Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2011 Hyundai Sonata

Comments

• Options
    meikmeik Member Posts: 63
    Pardon my bad english, first of all.

I picked up my new 2011 Sonata Limited yesterday and put about 220 miles on it right after. But, I felt something weird about Transmission. I don't remember if I felt it during my test drive. I just don't remember.
    When my speed changed from about 35-37 mph to 30 mph, I felt gear shifted down and RPM went up by about 200-300 and it felt like I was engine-braking. Also when I kept my speed at 30 mph, RPM stayed around 1700-1800. I am a 36-year-old guy who have never had a "new" car in my life. So I am not sure if I need to go back to my dealer.

Has any 2011 Sonata owner noticed it? or is it just me?
  • Options
    midas69midas69 Member Posts: 118
    The limited with NAV will do all those tricks. Well, i haven't tried giving it a direct address yet, but I think I read that it does. I've done POI searches and address book searches via voice. Only had the car 4 days.
  • Options
    jsmit86jsmit86 Member Posts: 116
    Cool - :D

Confirm that you can also do radio station entry?
  • Options
    Confirm that you can also do radio station entry?

I know you can direct for XM and I know you can do direct to AM/FM presets. But don't know if you can do direct by station number on AM/FM.
  • Options
    napsfannapsfan Member Posts: 23
    Just got my Sonata Limited yesterday and I can see there are a couple features for us techno-geek music lovers that are just great. One is the iPod/USB port -- I don't have an iPod and don't intend to buy one, since I use my Blackberry as my MP3 player. But I can plug in a USB thumb-drive with all my folders of music from my PC and it works great! You can scroll through all the folders and songs from the steering wheel controls and see the songs and folders on the dash display. And the sound is very clear and crisp on the Dimension audio system. Very nice.

Also, I can automatically play my Blackberry music (whether MP3 stored songs or streaming music from Slacker) through the Bluetooth connection, with no cables or anything. Again, music is crisp on the MP3 songs, although I do have to turn up the volume quite far. But then it sounds just fine. (no display of song titles with this mode, just generic streaming music). The Slacker sounds not as good, since that is down-sampled for over-the-air delivery, but that's not an issue with the Sonata or the Bluetooth. But still not bad.

Great job, Hyundai. Love those features!
  • Options
    backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Your Sonata has a 6-speed AT. What you probably felt was the car down-shifting. At 35-37 you were probably in 4th gear, maybe 5th. At 30, the engine would lug in the higher gear so it down-shifted. Next time that happens, try accelerating back to 35-37 (if safe to do so) and see if the transmission up-shifts, and the revs drop.

Also, modern automatics "learn" how to shift based on how you drive. If you have a heavy foot, the transmission will learn to shift quicker than if you have a light foot on the gas.
  • Options
    Thanks, backy.

Yes, I tried that yesterday, and RPM dropped down when my speed was back at 37. Of course from 30 to 37, RPM went up a little again, then down when at around 37. I will take your reply as my car is normal.

So, it learns based on my driving habit. Good to know. I will see how it acts differently few month later.
  • Options
    bobadbobad Member Posts: 1,587
    Computerized transmissions that are designed for maximum fuel efficiency have little "behaviors" that are different from older types. You may notice subtle things that go on when you let off the accelerator, depending on the speed, temperature, and the way you "trained" the fuzzy logic. As long as the transmission is smooth and quiet, chances are it's just doing its thing.
  • Options
    I had 93 Accord that died about a week ago. And my wife is driving 95 Altima. Yes, it was a big jump from 1993 to 2011, and there are too many new things that I have wanted to have and I don't know about. I will take another drive today.

Thanks for your post, bobad.

One of my friends recommended me to do underbody coating on my new car. Do new car owners normally get this job done on their new car? I am living in WI and am just curious.
  • Options
    pcgeek86pcgeek86 Member Posts: 72
    I have an issue with my transmission, where under harder acceleration, the car "lurches" (for lack of better term), when shifting from 1st to 2nd gear. I don't think I've noticed this in "D" mode, but if I'm manually shifting the car, it's easy to reproduce.

Anyone else felt this behavior?

-Trevor
  • Options
    Underbody coatings are very expensive and probably not worth the money. I think the combined cost (for exterior and interior) from my dealership to do this, was around $1,100.
  • Options
    mikemartinmikemartin Member Posts: 205
    Underbody coatings are very expensive and probably not worth the money. I think the combined cost (for exterior and interior) from my dealership to do this, was around $1,100.

I agree with what you said.

In fact, I would go one step further; Many aftermarket undercoating services actually HASTEN oxidation and other metallurgical problems, and Consumer Reports actually found that those who had their cars rustproofed actually defeated the very systems automakers have baked into their steel and paint to inhibit rust, as cutting through the enamel, paint and metal to apply the "rustproofing" defeated clear coat, paint and metal systems (modern car metal has zinc phosphate electronically bonded to it to inhibit rust) engineered by automakers to fight rust.
  • Options
    syitalian25syitalian25 Member Posts: 303
    What do you mean by "lurch"? Explain when it happens and I will try to reproduce it.
  • Options
    dilt1dilt1 Member Posts: 11
    For those with the new Sonata - just wondering what RPM's you're seeing at highway speeds and descriptive info on the "quietness" of the Sonata at highway speed. Thanks much.
  • Options
    For those with the new Sonata - just wondering what RPM's you're seeing at highway speeds and descriptive info on the "quietness" of the Sonata at highway speed. Thanks much.

For me, 1800 RPM @ 65 MPH

Can't comment much on the noise. Not as quiet as the Camry was, but still relatively quiet. Most of the noise comes from the tires, not wind noise. The tires are designed to deliver good MPG and that's the price you pay.
  • Options
    m6userm6user Member Posts: 3,181
    Are you hearing a fair amount of tire noise without any sound system noise or even with the volume up?
  • Options
    To reproduce:

1. Start from stopped position
    2. Put car in 1st gear manually
    3. Place gas pedal to floor
    4. Shift to 2nd gear at around 5500 RPMs

It feels like the transmission is "catching" and holds the car back for a second, before shifting and continuing acceleration.

-Trevor
  • Options
    I might be a fuddy-duddy, but I wouldn't do this on ANY car (full throttle start, run to 5500 rpms in 1st gear) until the engine is broken in. Actually, I can't conceive of a real-world situation in which I'd do this, except maybe on a drag strip. Which I don't find myself on very often. ;)
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    1. The manual for the car suggest no break-in period (I did take it easy for the first 600 miles as it also suggests)
    2. I have ~1100 miles on my car already
    3. You don't really have to floor it, or hit 5500 RPMs to replicate the issue, but I think it's probably the easiest way to describe it on a forum.

I don't disagree with what you're saying, but I think that by now I should be ok.

My take on it is that as long as I'm not red-lining the engine, I'm operating the vehicle within its specifications. The reason I've usually got the engine in the upper RPM range, is because that's where it generates the most power (at least it feels that way).

-Trevor
  • Options
    Yes, but you were advising other people what they needed to do to replicate what you found. You didn't know if they already had 1100 miles on their cars, or not.
  • Options
    Trevor, I have only 300 miles on mine so I would not to it at this moment. Maybe after putting more than 700 or more miles on mine something like backy said. (and I have learned that my transmission would learn my driving habit. ;) )

I tried to find your ipod issue (I have ipod touch 3g 32 GB and got an ipod cable from my dealer) on mine, but I didn't find anything wrong with my sound. (Lucky me. :) )

I still don't like the feeling of my transmission at between 30 and 37, though....
  • Options
    mprice78mprice78 Member Posts: 2
    My wife and I have finally decided to purchase a 2011 Hyundai Sonata Limited. Our local dealer gave us an informal quote of $25,500, but a dealer just 25 minutes away is offering $24,000 for the same car. I provided the local dealer with the quote I was given, plus the internet quote from nearby Fitzmall of $24,100. The local dealer said they probably couldn't match that because they offer free oil changes, tire rotations, and car washes for life.

Obviously there is a real monetary value to receiving free oil changes and tire rotations, so my question to everyone is; How much do you feel lifetime oil changes and tire rotations are worth? My gut feeling is $400 is about right, which is confirmed by the "value" pricing at Fitzmall of $24,480. I just want to have an idea for when we begin to seiously negotiate tonight.
  • Options
    dilt1dilt1 Member Posts: 11
    edited March 2010
    Thanks for the reply -

Wondering if anyone has seen anything yet on color matched body side moldings...those doors with a high waistline provide a big target for those who don't care when parking next to you! If they already are there, my old eyes aren't seeing them!

Also wondering......might posters with some inside knowledge and/or contact know if the upcoming turbo versions will see manual transmissions available with all the trim lines?

Thanks again........
  • Options
    Good point, I didn't think of that.
  • Options
    Depends on how many miles you put on a car, whether you qualify for "severe service" intervals (and does the dealer respect those on their free offer), and how long you plan on keeping the car. It could be worth a lot more than $400, or could be worth less.

Find out what an oil change and tire rotation costs at your dealer (or whereever you plan on having it serviced), and use the factors above to do the math.
  • Options
    shabadoo25shabadoo25 Member Posts: 232
    Well, my dealer had a big Sonata launch party this weekend that only netted about 8 models sold as of 2pm Sunday. They were all GLS models or basic LTDs. The LTDs with nav they had on Friday are still there.

Meanwhile, some black LTDs with black interiors are finally starting to show up on dealer lots. Hopefully, mine will arrive this week. Supposedly, it was held up by the door latch issue.
  • Options
    With my Toyota, the dealer was always sending me coupons for oil change and rotation for $40. So if you do that every 5000 miles and keep the car for 50,000 miles you'd come out to about $400. Unfortunately for me, the dealer I bought my car from is not the closest to my house. It's actually about 40 minutes away. I don't think I want to go there just for oil changes etc. I know I won't be going there for the free car washes either.

A few factors though. The price of oil changes and labor could go up dramatically in the next few years. If that happens, it would be nice to be locked in.

You have no guarantee that the dealer will stay in business any time past next week.

You have no guarantees that you won't decide to move a year from now.

Personally, I'd take the money upfront.
  • Options
    andyfromvaandyfromva Member Posts: 79
    I tried to buy a Harbor Grey Metallic GLS today (with option package 2 (power seats, etc.) at Fairfax Hyundai but was told that the only GLS's available in my area (Washington DC) were the Venetian Red (nice but I already have a red Honda Civic), Radiant Silver (the color of my Toyota I'm trading in - I don't want another silver), Pearl White (prone to get dirty), and Camel Pearl (beige doesn't do anything for me).

So at this point I'm waiting for them to find a GLS in Harbor Grey Metallic but I said I'd accept one in Pacific Blue Pearl or Phantom Black Metallic.
  • Options
    A large car dealership is usually classified as one that sells more than 750 cars a year. Most Hyundai dealers would not qualify as large. So selling 8 cars of a single model on a weekend would be considered damn good. If they did that every weekend they'd 400 Sonatas alone per year. And that's if they only sold them on weekends.

I'd say 8 sales is huge.
  • Options
    It's not bad, just less than for what they hoped. They have a lot of 2011s in stock and they want to strike while hot. They also still have 50 2010s they need to move.
  • Options
    midas69-
    You mentioned that you get a fair amount of tire noise. Do you hear this above the sound system on the freeway? Do you have to turn it up fairly loud to drown out the tire noise?
  • Options
    You mentioned that you get a fair amount of tire noise. Do you hear this above the sound system on the freeway? Do you have to turn it up fairly loud to drown out the tire noise?

I only had it on the freeway once, and only for about 10 miles. The noise wasn't excessive, just louder than the Camry. I also lowered my tire pressure yesteray. They had it cranked up to about 38psi, so that will help too.

I don't think it's that bad. But my buddies that still work at Goodyear tell me that these tires designed for low rolling resistance are going to make more noise than conventional tires.
  • Options
    shuale_ejsshuale_ejs Member Posts: 115
    I understand your frustration. What's even more frustrating is the hyundai site allows you to choose color coordinations that are not available for purchase/order.

I still don't have my LTD w/nav in Silver w/black interior.
  • Options
    Try and be patient. Most of what has rolled out w/nav so far has been white/black, black/grey, silver/grey and pacific blue/grey.

They are getting more combinations out everyday and soon it won't be an issue like it is now.
  • Options
    2011limited2011limited Member Posts: 30
    Are those prices 'out the door'... Do they have deal-prep and freight in them?

Thanks
  • Options
    Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    A reporter is looking to speak to consumers interested in purchasing the new 2011 Hyundai Sonata. Please send your daytime phone number and the car you purchased to ctalati@edmunds.com by Thursday, March 11, 2010.
  • Options
    wrs4wrs4 Member Posts: 17
    Does any one know how many Sonatas are produced in a day in AL.?
  • Options
    napsfannapsfan Member Posts: 23
    Yes for the Fitzmall price (Limiteds for $24,094). Includes freight. I saw that online and was willing to drive 6 hours to pick one up, but my local dealer was willing to match the price exactly. That's $2,000 under MSRP of $26,150 so that seemed like a decent deal to me, on a brand new model (and at or slightly under the so-called dealer invoice that's on the internet, although obviously the dealer is not paying that full invoice price).

My local dealer also mentioned -- Lots of 2010s on hand with deep discounts and good local deals, but he still can't generate any interest in them.
  • Options
    LASHAWNLASHAWN Member Posts: 303
    Your're correct, patience is a virtue. I'm personally waiting until around October before I pull the plug and trade in my 06 Sonata LX for a Harbour Gray/Black LTD with Nav. It will be the perfect birthday gift to myself.
  • Options
    There was an ad yesterday for the largest Hyundai dealer in the Twin Cities (Walser) claiming they have 70 new Sonatas coming in this month. So it looks like shipments are ramping up.
  • Options
    They are. My dealer got the majority of their 2nd allotment of 60 Sonatas in last week--just not mine. :cry:
  • Options

Just wanted to follow up on this. I have a small stretch of road that I can get up to about 55 on. It's not interstate quality pavement, but it's not much worse. I was able to eliminate all road noise with the radio on XM and the volume at 8. 35 is maximum. So I wouldn't really say that's very loud. At 6 the noise was evident. At 7 you'd have to really paying attention to hear anything. At 8 it's gone completely.

Hope this helps.
  • Options
    tedericktederick Member Posts: 1
    I'm sorry andy, I bought a harbor gray SE yesterday. I love the color, it looks great on the SE. Maybe they have another one. I drove down from Nj to get this. The price points for the Se and the GLS with your options can't be that much.
  • Options
    syitalian25syitalian25 Member Posts: 303
    Well I have 2160 on mine already so I will try this tomorrow and report back.
  • Options
    Yes, thank you. I live in an area where getting to an expressway during a test drive is difficult and it's very hard to replicate that road/tire noise at 60-65 mph driving local streets. Your comments are helpful.
  • Options
    raydahsraydahs Member Posts: 449
    It's been a long time posting here for me, but this little car is worth talking about!
    I was a my local dealer checking it out in person...wow very nice job Hyundai.
    Thanks Trevor for providing all the videos for us.

One of the first things I do, is look where the oil filter is....has anyone looked? They created a formed cutout in the splash pan to access the filter...good job Hyundai! Hey Trevor get your camera out, it's about 2 feet back in the middle.

We will be getting one soon, the inventory needs to increase first. My heart says Limited, but after driving the GLS..dunno pretty good package there as well.
  • Options
    I'm sorry andy, I bought a harbor gray SE yesterday. I love the color, it looks great on the SE. Maybe they have another one. I drove down from Nj to get this. The price points for the Se and the GLS with your options can't be that much.

My dealer said that I could get an SE in Harbor Grey, but I want a GLS. Enjoy your car. I agree, the color is very nice.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Try and be patient. Most of what has rolled out w/nav so far has been white/black, black/grey, silver/grey and pacific blue/grey.

I'd gladly take a black/grey or a pacific blue/grey if my dealer could come up with a GLS with those colors.
  • Options
    Thanks! I'm curious to hear your results.

-Trevor
  • Options
    redhat381redhat381 Member Posts: 26
    http://blog.al.com/businessnews/2010/03/hyundais_alabama_production_ju.html

Article says 14,628 Sonatas were built in February.