mine failed in a parking lot! They could have just as easily failed on I-95!
  • Options
    It's too bad about your Alero. Have you considered lighting it on fire?

Then you could use the pay-off to buy a new one! If you bought your '99 Alero new, you qualify for the $1500 Olds owner loyalty rebate in addition to the $2000 fact rebate AND the free extended warranty.

It sucks getting a bad apple. But what are the odds of getting two in a row?
  • Options
    Sounds like a bad 1st year car. My mom has a 99 (bought in 98) and I feared she would have problems. Car has been great. Just bad luck I guess.
  • Options
    Thanks for the information Evandro. We took the Alero off the list. Here are some of the reasons:

1) Back seat makes you sit too low. Not a problem for since I don't ever plan to sit in the back seat but my child's car seat reclined way too much.

2) Noisy 4 cylinder engine. Sounded too rough for my tastes. Reminds me too much of its sister car the Grand Am

3) Price when compared to the Malibu. Malibu gives you standard 6 cylinder engine that gets better gas mileage then the Olds 4 cyl. plus more standard features. And it's larger esp. in the back seat. I like the Olds styling better but not enough to justify the extra cost.

4) Crash test. The poor showing in the crash tests needs to be addressed by Olds even if they plan to discontinue the model in 2004.

Thanks for all the information regarding the Olds. Good Luck with your cars.
  • Options
    Fred, good luck with the Malibu. A wise choice, IMO.
  • Options
    The Oldsmobile Area Representative has denied my request for a buy-back WITHOUT EVEN SO MUCH AS A COURTESY CALL TO ME TO MAKE SURE HE HAS THE FULL STORY. I asked repeatedly for this courtesy.

I also REPEATEDLY asked the the Customer Care Representative for a physical address for the General Manager of General Motor's Oldsmobile Division so that I could deliver a return receipt requested letter.

All she would give was a PO Box, stating that she could not find any information on a physical address. So I had to call directory assistance for Detroit, got the phone number for Headquarters, made the long distance all, and - VOILA!!! Had all of the information I needed. WHAT'S WITH THAT?

The letter was sent to the GM, Debrah Kelly-Ennis to be delivered before noon today.

I'll let you know what happens.

In the meantime....
    I am collecting support "signatures" for the cause. If you are willing, please email me at

alero@epicdomain.com

Just a quick line to say you have read my story on the internet, and you are in agreement that they really need to uphold their commitment to quality and customer satisfaction by replacing this defective vehicle.

Thank you so much!
  • Options
    There is a firewall between the upper management and consumer for an obvious reason: they don't have time to read the letter of every person unhappy with his or her automobile. It's still unlikely that Debrah will ever see your letter - even with the return receipt.

Also, if you're having problems with your car, it's beneficial for you to keep your demands reasonable. Unless you've got less than 10k miles on the car, you have gotten some use out of the car and should expect to pay for that use (which I assume you do).

While I'm sure you're being reasonable and polite when dealing with the reps, you'd be amazed by the number of people out there who expect brand new cars and birthday cakes when they have problems with their cars. In our litiguous society, there is a distinct group of people out there who consider situations like yours akin to winning the lottery jackpot. The reps have to deal with people like this all day - make sure you don't come across as one of them.

Finally, make sure you don't make the big mistake: telling a rep you won't ever buy a car from their employer again. It's astounding the number of people who use this technique - as if it were effective. Would you bend over backward for someone who has pledged never to return to your business again? Well, neither do they.

Ten bucks says if you asked for a voucher ($2000 or so) for a new Olds to help compensate for the trade-in loss, you'd get it. It might be worth considering if your time is valuable.
  • Options
    I agree, the Malibu is is a better value but, it's terrible boring to look at. Too bad the V6 Alero is a bit pricey. Next year's 2.2L will be a better 4 cyl though.
  • Options
    dr_cmbdr_cmb Member Posts: 8
    The bad, bad Alero thread has been a little depressing.... so I hope to cheer things up by writing that I just bought (two days ago) a new GL1 equipped with the V6 and I could not be happier with it. So far :-) . I had been lurking here and other places while I was making my decision---the incentives and warranty deal (plus my GM bucks) made this car hard to pass up.

I looked at the Malibu, too, and found it boring, and I agree with the person who said they didn't want a civic or an accord because everyone seemed to have one. The Alero is a fine looking car.

One quick question to other owners: do you feel that there's a bit of a delay in the start up? Seems I hold the key to start longer than in other cars, but I wouldn't know, having driven the same rice burner for the last 10 years that is all I can compare it to.
  • Options
    wolftagwolftag Member Posts: 2
    My '99 Alero also seems to take longer to start than most cars as well -- I think its normal.

I wish you luck with your Alero. I hope you have better luck than I've had.

And good luck getting service after the Olds dealerships start closing. I've already ran into problems (all the Olds dealerships near me are gone already). Both Chevy GM Goodwrench service centers I've went have REFUSED to do anything other than normal mantainance like oil change and brakes.
  • Options
    infinia1infinia1 Member Posts: 174
    after having repeated problems with the local oldsmobile dealer service department, i called oldsmobile to express my concerns. i specifically asked to take my alero the the only other gm dealer in town-chevrolet. they put me on hold for 3 minutes and came back with approval. even before this, the chevrolet dealer said that if i wanted they could do warranty work and just inform oldsmobile that i refuse service at their dealer. it was quite simple and well worth the effort. i am now happy again as the chevrolet dealer took care of things in 1 trip that the oldsmobile dealer hadn't in 3 trips! i even nicely expressed my concerns to the oldsmobile dealer manager/owner and he just walked away!!! i couldn't believe it!!! i'll say it once again-alero good, dealer bad!
  • Options
    mlm4mlm4 Member Posts: 401
    My girlfriend has owned her new Alero for three months now, and no problems whatsoever. All of the local Oldsmobile dealers are still in business and, since they also sell other GM product lines, have no plans to go out of business or stop servicing Oldsmobiles. Also, the Chevrolet dealership I purchased and service my Tahoe at is more than happy to take on any GM car - it is good for business, if nothing else, and it is more conveniently located than the Olds dealers. Keep in mind that many GM dealerships have separated their Goodwrench Service Plus (regular maintenance only) department from the regular service department, which does all the repair work above and beyond oil changes and brake adjustments.

As far as starting delays, I too have noticed this on the Alero. It seems to crank over for longer than it should, but it always starts.
  • Options
    dr_cmbdr_cmb Member Posts: 8
    Thanks for the remarks about the start up delay--that makes me feel better about it. The car does always start, and that's what matters.

I like this car more the more I drive it--it has a lot of pep. Gotta love that v6.
  • Options
    Yes, it takes a half a second or so more than I'm used to. Sometimes it doesn't start because I stop cranking before that extra half a second expires.

However, after almost 3 years, the delay has been consistent and I haven't noticed any increase.

And it sure is peppy! ;^)
  • Options
    Yesterday I stopped by a Buick dealer to buy some Dexcool coolant fluid.

As we all know, by only using that fluid to top off the engine coolant, the system will have to be flushed only every 150000mls or 5 years.

As it has been said here, whenever the oil is changed the service guy may replenish the fluids under the hood, including the coolant. However, if serviced at somewhere else other than a dealer, the coolant will most likely not be GM's orange fluid, but the regular blue one.

Well, if you're like me who doesn't take your car to a dealer to have the oil changed, keep an eye on the guy so that he won't do something wrong like this when he's working in the engine compartment.

HTH
  • Options
    Noticed the new 2.2L on the Alero produces 140hp (according to Edmunds). Why does the Oldsmobile version of the same engine get 5 hp more than the Saturn.
  • Options
    My guess for the extra oomph is a less restrictive exhaust system - or perhaps an Edmunds typo.

Well, it appears that the 2.2L will be available in the GL2 (as well as GX) model with the stick shift for 2002. I hope that is correct, because that scoots the little Oldsmobile toward the top of my new car shopping list.

Out of curiousity, has anyone driven a 2.2L Saturn with the stick shift? I'd like to hear from you if you have. Thanks!
  • Options
    The 5-speed L100 I drove was better than the automatic. Very smooth and very good power. Highly recommend unless you drive in stop and go traffic in which case an automatic is always a must.
  • Options
    burdawgburdawg Member Posts: 1,524
    Does anyone know when the 2002 is available?
  • Options
    mlm4mlm4 Member Posts: 401
    The '02s should be rolling into dealerships now. Two days ago I saw an Alero coupe in a new color, what I presume to be Tropic Teal, which is new for 2002.
  • Options
    Have not seen any yet. 2.2L should be a big improvement though.