Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Dodge Caravan/Chrysler Voyager

Comments

• abealiabeali Member Posts: 13
    How big is the screen? Can you plug external video sources to it? How about head phones? Cost of unit and Installation and where done would also be appreciated?

I am trying to find out more information about the AudioVox systems. I will try to search for their web site next, but if you have a quick reference I would be thankful!

Many Thanks!
  • pgs_28pgs_28 Member Posts: 34
    The Audiovox system comes with a drop down 6.8 inch LCD screen. I know they are coming out with a number of larger screens but the clarity diminishes with size so be careful. I have an A/C adapter under the front seat and the hook-up cables for the kid's N64 games. The sound can be pumped to wireless headphones or played through the car's speaker system. The sound will blow you away. It also has an antenae mounted inside on the rear side window. It fits between the overhead storage area and the overhead rear heater/AC controls. Cost of this system with 3 wireless headphones is about $2400 tax in.... of course that is Canadian dollar. If you convert it to US buck it's about $150.00 bucks... HA The VCR... basic.... is mounted under the backseat on a little platform. Audiovox does have a website so check it out. And call the company for their list of dealers and find out about their new screen sizes.
  • stacystacy Member Posts: 91
    I saw 13" tv audiovox system w/ vcr on yukon xl put in at irvine, CA GMC dealership - what a great idea - the 13" blows away the 6" even w/ a small loss of clarity so the big screens are out there and the dealers are putting them in!
  • babyangels1babyangels1 Member Posts: 2
    Wow.. I've been reading every single post in this forum tonight! What a great source of information! I'm so glad I found this place! THanks to the dealer who tipped me off about Edmunds!

After months of anticipation of getting the new model Suburban for my growing family... I've now jumped in feet first to the minivan market... a market I SWORE I would NEVER venture into! (Like so many others!) I consider myself a stylin' mom.. and didn't want to be characterized as the mommy-mobile typical suburbanite... Well... after driving the DC's and TC's... I've become a believer!!

I've driven the DC ES FWD.. fully loaded and the T&C Ltd. AWD. I loved both of them... I've always thought I would go for the AWD due to our location in WEstern Washington.. near the mountains and passes. I've driven a 92 Ford Explorer since we bought it new... and have enjoyed the 4WD option! Can't say we used it a ton.. but occasionally..

The AWD T& C Ltd. I drove today in that great Steel Blue color felt a lot "heavier" or sturdier than the DC ES FWD... However, after reading all the posts about the 2100 rpm humming noise.. not so sure I want to deal with all that... .Basically, I have a 1 year old and a 4 year old and I want the ease of the access that the Minivans offer. We only travel over the passes on the way to my grandfather's house... and honestly in the 2 years we've lived in Washington.. haven't used the 4WD but once or twice... What major advantage does the AWD offer me???
    As far as the looks go... either one is fine.. I kinda think the the DC is a little sportier looking.. but being the materialistic gal I am.. at times... I like all the bells and whistles the T&C LTD offers.. My biggest complaint is the bench only 3rd row option of the Ltd... I can see where it would be rather a pain to take out.. I was told by the saleperson today that the two buckets could interchange with the back bench.. correct??? IF so.. then I guess it would still work for us... but the split bench is more versatile overall. ANy comments on the real space and comfort between that back bench vs. the split?

I have also read about touring packages, different wheel sizes,etc.. I am getting so lost... I didn't know I had so many options! Guess I won't complain.. i was very unimpressed with the Hondas myself... not too many options and after growing up with Hondas all my life.. and wrecking a few myself :o) I'm not thrilled to listen to that whiney high pitched start up of the engine!!! ( Had to throw that in for the Honda man... sorry!) Since he insists on hanging out here.. guess he'll just have to smile at our contrary opinions!

Anyhow.. back to my topic... the road noise... I was told that the T&C Ltd.. had less road noise than the Dodge counterpart... correct? What about the LTD. vs. the LXI?? Any road noise diffs?

Love that interior of the LTd.. so nice! Did a test drive in real conditions too... 2 kids in carseats and mom in the back with one of them.. Now that's a test drive! Mom thought that the back row was very roomy and comfy.. couldn't believe how smooth and quiet the ride was either! Just add my entertainment system.. tv/vcr.. we're set!

I'd love to hear back any opinions on the AWD vs. the FWD and the DC ES vs. the TC LXI or LTD...
    Thanks so much!!!
    Hi

I just bought a T & C in steel blue with the taupe leather interior. I love the look and it's easier to keep clean than the dark blue leather that would show every crumb dropped by my 3 kids.

I just got my van back from the dealership. I had it in for the humming noise. He made sure the spare was square in it's bay and tightened down a heat shield. This has minimized the problem but it is still there. But not to the point of bothering me anymore. I was given a GC
    Sport model and noticed the vibration noise was on it too but much more noticable. It would drive me nuts. The dealership also replaced the trim on the driver side door and that got rid of some air noise. I still hear outside wind on the front windshield and that will never go away. The reality is that it's a van.... big and bulky. There is going to be some wind noise. By adding more insulation to the vehicle has meant that noises that weren't heard before are now more prevalent. But the stereo is great!!!! ha

I have the Limited model. It has traction control and I live in Toronto Canada. We don't exactly have dog sleds here... actually we are further south than 20% of the US. However we did get snow this year and the traction control made a huge difference. My old vehicle was a 1998 GC Sport so I can tell the difference.

The vehicle is petty and smooth unlike the Honda product. But I will admit that the Honda is roomier. You can't beat the lluxury of a T & C. I love the look, the color, the leather, the cd player, the instrument panel... everything. And if you think the automatic tailgate is gimicky then you would be wrong. I can't believed I ever survived without it. The van is solid and run great on the highway.

Is it perfect..... nope. But my research said it was the best available with the amenities that I wanted.

Test drive them and pay attention to wind noise and acceleration. Take someone and carry on a conversation. I love to hear your feedback.

I bought in Toronto and paid $26,800 Canadian NET including my trade-in of a 1998 GC Sport with 43K on it.

PGS
  • geoduckgeoduck Member Posts: 52
    Well, Mom, we are in similar situations as your family: live in Western WA, have a baby and a 3yr old, and travel over the mountain passes fairly infrequently.

We purchased a 2001 AWD LXi with the split bench in back and tricked it up to almost all the features of a Limited. We also had test driven the near equivalent AWD Grand Caravan model. It just seemed a little noisier all around, and the creature comforts seemed a tad more spartan.

I do think the Dodge is available with 17-in tires which may improve handling, but I am thrilled with the T&C handling already.

The issue of rear split bench vs. the three-across seating of the Limited is tough. We packed the vehicle with bodies the other day; two car seats maxes out the rear split bench. But when company goes away, at least my wife can remove a half and create decent space for diaper changes,and toddler acrobatics.

AWD is worth it where we live by far! Don't you think your kids will want to play in the snow on the way to Grandpa's? We took it out extensively in around icy, snow-covered Snoqualmie Pass roads and it worked as well as our SUV. Another few years of exploring WA will bring you into places where AWD is handy.

Limited is as quiet as the LXi, but with AWD you do get a noticable rumble at 2100 rpm. My full sized spare does not contact the exhaust system, so that is a rule out for noise causation. The noise is only noticable because the vehicle is so amazingly quiet, it doesn't deserve much weight in your decision.

Dodge, T&C, or Suburban you can't go wrong.
  • mnoutdoorsmnoutdoors Member Posts: 19
    I just took my 2001 AWD I&I in to the dealer about the low frequency noise. They have 4 customers with this problem including the demo the owner uses. They checked others on the lot and they exhibit it as well. They don't have any solution but did mention they were instructed by the regional office to try a couple different fixes - no luck though. They feel the good news is that this is consistent at a given PM over a wide range of vehicles - but no promises of course. The only other info they provided was that with vacations and Jan shutdowns, a lot of the Chrysler Engineers have been out on vacation.

The other thing I did was register the problem with the Chrysler Customer Service Group - 1-800-992-1997. I figured it couldn't hurt.
  • kirkvolkkirkvolk Member Posts: 1
    Today I started negotiating for a new T&C LXi. I have been successful in negotiating for the dealer's incentive to varying degrees. Although, I have been unsuccessful to convince any dealerships to waive the advertising fee or surrender any holdback. Has anyone been successful in negotiating the advertising fee or holdback in addition to the dealers incentive and if so - how did you do it?
  • babyangels1babyangels1 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks to PGS and Geoduck for your responses on the big decision making!! It is really helpful to have your opinions to help me with this decision.

Geoduck... we must be neighbors.. I'm in Issaquah.. on the plateau.. Klahanie.. how about you? I can see where the AWD would be an advantage as we venture to the pass more... we just haven't yet since we've been there...except to drive to my grandpa's in The Dalles, OR.

The split bench vs. the Ltd. bench is the major decision I have left to decide on.. Still a bit concerned about the AWD noise that everyone is talking about. I will definitely be driving another AWD to see for myself about that noise! :o)

My cousin's husband is a Chrysler/Dodge dealer owner in Oregon.. he also told me to go one step down to the LXI and just option it to death... like you did. I am considering doing so... I haven't actually looked in and sat inside a "tricked out" LXI... if there is such a thing! HA! Never thought I'd ever consider ANY minivan.. "tricked out". What a riot! I still see those great looking new Burbs and love the way they look... way up high above everyone else.. safe and sound.. but out pocket some gas money!

Negotiations.. I'm reading about the invoice, rebates, incentives, holdbacks, advertising... agh!!! I just thought I'd come up with a number that I'd researched and present it to the dealer.. they can take it or leave it... Or.. I can try to convince my cousin's hubby that he really SHOULD give us a great deal.. we are family!
    Any advice as to where to start..?? Where did you buy yours Geoduck?? Bellevue or ??? Can I ask how much you paid???? What options did you add?

Thanks so much for any help!!!
    Maria
  • wevkwevk Member Posts: 179
    For some odd reason the "touring suspension" is not available on the LTD. That and the split rear seat were the reasons we went with a fully optioned T&C LXi (including the load leveling)
    wvk.
  • pkdlpkdl Member Posts: 10
    I drove a Caravan ES with touring, but no tow package, and it was nice. Great blend of ride and handling. (17inch wheels in this instance)

I also drove a T&C with tow package, but no touring. It did not seem to ride or handle as well. (16 in inch wheels this time)

What happens when you get them both?
    Maria,
    We are out West Seattle ways. Still seems like a small town out there.

Suburbans are nice, but too long for my wife to feel comfy with in the city. It also would have been tougher for both sets of grandparents to get up and in.

My wife and I are usually a great team when it comes to negotiating anything. However, when car shopping we figured a nursing baby and an active almost 3 year old would put us at a distinct disadvantage during negotiations. The dealer could just wait us out until either or both of our kids would lose it (you know what I mean!) and then our energy and resolve falls apart. I also had just started a new job and didn't have chunks of time off to play haggle.

Because I was unwilling to deal with anything other than being a good father and (new employee), we went through Greenlight.com. Ended up working good--not great--but well worth the savings of time and hassle.

Our deal was before the rebates and Chrysler's public problems so I think you can get a better deal today. Be sure you know exactly what you want in the vehicle; most of the online car buying services will allow you to pick options and see invoice prices.

Consider at least two approaches after you ID what is important:
    1)Ask you cousin's husband to sell it to you at invoice less rebate--they get a holdback anyway and need to turn inventory.

2)Try Greenlight or carsdirect. Greenlight has a network in each state, but in my case the car they found was out of network, but it didn't matter: dealing with everyone was easy. We went to Kirkland and had an excellent experience with the fleet manager.According to Greenlight, auto brokers in WA (and one other state, maybe NE) cannot profit on the deal, so the price to us was very reasonable.
    The dealer was also wondering how Greenlight could profit at the price we bought the vehicle at. All I could say is, "hey, it's the internet, what's making money got to do with it."
  • tomtomtomtomtomtom Member Posts: 491
    After you got all the information/ price online. Send a fax or email to the Fleet manager of each Chrysler dealers around town and let them quote you. You can even use a different name to send to your cousin's hubby's dealer and see what they can offer. For your info., I paid $30,600 (in California) for my 2001 T&C Ltd. after $4600 dealer discount plus $1000 Chrysler rebate
  • viper1996viper1996 Member Posts: 1
    Does anybody know when thw 2001 models will have safety crash tests done? Should the new ones do better than the old ones???

Really like our Dodge dealer and want to buy a Grand Caravan or maybe a Town/Country but with recent small additions also want the best in safety and dont want to buy a Ford! (Burned 2 times already).
  • baniruddhabaniruddha Member Posts: 2
    I was told that the new minivans though look similar have lots of new parts in it.

Considering Chrysler's reputation for quality, it may not be a good idea to buy these minivans during first year of their production. Usually it's a good idea to wait for 2 years and allow them to take care of these problems.
  • walterchanwalterchan Member Posts: 61
    I'm just wondering if both of this engine creates low frequency noise. I'm interested in the 3.3L V6 engine and wanted to find out if there is any low frequency engine noise.
  • walterchanwalterchan Member Posts: 61
    Try a 2001 Honda Odyssey because it has excellent reliability with a 5-star crash safety rating. It's also roomy as well. I just found out that the Honda Odyssey problems is reducing in numbers. The 2001 Odyssey should be the fewest since 1999.

Also, if you don't like the Odyssey, try a 2001 Toyota Sienna with excellent reliability with a 5-star crash safety rating. The cargo is small.
  • rolfe2rolfe2 Member Posts: 81
    Walterchan -- the only reports I've seen regarding this noise are from all wheel drive owners (myself included). I don't think you can get an AWD without the 3.8L engine.

--rolfe.
  • keygokeygo Member Posts: 38
    I have been driving An AWD 1992 Caravan for over 174,000 mile. During the time I have found it to be excellent. Living in Michigan, I have had it in lots of snow, ice and bad weather. I have never been stuck and it has been tested. If I get another Dodge, it will be AWD. However, I have had so many problems over the years (including three tramissions, brake problems...) and the company has been so unrepossive, that I am forgoing the AWD and buying a Honda. I find assurances that the transmission problems are fixed (the same I got when I bought mine and put hate next two in) hard to believe. Now if the company put some warranty behind it - say 100,000 miles- I might buy another.
    Hi... I own a 2001 T & C LTD... 3.8L engine and I don't have AWD. The noise is terribly annoying. I had it in for service twice for this problem and no answer has been found. The loaner car they gave me was a 2001 GC Sport. It doesn't have the 3.8L engine and it too make the noise. I suspect the noise is related to the transmission or exhaust. But until Chrylser can FIND it and FIX I would recommend you STAY AWAY from Chrysler products. Print all the articles on this subject and call Chrysler or see a dealer. This noise will annoy you too... and for $50K Canadian, we should expect more!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Anyone make any headway on this problem... happens around 2000 to 2200 RPM...you can feel the vibration in the gas pedal expecially at slow speeds!!!

Good Luck... do yourself a favor and look at other products. Write me if you have any news PGS_28@hotmail.com Thanks
  • kkshinkkshin Member Posts: 13
    On 01/24/2001, I met with regional technical representative from Chrysler about low frequency noises and vibrations for my 2001 Chrysler Town & Country Limited AWD. I have explained to him about what the dealership has done on the car in order to resolve the problem [after numerous visitation at the dealership, they changed my vehicle’s transmission to isolate the problem yet the problems become worse than before]. I have indicated what was the problem as we are test-driving the vehicle. After a day, he called and he explained the following things are done on the vehicle for the solution:
    1. Adjusted rear end forward to center carrier bearing hanger
    2. Isolated rear a/c hoses
    When I got the vehicle, the noises are still there and vibrations are still vibrating through gas pedal. There are NO IMPROVEMENT with the vehicle.

So, here are my thoughts: there are problems with their products and Chrysler’s customers are complaining about these problems. Chrysler’s engineers, technicians, and customer supports are ignoring these problems and not listening to their customers. Obviously they will lose their customers (I know that I will never purchase their product ever again after this vehicle). My suggestion is DO NOT PURCHASE ANYTHING FROM CHRYSLER. If you are in a market for a minivan, then purchase yours from elsewhere.
    Great post. Thanks for the information. This if very, very frustrating. Every vehicle I have driven has this problem in various degrees. My T & C LTD Fwd has it less than other Chrysler vehicles I have driven. The question now becomes what is a consumer to do. The great thing about this forum is that it has the potential to reach a large number of readers. I am willing to try anything and would welcome anyone's suggestions as to what we might be able to do.

I paid big bucks for this van and this is totally unacceptable!!!!!!!!! To the person who wrote post #473... what is vehicle&#8217? Is this a unique serial number or transmission reference??? Also ... what is your plan of attack.

PEOPLE>>> DO NOT BUY A 2001 MINIVAN FROM CHRYSLER!!!! THIS PROBLEM IS SERIOUS AND YOU SHOULD NOT ACT UNTIL IT HAS BEEN RESOLVED!!!!

If anyone has any info please email me at pgs_28@hotmail.com. Thanks. BTW... I"m from Toronto Canada.
  • dmathews3dmathews3 Member Posts: 1,739
    Are you writting your responses using someother word processor? If so it is putting those %$#%$$ in it. If you don't want to just type it after posting it you have 30min. to edit it. Please do so as those extra #$%^%$ detract from the post and confuse a lot of people.
    Do you guys know the time period of your 2001 T&C Ltd. FWD was built? Mine was built some time in Oct (or the dealer took deliver in Oct) and I couldn't hear the noise (lucky me) you guys mentioned. Is the noise coming from the spare tire like the other posts mentioned? Or it came out of the engine only at 2100rpm? Pgs_28, if you have the same problem with the other cars you owned, what have you done about it?

Maybe, that's why Chrysler have one of the best car audio system installed...just to cover the noise :-)
  • kcjamjkcjamj Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I just purchased a 2001 T&C on 1/24/01. I absolutely love it - EXCEPT for this irritating wind noise. It sounds like there is a window open - all of the time. It is going in to the Service Dept. on Wed. to be looked at. Has anyone else ever experienced this wind noise? I'd really appreciate your responses. Thank you.
    Hi Again

I had wind noise coming from the driver side door and they replaced some of the rubber moudling. The noise is coming from the side view mirrors and the roof rack. Although they talk about the fact that they were redesigned to minimize it. Ha My theory is that the vehicle has so much sound insulation that the noises that you would not notice as easily are coming through as if they were very loud. My 1998 did not make this kind of noise... but then I couldn't talk to the people in the back of the van.

The low frequency vibration and noise is more like a rumble that one feel on the accelorator pedal. Push lightly on the pedal until you reach around 2000 to 2200... go up hill works best. Turn off the stereo and be aware of the gas pedal. You will feel it my friend.

pgs_28
    To all:
    The “&#8217” in my previous post is text problem. It means nothing. Somehow it was inserted as I was typing and up-loading my post.
  • drew_drew_ Member Posts: 3,382
    If you type your posts in a word processor and then copy and paste the text into the post box, the weird codes will appear in place of apostrophes. Try using an ASCII compatible text editor (ex. Notepad) or typing directly into the text box.

Hope this helps!

Drew
    Host
    Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards
  • abealiabeali Member Posts: 13
    It is interesting that all the previous reports of the low frequency vibration/noise seem to be coming only from the Chrysler T&C AWD! Has anyone out there experienced this on the Dodge GC? I have reviewed all the posts here and I don't think anyone reported them on the Dodge - unless I missed it somewhere?

The reason I ask is that I am just about to buy a 2001 Dodge GC FWD. I drove one a couple of weeks ago and there was nothing wrong with that one. It was very quite and smooth. I would appreciate hearing from the Dodge owners out there about their experience.

Does anyone know if the Dodge GC and the Chrysler T&C are produced in the same factories?

By the way, I have owned a 98 GC for the last 3 years and I put 45K on it. This van was a great car for me with no problems either.
    It seems like our experiences are quite different in this aspect--my T&C is remarkably quiet even with the 2100 rpm rumble. My three year old sits in the back row and we conduct conversations (no yelling) with and without the music going.

Hope yours is just a loose gasket or molding.
  • jackfactorjackfactor Member Posts: 25
    Hello,

My wife and I are in the market for a mini van now that we have a little one and we were looking into the T&C. She is one of those US only people which I am not as I drive a Lexus ES300 and had a Camry before that. Although it sounds like the Honda Odyssey would be a great choice - we are looking for leather seats which the Honda does not have. We like the power doors and lift gate as well as everything else although we wish they had a magic third row like the Honda. All in all we are were thinking of buying at the end of the model year to see if we could save some money as the 02's come out. With all of this talk about the noise and vibrations it seems that my full confidence in this purchase is now suspect. We of course will test drive the T&C and compare the FWD to the AWD but since we live in the snowy north we would usually opt for AWD. What should I look for in the test drive to make sure I can live with the purchase after. Otherwise we may wait for the 2002 model to see if the problem is fixed.
    I have posted many messages regarding to low frequency noises and vibration on this site, because I figured this is very important to those who have infants. When I got my 2001 T&C, my baby was crying every time when he was riding in the new vehicle. Thus far, I had to spend additional $200 on earplugs for my baby's hearing protection due to the problem. Moreover, this problem is very annoying to adults and think about what this can do to an infant?. At this point, I realized the problem is not acceptable for what I have paid for ($38K in US Dollars). I initialized the reporting of this problem to the dealership and Chrysler's customer support, but their response to this is "we don't care..." I would like to caution those who are in market for minivan especially for those who are thinking about 2001 T&C AWD. Please look for this problem as you are test-driving the vehicle. The details of this problem are described in my previous posted messages along with other people's posted messages as well.
    Good luck!
  • babyangelsbabyangels Member Posts: 32
    Ok... I posted last week looking for help in my decision on buying a TC AWD vs. a DC ES, etc... I received numerous responses from people who loved their TC LTd's AWD and FWD's... I was getting ready to buy... just like "Jackfactor" in 483's post...

However, now people who loved their TC LTD's are saying that they would never buy a Chrysler product again, the noise requires earplugs for infants, etc... I personally am really confused.

I have test driven the DC's and the TC AWD's several times now. I did hear the low noise at 2100 rpm's.. but mainly felt the little vibration on the gas pedal. In no way did I think that this noise/vibration would hinder me from buying this car. I cannot imagine that if this noise is indeed the SAME noise that the rest of you are hearing that it would cause a child to have earplugs, etc... I didn't even notice the sound/vibration the first two times I test drove these vans... I only went back after reading this board and decided to see if there really was something to all these posts about the noise at 2100 rpm's.

I do agree that there is definitely something that Chrysler needs to do to fix the little vibrations.. however unless the noise/vibration becomes worse over time (ie. louder, etc..) I cannot begin to conceive of it causing as much stress and discomfort as has been listed on this board. Maybe some vans have a louder or stronger vibration than others??? It is possible... the 4 vans I've driven have all sounded the same and not one of them would deter me from buying this van... I test drove in real conditions.. ie.. my mom and 2 kids in the van with me one of the times. With kids talking, crying, etc... and the radio going... how could you hear that noise???? I think as many others have said.. that these cars are SO sound proof that we hear more noises that would have otherwise blended into our "usual road noise".

So.. what is deterring me?? The safety ratings.. I'm waiting until they come out. I have a 1year old and a 4 year old and in all good conscience cannot buy a car/van without knowing how it tested on the safety side! I am getting ready to test drive a Honda Odyssey that does have some of the upgrades I would require to make me sway that direction... leather seats, TV/DVD, upgraded stereo.. (all the REALLY important stuff!) :o) (joke.. ha!)

At this point.. I'm on hold.. waiting to see how the Odyssey test drive goes... and to see where the TC's and DC's end up with the safety ratings. I'm still not totally convinced that the Suburban isn't the way to go... have to check the safety ratings on that one next! When will the TC's and DC's be rated?? ANYONE know?????

Like "Jackfactor" I may also wait until 2002 and see what changes the Odyssey makes.. maybe adding an electric rear hatch.. better options, etc... JAckfactor.. you can get the leather, TV/DVD's, etc... after market... It puts the price in my area.. (WA State) at around 33-34K...

Good luck to all of you with the "noise" problems... I hope it does get resolved... I just can't see the seriousness of it in the models I've driven. I'm not saying it isn't a problem.. just haven't had any experiences such as any of you...
    Ok, So I left this topic and went to the T&C vs. Odyssey topic and saw this article that says that since Chrysler is losing so much share to Honda that they are coming out with a new version called an EX in March of this year just after releasing the 2001 redesign. Does that make sense? I hope all of you that purchased 2001's won't be mad when you read this if it is true. I am definitely waiting to find out more about this. This will be great if it is true.

http://www.auto.com/industry/dcx27_20010127.htm

• dmathews3dmathews3 Member Posts: 1,739
    Go with the Honda, you can get aftermarket leather for between $1300-1600 if you look. Classic Softtrim has some real nice leather and all of your seats are leather, not just the part you sit on. Also most vans 3rd seats are vinyl where the classic is also ALL LEATHER. Same goes for the frt. doors and sliders. Check out the Classic site at www.classicsofttrim.com
    Hi there...

Yes.. there is a new EX model of the T&C coming out in March. My relative is a Chrysler dealer and here is all the info. he's given me...

The new EX will be made to compete with the Honda Odyssey as far as the price range. The EX will go for around 27-28K. It comes standard with features such as the automatic doors & lift gate, removeable console, 16" touring tires, traction control, 3.5 V6, 215 hP, 4 wheel disk brakes, side airbags (Option) and 5 color options... There are NO other options you can add... such as leather, heated seats, etc.. etc...

This is basically a similar model to the LX.. however you get some of the Options as standard on the EX. The drawback to me is the lack of leather seating, upgraded sound system, etc... I won't buy the EX. I am still going to wait for the Crash testing on the T& C's to see if the LXI or Ltd. are still options for me.

The T& C ltd. and LXI's definitely have the options and the comfort that so many of us desire. This is why so many of us have avoided the Odyssey. dmathews is correct about the Ody having the aftermarket leather options.. as I said in my post 485. The Ody I drove first was the standard one and I was not impressed with comfort or options available. I will see if my views change after driving the ODy with the nice leather seating and that great TV/DVD option! (My 4year old will love that on long road trips.. which we take often!).

Obviously you can't avoid the safety ratings either. I don't think I'll choose the Ody yet until I can compare the actual crash testing of the TC's.. Honda does have the name behind it vs. Chrysler and all the issues that follow with it. I'm really starting to think that the wait until 2002 won't be such a bad idea. Maybe Honda will add that auto liftgate and other options to make it a great package for all of us... ON the other hand (devil's advocate here) maybe Chrysler will offer a TC with a magic seat (doubtful) and leave out the seemingly ( to some) annoying vibrations in it's AWD's... And.. lower the price to boot! HA!

I'm in the same boat as you... just sitting back and waiting!

Maria
    This if very, very frustrating. Every vehicle I have driven has this problem in various degrees. My T & C LTD Fwd has it but less than other Chrysler vehicles I have driven. The question now becomes what is a consumer to do. The great thing about this forum is that it has the potential to reach a large number of readers. I am willing to try anything and would welcome anyone's suggestions as to what we might be able to do.

I paid big bucks for this van and this is totally unacceptable!!!!!!!!! I know this may seem like a little thing to some people but trust me it will irritate the hell out of you. I love my T&C but this problem has to be resolved.

PEOPLE>>> DO NOT BUY A 2001 MINIVAN FROM CHRYSLER!!!! THIS PROBLEM IS SERIOUS AND YOU SHOULD NOT ACT UNTIL IT HAS BEEN RESOLVED!!!!

If anyone has any info please email me at pgs_28@hotmail.com. Thanks. BTW... I"m from Toronto Canada.
    The EX is a good idea for folks who desire a low-to-mid line vehicle with some high-tech door controls and a few other things as well for a reasonable price. The key for consumers is to know thy requirements and the subsequent market offerings.

We were strictly looking for both AWD and high-end amenities, so a spiffed-up LXi fit the bill just fine. If AWD is a must-have requirement, then one's minivan choices are pretty lean-Chrysler says that only 5% of their minivan sales are AWD. Having that marketplace limitation was a relief. And we got a great vehicle to boot.
  • scannerscanner Member Posts: 295
    Is it coming from the Trolls or is it coming from the Honda salesmen?
    I agree with pgs_28.
    To all, please be advised on the low noises and vibrations problem.

DO NOT PURCHASE CHRYSLER'S MINIVAN TILL THEY HAVE RESOLVED THIS PROBLEM.

FYI:Dodge Grand Caravan AWD is built in same factory as Chrysler's Minivan. These vehicles also have low frequency noises and vibration problem.
  • egrandegrand Member Posts: 14
    Gee I wonder if pgs_28 and kkshin are the same troll Duh
    Yeah, I was just starting to wonder about that too. Also, notice pgs_28 would repost his message whenever somebody is interested in buying a T&C. No offend pgs_28 but if you really can't stand that noise problem, why don't you sell your car now?

I hope the following comment won't offend anybody, this is just my observation and my experience. pgs_28 and kkshin, are you two Asian? The reason I said that is many Asian people have a thing against American cars and they love Japanese cars.
    To Egrand

You are obviously on the wrong board. Go and play with the kids at Toys R Us and someday when you grow up and can talk intelligently about purchasing a 36K automobile then come back. In the meantime, keep your comments to yourself.

Thank you on behalf of those who use this forum responsibly.
    Asian? Ha...not that there is anything wrong with that. I am Irish and think that this issue is important to perspective Chrysler owners. So far Chrysler has done nothing to alleviate the concerns of those who have found this problem. I repeat the message only as a means of keeping the problem in the eyes of viewers in hopes someone, someday might have a solution to this problem. Think of it as a public service.
  • egrandegrand Member Posts: 14
    Seems I've hit a raw nerve somewhere. You really don't own a Town & Country do you. Bought an Odyssey and regret it? (just a joke O.K.) I do belong on this board. My 2001 T&C Limited is my third Chrysler Minivan. Previous were 1988 Dodge caravan and 1994 Town & Country. I have had the car for one month now and can say this is truly the best auto I have owned. I have four kids and fine the blending of size comfort and luxury to be wonderful FOR ME. I am not saying the Chrysler vans are perfect for everyone. I am sorry you regret your purchase. Keep smiling.
    Thanks babyangels. I went to the Chrysler site and they had the EX under Build Your Own. You are right although I think you can get the 3.8L not that that is a major concern. The leather and fact that you cant get it in steel blue are a concern as well as the other accessories. At this point I am waiting to see if the rumors of massive discounting will come true. We are in no hurry as my wife has a 99 Explorer Eddie Bauer that we will be selling before we buy the mini van. It will also be interesting to see if this noise issue is real and if it will be fixed for 2002 or in the later year production if there is any with all of the layoffs. I am sure that the noise level is less than our truck.
    It appears that my top choice would be the LXI AWD or the Limited in Steel blue with the Navy leather - and potentially the mopar entertainment-video center. Did anyone get the video and is it good? It is VCR not dvd -Ii wonder if they will be making a dvd one.
  • grplavloffgrplavloff Member Posts: 138
    "I cannot imagine that if this noise is indeed the SAME noise that the rest of you are hearing that it would cause a child to have earplugs, etc..."

I think that someone is heading towards a lawsuit or perhaps just engaging in a bit of hyperbole.
    My question to those folks who have serious problems with their new T&Cs: have you gone through the formal problem resolution process that Chrysler offers? If so, how far along the journey are you?

Does Canada have some kind of lemon law protections pgs_28? How about Alabama, Kkshin?
    grplavloff... Are you responding to me or to pgs_28 in regards to your comment?

I honestly hope you don't think I was the one over-exaggerating or going for the lawsuit???? I was only responding to pgs_28 comments about how terribly noisy his/her TC Ltd.. is... "damaging to her infant/child", etc...

I just don't see the noise as a serious issue. As I stated earlier.. it may be worse in some models than in others... but I just don't hear it or feel it as a serious issue. I have a hard time believing that the noise I'm hearing could possibly be the SAME noise that pgs_28 and kkshin are hearing.

Geoduck... I'm glad to hear you STILL Like your TC... you leave me hope.. At this point I'm ruling out the Odyssey until they offer a split bench in the back. I WILL need the capability to have a 3rd seat in the back row... and would like the convenience of the split bench and being able to take out 1/2 of the 3rd row for more storage. I have a friend who bought the SIenna for the same reason... ruling out the Odyssey for the full bench only option.

Please keep me posted on your TC LTd... it is still the best option I see.. however would really like those crash ratings! :o)

Maria
  • drew_drew_ Member Posts: 3,382
    You may be very interested to know that tonight'sDateline NBC programme will be covering the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety's 5 mph bumper crash tests on a variety of vehicles, including the Chrysler minivans. Just so you know, the full 40mph IIHS offset crash tests are usually conducted about a month after these bumper crash tests. So, you may not have to wait for long!

Drew
    Host
    Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards