Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Mazda3

Comments

• Options
    eteaetea Member Posts: 30
    Is there any chance we can reach the margin mentionned a few weeks ago? Someone mentionned 0.943.

That would be 21385 * 0.943 => 20 170$ for my Mazda3 GT + 1000 * 0,86 => 860 for A/C. Or are dealer going to sell @ cost?

Someone said the only deal he got was 400$ off..

Any tip would be appreciated before I start dealing with the vendor!
  • Options
    bluong1bluong1 Member Posts: 1,927
    Yes, that what I heard too: someone who is able to take $300-400 off from MSRP but hardly more. ;-(

Good luck.
  • Options
    Maybe petpad can tell us if the hatch window is smaller than shown in photos? Bruno test dove a hatch?

That's right. The rear window seems to be narrower than the Protegé5's. Either that or the vision angle gets narrower because the car length is longer. In consequence, the rear mirror is a little smaller accordingly.
  • Options
    My question is how much difference will the 5-speed make in terms of performance?

In general, there is a large difference between AT and MT. We discuss specifically about the Mazda3 AT vs MT not long ago, and my impression is 1.3-1.4 second in 0-60mph in favor fo the MT. The difference is less for the 2.3L engine, and more with the 2.0L because the way the AT-2.0L is geared. I'm convinced that the 2.0L-MT is faster than the 2.3-AT.
  • Options
    petpadpetpad Member Posts: 153
    "Maybe petpad can tell us if the hatch window is smaller than shown in photos? Bruno test dove a hatch?"

Sorry fowler, missed your question... Bluong answered it... I doubt the window is smaller than shown in photo though!! If I think about it, next time I go to the dealer I'll compare the 5 against the 3 for the hatch window width.

I'm depressed today, cuz my wife is driving the 3... price I had to pay to get "the deal" through in the household!

Pet
  • Options
    Does anyone have any picture of a hatch with teinted glass? I'd be surprised to see what it looks like!
  • Options
    we probably have the same source ;)
  • Options
    lavaorange3lavaorange3 Member Posts: 128
    Mazda is also offering $500 off for repeat buyers in the states...so I'm looking at MSRP minus $500.

Lava.
  • Options
    Was that 377 off the Mazda.ca price with the air tax?

Here's what I got from one dealer, regarding additionnal fees: 75$ dealer fee, 100$ air tax, 50$ for RDPRM. There was another 30$ but I can't remember what it was.

I will keep the 377 as a benchmark and see what I can do, but the guy's really kind (no bumper sticker!) and so far, I only got good service.

Just got to finalize financing and I'll be ready to negociate!

Thanks for your replies!
  • Options
    ish2lish2l Member Posts: 19
    Wow, just got quoted $22,000 for a Mazda3 in Kentucky. This one was a 3s AT, sports package, black/blue cloth, rally white....Isn't that a little bit toooooo much, the dealer said this was their first shipment.
    I'll probably have to hold off my purchase for a few months, maybe by the summer they'll come to their senses and sell them for invoice or less. Can't wait though, I have become addicted to reading this board!!
  • Options
    There are few silver hatch in there with dark windows, I wonder if they are tinted or photoshoped or else.

http://f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/brunoluong/lst?&.dir=/Mazda3- - &.src=ph&.begin=61&.view=t
  • Options
    odysseus3odysseus3 Member Posts: 19
    "Roadside assistance if part of the Mazda canada warranty."

That's very interesting, thanks for the information. I'm not too impressed if the dealer was trying to pass it off as a value add; maybe I misunderstood.
  • Options
    tjr124tjr124 Member Posts: 5
    ish2l, depends on the options. If the AT and sports package were the only option with that particular car, then yeah, way too much. Shop around a bit. I live in Kentucky too and picked mine up for a few hundred below MSRP the day after the dealer received them.
  • Options
    shroudshroud Member Posts: 78
    I'm *very excited* to get the car, especially after reading this:

http://www.nationalpost.com/drivers...2B-BA67EF35078A

I ordered:

GT with GFX and Leather, Titanium Grey
    Automatic (for the wife to drive also)
    6 CD Changer, block heater, floor mats and wheel locks, full protection package and 12 oil change package for a total, all-in after tax (7% GST, no provincial tax in Alberta) price of 28,288.00 Canadian (which is ~ 21,783.46 USD using an online currency converter.

Not sure if I really got much of a deal or not(Im bad at math LOL), but I was talking to two dealerships and this is the best I could seem to get. I got them to knock 200 bucks off the CD changer. Felt like a small victory I guess :)

Either way, I'm happy. I think it's a hell of a car and I cannot wait to take delivery!

Best Regards,

Jarrett
  • Options
    From past experiences, US dealers are more likely to "float above and below MSRP at their will, depending on markets, supply and demand and so forth. I am always amazed at the wide range of prices for the same car, with same equipment. Of course dealers try to confuse us all the time by having a myriad of different packages and options and so forth. In Canada, eh, as you know, we are a much more "docile" society, a bit sheepish, known as cheap dicks in some resorts, but having great beer. This being said, Canadian dealers stay much closer to MSRP, and in fact go rarely above. Most dealers have dealt with the "let me talk to the manager" BS and most prices are decent, fair and acceptable. Dealers will drop several hundreds in late-model years and in the Dec-Feb period for clear-out. But for the brand new 3? Not for a while anyway. So that american dealer selling a 3 for 22000 USD, I find that hard to believe as my fully loaded sedan GT GFX (no leather, no auto though, and single CD changer)) was 22445 CND, bang on MSRP. That's in Canadian dollars. I think that dealer may be milking the cow due to the popularity of the new model.

Pet
  • Options
    fowler3fowler3 Member Posts: 1,919
    Roadside Assistance does not cover running out of gas or a flat tire. It's good only for mechanical breakdowns. For other RA you will need to join AAA in the USA, I don't know what it is called in Canada.

fowler3
  • Options
    How can it be considered "popular" considering you bought the first and only 3 he had? Unless dealers are on Edmunds as much as we are. ;)

The best times to buy are December, April and near the end of any month when they are trying to make quota. April because they have spring shipments coming in and want to clear out the models that have been on their lots through the winter. December to get rid of the remaining 2003s.

Don't expect a good deal if you are standing on the dock waiting for the ship to come in. LOL!

When you look them over do not favor any particular model/color, look at all of them equally. Make your offer or deal THEN select a model/color and ask to test drive that particular car. That is the time to pay close attention to how it sounds, how it rides, how it handles, and look for something wrong. Don't fall for the line, "We'll fix it if you buy it." Have it fixed to your satisfaction BEFORE accepting it.

fowler3
  • Options
    Well done Jarrett, you'll love it. Lucky you with no PST...in Ottawa I paid an extra 8% to the new Liberal government...

On your comparison of CND$ vs USD, currency conversion is usually useless because Canadian cars are slightly subsidized, so Americans seemingly pay more for the same car. Example: an Acura TL 2002 sold here MSRP for 38K or so, while in the US it was close to 29-30KUSD. By applying the exchange, a Canadian car at 38K would arguably sell for about 25 to 26K US at the exchange rate at the time. Many americans thought about buying cars in Canada and bring it back to the US but the manufacturers voided the warranties, so this could not be done. Free trade does not exist inthe automotive world!! Anyway I digress... good on you! When are you getting it?

Pet
  • Options
    pet sounds like you got a much better deal than I did, but between 2 dealers they just weren't coming down any farther.
  • Options
    Hopefully in a week or two. They are having major problems getting the cars from Vancouver to the Prairies for some reason.
  • Options
    "notes" about certain shoppers going around, even if they are not owned by the same company, but have the same car franchise. ;)

If you go to Mazda dealer-A and M/D-B and M/D-C, it doesn't take dealer-A long to hear about it. Sometimes they agree on the lowest price they will sell for.

fowler3
  • Options
    regfootballregfootball Member Posts: 2,166
    will report later but I was very impressed. Except it was an automatic. I also tested a Focus SVT and was impressed with that as well. More later. Mazda 3 is an impressive car, aside from the few things I ragged about interior wise previously.
  • Options
    neomonkeyneomonkey Member Posts: 32
    Just wondering, you sound like you're in Calgary. Why did you choose leather over the cloth? Just wondering because I am also debating about the interior as well. Thanks.
  • Options
    I'm in Edmonton actually :)

I went with leather mostly for the "wow, nice" factor. I want something that feels upscale and comfortable. I park in a heated garage, so most of the time the seats will warm up under my butt in a few mins of driving. I realize it's not ideal, but it just looks so sharp :)

Jarrett
  • Options
    I do not feel the leather is a good thing as it does not come with heating seats and in Quebec, that is really an issue (if leather is as cold as I've been told)

I'm actually undecided about if I should get the moonroof or not.

Also, Mazda is listing a floor mats option, but I tought these were standard in Canada?!
  • Options
    Definitely when the car has been outside all day, the leather is cold on the butt for a few minutes. But I test drove a Protege5 with leather the other night that was sitting on the lot all day (covered in snow - had to scrape the windows!) and after a few mins the leather felt very nice and comfy :)
  • Options
    mazdafunmazdafun Member Posts: 2,329
    Overall, they liked it, but they do say it doesn't feel as light as the Protege.

What I don't like is the observed fuel economy: 21mpg! That's quite a bit lower than their last observed economy for the Protege (about 25mpg). Yikes. However, they tend to push their test cars hard, so I'll wait for CR's test results to see what they get out of a 3 hatch or 3s. I tend to get mileage that reflects their figures. However, I have to say I like getting 31mpg from my '99 Pro LX, and don't want to drop to something in the low 20s. I like sporty, but not at that steep a price.

I saw a black 3s AT in person today, but not for long as it was cold and windy. Looked good in person to me. No sign of a hatch version in the lot. However, while the car is taller than the Protege, rear headroom looks to be less. Thus, no 3 sedan for me (which means I'd be looking at the 2.3L's fuel economy...I'm surprised C&D got such a low figure...I don't think the 6i yielded such low fuel economy during their test). The good news: they got 0-60mph in about 7.4s.
  • Options
    Leather is a nice personal touch, and if my car had came with it, I would have paid the extra grand for it. Nevertheless, the sports seats (cloth) in the GT are very firm and nice, so either way everyone wins. Dont know about the standard cloth in GS and GX models though.

Fuel consumption after a little more than a week seems on the high side for a 4, but I will report later on some figures. The 2.3l engine feels quite thirsty, and if fuel consumption is a priority, suggest you consider the 2.o l engine.

On head room, I am 6'1" and my sedan has the moonroof, and I fit in fine. A friend of mine is 6,3 and touched... so my take is that 6'1 or 6'2 is about the limit for moonroof equpped. But the seat is adjustable in height as well, so the best thing is to sit in it yourself and figure it out.

My car came with nice floor mats, but I still need to put winter mats as our *^@#$&^%$#@* winter weather brings slush and salt and grime and MAN I WANT TO MOVE TO FLORIDA!!!!

As far as getting a better deal, I only got MSRP. No more, no less, so if you got a "worse deal", your dealer may be "pumpin'up the jam"

Pet
  • Options
    zaimonzaimon Member Posts: 124
    As I recall, C/D managed to get 21 mpg out of the MZ6s manual, and I thought that figure was quite low for the 6s (EPA suggests 19city/27highway for the 6s).

Might as well go for the roomier, stronger MZ6s if the more fuel-efficient i4 is posting figures like that ;^).

Real world figures would not reflect C/D's findings as they try to squeeze every ounce of performance out of their test models.
  • Options
    jongaujongau Member Posts: 3
    I visited several dealers (Quebec City and Montreal) and finally bought a Mazda3 sedan GS with power package, auto & air.

- To the prices at mazda.ca (the price at the last page that include the 925$ preparation fees) you just have to add the 100$ federal excise tax for air conditioning, GST and provincial sale tax)

- If you buy accessories installed by the dealer (for example block heater) he can charge you what he want for the installation. That's the reason you first ask for the price just for the japan stuff (power package and air are installed in japan so it's ok)

- If the dealer talk about "admin fees" or other [non-permissible content removed], please understand "additionnal money they want from you" (those fees doesnt exists). Just say you will consider only MSRP as a start price for the the discussion. And print the info from the website (most salesman doesnt know we have access to that information)

- Every dealer I visited accept to go for the MSRP, in worst case when they understand you will leave.

- In Montreal, if you visit several dealers you can obtain a better price.

- I finally ask a "car negociation service" (I dont know how you name those in english, in french it's a "courtier automobile"). It's a kind of a buyer-club with pre-negociated prices. The club get a "cut" from the dealers so it's free for thew buyer. It's accessible to everybody.

- I bought the car 377$ less than the price of mazda.ca (435$ if you consider GST and provincial sales tax economy on 377$)

Conclusion: please don't pay more than MRSP

jongau
  • Options
    Yes: 377 off the "Mazda.ca price with the air tax".

The RDPRM (province of quebec) is a computerized public register in which personal
    and real rights on movable property are registered.

For example, you can consult it when buying a used car to be sure the car was fully paid by previous owner.

Mazda canada register the cars they're financing it this registry... but it's a choice of mazda (it's not mandatory by law). In their adds (newspapers) they write (small caracters in the bottom) they will ask you to pay those fees.

I paid for RDPRM but if you pay cash you don't have to pay for RDPRM them... :)

> Just got to finalize financing and I'll be ready to negociate

I suggest you to negociate before asking credit from mazda canada because when on the form... they shoud write the price of the car.

jongau

P.S. I asked for "no bumper sticker" too :)
  • Options
    Roadside assistance if part of the Mazda canada warranty.

jongau
  • Options
    jorismjorism Member Posts: 1
    I will appreciate very much your expert advice on the features of the 2 cars so to make proper decision which one of them to buy. BTW, I face cars with 1.6 engines, but I believe that your suggestions will apply in this case as well.

Thank you very much.
  • Options
    wongpreswongpres Member Posts: 422
    By your flag, I'm assuming you're in Isreal. In which case, I think only Bruno (in France) can really help you because:

- N. America doesn't get a Mazda3 in 1.6l
    - N. America's Corolla is different to your Corolla
  • Options
    regfootballregfootball Member Posts: 2,166
    will report my test drive later....need sleep.....
  • Options
    The Corolla looks ugly compared to the 3. The 3 all the way baby. Sorry, I'm kinfd of druhnk right now but I need some Mz3 before bedtime.
  • Options
    I try to avoid to comment on the look of the car because it's subjective.

I assume you talk about the European Corolla and Mazda3. The Toyota has two advantages: slightly better road noise insulation, and proven reliability. I expect the Mazda3 to be reliable too, but until more data are available, we can't say with certainty. Despite a too long gearing setup, the Toyota 1.6L accelerates slightly quicker because it has a lighter weight. But the brake of the Corolla is very weak, it has a longest braking distance when Autobild (Germany) did the comparo test of 10 C-segment cars. I have driven the Mazda3 1.6L and the new MZR engine is what you could expect for: refined and eager to rev. The suspension, chassis, and steering (pure hydraulic assisted on the 1.6) design of the Mazda3 is the best out there, I was very very impressed. The interior is nice, though some plastic materials and few minor fit and finish details could be better. For me it's clear, if you are solely interested in the car that takes you from A to B, the decision might be hard because the proven reliability of the Toyota, but if you are driver enthusiasm, or simply looking for a car with character and quality, the Mazda3 wins had down. You get the quality of the New Golf V for $2k cheaper.
  • Options
    dinu01dinu01 Member Posts: 2,586
    Hi everyone!

I finally finished this semester at school and as promised I went to Mazda and snapped some pics. It was a cold and rainy day in TO yesterday and it even snowed about 1" overnight.

Before the links:

1. BIG thanks to Jim - I finally got a digicam on Thursday night. Nothing fancy, but it does the job - Minolta DiMAGE E223 2MP + 3xOptical Zoom + 3X Digital Zoom. I'm still learnign how to use all of its features, so the pics are not as good as they could be :)

2. If anyone has any requests of pics, please post and I'll do my best to get them for you.

Enjoy!
    http://f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/dinuone/lst?.dir=/&.src=ph&a- mp;.done=http%3a//f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/&.view=t

Dinu

PS: Hope the link works.
  • Options
    doying5doying5 Member Posts: 83
    You said...Roadside Assistance does not cover running out of gas or a flat tire. It's good only for mechanical breakdowns. For other RA you will need to join AAA in the USA, I don't know what it is called in Canada.

The actual brochure in your service booklet says..."At Mazda, We are committed to your total satisfaction. That is why all models are covered by Mazda's Roadside Assistance Program at no cost to you.
    This unique program is designed to take care of you and your vehicle when the unexpected happens on the road. If your vehicle breaks down, has a flat tire, or if you're locked out, you can call us 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. We'll do everything necessary to get you and your car back on the road. One phone call is all it takes. Now that's peace of mind.
    The Mazda Roadside Assistance Program provides emergency towing, excluding accident related, (to the nearest authorized Mazda dealer), minor mechanical repairs, jumpstarts, changing a flat tire, gas or oil delivery, and lockout assistance should you lock your keys in your car. We can also make necessary arrangements for you, such as rental car and hotel reservations. And we'll call your home or office to advise family members or colleagues of your inconvenience. We'll take care of Just about anything for you."

This is comprehensive coverage!
  • Options
    yes the link works. Thanks!

The indigo blue is nice, I like it. This color and the Titanium are my preferred colors for the sedan, followed closely by the Lava Orange. I rather take the Red, Winning Blue or Black for the Hatch. The Mazda3 yellow doesn't do much to me, contrary to the P5.

Any chance for us (non site-owner) to look at highres pics?
  • Options
    bigdaddycoatsbigdaddycoats Member Posts: 1,058
    I'm waiting???
  • Options
    Hi Pet,

Did you get a protection package or maintenance package in your price?

I got an email from an out of province dealer, after posting my price on some mazda forums, and he says I got a good deal with ~ 600 dollar discount. Im so confused with all the numbers I guess I just have to believe him, since he's a dealer and he isn't trying to sell me anything :)

Also, did you *have* to switch your tires to drive in snow? Would the stock 17 inch tires be bad to drive in winter? Now I'm worried about extra costs.

Jarrett
  • Options
    Hi Jarrett, I had to pay extra for full undercoat and paint sealant, as well as interior scothguard and so forth. So in the end, you probably got a good deal. Your retail price should be clearly written on your contract, so you will know if you got a deal. It's when they start throwing things in to make you feel good that it gets confusing! I had not bought a brand new car since 1986, so I didn't really care about 200 this way or 200 that way, but that's just me. I just wanted it!

On the tires, the 17" all season I got would be acceptable to drive here in moderate snow at moderate speeds, and that would have been it. They are very low profile and it is hard to restrain yourself at the hands of a GFX.. Mind you I have been driving Michelin Pilots 60 series on my Acura for the past 6 winters, and had no problems. However, this time around I also want to protect those beautiful 17" rims from the salt. Not sure if you have salt in Edmonton but here in Ottawa, you'd think the roads will melt they put so much of the God Damn stuff... I want to keep this 3 for a long time, so I figured I would have to replce the 17" sooner if I was to drive them in winter anyway. Since 17" tires are more expensive than 16" winters, I decided to go for it. I wont have to buy any tires now for 3 or 4 years, and my summer rims will love me, and I will be much safer in snow. The more I think about it, the better I feel too!

OK later

Pet
  • Options
    Sounds good Pet. In Alberta I believe they do not use salt, just gravel. I could be wrong though.
  • Options
    Hey Dinu,
    If you have the time, could you take pictures of the GT.GFX. sedan from various angles and of different colors as well. I'm torn b/w a lot fo the colors and would like to see as many pics as possible. I'd visit a dealer here but they are very far away. Thanks.
  • Options
    protege_fanprotege_fan Member Posts: 2,405
    Whereabouts in Alberta? In Calgary, salt is definitely used. Personally, I have a different set of winters for my Protege. The way I see it, if buying and using a good set of winters saves you from just one accident, they've more than paid for themselves.
  • Options
    Congratulations on the new digicam, you will enjoy it I'm sure. I'll check it out on a digicam web site. Your fill-flash works fine, it illuminated
    the cars good.

Dianne's post about Roadside Assistance and correcting my post earlier; I replied to her email on the subject and will do so here as well.

I was quoting a post in Mazda Protegé from last year, when an owner called the 800 number for roadside assistance and inquired about the conditions which they would respond to. The person who answered said they would send assistance for mechanical failure only, not flat tires and out of gas problems, which are not the Mazda's fault.

This contradicts Mazda's Owners Manual. I hope the RA has been updated to include more services since 2001 and 2002. :)

If you think you might need roadside assistance it would be wise to sign up for an alternate program which will put emergency services closer to your driving area(s). It isn't clear where Mazda's program is located and if they can send assistance quickly. They will not be familiar with your location and it could take considerable time.

In the US, AAA is the best and quickly sends local service people to help 24/7. They bring gas and you do not have to pay for it. It's enough to get you to the nearest gas station.

About fuel economy on new Mazdas; as you break-in the car it will improve. By the time you get 1000 miles on the car you should see some gain. To test economy refuel at the same gas station using the same pump, for acuracy. Pumps vary.

Petpad, I'm sorry you went for the paint protection scam. It doesn't do a thing except put money in the dealer's pocket. I did a brochure for a company that sells that stuff to dealers (US$39.95) and they admitted (to me) it does nothing to protect the paint. In fact, it evaporates quickly. :P

fowler3
  • Options
    creakid1creakid1 Member Posts: 2,032
    http://f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/dinuone/vwp?.dir=/Mazda3+Sedan&a- mp;a- mp;a- mp;.dnm=SilverSedanGSRear.jpg&.view=t&.done=http%3a//f2.p- - - g.photos.yahoo.com/ph/dinuone/lst%3f%26.dir=/Mazda3%2bSedan%26.sr- - - c=ph%26.view=t
    Don't the taillights of this $15k Mazda3 make the car belong to the $90k A8/Phaeton family?

Another feature you win, PZEV! ;-)

Sorry dinu01, I didn't mention you 'cause you haven't really decided which model you will be getting.
  • Options
    if Dinu bought the camera just to take some Mazda3 pictures for us? ;-)
  • Options
    creakid1creakid1 Member Posts: 2,032
    Where are those gorgeous exterior/interior pics of the light-green sedan? Did you delete them? I'm most likely gonna end up only drooling over them.