Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Real-World Trade-In Values

Comments

• Options
    hoodornamenthoodornament Member Posts: 114
    2002 Passat GLS - 4cyl 1.8t in NJ, USA
    Manual trans.
    Silverstone Grey
    Black Leather
    Moonroof
    Heated seats
    Alloy wheels
    Dealer installed single CD player
    32k eeeeasy highway miles

What might be a real world trade in value?
    Thanks alot,
  • Options
    dougb10dougb10 Member Posts: 185
    How about giving Terry a break eh guys? How many times do you have to be reminded about giving him all the info?
    No miles....geez...well let's see....if it's only got 25.000 it could be worth...oh. it's got 100,000...man that thing is toast.
    Well where is it? In Texas? and it's black? It's got "hot seats" all right!
    And it's got a "small fender dent"...you can only see daylight through it when you look really hard...sure it's small...only 18 inches across and the paint hasn't started to rust through yet.
    Dealer serviced? Well how about Billy Bob's bait shop and import car repair? They gave me a great deal on used oil.
    Give Terry a break!
  • Options
    18fan18fan Member Posts: 129
    Thanks for you help with the Jetta...

--18fan
  • Options
    dkuhajdadkuhajda Member Posts: 487
    try and sell one on the market. The car has very little following and little realization of what the car is until it gets driven.

As a result on the market, of the few people who would even consider the 5 speed, fewer realize the handling and power in the car, to them it is just an option package. That was the point I was trying to make.

I have seen too many SVT's sit on dealers lots for months here bringing only a little more than a loaded Contour.

If he belongs to an SVT fan club, they might be able to hook him up with someone willing to pay significantly more than trade in.
  • Options
    serugserug Member Posts: 3
    The other details for the trade in are good condition, white color, and St. Louis, Missouri area --- a Nissan Maxima SE (1991 manual transmission) w/ newer fuel injectors... all components work properly (moon roof, premium wheels, power windows, rear spolier, and etc.) Interior is in good condition (i.e., no tears or discoloration). The only body nick is a 3 inch x 1/2 inch rust spot under the passenger rear wheel well.

Will probably trade for a 2003 Accord EX-V6. Thanks

Let me know if you need anything else.

Thanks

serug
  • Options
    dkuhajdadkuhajda Member Posts: 487
    "The other details for the trade in are good condition, white color and St. Louis, Missouri area ---"

Three words: How Many Miles?

BTW good condition and any rust do not go together. For the year, maybe average condition.

Sounds kind of like a $1000-1500 sell it yourself car if it has anywhere over 120K miles.
  • Options
    rroyce10rroyce10 Member Posts: 9,332
    ...... Good color, miles are out of whack and it's a handshaker ..

If it's clean , deep in rubber, no adventures with the 82nd Airborne, then trade side you should be seeing the high $13's, low $14's .. the biggest problem here, is you have to compete with the 10/15kers ..

Terry :)
  • Options
    .... Hello SF .... I'm not getting any warm and fuzzy feelin' here .. he has all the Disney package junk and the steering is ...?

I would definatly have this one looked at Clooose .. something is not right here, do Carfax, do the Vin# at a Lexus dealer and see the history .. $12,0 is almost too cheap ..

But good luck and let me know ...

Terry.
  • Options
    ....... Would love to help - but ..

2WD ---- 4wd .................................................................- .................................................................- ............................. ?????????????

kkkkkkkkkkilling me ..!

Terry.
  • Options
  • Options
    tblazer503tblazer503 Member Posts: 620
    Okay Terry, got one for ya

I think this darn thing is a '91 Legend LS Auto
    It's got the leather, sliders, roof, too many lights, etc.

outside is in good condition
    inside is in fair condition(leather has NOT been hovered over... but not abused)
    140k miles Charcoal gray/black interior
    4dr Sedan new tires, all else good.

Whaddya say down trade or retail rd??

oh yeah, this is in Portland, Oregon.
  • Options
    Got a buddy selling an '03 Accord V6 EX for probably about 21k w/ 3000 miles. Wonder how long that will last... =oP hehe
  • Options
    5speeder5speeder Member Posts: 97
    OK, OK doughb10, so I missed the mileage. (Sorry, Terry.) I can't speak for everyone doughb10, but I only need to be reminded once, thanks for asking. Now can the sarcasm and take a deep breath.

Let's try it again:

I'd like your estimate of RWTV for a 99 Saab 9-3 SE 5door hatch, AT, leather, trunk CD changer, hot seats (another way of saying "heated", doughb10), new touring tires, one small fender dent. Didn't think the color would matter, but it's blue metallic exterior/gray interior. Mileage = 62k. The car's in Minneapolis. Also, how much would you ask if selling privately?

Edmunds TMV gives only $69 more for SE model over same-equipped S model. Can you hazard a guess as to how come?

Thanks!
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,422
    On the Legend.. you can tell the difference between L and LS, by the rub strip going around the car.. It is body colored on the LS, and black on the L. There is another interior option that distinguishes them as well, but I'll be darned if I can remember right now.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    dougb10dougb10 Member Posts: 185
    Sorry about my rant and I apologize for the harsh comments. I appreciate how hard this guy works for absolutely nothing and he constantly has to ask people for more info. You certainly are not the only one. It must drive him crazy. Just read over the past messages and you will see what I mean.
    I have taken a deep breath. Thanks, I feel better.

Doug

P.S. I am well aware of what you meant by hot seats.
  • Options
    rodan99rodan99 Member Posts: 4
    Hi Terry , was wondering what the trade in would be on this car, in Columbus Oh...
    99 civic ex coupe, silver.
     -automatic
     - all stock equipment, no pep boys rims or coffee can muffler added.
     - 59k miles
     - dealer serviced
     - very clean, great condition except one 3" round dent on rear left right above beltline.

Thanks!
  • Options
    mpp2mpp2 Member Posts: 97
    I am currently looking at a 2000 Acura 3.2 TL no nav, no type -S. Comes with all the standard goodies, leather, moonroof, 6 cyl,4 dr, it's that dark grey color, excellent condition. Car has 29K miles on it. Lower Hudson Valley, New York. I hope I have everything, as I don't want to go to my room:) What is a fair price for this car? Thank you in advance.
  • Options
    stubborn1stubborn1 Member Posts: 85
    I'm looking to sell my 98 Explorer 4wd in the metro Milwaukee area. I'll sell it myself, so I guess I'm looking for what $ I should start at.

110k miles, bottom of the line XL model - vinyl seats and all, AC, cruise, auto, tires 50%, body has a few little dings and such, green in color

Also, I'm looking to pick up the following:

2002 Chevy Astro LS, 2wd, 15k miles, dutch doors, power everything, rear heat/air, towing package, tan in color, great shape - asking price is $16,000. What $ should take this home?

Would I be better off waiting until Nov when 4wd is in greater demand and 2wd gets weak?

Thanks for the help!
  • Options
    mga58mga58 Member Posts: 17
    A little help, please--the fair price to pay dealer in Minnesota for 1997 Lexus LX450, 60k, beige, usual options, including leather, warmers, sun roof and 3rd row seats. New tires and 60k service done. Many thanks.
  • Options
    twhantwhan Member Posts: 45
    For the help on pricing the 97 Acura TL, your price is right on. The seller acutally dropped to 12.5K after a little bit of negotiation. However, when I checked the car, the engine oil was pretty dark and has bubbles in it(not sure air bubble or water bubble). Ran a VIN check at the Acura dealer and found he hasn't done any services in the past one and a half year. Oh, my! I have cancelled the deal. Thanks anyway. As for the 95 Maxima, I didn't review the repair receipt. But it sounds like just the bumper got replaced.
  • Options
    ghuletghulet Member Posts: 2,564
    Sorry I've been AWOL, it IS a 4-door, fortunately.

Rehash:
    '96 Blazer LS 4-door
    black, gray cloth
    pw/pl/cruise/CD, WARM a/c
    body decent, a few scratches but no damage
    ABS light on
    90k miles

I have the feeling we're stuck with this one til the trust fund pops or we win the Lotto.
  • Options
    isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    Those bubbles were probably not a big deal.

Also, oil can turn "dark" pretty quickly.

It's entirly possible that not all oil changes were done by the Acura dealer. There are a ton of places to get one's oil changed.

In other words...you COULD have passed on a good car.
  • Options
    lancerfixerlancerfixer Member Posts: 1,284
    I've gotta side with twhan on this one. Why take the gamble? He wasn't buying an Aston Martin Lagonda. There are other TLs in the sea...
  • Options
    lanzzlanzz Member Posts: 76
    Terry - helping out a co-worker, can you please give me trade ins for the following... They are both located in Westchester County NY.

#1 - 1998 Accord EX V6 4dr auto - Dark green with tan leather, needs tires, had all service, average condition for it's age, a few dings and dents - 90,000 miles.

#2 - 1997 Explorer XLT V8 4dr 4wd - Red with tan cloth, 68,000 miles - good condition - does not need tires, power stuff, cloth inside.

No paintwork on either car - thanks in advance.

Ed
  • Options
    dmitryzdmitryz Member Posts: 14
    Want to sell -
    2001 BMW 325i 4-dr sedan

19.5k miles
    auto tranny
    silver exterior
    black interior[not leather]
    power seats
    premium package
    power everything else
    moonroof
    6-cd
    wood
    trip computer
    rear side airbags

condition - not a scratch

THANKS IN ADVANCE!
  • Options
      .... >> twhan by isellhondas Jul 22, 2003 (5:04 pm)
    Those bubbles were probably not a big deal.

Also, oil can turn "dark" pretty quickly.

It's entirely possible that not all oil changes were done by the Acura dealer. There are a ton of places to get one's oil changed.

In other words... you COULD have passed on a good car << ..

That's why it's better to get a pro to take a look - when my vehicles get detailed, they are put on a lift and the bottom is hit with a 2500 psi pressure washer first .. the point here is, after a detail on a Durango the customer said it been in an accident, because the black plastic inside fender walls are never that clean, so he left .. he never even bothered to look at the Carfax, DMV and the Chrysler service reports .. oh well, it sold 3 hrs later .. :)

Terry.
  • Options
    ...... Good morning Sue, you must be a blonde .. ;-)

Eeeow .! - 100k ....? so much for that dating service .. ok color, let's hope this puppy is clean, waaay deep in round things, service is all there and it looks and feels like 50k .. probably looking at the high $7's, low low $8's on a trade in your area .. ever think about taking a cab ..?

Terry.
  • Options
    ....... Is that Mazda a 2WD ..... ?

Or

4WD .................. ?

Denali's are real popular right now .. this one is low in miles, gotta think they have $28/$29ish in it .. $33,5 ..? perhaps not, more in the that $32ish figure should work .. did you know this a 4WD vehicle ..?

Terry.
  • Options
    ... I must be going blind ......!

what year ....?

Year ...... ?

Year .....?

Year ..............?

Year ...?

What year is this dude ............??

Remind me too kill you later ..!

Terry.
  • Options
    ..... Your welcome ...... !

Terry.
  • Options
    ..... I can't see this one, but I'm not getting any "warm and fuzzy" here .. tall miles, doesn't "seem" to be cared for, service better be 110% .. might be worth the high $4's, low $5's trade side .. could be worth the mid $7's with a great history ..

Let me know ...

Terry.
  • Options
      ..... God Bless the 101st ....

Terry.
  • Options
    ........ Hey dude -- what's the friggin' miles on these Fords .................................................................- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - .................................................................- .................................................................- .................................................................- .................................................................- .................................................................- .................................................................- .................................................................- .................................................................- .................................................................- .................................................................- .................................................................- ......................... ???

Caught it about 10 posts later ... ggrrrrr

99 SE's, with 60k, clean, deep in rubber, lookin' 30k and needs -0- .. high $3's - maybe, the low low low $4's .. if not, start deducting ..

Terry.
  • Options
    .... Great vehicles, sorry your having problems with this one .. not knowing all the facts on the problem, can't cost more than $450 or depending on their acct dept, maybe more .l.o.l. ..

But anyway, your not getting any help from the color or the miles .. trade side, in and around the $11's, "maybe" " might" see the low low low $12's ..

Let me know ...

Terry.
  • Options
    ..... Good history, lease for 4 years, sold twice no biggie .. trade side, in and around the high $7's, low $8's -

IF it's a nice one, I would be going down Retail RD, a "ultra detail" super service, great ad, $11,9 in the paper and $10,5/$11,5 get's a new owner .. in your area it shouldn't take a week ...

Let me know ...

Terry.
  • Options
    williamshimwilliamshim Member Posts: 40
    They are 2001 BMW Z3 3.0i. I'm reposting below so you don't have to go back for it.

Silver with red leather.
    39K miles
    New rear tires. (Will need to replace front in about 5K miles or so)
    Premium package, premium sound and cold weather package. (HK audio, heated/power seats, power roof, heated mirror, wood dash trim, on board computer, etc)
    Manual.

Another one same as above except 41K miles with steptronic (did I spell it right? )

Both in good to excellet condition. (One was in an accident but fixed by the BMWCCA local chapter recommanded body shop and the job was done right, while the other one has a slight paint chip thanks to the I-95 and it's road conditin + big trucks.)

All scheduled services done (and why not when it's free and we get to drive a different loaner each time. :-))

Although, the step is $1000+ option. I don't think the manual/steptronic will make any differnece in prices?

What would be the trade-in/private party sale price? Your opinion please.

oh, and in Richmond, VA area but can travel to Philly, PA if it makes any difference. (Recently moved to VA but hasn't registered to VA yet)
  • Options
    jlawrence01jlawrence01 Member Posts: 1,757
    Sold 2 of them yesterday for $4100 firm. Told them I had a couple of people waiting for them ...
  • Options
    What state do you live in?

kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    5speeder5speeder Member Posts: 97
    No harm! Hope he does mine next!
  • Options
    zueslewiszueslewis Member Posts: 2,353
  • Options
    patchman1patchman1 Member Posts: 2
    Could I get an opinion about what the trade in value might be on a 2002 Acura RSX type S w/ 16,500 miles around Chicago? Desert Silver Metallic, and it's in nearly perfect condition.

Thanks!
  • Options
    I'm in New York State
  • Options
    Would love for you to apprasie my BMW 325i.

Thanks in advance!
  • Options
    I was just thinking... maybe if you were closer.. a little far for me to go...

thanks,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    It's a very fast car. You'll get back home to KY in a jiffy.:)
  • Options
    LOL.. Its also just a little early for me.. My wife has 5 months left on her lease. Maybe if you still have it in November or December. I'd have to lie to her, though... "Sure, honey, thats real leather".

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    riceman3riceman3 Member Posts: 19
    Looking for the value on a 2001 ML320. 41K Miles, Navy out/ grey inside, Pretty loaded, (sunroof, 6Disc Bose CD, etc) except for NAV. Just moved to Seattle, but Car is in CA and can be sold in either location if the price difference is significant. Any idea what its worth on trade?
  • Options
    graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    Because of a divorce, I got custody of an '03 PT Cruiser GT Turbo with 6,500 miles....sunroof, side airbags, autostick, leather, CD player, red.

It's washed/waxed and needs no clean-up.

Don't really want it. What can I expect as trade-in on an RX8 in Ohio?

Thanks!
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • Options
    think you lost my car...

need a run down trade and retail rd.

'91 Acura Legend L 4dr 140k miles
    blk interior, some charcoal silver(graphite?) exterior.
    Auto, Leather, all the options.

Leather has some wear, but not bad for 12yrs. interior v. clean overall.
    Exterior is in good condition. glossy paint, nicks and dings here and there....

new tires, pads, rotors resurfaced, tune-up, all maintenance been done in the last month (darn g/f parents can't make up their mind on the car & want us to sell it b/c they want her to get a mid90's Accord eerrrrgggghhhhh!!!)

Looks in and around the 5's on retail and 4 on trade?? Let me know what you think terry. thanks
  • Options
    viper0074viper0074 Member Posts: 56
    Thanks for taking the time to "look" at my RL.

I went to an Acura dealer on Monday and got $5600 for it. I was hoping to get at least $6000.

Oh well ... It looks like it's pretty much inline with what you said.

I really appreciate what you're doing here for everyone at Edmunds.

Thanks again,

Peter