Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see May lease deals!
Options

BMW 3-Series 2005 and earlier

Comments

• Options
    burrsrburrsr Member Posts: 255
    Yes, the ignition is simply retarded, rather than the fuel being cut. This offers a much smoother cut-off (what if you're in the middle of a high-speed curve? Sudden fuel cut-off = likely tail spin due to sudden reduced weight on rear wheels). BMW's approach is smoother and wiser. I believe my old '95 GS-R was one of the fuel-cutoff types, as I recall a noticeable "lurch" forward. I've hit the rev limiter with the Manual mode Step a few times. Again, BMW could have chosen to upshift for the driver (other manumatics do, I believe), but in keeping with the enthusiasts, they chose not to.

None of the above will protect from too low a downshift, however -- just constant throttle within a given gear. If, for example, you try to downshift to 2nd at 80mph, physics and gear ratios win: the engine would have to be spinning at about 8,000rpm (unless the gears become unmeshed or the clutch slips or the engine blows a connecting rod, etc.). The engine control system can't override physics -- just like DSC can only protect so far. Once physics takes over, well, Sir Newton can tell you the rest...
  • Options
    firsthawkfirsthawk Member Posts: 10
    BraveHeart,

I have pushed my old 323is to teh red line and the power just shuts off - I didnt time it - and hence dont know how long it was before I got power back...

In any case in the 3 years I have had i have come to realise (unfortunately :(() that a lot of cars out there will leave me standing still as long as I driver a 323 - but on the other hand I know that I have a muh better ride than they do - it jus pisses off most modified civic guys.

And I just got my new 325ci in yesterday - Silver, blk, sport, premium, everything except for the HK sound system. Felt great but was surprised that the M facia comes only with the 330... ah well - guess I can live with that.
  • Options
    jimbresjimbres Member Posts: 2,025
    In #2599, you mention an order for a steel grey / tanin AWD placed from Huntington Station, NY. That sounds like my car, which I bought from Habberstad BMW on 4/7, except that I ordered a 330i - not an xi. Would you please check again & make sure that the Huntington Station grey / tanin car is indeed a 330i?

Many thanks!
  • Options
    My wife wasn't thrilled to hear that I had ordered the tanin leather interior. When I left the house that morning, I had told her that I would probably choose steel blue / grey leather. But she's come around a bit & now says that the steel grey / tanin combination isn't too shabby. I'm glad for the change of heart, but this will be my car. She has her own ride.
  • Options
    brave1heartbrave1heart Member Posts: 2,698
    Thank you all. The more I get to know my 325i, the more I get to like it (if that was even possible!!). I can't wait to be able to go over 4,500 rpms. I've briefly hit 4,800 2 or 3 times but I think the break-in will be OK. What is the official rev limit on the 325i? The tach seems to be showing 6,000, is that it? Is the power cut at 6,000 rpms promptly? Any margin for error over that before the electronics take over?
    Yeah, there's no protection for rpm junkies downshifting into the redline. But it's great to know that if you hit the redline during straight acceleration you will be fine. I guess it sounds a little like racing cars entering the pits - you know how they hit the button that limits their top speed to 50 mph or whatever in the pits. That's a good approach from BMW.
  • Options
    Sharing knowledge: I had no idea that the auto would let you hit redline in manual mode. Even the auto is very much BMW in the way it gives the driver control over the car. The Altezza that I drove was shifting left and right by itself even in manual mode...
  • Options
    aldubyaaldubya Member Posts: 38
    Feel left out. Didn't get an offer from my salesperson of Erhard BMW @ Bloomfield Hills, MI for a T shirt. I'm going to call him and request same if available. Enjoying your "road driving" experiences in the Boston area. You have the makings of a writer. Keep 'em coming.
  • Options
    erricksonerrickson Member Posts: 130
    I have been trying to avoid joining the barrage of people asking you to verify their order...but I just can't resist any longer!

I was fortunate to order a 325I while in "112" status! Only had a day or two to choose my options. Ordered on April 30. Went to 150 status 2 days later! Chose blk/blk lth/CD/roof/xenon. Ordered in Lafayette, La.

Are you able to find any current info on this vehicle? My salesman is away at a car show all week, otherwise I would ask him. Thanks!

FYI, I came REAL close to ordering from your dealership. Very competitive and helpful. I just couldn't justify the expense in getting it from Cali to Houston, Tex!
  • Options
    Man, I EARNED that T-shirt!! The dealer was trying to make up with me after I had told her squarely that unless she straightens out, I wasn't going to be able to give her an "Excellent" review on everything.
    Hey, what is it - Al or W? What are you, a double agent or something? Get your story straight, buddy :o)
  • Options
    gurumikegurumike Member Posts: 442
    ...got yours mixed up with another. Yours is the rear air-bags/xenons/heated seats, right? It is in "111" so not gonna be finished in the next few weeks.
  • Options
    midtowneastmidtowneast Member Posts: 49
    My wife has a Acura TL-S with black interior to keep her happy. Recently we discussed her learning to drive stick so she can drive the bmw. I told her I would consider teaching her on our old Accord. We'll see what happens when the car gets here.
  • Options
    zmantopzmantop Member Posts: 13
    After saving so many lives, let's see if you can track this one...
    I'm in NJ and my dealer reserved a slot on 3/28 - I actually placed my final order on 4/7 for which dealer used the 3/28 slot by making changes per my specs. Dealer told me that by doing that we saved at least a week and the vehicle should be at the dealership in ~7 weeks. Which means by end of May I should recieve my 330xi.
    I called BMW-NA on 4/10 and they told me that the order was already accepted and my status was 111. Guess what, it's been over a month now and my status is still "On-Order"! Which leads me to believe there's no way I can have my car before the long weekend...
    This week I called BMWNA almost everyday and my dealer on Monday and accoding to both of them my production should've started this week. BMWNA is unsure as to what caused that delay but it may because of that change on 4/7 - but even than it's taking longer than evryone else.
    Please Guru HELP! I can't take this anymore - I'm going crazy. Could you pleeeeeeeeeease let me know what you think the real situation is???

Thx!
    Z-man

PS It's Steel Blue with Black Leather(ette) :o)
  • Options
    aldubyaaldubya Member Posts: 38
    You found me out! Actually, Al is my first name and my last starts with "W". Therefore, "aldubya". Good article in today's Detroit Free Press about RWD cars and U.S. auto makers switching over in new models coming out in 2003. For example, Chrysler will convert its Dodge Intrepid, Chrysler 300M, Concorde, and LHS sedans to the new RWD LX platform. Same for the new GM Cadillac Evoc luxury convertible (in 2003), Caddy Seville, and even a new DeVille may go RWD in 2005. "Electronics are eliminating all the negatives about rear-drive cars". Thought I would share this with all of you out there who are mostly RWD enthusiasts and now appear vindicated.
  • Options
    eugiebaangeeugiebaange Member Posts: 4
    I can speak from experience that if you accelerate beyond the redline
    the engine will cut power (not shut off) until you drop your revs.
    Pretty scary if you're not expecting it.
  • Options
    Boys and girls, the wait can be truly torturous if you are checking the status of your car every day for 7-8 weeks, IMO. Just to put in perspective, remember that there will be periods of your life when things will be so bad, you will have nothing to look forward to and, possibly, no hope either. Having something as exciting as a 3-series coming and being able to afford it while you have hair on your head and not hair growing out of your ears can be a wonderful thing :o) Ahhh, the anticipation. Good things come to those who wait.
  • Options
    Yours in still showing 150 status, it'll likely be finished by the end of next week.

Now, this proceedure does take a few minutes and I am now at work (I wasn't, until an hour ago).

I'd be delighted to keep you all up to date on your vehicles status, but it might be tough now until I get home (7pm PST).

Thanks!
  • Options
    Yep, FWDs are cheaper to make and w/o the proper electronics, the average Camry or Accord driver would be better-off with a FWD. However, a lot of people are beginning to realize that we are asking too much of the front wheels (power, steering, stability) in a FWD car and that there is no substitute for RWD precision handling. There is a misconception with FWD being much better in the snow too. Traction is where the weight of the car is. If a car w/ perfect weight distribution like a Bimmer were a FWD, it would probably have about the same traction in snow but your grandma won't spin the car into the ditch that easily. Now with the advance of traction/stability control systems and all kinds of electronic watchdogs, RWDs are back in vogue. More power to BMW for staying true to performance platforms all these years!!!
  • Options
    Just when I was almost beginning to miss having our pet troll around. This is one post that I'm going to definitely skip reading. Judging by his daily posts, though, it must be taking it a looooong time to dig out the right words in the dictionary. It's a lot of work when you don't know what the hell you're saying :o
  • Options
    Instead of phrasing your RWD remarks as "electronics eliminating all the negatives about RWD", I think a much better statement might be:

Electronics mean that we can make a cheap RWD platform with lousey / low-tech suspension with-out the negatives associated with such systems (like the ones GM recently ditched - Caprice/Fleetwood). Remember - RWD for domestics meant (with a few exceptions like the T-Bird) a solid rear axle (like a pick-up truck), BMW / Mercedes have had no solid axle for nearly 50 years, so poor is the resultant handling characteristic.
  • Options
    From what I've seen, the limiter cuts in around 6,300-6,500rpm. This is certainly not the official figure, as it is subject to my reader error (while trying to hang on!!!), tach error, etc. I don't even know if it corresponds to the official redline or if it allows a hundred or two extra rpm...

Yes, in the Altezza, as well as the TL, CL-S, the automanual is truly more auto than manual, as it will upshift for you...found this out in test-driving as well, and it's not just at the redline...makes me question the logic of having a manual mode at all...
  • Options
    Re #2617: yup, that's my car. Thanks again for the clarification.
  • Options
    I own a '99 TL with Auto/Manual. In Manual mode it cuts off the engine as soon as it hits the red line and does not up-shifts it.
    I don't know about 2002 Type-S though as I never drove that...
    -Z
  • Options
    Is that on a 330 or 325? My 325i's is as at 6,000. I thought it was very low and I was guessing that it could handle at least another 200 or 300. I'll let you know as soon as the break-in is over.
  • Options
    Haaving driven mostly FWD cars for the past 13 years, I can say there is a marked difference between FWD and RWD. In one word: BALANCE. I think Brave1heart hit it on the head pretty well.

All things being equal, which scenario has the better balance: 1) FWD where the fronts provide both steering AND motivation, while the rears jnust trrack, or 2) RWD where the burden is shared: fronts steer only, and rears motivate only. Combine that with 50/50 weight distribution (BMW does that the best), and BALANCE is truly attained!

Maybe this also helps to explain why BMW doesn't recommend rotating tires (can't on SP anyway). The front and back tires probably wear at about the same rate, due to the shared load, equal weight distribution, etc. There is some science behind the magic...
  • Options
    Those rpm's are based on my 330i, but I don't believe there's any redline difference between the two engines, as this requires much more extensive modifications than just larger bore or stroke.. But I could be wrong...
  • Options
    erricksonerrickson Member Posts: 130
    won't bother you with status anymore.
  • Options
    This wait is so stressful that in last 4-5 weeks I've noticed some hair growing out of my ears - and I'm around your age :o)
    Thanks for your words of wisdom though!
  • Options
    Oops -- sorry. Must have been confused with the Altezza's manual program. Double-sorry!
  • Options
    waileawailea Member Posts: 22
    Just finished picking up my 325i from the service dept. 3 days and an extra 10 miles on the car it turns out that it was a defective assembly fan unit (not aux fan)- although I'm not sure what the difference is. They initially put on a new thermostat which didn't solve the problem.

Anyways, it was a small price to pay for the piece of mind I have now. My experience with the service dept. was excellent/top notch. They kept me informed daily as to the status and actually completed the repair 1 day earlier than expected.

This ultimate driving experience is really all encompassing from sales to driving to service. I'm loving it.
  • Options
    Not sure about the tire rotation. It's definitely not the tire size diff, I agree. I'm pretty sure, though, that the rears will wear out faster, as they drive the car and there is a lot more that is required of them in terms of traction. If anyone knows more about BMW's stance on tire rotation, please fill us in.

guru - Can't rationalize with kids, esp. the troll type.
  • Options
    firsthawkfirsthawk Member Posts: 10
    BraveHeart,

I have pushed my old 323is to teh red line and the power just shuts off - I didnt time it - and hence dont know how long it was before I got power back...

In any case in the 3 years I have had i have come to realise (unfortunately :(() that a lot of cars out there will leave me standing still as long as I driver a 323 - but on the other hand I know that I have a muh better ride than they do - it jus pisses off most modified civic guys.

And I just got my new 325ci in yesterday - Silver, blk, sport, premium, everything except for the HK sound system. Felt great but was surprised that the M facia comes only with the 330... ah well - guess I can live with that.
  • Options
    sandeckisandecki Member Posts: 29
    I have ordered a 330i, Jet Black, Sand Leather, Premium, Sport, Xenon, DC from Morristown BMW in NJ. If I go on a web site it tells be it is Orient Blue Metallic (!?!?!?). I have called the dealer and they have faxed to me a confirmation of an order in Jet Black. Questions: Could you please help and confirm what color it really is, Also, is this 330i scheduled for production in Regensburg or SA? and what is my position number?

Sorry for the long post with all these questions, but I have just sold my favorite car and can't wait for my new baby.
  • Options
    sandeckisandecki Member Posts: 29
    I have ordered a 330i, Jet Black, Sand Leather, Premium, Sport, Xenon, CD from Morristown BMW in NJ. If I go on a website it tells be it is Orient Blue Metallic (!?!?!?). I have called the dealer and they have faxed to me a confirmation of an order in Jet Black. Questions: Could you please help and confirm what color it really is, Also, is this 330i scheduled for production in Regensburg or SA? and what is my position number?

Sorry for the long post with all these questions, but I have just sold my favorite car and can't wait for my new baby.
  • Options
    Note that the only model currently assembled in SA is the 325i. You can be sure that your 330i will be built in Germany.
  • Options
    thedeepdarkbluthedeepdarkblu Member Posts: 106
    You are a gentlemen--I see that a number of us are making use of your services. Much appreciated. My production number is 6830437. Purchased from BMW of Arlington, Virginia. It's a 325Ci Steel Gray Metallic/Black Leather w/ SP, Xenon, Moonroof, CD, HK.
  • Options
    unboringuyunboringuy Member Posts: 90
    Mine's a 330xi, PP, AWD SP, CWP, xenons, CD player, black/sand leather. I don't know the production number. Thanks for your help.
  • Options
    tcn2ktcn2k Member Posts: 277
    Finally, my 325i was built in munich on week 15, was on the the ship and was early 2 days, reached port Hueme on 5/9 and is in the processing center as we speak. Does anyone know how long it spends in there? It is suppose to go to Utah, how long does transportation take here? We where expecting it not to be here till late June, but i guess bmw is early in there production and is coming earlier then expected.....

Anyone care to explain what the processing center do?
  • Options
    thedeepdarkbluthedeepdarkblu Member Posts: 106
    It's spelled "EGREGIOUS."
  • Options
    s_siddiqs_siddiq Member Posts: 1
    Hello everyone,

Thinking of buying a new BMW 325i. Any suggestions? What do you guys think as compare to Acura 3.2 TL? Any recommendations where to buy?

Thanks,

Shahid
  • Options
    veekay1veekay1 Member Posts: 180
    gurumike:
    Looks like we stirred up a hornet's nest here as far as status requests go!!
    Well, thanks for your input on my status earlier today. You said it was in 112 status but the BMW website still shows it as "on order"! Is that possible?
    And, why are we even responding to V_tech posts anymore? I thought we agreed we were going to ignore him!
    Veekay1(325xi/sapphire/gray/week22)
  • Options
    denrightdenright Member Posts: 285
    I tend to agree that spending $35K on a car with 184 HP would be slightly disappointing to me. Call me a meathead, but that 200 mark just has some sort of special significance in my mind. This is why I opted to spend an extra $4k and get the 330. The extra 41 ponies will (hopefully) be well worth the extra $80 per month on my monthly payment.

I would honestly urge other meatheads like me, who might be sitting on the fence between the 325 and the 330, to seriously consider that if you get the 330, you'll never have to look at another car and say, "yeah, that's the same as my car, except with 41 extra horses."

All that said, Japanese cars are boring, auto tranny crap. How can ANYONE consider a car to be a performance car with an automatic transmission??? The very notion is communist! If it doesn't come with a manual, it's just a "point and go" car. Period.

Additionally, A Lexus, in particular, is nothing but a Toyota with gold trim. I laugh in scorn and derision.
  • Options
    unboring guy - couldn't find it. Doesn't look like you ordered it in OH, sorry if you already told me, but where did it get ordered?

veekay - STOP PANICING!! "112" is still "on order", it just means that the car is too close to production for the dealer to change its spec (unless they do it with in a day or so of it going 112). So basically, it is on order, but by the end of next week, it should be "150" - sheduled for production.
  • Options
    Contrary to V Tech's earlier post, you don't have to spend $42K on a 330. I am getting a 330xi with PP, CWP, premium sound and in-dash CD for $39,050, including advertising fee and mats.

That's just not that much more than a loaded 325xi, which would cost about $35K.
  • Options
    ..a 330i stick sport package, xenons, CD in-dash only STICKERS at $36535, and remember they all have power memory seats and Harmon Kardon standard!!! Under $35k gets you into a really serious sport sedan!

As far as being a meathead... some people want power, some want quality. A 325i is hardly slow, but the people on this board are probably enthusiasts who generally need the big engine !! (Like mine!)
  • Options
    tcn2ktcn2k Member Posts: 277
    wow, bmw na just emailed me on my car, production date week 15, overheating only occurs on isolated incidents and on cars only with manual trans. So i guess mine is okay. And my week 15 325i has the old steering from his 2 week long research.
  • Options
    Hey, I am paying extra for the HK premium sound system with my 330xi. I didn't know this was standard. Am I being ripped off????
  • Options
    platypusplatypus Member Posts: 192
    If you're up for a Euro Delivery, you can pick up a 330i as I did for $32,985. (SP, MR, CD, Metallic Paint)
  • Options
    From March production, HK and pwr mem seats are standard, no additional charge. You should still get same over invoice / off sticker as you were before, now you'll be spending less than if you priced it with $675 for HK etc
  • Options
    lewparkerlewparker Member Posts: 28
    My bimmer is being built in Germany. The 11th digit of the VIN is F, and I understand that indicates a German build. Also, the model code was 0144, which also indicates a German build, according to my dealer. Any status info would be appreciated. Thanks in advance, and no hurry.
  • Options
    I just looked on BMWUSA.com and I have confirmed gurumike's statement - the HK premium audio system should be standard. I have been over-charged by $575!!

I just left my salesman a message. Here's where being a litigator by profession comes in handy.