Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Mazda3

Comments

• Options
    bluong1bluong1 Member Posts: 1,927
    Ride Comfort
    1. 3 (by far)
    2. PRO
    3. Sentra, Corolla, Civic (don't know Lancer)

Noise Comfort
    1. Corolla
    2. Civic, 3, Sentra
    3. PRO

I'm not so proud of the Civic quality as much as Dinu.
  • Options
    dinu01dinu01 Member Posts: 2,586
    Perhaps I give the Civic too much credit. One thing I know for sure is that I can't stand the Corolla - I thing I got more excited when we bought appliances last weekend than if I was to test drive a Corolla :)

Dinu
  • Options
    simonsez1simonsez1 Member Posts: 9
    I agree with Bruno, the Civic has definitely gone downhill in quality, my cousin has a 2001 with 60k which is about the same as my 2000 Pro, that thing feels so much looser than mine, it's a joke!! as for the Corolla, quality is there but it's not a car for me!! (perhaps at my retirement) the Sentra has potential but it's too cramped for me!! I also agree with odysseus3 about the Ralliart, the front end painfully reminds me of the Sunfire!!, can't wait to test drive the 3 and the Mitsu however, I can bet any money that Car & Driver, Motor Trend, Road & Track or even Edmunds will have a shoot-out very soon pinning most of these cars against each other. I predict the 3 to take honours!!
  • Options
    lavaorange3lavaorange3 Member Posts: 128
    Anybody know what the diameter of the exhaust system on the 3 is? Saw a picture elsewhere of a 3 with an aftermarket kit and a big pipe sticking out the back. Frankly, while the Mazdaspeed exhaust on my PR5 produces a cool sound, I'm sort of looking forward to the refinement of the 3.
  • Options
    I have no idea of the diameter, but it's certainly not big as the MazdaSpeed exhaust for the P5. You can probably judge from this
    picture

What you see is mainly the chrome exhaust garnish, the exhaust itself is the inner black cylinder.
  • Options
    the_big_hthe_big_h Member Posts: 1,583
    the exhaust piping (the actual pipe from cat to muffler, not just the tip) should be somewhere around 2"
  • Options
    petpadpetpad Member Posts: 153
    bluong, (parlez-vous français?) the GT in Canada comes standard with 16" alloys, or 17" alloys if you select the GFX package. I couldn't tell you if 15" rims would fit, I assume you may have xisting 15" rims with winters on, it would depend on the bolt pattern and if the rim clears the brake disk and calipers. You would need to try them at a Mazda dealer. I hope this wont stop you from getting the 3 you really want though!!

Lavaorange3, I just went outside with a measuring tape just for you. It's 3 inches (or about 7.5 cm)in diameter for the 3 GT GFX. I dont know if they are different on GX and GS models.

Got my winter tires on this morning, so I had a total of 7 days ( 6 really) to enjoy my 205-50/17's. Boo hoo, I should live below the snowbelt!

Pet
  • Options
    What I wonder is if a GT-owner (or in a matter of fact US s-trim, or European 2.0L) can mount 15" winter tires on the car and save a couple of $$$. I think the brake calipers is the problem. It seems we are stuck with 16" or bigger tires. No big deal to me, just curious.

I know the bolt pattern and rim offset for the Mazda3.
  • Options
    zaimonzaimon Member Posts: 124
    Thule.com already lists roof-rack components compatible with the Hatch.

ROOF RACK GUIDE.
  • Options
    Got my four winter 205-55/16's, Nokian Hakkapeliitta 1 to be exact.... never heard of those before but that'swhat the dealer recommended and rated them as tops, better than your mainstream Michelin Artic Alpinsor Bridgstone Blizzaks. Will report on that later... also, I saw a hatch 3 beside a sedan 3 this morning while waiting at the dealer, and as much as the Protege 5 was betterlooking than the Protege sedan, I find the sedan 3 better looking than the hatch 3. Well, thre back half anyway, as the front is identical. The sedan back end is so well executed, I dont see why anyone would want the hatch, because there's more cargo space in the sedan anyway!!

Pet
  • Options
    The HB is more versatile.

Try fitting a TV, and 2 bicycles with the sedan's trunk closed...

Dinu
  • Options
  • Options
    gromit45gromit45 Member Posts: 26
    Congrats and welcome, tjr124! Thanks for that feedback about noise level. Glad to hear that. What car did you drive previously? I think whether or not you find the 3 noisy depends somewhat on what you're used to. I'm not expecting anything real quiet, just quieter than my current car (92 Integra).

Beg your pardon, petpad, but the front of the sedan and hatchback are not quite identical. Maybe this is splitting hairs, but the sedan's hood is slightly cleaner, sleeker and IMHO better looking than the hb. Still, I love the versatility of the db as Dinu pointed out and my 3 will be the hb. I believe I read somewhere that the sedan and hb do not share any sheetmetal.

p.s. And I think the Protege sedan is better looking than the P5. :-P
  • Options
    Many of you have probably seen the pictures from Dre <andre0579@hotmail.com>. I just get his OK to host those pics, in the benefice of Edmunds!

http://f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/brunoluong/lst?&.dir=/Album+- - - 02&.src=ph&.begin=97&.view=t
  • Options
    yes, the sedan and hatch Mazda3 don't share - not even a single - body panel. The bulge over the hood of the hatch is much more pronounced, creating a more muscular contours. The sedan is more slick. I wonder if the optical blocks are same?

IMO, they are all look fine. I have collected a bunch of high quality Protegé(5) pictures of the lately (they are now history), and boy, they still do look good. The P5 has an almost perfect proportion and the side pannel look very sporty and solid. The transition between the hood and windshield of the Mazda3 is smoother (European modern style), creating a more integrated overall line, so it does need few more artifact to enhance the line, and Mazda designers do well (may be a little bit over done for the Mz3 hatch, and I'm still debating whereas I should get the sport bumpers, roof spoiler and all). The rear of the Mz3 sedan still bugs me a little bit. I don't mind the short trunk and rear overhang, but there is something not normal with the thick flat trunk flank with the big white round backlights.
  • Options
    New videos!!!

Hemmm, I think they are actually there for quite some time now, accept the first one that wasn't when I check a week ago, pretty cool. Thanks Dinu. If only I can understand a bit of Japanese.

I didn't know they took a bunch of cars in France and Alps mountain for training, it's not very far from where I live. It's must be expensive. I wonder how those japanese students manage to drive on the right size of the road.
  • Options
    What kind of bulb (incandescent or LED) is using for the center rear stop light (upper edge of the trunk, and hight up in the rear windows for the hatch?). Pet, Trevor, Preston, Dianne? Thanks.

From this photo it seems the bulb is not LED. Damn it.
  • Options
    OK got the pics! When I picked my new 3 sedan last Thursday Nov 20, they took a couple pictures because it was their very first Mazda 3 sale and delivery, likely the first one in Ottawa. Not sure if of all Canada!!! but likely not... Anyway, I have two tiny URLs here, and if they dont work for you, you can see the two pics in my album in the mazdaprotege group over at Yahoo. I will also mail them to the club member here who offered to host them.

By the way, apologies on the hatch!! I thought the front were identical, I guess I didn't look that closely. I agree with the TV and the cargo stuff, and that's why we also have a minivan for that sort of stuff... My only real complaint though is that my wife wants to drive the car more than the van... Ha Ha Ciao, here are the links

Pet

http://tinyurl.com/ws9f

and

http://tinyurl.com/ws9g
  • Options
    Nice! The sedan looks big! The same pics on my site is here

For comparison, here is the same color 5-door hatch
    Hatch photos
  • Options
    combustible1combustible1 Member Posts: 264
    ok, here's a new question for all:

I know people were complaining about not being able to turn off this sound whenever they go to change volume, tracks, stations, etc., on the MZ6. To our new owners out there (congrats and thanks for the pictures!), is this the case with the 3 too??
  • Options
    Congrats once again!

The car looks amazing!!!

And it even matches with your jacket :)

Dinu
  • Options
    combustible, I haven't noticed any annoying beeps when using the steering controls, so that sounds to me like a red herring... The 3 is very quiet and I got caught a couple times revving it up in 3rd without realizing I needed to shift up to 4th and 5th.. Overall engine noises and vibrations are very very well insulated. Again, for fear of reapeating myself, this little car is an ammaazing bargain for its class...

I need to see if I can get wheel covers for my winter rims though, cuz the black rims do give the car a more doomed wintery look...

BTW - for the question on the brake light, whether its this or that, sorry I dunno. All I care is that it lihts up when I brake...

Also gromit, you are correct indeed, I spent more time observing the fine details of the hatch snout against the sedan, and they are different. However, I still prefer the sedan in GFX dress.:-)

Pet
  • Options
    Thanks Petpad...three inches sounds like it's got pretty decent flow for factory spec, not to mention the four into two into one "header." I was also curious about the actual pipe from the end of the header...but I'll figure that out when I join you in the owner's circle next week!

Your pics look great... I hope to have Bruno upload mine by next weekend.

Lava.
  • Options
    I get a confirmation from an 5-door owner that the rear light uses incandescent bulb. Of course it will light up when you brake, no doubt. However, the LED stop light does bring some extra safety. From The incandescent bulb is slower to produce light and requires an extra 170 ms up to 300 ms for 0-90% total output. At the hwy speed, that translates into 20 ft, if not more! As the Mazda3 has powerful brake, the rear-end hazard risk is rather high and I prefer to have a LED center stop light (as the P5 does). LED stop-light is not only a cool gadget, it's a real safety equipment.

Read this for more detail
    http://chemistry.beloit.edu/BlueLight/pages/hp/an1155-3.pdf
  • Options
    I hope to have Bruno upload mine by next weekend.

Lava, sure! When the Ti supposes to be delivered?
  • Options
    mazda6smazda6s Member Posts: 1,901
    The LED stoplight would be a great aftermarket product, don't you think?
  • Options
  • Options
    Boat's supposed to dock sometime tomorrow, which is Friday, and supposed to be on the dealer's lot by Monday. Takes a few days to unload the boat and get everything sorted out, especially with the weekend and all...
  • Options
    good to hear.. that would get annoying fast if that was a standard feature like in the 6.
  • Options
    A suburban Chicago dealership (Wilkens in Villa Pk.) had a silver 3i AT with black cloth on the lot.

first hand impressions:

the side profile looks better at a distance, the closer I got to it, the more typically subcompact looking it seemed. Specifically, the trunk area from the side makes it look generic to me, lacking unique character. Plus, that thick bumper drives me a little nuts... talk about your "junk in the trunk"! I quite like the design of the rest of car from the side though.

The back end I liked better in person than I have in pictures. As a whole, the back end comes together pretty well, I thought. The front end didn't thrill me too much, especially because it was sitting next to an RX8, which has so much character. Too plain/generic looking, though fogs and/or the sports grill would probably help.

Interior-wise, the carbon grey-looking seat and door inserts looked good, not so much the pattern of it, but the color coordination looked good. Certainly not obnoxious like so many cloth patterns are.

Looking through the window, the textures on top of the dash didn't bother me. The dash and the doors do have that tinny/thin look about them which I suppose is typical for that class, lacking shapely and comfy looking padding, I guess.

Inside on the showroom there was a titanium grey 3s (sports Pkg.). It looked better to me than the 3i, but I couldn't get close to it as the place was closed today (Happy Thanksgiving all!). Hopefully I can swing back over there soon and get a better look.

Oh, and for anyone in this area, Jacobs Twin in Chicago has a good 12-15 stocked, according to www.autotrader.com.
  • Options
    Got my Ford Partner PIN from work just 2-3 minutes ago!!!

So I'm one step closer to the 3 now :) Guess I'll have to buy it sooner than anticipated (early summer) since I won't be working there in August or September.

Dinu

PS: I'll now go back to work :)
  • Options
    fowler3fowler3 Member Posts: 1,919
    I think what bothers Bruno and Combustible1 about the sedan's rump is the fat, lower part of the bumper. That kind of bothers me, too. The black panel under the bumper facia makes it more pronounced. Several cars have this problem, in particular, the Corolla and the Mitsu Eclipse. Horizontal tail lights free up a lot of sheet metal designers have problems working with; where to make the division. The bumper has to be high enough to meet DOT regulations.

Some views I have seen of the hatchback, the rear window isn't as large as it appears in Mazda's photos, which were shot from below eyelevel and using wideangle lenses. Maybe petpad can tell us if the hatch window is smaller than shown in photos? Bruno test dove a hatch?

fowler3
  • Options
    Petpad, what brand tires did your's come with?
  • Options
    wongpreswongpres Member Posts: 422
    Mazda.ca has added the Mazda3 to the Build & Price section. It's only the first time I've seen the Canadian accessory list myself (I need to tell my dealer which ones I want).

Dinu, the PIN lasts for a year, so even if you leave you can still use the PIN.
  • Options
    shroudshroud Member Posts: 78
    Just got back from a dealership where they had a European GT Sedan in the showroom (mostly so you could get a "flavor" for the car) and a Sport for test drives. Sweet car. Without even driving it (didn't have time and someone else had it out for a ride) I'm pretty much sold on this car.

The dealer principle was very friendly and up front and gave me quite an overview of the technology. We got into the price discussions, and I said "I assume you are selling them for MSRP with no discount due to popularity?"

He said no. He said he doesn't like the haggling thing, so he sets "one price" for his dealership which incorporates some discount off MSRP (obviously not lots of discount on a low margin item like this). Similar to what Access Toyota does, he said.

So we sat down and spec'd out this car (this is what I want to buy)

Titanium GT with Leather, GFX, Auto (don't laugh, wife will be driving it and hates sticks) transmission.

He said they include free wheel locks.

The price he gave me before tax (which we discussed as his "best price"), with freight in, was 25,915.13

I said that's pre-tax, he said yes. I said what's the admin fee? He said no admin fee.

I'm confused.

Not only does that not appear to be a discounted price, it seems to be higher than MSRP from the "build and price" section of the website. I priced it on the web and the total MSRP + freight was 25,508.95. So his quote is not discounted from what I can tell, and is actually ~ 400 bucks higher than MSRP....is that not correct?

Keep thinking I'm missing something here.

Baffled.

I used "carcostcanada" and it gave me MSRP of 25,407.00 Getting different numbers everywhere I go.
  • Options
    wongpreswongpres Member Posts: 422
    There are more fees than what's shown on mazda.ca. Basically, use mazda.ca but add an additional $400 before tax for things like admin fees, air tax, fuel consumption tax, etc. They may say no admin fee, but it's really placed somewhere else (like maybe they'll include an ad fee).

Given your specs, I just did the math and your price of $25,508.95 is around the right ballpark (albeit the MSRP ballpark, but you're not going to get much of a deal right now).
  • Options
    tjr124tjr124 Member Posts: 5
    gromit45, my most recent cars have been a 90 Accord, 99 Cougar, and 2000 Golf. You are absolutely correct in that it is all relative. Someone coming from a $60,000 Lexus might find the 3 unbearable noisy.

combustible1, the control sounds are optional on the 3. They can be switched on and off with the same dial that controls bass, balance, and fade on the sound system.
  • Options
    for the "beeping" clarification.

oh, and did you get the HIDs? I don't remember if you said that or not. If yes, what are your impressions?
  • Options
    "and I said "I assume you are selling them for MSRP with no discount due to popularity?"

He said no. He said he doesn't like the haggling thing, so he sets "one price" for his dealership which incorporates some discount off MSRP (obviously not lots of discount on a low margin item like this). Similar to what Access Toyota does, he said."

If that's the way you phrased your question, you may have given him the opening to charge you MSRP when his regular policy is to normally give some sort of discount.

Given your essential expectation to pay MSRP, he may have decided to quote you MSRP afterall, inspite of what he told you about their regular discounting practice.
  • Options
    odysseus3odysseus3 Member Posts: 19
    I was at the same dealership tonight; I was probably the guy taking the hatch for a spin ;-)

When we got talking about price, they gave me the same information as you. However, the salesperson mentioned that they included: undercoating, paint sealant, fabric/leather protection, rust inhibitor, 3 years of scheduled maintenance, and 3 years of roadside assistance in their price. Something to think about anyway.

The good news is the hatch GT handles the pants off everything else in the class. Bad news is it felt a little anaemic with the automatic (they didn't have a 5-speed). My question is how much difference will the 5-speed make in terms of performance? Forgive my ignorance, I have never driven an auto and don't intend to anytime soon.
  • Options
    vwmonsoonvwmonsoon Member Posts: 16
    I have one question about the sedan. Where is the remote trunk release inside the sedan located? Is it a power switch that is located in the lower dash like in the Mazda6 or a cable linked switch that's on the floor? Thanks!
  • Options
    neomonkeyneomonkey Member Posts: 32
    The trunk release is on the floor (bottom left hand side, under the driver's seat) right in front of the fuel door release.
  • Options
    comeback2morrocomeback2morro Member Posts: 5
    I hate it. Every time I see a mazda 6 Im thinking 'maybe its a mazda 3' (hoping id see someone in a high place driving one).

Bring on January.
  • Options
    shroudatwork1shroudatwork1 Member Posts: 6
    Hi Odysseus

Sounds like the car is a thumbs up. Unfortunately I have to take an automatic so the wife can drive it too :) (plus, keeps my left hand free for the oh-so-critical tim hortons coffee in my travel mug).

Maybe I was confused on the price. He seemed to indicate that the 25,915 did not include the things you listed (ie protection package and maintenance). I got the impression those were extra (300-ish for maintenance, 590 for the protection stuff). IF, however, they are included in the 25,915 - he would have himself a deal and I'd go in to make the purchase!

Jarrett
  • Options
    Hi guys!

Now that some of you are actually buying these, I'm wondering: what sort of anti-theft protection is there? I probably haven't tried hard enough to figure that out from the official site, but when I use "build and price" I don't see it as an option/accessory choice.

I guess my concern is that a sparkly new Mazda 3 GT with Leather is going to look extremely tempting to theives when parked in a shopping mall parking lot :\

Is the only option aftermarket (voids warranty?) or the Club?

Best Regards

Jarrett
  • Options
    tjr124tjr124 Member Posts: 5
    combustible1, I do not have the HIDs. Mine is actually a pretty stripped down model (at least as stripped down as the hatch can be had in the US). It has the moonroof and cd changer package. The only reason it actually has that package is that the dealership tossed it in for free because it was less trouble for them than ordering the exact car I was looking for.
  • Options
    Just read the standard features more carefully. anti-theft is standard. My bad.