Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

BMW 5-Series Sedans

Comments

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,312
    Geeze, Anon.... what's with the hostility? So some of us find dipsticks useful.... so sue us. No one is questioning technology.... when appropriate, we simply don't agree that this particular "step forward" is so great.

Exactly.

You are ignoring the point of my post - at least with the tire pressure monitor one does have the option of using a gauge.... if the "electronic gauge" fails, you have no recourse but to pull over, shut down, and call a tow truck - I assume you would agree that an indication of extreme low oil level would mean shut down until you could verify that there was not a problem.

Then there's the documented problem of the oil level sensor indicating that the sump is a quart low when in fact it is full...
    As someone who has actually owned BMWs since 1983, I have found that Munich's current penchant to be a "first adopter" may in fact impress the techno-geeks("Wow, I can check my oil at 70 mph!!!") but in the long run it brings unnecessary complications to the driving experience- something that was once anathema to BMW's philosophy of driving. The headlong rush to introduce iDrive is a perfect example. The initial implementation in the 2001 E65 7er was neither intuitive or convenient to use. BMW did improve and refine the interface to the point that the version fitted to the E90/E92 was an order of magnitude easier to operate, but in the meantime a lot of drivers were infuriated and many became disillusioned with the marque. It seems that only the M cars maintain a focus on the enjoyment of driving rather than on gee-whiz gadgets.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

BTW, I also hate the signal/blinker mechanism. Another technological marvel on the 5 series.

That is another excellent example of Munich's current inclination to fix what isn't broken. I remember that when the E65 came out BMW wound up printing "Valet Cards" which provided step-by-step directions on how to start the car and put it in gear. Although that was a plus when I had my B7 press loaner; I knew that there was no way I'd be carjacked- by the time the punk got the boat under way the police would be on the scene... :P

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,497
    BTW, I also hate the signal/blinker mechanism. Another technological marvel on the 5 series.

Wow, I REALLY like both the auto gear selector and the auto blink mechanism. They become seamless after using briefly and when I drive my other cars, I miss 'em. I find the signal/blinker mechanism especially very ergonomic compared to clunky signal mechanisms on other cars.
  • anon3anon3 Member Posts: 147
    What gives with the "three consecutive posts - one after the other?" Obviously... responding to three different posts from the past few weeks in one sitting. But I have a long way to go before I reach the lofty numbers of jegg's 219 posts.

The electronic gear shifter takes a little time (just a little) to get used to. In the new X5 it actually provides a somewhat useful benefit... the switch to an electronic shift mechanism clears space on the center console for extra storage and two very large (by German standards) cup holders.

The mid-model revision of the 5 series gets the electronic shifter and the corporate 6 speed steptronic transmission, but no improvement in storage space. So it does seem like a no-value-added technology "improvement" in the 5.
    I don't understand the statement that only the M cars maintain a focus on the enjoyment of driving rather than gee-whiz gadgets. That was probably true until the current E60 M5 and E63 M6, but no longer. My M6 is loaded with performance controlling/interfering gadgets. Just look at the programmable M-Drive button and the six different systems that it toggles. This is my third M vehicle (1997 M3, 2000 M5, 2006 M6) and it is by far the most complicated. But I've spent more time in it at the track than any other BMW and it's also the only BMW that I have kept for more than a year. That's because I prefer more granularity of control rather than less and I know that underneath it all, that technology is what makes it possible to achieve this kind of performance.

The point of my comments is exactly this: the trend for years in every vehicle (not just BMW) has been towards more and more technology and that's not going to change. So we might as well get used to it and learn to adapt. We should be glad that BMW doesn’t take the cynical view that its customers are barely intelligent enough to tie their shoes and couldn’t possibly learn to use a different gear shifter or turn signal (that's Lexus' target market). These new features entail trade-offs and have some disadvantages, but the net effect is a better vehicle. We're just complaining about inconveniences at the margins and ignoring the major improvements that this technology makes possible. And all this complaining about "learning new gadgets" reminds me of my grandparents' first attempt to figure out the remote control for their satellite TV receiver.
  • jamesgjamesg Member Posts: 19
    i agree that the I drive technology is empowering, but i can definitely understand that there is a segment, probably pretty large, of the population who will not be willing to put in the effort to learn the potential of the system. moving from my e39 to my new e60, i probably spent 10 hours with the manual to learn all of the detailed options. prior to that, i had been a bit frustrated with rentals not knowing how to tune the raido without a messing around. given the learning upfront investment, it is now simple (except my bluetooth phone which still has occasional issues). i wish i had the m controls to play with more performance related options. my wife on the other hand has never opened the manual of any of her cars and may be in for a challenge when she buys her x5.
    point taken on the 535. i love the sport package on the 550 though, would not have moved to an e60 without it.

my mileage reference point is my old 540i though and i would have expected the new v8 to be no less efficient than the old one. perhaps the auto transmission is killing the mileage..time will tell.
  • topspin628topspin628 Member Posts: 373
    I have 3500 miles on my 550 with sport package and in urban highway and city combined, I average a bit over 20mpg. I notice that there is a big difference between city driving and highway. I can get as much as 28 mpg cruising for a lengthy time at about 65. When I get in some stop and go, it goes down fast.
    Overall for this size car with this much performance, I think anything in the 20s is pretty good. I too opted for the 550 sport over the 535 because it feels like a different car. I don't think it's the engine as much as the M suspension and perhaps the fact that it has non run flats. Driving the 2 back to back was a different experience. Both great cars and I don't know that the price difference is really worth it, except it is to me.
  • rayainswrayainsw Member Posts: 3,191
    "Both great cars and I don't know that the price difference is really worth it, except it is to me."

... to you.

True that.

Enjoy the 550!
    - Ray
    Thinking 28 MPG at 65 is pretty good - but would mean 25 or less at the highway speeds I typically hit...
    2022 X3 M40i
  • jeqqjeqq Member Posts: 221
    got so fired up. Yes, technological advancements are necessary but they also need to be ergonomically/user friendly. When I pick up something new and the technology makes it easier for me to use, I'm in love with the product.

How many times have you looked at a new product and said " Man what were they thinking, why didn't they do this instead of that?"
    And all this complaining about "learning new gadgets" reminds me of my grandparents' first attempt to figure out the remote control for their satellite TV receiver.

Just for the record, I have no hesitation in tearing into my PCs to swap memory sticks/video cards/power supplies/etc. I've also installed more than a few home theaters, including a 7.1 setup for myself as well as my BIL(and as for flawed interfaces, most any HTR menu system wins hands down). And back in the early 90's I was opening Motronic boxes to swap Dinam and Conforti EPROMS. I was also one of the first CCA members in my region to purchase a Peake Research code reader. So I don't think that I can be considered a technophobe.
    You see, my issue isn't new technology- it's whether the new technology is an improvement. The initial implementation of iDrive is a good example- it was a very flawed interface that was neither simple nor intuitive to operate. On the other hand, Comfort Access is an excellent example of new technology which simplifies several mundane tasks. As for the lack of a dipstick, the issue for me is the fact that -aside from draining and measuring the oil- there is no way to verify the accuracy of the sensor outside of a dealer service bay. Contrast that situation with that of the TPMS. Even though I am obsessive about keeping track of tire pressure, I welcomed the advent of the TPMS since it provides a driver with real-time information any time the vehicle is in operation. however, as someone else observed, the TPMS accuracy can easily be verified with a tire gauge. All I want is a dipstick so that I can verify the sensor readout. I don't think that is too much to ask.

• bruceomegabruceomega Member Posts: 250
    roadburner,

I've also installed more than a few home theaters, including a 7.1 setup for myself

Do you by any chance post on any of the home theater forums, such as AVS?

Bruce
  • tx_buzzardtx_buzzard Member Posts: 130
    Both great cars and I don't know that the price difference is really worth it, except it is to me.

I too choose the 550 sport and am getting the same MPG. The car is in a class all its own!

All I want is a dipstick so that I can verify the sensor readout. I don't think that is too much to ask.

Funny thing... I was really upset when the oil sensor on my 550 was showing the oil level was too high after changing the oil twice. No dipstick and the sensor doesn't work... I was MAD! I took it back to the dealership and they called out their chief mechanic to take a look. First thing he did was raise the hood, reach back close to the firewall and PULLED OUT THE DIPSTICK! The manual does not mention a dipstick, the sales people knew nothing of it, nor did my service advisor. Anyway, I was relieved... all I wish I had now was a water temp. gauge. :shades:
    Do you by any chance post on any of the home theater forums, such as AVS?

I've posted a couple of questions on the AVS Forum, but most of the time I'm in lurk mode; I've been able to find the answers for most of my questions by using the Search function.

• tayl0rdtayl0rd Member Posts: 1,926
    Are you saying there IS a dipstick???? :surprise: I believe you got your 550 a few weeks after I did, so I'm assuming you also have an '08 model. I'm gonna have to get in there this evening and check it out!
    Are you saying there IS a dipstick????

Yes tayl0rd... there is!!! It is on the right side close to the firewall. It has a black plastic cap that is flat... looks like some wiring that had been capped off. It does not have the normal "handle" dipsticks have.

Just keep looking, you'll find it!
    :shades:
    Hey tayl0rd... did you ever find the dipstick? :confuse:
    If I knew how to post a photo on this site I would show where the dipstick is. Why aren't the instructions printed somewhere? :mad: ">link title
    I just checked. (notice the time, BTW) There sure as heck IS one! Right where you said it would be. It's a black handle.
    :)
  • og_oggilbyog_oggilby Member Posts: 27
    Anyone know if there is a dipstick on the 535's?
  • maril556maril556 Member Posts: 8
    Can somebody describe a difference b/w Logic 7 and the standard system in 535i?
    I have 545i with Logic 7, so I know what it is. I'm just not clear about how basic system is different?
    Different head unit? Different speakers? amplifiers? subwoofer?
    I do realize, that the basic system will not have various surround mods and an equalizer.
  • eastburg5eastburg5 Member Posts: 2
    Hi All,

I recently placed a down payment on a 2001 525 BMW from a non-BMW dealer. The vehicle has 17,300 miles, but the rear brake pads are worn down and it looks like the front pads have just been replaced. Skeptical of the mileage, I took it to a BMW dealer who checked the mileage on the key FOB and it indicated 17,300 miles. I do know that the one previous owner drove the car in the city. My first question is whether its likely that the brakes could be this worn in so few miles? Also, I was wondering whether key FOB is an accurate indicator of true mileage, or whether it simply repeats what is on the odomoter? How difficult would it be for someone to turn back the mileage?

Also, I've heard that its usually necessary to replace brake rotors when the pads are replaced. Is this true, or are there ways to replace pads before the rotor is worn?

Thanks!
    SRE
  • jeqqjeqq Member Posts: 221
    Sounds like a jack rabbit start and hard braker to me. You've seen those guys on the road. Sounds like the car may have had 17,000 rough miles even though it took 7 years. The other side of the coin is he/she lives in a very steep hill environment or just rides the brake often:)
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,188
    17K miles in 7 years, sounds like a lot of stop and go, city driving...

There are plenty of BMWs that need pads/rotors by 30K miles, in a normal driving environment.. The braking capability (and all that nasty brake dust), come from super-soft pads..

So.. 17K is early to get brakes, normally, but 2500 miles/yr isn't exactly normal..

BMW specs say to replace rotors with pads... but, most do-it-yourselfers replace them every other time..

If you are confident in the mileage being accurate, I wouldn't let new brakes bother me...

regards,
    kyfdx
    visiting host

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

Also, I've heard that its usually necessary to replace brake rotors when the pads are replaced. Is this true, or are there ways to replace pads before the rotor is worn?

Only if a dealer does the work. You can probably get away replacing the rotors every other pad change. It's a dead easy DIY job. I'd go to Zeckhausen Racing and buy Axxis Deluxe Advanced pads. If you need a full set of pads and rotors it will only run @$350.

In addition to surround sound processing, the Logic7 system has 13 upgraded speakers and 420 watts of power. Compare that to 10 speakers and about 200 watts in the base system.

Also note, the surround processing logic was designed by Lexicon, which is one of the higher-end home theater and AV electronics shops.
    I just looked under the hood of a 2008 535 and didn't see a dipstick along the firewall as described in earlier posts about the 550i. That doesn't mean that it's not there, just that I couldn't find it.

The owner's manual is silent on the subject. I also see posts that other 2008 models like the M3 that will only have electronic oil level monitors. Looks like a trend.

If some engines have dipsticks, my question would be why does BMW treat their existence like a state secret? My only guess would be that these newer engines are so complex that they just don't want owners fumbling around in the engine compartment.
  • maril556maril556 Member Posts: 8
    Thank you,
    I actually went to a dealer yesterday to listen to a standard sound system.
    Absolutely day and night compared with my Logic 7.
    Ended up ordering 535i optioned, like we wanted to, Logic 7 included.
    It is now $1200, vs. $1800 in 2005, when we bought our 545i.
    A manual dipstick isn't too much to ask. I wonder if BMW listens to the suggestions in these forums? And don't we all feel just a little foolish learning that there actually is a dipstick, although BMW protected that little secret better than the CIA.

I recognize that the original intent of iDrive was to provide greater granularity of control while uncluttering and simplifying the dashboard. And I recognize that some of this technology is just a marketing ploy to lure us into buying expensive options like "night vision". That's why I always custom order BMWs only with technology options that have some utility.

The question should be: can BMW continue to advance performance and handling while improving fuel efficiency without all these systems intervening between the driver and the vehicle? Some BMW engines are pure racing technology and I do know that they require extensive controls to make them reliable daily driving machines, but is this the only way it can be done?

Performance is improving. Handling generally is improving with less trade off on ride comfort. Fuel efficiency is improving relative to engine size and performance. The vehicles generally are safer to drive. So in general, the vehicles are "better" by those measures. But I agree that BMW should ask itself whether they really need all this complication to improve the core competence of the vehicle.
  • troysbtroysb Member Posts: 1
    Just picked up an o8 535i. Had a 2007 530 but BMW couldn't fixed a problem with a consrtant battery drain. I made a fuss and they gave me brand new 535i. I had a silver and I opted for a white. So far the twin turbos are so much better that my old 530. Still can't stand the run flat tires. it is a hell of a bumpy ride, especilly in Manhattan. I also opted for the sports and premium options. Didn't get the cold weather, just got the heated front seats, didn't need a heated steering whell and fluid to spary my headlights. I would also recommend that anyone get the option for thre repalcement wheel and tires. rims are too expensive, especially with the run flat tires.
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,373
    I think the reason there is a dipstick on the 550i as opposed to the 535i & 528i is the fact that the 550i is an "older" engine. I think (someone please correct me if I'm wrong) that the current V8's architecture dates back to the e39 540i that debuted in MY 1997.

It is all part of plan for BMW to get you to service your car at the dealership. A high percentage of BMWs today are leased anyway, so the cars aren't kept past the warranty period. Out of warranty/maintenance BMWs sold as CPO (used) make people who buy them feel as if they have to go to the dealership for service.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

The only 5 series with a dipstick is the 550i. I guess that is because it is the same motor that is in the 750.
  • wolfer2wolfer2 Member Posts: 10
    Any collective thoughts on when to change the oil for the first time in a 2008 535xi? I know the BMW maintenance program is 15,000 miles, but that just seems to fly in the face of what I have been taught all my life. I bought, rather than leased the vehicle, so I want to do it right. I am at 6000 miles and was thinking about doing it at 7,500. I suppose this would not be covered by the 4 year maintenance plan.
  • shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    As a general rule I think that the standard BMW OCI target of 15,000 miles is a bit long, that said, UOAs on many cars over the last ten years (since they went to the 15,000 mile OCI) have shown that it's pretty close, assuming that you use the proper oil and filter). That said, the twin-turbo I6 engine in your car has shown (once again via UOAs) that it is EXTREMELY hard on its oil, and that many cars that have been drive by fairly spirited drivers are fully exhausting the oil by as little as 5,000 miles. Said another way, assuming you only occasionally beat on your car, a 7,500 mile oil change sounds very much in order.

If you plan on keeping your car for any length of time you might want to consider sending a sample of the drained out oil off to http://www.blackstone-labs.com/ to have it analyzed. Then you'll know for sure whether you still had some miles left in the oil or whether it was already a goner.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • professor6professor6 Member Posts: 3
    I have a 535i (purchased new) that has been driven 6,000 miles. Approximately 25% of the time, it is difficult to get the transmission from park to drive without "jiggling" the stick. I don't know if the problem is getting worse, but this was not an issue when new.

While I am whining, my wife tells me that, when starting the vehicle, she occasionally sees an icon showing the car on a service rack with an indication that the battery is low. I might understand that much drain after sitting for several days, but the car is driven at least five times/week.

Anyone having the same or similar problems? Any input before taking the car to the dealer will be appreciated.
    The time to change your oil is actualy calculated on the wat you drive your vehicle. Check the iDrive from time to time and you may notice the intervals will change accordingly. Regarding the first oil change... I did mine at 2,600. Like you, it just seems odd to go any longer. Just look at it as insurance. The single most important thing you can do to ensure a problem free experience is to change the oil on a regular basis. I plan on changing my oil between BMW intervals myself, that way the clock will not be reset.
    I did the same thing when I ordered my most recent BMW... paid for the heated seats and skipped the cold weather package because I HATE the headlight washer that sprays fluid all over a clean vehicle if you're not careful. The headlight washer is logical (if the windshield is dirty, the headlights will be too), but I can live without it and I don't need to shower the entire vehicle just to wipe a bug off the windshield.
  • xg300xg300 Member Posts: 1
    Hey troysb hit me up with what you had to do for this issue. I had the same problem with my 08 528i and the service department counld not find any problem after a week and two days in their hands. I don't want this to become a bigger problem later with only 2100 mls on the clock. :sick:

Rock
  • orion53orion53 Member Posts: 1
    I'd appreciate comments re BMW owners experience re sport packages on driving the roads in Western PA.

Seriously considering either a 550i (w/sports package, 19" low profile tires) or a 535xi. Had the opportunity of brief, back-to-back test drives of both (actually the 535i) in TX ... road surface better there ... but not the windy/curvy backroads here. Both plenty fast ... but preferred the "feel" of the 550i. If the 550i, would plan to use only as a 3 season car. Some questions.

1. Any sense when the new 5 series will emerge this year ... and anticipated differences from 2008 models? Am I correct, I understand the 5s will be redesigned, however, major change will be for models released in 2009 (not 2008). Also, any insight re potential price increase (above 2008 models)? Or, if build slots are still available (I'd plan to customize) ... would some advise buying now?

2. Might I find the ride of a 550i sport too harsh (I realize this is a subjective question). I'd like to hear from 550i owners ... and/or those who decided against and chose either a 550i non-sport or 535 for such reasons.

3. I read of some owners (e.g., in Manhattan) regretting decision to purchase with low profile tires/rims ... because of frequency of flats/damaged rims. Related to #2, is there much of a difference in "ride" and less potential damage when comparing 18" to 19" wheels.

4. Again, a subjective question ... opinions/experience with Active Steering. My inclination is to not get Active Steering.

5. Assuming similar driving styles for 550i (360 hp) vs 535 (twin-turbo 330 hp) ... how much potential difference in MPG.

6. Finally, any strong +/- experiences with dealers in the Pittsburgh area ... both during the sale ... and routine service afterwards.

Thank you!
    1. September/October
    2. Depends on what you like. What are you driving now?
    3. Attributed more to inattentive drivers than the wheels/tires. Common sense says steer around or take it easy over potholes.
    4. Those that have it, love it. Those that don't have it deride it. Who're you gonna listen to?
    5. Easy driving? Better in 535i. "Aggressive" driving? Better in the 550i since you don't have to push it has hard to get the same results.
    6. N/A

I have an '08 550i Sport.
    Keep in mind that the five series had its mid-life refresh in the 2008 model year, which is when most major changes occur. The "new" five series will be a 2011 model. I would not expect any significant changes in the 2009 model, just tweaking of options and probably a price increase. The next model year vehicles are usually available for order in August time frame.

My advice is to avoid active steering if you like to drive a BMW the way a BMW can be driven. I had active steering on a six series and hated it. BMW is known for its near perfect steering feel and precision. Active steering only diminishes classic BMW steering by inserting computers and mechanical hardware between you and the road. Not an improvement. Not worth the money. Bad idea on the part of BMW.

Regarding the sport package. I can tell you from personal experience that a five series without a sport suspension and wheels definitely involves a trade off. (Note that not all five series sport packages include sport suspension and wheels.) Without a sport suspension, it cruises nicely on the highway in a straight line and increases your comfort while driving over broken pavement. But... if you are a BMW enthusiast and you like "spirited" driving, the standard suspension and wheel package is a disappointment and will not live up to the engine's performance potential. Too much lean in corners and a little too much bounce over undulating pavement. The ride is not bouncy by any means, but you do give up a significant degree of handling control in corners and on twisty roads. So it depends on how you like to drive and how much value you place on comfort vs fun to drive. (If someone just wants to drive in cushioned comfort in a straight line, then save some money and buy an Acura or Lexus because the advantages of a BMW will be lost on them.)

I currently have a 535xi as an environmental "down grade" from my previous V8 BMWs. After three months of mixed driving, I average 21 mpg. Pure highway driving will yield about 26 mpg.

I will also say that the twin turbo drive train combined with the new automatic transmission is extremely smooth and very easy to get used to. The turbo six's flat torque curve and the smoothness of the drive train make it "deceptively quick". You get effortless, drama-free acceleration without the need for frequent down shifts and holding the engine at high RPM as you have to do in a V8 to maintain peak power. So you're not as "aware" of the engine and transmission working. At first if feels less sporty and like you're getting less performance than a V8. Then you realize that it's just performing without a lot of fuss.

The 0 - 60 time difference between the 550i and the 535xi is only around 2/10 of a second, depending on who did the test (Car and Driver, for example, 5.2 seconds vs 5.4 seconds 0 - 60). I think the 550i "feels" more fun to drive. But the 535i would win on price and on fuel economy with no significant trade off in performance in normal day to day driving where most people are likely to use it.
  • gscottnelson1gscottnelson1 Member Posts: 9
    I have heard, but not confirmed that the 530d might be making it's way to the states this fall - but not sure? Any word?

Scott
    535d, not 530d. Not sure when it will hit. Would definitely choose it over a 535i, though. Same HP, but a boatload more torque; 428 lbs/ft, IIRC.
    ... You get effortless, drama-free acceleration without the need for frequent down shifts and holding the engine at high RPM as you have to do in a V8 to maintain peak power. ...

Where'd you get that idea? The 550i makes more torque at around 2,000RPM than the 535i makes at all, IIRC. It's "peak" torque is high in the RPM band, but it still has more meat under the curve overall than the 535i. The beauty of the V8 is that you don't have to maintain "peak power" to make it perform better than the 535i. I have a 550i Sport, and trust me, there's no need for "frequent downshifting" in any situation so far; not unless I just want to chirp the tires or get it sideways in a hurry. I was VERY tempted by the 535i Sport (test drove it), but it just doesn't compare, IMO, to the 550i Sport, and it certainly doesn't perform "without a lot of fuss." The 535i makes fuss aplenty when you're getting on it.

You're spot-on about the 5-series without the Sport package, though. Anybody considering that configuration would be just as well (and in some cases better) served with just about any other sedan on the market that purports to be a "sports sedan.":( I drove a non-Sport 5 and immediately ruled it out at the first curve in the road. Doesn't suit my driving style at all.
    i recently purchased an 08 550i sport; previous car was an 03 540i6 sport. having driven ~1500 miles, my impression is that, while the suspension is tight (active suspension included), the is much more "luxurious" than in the old model. i would therefore not be concerned about a harsh ride in this car even though it has the 19" low profiles versus the 18" in the old model.
    i do not have active steering
    mileage is a bit worse: 19 mpg versus 21.5 in the old one. could be break-in or auto tranny, not sure why the 10% difference.
  • bruceomegabruceomega Member Posts: 250
    anon3,

Regarding the sport package. I can tell you from personal experience that a five series without a sport suspension and wheels definitely involves a trade off. (Note that not all five series sport packages include sport suspension and wheels.) Without a sport suspension, it cruises nicely on the highway in a straight line and increases your comfort while driving over broken pavement. But... if you are a BMW enthusiast and you like "spirited" driving, the standard suspension and wheel package is a disappointment and will not live up to the engine's performance potential. Too much lean in corners and a little too much bounce over undulating pavement. The ride is not bouncy by any means, but you do give up a significant degree of handling control in corners and on twisty roads. So it depends on how you like to drive and how much value you place on comfort vs fun to drive. (If someone just wants to drive in cushioned comfort in a straight line, then save some money and buy an Acura or Lexus because the advantages of a BMW will be lost on them.)

I currently have a 535xi

Was wondering how you classify your 535Xi w.r.t. the above?

I also have a 535Xi. I chose it because notwithstanding the lack of a sport suspension option, I assumed it handled better than the competition in the AWD LPS category, and the engine seemed to put it in a class by itself.

Bruce
  • bdkinnhbdkinnh Member Posts: 292
    >"If someone just wants to drive in cushioned comfort in a straight line, then save some money and buy an Acura or Lexus because the advantages of a BMW will be lost on them"

My previous car was a 2006 Lexus GS300 (which I 'lemoned'), and my current car is a 2008 535i SP. The Lexus was actually a lot harsher than the 535. The best word to describe the feel of the 535i sport is "supple", even over rough New Hampshire roads.

I think Lexus views "harsh" and "sporty" as the same thing, whereas BMW knows how to do it right.
    I think Lexus views "harsh" and "sporty" as the same thing, whereas BMW knows how to do it right.

Exactly. And Lexus learned it from GM... ;)

• ny540i6ny540i6 Member Posts: 518
    Hey Road,

Remember when the GM answer to EVERY suspension question was the "FE3"? - Add bigger roll bars, stiffen things a bit, and fatter tires - All you need to know about suspension dynamics LOLOL