Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2011 Hyundai Sonata

Comments

• mikemartinmikemartin Member Posts: 205
    edited March 2010
    I haven't driven yet, so can't agree or disagree, but thought it's at least interesting that MotorTrend though the SE had a "bumpy ride," and that the 2011 has worse noise-vibration-harshness control than the preceding year.

"Out in the real-world, the Sonata's SE trim level makes its firmer suspension calibration known on the road, prompting some staffers to criticize its bumpy ride on rougher surfaces.

"...some staffers felt that the last-generation Sonata perhaps had an upper hand on NVH levels."

Read more: http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/sedans/112_1002_2011_hyundai_sonata_se_test/- - performance.html#ixzz0gtoG0FNV
  • chronochrono Member Posts: 149
    Hey Mike, are you just a Sonata hater? Because everything you post is negative toward the car. Of course the SE is firm. It's riding on 18 inch wheels!
  • syitalian25syitalian25 Member Posts: 303
    edited March 2010
    Swingman - I read the manual cover to cover and there is nothing about breaking it in. I am not sure if this means you don't really have to break it in at all, so I have been following general guidelines for a little while.

mikemartin - I have the SE and they are right that the ride is a bit more stiff than the GLS or Limited, but it's not a bad thing really. The car has low profile 18'' tires and a stiffer suspension, giving you more contact with the road more of the time. It is still quiet inside the cabin and potholes/bumps are absorbed nicely, although maybe just slightly less than the non-sport models. A small price to pay for the extra handling power and road control if you ask me.

On that note, I am finally up to about 1250 miles thanks to my ridiculous amount of driving so I got to open it up a bit - trust me the SE is worth the extra money!!! I was going around twisty roads and could not believe how fast I was going without even pushing it.

zornundo - I don't think anyone is planning to drag race a Mustang in their new Sonata but 0-60 is an indication of the power that the car has. I don't think anyone has measured times like 30-60 or 40-70 yet, although those numbers would be nice to know too. And it really depends on how you drive, some people (like myself) do use the full power range from time to time and at least like to know it is there when needed. It's not a sports car, but trust me this car definitely has some power and the SE does not mind being driven fast.
  • pcgeek86pcgeek86 Member Posts: 72
    With the technology available to us in today's world, I can't imagine that it would cost very much to add remote start functionality to a vehicle. I have little doubt that you are correct about remote start not being standard on many luxury vehicles, but ... why? Why should an inexpensive, and theoretically easy-to-implement feature not be available on a value priced midsize family sedan? The Sonata's got tons of other nice features like iPod integration, bluetooth, XM & HD radio, front & rear heated seats, push-button starting, tire pressure monitoring system (TPMS), and so on. Why would it be so hard to add remote starting to that?

I'm not disagreeing with you about the current state of things, but I'm suggesting that it (remote starting) could be easily added to the Sonata, and wouldn't even have to affect the price all that much, really. I mean, come on, how much should it really cost to have a little transmitter talk to a little receiver, that signals the car to start?

Cheers,
    Trevor
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    I think remote start is fairly easy to get on GM models, although probably not standard in this class e.g. Malibu. You might look at those if that feature is important to you.
    Well if you buy an aftermarket remote starter from the dealer they usually run several hundred dollars - of course some of this is labor but the manufacturing costs of the car is calculated out to the dollar, I'm sure. As someone said before, power seats are only $70 and they decided not to include it in the passenger seat because it was too expensive.

Also, the smart key/push button start system is shared with other Hyundai models like the Genesis Coupe and others as well, if they added remote start to only one model they would have to redesign the entire keyfob to add the button, which would probably expensive in and of itself.
  • fragilemnfragilemn Member Posts: 16
    Hi guys,
    Of all of you who have purchased any trim level of the 2011, what have you experienced for real world mileage so far? Has you in-town driving given you over 22mpg? Just curious!
  • bobadbobad Member Posts: 1,587
    Agree 100%. You could have a remote start button right on your key fob for practically no cost to the manufacturer.

The reason remote start isn't standard probably has to do with fuel efficiency. The manufacturers are under great pressure from the "green" government. That's why you can't get a V6, and why the manufacturers use water thin (5W-20) oil..
    I'm at around 26 MPG right now, but that includes a little bit of highway driving. I also tend to drive in a manner that is not the most economic either, so I'm probably not a good gauge. I would surmise that an average driver might get around 24-26 MPG doing in-town driving, assuming the car indicates economy mode most of the time.

Cheers,
    -Trevor
  • osaka75osaka75 Member Posts: 88
    Visited the dealer yesterday. Several 2011 Sonatas on the lot. Some impressions:

Loved the new exterior shape of the car. Liked the colors on the lot. Through the window, all three interiors looked very nice. Sat in a Limited and liked the entire cabin. Like the center console very much. Would have liked to see a coin box on the left under the dash like on the ’06.

Only disappointment in the interior on the LTD was the steering wheel. I absolutely love the leather wrapped wheel on my ’06 GLS (first one I’ve ever had). On the 2011 LTD the leather also felt great. However, only about 50% is leather. It’s rubber from about the 2:30 to 5 o’clock positions as well as 7 o’clock to 9:30 positions. A comfortable grip had my hands half on the leather portion and half on the rubber. That bothered me a bit but I’m sure I can get over it if I upgrade to the new Sonata. However, one reason people move up to the LTD is for the luxury amenities it offers, like leather seats and wheel. Just doesn’t make sense to me to not wrap it all the way around.

The drive was very nice but idle and acceleration were significantly louder than my V6. However, it’s not fair to compare the two engine types. And it wasn’t something I felt would bother me for more than a short time while getting used to a new car. Power was quite adequate so I’d have no qualms moving from my current 235 hp to this engine.

I already thought that the previous generation was just as good as the main competitors in this class. I’m sure the new Sonata will grab even more market share.

Interesting to note, for all three 2011 trims, the dealership sticker added $995 for “appearance package” which the salesperson confirmed only included front/back mud guards and wheel locks. There was also an additional $1,495 “Adjusted Market Value” charge for all three. $2,500 seems like a lot to add on to MSRP when considering some of the deals others in this forum have reported. Of course, the asking price is just a starting point.
  • roadie22roadie22 Member Posts: 6
    Does anyone know if you can get regualr tires (not low profile) on the SE?

Thanks
  • mikemartinmikemartin Member Posts: 205
    I'm not a "Sonata hater," chrono.

I've already admitted I am considering a Sonata for my next car, as I get the supplier discount on Hyundai vehicles.

However, don't you think it's noteworthy when publications like Motor Trend and others have remarked that the Noise, Vibration and Harshness of the NEW 2011 Sonata may not be as good as that of the 2010 model?

If anyone with a 2011 model who has driven it a fair amount, and who had exposure to the 2009 or 201o version would like to comment based on personal experience, I'd most welcome any feedback.
    edited March 2010
    I think everyone is in agreement that the DI engine is louder then the outgoing engine. I'm looking forward to a test drive soon. I can't imagine it's louder then the 2006 Accord I used to have.

Also if your looking for more comfort you should go with the GLS. It has the thickest at 205/65-16 tires. Go with the limited and the side walls get thinner 215/55-17. And the SE is the thinnest at 225/45-18.
  • m6userm6user Member Posts: 3,181
    edited March 2010
    there was also an additional $1,495 “Adjusted Market Value” charge for all three. $2,500 seems like a lot to add on to MSRP when considering some of the deals others in this forum have reported. Of course, the asking price is just a starting point.

Pretty ridiculous. What city/state was this?
  • jayriderjayrider Member Posts: 3,602
    It is important to remember that this is the first run on a total remake on the sonata. The next few years will bring refinements and adjustments that will improve the car in many areas. When buying the first rendition of any car, keep that in mind.Having the patience to wait a while has it's advantages. Being the first one on the block with the new toy may outweigh that consideration for some however. Human nature -- ain't it grand !!! :)
  • fragilemnfragilemn Member Posts: 16
    I have gotten 3 quotes for Limiteds with no options. I am located in the Twin Cities. They are 24,625, 24,925 with floor mats and 24,725. Not nearly the 23,000 quote that someone on this forum received. I think I should hold out for more or see if any incentives come along :)
  • m6userm6user Member Posts: 3,181
    Go anywhere and try to find somebody to put a remote starter on your car for less than a couple hundred bucks minimum. Maybe the manufacturer could do it a little cheaper at inception but it would still add quite a bit of cost which affects price points they like to stay under in comparison to the competition. Besides, their marketing gurus probably tell them not that many customers ask for it and those that do can get it aftermarket. It's funny how people would like it but when you tell them they can have it for a price they suddenly don't think it's so great anymore. I personally live in Chicago area where it's cold in the winter, have 3 vehicles and have never really cared to have a remote starter. Most of my relatives live in Michigan and I know none of them that have opted for a remote starter.

If Hyundai thought they could draw in extra buyers by offering something like that I think they are smart enough to figure it out. Who knows, in the future they may do it just to be able to be the only value priced midsize sedan that has it standard on one of their trims but I wouldn't hold my breathe.......rear seat heaters are a lot, lot cheaper.
  • napsfannapsfan Member Posts: 23
    edited March 2010
    Yes, I would avoid any dealer adding $2500 to standard MSRP prices. Totally trying to price-gouge you, especially given that many dealers are sellling well under MSRP. (Check out fitzmall.com for example, not to mention the previous post with the 3 quotes.) That dealer sounds very untrustworthy to me.

I personally am eager to find out what the "next round" of incentives will be, now that the initial finance incentives (2.9% for 60 months, 3.9% for 72 months, etc.) are officially ended yesterday. If anyone hears any "inside scoop" of what's next, I'm eager to find out. I hear Hyundai will be advertising the 2011 Sonata heavily at the upcoming Academy Awards show (or whichever one it is coming up soon), so maybe it will be launched in connection with that blitz.
  • bobadbobad Member Posts: 1,587
    Maybe the manufacturer could do it a little cheaper at inception but it would still add quite a bit of cost which affects price points they like to stay under in comparison to the competition.

It would cost about the same as adding a power door lock to an extra door or trunk. The components are about the same, dead simple, and dirt cheap.

But I agree with you that it's not a real useful feature to most of us, and not a great marketing tool. I suppose it could sell a few cars per month nation wide.
  • shabadoo25shabadoo25 Member Posts: 232
    I had a remote starter put on my 2007 Elantra after market for $150 including labor. On a car with an ignition kill module, it would have been roughly $75 more.

Meanwhile, Acura charges about $700 for remote start as an option, just to give you a price perspective.
    Hey lancep97,

I finally posted a video, as promised, of the lighting at night.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=42C7d-ZzfIw

Hope this helps!

Cheers,
    Trevor
  • napsfannapsfan Member Posts: 23
    edited March 2010
    Very nice. Thanks!

(You're killing me here. I'm in the market soon, have a Honda lease that is not quite expired, but am eager to start down the path of the Limited Pacific Blue / Grey. I need to stay patient for the next couple/few months ... :)
  • midas69midas69 Member Posts: 118
    Actually, drove both the Sonata and the Fusion as those are my choices. Slam dunk Sonata. I didn't even bother to get a quote from the Ford guy. I drove the Sonata first and just couldn't see the Fusion as an option at that point.

I test drove the Limted in white. Let me just say, in white, this car is drop dead gorgeous. Unfortunately, the one I drove didn't have NAV. They did a search and say they only found 1 Limited with NAV in the region in a light color. The one they found was a silver with gray interior. I don't know what that looks like, but my wife doesn't want black. I thought the white with black interior was beautiful.

The most amazing thing is the front seat leg room. I'm a large land mammal, 6'2" 280lbs. And wearing a big winter jacket. I had no problem getting into our out of the front seat. And when I put the seat all the way back, I could barely reach the pedals. I had to push it forward for a safe and comfortable position. I haven't owned a car that I had to push the seat up on since the mid 70's.

Surprisingly, the rear seat was no worse than the Fusion. With the seat in a normal driving position for me, I was able to get into and out of the back. The roof line came into play, but for me, it was an easier egress than the Fusion. And sitting in back, I had enough leg room to be comfortable. Head room, not a chance. I would die back there. But it was almost as bad in the Fusion. But front seat head room, the Sonata was the clear winner.

Overall, the Sonata rode better, had more power and a much classier looking interior.

I told the salesman I'd pay $26K for it and they actually agreed. Unfortunately we couldn't work out a deal to get enough for my trade to get out of my lease 4 months early. I sent him an email offering to split the $1200 I still owe on my lease, IOW, drop it to $25,400 and I'd do it now. I doubt they'll go that low, but i cost me nothing to try.
    Hey guys,

I've got an issue to raise, that hopefully some other folks can help me (and "us") out with. As most of you probably know already, I have a 2011 Hyundai Sonata Limited, with the Dimension sound system, and iPod integration. I also own a 64GB 3G iPod Touch, which has a lot of (static-free) music on it. When playing music from the iPod through the audio system in the car, using the iPod cable, there is a highly noticeable amount of static in many different songs.

So far, I have done the following:
    * Tried using a different iPod (my girlfriend's iPod Nano) - 2010-02-28
    * Tested XM and HD radio and same music (as on iPod) on mp3 data CD (none of which exhibit the static behavior) - 2010-02-28
    * Tried the iPod Touch 3G in a showroom 2011 Sonata (exhibited same behavior) - 2010-03-02
    * Spoke to service consultant at my local dealership who indicated that another customer had reported the issue last week. Suggested replacing cable. - 2010-03-02
    * Used a different iPod cable (exchanged at the parts department at dealership) per dealership recommendation. Did not fix. - 2010-03-02
    * Called Hyundai Consumer Affairs (800-633-5151) and logged a case - 2010-03-02
    * Received call back from Hyundai Consumer Affairs stating that I needed to talk to the service manager at dealership and log a repair request - 2010-03-02
    * Called service manager back and left voicemail to call me - 2010-03-02
    * Recorded a video and posted to Youtube regarding the issue - 2010-03-02

Todo
    ----------------------
    * Wait for callback from service manager
    * Update Hyundai Consumer Affairs regarding results from service manager
    * Log support case with dealership
    ----------------------

If anyone else could post back with their experiences on the iPod / Sonata integration, I'd be most appreciative. Also, if you have not yet used an iPod with your Sonata, but have both, it would be very helpful if you could try it out, and see if you can reproduce the behavior.

FYI, I will be posting the Youtube video soon. My edits are still processing, and it will take some time to upload as well.

Cheers,
    Trevor
  • osaka75osaka75 Member Posts: 88
    Funny you should mention Fitzmall. The dealer that added $2,500 to the MSRP was fairly close to them.
  • dash5dash5 Member Posts: 421
    "I'm a large land mammal, 6'2" 280lbs."

Ha nice :P

So what about the Fusion didnt you like? I'm just curious. Or was it simply that the Sonata was just better. The Sonata, Fusion and Altima are my top 3 at the moment.
    Sonata that much better then the Fusion .. WOW. Those are the top 2 cars on my list to replace my aging corolla at the end of summer. If the Sonata stays clear from any major 1st year issues it might just be in my driveway later this year.
  • midas69midas69 Member Posts: 118
    So what about the Fusion didnt you like? I'm just curious. Or was it simply that the Sonata was just better. The Sonata, Fusion and Altima are my top 3 at the moment.

It was a number of things, some subjective, some not so much. And some of it was just the bad vibe from the Ford dealer.

On the plus side for the Sonata for me:

More room, front, back and head
    Leather felt much better
    Fusion interior looked cheap
    Fusion gauges look cartoonish compared to the Sonata
    Ride quality and overall quietness about the same, maybe slight edge Sonata.
    More power
    Push button start
    Homelink
    No contest on exterior looks

Overall the Fusion just felt cheap compared to the Sonata.

Now for the dealer bad vibe. I told the salesman I wanted to test drive the 4cyl SEL. He brought over a 6cyl SEL. They only had the 4cyl in SE. So I had to compare the interior not in the car I actually test drove.

And when we went to test drive the 4cyl, the battery was dead. Not uncommon, but it took them 20 minutes to locate the jumper box. Then it had no gas so he wouldn't let me take it on the street unless I wanted to drive him to the gas station. I just drove it around the parking lot.

And he tried to argue with me about the 6cyl having AWD. He said only the Limited version had AWD. Of course, there is no such thing as a Fusion Limited and the 6cyl indeed has AWD.

I was tempted by the Fusion because of the electronics. I kind of wanted that BLIS stuff. And the fact the NAV in the Sonata is not voice activated is a turn off. But overall, the Sonata was just too much car for the Sonata.
  • lancep97lancep97 Member Posts: 36
    The lights look plenty bright and quite nice. Really like the turn signal indicators. Thanks for making and posting the video Trevor. I'm trying to wait on the turbo version to see if Hyundai includes any additional options before I pull the trigger and buy one. Your videos make it harder and harder not to get one sooner.

Thanks again.
    edited March 2010
    Update: I've scheduled a service appointment for tomorrow morning, to have the dealership look at the car.
    Hmm this is strange, since none of the fixes you tried to far (different iPod, different Hyundai-provided cable) the only thing I could think is that there is some kind of short in the auxiliary/usb input jack. You could try hooking the iPod up through a standard auxiliary cable and also through the usb input to see if you can narrow down which one is causing the issue. Then again, it may be both, and either way it sounds like something is going to be replaced. I haven't noticed this on my stereo in the SE and haven't heard of anyone else with the problem, so it might just be a fluke. Thankfully, the dealer should be able to fix this for you free of charge.
    edited March 2010
    Ok so I am up to 1400 miles and decided to try out the 0-60 for the first time and make a couple of videos. The first is 0-58 thanks to the camera cutting off, which took about 6.5 to 6.8 seconds. The second is a full 0-60 which took about 7.2 seconds. I had ESC off but left it in Drive since I didn't have enough hands to operate the camera and paddle shifters at the same time. The engine shifted around 6000 rpms (red line is 6500) so there is room for some slight improvement as well.

0-58 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_m_bwYuMyHs

0-60 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aR9C0RXF9dY
  • benjaminhbenjaminh Member Posts: 6,311
    Trevor: Thanks for posting that. That is a really nice looking car....++
    2018 Acura TLX 2.4 Tech 4WS (mine), 2018 Honda CR-V EX AWD (wife's)
    I uploaded some more pictures including some of the engine if anyone is interested (I know someone commented about this)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/47676250@N05/sets/72157623473314312/
  • wolverinejoe80wolverinejoe80 Member Posts: 337
    Hey guys, has any one bought a camel interior yet? also, where can i find hyundai sonata production numbers? like from alabama, how many were built and etc?
    Good to know, thanks for the feedback.

FYI, here is the video about the issue:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86s1Jjq5QM4

I know that you can't really hear the static too well, but that is mostly because that particular song doesn't make it come out well, nor is the microphone on my Sanyo Xacti HD-1010 very good.

Cheers,
    Trevor
    I'm honestly very jealous of your exhaust system on the SE. My Limited sounds like a tin can (but I guess I still love it .... sorry babe).

-Trevor
    You're welcome! Glad the videos are helpful :)

-Trevor
  • kwynkwyn Member Posts: 1
    Greetings all

After 1047 posts I figured I might as well jump in.

I'm in the market right now for a new vehicle but before I make a decisions, I want to wait and see how the Limited in Harbor Grey with Wine interior looks.

Anyone able to comment on hip and lateral knee room? I have a wide [non-permissible content removed] and the center console appears in pictures to be pretty thick. I was just wondering how narrow the cockpit is in the car.

Thanks to Trevor and syitalian for the videos, btw
    Honestly, the driver's seat is quite a bit larger than it feels. The car feels kinda small and sporty, but when you actually get inside of it, it's surprisingly roomy. Both the front and back seats are plenty wide and have ample leg room.

Cheers,
    Trevor
  • andyfromvaandyfromva Member Posts: 79
    edited March 2010
    I'm going back to the dealer tomorrow to try out that front seat again. Maybe my earlier feeling of discomfort was a fluke.

The 2011 Sonata is an outstanding vehicle - I want one.
    Yes it is an amazing vehicle. By the way, you can probably learn from my mistake ... go with the SE model if you want something that sounds more sporty (with the dual exhaust). Personally, I'm still happy with all the additional features that my Limited offers, but the videos that Syitalian25 posted make me truly jealous of the dual exhaust's rumble.

Cheers,
    -Trevor
  • pqphillpqphill Member Posts: 1
    Thanks for the information. I work at the Hyundai plant in Montgomery, AL and work directly with the audio system. After reading your messages I tested an Apple iPhone 3G on a 6 CD changer Dimension system. All songs played were clear but I will continue to research this report. When you receive the report number please post it here and I will retrieve it directly. I apologize for the problem you are experiencing but with your help will hopefully be able to resolve it in the near future.

Regards,
    Philip
  • norm8_lakesnorm8_lakes Member Posts: 41
    My question has nothing to do with the ipod. I see you work for Hyundai Plant in Montgomery. Maybe you can answer this question for me. I'm in the market of buying 2011 Sonata LIMITED with camel interior with no navigation. Do you know when these features will be available for the South Florida area?
    Wow. It's nice to see that members of Hyundai's team actually read forums and care about the quality of the products they are producing. Speaks very well to Hyundai as a company.

Norm - I believe Philip states that he works with the audio system of the Sonata. You might be better off emailing/calling local Hyundai dealerships in your area. They are the ones that will pick which cars they want out of a particular allotment. If they know what you are looking for, they may accept that car for their dealership on your behalf.
  • smarty666smarty666 Member Posts: 1,503
    Can anyone help me out? can you still get rear heated seats on the 2011 Sonata Limited edition or did they delete that option completely???
    Front and rear heated seats are standard on the 2011 Sonata Limited.

http://www.hyundaiusa.com/sonata/features.aspx
  • smarty666smarty666 Member Posts: 1,503
    thanks for the help man! that is a sweet feature I don't think anyone else in the segement even offers! I think you have to go up into like a M, GS, E-class, or A4 to get that kind of stuff and you know how much those cars are ;)
    Hyundai has just posted a link on their website to the 4 1/2 minutes worth of commercials they will be showing during the 2010 Academy Awards this weekend. They will be featuring the 2011 Sonata and Genesis sedan. Surprisingly the new Tucson is not being advertised.

Hyundai has several repeat super bowl commercials voiced by different actors, but also a couple new ones touting the Sonata's top pick designation by the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS).

It's getting harder and harder each day to wait on buying a new Sonata.

http://www.hyundainews.com/Media_Kits/Video_Clips/Index.asp
  • ergsumergsum Member Posts: 146
    Here is the reason for the new voice overs. A wierd kind of Hyundai luck.

http://www.startribune.com/entertainment/movies/85858232.html