Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lexus LS 400/LS 430

Comments

• topspin628topspin628 Member Posts: 373
    I think that the price has a lot to do with it. The S Class, 7 series and A8 probably also sku high in age. IMHO people who can spend upwards of 60-80 K would tend to be older on average. I don't discount that the "non sporting" image and conservative styling also contribute but I would be willing to bet that the price is key.
  • rgswrgsw Member Posts: 333
    I thought that the left side was the closest place to the receiver and the easiest for the installer. As I said, I have had the XM in the 2004 and the 2005. The 2004 the antenna was both on the side and the front of the trunk lid and I couldn't tell any difference. The 2005 works fine as I said. I drove from ABQ to Oklahoma City and it worked fine. If it don't work, they can always move it, they don't drill any holes. Good Luck.
  • ron36330ron36330 Member Posts: 69
    The best place to mount the XM antenna is inside the center stop-light. Reception is not impaired and it is aesthetics are obviously improved. Good luck.
    Ron
  • rcf8000rcf8000 Member Posts: 619
    Sounds good. I'll have to look into it. Is there room inside the brake light housing for the square antenna that comes with the Lexus XM system?
  • feverhartfeverhart Member Posts: 144
    Thanks for the very informative posts on this site, I had the computer tuned today to overcome the hesitation in the 04 LS. While at the dealers, I received a printout (not official)of the 2007 LS (called LS 500 GT) now susposedly being beta tested in Russia, Germany, and Italy.

Specs: Hybrid AWD 400 HP V-10 with 200 HP electric, total of 600 HP; 0-60 in 4 sec; ungoverned top speed 202 mph; 36 mpg highway, 32 mpg town; 19" front & 20" rear wheels; US cost $100,000. It is supposed to be QUIETER and faster than the LS 430 and with "road holding and handling in another plane."

The line forms on the right.
  • ljflxljflx Member Posts: 4,690
    Ok - That 600 HP engine is the same thing, same 400+200 power that a very high up guy at my dealership told me about a few weeks ago - but no one on the 2007 LS board wanted to believe it. Instead I got a bunch of lame reasons that tried to make Lexus look like an angel that would never do such a power thing. Another guy told me not to believe what a dealer says - as if I was talking to a salesman or sales mgr. You have even more data re the 0-60 time and tire configuration. This is a highly specialized car though. Supposedly there will be a less-tuned mid 400's HP V-8 hybrid as well. So you have gas (350 or so), mid-level hybrid at 450 or so HP and then the super LS at 600HP. The V10 only happens though if they do that LF-A. Otherwise it will be a 550HP tuned V8 hybrid. But from what I was told the LF-A is a 90-10 sureshot. The LF-A and that super LS are going to get big headlines in 2007. I'm glad my lease runs through March 2007. It will need time for the 2007 model to cool off. I'm not sure 6 months will be enough though.

For the HPX crowd - yesterday's NY timnes showed a Toyota version of the HPX in the auto section pullout and said it arrives in 2007. Probaby means the HPX will also becoming to market for Lexus at the same time.
  • oacoac Member Posts: 1,594
    You got to be kidding me, feverhart. Which dealership gave you this print out info on the new LS500 GT ??? OTOH, maybe its not wise to reveal the source publicly here.... But, a 600HP LS will be the anti-thesis of what Lexus stood for (in the past), right ? I mean, Toyota has never been about high output motors; leave that to the AMG, M and R/RS type cars.

In the April 2005 MT article, one finds these high performance cars from Bentley, Ferrari, Lambo, Porsche, Ford GT, etc. with V10 to V16 engines, and up to 950HP selling in the stratosphere price-wise. If Lexus has a car in this class at a *mere* $100K, with such performance (0-60 of 4s, 32-36mpg, top speed to 202mph, etc...) that would be an unbelievable price. Dirt-cheap, that is...
    OAC - They supposedly will also come out with a $150K-175K car that is competitive to the Maybach, Bentley & Rolls in a few years. Whether that wears a Lexus badge or a higher design label - I don't know. But if it happens it will be sold at Lexus dealerships just like a Maybach is sold at MB ones. It will probably use the same engine or tuned variant. This car that feverhart listed is an S600 killer not the ultra car that will play in that higher class. I heard the 0-60 was in the 4.5 range so feverhart has it even faster. I was given a price range of $100-110k I believe. It was going to ultimately be determined by where the exchange rate was headed.

I think many people are badly underestimating the splash Lexus is planning in 2007 with world-wide branding. They are reading the future with a narrow focus that is just an enhancement of today. That's not how you bring out a global player that is intending to become the no.1 lux label in the world. On top of that Toyota is far richer and more powerful than they were in 1990 when they caused the first major shake-up. This one will be much bigger and more far reaching. As well the main competition they are shooting for is bleeding right now in image and money.
  • wbwynnwbwynn Member Posts: 246
    Got the computer upgrade, and it cured the acceleration-hesitation immediately. Mount the XM antenna in the the middle of the rear trunk deck...it works just fine there and looks better. Let's hope for a direct MP3 plug-in for future models.
  • ron36330ron36330 Member Posts: 69
    The unit will NOT fit with the cover on. Remove the outer cover and just mount the internals inside the center stop-light mount.
    If your SM has not done this before, then have him check it out first.
    Ron
  • feverhartfeverhart Member Posts: 144
    Competition for the LS500GT Hybrid, as projected in the printout, will be Aston Martin, Ferrari, Lamborghini, Bentley, AMG, BMW M series, and Jaguar XYR Works. I guess we could think of a few others, too.
  • gteach26gteach26 Member Posts: 576
    ... that I recently had to add cushioning to my toll transponder on my windshield (attached with suction cups) because I could hear the faint rattles it made when I went over bumps. At first I could not find the source of the rattle and I was going nuts. Then I remembered about the dasterdley transponder behind my rearview mirror. Problem solved.

What a car!!!

Smooth, silky, powerful, refined.... oh my gosh...I'm feeling giddy again. :)))))
  • famwaldfamwald Member Posts: 114
    This is not a 'problem' so I hope this board is the correct place to ask our question.

We will put only 10k miles per year on our new LS. The Owners' Manual states that oil change schedule is every 5,000 or 6 months. Six months seems a long time between oil changes, as I am accustomed to having it changed every 2,500 mi. despite what previous car manuals have said.

Would it be overkill to change the oil every 2,500 miles on our LS anyway? That would put it on a 90 day schedule. Should we calm down and just wait and do it every 6 months?

(After all, it worries me to death that our BMW only requires an oil change every 15k mi., which is once a year on that auto.)

Voices of experience, anyone?
    Many thanks in advance.
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    goes by before I change the oil in my 2001 Porsche C4, don't put the required 15,000 miles on it in that short time.

And are you sure of the 5,000 mile figure? My 2001 AWD RX300 only recommends oil changes at 7500 miles.
    Lexus shifted to 5000 miles in 2004. I do 7500, following the old schedule and even push it out as far as 10K in the stretches where I do mainly highway driving.
  • sysweisyswei Member Posts: 1,804
    imho they changed from 7500 to 5000 either because of the sludge issue or because they wanted to fatten dealer profits.
    ... between oil changes will do just fine for this car under normal use. In my opinion, anything more and you're just donating money to your local dealer.

The ONLY "one in a million" drawback to this strategy is that IF something goes wrong with the car caused by dirty oil or filter then your maintenance records will not help your warranty claim at all.

My 36 month/36K total miles leased car goes in for the first two "freebies" and then at 15K and 30K. We're talking several hundred bucks (combined) for those two services.

That's enough.
    Anyone have the problem of the gas hose cutting off the flow when you are refilling the LS. Happens to me often enough. Service said it's because of the ultra low emissions the LS has. Supposedly every gas station has a switch they are supposed to turn on - required by federal and or state law - that would prevent this from happening. But some of them don't comply or maybe never put in this feature. In a non-ULE car this would'nt allow the fuel to stop flowing. But because the LS is ahead of the curve on these standards the fumes cause the gas hose to pop back and the flow is cut-off. This was the way it was explained to me and it is what I experience. It happens virtually always on certain gas stations I fill up at and virtually never at others. I have to assume the lack of compliance by certain stations is the cause.
  • scoti1scoti1 Member Posts: 676
    You may want to check into the sludge problem before you extend oil drain intervals. Toyota/Lexus had a problem with this in several 1997 - 2002 models and after several years of blaming the problem on the owners not changing the oil properly and denying repairs under warranty, they developed a sludge policy that requires proof of reasonable maintenance.
    I don't think sludge will be a problem on an LS with less than 36K miles. If I recall, the sludge issue was occurring on higher mileage, poorly maintained vehicles (were they RX 300's??) on certain engines and it was a sporadic problem.

Still, if sludge happens to ANY engine within 36K miles even with 4 maintenance stops (1k, 5K, 15K, 30K) then something is definitely wrong with the engine design.

Now I'm a bit curious as to what other LS owners think about performing 4 maintenance stops (1K, 5K, 15K, 30K) on the LS for a leased car over a 36 month 36 thousand miles lease term. Is that good enough?
    Depends on highway vs. local driving. I've gone 6500 to 14,500 for the first two oil changes. I'll go again at 22-23K miles or so and then again in the 30-31K range. 15K to 30K is too big a spread.
    The Lexus models covered by the sludge policy were the 97-02 RX 300 and ES 300. I don't recall hearing of any problems with the LS. My point is, if anything happens while under warranty, Lexus/Toyota may not cover it if you can't prove you maintained your car according to the recommended intervals. If something happens to your engine, even if the extended oil drain intervals are not the culprit, you could have your warranty voided.

By the way, the strange thing with many of the sludged engines is that it occurred at very low miles. Some as low as the 15,000 - 20,000 mile range. Wouldn't you think that you could go that far in a brand new car with no oil changes and not get sludge? I would expect it to increase wear on the engine, but not cause the engine to go to sludge at such low miles.
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    had something to do with the 3.0L V6 and Toyota said they changed something in the design of the casting of the engine block to alleviate the problem.

As I understand it at the end of the day not abiding by the recommended maintenance schedules had nothing to do with the sludging problem.
    not abiding by the recommended maintenance schedules had nothing to do with the sludging problem

True, since I followed this on the Avalon forum but we never had a problem with our '98 Avalon. It did happen on low mileage cars as well as higher mileage ones. The ES300 is an Avalon twin.

I agree that if the proper maintenance schedule in the owner's manual is not followed, Toyota wouild be free to refuse any related warranty work. I think any car manufacturer can fall back on that policy.

We'll follow the guidelines at least until the warranty runs out. We own our LS, and plan to own it for a long time. Who knows what problems could surface 'down the road.' We have an inve$tment in this car.
  • mitchellrowemitchellrowe Member Posts: 92
    ljflx : gas fill early cut off is inherent in all 2001 - 2005 ls 430's . no legit explanation . only fix is simply the gas fill nozzel must be inserted in gas fill opening upside down and held on place so it doesn't pop out .
    this inconvenience is evident on my 2001 , 2002 , 2003 , 2004 . and 2005 . like the jaguars that had the gas filler entrance on TOP of the fender
    beside the trunk opening and rear window glass .
    mitchell rowe
  • mitchellrowemitchellrowe Member Posts: 92
    famwald : total agreement . sludge problem on the v 6 was unrelated to maintenence intervals.
    prescription ( rx ) in owners book on oil change intervals is more than sufficient .
    MUST USE 5W-30W OIL ( printed on filler cap )
    mitchell rowe
  • rgswrgsw Member Posts: 333
    I have had the same problem with the 20004 & 2005 at various gas stations. I usually pull the nozzle back about an inch so that it is not fully inserted and that solves the problem for me. Don't know what the California systems would do as they evacuate the fumes while refueling.
    In NJ - you don't pump your own gas so you're at the mercy of the attendant. The LS probably has no problems in California for the very reason you say. That's what it's low emmissions is built for. I'd also bet that certain stations in NJ comply with California code. That's why I have the problem on certain staions and never have it on others that have adopted the stricter code.
  • rennyboschrennybosch Member Posts: 329
    I have had an 01 LS430 and then an 04 LS430 since November 2000 and have never had this problem of the pump cutting off prematurely, either in California or in OR, WA, NV, AZ, or NM (at least I haven't noticed it).
  • michael_mattoxmichael_mattox Member Posts: 813
    I also have not had the gas problem (01 ultra) and I have driven in all those states except NM.
    While we're on this topic, our new '05 LS has no protective "flap" over the area where the gas pump nozzle is inserted when filling up.
    I can't remember when I did not have a car that had an open pathway right to the gas tank.

Insects could fly in, dust or rain could get in, anything could fly in when the gas pump nozzle is not actually in the car.

Are all LSs made this way?
    That would all tend to bear out the explanation of the service guy. If the staion fails to turn on his low emission switch than the car which meets next gen emission standards will cause the gas hose to pop back and cut off the flow - because of the fumes. I can pull the car right on to stations that I know it will happen at and others where I know it won't. In the stations where it will happen the only remedy is to turn the gas hose completely around. The folks out west are clearly never having an issue because compliance is nearly 100% out there as many states follow California governing rules, which are much stricter and far better enforced than here on the east coast.
  • aardmanaardman Member Posts: 14
    I am considering purchasing or leasing a ls and wanted to be sure the new redesign will not occur in fall of 05 as the 06 model. Is this the general consensus of this list that the redesign will occur in fall of 06 as a 2007 ls?
  • helmarhelmar Member Posts: 15
    The LS redesign will be the 2007 year, due out in late 2006.

I have an '03 LS430 will be trading it in as soon as they have an AWD version of the LS430, which may not be right away..

Aside from the usual reasons to stay with the Lexus, the one feature I really like that isn't offered on many other cars is the Laser Cruise control.

I use that and the Navigation system all the time. I sure wish they'd switch it from Laser to Radar though so it doesn't shut down in inclement weather.

HBH
  • garyh1garyh1 Member Posts: 394
    BTW, the '05 LS Ultra with Pre-Collision System option package includes a Radar-based Cruise Control system (adds another $2,250 list to the price of the regular Ultra).
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,146
    A magazine reporter is hoping to speak with a recent Lexus buyer who traded out of a Cadillac, or at least test drove a Cadillac as part of their shopping experience. Please respond to jfallon@edmunds.com with your daytime phone number and a few words about your choice no later than Tuesday, April 12, 2005.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• kraftkraft Member Posts: 29
    :P Scotii, you made a false statement in your post: "By the way, the strange thing with many of the sludged engines is that it occurred at very low miles. Some as low as the 15,000 - 20,000 mile range." There weren't that many in actual fact.
    Are you able to say how "Many" actually happened? If you are an honest person, you don't know how "Many",. No one does and you can't link to any proof of a statement like that, so you shouldn't be saying things that can't be backed up.
    Wwest also made a statement: "not abiding by the recommended maintenance schedules had nothing to do with the sludging problem." In my opinion what did have a lot to do with the sludge problem was statements like yours which have no truth to them at all. :confuse:
  • gee35coupegee35coupe Member Posts: 3,387
    There WERE cases on Edmunds of cars sludging very early. These cars had the engine in question. But no other Toyota cars were sludgiing. And no other manufacturer has cars at that time that were showing sludge. It obviously WAS a problem enough for Toyota to notice and several other larger automotive sites also.

It wasn't a "get Toyota" thing since the GS's I6, LS's V8, or even the Toyota's I4 were effected. Only the Camry/ES300/RX V6 and Camry I4. It's not like it was a random attack on Toyota.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    We are here to talk about the LS, not other members. Thanks for your understanding.
    that the sludge issue is not relevant to the LS, so that's not something we need to re-open here. Thanks.
    Maybe it would be appropriate, rather than to discuss this here, to direct those interested in the topic to the closed sludge discussions here on Edmunds?
    The search features are excellent at tracking down discussions on just about any automotive subject anyone can imagine.

Again, we are not going to get into the sludge issue here.

Thanks.
  • luxoseekerluxoseeker Member Posts: 10
    I'm hoping to buy an 05 LS with Modern Lux in the San Francisco Bay area soon. Any information on how much of a discount I might be able to find in this area (or in Northern California, in general) would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
    I know there is a Dealer in San Jose that is suppose to be very Competitive.
    Thanks for the input. I bought my 99 GS400 from the dealer in San Jose and got a good price. But they have changed owners since then, and the salesman I spoke to last month was a bit too high pressure and not particularly cooperative price wise. I was wondering if any of the other Lexus dealers in the San Francisco Bay Area were better to deal with...or maybe I should go back to the San Jose dealer and speak to a different salesman....
    One of the two largest Lexus Dealers in the country is LONGO in S. Cal. El Monte

I flew down from Seattle to buy my LS down there....Quality Service....Did all the Dealing over the phone...
    Thanks again, Michael. Interestingly enough, LONGO Lexus is owned by Penske Automotive, which also owns Lexus of Stevens Creek here in San Jose. Quite a coincidence.
  • matriouxmatrioux Member Posts: 3
    I'm picking up my new black on black modern lux tomorow morning! Is there anything I should check especially well before accepting it? Is there any area that has a common flaw or dilivery issue that I should pay special attention too?
  • sv7887sv7887 Member Posts: 351
    Hi matrioux,
    I'd drive it before taking it with the 18" tires and make sure there is no vibration. This is something I forgot to do when I got mine. I had the snows put on by the dealer before I took it.

Also check to see whether they have provided all the keys, (2 Smart Keys, 1 Valet, and 1 Emergency). Sometimes this is in the trunk. They are supposed to give you a form to fill out for C-BEST so you customize the car's settings. Also they CAN turn off the daytime running lights if you wish.

Welcome to the Lexus family! I hope you enjoy your car as much as everyone else here does!!!

SV
  • matriouxmatrioux Member Posts: 3
    Well,

I went and got it this morning. What a dream, I have never ridden in a car that rides that smoothly and quietly. Now I just got to get the gadgets figured out! It does have the 18" wheels (with dunlops), which I really didn't want, but they seem quiet enough and don't seem to be out of balance at all. Experience at the dealer (Hedrick Lexus of Charlotte) was top notch.

Thanks for all the advice (both above and in all the 7343 posts before!)

-Mat