Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Mazda3

Comments

• Options
    baggs32baggs32 Member Posts: 3,229
    "“They will stop the Focus SVT production. The 2004 Focus SVT is the last batch”

That’s right! The Mazda 3S is taking its place. Once again, the Mazda3 is a “European car”."

Regarding the cancellation of the SVT Focus:

http://www.detnews.com/2003/autosinsider/0311/23/b02-332341.htm

We're losing the current version but it looks like Ford will offer "special" editions based on the 2.3L Duratec starting in 2005. They also hint at a turbocharged Focus SVT sometime in the future along with a V-10 Mustang (probably the one MT featured a few months ago).

Maybe a turbocharged Mazdaspeed Mazda3 is in our future? :)
  • Options
    bluong1bluong1 Member Posts: 1,927
    Dinu, I'm surprised you could miss the pictures that have been posted here three days ago. I get the permission of the author to host them in my site too.

bluong1 Nov 22, 2003 3:06pm
  • Options
    mazda6smazda6s Member Posts: 1,901
    Canadian Indigo Blue is Strato Blue in the US, right?
  • Options
  • Options
    dinu01dinu01 Member Posts: 2,586
    I missed those pics?

That's strange. Mind you my Mazda3 subscription feature was not activated this morning, so there might be a reason why I missed some posts.

Interesting...

Dinu

Edit: Yeah, I guessed I missed them. Weird! :)
  • Options
    that's unbelievable! You normally had you eyes everywhere... ;-)
  • Options
    bean3422bean3422 Member Posts: 183
    I haven't been on for a few days, and I was backtracking and ran across this link...

Sorry, but this is my soap box (those not interested jump off now)...those studies are a bunch of bunk...

They list a higher percentage in deaths, but they don't account for several things. One, is what is the original number and how long ago was it counted? Are they saying one year before, while the speed limit was 55, the very next year after it was raised to 75 there were more deaths? Also, they give the percentage of more deaths, but of course they never mention how many more cars were on the road.

Theoretical...if there were 10,000 cars on the road in 1995 with 100 deaths, and there were 15,000 cars on the road in 2002 with 150 deaths, then IIHS with their insane study could start yelling that deaths increased by 100%. This is exactly what they do...(and it should be an outrage for any thinking person!)

Fact is, I have read other studies that take into account the increase in traffic and car registrations. Once you include the right statistical information in the study, you suddenly find that the percentage of deaths is actually lower after the speed limit increased. (I don't have time to find links to these, but find articles by Pat Bedard or Brock Yates in Car and Driver over the last 10 years, and you will find information aplenty.)

More cars on the road means more deaths...there ain't no way around that. But, with the increase in safety equipment, and the increase in speed limits, over the last 10 years there are fewer deaths per car on the road. This is a good thing.

Why they insist on making "speed" the Satan in all this is beyond me. I'm sure it makes them money somewhere.

A slow erratic driver doing their makeup, drinking their starbucks, or whatever other distraction you can come up with is much more dangerous that a driver exceeding the speed limit by 15 mph, but their hands are on the wheel, their eyes are on the road, and they are aware of what is going on around them. And frankly, attacking the speed limit is stupid...in snow or heavy rain in darkness, the speed limit is too high. Actually training drivers to know what speed to drive when...now that is something to spend your money on.

I'm jumping off the soapbox now...and looking forward to safely piloting my future Mazda3 at a proper speed (regardless of the speed limit.)
  • Options
    fowler3fowler3 Member Posts: 1,919
    If you will check my profile for my email address
    and send me your's I will email photos to you.

On the speed point: the real dangers on the road are the DWIs or on illegal substances and cell phone users. Especially the first, Driving While Intoxicated.

fowler3
  • Options
    fowler3fowler3 Member Posts: 1,919
    Don't forget, it's 6:00PM PST and 9:00PM EST. Come on Mazda fans lets get a good group tonight. I attended the Subarau chat last Thursday, they had 18 people! Are we going to let Subys get ahead of us?

fowler3
  • Options
    mdaffronmdaffron Member Posts: 4,421
    But we've had the first Mazda3 owner join the Yahoo group I manage. In keeping with the Edmunds Member Agreement, I will not advertise the group here. I will, however, encourage that member to join the Town Hall and this discussion in particular. Stay tuned!

Meade
  • Options
    I have invited that new Mazda3 owner (who lives in Canada, by the way) to come here. Talk about being a good Town Hall citizen, recruiting for Edmunds in my own group!

Meade
  • Options
    weird! ;-)

We'll manage to get him coming over on the limousine and red carpet if he has some photos. Otherwise he has to walk on his own. ;-)
  • Options
    :D

Meade

P.S. He already posted some photos over there. Nyah nyah. Don't worry, I'll get him over here. I know you guys wanna pounce on 'im! He has been advised of his pending instant-celebrity status ...
  • Options
    meinradmeinrad Member Posts: 820
    I think he only posted pictures of a Mazda 3 not his Mazda 3.
  • Options
    Welcome Paul!

Meade
  • Options
    zaimonzaimon Member Posts: 124
    Bean and Fowler. In no way did I mean to suggest that posting that article justified the idea that more power in today's cars and higher speed limites served sole explanations for increased deaths on the roadways. In the whole myriad of possible explanations regarding highway deaths there are A LOT of possible factors. Some other things to consider are:

- The idea that improved safety mechanisms have been developed in conjunction with improved performance, more drivers on the road, more distractions at the wheel (i.e. Cell phones), etc, etc.
    - This SUV phenomenon and the psychology behind driving such a large car.

Dynamics of driving on roadways and highways are far more complex than "speed", though even in true scientific research, rarely can one research article thoroughly and wholly explain the functions of any complex/dynamic concept as is the case with the IIHS study and driving statistics. Funny though, that the IIHS is probably the most influential resource in determining automobile insurance rates.

Ok. Back to Mazda3 chat...
  • Options
    Hi again folks, it's me, petpad, I did post here on Saturday by the way, without causing much ripple... no sweat.

Well, yeah, shame for us who ignore your post. I think you must post in a middle of some hot debate here (weren't we talking about the interior quality?). That's was quite late also, I must be in bed at the time. I notice your post the much later, and also surprise no one give any feedback. Shame on us...

So please give us your review, and pictures when you can!

Oh, and thank you Meade to bring back petpat here!

Bruno

Edit: see your review now, cool!
  • Options
    zaimonzaimon Member Posts: 124
    and congratulations on your new 3! If I'm correct, you're the first official Mazda3 owner on the board (sorry, If I forgot anyone).

How do you find the NVH (Noise, Vibration, Harshness) of the Mazda3 ride if I might ask?
  • Options
    Just doing my duty as a shining example of the epitome of a perfect Town Hall member.

Humble Meadeball
  • Options
    boxfanboxfan Member Posts: 180
    Bluong, the MR2 story you told reminds me of what I've heard about the Chevy Nova (could be a myth, I don't know)--GM tried to sell it in Mexico as the Nova without regard to the fact that in Spanish, "No va" means "It doesn't go."
  • Options
  • Options
    creakid1creakid1 Member Posts: 2,032
    means telling this piece of junk to go? Such as when every time the salesman sold one to a customer.

Believe me, the real p.o.j. is the reliable Suzuki Samurai that does the world's worst handling AND even ride comfort! At least the Yugo GV was based on the cuddly-riding Fiat 128.

Of course, the Mazda3 is reliable enough to compete w/ the Suzuki Samurai, yet advanced enough to ride on a Euro suspension to be the 1st Japanese small car able to compete w/ the Fiat 128? LOL
  • Options
    Automotive News had a story the other day saying Mazda NA will be hitting the media hard with Mazda3 advertising starting Thursday, January 1.

For now, it's our little secret.

:)

Meade
  • Options
    Meade! very very hard to teach us an authentic new news! (bluong1 Nov 10, 2003 7:16am)
  • Options
    creakid1creakid1 Member Posts: 2,032
    "The steering is assisted quite a bit and it "could" be a little stiffer to connect more with the road..."

Let's see, what can we do about this? How about putting down massive big-foot road-contact patches to weigh the steering down? May I suggest 205/65 or 215/60 on 16x7"?
  • Options
    gromit45gromit45 Member Posts: 26
    Man, it's getting hard to keep up with these msgs. :-) Thanks birdman579, bruno, wongpres and I think another for the tire pressure monitoring info.

Congrats, petpad, for being the 1st to drive a 3 home, and thanks for your review. Can't wait to be in a similar bliss. :-) Is yours the sedan or hb?
  • Options
    frommx5tomz3frommx5tomz3 Member Posts: 19
    Like many other potential future owners, I wanted to thank all of the regulars here. I feel that I know as much as you experts do simply because you have been so willing to share. I'm a current Miata driver who is considering parting with the dear baby after 10.5 yrs to get the Mazda3. I hope it impresses when it arrives here in Dallas.

Now a couple of questions:

1) has anyone had any comments on the quality of the leather? Forgive me if I am bringing up an old topic, but I have tried to look for any old posts on this topic to no avail.

2) Any comparisons in acceleration/handling vs. Mazdaspeed Protege from anyone who has driven both?

Thanks for any help...
  • Options
    ashutoshsmashutoshsm Member Posts: 1,007
    Now that owners have started to show up, I'm back on this discussion! 1500 posts since I was last here. I doubt I missed anything ;)

Congrats petpad (sorry - I'm not the first to congratulate you on this board ;) )

And about the electroluminescent gauges and dimming them - if its like the Mazda 6 with Sport pacakge (I don't have it, mine is non-Spor) - then you will have a lever poking into your gauge pod on the left (same shape and size as the odometer reset/cycle button above the odo). Pressing this either dims or powers it off or leaves it on or something. Check out the Mazda 6 threads here or elsewhere and you'll get confirmation and an exact description of that button's purpose. Assuming the 3 has it too :)

Keep us posted, while we drool and wait for shots of an owner's live MZ3 :)
  • Options
    doying5doying5 Member Posts: 83
    There are 2 separate dash dimmer buttons. One above your left knee that rolls for adjustment and then another that is placed just to the left of the center speedometer. The "push" button on the right moves the trip meter and the one on the left brings the dash lights to full bright or dimmed. This upper button actually allows you to dim all the other display lights and leave the dash alone if you like. I played with it for a few minutes after reading the post and found a variety of positions for the lights.

So you should know that if you have your headlights on during the day, the wrong setting on the upper button will make your dash really hard to see.
  • Options
    petpadpetpad Member Posts: 153
    My 3 is a sedan, gromit45. I have a personalized licence plate which says...guess... PETPAD... will have pics posted no later than Thursday a.m. Also, where do we post pics here at Edmunds? I will have some over at Yahoo but let me know where they go around this community.

Pet
  • Options
    tomcat630tomcat630 Member Posts: 854
    "GM tried to sell it in Mexico as the Nova without regard to the fact that in Spanish, "No va" means "It doesn't go." "

Urban Legand above, see www.snopes.com

Latin Americans are not that dumb. Sure, "no va" means "No go", but the single word 'Nova', relating to outer space, exists in the Spanish language. The Chevy Nova was a popular car in Mexico for years and was sold there after the RWD one was dropped in the USA.

This myth is perpetuated by Marketing types as another "Look how bad GM is.." story.
  • Options
    tjr124tjr124 Member Posts: 5
    I picked up a 3 on Saturday as well (hatchback with the 2.3 and 17" wheels), and I was actually surprised at how noisy it wasn't. After reading some some of the comments here as well as a few reviews, I was expecting quite the noisy ride. This just turned out not to be the case in my opinion. For an $18K car that handles as well as this car does, I find it unusually quiet and comfortable ride, a very nice balancing job by Mazda.

Some of the interior materials do feel a bit on the cheap side, especially once you start folding seats and opening things up, but overall it seems to be a very solid little car.
  • Options
    Also, where do we post pics here at Edmunds?

Well, Edmunds doesn't have this feature. So my site
    http://groups.msn.com/BrunoLuong/
    is created more or less to overcome this drawback. There are many pictures from members here, and it's also a place where I gather essential Mazda3 information for the Mazda3 community.

So please send your pictures to my me <brunoluong@yahoo.com>, I'll upload them ASAP.

Thanks,

Bruno
  • Options
    another owner! Congrats Trevor!!!
  • Options
    tjr124tjr124 Member Posts: 5
    I really all of the information you have put together on the Mazda3, it went a long way towards turning a passing curiosity into real interest.
  • Options
    well, I'm not really competent to answer those Q, But until a more appropriate person who show up and reply, I can try to give my humble opinion.

has anyone had any comments on the quality of the leather?

I haven't seen the Mazda3 leather, but I did saw the Mazda6 with leather in the show room. I'm not sure they are the same quality, but the quality is nice, nothing to worry

Any comparisons in acceleration/handling vs. Mazdaspeed Protege from anyone who has driven both?

Again, I haven't drive the MazdaSpeed, but I have read many reviews, from professional drivers as well as owners. My impression is these two cars have completely different characters.

- ProtegéSpeed: suspension very firm, large stabilizer bars. High performance Low profile but harsher tires (Potenza uni directional 215/45R17). Very communicative steering wheel. It will be hard to beat the ProtegéSpeed on the handling department. Until the Mazda3 Speed come out, I doubt the Mazda3 handling can top the ProtegéSpeed. Engines will be also completely different in characters. With the turbo, the low end torque of the MazdaSpeed is larger 160 ft-lb @ 3500 (vs 150 @ 4500). I heard that the turbo lag is really minimal, and the power will come more brutal. The MZR 2.3L will be too civilized in comparison. It will be a much more refine engine that willing to rev. The lighter Mazda3Speed will be faster than the Mazda3 for sure.

Bruno
  • Options
    the MazdaSpeed would kick the YouKnowWhat and other unmentionable parts of the 3 around.

I own a 6i manual, and I've driven a MazdaSpeed. That thing is quite a monster. And the 3 with the 2.3l I4 is not THAT much lighter than my 6, that it'll feel more than a little peppier. It doesn't have a chance.

Of course, the ride in the MSP is TERRIBLE, and you will complain! Until of course, you take a corner hard (thrice the recommended speed for ramps, for example!) or AutoCross it ;)
  • Options
    lavaorange3lavaorange3 Member Posts: 128
    If indeed the Mazdaspeed Mazda3 comes in at 200-230hp as rumored, it's possible all you'll remember about the Mazdaspeed Protege was the hard ride. The future is ours, ladies and gentlemen, and the Mazda3 is just the start!
  • Options
    230 hp only? There is a guy from another board. He said he is involve with MNAO or such. He told that someone else is able to drain 300 hp out of the poor 2.3L block, and they are thinking about using it on I-don't-know-where! Goose bump for me just thinking about it.

If the Speed Mz3 engine goes over 200 hp, then Mazda should put it on an AWD platform.
  • Options
    That was shown (with specs) at the Tokyo (and Deutsch?) Auto Shows had the following specs ...
    1. 280 HP+ turbo'ed I-4
    2. 19" wheels (I think)
    3. AWD
    4. No side mirrors - but cameras and a display on the headsup/nav or something of that sort.

So the block is capable of it (I'm pretty sure it was the 2.3l I-4 block)

Here's looking forward to good times ... cheers! I'm just hoping they make the parts available as a bolt-on upgrade to the 2.3 - have you guys seen how much empty space there is in my engine bay? :-)
  • Options
    Welcome to the board. Please post any questions you might have because we will :)

Dinu
  • Options
    mazda6smazda6s Member Posts: 1,901
    My favorite:
    Yugo - sometimes Yu-go and sometimes you don't.
  • Options
    simonsez1simonsez1 Member Posts: 9
    hey guys!! well like many others here I have been carefully watching the experts go back and forth on this forum and I have learned a bunch on this fabulous new car (and I thank you for that!) I am currently in a Protege and will be getting something new in the months ahead and the 3 is obviously at the top of my list!!! I did see it in person on Saturday and boy does she look good!! anyways i was wondering if anyone here was crossshopping the new Mitsubishi Ralliart sedan, I haven't seen it yet but on paper it seems to be comparable with the 3, granted the interior is probably nowhere close and the outside look might be debatable with many but for driving enjoyment and performance I would think that they would be similar, thoughts would be welcomed.
  • Options
    petpadpetpad Member Posts: 153
    doying5, well you were bang on... I looked for that button and there it was, and those bright orange luminescent lights came down by half to a nice oozing orange glow for night driving, surrounded by a soft blue background.... so beautiful, you'd think you're in a 50K car... since I am putting winters on tomorrow (Nokians 205-55/16) , I went for a ride this evening to catch some off ramps and took likely .8 to .85 G in a turn... those 50 series tires are TIGHT!! I know what 1 G feels like cuz I'm an ex-military pilot and I cant wait till Spring to do it again!! I wont pull that stunt with winters though cuz I may leave the belt behind!

Pet
  • Options
    odysseus3odysseus3 Member Posts: 19
    simonsez1

I too have been looking at both the Ralliart and the 3. I had a chance to drive the Ralliart last week, and I was very impressed. The suspension is firm but not bouncy (very little body roll) and the 2.4L Mivec has got good power and low end torque. They have also added some nice out of the box performance additions, including front and rear sway bars, a 3-piece strut tower brace and a short throw 5-speed swiped directly from the Evo VIII.

As far as appearance goes, the Ralliart looks much better in person than it does in photos; the 3 is still a better looking car. The front end of the Ralliart looks too much like a Sunfire for my tastes. The interior is definitely a step down from the 3, except for the exceptional seats in the Ralliart, which beat the 3's hands down. The Ralliart front buckets were taken from the Japanese spec Evo GTA, and have by far the best bolstering in the class.

I have yet to drive the 3, so I can't compare performance characteristics, but I would definitely give the Ralliart a chance before you make your decision.
  • Options
    regfootballregfootball Member Posts: 2,166
    the mitsus cabin is more airy feeling, the 3 has a very closed feel. Both are spacious.
  • Options
    Pet,

can you confirm the 15" rims won't fit the GT? Thanks.
  • Options
    I don't know about Mitsu. Let's talk specifics and add some rankings. I won't put the domestics on the list for obvious reasons:

Reliability:
    1. PRO/3, Corolla, Civic
    2. Sentra, Lancer (Ralliart)

Quality:
    1. PRO/3, Corolla, Civic
    2. Sentra, Lancer (Ralliart)

Value:
    1. PRO/3, Sentra, Lancer (Ralliart)
    2. Corolla, Civic

Fun to drive:
    1. PRO/3 (haven't driven the Lancer, but based on specs I would put it here)
    2. Sentra
    3. Civic
    4. Corolla

Quality of Interior (I prefer sporty over luxury)
    1. 3,
    2. PRO, Sentra
    3. Corolla, Civic
    4. Lancer (Ralliart)

Styling
    1. 3/PRO, Lancer
    2. The rest are too generic to stand out

Since I haven't driven the Lancer, let's assume it drives and handles as well as the 3 - so let's say "fun to drive" is equal. I would still go with the Mazda based on the quality of PROs, styling, interior, the little touches they put on the 3 both mechanically and cosmetically.

Dinu