Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Acura Integra

Comments

• pam2pam2 Posts: 185
    Achaing,

I own a 1990 Acura Integra LS 5-speed (116,000 miles), also. I'm the original owner, so I know everything that has been done to the car.

Make sure the timing belt has been changed. It should have been done by at least 80,000 miles.
    I've replaced the CV boots once. My CV joints need to be replaced next. The front axle makes a soft grinding sound when I turn without the clutch pushed in. My mechanic says when the noise gets worse, I'll have to replace them.

My mechanic thinks the clutch and starter may need to be replaced sometime soon, but they are both still working fine, so I haven't done it.

Every so often, the engine doesn't want to turn over. This happens maybe once every 2 or 3 months at the most. When it happens, I turn the car all the way off and they try again. It usually will start after only 2 or 3 tries that way. Could be the starter, but it eventually always starts, so I don't worry about it.

Overall, it has been an excellent car. It has never left me stranded in 9 years. Even when the battery dies, I can just push-start it with no problem.

By the way, what did you pay for your car?

Pam
    Also, be careful with the rear window tint (if it has it). Mine started to bubble up, so I had a tint place replace it. The defroster came off with the old tint and now it doesn't work. The tint place wouldn't do anything about it because they say it's a risk with older cars with original tint. I would have rather had the bubbles than no defroster!

Also, don't drive through a car wash with the antenna up!! I snapped mine in half and had to replace it.

Pam
  • davidaudavidau Posts: 1
    The '99 Integra will be the same as the '98. Honda is going to wait until 2000 to unveil the next Integra (IL designation), which will be at the same time the new Civic appears.
  • achiangachiang Posts: 4
    Hi Pam2,

The timing belt was changed near 80000 miles.
    I checked the CV joints and they don't click
    when I turn (I had a old Colt that did that).
    The car is not tinted, and it is black inside
    and outside. Good thing that it is only 115F
    here. ;) Thanks for the tip on the ripping
    rear defroster.

I bought the car for $5500 from the original
    owner. Good deal?
    Achaing,

Black on black in 115 degree heat??? Sounds like maybe you live in Texas with me! I probably wouldn't have gotten the black for just that reason. Mine is green.

I don't think $5,500 is bad. I know I won't get that for mine, though, because of the higher mileage and the paint. I had $4,000 worth of hail damage in 1992. I had it repaired, but the repair marks are showing through and the paint is fading.

Good that you bought it from the original owner. Did you get maintenance records? I also had to replace the CV boots, so you may get ready for that if it hasn't been done.

Hope you enjoy your new Integra! I know mine has given me almost 9 years of pleasure!!

Pam
  • wgintzwgintz Posts: 22
    rguzman:

I just read your entry about your LS. Sorry to hear about your troubles. I too have had terrible service from a dealership. Fortunately, I have also had great service from another Acura dealership. I agree that warranty work can be hassle with some dealerships and that Acura Customer Service is not great when you complain to them about it. I received some attention when I contacted the Better Business Bureau.
    As for the LS being overrated...
    I understand it's easy to get down on a car that is giving you problems, and it doesn't help if the dealership hassles you besides...
    But, I'd still say overall that the Integra is a great car. Look around for another dealership, get the car fixed, and enjoy the car.

Bill
  • guitarzanguitarzan Posts: 632
    Rear Integra brakes do die really quickly. The pads don't cost much at all. The labor is a killer, so you could try it yourself. With the proper tools, an Integra brake job is quite easy. And I am a CHICKEN when it comes to repairing a car! Don't forget to use caliper lube any time you've worked on the brakes.

Pam I did the same thing, broke the antenna. I replaced the mast antenna with an electric one from Sears for $40 including all parts. I got a great upgrade, and avoided a $150 dealer charge. The only problem was I couldn't find a fuse that was only on when the car is on. So I wired a fuse to the power line, which is not the best choice. Of course, I had a base Integra. The fusebox of a model with electric amenities may have an extra key-activated power slot.
  • john15john15 Posts: 1
    Hi,
    I just bought a '94 GS-R 2-door with 62K miles
    on it and paid $14,500 for it. The car is in superb condition exterior and interior. Its got new tyres and is very well maintained with records of all the service the car has had.
    I was hoping if somebody could tell me if I paid a
    fair price for it. Any response will be highly
    appreciated.
    Thanks.
  • Hey Achiang and Pam,
    glad to hear of someone who bought a high-mile Integra. I'm about to buy a 92 w/ 93k miles for about $7000, although I think I could talk them down -- it's a dealer. It's worth the extra few hundred to me to get it reconditioned, and I'm doing it subject to mechanic approval. I drove it, CV joints are fine, I think it has better-than-stock steel belts on it, black/tan, 5 spd, LS w/ a lot of toys. I just want to know how long I can reasonably expect to own and happily drive this thing?

Have you thought about buying a used vehicle instead of letting your father spend nearly $20,000 on a car for you? That's an awful lot of car for an inexperienced driver. If you had to pay for it yourself, I'm sure you would think again. Plus what about the insurance on a car like that?

What's wrong with this picture: 17 year old inexperienced driver tooling around town in a $20,000 car that daddy bought. 38 year old responsible woman who supports herself driving around in a 9 year old car. I'm sorry if I'm sounding like a witch, but things like this really bug me. I guess it's one of my pet peeves. Even if I was able to make a car payment right now, I CERTAINLY couldn't spend more than $14,000 on a car. So, I'd be looking at a used one. And be happy to have it!!
  • mznmzn Posts: 727
    1438, it sounds like you've done your homework! Have you contacted any dealers in your area? Please, keep us posted on your progress.

carlady/host
    If you own a 1996 Acura Integra GS-R, Edmunds is looking for you! See the details in our Long Term Road Test area!

carlady/host
  • to Pam, in response to your message to 1348:

I am 18 years old and most likely going to be buying an Integra GS-R. I have only 2 years of driving experience, true, but I have no tickets and no accidents on my record. As for insurance, its expensive, but I can afford it. And NO, my parents AREN'T paying for the car, I AM! I have enough money put away to make the down payment, I make enough to pay the monthly bills and insurance costs, and I still have enough to put away, because I have NO EXPENSES. My job pays my college tuition, and being that it is 50 miles away from where I live (though I will be buying a house next year closer, maybe), I need a reliable car that I wouldn't mind driving 2 to 3 hours a day in. The point is that I can afford it and am a safe driver, despite being only 18. I imagine this is true also of 1348.
  • achiangachiang Posts: 4
    Hi natstahl,

Which model Integra are you getting? The price
    sounds good, considering that it has the 14xHP
    engine (the '90-'91 had 13xHP).

I bought mine from an individual. He retained
    the original manuals, sticker-price sheet, etc.
    The CV joint sounded it was ticking very lightly,
    though.

On cartalk.com, several people have Integras
    with over 150,000 miles!

The car is not very fast, but it is fun! Tell us
    what you pay for it and how you like it.

Albert
  • 14381438 Posts: 3
    ... my point exactly. I thank you for your support.
  • 14381438 Posts: 3
    also, even though i am not paying for the car myself, i believe i have been a filial enough of a son to deserve a car. i.e. i have a 4.0 grade point average in school (honors classes0 and am on track to be valedictorian of my school.
    Caligula,

As I said in my "hidden" message to 1438, it's really just a pet peeve of mine that young kids have expensive cars handed to them. If you have the means to buy your own car, then absolutely go for it. And enjoy it - you've earned the right.

I don't see how your situation is like Caligula's. It's just my opinion - for what it's worth - but I just disagree with parents buying expensive cars for their kids. Regardless of grades, etc. I think it builds character and responsibility for a person to buy a car themselves - whatever they can afford. If you personally can afford a $20K car - fine. But if not, then buy what you CAN afford. Maybe something around $7,000 and still get something decent.

Pam
    I saw a 1999 Integra in a cool new color!! It was a bright bluish purple. Looked great!!

Pam
  • Does anyone have info on what the next generation of Integra will look like. I've seen only one or two things. Honda knows how to keep a secret. {;-)

The most persistent rumor is that the Integra name will go away, because Acura wants us all to think "ACURA XYZ" instead of just "Integra". I guess they REALLY like their family name!!

Actually, I don't care what they call it, as long as it stays the best handling FWD car on the road.

Bruce.
  • I have a 95 integra gs-r not only is it good at
    hauling a** it is great for hauling fertilizer too. I recently put 8 bags of compost ( you know
    the big ugly white cubes) which was twice as many
    as my wife could put in her neon even with the passthrough. I could probably haul more stuff in my integra than one could in an explorer or blazer. But of course I cant really go off road but who does in an SUV ( Stupid non Utility Vehicles. I don't understand the fixation here in the US of driving a $35000 vehicle that is based on a $14000 pickup. Did anyone notice the insurance quote difference between the sedan and the 3-door GSR, it sucks . I don't like the way the sedan looks but if I had bought one I would have saved about 300 a year in insurance. That is really silly given that there is no performance diff.
  • dtungdtung Posts: 2
    Hi folks,

I am looking into buying a 89 Integra LS for about $3750. The only thing that is wrong with this car is the fuel gauge - it is non-functional. Does anyone know how much it would cost to fix it? Is there any problems with the 89 Integras I should be aware of? This car has 133K miles on it. Thank you for your help.

Dave
  • ajvdhajvdh Posts: 223
    Make sure the timing belt and water pump maintenance have been done. If you have any doubts, have the belt changed. One of my coworkers had a belt with 45k miles on it break on her '88, and the repairs would have equalled the Bluebook value for the car.

Check for oil leaks at the valve covers, cam seals, crankshaft seals and head gasket (the last one costs over $500 to fix, a look at the shop manual will make it clear why). According to my Honda/Acura mechanic, the first two leaks are pretty common on the first generation Integras, mine happens to have the head leak, so my driveway looks like hell.

Rear brake pads wear out faster than you might think, but if you replace them before they score the rotors, it's very cheap.
    ajdvh, good advice! Thanks for contributing your expertise and experience.

carlady/host
  • dtungdtung Posts: 2
    Hi ajdvh,

Thanks for the advice! I ended up not getting the Integra. The gear box felt overly loose during the second test drive, and I had trouble telling if the gears were engaged at times. I am now looking into newer models of Integras.

Dave
  • momo3momo3 Posts: 1
    This is in response to Edmunds newest comparo test between the A4, G20, and Countour SVT. In response, the Ford is quoted to be the "best handling front wheel drive sedan sold in this country."

Hmmm, I've got a hard time buying that one. I would think the Integra GSR sedan could give the Ford a run for its money. I've got a '97 GSR coupe and if the sedan handles anything near the coupe, Edmunds might want to reconsider.

So how about a comparo between the Contour SVT and the Integra GSR? They're very close in price and Edmunds seemed to be very keen about the power of the Ford. And here's a reminder, the GSR has better 0-60 times (this from a puny 1.8 liter four, vs a V6 in the Ford), shorter braking distance, and a better road handling index (check out each car's numbers at Edmund's) than the Ford.

I would love to see this comparo and perhaps Edmunds might want to reconsider what is the "best handling front wheel drive sedan."

Comments anyone?
    Hmmm, sounds like this should be a discussion in the Sedans conference. :-) Have you tried the search feature on the menu below? You may find just such a topic already in action!

carlady/host
  • Hum...I might have agree with MZN (Carlady/Host). The sedan model of the GS-R adds some lbs. to the curb weight; In addition the overall length of the car is longer all with the same engine/tranny/supension/etc.

It may be worth checking into however, no Ford will ever be the Integra for reliability. If the handling on an Integra Sedan is decimal points less than that of a Contour SVT...I'll take the Acura any day of the week.

Anyways, I have the 1998 GS-R Coupe/Hatchback and love it.
  • Yes, the Ford Contour SVT is a great sedan for Ford and a step in the right direction, but it can never top the Integra in the looks department or customer service and warranty. Here's an interesting thought...if Ford can make 195 hp with a 2.5 liter six, that's great. Acura has already made that much horsepower with only 1.8 liters of displacement.
  • Any tips or stories on buying a car? I've never bought one and I'm trying to prepare myself as well as I can. I'm looking at an Integra Type R, so if anyone has tips about dealerships, I'd really appreciate them!
This discussion has been closed.