Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Volvo S60

Comments

• Options
    phils60phils60 Member Posts: 21
    Running like a Swiss watch... uh car. No problems whatsoever.
  • Options
    mkrsw1mkrsw1 Member Posts: 12
    after waiting a couple of months to see if it surfaced, i've given up on my wife's lost key to our new 2004 s60awd and she's getting tired of using the valet key. how much is it going to cost me to get the key replaced? this is one of the new fancy integrated snap-out key control fob gizmos.
  • Options
    tmarttmart Member Posts: 2,242
    before the switchblade key.

#469 of 470 ...don't let the wife loose the keys by webm2k Feb 05, 2003 (12:11 am)
    ...just this weekend my wife lost the second set of keys and keyless remote. Boy what a saga. I called the dealer today and to my heart attack surprise here is what a key and remote will cost you on a 1999 S70:

THE KEY
    $58.00 for the key core (special order laser cut and it takes 1 week to arrive)
    $42.00 for the software
    $78.00 labor to program
           $178.00 plus tax= $189.57

THE KEYLESS REMOTE
    $100.00 for the remote
    $42.00 for the software
    $78.00 labor to program
            $220.00 plus tax= $234.30
    $423.87 for the key and one remote ...DON'T KEEP YOUR EYES OFF THEM!

...I was able to talk the tech down for the second $78.00 for labor since he will be doing the work simultaneously for the key and the remote, so for the asking, I got a break and saved $78.00, but who has $345.87 to spare for a set of keys?
  • Options
    soledocsoledoc Member Posts: 52
    So here's the scoop I got from my dealer.
    2004 T5 geartronic, nautic blue metallic, indigo cloth/graphite leather split interior, moonroof, AudioMax surround sound, sport package, climate package, touring package, xenons, 17" amalthea wheels.....for $36,800. 60 month buy around $731/month in Indiana. This is based on the February incentives. We're going to wait until March 1 to see if the deals are any better. How's this deal sound?

I REALLY like the idea of a blue exterior and partial blue interior. Has anybody seen the indigo cloth/graphite leather interior? How do you think it would look with nautic blue? I've got a nautic blue C70 coupe now. I'm paying $660/month now on this lease with 15K miles (I won't go over).
  • Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,949
    so you got everything but Nav, it looks like.

Well, I plug all that into carsdirect.com and come up with a price of $34,074 (MSRP 40,685 and invoice 38,199)

so i think you could do better. You can always get your number off carsdirect (it may vary from my number based on your zip code) and bring that to the dealer to see if they'll come close to it.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    I too plugged those figures into carsdirect.com but I don't see where you got $34,074. Was that from a specific dealership. My dealership locally is basically giving me the car at less than carsdirect invoice price of $38,669 (they quoted me $36,800). Is it worth saving $2,500 if I have to drive across the country and lose the relationship I have with my local dealer which I like???? Tough choice.
  • Options
    what did it give you for price? Not the invoice price, but the actual price you can buy it for? The reason it is selling for way below invoice is because dealers are reducing the price to near invoice and then knocking off the $4500 incentives (I'm guessing $4500, but could be more or less for all I know). And the carsdirect price isn't necessarily a particular dealership. As I understand it, carsdirect gives you the price and then, when you do a serious inquiry, sends your info to a few dealerships and the first one that has it in stock and calls you wins. But I've never used it. I've only gotten the number and brought it to a dealership.

Interesting, though. I think I just tried an Indianapolis zip code (46222?) and got an invoice of $38,449 and a price of $37,185.

Well, frankly, for $2700, you can bank on the fact that I'd fly my butt to New Jersey from Indiana and pick up a T5 and drive it back. But I guess that's not for everyone. If you are curious, try my zip code 07728.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    I too plugged those figures into carsdirect.com but I don't see where you got $34,074. Was that from a specific dealership. My dealership locally is basically giving me the car at less than carsdirect invoice price of $38,669 (they quoted me $36,800). Is it worth saving $2,500 if I have to drive across the country and lose the relationship I have with my local dealer which I like???? Tough choice.
  • Options
    patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Consumers' Most Wanted Vehicles for 2004 Survey is posted and ready for your input!
  • Options
    par8headpar8head Member Posts: 1
    Just ordered a new S60R from the factory, based in part on the praise the car has received in this discussion. Here is the deal I got, which I think is fairly good:

S60R w/manual, Black/Nordcap blue int., Premium, Climate, 18 in. wheels and Aero package.

Sticker $43,500

48 month lease

15k miles per year

total cash out of pocket $2000

$510 per month (includes KY state use taxes, approx. $20/mth)

Two questions, Does this sound like a good deal? and What are you all's thoughts on the Aero package. I went back and forth on whether to get it, and could still change the order.

Pick up the car in June.
  • Options
    larscalarsca Member Posts: 60
    It's a matter of aestethics and personal taste. I think it makes the car look stupid. But then again, I'm more for understatments rather than in-your-face. Other's aren't. It's up to you.

As far as performance with or without the aero package, if you notice any differance between the two and you're not driving on a closed corse, then you know you're driving way too fast for anyone's good...
  • Options
    I did it. I just ordered my new S60 T5 GT nautic blue/indigo cloth/graphite leather beauty,17" amalthea wheels....all the options except nav/phone for $36,800 in Indy. Should be here mid/late May when my C70 lease is up. Hate to give up my beautiful coupe....but the family is growing and two doors just doesn't cut it anymore.

I think this should be a pretty rare car with those color combinations? Anybody ever seen the split cloth/leather interior in blue/gray as I ordered...I actually never saw it only in the brochure. Hope it looks good! I think it will especially with the blue exterior which I know is good b/c my C70 is the same color nautic blue.

Any comments from current T5 GT owners on this car? I drove it at the dealership...it's pretty similar to my car now with about 10 more hp and its an automatic.
  • Options
    volvomaxvolvomax Member Posts: 5,238
    The indigo interior is extemely rare, order only .

I've seen in in the past, its a nice interior. I prefer full leather myself.
    We haven't had a new T5 here all year, but the car isn't that different from years past.
    You'll notice that its easier to steer and park than your C70(its almost 5 inches shorter)
  • Options
    dwightexdwightex Member Posts: 19
    We just bot s60R with Auto and Nav. 48 mos lease wtih 1 paymt and sec deposit down. Paymt $591/mos for 15000 miles, price includes personal property tax here in VA.

Amazing car, worth more than BMW 530, safe, beautiful and fast with great handling. Had to get automatic because wife drives it, stick is corvette-fast.
    sounds like your deal is similar with a little more down. Our invoice price was a hair over 40K
  • Options
    lcglcg Member Posts: 1
    Noticed several SW updates for the s60 on the volvotechinfo.com site. One for
    TNN43-42-2003-12-12
    2-3 upshift flare
    which I'm curently experiencing. I have schedule to have this fix, but also notice other updates
    TNN43-27-2004-01-22
    AW55-50 Adaption Procedure

TNN40-01-2003-09-22
    TRANSMISSION/POWER TRAIN RELATED SOFTWARE UPGRADE

TNN20-04-2003-09-22
    ENGINE MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE UPGRADE

TNN70-01-2003-09-22
    SUSPENSION CONTROL MODULE SOFTWARE UPGRADE
    Has anyone had these update completed. If not think its a good idea to keep up with the latest SW from Volvo ?
  • Options
    rocketman5rocketman5 Member Posts: 5
    After 2 years, 5 months, and 3 days, I have finally thrown in the towel with Volvo. Despite over 25 non-routine service visits for my '01 S60 T5 (bought new), as well as admissions from my dealer and Volvo North America that I've had an unusually high number of chronic and persistent problems, the only remedy offered to me was an extended warranty to 6years/85K miles. So my options were to get rid of this lemon or keep visiting my dealership every 2-4 weeks until the extended warranty expires, at which time I would have the privilege of paying for repairs. Suffice it to say that I picked up my '04 Infiniti G35 2 days ago and am not looking back...

So long, cruel Volvo.... See you over in the Infiniti boards. Best wishes to my former colleagues. I hope you have better luck than I did.
  • Options
    dobiedobie Member Posts: 1
    I had a 2001 Auto S40. Now I have the 2004 Manual S60. I liked the S40, but I love the S60. The S40 had turbo and more pickup, but the S60 is bigger and more stylish and the manual transmission is lots of fun to drive. I get a lot of compliments on this car and I agree with them. My favorite thing about this car is that I am fueling up less often with the S60 than with the S40 Turbo. The interior is on the plain side, but the seats are amazingly comfortable and I am extermely satisfied overall with this car!
  • Options
    avolvofanavolvofan Member Posts: 358
    I would have to agree with the assessment of the seats in the S60 - they seem to be particularly comfortable. I have previously owned 850, S-70 and C-70 models, and the S60 seats seem to be the most comfortable of the lot.
  • Options
    karrmankarrman Member Posts: 3
    I'm looking to purchase an S60 AWD soon. Are there any issues/problems I should know before buying? Thanks.
  • Options
    Newer models seem to be trouble-free. My 2002 recently needed a new radiator (which was replaced under warranty) due to a slight leak. Other than the radiator, my car has been trouble-free. I would also get the DSTC option.
  • Options
    woodhillwoodhill Member Posts: 1
    In wintery/snow conditions snow collects/lodges in the wheels causing an imbalance and thus severe vibrations. The only remedy is to physically clean the wheels. My dealer service manager says this is a design defect. Volvo will not swap the wheels; they say wash the car everyday when it snows. Volvo is selling a defective product! I am am very disappointed with my S60. I do not have this problem with my 2001 C70. From the dealer, I understand V70 and S80 wheels also have the problem (where I live it snows 135" a year).
  • Options
    robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    That can happen with any car. I've had snow and ice accumulate in my vehicles - both with alloy and steel wheels. It has been bad enough to throw off the balance. But once it melts, it's fine.

I think your dealer is feeding you a line about it being a defect and washing the car daily.
  • Options
    I would agree with robr2 - ice and snow accumulation can occur in any wheel. The notion that a wheel accumulating ice is a defect is a bit over the top. You could spray a de-icing compound that is listed as safe for painted surfaces on the wheels before you start out each day. Defect? Don't think so.
  • Options
    caymanscaymans Member Posts: 1
    I am interested in purchasing the S60. However, I am concerned about the performance of the 5 cylinder turbo charged engine. Over the years the advice has been to stay clear of turbo charged cars because of the maintenance of the turbo charger. Yet, I see a number of turbo charged Volvo's on the road. What has been the experience with the 5 cylinder engine and the up keep of the turbo charger in this car?
  • Options
    is a myth. Nothing special needs to be done to maintain the turbo. I've owned 3 turbo 5 cyl Volvo's all functioned flawlessly.
    You must remember to let the turbo cool down if you've driven the car hard for an extended period of time.
  • Options
    ctorreyctorrey Member Posts: 64
    par8head & dwightex -

Sounds like you guys did all right on the S60 R. I am now considering the same and I'd like to know how far below MSRP you were able to negotiate the cap cost (prior to cap cost reduction or down payments) expressed as a percentage. Thanks
  • Options
    aafaaf Member Posts: 9
    Generally, the S60 has been a good car to lease. However, I had a battery die because of a "defective cell" at 14,000 miles. Three of four low profile 17" aluminum wheels have damage from potholes. One wheel and tire needed replacement. The yellow check engine light is on most of the winter and the dealer cannot find the reason why. This week the windshield spontaneously cracked right in the center in a perfectly straight line with no rock chip I can see but the dealer denies faulty workmanship and wants > $600 for a replacement. (Don't worry, an aftermarket windshield will only be about $325.ha, ha) I have had the same problem with the snow collecting in the wheels and making the car difficult to control. This is a design flaw for a car made to travel in the snow and it never happened with my 1999 Volvo XC. All in all the S60 is satisfactory but I will not lease another. I might go back to the XC for the room and AWD
  • Options
    rqcrqc Member Posts: 95
    A fix for the trip odometer fix, at least for R cars, is available now.

It's a PIE 2 upgrade to the DIM (driver information module).
    Part #: 30677020
  • Options
    This should be the autolock (automatically lock all doors at 5 mph) for the S60R (and possibly the S60):
    Part #: 8637410

I should be able to confirm this on Friday.
  • Options
    The S60 seems to handle a car seat well. There is good space for the seat when it needs to be rear facing and when your child gets old enough and big enough to change to a forward facing seat and then later a booster, it works even better.
  • Options
    I know a lot of people say there is no break-in period, but I disagree. I kept RPMs under 4000 for the first 1200 miles. At 500 and 1000 miles, I noticed significant "loosening up" of the engine. Also, I didn't use synthetic oil until the first oil change at 7500 miles to let the engine wear in better.

I suppose there's a chance it would run this great even if I didn't break it in this way, but I've done this with several cars now and the results have always been years of a great running engine and trouble-free driving.
  • Options
    rqc, did you drain the oil from the engine when you took delivery of the car and replace the oil with non-synthetic? From the factory, the car comes with synthetic. volvomax can confirm whether it is Mobil1 or some other oil.
  • Options
    reneerenee Member Posts: 13
    HI, I'd like to get your opinion on this car. I'm in Texas. It's a 2002 Volvo S60 T5, automatic, leather seats and the works. It was a service loaner at the Volvo dealer. ONly has around 10,800-11000 miles on it. Being sold for $26,900 + ttl. Is that a fair price? How much do you think I can negotiate down? If I buy it, should I have it inspected by an independent mechanic?

Thanks
  • Options
    Volvo's don't come w/ full synthetic. Its a blend.
    Oddly, Volvo doesn't require synthetic for the R.
    First oil change on my R, synthetic is going in.
  • Options
    you are better off asking that question over in this discussion:
    /direct/view/.ee9c851

• Options
    Gbrozen,
    Thanks for the feedback.
  • Options
    Good morning,
    I purchased a 2002 s60 T5 and yesterday when I was driving it home I experienced a weird sensation. When I pressed the breaks at one intersection, the steering wheel move to the left but the car did not seem to move with it. I pressed the breaks again and the wheel went to the left again. After that I had to straighten the steering wheel to keep driving. This did not happen again. Was this the Dynamic stability control system kicking in? The car has brand new pads and rotors and the roads were slightly wet.
    Thanks
  • Options
    lev_berkovichlev_berkovich Member Posts: 858
    Yes it was. I always experience some sensations trough the steering wheel, when stability system kicks in on my S80. Just hold on a steering wheel and the car will do the rest. I am always very impressed with the system, when driving at the ski resort my FWD with no chains and passing by with confidence the 4x SUV's, struggling on a road. The Volvo DST control is one of the best in the world, if not the best.
  • Options
    tarheels23tarheels23 Member Posts: 1
    I live in CA and am in the market for a S60R. I have visited a few dealers, all of whom are trying to give me the runaround on how exclusive the car is and how they wouldn't dare discount it one dollar.

Obviously, this post suggests that there are deals out there.

One, I wanted to understand where (i.e., state or city) people have been successful in negotiating the price down. I am moving out of CA soon so I don't have to worry about making sure the car has specific CA-only emissions, etc. standards on it.

Second, does the $4,500 in financing cash still exist? Is it only for lease arrangements? A friend of mine in the Philly area just convinced a dealership to give him the $4,500 (he is leasing) although the dealership stated the deal officially expired last month.

Thanks in advance.
  • Options
    jiggyjiggy Member Posts: 17
    The 4500 cash back for leasing an s60 expired at the end of March.
    My friend leased a fully loaded s60R and received that discount. He made sure the dealer found him a leasing company that did not have a penalty for early termination and will buy out the lease next month.
    Thats one way you can use the lease cash break to your advantage.
  • Options
    lpblpb Member Posts: 1
    Maybe just a freak occurence, but the S60R I picked up over the weekend was discounted below invoice - of course, very few people are actually interested in the manual version of the vehicle in this area. Not leasing - I drive way too many miles for that, so I didn't qualify for the lease incentive. I think the dealerships are playing a game with you, but that's my 2 cents :)

LPB
  • Options
    dsylvadsylva Member Posts: 2
    Just trying to understand how the X-Plan works. If I get a PIN and get the standard discount, do I also get to apply the "Marketing Incentive" that is currently $3000?
  • Options
    Dealer is supposed to apply all incentives that you qualify for.
  • Options
    Looking at the OSD price sheet for the S60R from the Volvo webpage, first of all it looks very very interesting. For instance, OSD pricing for the car of my choice with the options I want is approximately $37700. Retail price in the US comes to about $40600 (Edmunds price, not MSRP). But, on top of the US price I also have to pay tax and license, so my estimate puts that price closer to $44000 (maybe I'm off by $500 or so, but anyway...)

When you purchase OSD, is the $37700 it? Do I pay any taxes, license, handling, port fees, whatever? In other words, are there any "hidden" fees with OSD?

And one last question, does Volvo offer extended warranty for lets say 7 years/100000 miles or so, and what would that cost? And, can you do OSD and also get the extended warranty?

volvomax would probably know all about this, and if this info has been posted in this forum already I apologize.
  • Options
    I thought this was interesting, but it raises the question "less sales tax" - that doesn't mean no sales tax, so how much is that?

"Free Swedish tourist registration and return shipment to the United States is included. There are no U.S. Customs Duty or port clearance fees. And when you consider that you will also pay less in sales tax and avoid expensive European rental car costs and rental car return restrictions (from one country to another) - the Volvo Overseas Delivery Program is definitely the way to go."
                                        - From www.flyvolvo.com
  • Options
    "When you purchase OSD, is the $37700 it? Do I pay any taxes, license, handling, port fees, whatever? In other words, are there any "hidden" fees with OSD?"

You pay the sales tax and the license fee, when you register your car. Please notice - both of those are paid to your local government, not to the Volvo. All other taxes and fees are included into the OSD price.
    You also save the destination charge with the OSD ($600 - $700).

"And one last question, does Volvo offer extended warranty for lets say 7 years/100000 miles or so, and what would that cost? And, can you do OSD and also get the extended warranty?"

Yes it does, the price is different in the different markets, I will estimate it at around $2000 for 84m/100000mi.
  • Options
    Yes, you do pay less in the sales tax, as tax is calculated based on the selling price.
    The OSD savings are, from what I know, 8-10% of the US price you would pay.
    So, the tax savings would be the same - 8-10%.

Also, the OSD is perfect in conjunction with the planned European vacations - you definitely save on the rental (a good $100 per day, maybe much more, if you buy S80 or XC90, and would want to rent somewhat similar), and you get 2 free transatlantic round trip tickets (can run as much as $2500 in the summer from the West coast)

We go to Europe every 2-3 years and buy new cars every 5-6 years, so for the second time we plan our "other" vacation around the purchasing cars through the OSD.

But, most of all, I believe that everyone who has gone with the OSD program will agree with me - That is a totally different, unforgettable car buying experience.
  • Options
    OSD prices are typically 8-10% below US MSRP.

Tax and license fees are paid to your state when you register the vehicle.
    Car is paid for 30 days prior to pickup in Europe.

If you want an R you should check on availability. Volvo is in buildout right now. 2004's are being discontinued.
    As a matter of fact, Volvo has a Formula 1 trip available for August, you will get a 2005 S60R, 2 business class tickets and tickets to the Belgian Grand Prix. The first 15 people to order the R will be offered this package. The trip is $2495.
  • Options
    I wish I had the money to get in on that deal, but sadly I don't. I'm still working on old bills before it's time for new car purchase, but boy-o-boy would I like to go and see a live F1 race! I've heard it's nothing like you expect, and more than you could imagine.

I'm not sure it's safe to go see the race in a brand new S60R though. Knowing me, I'd get alot of speeding tickets leaving the race...
  • Options
    jiggyjiggy Member Posts: 17
    Are they going to make a 2005 s60R? I thought they were only going to make the 2004's and be done until the next re-iteration.