Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

BMW 3-Series 2005 and earlier

Comments

• Options
    brave1heartbrave1heart Member Posts: 2,698
    I like STP too. Not a big fan of the lyrics (little too dark) but there's something about the overall sound that I find liberating. I listen to all kinds of music (except for country) but when it comes to getting a rush from music, there's nothing that works better for me than Judas Priest: esp. Defenders of the Faith. The energy, the collective sound, the rush. I'm almost scared to listen to that CD in my 325i because I won't be able to keep the speed in double-digits. Guess I'll have to wait till after the break-in :o)
  • Options
    burrsrburrsr Member Posts: 255
    Yeah -- I recall your saga vividly. ONE wait is torture, let alone TWO, especially having a one-week "taste". What a tease...

Certainly in your case that savings justified the situation. Sounds like your dealer has been great through all of the fan/overheating problems, too. And, if I remember correctly, you got one of the best deals of anyone. Sometimes the low-volume dealer is also low-cost; the Cinti dealers really have no reason to deal, especially around the 1st of the year when I got mine. hopefully that'll loosen over time, as the economy fluctuates, as the platform ages, etc...But then a NEW platform will be introduced and we'll repeat the cycle all over again! Technology sure is a wonderful thing -- keeps the wheels goin' round...

Signing off for now...
  • Options
    gurumikegurumike Member Posts: 442
    Week 23 is, I believe, 27th May to 2nd June. On that basis, let's say it's on a boat by June 10th, should be in New Jersey around 15th and at your dealer about a week later. So, the window should open around 20th. Enjoy !!!
  • Options
    OK, laugh at me all you want. I'd do anything to put a smile on your faces (I think it's mutual) but this is a true story from tonight. I went jogging, right, but realized I didn't have any comfortable CLEAN T-shirts left (I'm sure it's never happened to you :o). so I figured what the hell, I'll put on the BMW T-shirt that my dealer gave me as a present when I picked my car. I hesitated for a second 'cause I don't wanna come out as a snob, esp. jogging, but it was either that or one of those T-shirts that used to fit 20 lbs. ago. So I put it on and went out. And holy smokes, this thing is all BMW too. I mean, it's heavy-duty - double-layer for heavy exercise, it looks athletic like a Bimmer, it fits great like the sports seats and it's got this great optimized air flow. I'm happy it was almost dark out so fewer people would see me with my show-off T-shirt. But it's so sporty and comfortable, I think I'm gonna buy a bunch of these and wear them upside-down. Oh, one drawback, though: unfortunately, it seemed like there were more guys checking me out (the BMW logo, that is) than girls looking at me. I know, like I said, you can laugh at me all you want but I'm buying a bunch of these...
  • Options
    chloe6chloe6 Member Posts: 38
    Hi!

I need a new car and have decided to order a 2001 325i sedan. I have a few questions for all of your experts out there!

First of all, all of the reviews I've read about the 325i have been very positive, but I'm wondering what actual owners think of them. I'm looking for a very reliable car, so if anyone is having problems with a 325i, please let me know!

Also, has anyone seen the red leather interior? It looks great on the bmwusa.com website, and I'm thinking of special-ordering a car just so I can get the red interior. If anyone has seen it in an actual car, please let me know what you thought of it. I'd hate to special order the car, wait for weeks and weeks, and then find out the red leather is hideous.

Also, if you've had any experiences -- good or bad -- with New Jersey BMW dealerships, please let me know. There are several dealers in my area, and if any of them are known weasels, I'd like to avoid them. (From what I've learned so far, the price of the car will be quite similar no matter who I buy it from.)

Thanks for any advice you can provide. I'd like to purchase a car this weekend, and if I hear bad things about the BMW, I'll have to start my search all over again (any ideas???)

Have a great week!

Regards,
    Chloe
  • Options
    veekay1veekay1 Member Posts: 180
    Gurumike:
    I have ordered a week 22 325xi.
    As per your earlier post, week 22 should be May20-26, right? Are you sure about that? If not, what would be the best source to find out? I live in NJ. I had given up on June delivery, but after reading your post, seems like it may be possible.

veekay1(week 22, 325xi, blk sapphire metallic/gray)
  • Options
    new_guy1new_guy1 Member Posts: 1
    Hi Guys,

I am planing to buy 325i after having read so many positive news for 325i on this board,thank you Guys:)
    In Canada CD-player is a standard (I don't wanna replaced with cassette),but also I really enjoy MP3 music while driving, so is there good way for coexisting both of them ? I know there is a prewire, is that possible to get a interface for my MP3 player ?

Thanks in advance.
  • Options
    ...yup, and I think it would almost be safe to say that that date is the latest it sould be.
  • Options
    If it's finished on, say, 24th, it will be at the port with-in two days (damn efficient those German teamsters). Now it must wait for the next boat going to your nearest VPC (vehicle processing center). It could be there's a boat leaving the next day, or the next ship may not be leaving for ten days. Lets call it a week from the finish date (24th in this example) so it leaves Germany on the 31st. I know that right now, it's 29 days on average for the boat to get to Port Hueneme (near Oxnard), CA for the west coast sailing via the Panama Canal. I can't imagine it's more than 14 days to get to the VPC. There's a VPC in S.Carolina and I believe there's also one in the New Jersey area - may be some one could let me know! So the boat docks the 14th and the *very efficent* VPC and US teamsters get the car to the dealer about 8 days later.

Yup, I'd say there's ever chance you'll be a driver before the end of June.

**Of course, if I'm wrong on week 23 being 27-2nd and it is, as jimbres noted, week ending 9th, then we'll all need to add one week onto our calculations.

Hmmm
  • Options
    Week 23 is week ending the 9th. But quite honestly, if you all have got Germany cars, they're finishing sold units ahead of estimated right now so I still think my guessed arrive at your dealer is quite good. BUT, if you've got a South Africa 325i sedan (which, if it's AWD, it can not be as they are only made in Germany), then not only will it get built that week, but the delivery from that factory is painfully slow. We've had two month plus lead times from there!!!
  • Options
    alpine325ialpine325i Member Posts: 209
    For the 89 Corvette, Performance Choice Cold air induction: $250. Hyper Tech Stage 3 chip: $200. Flowmaster Cat Back exhaust system, 2 mufflers with 1 3" Y pipe: $600. These are Corvette prices. A single performance muffler for the 3 series is anywhere between $300 to $600. I just got my Bavarian Autosport catalog and they have some nice performance upgrades, but since it is a BMW, the upgrades will cost more than your average GM or Ford Type of cars.
  • Options
    jnscheongjnscheong Member Posts: 66
    Have been following this board for a while. Finally decided to make the jump and get a 330i.

Any experiences and opinions about LA/CO area dealers, in particular Crevier BMW and Sterling BMW, will be very much appreciated.

jnscheong
  • Options
    Is yours the automatic with just xenons going to Desimone BMW in Marlton? I think it's more likely to be the high spec car going to Manhattan as it's still "111".
    If it is, I was curious about how it is doing out of state purchases there.

Just wondering
  • Options
    alpine325ialpine325i Member Posts: 209
    I liked the 50 mile drive home story. I know what you mean, everytime I push the car on the highway (I 476) between 80 and 100 MPH switching lanes and hugging curves, I come to my exit and stop at the light abruptly, I take a deep breath and go YES! AWESOME!, like a kid on a roller coaster after the final turn when they hit the brakes to slow it down. Now, about the disc brake dust, I keep hinting to everyone to buy the Kleen Wheels Dust Shields. (picking up megaphone) BUY THE KLEEN WHEELS! I REPEAT, BUY THE KLEEN WHEELS! you won't believe how good this product is. I drove 2000 miles and my wheels looked as clean as the day I washed them, of course it didn't rain for those 2000 miles, but I was amazed at how good they work, and they make the wheels stand out more. Bavarian Autosport recommends them, and I've bought them for my 16" Star Spoke 45's. $60 for a set of 4. Worth every penny :o)
  • Options
    jimbresjimbres Member Posts: 2,025
    chloe6 -

I have a steel grey / tanin red leather 330i on order. BMWs are thick on the ground where I live, & I want something that will stand out. The red leather really accentuates the sporty nature of the E46, IMHO.
  • Options
    lewparker1lewparker1 Member Posts: 21
    Hi,
    My 325i was a week 21 production, which should have been the w/o May 20th. However, the car went status 150 (production) on April 26th. Clearly, BMW is several weeks ahead of schedule. You can get all the info about your car at owners circle at www.bmwusa.com, if you have your production number. You can also call BMWNA and ask them. I suspect that your week 22 bimmer is already in production, assuming that its a german build. I'm anticipating a mid-June delivery for my week 21 car. I was told by my dealer that once the car is on the boat it takes 10-12 days to cross, and should be at the VPC within two weeks. Of course, this is if you have a german build and live on the east coast. Best of luck, and enjoy!

Love Priest too, esp. Unleashed in the East, Les Binks you're the man! I'm a real amateur bass player. My claim to fame is that I jammed with Marty Friedman, lead guitarist for Megadeth, when I was 16!

Braveheart, those guys on bimmer.org are brutal! I know some of them are jerks, but it's a good source of info. I prefer this board, but I read both.

Lewis.
  • Options
    yanbukenyanbuken Member Posts: 12
    Platypus and other Euro Delivery members - I plan to take ED of a 330Ci next summer, so thanks for the very interesting and informative write-up of your experiences. I understand that car theft in France and Italy is extremely high, as is vandalism on obvious tourist vehicles. Did you ever have any insecurities regarding parking the new beemer on the streets over night? Has any of you ED members experienced any problems in Europe in regards to the security of your car?? Do you have any good tips on protecting your car over there? Just thinking (and worrying) ahead.
    Thanks - Ken
  • Options
    camnellum1camnellum1 Member Posts: 19
    chloe6 re red leather...I have not seen it except in an Audi TT...I thought it looked great on the convertible. I don't think you would go wrong with your choice. Point is, try your best to get a look at the red leather before you buy, and then get what YOU like! I bought my 325xi from Hunterdon BMW in NJ...they seemed very professional. My deal wasn't as good as some on this board, however I was told the xi's are in great demand in this neck of the woods so one would expect less of a discount. Also, I did not buy off the lot which porbably would save some extra cash. (my salesman was Jerry Nace)

Veekay1 and gurumike...my car had a week 14 production date (Germany). Car arrived on May 1st in Jersey city and was at my NJ dealership May 3rd and ready for pickup on the 4th. It is possible that you may get a late June delivery if the schedule has accelerated, but if your car is built in Germany, and the times are the same as mine, it looks like a holiday weekend pickup. what a great 4th of July present! Congratulations...
  • Options
    denrightdenright Member Posts: 285
    The thing about the 330xi AWD sport package is that it is entirely cosmetic aside from the sport seats. No sport suspension. Nothing dramatic. Just some ground effects and sport seats and different rims and steering wheel. This of course contrasts with the 300i Sport Package, which gets performance tires and sport suspension.

The sport seats are like works of art, they are so finely molded to a medium-sized man's frame. I am 5'11" and about 180, and they seem to have been designed for ME. That said, the regular seats really are wonderful themselves -- MUCH better bolstered and designed than any seats in any car I have ever had.

So for me it came down to whether I liked the sport seats enough to pay $765 extra AND get the M aero styling that I really don't like. I decided no -- not because of the money, but because of the aesthetic issues concerning the M aero styling. Further, like some other posters, I actually was concerned about scraping and breaking the groundeffects on my driveway or on the ubitquitous speedbumps around my house.
  • Options
    sunnybrooksunnybrook Member Posts: 74
    Would you guys say the steel blue metallic with a grey leather interior is one of the sportiest and sharpest color combinations to get? I've been trying to figure out what the best interior/exterior combo is, and it seems this is the most popular and attractive way to go. Anyone have this type of car? Also, I know that most people are paying about 1,500 over invoice. Anyone out there mangage to get lower than this?
  • Options
    i dodged a huge bullet this morn on my way to work. i was going pretty fast and my gut feeling told me there's sth wrong w/ traffic. slowed down to 75 in the fast lane and sure enough, there was a cruiser pulled on the side waiting to catch some fish. close call, got very lucky - i'm happy but wondering how much longer it's gonna be before the ticket. every day i get away is a blazing success...

what is it w/ judas fans and bmws - i would've never thought. wild stuff, and that's 30+ yr olds we're talking about. i too was kicked out of a quire like rob halford but that's 'cause my singing really f***ing sucks. i'm better off not touching any music instruments at all - every time i've tried it people find the stupidest excuse to leave the room.

ed - alsace in france is very safe (visited last year) - they have the best of france with near-german roads and infrastructure. very picturesque - castles, schwartzwald and all, strongly recommend it.

red leather - sat in a steel gray w/ red leather. i too liked it on the pictures but not as much in reality. it'd be much more at home in a jazzier car like a roadster.

alp, haven't forgotten about the kleen wheels - think i'll be more comf buying them when they've been around long enough to be sure that the brakes don't overheat. i guess 2k miles is good?

gotta run save my job before i lose it...later, friends
  • Options
    Gurumike:
    Thanks for your input. Yes, its the one @DeSimone in NJ; how did you know? But I didnt understand your comment regarding the "high spec Manhattan" etc.... Please elaborate. Did you mean my delivery would be delayed? Please explain.
    Camnellum1: Thanks! yes, i am eagerly awaiting June delivery, if not for anything else, then for 5.9% financing. I dont know when I will get it!
    Thanks
  • Options
    that there's this tight curve on my way to work that's my favorite during my morn commute. my jetta vr6 w/ z-rated tires and pushing it to the limits of adhesion could take it 65. the 325i sp did it at 75 this morn and there was definitely room for another 10 miles when i get more comfy w/ this incredibly-well handling, beautiful, addicitve, you know what i mean car.
  • Options
    platypusplatypus Member Posts: 192
    postoak: The silver 3er that I peered into had dark cloth seats. They appeared to be black, but could also have been dark gray. (Car was locked.) There was a noticeable pattern on the seats. Couldn't tell if the seats were textured or smooth, but I could definitely see a pattern (lots of little, lighter colored slashes.) I personally don't like the appearance of cloth seats, especially when there is a pattern (my GS-R has a similar look). Plus, I'm moving to the west coast this summer so I won't be worrying about the Texas heat anymore. However, if this type of seating fabric pleases you, then you're certainly correct that cloth is easier to deal with in Texas than leather/ette.

yanbuken: I can't speak for France and Italy since I was only in Germany and Austria. We did not have any problems but if you read my story, you will remember that I was pulled over on the autobahn in Germany for no apparent reason. I have since learned that since ED cars are marked with unique tourist plates, they are easily spotted. Apparently, there have been problems with tourist cars stolen in western Europe and sold in the eastern countries.

There are a few precautions you can take to ensure your car's safety and your peace of mind.
    - Stay in hotels that have underground garages, or have an affiliation with a nearby building with underground parking.
    - Do not leave ANYTHING visible in your car. Either take it to the hotel room or throw it in the trunk (even during the day). It adds a few extra minutes to your stop, but is well worth it.
    - If your car has nice rims, spend $20 for the wheel locks. It can't hurt, plus they'll also prove useful in the States.
    - Use common sense. Spend that extra money to park in a garage if you're visiting a town just for the day rather than wandering off to find some free street parking in a less traveled area. I think the most I spent for parking over the course of my entire trip was in Vienna, at approximately $15 per day. (Not one door ding either, and believe me, the spots are extremely tight.)

I've been following the bimmer.org message boards for several years now, and have yet to see a stolen car post when doing a Euro delivery. Take the precautions and don't sweat it - you'll have a fabulous time!
  • Options
    hippo168hippo168 Member Posts: 115
    My pick will be Topaz Blue ext./black int. That's what I'm planning to go for when I finally get some funding, hopefully in a couple months. : )

Another thing about this combo is there aren't that many topaz blue around, at least in my area, so it will definitely stand out!!
  • Options
    No, there are only two shapphire/grey 325xi marked as sold going to the eastern region One is yours, there is another AWD Step going to Manhatten, but it has HK. CD indash, heated seats and some others.

The good news on yours, then, is that it is now in "112" status, meaning it's only a week from going into production.
  • Options
    Gurumike:
    Thanks for your input. Yes, its the one @DeSimone in NJ; how did you know? But I didnt understand your comment regarding the "high spec Manhattan" etc.... Please elaborate. Did you mean my delivery would be delayed? Please explain.
    Camnellum1: Thanks! yes, i am eagerly awaiting June delivery, if not for anything else, then for 5.9% financing. I dont know when I will get it!
    Thanks
  • Options
    Well, let's just say that if any-one needs to know either where their car is in the system, or if you're looking for a specific car, if it exists, I can find it!

Also, on the 5.9% financing, I assume you already had your dealer "precheck" you, that is to say that they sent your credit app to BMW FS last month, right? If so, they will have "locked" the 5.9% rate for you when your car does come in. If not, well that 5.9% rate is now 6.5%.
  • Options
    sorry gurumike!
    didnt see your post!
    Firstly, how do you know if its in 112 status? cos i looked yesterday and it was still 111!
    Secondly, I have Step/PP/CWP/Xenons/AWD.
    Does having more options delay the process?
    I just did not get the drift of what you were trying to say, so excuse me if I am asking the same question again.
    Eagerly awaiting ur reply!
  • Options
  • Options
    As far as the options go, I don't think my locator shows the package options so I wouldn't worry about not getting the packages (unless you don't remember the dealer confirming them!!).

Yesterday, on the dealer availability sheet, my personal car showed as being in 152 status, but when I did a "centernet" real-time locate, I discovered that it was showing "produced but not shipped". Just double checked and yours is "112" status. And no, the options you order do not affect the time is takes to complete.

In summary, all the guess work on when you'll see your car I did yesterday is, I feel, a very realistic date for you!
  • Options
    denrightdenright Member Posts: 285
    I am buying my 330xi for $1500 over invoice, and am getting floor mats in the bargain. That's the best deal I have heard of, tho it is not an uncommon one. I have yet to hear of anyone doing better. Combined with 5.9% financing, it's a pretty good deal.

The other dealerships I talked to were offering between $1600 and $1800 over invoice. Of the six I talked to, $1500 over was the best, and I have yet to hear of anyone on the board getting a better deal.

I think geographical location matters a lot in this, as people from Michigan have been saying that they can barely get dealers to come down off of MSRP.
  • Options
    Any-one who doesn't "already have it" should check with their respective dealer to see if 5.9 is still available on their car. This was the 3 series special rate for March/April, but I'm not sure that that's still it.

$1500 over with mats certainly is a screaming deal!!
  • Options
    unboringuyunboringuy Member Posts: 90
    Do you know how far ahead of schedule things are? I have ordered a 330xi that was supposed to be a week 23 production. When should I expect to see the car at the dealer in Ohio?
  • Options
    jdkoch2jdkoch2 Member Posts: 1
    I have 2001 325i Silver/blk sp cd.
    I now wish I would have purchased the HK upgrade.
    Can anywone recommend a stereo upgrade in
    the $500 to $700 range???
  • Options
    Thanks Gurumike!
    I feel much better now!
    But it is concerning that "the options" dont show up on your sheet! Why is it me always?!! (Jk)
    well, hopwfully things will go smooth1
    Veekay1
  • Options
    IMHO, HK makes sense if you simply don't want to mess with stock, but if I was getting the car, I'd not get HK (I know, it's standard now in 330) and instead do something aftermarket. Any good stereo shop should, for around $600-$700 be able to supply a decent amp (like a 300W total, 4/3/2 channel) and a good sub, preferably one in a box (how much of the trunk you loose is up to you). I wouldn't even bother changing the speakers up front unless you really want to. They'll run the factory headunit staight into the new amp, use the front channel to run 4 of the front speakers (highs and midrange in each door) and the rear channel will be the sub channel. This will provide a much better system that HK, the only draw back being (subjectivly) the small loss of trunk space for the sub. The amp will have a built in cross-over, so the fronts will only receive higher frequencies (so they'll never disort at any volume) and the sub will deal with the rest.

Now to answer unboringly, I need to know colors (in and out) and a couple of options, that should do it.
  • Options
    ...and I think it's a pretty classy combo. I struggled with the color choice, but I wanted to go with a light color, both for summertime heat (live in DC area, summers are brutally hot and humid) and because I think lighter colors show fewer swirls and stone chips. Hope that helps,
    Lewis
  • Options
    Does anyone know what the 3-series would do if you exceed the rev limit while accelerating. I've only done this once with a Porsche 911, which shut off the power for about 3 sec. I'm guessing the 3-series would do the same, any thoughts? I'd be very surprised if the engine is damaged when you exceed the rev limit while accelerating. See, downshifting into the redline is another story - that would probably blow up the engine. Has anyone actually done either of these two?
  • Options
    midtowneastmidtowneast Member Posts: 49
    Thanks for all the good info, I have a 330xi SP/CW/Steel gray for NJ delivery it is scheduled for Week 22 production could you let me know what its status is Thanks.

Red Seats: I ordered the Tanin Red seats also and the BMW good wanted to reinforce my decision by having a steel gray 330xi with red interior at the NY Car show at Javits. My wife hates the interior but she doesn't have to drive it
  • Options
    Godda@n, I'm getting excited!! Things are moving fast, my sweet 325i, steel blue/grey, PP, CWP, Xenon, CD, is finished!

Sometime between this morning and just now, the status on OC changed. If I'm lucky, and it seems that my luck has been in so far, my 325i'll be on the next ship here and I'll be driving in
    3-4 weeks. Can't wait.
    Lewis
  • Options
    midtown, did you order it in NJ? I don't see a steel grey/ tanin AWD for NJ, only Huntington Station, NY and Scranton, PA.

brave1, at red-line, the computer engine management retards to fuel injection to reduce power and keep it there. Some cars cut the fuel flow at red line resulting in quite sudden decelleration. In the BMW, it feels like you just lifted off the gas a little.

lewparker - your can was made in Germany, right?
  • Options
    just looked for produced cars. There is one in Morristown that fits your specs showing produced but not shipped. Could that be yours ??!!
  • Options
    I like the BMW approach better. That's what happened with the Porsche - I pushed it on second while doing one of my trademark traffic maneuvers and before I knew it, there was a sudden jerk and it was as if I had hit the brakes almost. The power came back 3 sec later but it was a very uncomfortable feeling (my fault regardless) and I'm happy there was no-one immediately on my tail. I've noticed how fast the rpms creep up in the 325i and I like the fact that won't be getting a sudden jerk like in the Porsche in case I get carried away. And getting carried away in this car, as you all know, is easy.
  • Options
    thedeepdarkbluthedeepdarkblu Member Posts: 106
    I checked BMWUSA.com and it only says, "On Order." How are you getting these number status designations (111/112)? How can I find out if perhaps my car is close to production--based on postings, it seems that people are being bumped up on schedules and perhaps getting their cars produced and/or delivered earlier expected. My dealer says that mine is slated for June 1 production and July 4th (or thereabouts)delivery. Can you advise?
  • Options
    tchootchoo Member Posts: 93
    Hi gurumike, I'd like to ask for expertise in locating my order if you don't mind. I ordered a Jet Black 325Ci with steptronic, moonroof, and CD. The dealer is in Natick MA. The sales guy told me its scheduled for Week 22 production. What I'd really like to know is approximately when I should be able to pick it up. He could only give me a early July timeframe. Thanks! tim
  • Options
    I saw your car, it's in 111 status, so still more that 2-3 weeks away from production. My system doesn't tell me the production week, just the status. Yours is the one with black leatherette, right?

deepdarkblu... you can't get the production status code on 'usa.com, BMW figures you don't really need that! "111" basically just means on order where the order has been accepted by BMW AG. "112" is it's status for about a week to ten days before it becomes "150" - scheduled for production. If you give me more info on yours, I don't mind looking for you :)
  • Options
    midtowneastmidtowneast Member Posts: 49
    I got worried there for a second, I checked the owners circle and it shows the car in production and it has a vin number. The original delivery point was the performance center in SC but they could not deliver until July and I needed the June delivery. The dealer was supposed to switch the delivery point yesterday. Thanks
  • Options
    eugiebaangeeugiebaange Member Posts: 4
    I can speak from experience that if you accelerate beyond the redline
    the engine will cut power (not shut off) until you drop your revs.
    Pretty scary if you're not expecting it.
  • Options
    tchootchoo Member Posts: 93
    Thanks for looking it up for me. Yes its the one with the black leatherette. 2-3 weeks away from production is right about Week 22. I guess mine is not going to be ahead of schedule then.