Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Spider Hunting - Alfa Romeos and the fools who want one

Comments

• It's not so much the SPICA--it's that it needs so much work, and that the paint is a cheapo job.

check these out: much better cars:

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/1412639025.html

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/1411649845.html

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/1408864617.html

As you can see, you can still get a lot of Alfa Romeo in your garage in the $4000---$6000 range without having to work on it the minute you get home.
  • lokkilokki Posts: 1,200
    http://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/cto/1413509358.html

This one looks pretty, I think... IF I can get the guy to call me back.

Interestingly enough, it's the color of my original 74 spider.

The only two spiders in the world that weren't red, black, or silver.
  • Yes that car does look interesting.
  • lokkilokki Posts: 1,200
    Missed that one.... :cry: Still hunting :shades:

• isellhondasisellhondas Issaquah WashingtonPosts: 17,367
    Talk me down before I do something very stupid.

At a car show yesterday, I spotted what HAS to be the nicest Alfa Romero Spider in the entire
    state. A PRISTINE in every respect, 67,000 mile 1993.

Factory removable hardtop, perfect interior and exterior. Dark Green, factory mag wheels,
    air conditioning, power steering and what seems to be a pampered life after talking to
    the owner/seller.

Asking 10,750. Anyone have any thoughts? Shifty?
  • MrShift@EdmundsMrShift@Edmunds Posts: 43,696
    Sounds good to me! The hardtop alone is worth $1500 bucks.

These later Spiders are pretty good cars---they aren't fast at all, but with German electronics reasonably reliable, good-looking, and while a bit flat in the market right now, will only go up in time.

parts are no problem but your biggest challenge will be to find a good and HONEST Alfa mechanic to keep up the maintenance.

Weaknesses are leaking head gaskets (from the rear, you'll see oil dripping), bad synchros 1st and 2nd (very common, live with it if it's not too bad), fan blades breaking off (get an aftermarket fan or maybe yours is all electric by 1993).

I drove my Spider all over the country with no problems.

They are roomier than a Miata by far and make an MGB feel like a dogcart.
    Wow...quick response! Thanks!

So, it sounds like the price is in line to you?

I wish I had taken pictures. You wouldn't believe this car!
    Might even be a little money on the table for you, if the car runs out right. 1994 was the "last of the spiders" for the USA, so the last model years, without the rubber whale tail, and w/ hardtop and deluxe interior, are the most valuable.

Keep in mind that the newer Spiders, from about 1981 onward (post Kammback models) behave in pricing like USED cars, not classic cars.

What that means is that the older they are, the cheaper they are (and the newer they are, the more valuable).

Ditto Miatas, 80s and 90s Porsche 911s, (except turbo) etc etc.

Just remember, they are fun, but not fast.
    I really appreciate and respect your advice. I may just persue this.

We didn't discuss price. I won't do that until I am realy to actually buy a car. He is asking 10,750 and there is probably some room there.

Aside from a never driven Trailer Queen, I don't know how it could have been any nicer. Still, I need it like a hole in the head.
    Well take 'er for a spin, see if like the power level, the driving position, etc. and by all means play with all the knobs and switches. The AC should work really well---mine did.

Also if the hardtop is on, you're going to have to remove it to inspect the soft top.

Maybe you DO need a hole in the head---I mean, to relieve excess pressure! :P
    I keep thinking this feeling will pass. If not, I'll call him in a few days.

He had a TON of exposure at the show yesterday and if it didn's get snapped up (don't think so) he may get a bit softer on the price too.
    It's a good buy I think, somewhat underpriced if as sharp as you say:

check this one out:

http://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/carsforsale/alfa_romeo/quadrifoglio/1367762.- html
    Compared to that one, this one is a steal.

Of course, anyone can ask anything.
    It's a very fair price seems like.
    The way I look at it, if I were to pay 10,000 for it and two years later, I decided to dump it, what's the most I could lose?

But, then, selling one would limit my audience compared to a Miata I would think for sure!
    Oh I don't think so. Miatas are a dime a dozen and very cheap to buy. Your audience is smaller but more affluent and informed.
  • hpmctorquehpmctorque Posts: 4,120
    The fact that Fiat will reintroduce the Alfa Romeo brand to the U.S. next year should help the values of old Alfas in a subliminal way, I would think, as more Americans will become acquainted with the Alfa name. It should help the heritage factor, not big time, but somewhat.
    The Alfa enthusiasts in the USA have always been quite active, enthusiastic and "clubby", and see themselves as quite apart from the Fiat brand.
  • fintailfintail Posts: 32,943
    I saw a dark red late Spider this morning, thought it might be the car isell saw, before I came here to see his was green. It was in normal traffic, didn't look to be having troubles.
    Alfa Spiders are quite reliable cars, especially the 80s models--as good as anything out there at the time.